Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    Hi Oldengineer, the power may not be overwhelming in the 2.5, but I was surprised at a recent full acceleration from the red light standing next to an Infinity G35 coupe. We were going head-to-head at the first gear (G35 was manual, too) and through half of the second gear, when 280 horses in G35 showed their teeth and left me behind. Still, I never expected to be faster than G35, but having paid $13K less, I felt pretty happy about my ride and its image.
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    I'm glad you and some others got a great deal but now you should want the price to increase dramatically! ;-)

BTW, whatever happened to your whining drivetrain problem? You posted on 1/17 that you would let us know what the dealer said when you took your car back in.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    "$23,000 Jaguars are not a good idea for Jaguar or for those who want the Jaguar name to carry some cachet."

I agree. They should make a $45,000 V-8-powered F-Type sports car instead.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Further, I wouldn't be suprised to see fuel economy to decrease with the use of 87 octane. In that case, it's penny wise and poung foolish not to spring for the $0.20 extra per gallon for premium.
    Postoak, please look at post #2100 where I discribed my dealer visit regarding the drivetrain noise. In a nutshell, the noise is still there, but I will probably wait until my 10K-mile service before I bring it up again and ask the dealer to replace the differential and whatever other issues arise. Since the replacement of a driveshaft did not fix the noise and Jaguar ordered the mechanic to install a noise shield under the carriage of the vehicle, they probably don't have a mechanical solution for the issue. Not yet, anyway. Hopefully, if enough people keep complaining, Jaguar will be forced to improve their engineering. BTW, the mechanic who test drove the car with me said: "You should hear what an early '02 X-Type sounds like at highway speeds" suggesting, of course, that drivetrain was so loud.
    Ditto
    I reread post #2100 but I'm not clear on whether or not they installed the noise shield on your vehicle. If they did, what percentage of the noise did it eliminate?
    Sorry I wasn't clear. They did install the shield, but I cannot say it made a significant difference. The noise may be a bit more muffled, but it is definitely still audible.
    that you (axiomlover) and tgilbertjag made regarding your whine. You both had the differentials replaced, to no avail, and you had the driveshaft replaced, also with no result. What I didn't notice is whether either of you noticed oldengineer's post that *his* whining problem was solved when the service department replaced his torqueconverter flexplate. Maybe you should have them check that.

postoak
  • tgilbertjagtgilbertjag Member Posts: 11
    Hello All, I was fed up the issues on my 2004 xtype, so i went to the dealer and they were GREAT. I ended up moving to a 2002 S Type loaded with a 4.0V8 and the navigation system. No noises at all like the X Type. Good luck to you all.....
    Hey tgilbertjag, congrats on an S-Type. So, what's next, perhaps XJ8 or XK8? Just curious how much you got for the X-Type in trade in dollars?
    This would have been a good place to look, postoak, but my X-Type has manual transmission, so no torque converter flexplate here. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
  • tgilbertjagtgilbertjag Member Posts: 11
    Hey, I went to the owner of the dealership here in Minneapolis and explained my situation. This was the BEST experience I have ever had with a dealer. He actually have me back ALL of my 27000 I paid then 4 months ago. I then put that toward the S-Type. So, I got 27000 for it. If anyone here is in the Minneapolis area, goto to Downtown Jag and Speak to Scott Allen or the owner, Mike Jensen. They have restored my faith in Car Dealers......
    right! (Insert a smacks head icon here).
    Man, ($27K)that is unbelievable! However, I wonder how much they would give you if you did not buy another car from them?
  • oldengineeroldengineer Member Posts: 22
    I'm not surprised. I own an 05 Chrysler Sebring with the 200HP V6. Even though my Jag 2.5 automatic has less HP and is heavier, it'll suck the headlights out of the Chrysler. I've always wondered if the Jag 2.5 actually makes a few more ponies than the "official" published ratings.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • serbayserbay Member Posts: 1
    You may have not had your car long enough to answer this. My 2004 x-type, 2.5 manual eats through oil. At 4200 miles I had to add 5 qts. and after my first oil change at 7500 miles it needed 2 qts. after less than 4000 miles! The dealer tells me this is within tolerable limits, but other mechanics say there is something wrong. Would be interested in knowing how much and how ofter (if at all) you end up needing oil.

Thanks!
    Serbay, I am sorry you are having oil consumption issues. I used to own Isuzu, which was going through 1 qt of oil every 2000 miles, which was frustrating, but dealer commented that up to 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable. Well, I have 4400 miles on my 2.5 X-Type and I have to gladly admit that so far it has burned no oil, whatsoever. I have been watching the oil level closely as I am sensitive to this issue. The color of the oil is no longer like honey, but still quite light. Modern 4-stroke engines should not be burning oil!!! The dealers and manufacturers will be saying that 1 qt per 1000 miles is acceptable because it is convenient to say so and the remedy would usually involve replacing piston rings, which is a major expensive repair. From what I've noticed, oil consumption is a hit or miss in any particular vehicle. My neighbor's Isuzu burned no oil at all and mine was thirsty like a horse. If a new car/engine burns oil, it doesn't usually indicate that the engine will stall or "blow up" rather that it was poorly matched in the factory during the cylinder drilling/honing and matching the pistons and rings to a particular cylinder. Although my Isuzu would burn oil, the engine was powerful, quiet and did not act abnormal. If I can give you some advice, try to keep a log of your engine oil consumption based on the number of miles driven and amount of oil added. Then present it to the service adviser or Jag rep. Also, if you replace your oil with one of higher viscosity (such as 20W50), you should be able to slow down the rate of consumption. If my wife's '99 hard-driven Daewoo has never burned any oil in its 64K-mile "career" then no Jaguar should burn any oil, neither. Good luck and let us know if the consumption gets better with mileage. The Jaguar manual actually does talk about oil consumption, stating that it might be higher when the engine is new, but I think it is just another way for the manufacturer to cover up the real quality issues.
    After 3 months of ownership and 4400 miles, here is a summary of 3 types of "unusual" noises I am consistently hearing while driving my X-Type:

1. whining, cyclical noise at 70mph and higher, unrelated to engine speed, road condition or gear.

2. humming noise usually audible the strongest at moderate speeds, only upon acceleration and going away with letting go off the throttle.

3. high-pitch whistling sound (definitely coming from the engine area) mostly heard at 4th and 5th gear with speeds of 40-50mph. Goes away with the foot off the throttle. This noise wasn't present until about 2000 miles.

If any of you can comment on any of those, I would appreciate it. The dealer "addressed" the first and second noise, but did not fix neither.
  • david330david330 Member Posts: 2
    FYI- starting 1 Apr 05 all 2005.5 x-types and Options will have new package structures.

Base model MSRPs will be slightly lowered and larger inclusive option packages will be instituted with net overall reduction in options price.

Non-wagon & non-sport models will still be at like 'give it away deals' As long as its not a 'stripper', 3.5k-4k off MSRP will be the norm.

Sport & Wagons their a little more firm about the price, 2K-2.5K off MSRP.

In both cases they moved to this range easily or was their first offer so a little patience, persistance and 'playing hardball' get you a little better than these ranges off MSRP with minimal effort.

Don't know if present or new similar incentives will be available. Jag seems to be off and on with incentives quarter by quarter. The company is living their life a 'quarter at a time' to keep afloat, not counting Fords help.

oh, P.S. Dealers are authorized to sell at new lower 2005.5 prices starting Mar 21 on models manufactured after 01 Jan 05. You must ask about this they wont just offer this info to you.
  • figaromdfigaromd Member Posts: 18
    FOR $23000 YOU CAN GET A USED 2000 XJ8 THAT LOOKS AND RIDES FAR BETTER THAN THE BABY WANNABEE JAG.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    But a 2000 XK8 will be out of warranty and won't include 4 years of maintenance. It will probably need tires, brakes, and may show it's age.
  • jagsportjagsport Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know where I can get a wood steering wheel for my 3.0 sport?

(I know you can order from the dealer, but they're like a grand...)
  • lovemyjaglovemyjag Member Posts: 5
    I'm going to buy a 2006 3.0 X-Type. Has anyone heard when they will be coming out? Is it better than the 2.5 X-Type?

Does anyone have the navigation system? Is it confusing to use and is it worth getting?
    get a pre-owned xj instead, x-type is not a real jag, rather it cheapens the once-exclusive jaguar marquee.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Oh the XType is a real Jag alright. I'm on my second one and love them both. When a little snow hits the ground, try to keep up with me in a new or used XJ. In fact, try to keep up with me around some curves. Ain't gonna happen! The old man's XJ isn't for us younger enthusiast. And the cost of repairs on it are outlandish.
    I agree. I would love to drive an XJ, but not for another 20 to 30 years. A company can no longer survive on making exclusive, expensive and large sedans. They need to diversify and appeal to a wide spectrum of tastes and consumer ages just as any other luxury car manufacturer. Mercedes, Audi and BMW have models that sell in the price range approching (or even exceeding) $100K, but the base models start in the $20K range. Even Lotus, which normally sells cars at a price of a sizeable house, came out with a $42K Elise. So, there is something for everyone.
  • david330david330 Member Posts: 2
    Its my understanding that there well be little or no changes between model year 06 from 05's X-types.
    Also, antisapated update or redesign for model year 07 will happen not untill eary 08 or late 07 i've heard.
    There is still debate or rumors about x-types not continuing after 08 or 09 if there isnt an update. I personaly think if Ford dumped 800+ mil into a plant to make the x-type it will be around in some form for a while.

As for the Nav controls it's not a very user friendly system by any makers standard. The new Nav sys from Acura i think is one of the best.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Base 5-speed 2.5L x-type. $2495 down, $260 a month.
  • drwarmthdrwarmth Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been able to come resolution on the strange whining noise? Mine in particular (2002 X-Type, 2.5, Manual, 48K miles) seems to come from the the rear passenger wheel, after about an hour of highway (over 70mph) speeds, and stops only while you're braking. It becomes much more pronounced when you're making left-hand turns. It seems like, once the wheel heats up, the brake disc begins to warp or caliper begins to fall! I've heard similar noises like this on classic cars when hub bearings begin to fail, which I'm assured by the dealer is not occuring here. Of course, they aren't able to reproduce the noise when I need them to, so they are claiming ignorance at this point.
  • libby7libby7 Member Posts: 1
    Changing the subject ("real Jags" cost more, right? as usual there's a lot of money involved in "status," but I like to have a cool new car for only a few thousand more than a Honda). So I like my X-type too, but how much will repairs on IT cost? So few are out of warranty so far that it's hard to know. And there are wildly mixed stories about its reliability. One web site says it's very very reliable (better than Audi A4), but Consumer Reports says NOT! Mine has been okay, but I can't decide whether to chance Jag expenses for the next few years, or pay for the Jag extended warranty, about $2600 for 3 years, which is a lot to risk: I'm supposed to give them MORE money on the gamble that they may have sold me an unreliable car?

But I have had very safe cars before, and get nervous about large expenditures. Any opinions?
    It definitely doesn't sound like a typical X-Type problem. It seems as though your rotors may be barely touching the brake pads and producing the noise, which is why the noise goes away when you hit the brakes. I am getting more and more annoyed with the drivetrain whine and whistle. It is not right to have to "live" with this whine, but the dealer says there is nothing wrong.
  • geraldxjaggeraldxjag Member Posts: 2
    I got a brand new (190 miles) '04 X-type last January 2005. So far so good (just over 2300 miles). The dealer shaved off $6500 from the sticker price. I paid mine for $29K. It that was not a good deal I don't know what. When I left the lot 2 1/2 months ago, they have a couple of '04s (a white one and a metallic grey) that they will sell for at least less than $5K. I'm not into selling (I'm an ombudsman/ social worker), but I can hook you up with my salesman.
  • dfoxdfox Member Posts: 1
    I'm interested in repair costs as well as I just picked up an 04 3.0 X Type Automatic. in the RI area. Paid $23K, car is Ultraviolet with 12K miles and loaded with options. Comments are welcomed. This is my first Jag and I'm loving it !!!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks, but actually we don't use these Forums to make specific referrals nor to provide contact information to salespeople.

Glad you are happy with your deal and are enjoying your X-Type! I hope you will continue to share your experiences here.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    Repair costs were one of the things that concerned me when my wife was considering an x-type. Extended warranty is very expensive. I was quoted $2700 to extend the warranty on a new one to 6 yrs and 80K mi by my credit union. This is an extension of only 2 years and 30K mi. over the mfr warranty. For other cars they had 7 yr, but for Jag they would not go beyond 6...which was another bad sign. I think they also would not go beyoned 80K, but I am not positive of that.

For comparison VW Jetta or Passat was around $1200 for 7 yr/80K and $1500 for 7 yr/100K. Honda Accord was 900-1000 for 7 yr and 80K or 100K. The prices are all from my credit union for the same type of very comprehensive extended warranty.

I was glad that Jaguar USA was too snobbish to allow us to buy a 2.5 with an ATX, which ended my wife's interest in the X-type.

Good luck with yours.
    if u want to get a cool car for a few more G's than a honda, get the new avalon. it's far more powerful and reliable than a wannabee baby jag that will soon be discontinued due to lackluster sales & consumer satisfaction.
    They should drop it before that.

Jaguar has far more potential with the aluminum XJ's chassis which will spawn the next XK and likely the next S-Type.

New aluminum Jaguars
    It will continue until 2009 per AutoWeek

http://autoweek.com/news.cms?newsId=102157
    Jaguar will revise the XJ, launch a new aluminum XK, and likely make an aluminum S-Type during the next few years so why keep the X-Type until 2009?

It will only hurt those three cars.
  • clarinetmanclarinetman Member Posts: 1
    lovemyjag,
    I am thinking of purchasing my first Jaguar, a 2005 X Type with Navigation. I now own a Nissan Murano (2004) and have the navigation system included. The price is approximately the same, the jag being more expensive by about $500. They are both quite easy to use, after looking at and operating the one in the dealers lot. If you have not had one before, but are somewhat computer literate, you will do very well. It is, on the Jaguar, a touch screen version and actually quite easy to operate. Now, after answering your inquiry, may I make one or two? What are my largest expected expenses with this car? The Nissan has been no expense other than oil changes (I change oil at 3,000 mile intervals) and the 30,000 mile checkup. Yes, I do put quite a few miles on the car in a year. Will I be able to get 200,000 miles out of this vehicle? I am very meticulous about maintenance and operation. Thanks for the reading of this note. Look forward to your informed reply. Clarinetman
  • disgusted1disgusted1 Member Posts: 2
    Painful is really the best description of what it has been like to own this vehicle. I've read many posts on this site about others with the same set of
    problems that we had with our 2002 X-Type. This has not made
    our experience any easier. In fact, it actually made it more frustrating, since
    everyone is aware of its shortcomings, but nobody is willing to
    admit to them and address them as they should. Knowing that we were not the only one's with the same cluster of problems did not make it any easier to endure the
    ups and downs of owning this car. As a result, we recently called it
    quits. This is definitely a pretty car to look at, but a car must
    be more than that - and this car failed miserably to live up to our
    expectations. From constant noises, failed electricals, to the
    endless repairs (86 days worth), it has been a nonstop nonthrill
    ride! The biggest nonthrill happened when we decided to cut our
    losses and found out how little value our X-Type had retained over
    the three painfully long years that we owned it. We've owned and
    sold a good number of cars in our days, but never took as big a hit
    as this! If you are interested in knowing more, please feel free to
    visit http://mysite.verizon.net/disgusted_with_x-type/index.html
    where we have attempted to chronicle our painful journey with this
    car. Best of luck to you all.
    Little counterpoint here: We owned an '02 XType 3.0 for the length of our 39 month lease and had absolutely no problems. None. Nada. Zilch. At any rate, clarinetman is looking at a 2005 not an "02. Very different car with none of the problems of the first year build cars. We now have an '05 sport and are extremely happy with it. BTW, that is why we lease. We don't have to worry about the trade in value. JNA gets to worry about that.
  • pugger1pugger1 Member Posts: 42
    I understand the need for those out there in E-land to have their negative feelings about cars. Most of those feeling are based on your experience with a particular car and dealer. I have a 2003 X-type that I really enjoy driving and owning. The car has the flash that I like. The dealership that I use has done a positive job of working with me on any problems. The problems that I experienced have been quite small and have been corrected with one visit. Bottomline, some just need to whine.
  • disgusted1disgusted1 Member Posts: 2
    If you have not had significant problems with your car, then you are fortunate.

If someone takes the time to let others (some of whom have the same problems with their vehicle) know that they aren't alone (as they may have been told by their dealership/Jaguar), that is not whining. The list of parts that were replaced one or many times on our vehicle speaks for itself.

Our X-type made enough WHINING, rattling, clicking, howling, crunching and thunking sounds, that we don't have to. The car speaks for itself. I personally don't like that in a car.

I hope your positive experience with your car continues!
    test drive the all-new 2005 Avalon it's a lot better than the wannabee baby jag. jags are good for weekend joy rides they're not your reliable transportation and never will be. those who claim never having a problem are distinctly a minority.
    figaromd - On April 11, you said on the Avalon board:

"i test drove the new car. the gas pedal felt heavier than my '98 xls. the 'leather' felt like vinyl, and the new looks are plain and boring.

i'm getting an x-type instead."

A little inconsistent aren't you? An Avalon is okay if you want to drive an appliance. The Jaguar has soul. They cannot be compared.
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    the mods in the Townhall are not always on "troll patrol".

The Avalon and X-type are in two completely different markets (and that's not insulting either one).
    figaromd,

charlienmr1's 2004 Jaguar XJ8 has 27,000 miles and has been reliable.

(check the XJ Series thread for proof)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Not every negative comment is made by a troll .... but if you think there is one, just drop me an email. Let's not get into it here.

Also, you folks who say it's not reliable, yes it is reliable, would be more credible if you posted some honest to goodness stats from reliable sources. There is not one manufacturer in the world who doesn't produce vehicles with no problems and vehicles with problems. In other words, anecdotal evidence is worth exactly what you paid for it. :)