Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    Appreciated your info. I'll stop by in late May or early June when you post the "X" arrival. I never would have considered a Jag before as it always had RWD and I laugh my butt off seeing those try to climb hills in winter weather. My FWD passes them as they slide off the road. IMO the ideal is an AWD with a bias to the rear. Now if the X has quality control, they will have a real winner. Ford may well lose a SHO customer (I have leased five in ten years) but could gain one back if the X is as good as it appears. Way to go Jag!
  • giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    While I tend to agree with you in regard to your comments on both the X-type (RWD being preferred) and LS (why pay so much more for S-type), in defense of the new X-type I would point out that the Ford Mondeo, upon which the X-type is based, has been a big hit for Ford Europe, esp. with the Germans. They'll buy a good FWD car. And the AWD should make it that much better. Mondeo has been one of Ford Europe's few hits lately!
  • leogenghisleogenghis Member Posts: 22
    Yup. Hey, why does it seem that European Ford products are so much better designed than USA Fords? For example, the "hits" include the Mondeo, Focus, Puma, and Ka, to name a few. They were all designed in Ford's European studios. Hmmm...
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    I totally agree that the Mondeo is a great car. But why buy a glorified Mondeo with a leaper on the hood? AWD does not constitute a $5,000+ premium?

Another example- I would never buy an A4 when I can get a Passat 4MOTION for cheaper. They are the same car in my eyes. Do not misunderstand me as a cheap person, but when they are so close to one another, I will not waste my money. I have an XJ because it is not a glorified anything except a classic jaguar.~ A.R.

P.S. On the other hand, we do not have Mondeo's over here, so the only way to experience a Mondeo is to get an X-Type. But, I would rather spend my money on a BMW 3 that is not a glorified anything. But, if the Mondeo drives as well as BMW 3 or Lexus IS, then maybe the Jaguar will do quite well
  • logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Leogenghis: Ford sells more trucks in North America than sedans (especially small sedans), and more sedans in Europe than trucks. A well run global organization will naturally concentrate its resources where the sales are. When and if the North American market swings away from trucks and back to sedans, look for more North American designed sedans.
  • pmvipmvi Member Posts: 63
    To me, the x-type is worth $5k more than the Mondeo for styling alone (interior and exterior). I may be in the minority, but I think the Mondeo is still ugly.

Question: does the Mondeo share any of the exact engines as the Jag?
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    Not to dissapoint but, the any XJ40 ('88 or newer) based XJ6 is still a Ford product, and the new XJ will be built on a streched S-Type platform. The new T-bird is built on a shortened S-type platform and the next-gen mustang will be as well. So what, a great RWD platform is still a great RWD platfom who cares how many uses Ford finds for it.

I think there is a bit of confusion about what it means when cars share a platform. When FoMoCo says that the S-Type and Lincoln LS share a platform that means that the floorpan and suspension mounting points are the same. The vehicles also use the same engine blocks and some of the same switches. Big deal other than that they are compleatly different. The three most important things about a car the ride, handleing, and performance are completly different. Not to mention the looks.

Trust me here in the Northeast there is a huge demand for a sprot sedan that you can actually use all year round with no worries. Most people driving today have been driving FWD for so long they are very leery of RWD no matter how much traction control, and DSC, and other doodads they put on the cars.
    One of the bright spots in Ford is its ability to make cars that are accepted by clearly different markets.

Far from decrying the shared platform approach, consumers should be hopeful that maybe the money saved in platform r&d will go into other areas. Moreover, Ford should be able to keep prices in better control than a company like BMW that makes only a limited number of cars on a nevertheless expensive highly engineered platform.
  • jgts1jgts1 Member Posts: 32
    "very" well in the Northeast, just like 3series, A4's, S4's, etc sell very well.....with all weather capabilities and the Jaguar nameplate loaded for $35-$36k, its a no brainer- they are going to fly off dealer lots.

I'm on Long Island, everyone from housewives (housemen, so not to stereotype), working men and women, college kids are going to buy this car.
    The biggest problem Jaguar will have in the first year is they won't be able to build the X-type fast enough.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    I'll be shopping for a new car next year and the X is already on my list. Hopefully, it well sell well and take customers away from the BMW 3, MB C, Audi A4, Lexus IS, etc., so that better deals might be available on all its competitors.
    Viva competition!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Thought you fellow car nuts would appreciate this link, which was just emailed to me by Jaguar UK:

Thank you for registering on the X-TYPE website. As you will probably be aware the launch of our new car is imminent so we are offering you an opportunity to receive a copy of our pre-launch brochure, price list and specification guide in the post.

The link below will take you straight to the relevant area of the X-TYPE.com website, where you will be able to check your address details and order a brochure.

http:// www.X-TYPE.com/load.cgi?ukforcereg=1&infoid=4257&forcemarket=true&iso=uk&langid=2

Hmmm...looks like this URL needs to be typed into your browsers manually.

• jbwcfpjbwcfp Member Posts: 86
    The x-type will sell, but your $35k-$36k loaded is a little off. A 3.0 Loaded is 48k, I have one on order @ $42K without sport package, Nav or voice command. 35k-36k will get a nice 2.5 litre x-type.
    Jim W
  • thebandleaderthebandleader Member Posts: 53
    Check out the newest Road & Track. A great article about the new x-type is included. They really really like it. (we knew they would, eh?)
  • robnisrobnis Member Posts: 78
    Mike, a friend that if you opt to load up the new X, that it will readily pass the 40K mark. Is this true? I would also consider the X if I could one reasonably loaded for 35K.

Also asked you a question on the I-35 board.
    Bob
  • jbwcfpjbwcfp Member Posts: 86
    The answer is yes if you want a 2.5. The 3.0 starts at 39950 plus destination. This still includes auto (5 speed manual no cost option?), leather, real wood, awd, nice stereo. The packages add up real quick though.
    Jim W
    ...in Motor Trend

Looks like the x-type is as good as it looks.
    A well eqipped X-type 2.5 will run 34-37K. A 3.0 base prices at $35,950 not $39,950. A well eqipped 3.0 will run about 40K Of course if you wanted every possible option you could pay $47,920 including destination but plus tax and tags. A 2.5 L with auto trans and X1 premium pkg. comes in comfortably under 35K.
  • ceilidhbecceilidhbec Member Posts: 6
    In case anyone is interested in pricing, my dad ordered a 3.0 X-Type. The MSRP is $35950 plus $645 destination charge. He also ordered the premium package ($2500), the Alpine CD stereo system ($1200), and Xenons ($675). Total price $40970. He placed the order the last week in March and was told he'd have the car sometime in August. We'll see.
    Well, the big three (C&D,R&T and MT) have all had road tests now and really like the x-type. Congratulations to those who have ordered one. I am envious.
    There is an article at:

autoweek.com
    www.autoweek.com
    I've never had any trouble posting before. Must be a blond moment. Oh wait! I'm a brunette.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here at WebCrossing for a posted link to be active it has to start with the "http://" - on our previous platform, that wasn't necessary.

An easy way to post a link to another page outside of Town Hall is to go to the page, right click on the address in the location/address bar and choose "copy" - then go to the post box, right click and choose "paste" - this will paste the link into your post and should be active after the post is made. The "http://" will be part of what you copied.

(Just one note - you can't post a link greater than about 100 characters in length here - you'll be told if your link is too long.)

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards,/i>
    The Edmunds' review is very positive. Ford is doing a tremendous job sharing paltforms and engines but keeping things unique.
  • pecclespeccles Member Posts: 52
    Here we are in the 21st Century and higher end
    cars from Europe still come with a cassette
    player standard. For the money they
    should come with a single CD player standard.
    To get a factory CD player most of the time
    it costs alot:

Jag X-type - $1200 (includes better amp/speakers)

BMW - $200 (the bargain of the group)

Mercedes - $2000 (got to buy the Command System
    or the dealer will install a CD changer if you
    don't mind giving up glovebox space. Heck you
    can get a $600 Bose speaker option but still
    get no CD player.)

Porsche - $345 (They already want over $40K for
    their least expensive car. That's right the $65K
    911 comes with a cassette player. Unbelievable!)

Volvo - $885 (upgraded speakers also)
    Concur. CD players should absolutely be standard equipment. Add the Lincoln LS to your list. Not sure if the Jag S-type has standard CD (thinking 4.0 does but not sure about 3.0). I had to buy a 6-disc CD player in my '00 LS8 in order to get a CD. All I wanted was a standard 1 slot/1-disc in-dash CD!!!!

Funny that Edmunds' recently posted long-term test review of the inexpensive Hyundai Elantra GLS (which they like a lot, for the money) chides it for not having a CD player. And thats a $12K car.
  • klkrauseklkrause Member Posts: 96
    I thought the Edmund's article said the CD was standard in the X-Type "just as it is in all Jaguars ..."

I have noticed a few posters here don't think too highly of the new X. Personally, I think it's a great move for Jaguar and Ford. Neither company has ever been able to compete with BMW, Mercedes, or Audi in the small luxury segment very well. Now, though, Ford actually has two pretty decent cars in this segment ... the X and the Volvo S60.

Ford is doing a great job using the "global platform," and anyone who doesn't agree isn't looking at things subjectively. Just because the new X-Type shares 20% of its components with the Mondeo doesn't mean it's a gussied up Mondeo. And those who were happy with their old Jags and all of their reliability problems should try moving into the 21st century with the rest of the world just because they are "real RWD Jags!" Fortunately, I think more people like the "new Jag" (company) better than the "old Jag." (If some of you still don't agree with the global platform concept, who has been consistently making the most profit the last few years in the U.S. auto industry?)
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I BOUGHT MY 323I CAUSE I COULD GET A INDASH CD FOR 170 BUCKS, SERIOUSLY CASSETTE TAPE IN THESE CARS IS SILLY,

PRETTY GOOD REVIEW , BETTER THAN EXPECTED, DON'T KNOW IF I CAN GET OVER THE CONTOUR LOOK THOUGH , HAD ONE AS A RENTAL ONCE AND IT WAS THE BIGGEST PIECE OF **** IVE EVEN BEEN IN, AND THAT INCLUDES VEGA AND PACER ..... :)

REGARDS DL
    The x-type is a long way from a rental Contour. It is based on the underpinnings of the current generation Mondeo (not the previous platform which the Contour was based upon). From my experience, rentals are not a good example of a car line. I currently have a Mustang and I know it is WAY nicer than the Mustang I rented. I had a (as posted earlier) Mystique and it was awesome; one of the nicest cars I ever owned. Also... as mentioned in the articles, very little of the x-type is actually Mondeo, just the basic underpinnings.

Cassette: I agree. I haven't figured out why the upper level cars continue to stick with cassettes while CDs are becoming standard on mid and even lower level vehicles. Most Mazdas come with CD players as standard equipment. I think this is similar to Motel 6 and Super 8 not charging for local phone calls, but Hilton and Sheraton charging $1 per local call. The more expensive the car, the more it trys to stick it to you.
  • icdchessicdchess Member Posts: 83
    I put a deposit down on a 3.0 X, but I fear that my dealer's estimate of
    "low $500 per month" for a $42,000 X-Type with nothing down for 36 months
    is not accurate. On the Jagtalk.com message board we have plenty of pricing
    to buy but nothing yet for leasing.
    Steve
    http://www.Jagtalk.com
    Watching TV last night I happened to pay attention to a subsidized lease ad for Jag S-type. Think it was for $499 a month with about $1,500 down. Think for 3.0L. Forgot rest of terms. Jag has been aggressive with S-type leases. A reason the S-types sales have gone up at a pretty nice percentage.
  • jgts1jgts1 Member Posts: 32
    unless the X-Type has like a .76 residual....its not going to lease in the low $500's with nothing down.....I ran a lease with a friend using a .00320 rate (thats like A tier rate), taxes up front (because I don't know what some of your rates are in other areas)...

based off an MSRP of $42,000- 36 months, 12k/miles per year.....and a using a .76% residual (which its not going to be even close to that)....we came up with $519/month.

I think its going to be a great car, but some of you may be in for a nice surprise...

I'm thinking $600-$630/month for 36months on a $42k X-Type (at MSRP), no $ down.
    Jag is getting very aggresive on the 3.0L s-type lease because it is going to be a tough sell in the northeast against the 3.0L X-type
    Take a look at a newly posted review on edmunds.com of the new X-Type by following the link in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar. Here is a quote from the article written by D. John Booth:
      If the X-Type's straight-line performance is a surprise, then its handling is a complete shock. Ditched is the floaty ride traditional in big Jags. In its stead is the tight,
      athletic grace of a German touring sedan.
    What do you think of the review? What do you think of the vehicle?

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    I subscribe to at least 4 car magazines ... more if you include the ones I read at work. All the articles I've read thus far (Autoweek, Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Edmunds, etc.) have all had good things to say about the X-Type. All the articles have pointed out how different the X is than the Mondeo, as well. I'm sure Jag has been pushing this difference at their Media gatherings ... I'm sure X-Type buyers wouldn't want just a fancy Mondeo!

If the X lives up to the articles and reliability is decent, BMW, Mercedes, Audi, and the like are in for some serious competition. The standard AWD will be a great selling feature in the NE and midwest, and the ride and handling sound great. It definitely looks like a Jag, too!

I can't wait to test drive one!
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    I am not sure if the 2.5L can be really that competitive in terms of performance against the German sport sedans, and the 3.0 does not sound like it offers a much better price.

Nice car though. I wish it had the price tag of Acura TL.
  • pluskinpluskin Member Posts: 79
    I'm not sure about 0-60 times, but my understanding is that the X-type 2.5L has more horsepower than all of the base engine German cars in its class.
    Also in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page is a link to video of the new X-Type from the Geneva Auto Show. Take a look and let us know what you think.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • qarqar Member Posts: 3
    The car magazines are comparing Jag X with BMW 3, but Jag X dimensions seem close to BMW 5 series.
    I'd like to hear from those that are familiar with the BMW 530i (w/wo sprt pkg). I personally think the sprt pkg on 5 series makes a big differnce. I'm not sure if the difference is as great on Jag X, as the articles tend to state. Also, does the AWD negate the poor perfomance of Z rated tires in wet or snow.
  • dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    I agree a rental may not be a fair comparison however this one was brand new car, and had not been abused yet. but allready parts were loose and faling off, the seats had no support and the power window was all ready packed up. really though my comment was more geared towards the styling then the chasis . especially the trunk area , , , glad u had good luck with the mystique..:)

DL
  • arcoatesarcoates Member Posts: 221
    Here I go with the wood issue again, but I was a little dissapointed with the photos in R&T of the interior. It seems like there is only wood on the dash, none on the door panels or anywhere else. I know it's no XJ, but a splash of wood here and there would be more Jaguar like~ A.R.
    I'd be more concerned about reliability. If this car is reliable, not sure I'd care about wood. Be having too much fun in a X-type 3.0 Sport 5-speed manual going 0-60 in 6.5 secs, at 146 mph, pulling .83g, and stopping 60-0 in a mere 118 feet. And with a 16 cu ft trunk! IMHO, wood is nice, but real performance at a reasonable price is prefered.
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Just talked to Autobahn and a 2.5 and a 3.0 will be in their showroom for two days in May. The vehicles are traveling from dealer to dealer. Dates are 22 and 23 May.
    Autobahn expects their first shipment of vehicles to sell in late July..."if it is a perfect world." Otherwise, sometime in August.
    The sport model does not have traditional wood accents on the doors in keeping with the sportier theme. However, the non sport models with the natural wood trim do have substantial wood accents on the doors, very similer to the ones on the S-Type.

I just got back from our ride and drive. Good lord, this car is unbelievable. It is quite a firm ride and handles like you would not believe. It will oversteer just a little, but not as much as a 330i. The C320 actually was the worst handleing of the competition. You could fit several bodies in the trunk and the rear seats are even habitable. The 3.0 is quick, but if you drive stick, the 2.5 is more than fast enough. Heck, even with the auto the 2.5 is pretty darn fast. As befitting an AWD vehicle a full size spare is standard eq. The car actually shares more in common with the XJ and XK models than the S-type from a technical standpoint. For example both sixes come with continuously variable valve timing like the V8 and unlike the two stage system in the S-Type six.
  • freeflapfreeflap Member Posts: 2
    Anyone know when the x type will become available? I am ending a lease for a 300M this August and need to replace it. Was interested in the xtype, but only if it will be available by then thanks.
    Ben
    It's supposed to be available in August but they'll probably all be spoken for. You may want to contact a Jag dealership soon to put your name in to get one.