Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    desertguy,

The fix is to have your dealer install a check valve, preferably 2, in the washer fluid lines from the fluid reservoir to the nozzles. The most successful fix is to install a check valve as close as possible to each nozzle. The check valves will prevent any fluid from leaking past it.

Mike
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    Not sure about the chicago area, but that seems high. I have a 39 month (15K), 3.0 X1, X2, X3, Premium Sound, Xenon, Metallic Paint, Navigation, I put $0 down, and my payment including tax is $611.
  • expy01expy01 Member Posts: 10
    What is the residual and the money factor for a 2.5 sport.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Mike - Thanks for the info. I will go to the dealer with the knowledge I need.
    keep in mind the check valve is backordered, so don't expect an immediate fix.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,498
    ...on eBay..looks like $30000+. What does one expect to buy one from a dealer for?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A major midwestern newspaper is interested in speaking with folks who have anecdotes and opinions on rear wheel drive vs. front wheel drive in winter driving conditions.
    We're also looking for people who recently switched one way or the other and what they like/dislike about what they're driving now.
    If you are interested in participating, please provide your city/state of residence and your daytime phone number to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than March 20, 2002.
    Thanks as always,
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• kipp6kipp6 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know of any lease specials or dealer cash available on the X-type?

Thanks
    Chris
  • goolappergoolapper Member Posts: 27
    in Miami is adv a "pre-moving" sale on X-types. 349 mo 2.5 AT w/metallic paint...other elements
    of the lease seem same as whats been adv around here the last month or so. The new
    elements of course are tossing in the AT & metallic paint
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    is no small thing that is almost $2,000 more car for the same price.
    I argued muchos postos ago that if Jag did exactly that they would start selling the Xtype like
    hot-cakes! But think this lease deal is just a short time offer at the local dealer down here...
    Has anybody else outside the SoFlo area seen this kind of lease offer on the X?
  • smilleresqsmilleresq Member Posts: 3
    I think that the $349.00/month lease on a 2.5 x-type is a nationwide offering. It certainly is available here in the northeast and is heavily advertised
    the 349 seems 2 be standard now but are they throwing in the AT & metallic paint at that
    price in other parts of the country?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    How many months is the lease? Maybe I will get one used when all of them are coming on for renew time.
  • heelntoeheelntoe Member Posts: 21
    Hi everybody. I used to be quite active in the TH but took a much needed rest; some of you may recognize me after a bit.

I've been reading the X-Type discussion because we've decided to lease one for my wife, being somewhat enticed by the $349 advertisements.

Here are some specifics on the deal. The original $349 lease did not include metallic paint or AT. The current deal does but requires an add'l $800 upfront, precisely the 44% residualized cost of the options. The residual on the deal is 56%, the money factor is 0.00148 and they're waiving some of the fees. The residual on the 3.0 is a bit higher and there is still $2100 going to the dealers on those, as per my sales rep. I've also heard of 0.00130 money factors. The advertised lease is 39 months but the rates are good for 36 months as well; the residual changes just a bit.

I'm a little dissappointed in the option packaging myself but think that the base 2.5 is a better deal than a base A4, C-Class or 325i, especially in light of the leasing incentives and the only standard AWD and leather. Location and reputations of dealers was also a deciding factor in our purchase.

I would have liked the 3.0 but we wanted a manual. Not only do you have to pay for an option you don't want (AT) when you buy the 3.0 but try to find one... None in stock and none in the near (< 2 months) future. I wish that we could have got the Sport package without the Premium but you can't so we didn't. The X1 just doesn't seem worth it. 2.5 in BRG with a $200 CD player... that's all we got.

All in all... they showed me good money on the trade and I bumped up the mileage from the stated 10K to 12K annually so the deal is $410 after taxes with $2K down for 36 months.

In conclusion, base model to base model, I think the X-Type compares favorably. If they change the option packaging dependancies (incl. reducing the cost of the 3.0 and breaking out the AT) and stocked 3.0 5-speeds, I'd probably have gone with a 3.0 Sport. I wouldn't be surprised if this changes for '03.
    where are you located? there's a dealer in the dallas area that has a couple cars in stock that have x2 but not x1. yes, they shouldn't exist, but i've been in them.
    The dealer we bought our 3.0 from here in So. Cal. had so many 3.0 manuals that we had trouble getting the color we wanted in an automatic. I guess it must be a regional thing. This guy is a new Jag dealer and has only had them for 4 months. He has been a Linc/Merc dealer for yrs though.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome back, heelntoe, good to see you again.
    jonty12: I'm in Pittsburgh so the oddity X-Types are a little too far away. A shame...

desertguy: When we first went to look at the X-Type, they only had one 5-speed, period. The salesman did acknowledge that the BMW/Audi dealer most likely had manuals when I suggested that I could shop there... He said they were trying to stock more. The in-stock 5-speed was a loaded 2.5. No 5-speed 3.0's were in the foreseeable future, loaded or not.

This was at Bobby Rahal's new Jag/Volvo/Aston Martin dealership in Wexford, PA.
  • blehnerzblehnerz Member Posts: 6
    When I bought my 3.0 Automatic, the nearest 3.0 manual in platinum was in Texas. The dealer wanted to charge me $700-$1000 to ship it to Colorado.

On a side note, I posted a message in Jagtalk.com regarding performance upgrades for the 3.0's. Anyone seen anybody selling them - filters, chips, etc.? I didn't have any luck there, although someone gave me the following URL - http://www.arden.de/homee.htm - which is a European aftermarket parts manufacturer. There are some sweet pic's of an X-type with lots of add-ons. How many of those would pass in the U.S. is beyond me...

• mfprmfpr Member Posts: 41
    Not sure if you noticed that Arden has distributors in the US. Here are the ones listed on Arden's website. They should be able to tell you what modifications are legal in this country.

Mike

UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
    New York tri-state area

MANHATTEN JAGUAR
    11th Avenue at 55th street
    10019 New York
    Tel. 212 459 9400 - Fax 212 459 1990

East coast

WHEELTEC of TAMPA
    4899-G West Waters Avenue
    33634 Tampa FL
    Tel. 813 886 8700 - Fax 813 886 4484

E-Mail: jeff@wheeltec.com

West coast

XKs Unlimited
    850, Fiero Lane
    San Luis Obispo
    93401 California
    Tel. 805 544 7864 - Fax 805 544 1664

E-Mail: camplen@aol.com
    I would be interested mainly in a K&N filtercharger and possibly a new computer chip, neither of which are available from Arden. K&N, are you listening?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    It takes a lot of potential customers to make it cost effective for aftermarket upgrades. If the automaker doesn't get the aftermarket vendors involved before the vehicle goes on sale it may be several months or even a year or two before you'll see any parts. You might get lucky since the 3.0 duratech is used in other ford and jaguar products (LS and S-type to name a few). The LS sold 60K the first year but it took at least that long for performance parts to show up. That's the disadvantage of new technology.
  • joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    Is there some reason that this should work on this particular car? I read most of the posts on the forum devoted to K & N and got the distinct impression that other than some nice moaning noise, no one ever was able to prove any benefit from using one. Did I miss something?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Maybe we should just start emailing each other. :-)

These low restriction air filters by themselves can make anywhere from 0 to 2 or 3 extra hp. It all depends on whether the filter is the most restrictive part of the intake/exhaust system. If it's not then it won't help. If it is then it usually only helps a little (most reports say 2 or 3 hp - hardly noticeable). But if you open up other parts of the intake or exhaust system then you can get more of an increase. The most restrictive part of the system will determine max power. A "filtercharger" typically removes the enclosed airbox so it can increase flow a little more than just replacing the stock filter with a K&N or similar. Opening up the airbox (like the 2002 V6 LS did) can help too.

Bottom line: with no other mods expect very little or no increase in hp. With other intake and/or exhaust mods you might get a few extra hp. But I buy them not for any big hp boost but because they're reusable. Just clean them, reoil them and reinstall them once every couple of years. Any hp bump or exhaust rumble is gravy.
    on lower priced luxery cars

www.msnbc.com/news/721828.asp
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Just published on Edmunds.com is a review of the 2.5 X-Type. Interestingly, this also is a pre-production model. You can access the article through the Helpful Links box on the left side of the page.

And, er, ahem, I don't think you're gonna like this review much better than the last - although it is not as bad, if I recall the 3.0 review correctly.

Let's talk about it. And don't forget to use the Feedback section on the site to let the editors know what you think.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Last time you guys had a Jag you kept complaining because you kept smacking it up :)

Bill
    i loved that long term used xj test. the car runs great. glowing reviews. a few minor issues, but mostly, they're stunned that a used jaguar is so good. then wham, they smash the thing. TWICE. the first time almost totalled. the rest of the test the car has issues, and they blame jaguar quality! overall review ends up being negative. THEY SMASHED IT TWICE!!
  • hyperion1hyperion1 Member Posts: 17
    Yeah...how true about the VDP Edmunds tested.

How many times do you think they'll total that Ferrari in the current fleet?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Dunno.

THink they'll let the same Bozo who drove the Jag behind the wheel?:)

Bill
    remember, there were two bozos, not one. they may run out of testers!!
  • teach1065teach1065 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just picked up her new X Type. She previously had a 1994 MB280C which was hazardous in both the rain and snow. I am delighted with a purchase of the X-type Jag. It has a wealth of safety features and is a pure joy to drive. We drove down to Virginia Beach from Long Island,NY. and discovered before leaving home at night that the right side headlight was out. In Virginia Beach we stopped by the Checkered Flag Jag dealer who assisted us with the repair. It appeared that the light was faulty from the factory as the wire connector was attached to plastic rather than wiring which rendered the light inoperable. To be on the safe side they installed a new light bulb and two hours later we were back on the road. I wish to thank Michael R. Williams and his service staff for their prompt service. Additionally I question the dealership where we purchased the Jag from as they should not have delivered the vehicle without doing a thorough inspection. I will not give the name of the dealership at this time, but I will once I hear there response to this incident. To all concerned make sure you do a thorough inspection of your vehicle before you take delivery.
  • jagboyxkrjagboyxkr Member Posts: 53
    Today was one of the most exciting days of my life. I am now the proud owner of a brand-new 2002 Carnival Red Metallic Jaguar X-TYPE 3.0!!! The car is beyond perfection, and I adore it. Every inch of paint is perfect and smooth, and the ivory interior is absolutely meticulous. The ride is also smooth and sporty, but not harsh at all, and the powerful engine accelerates the car willingly and with ease. It is fast! Mine is also fully loaded, minus the GPS and Sport Package (I like the chrome). My parents got it for me as a gift (it is the ultimate gift) and surprised me with it when they came to pick me up after swim practice ended. When I saw it in the parking lot, I pointed it out as the exact car I wanted, and then my father pushed the remote key and the lights flashed at me! Words cannot describe how overly filled with joy I am, and I cannot thank my parents enough.

All of you considering an X-TYPE, I recommend getting one. I love mine!!! Now I have to change my name to "jagboyx-type".
    Congrats on the new ride. Sounds just about like mine, same color and all. As for the ivory interior......I'm afraid it will be extremely hard to keep it clean and nice looking. Think I will check out sheepskins or some other cover. I am just starting month 4 of ownership.
    Thanks. They are pretty great cars.

Oh yeah, for the interior, just be sure not to wear any clothes that the ivory leather will absorb colors from, ie: black or dark leather pieces such as belts, etc. Usually only other leathers will transfer colors to the ivory leather seats, so if you just keep it away from those things, it should stay pretty clean and new looking. The Conolly leather is otherwise very resilient.

The brochure for the X-TYPE also displays some seat covers in the very end of the accessories section in case you are still looking. Those are probably a bit pricey however.

How has your car been holding up? Did you have any problems that you needed to have fixed like the runny windshield sprayers? Have fun with your car!
    I have had no problems except the windshield washers. I just had a complementary oil change that this dealer offers between 1-2000 miles. Their remedy for the squirting was to punch a small hole in the top of the washer bottle to relieve the pressure. Not sure if this is sufficient yet. I am about to embark on a 2000 mile trip so car should be well sorted out at the end. Got some Jag touchup paint and it is pricey and comes in color tube and clearcoat tube Hope I never have to use it!
    The only problems I had were with the windshield washer jets also, which were drooling liquid over part of my hood. Well, I also had to have the spare key reprogramed because it would not start the car, just lock, unlock, etc. Had the key fixed and the dealer tightened some piece of the valves on the jets and that seemed to do the trick. Dealer noted that all of the new Jags, from X to XK, are having this little washer jet problem. (It could only happen to Jaguar.) I was also looking into getting another spare key, but the things cost around $250 each! They do have that nice flip-out feature though.

Well, I still love the car and would not trade it for anything! I just have to get those little bugs worked out of it and then it will be great. My father drives another Jag, and he drove mine today and said that it accelerates like a rocket! I hope you won't have to use the touchup paint either! Have a great trip!
    I've noticed that in the UK (maybe the rest of Europe too), Jaguar is offering a wood/leather steering wheel as an option for the X-Type. Has anyone seen the X-Type version of the wheel? Has anyone got any pictures? I've seen the other models, but never on an X-Type.
    ...have been addressed but, unfortunately, too late for my purchase. Although the information has not been updated here on Edmunds.com, it appears as though Jaguar is offering an X0 package (moon roof and split/folding rear seat) and has deleted the X1 requirement on everything but the XN option. Although I'm thoroughly pleased, I'd have preferred my X-Type with the X2 and XH packages. Jonty12, perhaps your area was a test market for this new strategy or something...
  • jbrettzjbrettz Member Posts: 3
    I live in St Louis and the only Jag dealer had 50+ new x-types on the lot. the Lexus, Acura and BMW dealers don't have this surplus on the lots. I wonder if this is going to hurt the residual value in a couple of years. My wife really wants the x-type, so what kind of discount did you all get from the dealer? The salesman told me that they were only discounting maybe $1,000, but he has 50 on the lot???????? doesn't make sense.
    I welcome your comments.
    I would be greatful that your dealer has a nice selection. Some have complained here that they couldn't find a stick shift. Remember there are two engine sizes, 2.5 & 3.0 and two transmissions for each so a good dealer will have a good selection of all.

A local Toyota dealer currently has 237 Camrys in stock and he sells more Toyotas than any other dealer in the US. It's not necessarily a sign they aren't selling.

My wife too wanted the XType, we got it and are very happy so far. Good luck with your choice.
    looks like jag sales are up 87% for the month of march over last year. it would appear x-type sales (3,780 in march, 3,583 in feb) are just fine after a slow start. they were hoping for about 3000/month in the first year, and they're well above that now.

heelntoe, perhaps they were test cars that slipped through, but that was months, and months ago. still seems odd.
    Over the weekend my father and I took a trip in my X-TYPE up to the the little airport where he keeps his plane. Anyway, the entire distance is nothing but high-speed twists and curves, and the X-TYPE took them faster and with more confidence than any of the other cars on that road (except for another Quartz colored X-TYPE I saw). And it got us there in class and style, without losing an ounce of composure. It really is built for those winding English roads, and only a Jaguar can take corners so well.

The car is just great, and I still could not be happier with it. It attracts a lot of admiring attention as well (and in this car, I'm afraid I am enough of a snob to enjoy it!). It's the best!

The X-TYPE is actually selling very well, and the dealers are giving great deals on the cars when you actually are serious about purchasing one. At least in my area they are. Have fun with your cars everyone!
    i'm thinking of getting the trunk pop-up stowage containers. one of the faults i've found in this car is that with the trunk as large as it is, stuff flies around while driving. has anyone else bought these containers? are they worth it?
  • etherjagetherjag Member Posts: 2
    Well not so much anymore really. I love my x-type and I can't believe the bargain it is. I'm leasing it for only $20 a month more than I was paying for my Taurus SHO. Everything about it is better. I have only two real complaints - 1. every time I get in the car from January (when I got it) until March I get this silly 'low outside temperature' message that wont go away until I hit reset. Sheesh, I know it's cold outside, I live in Michigan and I was just outside myself!

2. There was no indash CD player available when I got mine, I had to take a cassette. I don't like CD players in the trunk, my SHO's had them and they drive me crazy. I was surprised that my son's Ranger pickup could have a CD and I couldn't get one on a jag. I hear they have one now, it's a little annoying that I would have to pay to get what I should have had in the first place.
    If you really wanted to, I think that Jaguar can put the CD in-dash player in for you. It uses a slightly different front panel than the one on non-CD in-dash cars, but there shouldn't be any complications in switching the two. However, Jaguar charges $200.00 for the optional in-dash unit on all of the cars that came with them, and then they'll probably also charge you for actually having to work on the car, too. I don't know if wiring would be a problem, but either way, I bet that they could do it for you. Good luck!

By the way, I haven't been in cold enough weather to have the COLD OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE message come up, but it is getting cold here (I've got crazy weather over here in California. Yesterday was bright and warm, and then it rained and almost froze over night), so I'll check it out and tell you if I have to reset the computer on mine too. Maybe I'll check the manual first. If this is normal, at least we'd be able to hide the number of miles on our cars when selling time comes around!
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Low outside temp warning also goes away if you cycle through the trip functions
  • etherjagetherjag Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jagboy, I called the dealership and asked about getting the in-dash CD to replace my cassette deck. The parts department said they would give me a $200 credit off the $437 price for the CD. That sounded pretty good until he transferred me to service where they told me it would cost $180 to install. The funniest thing though was when I talked to the salesman first. He tried to tell me that there was no in-dash CD in the first place because of safety concerns, just think how much worse this is than cell phones. I found this humorous, as if cassettes are somehow safer to insert than CD's. I suspect they just didn't have it ready yet.
    etherjag-
    Hey, glad I could help in any way. As I should have known, the weather quickly shifted to its normal, warm California climate again, so I'll have to do some other research into that COLD OUTSIDE TEMPERATURE problem besides testing it on my car. Seems like it probably is normal to have to clear it away manually by resetting or scrolling through functions since mvargo1 also had the same occurance. Maybe I'll also check out my father's Jags to see if their computers are the same.
    -I'll report back.

I'm glad you found that you could get the CD player installed. Hopefully, it will make your car even more to your liking if/when you get it done. If you talk to the people at the dealer in person, you may even be able to push the price for the CD player down even further, but I may be wrong; all dealers are different though, so it still can't hurt to try. Even with the prices you were given plus labor, you still save $20, and that is always good. Good luck with everything, and tell us how everything goes if you decide to go for it!

Last weekend, I just happened to turn to the right channel when Car&Driver Television was coming on. I decided to watch it (what else is on t.v. on Sunday morning?) and after getting through all of the minivans,trucks, and an old red Volvo sportscar with nearly 2 million miles on it, they decided to do a little six or seven minute bit on the X-TYPE 3.0.

Their test car was Topaz with the Ivory intertior and an automatic transmission. As usual, they asked their overused "Is it really a Jaguar or just a pretty Ford?" question to begin, and then decided that it really is a "true Jaguar that lives up to the marque", after their tests were complete.

Much of the review was quick flashes of pictures of the exterior styling of the car (which they seemed to really like, along with much of the interior), and then pictures of the wood and leather of the interior along with the J-gate transmission. For the most part, only positive remarks about the X-TYPE were made, but they did not like the J-gate of the automatic transmission.

Another quality they did enjoy however, was the performance of the car, and they stated that their Topaz, automatic transmissioned X-TYPE 3.0 dashed to 60 mph from a dead stop in just 6.3 seconds. Now I emphasized that their single test car had an automatic transmission because I had believed that only an X-TYPE with a manual transmission could achieve that time, but they displayed their Topaz-colored, Ivory interior, automatic transmissioned X-TYPE do the sprint 0 - 60 mph in this quick 6.3 seconds on the screen. So who says this car is slow with the automatic transmission and its "archaic" J-gate now? I just thought I'd share what I had learned; 6.3 seconds is a very impressive time, especially considering that some had believed the car's 0 - 60 sprint to be around 7.1 seconds.
    6.3 seconds sounds about right.

Have fun in your cars everyone!