Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    ... depends on the year of the car. on a 2002, there is no difference besides the extra half litre and no-cost auto (my manual transmission means i paid for an auto even though i didn't want it), on a 2003 there are a couple other differences. If you go to advocar.com you can see it in more detail, but i think on a 2003 you also lose the chrome speaker surrounds and wood door trim on the 2.5 manual. it comes on the 2.5 auto, and the 3.0 manual/auto. i'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong.
  • jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    Thank you for responding to my inquirey about the pictures. You were very helpful, and I really appreciate how you posted so many different sites for me to choose from. Thank you so much.

Pluskin -

No! Don't go back to lurking. We were both just telling what we thought to each other. It would be a loss to have you no longer post. All I am saying is that I still have some proof that the X-R will apear even with the demise of the F-TYPE. You have information to the contrary - it doesn't matter though, as the future will surely tell us what is to come and which one of us is correct. You think you are, I think I am - there is nothing wrong with having different opinions. So that you know, Car & Driver says the X-R is dead, but I disagree. We'll see, but I wasn't trying to get you to stop posting.

Jonty12 - Changes for 2003

I believe everything you have said is true, and that 2003 manual equipped cars do indeed come without the wood door trim. If the buyer would like it, some dealers are installing the trim as an extra requested option. 2003's also have the horizontal bar that runs through the "mouth" of the car blacked-out, as does the S-TYPE, and a swede-like material between the front seats and the center console to prevent any noise that could come about if the seat rubs on the console. Trip computer screen is also now a glowing green background with black lettering, as opposed to the glowing green letters on a black background on 2002's.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Figures the model i was interested in got changed up. Too bad the upgrade to 3.0 dont include premium stereo or something else for the 6k , ala BMW.

When i 1st saw that London calling ad i though there was a English delivery plan if you will, id sure sign up for one .Which brings me to one more question is it possible to order a specific car and if so what would be the shipping time frame ?

thanks
    DL
    it is possible to order a car. many people, including myself, did so in the first year. expect 3-4 months for delivery. when you order you're not obligated to take the car on delivery, but they do expect a deposit on order. i think the fine print in the london calling promotion (has it expired?) says you must take delivery from dealer inventory, thus ruling out custom order.
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    "All I am saying is that I still have some proof that the X-R will apear"

Let's hear your proof.
    All I know is that management has told us that there is no business case for it, and that all the engineers have been pulled off from it. If you have better information than that, than I'll be very impressed.
    "How good is your car? How good is the car you're thinking about buying? And where can you unearth the truth? Here, that's where.

We've spoken to over 37,000 motorists, who've given us the full low-down on 120 models and 33 manufacturers. They've provided us - and you - with uniquely unbiased, spin-free information on every aspect of reliability, running costs, driving experience and treatment received from dealers..."

Top Gear finished its 2002 Motoring Survey, and out of its "Small Executive Cars" category, the Jaguar X-TYPE finished in second place.

"Just past its first anniversary and the X-Type enters the survey three places ahead of the BMW 3-Series. Great dealer service, few problems and good dynamics see to that."

The rankings for this segment were as follows:

1.) Lexus IS 200
    2.) Jaguar X-TYPE
    3.) BMW 3-Series
    4.) Mercedes-Benz C-Class
    5.) Audi A4 and A4 Avant (wagon)
    6.) Saab 9-3
    7.) Volvo S40 and V40 (wagon)
    8.) Alfa Romeo 156

Well, I'm happy...
    Actually its the 8th place 156 that i covet, i guess in 2004 or 2005 we might get one here.

jonty: millennium has called and left several messages even though i told them id call when i could come back in, sheesh. Ill contact your salesperson next week hopefully.

i just got the new october road and track with all the new models listed. It says specifiacally that the 2003 X type has enhanced content at prices BELOW 2002 . Did i miss something? i didnt not know that MSRP went down ?

on a sidebar i got invited the drive the new E500 class at the Texas Motor Speedway on September 22nd, should be a good time.

DL
    I think that base prices may have dropped by a hundred dollars or so, but they actually increased the prices for options; although they reorganized the option packages so that options like the sunroof did not require the entire premium package, etc. I don't think they're actually losing much at all in the new deal, it all kind of balances out.

Isn't GM interested in purchasing Alpha Romeo, and in bringing it over here in 2005 or '06? The current cars look kind of like fun little cars, but I wouldn't want one over my perfect X.

Cheers!
    Jagboy
  • jagonejagone Member Posts: 39
    What is Alpha Romero? Are they anything like Alfa Romero's?
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Well, you screwed that little zinger up huh!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't think that zero spelling and/or typograpical errors are requirements of the Membership Agreement.

:)
    Made a visit to overseas motors. They have a 2002 British Racing green "base" car i was offered at invoice. Then again it is a year old and no roof. But it has that all important manual tranny.... hmmmm.Much better staff than millinnium.

DL
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    if it wuz a reqiremint, weed all be in trubul!
    when did you go in to overseas? who did you deal with? i was there briefly on saturday. you can probably get them to throw stuff in on a year old base model. all the known problems now have fixes, so make sure you get them all done before taking delivery.
    I went in today. Mr Mathews grabbed me, but Barbra was not there.Does any one know what produxtion date i should look out for on a 2002 ? regarding any problems? He said i could get the in -dash CD put in and also a moonroof ? although im a little leary about a after market roof on the Jag.... on the good side it has wood not offered on the 2.5 5 speed for 2003 on the door panels. That new Auto package for 2003 is $1800 ! oh and id like the 17" wheels i belive also.

thanks
    DL
    most of the major problem cars are 07/01 and 08/01 production vehicles. i think if it's 11/01 or after you should be fine. unless they've taken care of the tsb's, you'll still have the rocking seats, leaky windshield washers, and trunk latch issue. if it's an 04/02 or after vehicle, i think most of the issues are gone. as i said before, make sure you get them to fix ALL the issues prior to delivery, and then it shouldn't really matter the build date.
    At least I had it 1/2 right, Ok! its Alfa Romeo!
    Jagone-
    Boy, Alpha Romeros must be really exotic as I've never heard of them before. :-):-) :-) Don't worry, I've made much worse mistakes before, and I'm not just talking about spelling. Think nothing of it. :-)

Pat & Desertguy-
    Thanks for defending my spelling while I was gone. :-)

Automobile Magazine just bought a 2.5 litre X-TYPE in Platinum Silver Metallic. Car guru David E. Davis Jr. likes everything about the car except for the shift linkage of the manual transmission and the editors expressed that the X-TYPE has the "Jaguar feel" just right. They also love the car's ride and said that "rough-road damping is very good". They "like the steering a lot", and Davis "loved" the chassis and said that it "makes this Jag a lovely driver".

POSSIBLE COMPATIBLE CD CHANGER!!!
    Also, if you don't feel like paying for the Jaguar Alpine premium sound system with 6-disc CD changer ($1,200), or don't have it or the $200 single disc in-dash unit, Automobile found that Sony's Xplode 10-CD/MP3-disc player was compatible with the X-TYPE's special Fibre-Optic electrical system, and only cost them $280 (I don't know if that included installation costs). They got it to work with the car, so if you want a nice system, this may be it. They don't say how they hooked it up, but you may want to check it out.

Bye!
    Jagboyxtype

P.S. - I noticed that my trunk had always had a slight nano-second delay after pushing the release button, but now, after having the car for five to six months, the trunk latch has gotten comfortable and opens and releases precisely when I puch the button. Doors are also very easy to open and close now, and it seems the car just gets better with time. No problems have come up either - not even a single rattle or bad vibe. Still have that great new-Jaguar smell inside. Truly is a wonderful car!
    I'm glad Automobile mag likes the XType. I just got a sample issue (Oct.) of European Car and they don't like anything about it! Apparently they trashed it in the Sept. issue as well. Mainly it is price, theirs was 44K and what you get or don't get for that price. Most of their points were strictly subjective. I was very disappointed with the long term review. It just wasn't "Jaguar-like" enough for them whatever that means.
    I beg to differ, if one is to engage in purchasing or discussing luxury motorcars. One should be capable of at least spelling their nameplates half correctly! I fear that you'll just delete this post because you rule this message board with an IRON MOUSE! No wonder very few post upon on these message boards. It would serve Edmunds well to have you gone from here. There is always HOPE!!!
    I sent Host Pat an email as he said "if you have any comments email me" a few weeks ago after he squelched a discussion. It pointed out that IMO he was over playing his Host role and censoring posts he didn't like. He did not have the courtesy to even answer me. Nobody posted on the board for several days after his post. Nuff said.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    Is Pat male?

I don't think so.

I could be wrong.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    I remember the Edmunds Rep that was at LS Mania one. Very personable young lady whose card I still have. In fact, I remember you were at the same table with us at lunch and I asked you the origin of your board handle which I've now forgotten. I think Pat is a male. Will we ever know?
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499
    I remember the time you're talking about, and there's no doubt the Pat we met then was female.

Still, in the present context, food for thought.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Funny, I thought the topic was Jaguar X-Type, not "Let's talk about Pat the host."

:-)

Jagone, I understand your point, but as a member of our Town Hall YOU must understand that your messages are required to be civil and respectful. If you have any questions about our community rules, please review the terms to which you agreed when joining our community by following the "Member Agreement" link on the left sidebar of this page.

The post which you attacked was clear in its intent - aside from the spelling errors - and the attack you launched was way outside of the terms of that Membership Agreement.

If you wish to discuss this further, please email me. This is way off topic and inappropriate here. So let's take this off-line if we need to discuss this further.

To the rest of you, I have never been to an LS Mania event, and frankly the Saturday Night Live references are very old and tired. Somehow I seem to attract those references nearly everywhere I go, and I assure you, I am NOT that Pat.

:-)
    desertguy, I cannot find any email from you except for one asking about cookies (to which I replied).

If you want to resend it, I'll be happy to address your concerns.
    I advise that everyone contact Edmunds by E-mail or post and have this tyrant removed! I believe this individual is just a smarta$$ on some sort of power trip!
    Please don't try and cause any trouble. Pat has always been a very fair and more than understanding host, and I enjoy having Pat watch over this area. If you have any problems, you can e-mail Pat and work them out directly. Pat's really a great host and has never acted anywhere near tyrannical. Now let's get back on the proper subject again - and this message is not an attempt to make a personal attack so please do not take offense from it. I just totally disagree with you on this one.

Pat - I wouldn't want any other host here!
    The governing "by laws" if you will of the Town Hall are all documented in the Membership Agreement which you will find linked on the left side of this page. By virtue of your membership here, you have all agreed to abided by the terms of that agreement.

It is my role to make sure that those terms are upheld.

It is not appropriate to use this discussion to debate the policies of the Town Hall, the Membership Agreement, topic management issues or my actions.

If you want to address your concerns to our Interim Community Manager, you may email her at sylvia@edmunds.com.

And as I've said many times, I welcome your emails and I am happy to address your concerns in that manner.

This is the final word on this. Further posts continuing about these issues will be removed with no notice.

Thank you for your understanding and your cooperation.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    Is there anyone here who would like to discuss the X-Type?

:)
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    In the hopes of getting the discussion back on track....

I saw an X-Type at the mall a month or so ago, and as far as styling goes, Jaguar hit the nail on the head. The only other ones I've seen have been moving, and I couldn't get a good look at it, but seeing the X-Type in person reminded me why I fell in love with Jaguars to begin with. The headlights look a bit "squashed" but it does not ruin the effect of the front end. And the dark red metallic paint on the one I saw was gorgeous. Now if I could only talk my boss into tripling my salary so I could buy one ;-)
    I figure these four near luxury sport compacts are right about equal in Quality, Price, Interior comfort Appointment and Reliability. But I have to give the BMW 330ci the edge in the Performance category!
    Yes, the darn thing is a whole 0.2 second faster than the X-TYPE according to Car&Driver. But according to Road&Track, the X-TYPE is "matching the BMW 330i's time" in the acceleration category. I like the Jag's styling much better though, especially with the styling turn BMW has taken. The 3 is already looking a bit 7-ish to me, which is sad really. However, the X-TYPE looks a whole lot like that beautiful new XJ Series. I've got my eye on one of those now, but I love my X-TYPE all the same and won't ever give it up for anything. I think I'll keep it until I'm nearly 90-something, and it will be a "classic Jag", and I'll only drive it on weekends as a specialty car and I'll commute in my new XJ-whatever it will be by then.

Cheers,
    jagboyxtype
    Put a coat of Meguires Gold Class on my carnival red baby yesterday and boy does it shine! Nothing, not even black, looks as good as this color with a new coat of polish/wax. Next project is the leather. Now at 8159 miles and 9 months with no,0, none, nada problems.(Hope that doesn't jinx me.)
    Still rather have a BMW 330ci because performance is not only based on or a measure of speed! Must admit though a Jaguar 3.0 X-Type would be a very close second choice on my shopping list. Now that I've seen photo's of the new Jaguar XJ-Series. I much rather have a BMW 745L, Jaguar doesn't even come close to the 745's interior, that has to be the finest luxury interior in the entire universe!!!

P.S. I know you'll blast this post right out of the water. But then again that seems to be the reason you post here. For me I love all cars, Sport cars, Everyday sedans, Luxury sedans, Minivans, Pick-up trucks and SUV's. Guess you could say I'm not narrow minded when it come to motor vehicles. If you know what I mean!!!
    I must agree with you on the Gold Class. Slapped some on my 1998 Toredor Red Jaguar X-Type 2.5 the other day. Came away looking just marvelous! I believe it is spelled Maguires, but I'm not quite sure? Just hope it'll last through the winter, because durability is a big ? when it comes to Maguires Waxe's. Otherwise seems to be an above average product.

CHEER'S
    Jagone.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Wow - that must have been a pre-pre-pre-production prototype.
    How about we are both wrong! It is Meguiars. You had the A in the wrong place. I didn't have any A in the word at all. Oh well, it works!
    The LS board has really "matured" from the old days huh. Now it's trunk hinges and cupholders! And BTW, I hated the hinges, they were always crushing my groceries etc. Loved my disappearing cup holder which was the original one. As one of the engineers said at Mania 1, it was trick.
    YEAH! I got it in September 1998 during year end close out at my local Ford dealership. $16,400 out the door included a $1,000 rebate plus they threw in 0.9% financing for 48 months. Just made the last payment a week ago, that little X-Type honey is now mine lock stock and leaper! Guess they're right when they say it pays to shop early when it comes to Jaguars!!!
    Almost got cha! Well this Gold Class seems like a good quality paste wax. I have always been a devoted believer in Paste, a bit more work but to me worth it. I thought the price was fair at $9.95 a jar, as far as competing brands of paste wax goes. Little bit tough taking it off! maybe I let it haze a bit too much, nice finish though. Great gloss, but not that Super Wet look, never cared for that Super Wet look like Zaino Bros delivers, except maybe on Corvette's, Camaro's, Firebird's or Hotrod's. So far I've found Zymol to be an excellent product, but expensive hardly worth the toll on the pocketbook. Must admit Zymol's liquid polish is #1 out on the market. Comes in the blue bottle at most auto stores $12.95. Had good results with Turtle 2001, Eagle One liquid, Nufinish once a year car polish. Out of these that Nufinish is no BS it really does last. I don't believe a year but at least 6-months for sure! Many years ago Dupont had that Rain Dance, fantastic stuff! But then they sold it to Borden and then Borden sold it to someone else and this someone else sold it to someone else. Well the last time I used it a few years ago it wasn't worth a diddly. Throughout the 1980's I swore by that product, must have used it 75-80% of the time. Well just hope that this here Gold Class will last the winter. Don't you just hate it when Irish folks can't spell their names proper. GO FIGURE!
    That's exactly why the REAL LS discussions now take place on the llsoc forums. We also don't have to put up with the posters that for some reason are allowed to continually make derogatory comments and start arguments on this and other forums.
    That's funny, I was just about to research what kind of products would be best for my X and its wonderful red. I'm sure yours looks absolutely stunning all polished up like that. I guess I'll go get the same stuff since it worked so well for you - thanks! As far as leather goes, I make anyone with a belt put a thin cloth between them and the seat so that the seat won't absorb any of their belt's color as I've seen on some other Jags (like a VDP I saw - oh so sad to see that mark there). I'm way too anal about my car, but I'm letting people use the sunvisors and roll the windows down on their own now, so I'm getting better. ;-) I've actually treated my leather with so much protectant, that I don't think anything can happen to it now. Zero problems you say? Huh, I have had none either. It must be the red...
    Me, blow someone out of the water!? Only when I'm swimming competatively. Seriously, the 3-Series is a nice little car, and I wouldn't blast you for liking it and disliking the new XJ-Series. As I had said, I like the new XJ and not so much that new 7. We just like different cars, nothing wrong with that.

Do I really blast people? I know I'm overprotective of Jaguars, but do I really blow people away when they attack them?
    Just so we are on the same page, I used the liquid Gold Class, not the paste that jagone refers to. The liquid is easy on and easy off with little of that white residue. Our cars are new enough that they shouldn't need a cleaner first. (And mine didn't). The paste version may be just as good or better but I have not used it.
    Nothing wrong with liquid, but its been proven that paste wax lasts longer! (Through many more wash's)If you're gonna go with liquid run with that Zymol in the blue bottle, you will not be disappointed!
    Do us all a favor here! If you don't like it here, simply do not post or visit here! Comprende, Senorita akirby!
    I think you're confusing Meguiars liquid wax with other liquid polishes. I believe the wax formula is exactly the same for both the liquid and paste versions - one just has liquid added to it as opposed to making you wet the applicator. The result is the same. As opposed to some other liquid formulas that are chemically different and produce different results.
    than telling someone not to post is simply to ignore their messages.
  • geecheewheelsgeecheewheels Member Posts: 18
    I have a 1 month old zircon blue x. Was wondering if anyone has had their windows tinted. I live in Fla., Wondering which tint, dark or reflective, looks best.