Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• jagboyxtypejagboyxtype Member Posts: 241
    ...will be around for a long time.

Europe was the only place where projected sales for Jag were down, and that was because 2/3 of all cars there are sold with a diesel, and Jaguar doesn't have one ready yet. There will be diesel X-types soon though. And the "estate" version, the sport wagon will come out soon, too. X-type exceeded demand in the US for 2002, with sales up 238% over 2001. Jaguar also had a worldwide sales record in 2002, thanks in much part to the X-type. They won't stop making thier best selling model. 2009 is the scheduled redesign - that's no time soon, and they are definitely keeping "X-type" in the lineup as a long lasting model.
    Look for a new major add campaign to highlight the standard permenant AWD system of the X-type, which gives it claws in any weather conditions, on any road surfaces versus all of its competitors.

http://www.pressi.com/int/productnovelty/58330.html

Some other info of note in the article above:

"Since its U.S. debut in September 2001, the X-TYPE has become Jaguar’s best-selling model ever, and continues to break sales records. Last year, 33,018 X-TYPEs were sold, accounting for an impressive 12 percent of the highly-competitive compact-luxury segment.

The car has also been hugely successful in attracting new buyers to the Jaguar brand. For more than 90 percent of buyers, the X-TYPE was their first Jaguar. And of those, 47 percent were women – the highest percentage in this segment."

AND

"Technically, the X-TYPE’s Traction 4 system uses a planetary center differential with a viscous coupling. In poor weather, the viscous coupling automatically, and seamlessly, transfers power away from the slipping wheels to those with the best traction.

The system sets the Jaguar apart from front- and rear-wheel-drive models in this segment. Also the viscous coupling technology provides more positive power transfer than various traction control systems that rely only on brake action to manage torque distribution."
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    that has a live-in cheerleader.

That said, it's pleasant to note that actual other people have posted over the past couple of weeks.

Thanks, all.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    you think his pompoms are british racing green?
    Sorry, I thought I was helping discussions by posting recent news about the car... If you don't like it, I'll quit...

Bye guys.
  • marchiemarchie Member Posts: 11
    I really do not understand the attacks on the most informed posts presented by Jagboyxtype. If it was something challenging his indeed helpful knowledge with similar knowledge on X-type Jaguar, I (and not only, because this is a public forum) would have similarly interested read these "attacks." But they say nothing but jealousy and immaturity which is not nice. Jagboyxtype, do not leave. Or if you do, please let me know your email address because there are still thousand things that I (like many other people not only NOT Jag owners like your attackers posting here) do not know and need to know. Thank you.
  • mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    I'm undecided between an Audi A4 and the Jaguar X-Type. Both are great cars and have AWD. I like the Jag's looks a little better.

The Audis seem to have average reliability - My question is how's the reliability of the X-Type?

I know the older 80s-90's Jaguars were unreliable, but hopefully the new X-Types are better. I don't expect it to be as reliable as my Accord, but on the other hand, I don't want to be running to the dealer every other month.

Anyone out there with any mechanical problems?

Thanks.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I don't think calling an overly enthusiastic young X-type owner a cheerleader could be considered a "personal attack". I think it's an accurate description. I also don't see anything wrong with his posts. He's young and very excited about his car. If I had a X-type when I was his age I'd be excited too. It was not a personal attack. Get over it.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    The early X Types had some teething problems as most first year models do. From the recent reports I hav seen the 2003 model has been close to faultless. The earlier problems have been addressed. I have an early build 9/01 X Type and
    in the 10,500 miles I have driven it so far I have had no problems other than a weeping wind-
    shield washer jet. So you never know.
  • schmidthschmidth Member Posts: 3
    I've searched but cannot find any information on Jag-Net. I assume it's like GM's OnStar. Do all vehicles come with the necessary hardware? Why do you have to sign up for three years? Why doesn't Jaguar provide a shorter option? I think that On Star offers a free first year.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Come ON people -- we are here to talk about the vehicle, not each other.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    comments about topic management should be addressed to me in email. I'll be happy to discuss anyone's questions or thoughts off-line.

Thanks.
  • caber51caber51 Member Posts: 1
    I just picked up my new manual BRG 2.5 with weather, sunroof and premium options. I'm coming out of a manual 2000 LS. I had a hands free post with charging holster installed in it for my portable Nokia, which was fine, but the X type is a smaller car. I know I have it wired up somewhat what with the premium package, and I am wondering whether anyone knows of an after market product which could take advantage of some of the installed phone buttons, with out getting into the high cost of the dealer Motorala accessory. I negotiated the phone transfer from the LS to the new car within my deal, but I'm wondering about the room constriction. Anyone have any thoughts ? Hands free is pretty much a must with the manual.
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    Now option other than dealer motorolla in order to utilize the car's phone functions. Sad but true, it's completely proprietary. There are many hands free options though. I use a tecnozone product and it works really well (http://www.tecnozone.com), and there are many others too like CCM. These "do-it-yourself" install products tend to cost about $50.
    Thanks for your comments Desertguy.

The other AWD I was considering is the Audi A4. I just got back from the A4 "Repairs & Reliabilty" forum, and could not believe all of the major problems Audi owners are experiencing. Most problems are serious and revolve around ignition coil failure (both 4 & 6 cylinder models including '03s). I knew the A6 was a mechanical nightmare (look at all the "black" dots in Consumers Reports), but I thought the A4 would be OK.

The problems listed on the board here on the earlier X-Types are minor compared to Audi. (leaking windsheild washer, etc). JagboyXtype is right - the Jag is a better car than the Audi.

Now that the A4 is off my list, I'm looking at the X-Type, BMW 3 Series AWD (most likely way out of my price range like the M-Benz), Infiniti G35 AWD Sedan (coming in the Fall 2003), or maybe pass on the AWD and get a reliable FWD, 260 HP Acura Type-S (even though some of the '01 & '02 trannys have grenaded).

Please keep us posted on your Jag. Thanks.
    Okay, now I that I've allowed everyone to cool down in my absence and stop being sick of me, I can post again...

This review is from kind of a weird site, but the guy is honest and seems to represent what an everyday average person sees in a car.

http://www.thehollywoodextra.com/X%20type/xtype.html

There are also reviews of other cars there too, if you enjoy this guy's writing.

I just had a birthday, so perhaps I'll be more mature. Sadly, on my way home from an outing with my friends for my b-day, I hit a deep pot-hole with rocks around it at night, and it chipped my front, left wheel. The chip left a jagged piece of metal sticking out, which in turn slashed my tire, causing my car to bottom out over some rocks. I can say that the full spare came in very handy and works well. Damage to the car from bottoming out on the rather large rocks was restricted to scratching the little plastic rim around the edge of the bottom of the bumper - no damage to the painted part, a black shield over part of the transmission, the left black "arm" next to the left front wheel, the plastic mud-guard, and the chip in the rim. The car goes in Monday to be totally fixed and to get a new tire. Continental (it was a Continental ContiTouring Contact)will refund the value of the tire (around 90%), and Jaguar will replace the damaged parts for free (I was prepared to pay, but they said they'd do it under the warranty). I'm glad the car was not hurt otherwise, and am thinking of purchasing new wheels for it (the five spoke ones with the "Y" shaped spokes in between). The guy who fitted on my spare for me examined the area where the "incident" happened, and was surprised that my car did not break its suspension components and much more. I was sure I had snapped an axle when I hit everything, as the sound was horrible and terribly frightening. The only damage was the superficial stuff I described above though. For once, I'm very glad that Jaguars are "built Ford tough" - and I mean that in the best of ways. I got home safe, and the car did not let me down.
    http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- _code=longtermtests&loc_code=index&content_code=05632929

"From its hood-mounted leaper to its arched back and tucked tail, there’s no doubt this is a Jag."

"The perfect paint job, which alleges to be green but appears blue and sometimes even black under certain lighting, draws kudos from staffers as well as unsolicited bystanders." <-- perhaps they finally noticed that Jags come with twice as much paint as other cars.

"Inside, the enveloping leather seats and tight interior confines (especially in the back seat) are all Jag, even if the interior&#146;s cream color gets dirty in a hurry."

"We&#146;ve found a lot to like about the strong 3.0-liter V6 and the great traction provided by the all-wheel-drive system."
  • pmhtvpmhtv Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know if Jaguar is offering a Ford Employee Discount on the X-type?
    If you are talking about the X Plan for Ford ees,
    all I have ever seen mentioned is a $500 discount from the final price.
  • jagdeanjagdean Member Posts: 6
    X-Plan is a $500 rebate. No other special pricing or rates.
  • ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    Hello everyone, I have been checking out this forum for the past two weeks as I am considering getting a X-Type. I have some observations and questions that I would appreciate feedback on:
    1) Autoweek comments on difficulty in keeping the light colored interior clean. Anybody else have this problem and what do you use to clean it?
    2) Clutch takes some getting used too. It seems very springy to me, does it get better with age?
    3) Engine noise from the 2.5 seems a little rough, I thought it would have more of a refined quality. Is the 3.0 any different in this respect?
    4) Resale value seems very poor, however this should work to my advantage if I buy a used one.
    Some answers I hope may help you:

1) Autoweek has the "Sand" (tan) interior scheme to their X-type. I have the "Ivory" color, which is much lighter, close to white, in my own car, and which should be harder to keep clean. Surprisingly, the car actually stays quite clean inside, and any marks are pretty easily removed with a damp rag or better yet, leather cleaner/conditioner. Sometimes a rear passenger (if there are 3) will have his or her shoe rub off a scuff on the back of the center console/armrest, but it comes off relatively easily. Our S-type, also w/ Ivory, is almost 3 years old now, but the interior is still brand-new looking (depite spilling food in it once). They hold up really well, though I'd imagine a darker interior would generally be easier to keep clean looking than any light interior.

2) Have an auto, so I can't say anything here from long-term experience with the manual. I've heard and read comments that it is everything from "soft and quite easy to use" to "it's too hard and travel to too far". I'm sure using it a bit would wear it into condition, as well as get the driver used to it.

3) I believe 3.0's sound "deeper" than 2.5's. The few people who don't care for the sound of the 2.5 usually like the 3.0. Drive both for a while and see what you like best. I wouldn't call the 3.0 "rough" sounding, but it is all how it sounds to each person, so it may be different for you.

4) Resale is artificially poor because of the incentives Jaguar used to launch the car. However, for 2003, Jaguar has stopped the incentives on all of its cars, as well as promoted purchases instead of leases in order to boost resale back to where it should be. Resale also varies depending on who you talk to. All Jags have pretty poor resale, but it has been rising steadily since Jaguars have become more popular recently.
    Thanks for all of the information. I find it quite useful. Sometime this year I'm planning on buying an AWD car. You helped me eliminate the A4. It looks like the Jag's a better car than the unreliable Audis/Passats. The A4s do look neat (except for the ugly flat black paint 2 inches from the bottom), but the Jag is even a better looking car.

I looked at your link to the hollywoodextra article, and hope they don't make the sporty Jag into a station wagon. What's with all these station wagons and "cross over vehicles" all these auto manufacturers are pushing?
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    Hey,
    What are you guys paying for your Jag?
  • anetaaneta Member Posts: 4
    I am considering buying an AWD sedan. Looked at Audi A4, liked it, then got shocked by comments in these forums and from friends. Mind-boggling problems for the kind of money the little car costs.
    I would appreciate any comments on reliability on the X-type, despite being a relatively new car. Outside color or quality of speakers.
    Many thanks in advance.
    mjc440-

At least Jaguar isn't making an SUV! Actually, one of the weak points in Jaguar's lineup is a lack of a lot of diversity: Jaguar sells 3 beautiful luxury sedans and one "sports car" that is really more of a GT. Of the 3 sedans, only the X-type has AWD, and they all have about the same interior dimensions and trimming/luxury. One of the things that competitors have an advantage in over Jaguar as a company is many more types of vehicles and variants of vehicles. In order to compete in this highly competitive market, Jaguar has to have vehicles to bring in buyers that would have bought from a competitor had Jaguar not offered them the vehicle type that they wanted (like the wagon). Believe it or not, the "Jag wag" is actually quite attractive to a lot of people, and if that's what they like, who am I to argue with them? The sport wagons are still Jaguars, and they are still X-types, so to those owners I say welcome to the exclusive club! More variants can only be a good thing. (There were actually non-factory XJS wagons made, and the E-type coupes were hatchbacks to the point of almost being wagons, so the X-type Estate wouldn't be the first Jaguar sport wagon. And don't worry, Jaguar is not going to start making an SUV - they still plan on being more exclusive and refined than the competition.)

Good luck finding the AWD car of your dreams! And I'm glad my blabbering was helpful to you to some degree.

tgp1810-

I didn't lease, but the latest advertisment for the X-type (the "Claws" ad where it tears up a bridge - the car looks good in the ad) said that X-types could be leased for $400 a month for 39 months. The incentive leases at the car's launch were $349 per month, which was later raised to $369 per month, and now they are up to an even $400 per month. I think the price raised since Jaguar has stopped incentives, which in turn boosts resale value back up to where it should be.

aneta-

There were some problems with the earliest X-types with things like annoying sounds coming from the propshaft to little things like rocking seats and dripping windshield wiper jets. However, Jaguar took notice quickly and fixed everything by redesigning the problematic parts for the new cars, and Jaguar replaced any of the problematic parts on early cars free under the warranty. There are no more problems with the X-types coming from the factory, and most all of the early ones are now fixed. My own car (purchased in March of 2002) only had the dripping windshield wiper jets, which the dealer fixed in under 5 minutes before the car came home. No problems since then.

As for paint (I assumed that's what outside color meant), Jaguar is known for using something like a 12-layer 4-step paint process, which is double the amount used by other cars, to give the cars an ultra smooth, ultra deep looking color. All body panels are double-side, zinc-coat galvanized to make rust almost impossible as well (including the roof, where most manufacurers do not galvanize).

As for the speakers, they are adequate (and good compared to the competition), but if you are an audiophile, the premium sound system is recommended. The radio reception (set for the U.S.) is not that great either, and that transfers through to the speakers. However, activating the "Europe" radio setting activates the transmission signal boost and makes reception much better (I can repost how to do this, you just have to push a few buttons on the radio controls to do this - it's quite nifty.) So, if you like very good music, the premium sound system is a very good buy, and in my local newspaper was rated one of the best car stereo systems on the market (it even beat the Lexus ML system). As for the reliability of the speakers (versus their sound quality), they are very very good.

On reliability, the X-type has also had no recalls, and Jaguar constantly updates little bits and pieces of the cars on regular scheduled maintenence under the warranty. Recently, Jag has been reprogramming the transmission and engine management codes for the cars to make them smoother, increase fuel economy, and increase performance by a noticeable degree.
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

I hope I helped you all by giving useful information, sometimes I over-do it and end up offending people. Sorry if I did, and you are very welcome if I didn't.
    On Saturday, I test drove a beautiful metallic blue X-Type 2.5 Automatic (with Sport Package & 17 inch rims).

Unfortunately I was very disappointed. What I noticed immediately is the total lack of both torque and horsepower the engine had. Even at lower highway speeds (40 MPH), if you wanted to just slighly increase your speed, the 2.5 would downshift and scream, but nothing happened! The car would slowly increase in speed and then upshift. I think I only drove 5 miles on the highway, and it must have upshifted and dowshifted 10 times. I have no idea how this engine could be rated at 194HP when my 83,000 mile 200HP '99 Accord V6 Coupe is rated at only 6 more HP. The Accord (my only benchmark on which I could compare the Jag) feels like it has at least 40 more HP on the Jag and seems like it would run rings around the Jag. When you floor the 2.5, the engine just made a lot of noise but the power rush never really came; when the Accord's V6 is floored, the VTEC kicks in the power rushes in and doesn't slow down until it pegs the redline(there may be a rev limiter on the VTEC - but I'm not really sure)

Now I know there's a weight difference between the two (and also the Accord's V6 is broken in and the Jag's isn't yet), but I'm still baffled about the lack of power in this car. Maybe more people buy the 2.5 with the manual...

Also the handling on the Sport Jag was also very disappointing. Again the old Accord feels like a much tighter handling package (sorry to keep talking about the Accord, but it was the only comparison reference I had).

Now the Jag did have a better ride than the Accord, which is a little too harsh on rough roads (unless you're doing at least 80, and then it feels just right)

Also, maybe it's my imagination, but the fit and finish (opening and closing the doors, interior switch gear, etc) seemed a little inferior to the Accord.

Now the overall appearance of the X-Type, both inside and out was excellent. In my opinion, it's probably one of the best looking cars on the road.

Overall I was very disappointed. I didn't get a chance to test drive the 3.0, which I'm sure will be faster, because I wanted to test the Infiniti G35 Sedan. Going from the 2.5 Jag to the 3.5 260HP G35 Sedan was like night and day. The G35 had an obscene amount of power. I also couldn't believe the super-tight handling and braking of the G35. Also the G35's fit and finish was top notch. It's probaly the closest thing to BMW handling that you could buy.

I still havn't given up on the X-Type however, I need to go back and test drive the 3.0

I'll keep everyone posted on the results...
    Well, as I had posted, my X-type took some underbody damage when I hit some really bad road that managed to slash my tire after chipping one of my rims - if no one else can hit it, I can...

Anyway, the damage, as it turns out, was primarily restricted to a shield/pan under the car that protected mechanical components very well. As this was my first schedualed service, the Jag people found that they needed to add weight to my car's driveshaft so that it would not get "the whine," but the funny thing is that it never had a problem with that - in fact, besides the welcome roaring song of the engine upon acceleration, the car was and still is very quiet. They also said they'd replace the tire for free, which I though I'd have to pay for since it was used, but they almost refused to let me pay for it. So, as it turns out, the X is going to be better than before, and it cost me absolutely nothing to get the car repaired. I'll get to bring her home later today as they had to order a part for her yesterday. All in all, it was a very pleasant experience - as far as damaging one's beautiful car and getting it repaired goes.

On a final note, I had to take a Ford Escort loaner, but as I wasn't paying for anything I wasn't going to complain. Anyone who calls Jaguar simply a Ford is going to get a smack in the head from me though, 'cause I've experienced the Fords now, and they ain't nothing like any Jags. Can't wait to get my car back. The Escort did have a surprisingly large amount of headroom, however.
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    I posted this a few hundred posts ago, but thought it might be of interest again...

I talked to a colleague in Jaguar's Paint group in order to clear up the confusion over their 4 step/10 step process.

The 4 stage process refers to a 4 layer/4 bake process, typically Electrocoat, Primer 1, Primer 2 and Color. In Ford's eyes this is the process at Jaguar. Technically, 5 layers of paint are applied to the vehicle as after Color a Clear coat layer is applied. Ford plants run a 3 or 4 stage process with a 3 stage being without the Primer 2 coat.

The 10 stage process refers to the pre-treatment process and the various stations used to condition the metal prior to any paint application e.g. cleaner dip, rinse 1, rinse 2, conditioner, phosphate, rinse 3..... etc. In truth at Jaguar an 11 stage pre-treatment process is used, but again in Ford's eyes it is only 10.
  • msisengmsiseng Member Posts: 369
    Had my '03, 2.5, X-Type for two weeks now. Only problem was the alignment came off the assembly line askew and the front paint started to chip. Jaguar fixed these issues without question and gave me an XK coupe loaner. Now, I am hooked on that rocket. That is another post in itself.

The 2.5 is not that much different than the 3.0. The finish is far superior to the Japanese. The styling is no comparison. A Jag is a Jag and a Japanese car, well, is just another Japanese car.

A new 240 hp Honda Accord tried to race me on the highway. Below 40 mph, the Accord did better. Above 40 mph, the Jag simply left the Honda standing still. I could tell the Honda driver was a little upset and he was NOT holding back.

For those comparing the Jag to a Honda, stick with a Honda and leave us alone. Honda service is not Jaguar service and I have both brands.

For the person who posted the radio settings, thank you very much. I find much better reception on the European setting.

Caution: Jaguar dealers are now telling customers to change the oil every 10,000 miles during the "free servicing periods." I asked several objective mechanics about this. Under no circumstances should you listen to Jaguar. Change the oil AT LEAST every 5,000 miles. 3,000 mile intervals are still recommended.

There are numerous posts regarding keeping the leather seats clean. My dealer recommends a good leather cleaner and to NOT to wear black or brown leather jackers as the jacket die bleeds into the white/sand leather Jaguar seats.

For the person asking about lease prices: I am paying $491/month with the 2.5, Sunroof, Heated Seats, CD Player, Split fold-down seats, free hand washes every two weeks and rear park sensors. No money down and no security deposit. Jaguar made the first payment. Others I know are paying more, so you can use my price as a guage.

Hope this helps.
  • care4tcare4t Member Posts: 8
    Can somebody re-post radio setting change? I must've missed it.

Also, I have a '02 X-Type 2.5 with manual transmission, and found the clutch to be way too springy and hurts my leg in a long drive. Does anyone know if this can be adjusted at the dealer?

Thank you in advance.
    I find it hard to believe that a 192HP 2.5 Jag would be faster than a 240HP 3.0 Accord at any speed. Maybe if you had a manual Jag vs. an Auto Accord you would close the gap...

I was seriously considering the 2.5 but it felt significantly slower then the 200HP 3.0 Accord I was used to - the 6 HP difference felt like a 30-40HP.

I still like the Jag - maybe the 3.0 is faster.
    The 3.0 does not seem that much quicker to me? Neither model seems to be that fast. Who cares with the Jag's looks?

All reviews say the 3.0 is better, but I am very happy with the 2.5. Just love it when the little "tricked-out" Honda Civics or BMW 3 Series try to race the Jag.

Heard Jaguar is considering a super charged engine for the late '04/ early '05 models. Now that would be nice. By that time, I will be ready for the 390 hp. XK Sport Coupe given as a loaner. Now that is a rocket!!!!

Yes, I did blow away the Honda at highway speeds and I was using the Jgate shifter and the sport tranny setting. As I Build and drive Chevy track cars for a hobby, I am used to getting the most out of a vehicle.

Still, the Japanese cannot come close to the styling. The new Accord lacks exterior styling, but is nice on the interior. I think the Jag is beautiful. That is my story and I am sticking to it!
    I posted this back in message 1399. Here's the radio setting info:

I tried out changing my X-type's radio programming as I described a little ways back. It is super! The FM is totally clear now, and it doesn't get interrupted the way it used to.

Since I've actually gone through the menues, I can describe how to work it a little more clearly now. To access the different programming which activates the FM boost, do the following:

1) Turn on radio.
    2) Hold down the Cassette player EJECT button.
    3) While holding the EJECT button, press the AM/FM button.
    4) The radio display should now read "US".
    5) On the number pad, cycle through the different world regions using the 0 buttion. The regions are: US, Japan, Aust (Australia), Europe.
    6) Press the 0 button until the region "Europe" is displayed in the radio display.
    7) Select "Europe" by pressing the AM/FM button. Your radio will now be set to European software programming, and the FM radio boost will be activated. FM radio stations will be much more clear and the signal will be much stronger. AM stations will be divided into LW and MW.

Although I warned that station number intervals might be slightly changed by undergoing this process, I have not experienced this so far and all radio station numbers have stayed the same (eg: 1530 is still 1530). You can switch back to other world regions by doing the same process but selecting another radio world region.

It really makes a world of difference.

Hope it helps you.
    Hi again. From your posts, I realize that nobody really bought/wants to buy the X-type for the wonderful feature of AWD it has. Also that it pushes it to competition before even "training" sessions are completed. As I said in the beginning when I was hesitating at the to buy or not to buy this is the Question stage (and when Jagboyxtype helped me a lot, thanks), noise was bothering me too at the first look. Then I went again to the dealer to test a 3.0 but as another 2.5 was waiting in a lot's corner, I took that one. It was ANOTHER SAMPLE but with a little bit more luck than the first one that I had tested a week before, that ANOTHER car-driven-by-amateurs-to-buy-you-never-know-who-exactly-but-not-- the-caring-owners. I was extremely impressed with the light snoring of the motor and smooth drive at DIFFERENT speeds. A car is like a radio and nobody buys demo products even if they are on sale at PC Richard for a half price. "Each car is different" the dealer said. I was then very worried by the indirect obtaining of my baby (from 2 other dealers of two other states, CA & PA) but everything was okay. Despite indications of "no need for breaking in" I treated my little girl after the book of breaking, slowly slowly in the beginning, then medium speeds, then varying slow-medium-slow, then varying fast-medium-slow-fast. Finally she ran (almost always --I hope nobody would report me--) 80 mph. We had to do these trips NY-PA and there is no time to waste in trips via slow going. But the MIRACLE that made me buy it beside my old/classic/muscle car Firebird Formula was its AWD capabilities which not only a Firebird, but no other car (at least mentioned above) could beat. The private dirt road going in 35 degree angle with many 90 degree turns in that mountain location where private roads covered with ICE are never able to be snow-cleaned was a joke for my Snow White. During the first trip, as recalling the slipping of the Firebird into the ditch despite all my efforts, I made a little cross under the chin all the time until I got home, then, when the ice was shinning at the next trip, I just prayed that everything went okay, and since I just drive like on straight dull road my FBD. So I do not know what you bought your X-type for but for what I bought it, NO OTHER CAR BEATS IT, BOTH IN TALENT AND BEAUTY. But...

But I have a BIG problem just discovered: both mufflers (& a little bit from shocks) are covered with RUST. Jagboy, you, who know everything about eliminating any upsetting problem with the X-type, WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS RUST? They say that as long as it is not perforating, it is not corroded. But it is OUTRAGEOUS. Just because it is a brand new car. My husband (also Formula) Firebird, 7 years old has its mufflers (and shocks) shining clean. Please help. Thanks
    On the muffler rust, I have the same thing: little areas of rust mainly around the edges and welded areas of the mufflers.

Don't worry about it :-) All current Jaguar mufflers get that way. Our XJ8 Vanden Plas and S-type both have it too. The rust doesn't seem to be getting any worse on any of the cars though. It just appears in little areas that seem to have always been rusted, so it does not appear to spread.

I was researching rust (back when I first saw it on the VDP's mufflers) and came across information that it is sometimes used to actually protect against itself! (I know that sounds like a paradox, let me finish ;-D ) Some things, such as the mufflers, can be designed to have only their first layer become rusted, and after that, stop rusting anywhere else. The "protective" outside layer of rust prevents any rusting from occuring underneith, and thus the part that was designed to have that first layer of rust is now rust-proof in its other areas and will last a long time.

I'm not totally sure that the Jaguar mufflers are designed that way, but their rust doesn't seem to spread past being little spots of rust in tiny areas.

I just sprayed my mufflers with chrome/silver rustoleum paint, and now they look real nice too (and no more rust). It took just 5 minutes, and was easy since the car has a long and beautiful upward pointing tail. That's how I solved the issue on my own car, and I hope it works for you if you try it. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

P.S. - Everything else on the car (like body panels, etc.) is double-sided zinc galvanized, so rust is pretty much impossible on the car. Jaguars are now more rust-proof than most any other cars on the road today, which is ironic considering the history of rust-problems than old Jaguars have. I've mentioned it before, but even areas like the roof of modern Jaguars are galvanized so that they don't rust, but other manufacturers still don't do those areas (like Lexus, for example).
    _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Here's a review of the X-type that was done by the Syracuse Post Standard, NY. It's hot off the press (only 11 hours young right now!):

http://www.syracuse.com/business/poststandard/index.ssf?/base/bus- iness-0/10453018325260.xml

Cheers,
    Jagboy
    Marchie - My new Jag exhaust is also rusting. Jagboyxtype is right. You have nothing to worry about. You have more worry with rust in a Japanese car than with the X.

There is also a red "puddy" you can buy from an auto parts store that removes the rust in addition to the paint Jagboyxtype refers to. I do not remember the specific puddy name, but am sure they will know what it is when you ask at the counter.
  • allenl66allenl66 Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone. I have watched this discussion (without participating) for over a year and I am finally getting around to posting a message. I am an early buyer of an X-Type 3.0 with Premium package and sound. My build date was 9/01 and it was purchased in December of '01. I did experience almost every problem posted on this site and used this information to assist my dealer in solving them. The only issue which they had problems solving was a headlight that would mysteriously turn on and off. It turned out to be a fuse relay that would trip off.

I am very happy to say that my local Jag dealer always took care of my issues and my car has been in perfect running condition for some time now. My local dealership is now giving out loner X-Types which makes the trip to the dealer much less painful.

Living in the Midwest I noticed the rusting muffler issue several months ago and asked my dealer about them at my 20K service. They told me not to worry that this is normal for Jag mufflers. I asked if I can paint them and they indicated that a heat resistant paint would be fine. I haven't gotten around to painting them yet but I would think that Rustoleum would work well.

So I have finally gotten around to doing a post and probably have as much behind the wheel experience as anyone on this site. I love my car and would never consider replacing it for another unless a supercharged version came along...
    Welcome to the discussion! Rustoleum seems to work well, in my experience.
    The Car Place's "The Car Family" just conducted a full length review of a new 2003 X-type 3.0 litre:

http://www.thecarplace.com/famxtype.htm

"...if you want to get into a Jaguar, this is the one to own."
                        - from "The Car Family" Big Picture

The guy named "Bob," who interrupts the review at one point to talk about how "Women love these cars. Lust after these cars." also has notes on a 2002 X-type Sport here:

http://www.thecarplace.com/notes12.htm#02xtype

(X-type notes are the second ones on the page.)
    My build date is the same as yours and I bought my car about the same time you did. The difference is that I have had none of the problems most have had except the weeping washers
    that started on my way home from the dealer. I bought my car in California where I was living and I really liked the dealer there. I have moved to the midwest and the closest dealer is 75
    miles away. Not a good situation IMO. I love my car but when the lease is up I doubt that I will consider another Jag because of the dealer situation.
    A lack of a vast dealer network has been an issue for Jaguar. They only have something around 150 dealers in the United States. All of Mexico has only around 3 (which are shared with other high-end cars). That's why Ford wanted Jaguar and Land Rover dealerships to combine, in order to strengthen the dealer newtwork. Chevrolet has something like 3,000+ dealers in the U.S., and German competitors to Jag have about 350 dealerships.

Survey: Jaguar sells more 2.5's than 3.0's, but I'm wondering what the demographics are here. Also, I've heard Topaz is the best-selling color - let's see how that works out here:

Hey, what color is everyone's X-type? And what is the engine size you chose?

Me:
    1) Carnival Red
    2) 3.0 litre
    Well jagboyxtype, you already know that our cars are twins. Topaz, silver, and black are the most prominent that I see. Part of this is dealer stocking policy. You go on a lot, you don't usually see the reds, or BRG.
  • care4tcare4t Member Posts: 8
    I guess my car and Marchie's car are twins. I own white x-type 2.5L. I personally prefer black, but there wasn't any black car that met my specifications (manual, premimum, weather, & xenon) in the lot.

Also, thank you for the instruction on radio setting. It really did make a world of difference.
    Living in Chicago at least I have a fairly good choice of Dealers. In my case my local dealer is literally around the block from my house. Pretty sweet! I know a friend who moved in North Carolina and had to sell his car because the closest dealer was too far away. I agree that a better dealer network would help sell more cars.

As far as the problems with my car I had a few odd issues with the rain sensing wipers and key chiming not working that was a challenge to the dealer. They had to get another identical car and use that computer to re-program my car. Every other issue has been well discussed on this board. It is weird how cars made at the same time would not have at least some of the same issues.

Also the radio setting may not have any effect in a city setting when the FM signal is strong. In fact too many radio stations may cause a problem with multipath distortion if the boost is on. It really depends on where you live. If most of your stations are 10+ miles away then the signal boost would help. Otherwise I would recommend you keep the settings on US.

My car is Topaz/Sand with 3.0
    Premium package
    Premium sound
    I recently have had the opportunity to drive the 2.5 and compare it to my own 3.0 engine. My dealer gives out loaner X-type's when my car is in for service and they are 2.5's. My comparison is based on both cars being automatics. I can say without any doubt that the 3.0 is SIGNIFICANTLY faster than the 2.5. The 2.5 has to be pushed to keep up with faster traffic in stop and go driving. The transmission on the '03 that I have been driving also hunts around much more looking for the right gear. It seems to downshift without much pedal effort.

Also, the 17 inch tires make the '03 handle better but are more harsh when hitting Midwest potholes this time of year. I actually prefer the slightly smother ride on my '02. I also wonder why Jaguar moved away from the lighted LED computer display to an LCD back lit version. The LCD version can't be seen in bright light with sunglasses on. Did Jaguar have a problem with the LED version?
    Hello, nice to see you again after my PA recent snowstormy trip. Thanks for your answers. No, the rust is not just at the edges but all over and so are the exhaust pipes. Snow-White likes the snow, of course even heavy, on the roads, but I believe not the snow or even condensation covered her mufflers with chicken pox stuff, but the harsh semi-(caustic) salt, semi- (coal) ash they use in PA to cover roads when it snows. And God, it was 3 ft --to shovel 300 yds driveway--, twice) lots of occasions to drive on those, not snowy roads, but harsh simply scratching anything passing over, 3 inch coats of crystals. My heart was cramping while hearing those scratching sounds hitting under as I was hurt myself. As my other baby is a 31 year old ...unexhausted runner, of course I used the trick with the heat-resistant paint on her pipes (the muffler itself does not seem to care about wetness/salt/etc for at least 13 years since I bought it). But this situation refers to brand new cars, in WARRANTY, when any personal modification voids this warranty. So I cannot do anything for about what? ... 50k miles, but to suffer this uggliness, if I do not want to interfer with the warranty policy.

PS. Of course, on the way home, I was still in the flattery to see a Mustang trying to see my baby's face (by passing it) but did not have a chance (again, please do not report) while she was running 100 mph.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Painting the exhaust should not void the warranty on the rest of the car. The only thing it might not cover is damage to the parts you paint but unless it was caused by the paint it should not be an issue. Alternatively you could put on a stainless steel cat-back exhaust (assuming one is available). It won't void the warranty either.
    http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat- - _code=motorsportsnews&loc_code=index&content_code=0165867- - 6

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/030222/lasa001_1.html

Both of these articles about Jaguar's new engine for their racing XKR's also makes note of the X-type being the official safety car for 2003!

<<EXCERPT>>"And since 2001, Jaguar North America has increased its ties to Trans-Am by providing a contingency sponsorship to the series -- comprising a pole award that offers a two-year lease on a Jaguar XK sports car, and prize money to drivers finishing in the top three positions.

For the 2003 season, which kicks off with the Grand Prix of St. Petersburg, in Florida February 23, Jaguar North America will also supply an all-wheel-drive X-TYPE compact sports sedan for the series' safety car.

From its beginning as a manufacturer of motorcycle sidecars, Jaguar Cars has grown to become one of the world's premier manufacturers of prestigious automobiles. The Jaguar marque continues to stand for an unparalleled heritage and a tradition of elegant style, luxurious comfort, and refined performance.

Today, Jaguar delivers the "art of performance" to customers by offering a four-model range of luxury sedans and sports cars. The 2002 Jaguar X-TYPE now makes the marque accessible to a new segment of customers and is the company's first all-wheel drive model. The X-TYPE sport sedan combines a fresh performance spirit with the luxury, craftsmanship and refinement for which Jaguar is renowned.
    "

I wonder if it will be one like that "modded" X-type racing concept since Rocket Sports is involved in this too.
  • eyemd1eyemd1 Member Posts: 5
    I am buying a new 2.5 manual X-type-this car looks great! My question: I have an Alpine CD changer from my previous BMW that looks the same in the picture with Jaguar's. Dealer told me that Jaguar has fiberoptic cables and there may be an aftermarket kit that can be used to connect my CD changer to the Jag. Please, please let me know if you have more details. I am not exactly looking to spend 1,250 for the Jag's CD changer. Thanks in advance.