Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• jack154jack154 Member Posts: 10
    I didn't like the TL mostly cuz it was WAY too fast every time I hit the accelerator - not just from 0-10, but 30-40, 40-50, etc... I was getting motion sickness...it was hard to control and I drive a front wheel drive car now. I wouldn't feel comfortable if I were driving that in the city down narrow 2-way streets with bike riders on one side of me... and people with their hazards on on the other...one tiny pedal tap and everyone is dead. That's just how I felt about it. I realize a lot of people like that power though. Not for me really.

It's a great looking car though.
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    I see what our saying. I for one would never complain about performance, so the TL sounds better all the time. If only it had AWD...
  • zoo_bzoo_b Member Posts: 18
    I know what you mean. The TL is just fast, other than that, maybe just nice styling and nice materials used in the interior. The driving is rather "personality-free" and not very involving other than trying to keep the car from soaring past the speed limit. I can understand you probably want something like the Saab 9-3 or the X-Type. I love both of them but haven't driven the 9-3 yet. I'd say just go with whichever one you prefer driving, cuz that will always bring you back to drive the car again and again
  • thumatithumati Member Posts: 1
    I haven't driven the new TL yet, but your impression of it being too 'fast' may not really it actually having too much power (though 270 hp is plenty), but of how fast the throttle opens up. It's a common trick that was present on the last TL too. Think of it this way: in a car with a progressive throttle, you push down the accellerator 20%, you get 20% throttle. In a car like the TL, in the first 20% of accelerator travel, the throttle opens up far more, say 40-50%. Flooring it is obviously 100% in both. The end result is that if you take a 200 hp car with a TL-like throttle and a 240 hp car that has a progressive throttle, within the first inch or so of travel, they'll feel just as powerful. Obviously, when you floor it and open the throttle to a 100%, the 200 hp car won't have as much throttle left to open and lag really quickly.

My parents have both a 1996 Q45 (about 280 hp or so) and an E500. The Q in no way is as fast as the E- maybe even 1 second slower 0-60- but because the throttle opens up so much more quickly, it seems like it is much faster than the E, which has roughly 20-25 more hp and weighs about 200 lbs lighter.

The result of this increased throttle tip-in is that the car is harder to drive smoothyl than otherwise. To me, that's a big negative
    The only real benefit I can see for having the throttle open up real quick is that it makes it a bit less tiring to drive long distance, because you don't have to press as far as you otherwise would. For me, it doesn't outweigh the negative though.
  • j3studioj3studio Member Posts: 27
    Folks,

Are there any catalogs for X-Types or new Jags in general for the United States?
  • tbirdtonytbirdtony Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a new 2004 Jaguar 3.0 AWD X-Type in April. I traded a 2003 Acura 3.2TL for the Jaguar. The Acura was a good car but it didn't feel like an entry level luxury car. It seemed to be a Honda Accord with a trim package. The Jaguar has been great. I feel special when I drive it. The fit and finish are perfect. The AWD, power, interior, placement of gauges and controls, exterior style are great. I did have a whine at 70 MPH and my dealer replaced the rear driveshaft with a new version (aluminum vs composite I think) and the whine is gone. Maybe someday I'll be able to afford a XJ but for now my X-Type is fantastic.
  • jagdeucejagdeuce Member Posts: 7
    Great Choice. I have a 3.0 myself. (2002) Did you get the manual or automatic? Sport Package? What size wheels? What color car? C'mon, give up some info. Inquiring minds want to know.

JAG
    Newly purchased (one week) 2004 X-Type [3.0, Sport, automatic, 17-inch wheels, premium, BRG] is great...except, during highway driving, but otherwise not predictably, the "DSC System Fault" warning comes on in the trip computer. Less frequently, but also on the highway, we see "Cruise Control Unavailable". We're taking it into the dealer tomorrow - any ideas what might be happening?
  • cwpostcwpost Member Posts: 11
    I am interested in buying a X-type in about two to three months. Edmunds has a Dealer Cash incentive at $5000 to $5500 on the X-type. Has anyone taken advantage of this discount? Edmunds says it is going until September 30, 2004 which is a long time for a discount.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Wow!

I just went to Carsdirect.com and looked at 2004 2.5 with every available option including the extra-cost metallic paint and their price for zip code 90210 was $27,028.
    Several thousand below invoice and cheaper than what some ask for a used 2003.
    Guess resale value just took another nose dive.
    If they also apply that same $5000-5500 towards a subsidizing a lease, it might be a good deal there and then the resale will be the lease-company's problem.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    was looking through the news paper yesterday and one of my local dealors has out a deal on an 04 X type 3.0 lease for 299 a month for 48 months... with 1500 down... is this good... 12000 a year.... is this any good...
    I'm going to try and see if they'll change it to a 36 or 39 month lease with 15000 miles... I currently own an 03 Altima but my moms getting that car and I'm getting the new one... any comments
    $299 a month "sounds" cheap, but 48 months is too long for a lease. It defeats the purpose of leasing since you are stuck in the car for so long.
    I think I'd start getting tired of the car even before 3 years, but I could deal with it. 4 years shackled to a lease could turn into a nightmare. You always see people posting trying to find ways to get out of a lease early only to find out they can't without spending thousands of dollars.
    Find out what the payments are with 36 months and 15,000 miles per year with no money down.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    That $5500 is a huge discount, if it is for real. If I correctly understand Edmunds pricing, the $5500 is to be deducted from their TMV??? For the base 2.5 their TMV comes up at just over $28K, if $5500 is applied to that selling price is down to about $22,500!

We were planning to maybe buy one in a year, but if we can get a price like that now I don't think we should wait. Who knows if they will ever have such a high incentive/rebate again.

Have you pursued this any further, yet...such as by getting an actual price quote from a dealer?
  • whynotwhynot Member Posts: 2
    I just Bought X-Type 2.5 with the 5,500 rebate
    i paid 27K out of the door , Autmatic and metalic color, It is great car this deal will end Aug 2
  • girlpologirlpolo Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased the Jaguar X-Type 3.0 with metallic paint and heated seats for $28,885. Seems like a great deal and I think it's a great looking car.
    Around $28-$29K is nice for a 3.0 even with few options.
    I wonder if they will lower the MSRP again next year for the 2005 models if this is the price it takes to move them out the door.
    Too bad for the people who bought 2002s for around $40K who are trying to sell now or even next year.
    People should be able to get into a plain 2.5 for around $25K after discounts which is around the price of a pretty loaded Camry after discounts a rebate. The Camry is much larger though.
    I assume this discount is for whatever the dealer has on the lot. Can you get this deal for a car you have to order? I doubt it but don't know for sure. I would like a 3.0 manual which are extremely rare.

Alan
    The $28,885 ($6,605 Discount off MSRP) was for the exact car I want...it wasn't on the lot, so the dealer had to find it. Considering that the $695 destination charge is already in the MSRP, I figure I'm already paying for the darn thing to be delivered to the Dealership. I do think the discount provides good value for the car. Of course, domestic car dealers have to do this all the time to sell August/September cars...it is just unusual for Jag.
  • jack01jack01 Member Posts: 14
    Hi girlpolo, Jaguar offers 1.9% APR for 60 months on X-TYPE. Did dealer still give you this incentive APR rate at that great selling price?
    My understanding is that the large cash incentive is for buying, not leasing. Also, the longest I've ever leased has been 39 months. Does 1.9% for 60 months mean 'Up to 60 months' or does the leasee have to carry the lease for the entire 60 months?
    1.9% APR has nothing to do with leases. They never advertise leases in terms of APR. The 1.9% APR would only apply to purchasing.
    The do have a super-low rate for leasing though, but you do not get cash incentive with it.
    Thanks for the info regarding the APR. I planned on paying cash, but I'll ask about the 1.9% for a loan. I imagine it's an "either/or" situation and I would rather have the steep discount over the APR. However, it never hurts to ask and I will do just that.
  • cooklawcooklaw Member Posts: 7
    That is the lease I want. My dealer was only offering 349 w 3k down but that was for 2yrs. I don't mind the longer lease period. Please let me know the name and location of the dealer.

Thanks,

Charles
  • cooklawcooklaw Member Posts: 7
    If anyone has had any luck finding a 3.0 manual please let me know.

Thanks,

Charles
  • 90percentsure90percentsure Member Posts: 2
    been looking to get into an x-type 2.5 5 speed the last three weeks. was seriously looking at the s60 but decided to hold off.. glad i did with
    the jag incentive they are offering now. still shopping around but the best price i got so far for a zircon 2.5 manual is 22661 - just add tax and tags.
    anyone know of any dealers offering a lower price ?
    also am looking for a 3.0 5 speed
    one more thing, where are these jags made ?
    i know they are assembled in the UK but the engine - are the 2.5's made in Japan and the 3.0's made in Germany ?
  • jeffp1jeffp1 Member Posts: 7
    Where are you guys seeing the incentive? The only thing I see is the marketing incentive to the dealer for $5,000 that goes through the end of September. I didn't see a range (some posters have listed 5,000 - 5,500).

Also, I assume the $6,000+ discount mentioned above was negotiated, not a manufacturer incentive.

Thanks.
    It looks like the $5500 is for the 2.5 and $5000 for the 3.0.
    That is from Jaguar, so there is still additional room for the dealers to discount from MSRP before they even apply the incentive.
    And they should since if they were hot-selling, there would be no need for the gigantic incentives in the first place.
    I wonder what this means for 2005 models?
    I can't imagine everyone is going to go back to paying $5000 more unless they scale back their production and sales targets severely.
    Isn't 2005 the last year of this model also? I read that they are dumping this Ford-based platform soon.
  • jeffp1jeffp1 Member Posts: 7
    Test drove a 3.0L X-Type tonight, along with a Volve S60 T5 AWD. Both nice cars.

The jag was a little smoother, brakes more sluggish. Volve was sportier, had slightly better handling, the leather was nicer and I think it was a tad quieter.

Out of the gate at both dealerships they mentioned incentives and being ready to deal. When leaving the Jag dealer, he said the deals were $200 over invoice.

Not sure which way we're leaning yet...
    Hey Cooklaw,
    A 2004 3.0 manual is a rare breed. In the U.S., you can only get them with the sport package, which adds 2.5K to the price. The dealership in Cincy is pretty big and they never had one. The sales reps here say it's special order only.

JAG
  • d12watchd12watch Member Posts: 1
    We just bought 2004 X-type 3.0 Zircon color w/ premium package, heated seats, reverse park for $29,845 in Central NJ.

Hope Jaguar fixed most of the earlier problems with the X-type. Been wanting to buy this car since 2002. Still can't believe we are paying $10K less for this car than if we had bought it in 2002. VERY EXCITED!!!
  • fastxtypeownrfastxtypeownr Member Posts: 2
    What exactly is done with the 3.0 recall performed on my x-type when it was in for 10k
    maint. it pertained to shunt hesitation on accel,
    and i havent had the time to follow up with the dealer
  • fastxtypeownrfastxtypeownr Member Posts: 2
    just adding on, i believe it is a tsb, not recall,
    and the code is s953,reprogramming ecm with wds
    any help or info greatly appreciated
    They say they move move some production to Eastern Europe or China.
    I think this could hurt the already shaky image.

I'm sure they are not making money on the X-type with $5000 to $5500 incentives and giant incentives on the S-type also.

I would lease if I got one to make sure I wouldn't be affected if resale value plummets even more than expected.

http://quote.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000039&refer=colum- - nist_levin&sid=ajLTlVZFY0bY
  • osufans2osufans2 Member Posts: 14
    I am debating between the Ebony/charcoal and the British racing green/champagne color. Which one do you guys prefer?
  • bigbevobigbevo Member Posts: 1
    What do yall think about 2002 3.0 xtypes that were loaners at the jag dealership? They have about 8k miles on em and they are asking 24k. What are the thoughts from the experts?
    Definitely BRG! We love how our Sport looks...
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    according to the paper its at the Cleveland Jaguar dealorship... located in solon ohio... I've been talking to a sales lady up there and she's been very patient and helpful as to this has been a car search of over a year now... and every time I go in there i get treated better than anywhere else... I hope that helps sorry for the late response to your questionl... I was off on a trip to california...
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    I live in New England, and the local dealers are offering the base model for $22,995 delivered.

I'm willing to travel a few hundred miles if I can get a better price. My questions are: 1) has anyone seen a lower advertised price? 2) has anyone seen any 2.5 in the Salsa (red) color?
  • wibblewibble Member Posts: 569
    Has anyone dealt with any of the dealers in the San Fancisco bay area? I'm looking to travel down from Oregon in the next week or so. Any advice, recommendations gratefully received.
  • 90percentsure90percentsure Member Posts: 2
    Hi kernick

i just bought a zircon blue 2.5 x type ( 5 speed )
    for 25600.00 out the door. i paid 22661 + 1k for extra wood and lojack. with ny tax, i paid 25600 out the door

i think the dealer has the color you are looking for

let me know if you are still interested
  • charlienmr1charlienmr1 Member Posts: 7
    I can reccomend both San Jose British Motors and Putnam Jaguar.
  • kernickkernick Member Posts: 4,072
    Thanks. It's been a few days so I had already made a decision. I'm getting a white 5-sp, which is currently on the dock (in customs?). I offered $22.5K and they accepted. I don't know whether to be happy, or a little bummed because they accepted the 1st offer - must still be some negotiating room.

The only extra is $95 for the title fee. So $22.6K final price. I live in NH, so no sales tax, though there is a town tax which will be about $600.
  • smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    Has anyone bought engine/electrical parts for a Ford Contour for use on the x-type, since the 2.5 engine was available in that car. Had to buy an Mass Air sensor for a mercedes once ($500), am looking at the 2.5 five speed, and wondered if there was a big difference between this engine now and when it was in the Contour. Drove a 5 speed 2.5 Contour and thought it was quite peppy.
    Thanks
  • bigcatbigcat Member Posts: 1
    I shopped several dealers in the Central/Northern NJ area before finding a great deal at Montclair Jaguar on a 2004 radiance red metallic 3.0 with heated seats, the X1 premium package, and reverse park control. MSRP (including the advertising fee) was $36,990 and I got the car for $28,345. The dealer gave me a price under invoice and also full credit for the $5,000 manufacturer to dealer incentive and a discount. My salesman was a gentleman and I would identify him by name if it were not against the rules. I am very excited about picking the car up in a few days.
    There seems to be good deals going back east but I'm having trouble finding anyone willing to sell a 3.0 X-Type for a reasonable price. Reasonable to me is invoice+$1000 - $5000 dealer cash. Anyone had any better luck in WA, OR or CA or am I just expecting too much?
  • stingsting Member Posts: 7
    I need some advice. I am looking at Leasing a 2004 X-Type. One question is: I have the "A" Plan (for Ford Employees) which allows me to buy/lease at Factory Invoice Price. When leasing using the "A" Plan could I also "negotiate" with the Dealer to also Discount further using the $5,000 manufacturer to dealer incentive? Or are these not Allowed on Leases? I do not think I have much negotiating power though because here in Las Vegas, Gaudin Jaguar is the only Jaguar Dealer for hundreds of miles and they figure that buyers are not going to go shop anywhere else. Any Advice? Thank You.
    The $5000 dealer cash doesn't apply to financing or leasing.
  • osufans2osufans2 Member Posts: 14
    Just bought a bone stock 2.5 with plat/charcoal for $534 over invoice yesterday. The dealer is having the car shipped here so I get a "free" loaner to drive until mine comes. Not the best deal in the world...but I am happy...:-)
    Did you qualify for the dealer cash or did you buy/lease through Jaguar finance? I'm about to give up and get a Volvo or Infiniti instead. I keep getting quoted "great deals" like $500 to $1000 over invoice. Because I'll be paying cash, accepting a $500 over invoice on a 3.0 is leaving $5500 on the table. That's the best part of double the usual dealer profit on these cars. I figured $1000 over invoice minus the dealer cash would be fair. On the East coast there doesn't seem to be a problem but here in the West no-one wants to play ball.