Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Odyssey Audio, iPod, Bluetooth, Video Questions

Comments

• calisteelcalisteel Member Posts: 22
    Hmmm...I have one center knob that states FF FR. This knob can be turned to allow control to the front or rear and pushed to disable sound to the rear. Maybe we are talking about the same thing though. :confuse:

Just take your manual some snacks and a few CD's out to your car while everyone is asleep in the house. Then just sit in the van and read the manual and play with everything until the sun comes up. :) That is what I did.
  • odyarchitectodyarchitect Member Posts: 20
    Some DVD's have screens that you have to navigate thru to get to the movie. Thankfully most DVD's default to the play mode by hitting enter first (the play button up front). I don't use the NAV to control the DVD - the radio works just fine. I just sometimes wish I could TEMPORARILY see the video to navigate the DVD's menus. Our kids are young. This will get better...

I certainly agree this is a safety issue. But just FYI, there are people who make plug-and-play options to view the DVD (and backup camera) on the NAV screen. I don't have one, but give it consideration for this issue alone.

Of course one day (maybe soon) I'll be connecting my Iphone to the AUX inputs and start the video for the kids. Just kidding, maybe a future video Ipod though...
  • chfengrchfengr Member Posts: 4
    I bought my 07 in April. Battery went low yesterday, came right back with a boost but the DVD is doing the same as yours did. I called the dealer (we live 100 miles away) trying to find if the system had a reset. They were clueless. Do you happen to know what your dealer did to correct the issue? I am trying to avoid a trip there or at last give them a head start on the fix. What dealer did you buy yours from? Thanks.
  • glanderkglanderk Member Posts: 5
    The battery on my 2003 Odyssey was dead this morning. I cleaned my car yesterday and left the interior light on. After I got it jumped, I went for a drive with my kids. They wanted to watch a DVD and wouldn't you know, it didn't work. The DVD was stuck and wouldn't play. I have been tearing my hair out trying to figure out what to do. I discovered by accident that if you turn your DVD player off AND turn your car off, THEN press the stop/eject button a few times, the DVD will finally come out. Unfortunately, when I put a different DVD in, nothing happens. It still won't eject or play. I did notice that the DVD screen shows the number 78 - not sure what that means, if anything. I had to turn the car and the DVD player off and start over again. I will call my Dealer tomorrow and see if they can help me out. It needs to be fixed! I have 3 boys that FIGHT if they aren't entertained! I will update when I find a solution. Please let me know if you have any success on your end!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Due to the anti-theft design of the radio head, when the battery dies, after you jump the battery or install a new one, you have to enter a six digit code in the radio head to "re-activate" it.

I think the code is on the slide out cupholders right underneath the radio head. Mine is on the left side, on a white sticker. The top number is the six digit code and the bottom number is the ID number for the radio head I believe.

Hope this helps :)
    I brought my car to the Honda dealer today. They took the DVD player out hoping to be able to "reset" it. They said that it needed to be replaced. The whole unit. Mine was still covered by warranty, since I have less than 36K miles on my car.

So, for any of you who had the same problem as I did with the DVD player not working after your battery dies and after putting the anti-theft code in the radio to get it back up and working, you may need a new DVD unit. I don't know how much it would have cost, but the guy said they were EXPENSIVE.
  • graystricklandgraystrickland Member Posts: 51
    The entire RES system, included upgraded head unit, dvd drive, display, wireless controller and two wireless headphones is less than $1600 when added as an option on a *new* Ody. However, when you start replacing the parts, look out. List price for everything that goes in the 2nd row ceiling is over $2500 when you go to replace it. I know, because after my '05 Ody was stolen and recovered without the 2nd row unit, I got to replace it.

BTW... I saved nearly a $Grand over list price by buying from a Honda dealer in RH instead of buying from my hometown dealer.
    When I got my Ody I was given a business card with all my Anti-Theft codes and serial numbers. I was also told by the dealer what to do if the battery died. There are 2 codes. One for the DVD and one for the Radio.

Your dealer should have this information on file for you.
    I have the card with the radio codes. After disconnecting the battery I entered the radio code, the vehicle asks for nothng more. The manaul says nothing about a DVD code for the 2007 model. I have spoken with the dealer and they are just as clueless. Just wish the closest Honda dealer was not 100 miles away! I tried several things, disconnected the battery, the fuse, even hit the thing to see if it was stuck. It just sits there saying a DVD is in it (there isn't) and the screen and dash read-out says "loading". THis is not a good start with this vehicle.
    I'm sorry that you are having a tough time with your new car. I REALLY love mine, and I'm sure you will too. I am waiting for the replacement DVD to come in. The dealer told me that the unit needed to be replaced. They said that it couldn't be reset. Apparently, there IS a difference between the car coming with a factory installed DVD, or if you have Honda put the DVD in as an option. He said that because my DVD player was an option add-on, the part needed to come from somewhere else. It would take 10 days to get the part as opposed to the regular 4. Since you are so far away from your dealer, I would see if they could order your part and have it in stock and ready for you BEFORE you head out to see them. Otherwise, you'll be taking the trip twice!
    Good luck.
    Wow! Sounds like your dealer is a bit clueless. If you van came with RES you should have 2 codes. One for the radio and one for the DVD or RES. If not then you need to call another honda dealer and give them your DVD serial number and see if they can not help you.

The card I got had both the radio and DVD codes on it, along with the serial number for both as well.

Also after purchasing my Ody, my dealer had a new car orientation for all new car owners where they went over all option in the car and anyone could ask questions. We get to learn all kinds of neat tricks about the car that you may not have figured out on your own. Little things but cool none the less. Things like;

1. If you turn off the car (Key out even) and do not open the doors you can still operate the windows.
    2. Press and hold the unlock button on the remote will roll down all the windows.
    3. How to use the NAV and a boat load of features.
    4. The auto off headlights (Even on the EX and EX-L).
    5. All about the Anti Theft system and how to reset it with the radio and DVD codes.
    6. Much more stuff as well but to much to list.

I know most of the stuff may already be known but not to everyone. This New Car Orientation was a really nice touch that the dealer offered.
    My vehicle came from the factory with the RES installed. I have only the card for the radio with the code and the ID number. The manual tells all about the card and it's relationship with the radio but nothing about the DVD or it ever requiring being reset, seems the manual might mention it if it were so. I like the Odyssey, I bought it in April, traded in a 2002 model, wanted the extra features and the Touring model. I have 6K miles on it already! The 2002 never returned to the dealer, this one is 3 months old and is headed back already!
  • dad23dad23 Member Posts: 870
    We were headed to the mountains this past weekend and just as we left, heard a few loud pops from the speakers...and then no sound :( The radio comes on, and we get a picture on the DVD, but no sound at all. I would think id it were a fuse, the radio wouldn't come on, but maybe not? I can turn the volume way up, watching the bars show up on the creen, then they slowly dissapear on their own. Any ideas or suggestions? The major problem is we have three little ones in car seats, and can't really afford to be without the vehicle too long, without renting one I guess...
  • hackerjunkhackerjunk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 Honda Odyssey, which has an AUX/XM button, but I do not have XM. There are two options for me that I've found. there may be others, but I've only been looking for a few minutes:

I can plug in an aftermarket device that uses the 14 pin connector that is for the AUX/XM. That gives me an 3 mm connection for audio in. You can then plug that into any headphone jack, including that on the iPod.

There is another model that automatically detects the XM or AUX, so you can add XM later or in your case, keep the current XM that you have.

I am going to plug in portable DVDs that strap to the back of head rests. (The FM transmitters have too much alternator whine and static so I am going to try this.) This will provide a "perfect" sounding connection based on other forums.

Do a search for "Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X".

Here is one site:
    LogJam Forum

"Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X is an auxiliary input converter that is designed to work with selected Acura and Honda vehicles (see specific vehicle application list below) that have the factory XM option, keeping the factory XM operational. This allows you to plug in an external audio source, like a portable MP3 player, satellite tuner, DVD player, or iPod."

Works in the following vehicles: (Updated 08/07/07)

2003-2007 Honda Accord
    2006-2007 Honda Civic
    2005-2006 CR-V (not compatible w/2007)
    2003-2007 Honda Element
    2007 Honda Fit
    2005-2007 Honda Odyssey
    2006-2007 Honda Pilot
    2006-2007 Honda Ridgeline
    2004-2007 Honda S2000 (satellite-ready radio only)
    2005-2006 Acura MDX (not compatible w/2007)
    2004-2006 Acura NSX (not compatible w/2007)
    2004-2006 Acura TL (not compatible w/2007)
    2004-2007 Acura TSX (Satellite capable double-DIN radio only)

About $100 off the internet. About $30 to $60 to have it installed at a local place like Circuit City, Best Buy or another car stereo place. (They will install equipment that you have bought elsewhere.)

Looks like you can get an iPod specific connection along with RCA connection with their "UII" (Universal iPod Interface) This one requires you connect to the electricity. I read on another site that a person had read on another site that people had problems with other devices in the car after doing this. (It's like that telephone game you use to play as a child!)

You can go to blitzsafe.com They have their own forum.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,513
    I have a USA spec unit that does the same basic thing. Dedicated ipod plug (to the dock, it also charges), along with RCA inputs that I use for my XM roady. Not problems at all, with those gadgets, or the regular stereo.

I think you need an adapter (basically a splitter) if you have factory XM, since the device uses the same port IIRC. But since you don't have it, no problemo!

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

Quick update, sad news...

The dealership called to let us know what was wrong with the radio. It seems one of our beloved children decided to use it as a piggy bank. They found several coins in it which caused it to short, and not be covered by the warranty. Now if I can just find a replacement for less than $1000 :sick:
    But I think you can get a new kid for less than $1,000. I might just have one available! :blush:

Oh, you meant the DVD player?

Well, if that is how your kids treat it, I am a big fan of portable units. You can get one for LT $100 these days.

Yeah, problem is we don't know which one of the three it was! The DVD player should be fine, just the radio unit which also controls the DVD player is toast :(
    >>> The DVD player should be fine, just the radio unit which also controls the DVD player is toast

Where did the kids insert coins in the headunit? The only thing to use as a piggy bank is the dvd player -- at least on my '05 Ody (with RES and NAV). The cd player is behind the navi screen and I can't imagine an opening for a coin anywhere else.

Oh... and I'd chop off a kid's hand if it reached into the first row anywhere.
    Where did the kids insert coins in the headunit?

Yes, our headunit houses the CD and cassette player, so two slots to insert coins, business cards, etc. The dealer wants $850 for a new one, I found one at a salvage yard in TX for $350, but the guy said State Farm had a hold on it, so my search continues.
  • slowlifeslowlife Member Posts: 4
    I have the '06 Touring edition (purchased in Oct ’05) and have exactly the same problem. I have made no modifications to the system. The headphones worked great for a few months (wired and wireless), then they went through a period of working intermittently on the DVD output, and now they are dead on the DVD output. Of course, I changed batteries several times. It cannot be the batteries, as the third row jacks suffer the same issue.

The problem in a nut shell is that you put on the headphones. As you switch between sources, you can hear AM, FM, CD, XM, but when you switch to DVD all you hear is a hissing sound through the headphones (while a DVD is playing).

There is a technical service bulletin out by Honda 05-049 FEB 06 “Entertainment System - No Sound From Rear Headphones.” You seem to have exactly the same problem as outlined in the bulletin. Ask the dealer to read the bulletin.

I took the bulletin number to my dealer, but he said it only applies to the ‘05 model. Somehow I doubt that. Anyway the van is in the shop and has been for the last 2 days. I’ll let you know the outcome and what they did.

Please try one thing with your van and let me know what happens. Put your radio on XM mode through the regular speakers (a music station if you subscribe or the preview channel if you don’t subscribe), drive into a parking garage structure or somewhere that you no longer get XM radio reception, park and turn off the van. When you restart the van in that “no reception” zone, try playing a DVD and see if the headphones (both wired and wireless) start working. Somehow I think the XM reception may influence the problem because that seems to be happening at the Honda dealer. In other words, you drive into the steel service bay, lose reception on XM and the headphones start to work (does that sound crazy or what?)

I’ll keep you posted.
    I'll try the garage thing and post back.

I'll go see the dealer as you suggest and post back.

How can you find all the service bulletins for the Odyssey? I got three in the mail the other day, but never one about the audio system you described.
    I also have the '06 Touring. I was looking forward to the 360 watt subwoofer. However, I don't really hear any bass sounds, and the radio doesn't seem to have any control feature to mute or turn up a subwoofer. I turned the radio up and moved around the entire van and cannot hear any subwoofer sound source.

Let me know if you find out anything.

Thanks.
    Try www.alldatadiy.com. You can see all the service bulletins for your make and model by title only. You have to pay a subscription fee to download the actual bulletin.

Thanks for trying out the XM reception headphones interaction issue. I am very interested to learn the results. The Honda dealer came up with the idea that the XM reception is causing the problem with the headphones problem via a grounding issue. I bet they just replace the whole unit, in which cause I would have never known the answer if the XM reception is really the culprit.

Thanks,
  • samksamsamksam Member Posts: 9
    Hi, just bought an Odyssey EX-L/With DVD...didnt want to buy the optional MP3 CD player from Honda since it was too expensive.

Any suggestions for an after-market MP3 CD player ?

BTW, Is it possible at all to replace the in-dash 6CD changer with a MP3 compatible one...?

Frustrating that this feature isnt there yet in Honda Odyssey considering that this MP3 technology is almost 10 years old and does not need any hardware change but only the software code. 'hope this is available in 08' Honda..based on the Civic & Accord models
    Slowlife,

I'm sorry to report that I've let you down, but at least I can offer new information. I unexpectedly had to take my '05 Ody to my dealer today for some work. Since it was there anyway, I told the "Service Advisor" about my situation and even demonstrated it for him and for the tech (who was said to be the dealership's electronics guru). I said that I thought that there was a service bulletin on this. They said two things: (1) it's a common issue, easily fixed by replacement of a minor cable from the head unit to the dvd drive and (2) there is no applicable service bulletin on this. I let them fix it. It took less than 30 minutes. When finished they presented me with a bill for $58.xx. Since I have a 100k mile / 7 year warranty on my van, I just reminded them that it ought to be free, whether under a service bulletin or under my warranty.

So that's a roundabout way of saying, I'm sorry, but I can't test your theory now. But I hope that it means that you're only facing a 30 minute wait and a $58 charge. If you PM me your email address or fax, I can send you a copy of my service ticket (with part nos.) if you wish.
    Follow up...

My local dealer fixed my problem with Part no. 39117-SHJ-A90 ("Sub Wire, 39999") for $15.86, plus $41.00 in labor to install it.

FWIW... when I search for that part at my favorite discount source for Honda parts, it shows that part no. as "sub cord, dvd" for $10.57.

Before replacing your head unit, I'd say it's worth at least trying the replacement of this cord. My dealer said that this was a common problem (no headphone sound from dvd source, but headph sound from every other source) and that the dealership had replaced this cord several times to fix this problem, but continued to deny that there was a service bulletin for this.

Good luck, YMMV
  • oowieoowie Member Posts: 12
    Is there anyway that a dealer would be able to add a DVD to the EX-L? Or would it be too difficult because of the sunroof? Also, would the controls to the DVD be at the front of the van like in the EX-l w/DVD? Or would it be best to take it to an outside audio/video place?

Thanks
    I am sure they can add it. My EX-L has RES (Rear Entertainment System) and I also have a Sunroof. However with that said, if you already have the van and just want to add a DVD system I would just add an aftermarket system. Cheaper and you can get a better system or what you want as you have choices.
  • sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    Agree with calisteel. The cost to add the OEM system after-the-fact would be crazy. It's a great system, but not worth a small fortune. The original price when buying new is quite high enough IMHO. I probably should have gone with a mobile system because we just don't use it much and have already had the DVD player replaced under warranty. That won't happen on my dime!
    I agree with Sebring95's opinion (go aftermarket; not OEM) and here's why. The video display unit that goes in the ceiling is $2500 just for the part. Since there's no cutout in the headliner, the dealer would either need to cut the headliner to install it, or replace the entire headliner. The display unit does nothing without (1) the headunit ($803.00) and the (2) dvd drive ($681.00) which go in the dash. Your existing head unit would have to be replaced and you'd have to buy a new dvd drive. On top of that, you might have to install a new or different wiring harness to make it all work. This could easily run $4500 with labor.

On the other hand, for a ton less, you can get an aftermarket dvd player in the ceiling. If you want to control it from the front, you'll probably need to replace your head unit, but even then, it would be lots cheaper. For half of what the dealer would charge, you could have a new headunit, video panels in the sun visors and a flip down for the rear seats.

By the way, the entire "Rear Entertainment System" (consisting of the video screen, upgraded headunit and dvd drive) is only $1500 extra on a new Ody. Go figure.
    You can get a dual screen portable these days for only a few hundred bucks. Nice big screen, without having to crane your neck to look at the ceiling. You can keep the player part accessible from the front seats if that is what you want.

We ended up getting each kid (we have 2) a portable unit for when we travel. Nice thing about that is they each watch what they want, since they never agree on something to watch together. We also have a 5 year age difference, so there are "compatibility" issues with what they can watch.

If you cant to get really fancy, for less than the ceiling mount, get a unit with screens built into your headrests. That looks slick.

• kevin808kevin808 Member Posts: 2
    hackerjunk: Did you have any success installing the Blitzsafe HON/AUX DMX V.2X?

This sounds like a nice solution without having to resort to expensive drop down video monitors, or the even more expensive upgrade to the EX-L RES.
    Thanks for all of your help...I have checked out the options and will try the headrest DVD monitors w/10.4" screens. Thanks!
  • kevin808kevin808 Member Posts: 2
    oowie, please let us know which headrest dvd model you get, and how it works out for you. I'm still trying to figure out what to do!
    I am looking at the T-view dual headrest set w/ remote, 2 wireless headphones and FM transmitter. The screens are as stated above. The location of the dvd is inside one of the moitors. I will respond after the install.
    out.
  • exl2003exl2003 Member Posts: 1
    I recently got a 2003 EXL Odyssey and everything seemed to be okay till last afternoon. There was a click like noise and sound from the radio went off although the radio was still on. After few minutes the sound came back by itself. This has happened a couple of more times since then. I tried switching off and on the radio couple of times but that didn't help much. :confuse: Any pointers are welcome!

Thanks in advance
    Do you happen to have kids?????
    Graystrickland,

Glad you got your headphones fixed. I think they ended up replacing the same thing on mind. "No. 39117-SHJ-A90 Sub-wire, DVD" The service guy said it was a defective subwiring harness of the DVD player. It was fixed under warranty so the invoice doesn't reflect the cost.

Happy Vanning!

Slowlife
    I guess I shouldn't have just thrown out the kids question and left you hanging like that. I ask because our radio did he same thing you described a few weeks back as we were headed to the mountians. Turns out one of the kids must have put some coins in the cassette or CD player and it shorted out the radio and of course they won't cover that. I've found a dealer who has the unti for around $600, still hoping to find one at a salvage yard or on ebay cheaper! Good luck, hope your problem is someting more simple to fix.
  • raj1raj1 Member Posts: 27
    I have a basic question. Does the odyssey have an aux input thru which I can plug in and listen to my mp3 player?
    If not, does the RES system in the odyssey provide this feature? Can I play video thru it also?
    IF you have an Ody (2005 or newer) with RES, then you will have two audio and one video input jacks in the left armrest of the third row. You can string a cable across the floor from the driver's area to those audio jacks, set your headunit to the AUX source and that will let you play your iPod through the sound system. However, even with really good cables, you have to max the volume on the iPod and play the stereo at higher than normal volume levels to hear the iPod. It works, but not well.

A better solution is a USA-Spec iPod input device. It's about $150 or so (Crutchfield sells them, among others). I paid $50 to have one installed. It charges the pod, gives limited ability to control the pod through the steering wheel controls and you get a much better/louder/cleaner signal.
    I took the vehicle back to the dealer, they immediately replaced the DVD player with one from a new vehicle on the lot. (great dealership Pearson Honda, Richmond, VA). While my vehicle was there another came in with the same problems. Also, while I was there, the service manager told me if yuo have a problem with a run flat tire you can put a regular honda wheel on the vehicle. It's best to put it on the rear. So I guess I will get a regular honda wheel to take on long trip.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might want to stop by the new Dealer Ratings & Reviews feature to let others know of your experiece.
  • allmylifesoleiallmylifesolei Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I was wondering what program do you use to make backup copies of your dvds in order to play them back onto the Honda Odyssey's dvd player. I too have children and I've lost count of how many movies they have ruined. I have used DVD Decrypter and DVDShrink and they play on my home dvd player but not on the Honda Odysseys' player. PLEASE HELP. Don't know what program to use. :confuse:
  • odyarchitectodyarchitect Member Posts: 20
    I used to use DVDShrink but had varying degrees of success. It proved to not be reliable in the Ody. I have resorted to ripping the DVD (extracting the audio/video stream of the main movie only) and reburning only that with Nero. This process is more reliable (but still not perfect) and also elminates one other problem - menus. I take out all the menus this way and have the movie just start to automatically play. You can also use Nero to burn about any digital movie file to a DVD. I've put bunches of cartoons recorded digitally off the media PC and put them on 1 DVD in the van. Very handy to have 10-12 30min segments of Dora the Explorer or Sesame Street! Nero is not specifically a backup utlitiy (and I don't use it to rip out the video) but is excellent burning software.

I haven't tried this but I've seen some others on the Ody forums talk about how DVD disc brand/quality can distinctly affect the outcome. I'm too cheap and just use the least expensive DVD spool I can get my hands on. If it doesn't work, I just burn it again or try it another way.

Unfortunately, this may not be the answer you're looking for. Ripping a movie is a bit of a deal and you've got to be reasonalby savvy at video editting and computer usage - takes a lot of PC power. www.videohelp.com is a big boost.

Some burning tips:
    - make sure you finalize the disc
    - don't burn too fast - use 4x speed and may be OK

check out these threads from another Ody forum:
    http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36037&highlight=dvd+bac- kup

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=34201&highlight=dvd+bac- kup

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20486&highlight=dvd+bac- kup

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21728&highlight=dvd+bac- kup

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=19266&highlight=dvd+bac- kup

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=16943&highlight=dvd+bac- kup

And more, just search. Good luck.
    We have an 04 EX-RES, just had to replace main radio unit with one purchased from Ebay. The radio and CD work fine, but trying to use DVD or AUX results in "ERR" flashing on display. Just wondering if there was a code for the DVD player, if the two units need to be synched up somehow or if I wasted $$$. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!
    A combination of two programs: (1) AnyDVD and (2) CloneDVD (both sold by Slysoft dot com) make the process of making perfect backups as easy as using a Xerox machine. If you can run the office copier, you can use this. AnyDVD "unlocks" encrypted (Hollywood) dvds and CloneDVD lets you pick and choose what titles you want (I always skip the movie trailers, etc.). I burn using a "single layer" (a/k/a DVD-5) drive and CloneDVD automatically compresses as needed to make a movie recorded on a "dual layer" (a/k/a DVD-9) original fit on discs that I can burn. I burn only using +R discs. Everything I've ever burned using AnyDVD, CloneDVD and +R discs will play in my '05 Odyssey. The only downside is that the software is not cheap. You can find much less expensive -- even free -- software which will do the same thing. I like the fact that I pop in an original, make about four mouse clicks and walk away. About 15-30 minutes later I hear some music alerting me to swap the original for a blank. About 10 minutes later the job is done. Like I said, if you can run the office copier, you can run this -- but it's not cheap.
  • davethewave1davethewave1 Member Posts: 26
    I've been using AnyDVD and Nero Recode. I'm using Nero, only because I already owned it. The SlySoft products are good and they are constantly updating them.

I've only had a very small handfull of DVDs that AnyDVD could not handle.
    Hmmm... Nero Recode... I own that too, but it never occurred to me to use it with AnyDVD instead of using CloneDVD. I wonder if Nero is faster or easier? I'll have to play around with it and see.