Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• figaromdfigaromd Member Posts: 18
    you mean the jaguar *had* soul.

get a toyota if you want reliable transportation. i may not like the looks of the new avalon but performance-wise it's top notch.

and i wouldn't call the baby x-type exactly 'luxurious' -- for that i'd get a *real* adult-sized jag. if you're bitching about maintenance problems on a jag then you probably shouldn't have one.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    I've had NO maintenance problems with either of my XTypes so no bitching from me. I might add that I have an '04 Toyota Highlander Limited 3.3 liter and it is a wonderful vehicle. But it ain't no Jaguar.
  • lovemyjaglovemyjag Member Posts: 5
    Clarinetman,
    Thanks for responding. I decided to wait for the '06 X-Type to come out, so I have some time to do more research. Now that I have been reading more, it appears the X-Type isn't going to be around too much longer. I keep my cars for 4 yrs., but what kind of trade in will I get in 2009? Have you decided definitely to get the X-Type? I love mine and haven't had all the problems other readers have experienced. The problems I have had hasn't discouraged me from purchasing another one, but I don't like the reasons for why it is being discontinued in 2009.
    I think the interior is beautiful and so does everyone else I know who has seen or been in mine. It's disappointing to know it will eventually be discontinued.
    "lovemyjag"
  • gandb7gandb7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 X Type 3.0 with the automatic on headlights. I would like to have the headlights stay on and use them as driving lights, and only go off when I turn off the key.
    Does anyone know how this can be done ?
    Thanks gandb7
  • black_sox09black_sox09 Member Posts: 5
    What car would be a better overall buy between a Jaguar 02 X-type or a 02 Lincoln LS V8. Meaning with montly payments, insurance, everyday problems, which one would u guys buy if the choice was up to you. I am 23 years old, make good money for a 23 yr old, Living in Scottsdale, AZ. Cannot pick which one is the better buy. Any responses would be great. thanks ya'll
  • dawn7dawn7 Member Posts: 7
    The X-Type was recently rated the highest quality car from Europe, with the X-Type assembly plant earning the highest Gold award from JDPowers in 2005.

Jaguar powertrains were also rated the highest quality powertrains of any manufacturer in the world by the 2005 JD power survey.

Jaguar was rated #2 in overall quality of all brands in the 2005 JDPower survey.
    Well I'm a guy who has had both cars and loved them both. I bought a Lincoln LS soon after they came out in 2000. It was a V6 and I loved it. Then had a 2002 Jaguar XType for 3 years. Both cars have taken a huge depreciation hit which makes them excellent buys. You would be much more exclusive with the Jag but maintanence on the LS should be less costly.

Both cars were extensively modified internally after their initial introduction. If it was me, I would go for a 2003 of either brand. The Lincoln in particular had many changes in 2003. The 2003 Jag addressed many of the problems that the early build cars had. The LS will handle just as well as the Jag and you don't need the
    AWD of the XType in Scottsdale. Still, there is something about a Jag.....

So, bottom line, I would go for a 2003 and buy the one that you will enjoy most. It is a subjective decision only you can make.
  • allibleserallibleser Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 X-Type. We put the knob for the lights all the way to the right as far as it will go. This is automatic mode. The lights will come on when operating the vehicle and go off when you turn the car off. It will do it all automatically.
  • allibleserallibleser Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2005 X-Type Jaguar and my in-laws have a 2004 X-Type. Oddly, within about a week of eachother, we both had problems with our front tires. They started thumping really bad like they were about to blow. Thankfully, they did not. When we took our cars in we were told the cars were out of alignment, therefore the tires were wearing wrong. Granted, neither of us drives on rough terrain! The breakdown was $400 for an alignment and $200 for each tire. We went to another local shop and were quoted $50 for an alignment and $115 per tire. We opted to go there. Nonetheless, we found it very odd that we both experienced the exact same problem with relatively new cars.
    Has anyone else experienced front-end alignment problems with their X-Types. The only other problem we've experienced is headlights going out. That was 6 months after purchasing the car.
  • chicagofredchicagofred Member Posts: 1
    I purchased 2002 X Type jaguar today. In the quiet of my garage I hear a quiet
    hum coming from the heat/air conditioner vent just aboue the emergency flasher
    button. Is this normal? What could this be?

Very concerned.. Chicagofred
    Well chicagofred, to put your mind at ease..."they all do that." This is the favorite reply from service writers everywhere but in this case it is true. There was a big discussion of this noise on another board and the only plausible explanation I saw from Jaguar was that it was the temperature sensor which runs all the time.
  • manofluvmanofluv Member Posts: 4
    2178 of 2178 New Owner by manofluv Jul 11, 2005 (10:19 am)

I got an "05" X-Type VDP a few weeks ago I so far so good. I also own
    a "04" highlander. My wife wanted a Camery of Avalon I talked her into
    the Jaguar. The jag has a personality all it's own and my wife and I love it. I
    wanted the X-Type because of the AWD. I wanted the Jag because its a Jag. Every
    car has it's problems. My Highlander came with a remote start and sometimes the
    car just starts on its own and no one knows why; but I wont bash Toyota or the
    Highlander for that.
  • mattr82mattr82 Member Posts: 41
    Hi Manofluv,
    Congrats on your new car! We are pretty much looking for the exact same vehicle (X-TYPE VDP with navigation-we are looking for a metallic platinum with ebony interior) Could you give me an idea on how much we should be paying, how the negotiation of the car went, and how the whole experience was. We are in New Jersey. Thanks again in advance. We have not been able to get much information for this particular car from anyone.
    All the best,
    Matt
  • manofluvmanofluv Member Posts: 4
    I think I paid to much for my car but they had the one I wanted and I didn't feel like fighting. I got the Ebony with the Ivory interior. My wife just loves the car now she gets plenty of attention from on lookers while driving the Jag.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    This message board has been surprisingly quiet about the notorious howling, droning and whining of the X-Type's drivetrain. I am slowly approaching the 10000 mile mark, which means I will be getting my first scheduled maintenance in my '04 2.5 manual model. The noise is extremely annoying at highway speeds, but it goes away below 50 mph. X-Type is an awesome vehicle, lots of fun to drive and otherwise trouble free, but the drivetrain noise is simply unacceptable in a luxury car. Honestly, I wouldn't accept it in a Kia or any other non-luxury car. The last "fix" the dealer installed was a noise-muffleing cover for the undercarriage, but it did not help much. Am I the only one left with this trouble?

Also, I noticed that my 2.5 engine does not always idle smoothly. It will sometimes, especially soon after stopping, drop rpm to 500, then bring it back up to 900 to finally settle on 700 or so. It almost feels like it is ready to stall, although it never did actually stall. Any ideas?
    I guess the lack of replies denotes that the rest of us have cars that are not exhibiting these traits and are perfect :D My '02 escaped most of the early build problems and my current '05 sport has been trouble free so far. I'm sure you know that you can take your car in for the 10K service after 12 months no matter what the mileage. Sounds like you should insist on a fix even if you have to get a factory rep involved.
    I remember many X owners posting their issues with the loud drivetrain several months ago. Perhaps they gave up on a solution and are just living with a noisy Jag or by now they traded them in for something quieter.
  • jerseyjagjerseyjag Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2002 X-type that has an intermittent whirring noise that comes from the steering wheel. Has anyone had the same problem? I mentioned this once to the Jag service dept. prior to last service and they seemed to recognize the problem but did not say what it was. When I picked up the car the noise was not there but now it has returned. Any ideas on this topic?
    Please provide more detail on your problem i.e. when you hear it, is it when the car is running, engine reving or ignition off? How loud is the noise?
    It only happens when the car is running normally. You turn the steering wheel and there is a whirring noise. But not all of the time. No rhyme or reason as to when it will happen or when it won't. Not doing anything special. Just driving normally. Happens when turning left and right. The noise is not very loud. But it is clear.
    I just found on auto.consumerguide.com a listed problem which may be the answer. It says that the 2002 X-type had a problem with noise from the power steering system. It requires the system to be flushed and a revised fluid to be added. So I am going back to the Jag dealer to have it looked at.
    Unfortunately, I am not familiar with this issue and don't have it in my 2004. I would certainly take it up with the dealership.
    I got the car back from the dealer. They did flush and replace the power steering fluid for me. At this moment the car does not make any noise. It seems this problem only applies to the 2002 model. It also seems that the dealers don't do anything about it unless you complain. Hopefully the problem is now solved.
    I am glad the dealer fixed your issue, but you are correct, they won't fix it until you complain about it, usually more than once.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    Excuse me if I'm coming in on this a little late in the game, but all the talk of the end of the X-type after 2009 makes me wonder what will replace it? Certainly, Jaguar can't have the S-type be the entry point. Mercedes is willing to go as low as the C-class, and BMW has their 3 Series. It just makes sense that Jaguar would offer some sort of entry vehicle. So, if it's not the X-type, what would it be? Anyone know anything about this? Also, isn't it entirely possible that the last model years of the X-type could be a good purchase decision?
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    So, if it's not the X-type, what would it be?

a Ford :)
    X-types are already at a great discount when compared to Bimmers and Benzes. From what I heard, Jaguar wants to re-establish itself as truly luxurious brand, so they are not planning to have an entry level replacement for the X. S-Type will most likely be the entry model.
  • jwhjwh Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 X-Type just threw a rod through the core and resulted in a blown engine. The dealer advised the cost to repair is $11,000 minimum and possibly $13,000 if the transfer case was also impacted. Since the car is a 2002 with approximately 75,000 miles, even the techs suggested I not get it fixed.
    Two questions:
    1. Has anyone else had this experience?
    2. Does anyone have any ideas about what to do with a loaded 2002 X-Type (premium sound, nav system, standard transmission) where everything is in excellent condition except the engine/transfer case?
    The car is located in Colorado Springs, CO.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Look for a used engine and have it installed or take it to another shop that may rebuild it.
    Shoulda gotten a Hyundai with a 100K mile warranty! Just kidding, sorry to hear about your trouble, that's really too bad. How can they ask $13,000 for an engine replacement if the car isn't worth much more in trade-in? There must be a totaled X-Type somewhere out there sitting with a perfect engine. I would suggest going to a local shop to see if they could help. Their rates or total price would definitely be less than dealership's. A thrown rod can do a lot of damage, so I would advise against trying to fix the engine, especially that you've put 75K miles on it already.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
  • jmcmahonjmcmahon Member Posts: 9
    I own a 03 X Type with the AJ-V6 and it has 44600 miles. The engine has failed and Jag's area rep will not honor the warranty. He claims the engine is neglected and slugded up. In fact I have been very careful about getting the oil and filter changed. Now I am left with a $8,000 bill for the repair. I would never have expected this failure. Rest assure I do not have or share the same thoughts about the car as others do. My campagin is to defame the name Jaguar at every corner. If I felt I was in the wrong I would back down and accept this as a problem I caused. In my heart of hearts I know I am not. The car might look pretty but that is all it will do now is sit there and look pretty. Is this Jaguars method of cost reduction? Well we will see how this plays out. Buyer be aware, the car is only as good as the warranty and the warranty is the worse. The only thing less impressive then the car is the warranty. :cry:
    own a 03 X Type with the AJ-V6 and it has 44600 miles. The engine has failed and Jag's area rep will not honor the warranty. He claims the engine is neglected and slugded up. In fact I have been very careful about getting the oil and filter changed. Now I am left with a $8,000 bill for the repair. I would never have expected this failure. Rest assure I do not have or share the same thoughts about the car as others do. My campagin is to defame the name Jaguar at every corner. If I felt I was in the wrong I would back down and accept this as a problem I caused. In my heart of hearts I know I am not. The car might look pretty but that is all it will do now is sit there and look pretty. Is this Jaguars method of cost reduction? Well we will see how this plays out. Buyer be aware, the car is only as good as the warranty and the warranty is the worse. The only thing less impressive then the car is the warranty.
    Since the there would have been only four oil changes per the factory recommendation, don't you have receipts? The oil changes were free from Jaguar. Who did your oil changes?
    For sure. I have five receipts from oil and filter changes. Including state inspection and a random light bulb that went out. I presented them and still there disallowing the repair. I am aware that the service is free. Purely as a matter of convenience, 100 yards from my office door is a service station. That same service station takes care of the cars from my office. I would go to work park in the service station, walk to my office (100 yds) and pick it up when ever I was ready to leave. Second, I have a degree in Automotive Technology. I am certainly qualified to change the oil and filter by myself. I have additional receipts for the oil and filters I purchased at a local auto supply place. So aside from the four or five receipts from the service station, I have a two bills from the local supply house where I made the purchase of the oil and filter. The car is not neglected by any stretch. If there is a sludge condition, then there was some other contributing factor. Search the web for sludge engines and get a feel for the thousands of people that have similar problems. Look into the reports posted in Car and Driver mag. Call the Center for Auto Safety and speak to Bill Ditlo. I am not alone in this.
  • vaillawvaillaw Member Posts: 1
    I thought I saw a pop up add that said the 2.2 diesel X type would be available in the US. Does anybody know if this is correct?
    I don't understand how they could not cover the repair or engine replacement under warranty if the car is still under warranty? Sludge or no sludge, if you changed your oils then there is nothing else you could have done to "save" the engine, unless you reved it up to 8K rpm or mix oil with sand (but why would you?). There must be a legal action you can take to get paid for this.
    I'll go out on a limb - was the correct oil used??
    I did have the services performed at other then the Jag dealer. Those services were oil and filter changes, a light bulb or two and state inspections. This same service station services all of my companies’ cars. In addition I have a degree in Automotive Technology from a local Long Island university. Aside for the services being performed at the service station, I changed the oil and filter in my garage myself. I certainly think my AAS Degree qualifies me to do so. Besides, lets face it, is an oil and filter change all that hard? There was a precedence set in the courts in the late 90's that the vehicle did not have to be returned to the dealer for this type of maintenance to maintain the warranty. The case was won and awarded to the consumer. That case was also a sludge condition in the engine. I faxed the articles to the dealer ands to Jaguar North America concern the precedence and the Car & Driver reports on engine sludge. The service director, a fancy name for a guy who we all know as a service manger at any other dealership, claims he was shocked at reading the articles, the precedence and are rep, Bill MacKiegans, decision. The lesson to be learned here folks is that Jaguar is not the consumer friendly corporation they let you believe. I fully intend to get my pound of flesh out of them. Saturday I have arranged to picket the dealer and will be doing so for the next few Saturdays. I intend to make sure that as many people know about the underhanded practices of Jaguar. Further, I am going to do a press release on the same matter. Jaguar is not going to get away with disallowing the warranty on this car. I am also working with a web designer to put up a rather attractive site about Jaguars Bill MacKiegan, the area rep. Here is a guy who does not talk to the public according to the dealer staff. Yet, he is making the decision on my car not being covered by the terms of the warranty. The warranty is a joke. The attorney general office has also been contacted as I have filed a complaint with them. You can be certain that when it is all said and done, Jaguar will have spent much more money then they would have spent to simply repair my vehicle. I would like to think, that their legal department will recognize that and advise that the vehicle be repaired. Often decisions are made by the likes of this guy MacKiegan and overturned because they have no legal basis. Again as far as the lesson to be learned, well think about the fact that Jaguar put out a car that the engine failed in 44,600 miles, their area rep, who does not talk to the general public, disallowed the warranty claim, will be responsible for the picketers at the dealership on Saturdays their most busy sales day, and they will be dragged through the courts and more then likely wind up fixing my car anyway. I have learned that their warranty is worthless. I have learned that their quality is considerably less then my wives 1993 Plymoth Sundance with 192,454 miles on it, which is still running as strong as can be with the same engine and transmission. (Serviced by myself and the same service station I have been taking my Jag to) There was something inherently wrong with my vehicle for it to ha sludge in the engine and I will not be held responsible for the premature failure. It may look pretty, in fact sitting there now with a blown engine it looks pretty. But that is it. It is worthless just like the warranty it was sold with. DO NOT BUY A JAGUAR unless you enjoy being raped.
    I can understand you asking that. In todays market, a poor quality oil is somewhat hard to come by. Try going into a auto parts house and finding a non detergent oil. Further, try and find an oil that does not meet with all the specs that new car manufacturers claim are necessary. Lots of Luck..... The fact is I am sure you can find it if you look hard enough, but at that the oil has been changed seven times in 44000 miles. Inferior oil is just not a likely consideration. Jaguar has put my engine together and there is an inherent problem that has caused this failure.
    My 2003 X Type engine blew a hole in the block also. For sure, I have five receipts from oil and filter changes. Including state inspection and a random light bulb that went out. I presented them and still they’re disallowing the repair. I am aware that the service is free. Purely as a matter of convenience, 100 yards from my office door is a service station. That same service station takes care of the cars from my office. I would go to work park in the service station, walk to my office (100 yds) and pick it up when ever I was ready to leave. Second, I have a degree in Automotive Technology. I am certainly qualified to change the oil and filter by myself. I have additional receipts for the oil and filters I purchased at a local auto supply place. So aside from the four or five receipts from the service station, I have two bills from the local supply house where I made the purchase of the oil and filter. The car is not neglected by any stretch. If there is a sludge condition, then there was some other contributing factor. Search the web for sludge engines and get a feel for the thousands of people that have similar problems. Look into the reports posted in Car and Driver mag. Call the Center for Auto Safety and speak to Bill Ditlo. I am not alone in this.

I did have the services performed at other then the Jag dealer. Those services were oil and filter changes, a light bulb or two and state inspections. This same service station services all of my companies’ cars. In addition I have a degree in Automotive Technology from a local Long Island university. Aside for the services being performed at the service station, I changed the oil and filter in my garage myself. I certainly think my AAS Degree qualifies me to do so. Besides, lets face it, is an oil and filter change all that hard? There was a precedence set in the courts in the late 90's that the vehicle did not have to be returned to the dealer for this type of maintenance to maintain the warranty. The case was won and awarded to the consumer. That case was also a sludge condition in the engine. I faxed the articles to the dealer ands to Jaguar North America concern the precedence and the Car & Driver reports on engine sludge. The service director, a fancy name for a guy who we all know as a service manger at any other dealership, claims he was shocked at reading the articles, the precedence and are rep, Bill MacKiegans, decision. The lesson to be learned here folks is that Jaguar is not the consumer friendly corporation they let you believe. I fully intend to get my pound of flesh out of them. Saturday I have arranged to picket the dealer and will be doing so for the next few Saturdays. I intend to make sure that as many people know about the underhanded practices of Jaguar. Further, I am going to do a press release on the same matter. Jaguar is not going to get away with disallowing the warranty on this car. I am also working with a web designer to put up a rather attractive site about Jaguars Bill MacKiegan, the area rep. Here is a guy who does not talk to the public according to the dealer staff. Yet, he is making the decision on my car not being covered by the terms of the warranty. The warranty is a joke. The attorney general office has also been contacted as I have filed a complaint with them. You can be certain that when it is all said and done, Jaguar will have spent much more money then they would have spent to simply repair my vehicle. I would like to think, that their legal department will recognize that and advise that the vehicle be repaired. Often decisions are made by the likes of this guy MacKiegan and overturned because they have no legal basis. Again as far as the lesson to be learned, well think about the fact that Jaguar put out a car that the engine failed in 44,600 miles, their area rep, who does not talk to the general public, disallowed the warranty claim, will be responsible for the picketers at the dealership on Saturdays their most busy sales day, and they will be dragged through the courts and more then likely wind up fixing my car anyway. I have learned that their warranty is worthless. I have learned that their quality is considerably less then my wives 1993 Plymoth Sundance with 192,454 miles on it, which is still running as strong as can be with the same engine and transmission. (Serviced by myself and the same service station I have been taking my Jag to) There was something inherently wrong with my vehicle for it to ha sludge in the engine and I will not be held responsible for the premature failure. It may look pretty, in fact sitting there now with a blown engine it looks pretty. But that is it. It is worthless just like the warranty it was sold with. DO NOT BUY A JAGUAR unless you enjoy being raped.

Jag's are not wotrth the metal they are made of, trust me everyone I com in contact with will get an earfull about Jaguar from me.
    I can understand you asking that. In todays market, a poor quality oil is somewhat hard to come by. Try going into a auto parts house and finding a non detergent oil. Further, try and find an oil that does not meet with all the specs that new car manufacturers claim are necessary.

But you didn't answer the question: did the oil used meet Jaguar specifications?

I have a VW Passat. It is almost impossible to find the required synthetic oil except at a VW dealer.

I wish you luck in your campaign.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    My guess would be jag specifies synthetic, as their oil change interval is 10,000 miles.
    Your guess is incorrect. Jaguar does not specify synthetic oil.
  • xkssxkss Member Posts: 722
    Excuse me if I'm coming in on this a little late in the game, but all the talk of the end of the X-type after 2009 makes me wonder what will replace it? Certainly, Jaguar can't have the S-type be the entry point. Mercedes is willing to go as low as the C-class, and BMW has their 3 Series. It just makes sense that Jaguar would offer some sort of entry vehicle. So, if it's not the X-type, what would it be? Anyone know anything about this? Also, isn't it entirely possible that the last model years of the X-type could be a good purchase decision?

Jaguar should drop the X-Type and stick with the aluminum XJ, new aluminum XK, and make an aluminum S-Type. They wanted to make over 200,000 cars, but they are now going to scale back production. Three cars (S-Type, XJ, XK) using one aluminum chassis (XJ) is a great idea.
    The Car Connection said that Jaguar had already decided not to use the aluminum body for the SType. Too expensive. (Could be a Bill Ford decision of course)
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    Hello all, I'm new here as I just bought my first Jaguar (2006) X-Type last Friday, primarily for my wife's use. I've been a frequent visitor to the Chevy Tahoe site for several years (I drive a 2004 Tahoe Z-71) and will now be checking in over here too.

It's been interesting to listen to the complaints and as I'm sure everyone knows, there is always something to complain about, large and small, no matter what you drive. No one makes a vehicle that doesn't produce a "lemon" or two or three. I can only hope for the best.

Anyway, I do like the our new Jag for the most part. However, after 180 miles, I had to bring it in because the "Check Engine" light came on. The engine began running a little rough as I was coming to a stop. It seemed to clear up in a few seconds but light stayed on. Couldn't tell you what the mechanic said it was (something about a pressure valve that controls air/fuel mixture) but he reset and time will tell if I'll be back.

Also noted after I purchased and got it out on more open highway (test drive was at slow speeds and on very smooth streets) the road noise is a bit more than I expected (Wife had a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am that seemed quieter!). Anyone else notice this?

Last question...I thought 2002 was the first year for the X-Type, but I read something that mentioned 2000 as the first year. Which is correct??

Thanks. Tom S.
    Welcome Tom. I bought our first XType in late 2001 but it was a 2002 model. That was indeed the first year in the USA. However earlier models were produced in Europe. I think the confusion comes when a poster from across the pond posts something about his 2001 SE for instance.
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    desertguy:

Thanks for the info.
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    jmacmahon should let the courts decide if he is in the right or not, because if he is in any way wrong, he will find himself in a lot of trouble for his acts against Jaguar and the dealership. Once he knows positively that he is legally in the right by a court decision, then he would reduce his risk. Revenge is a powerful emotion that seems to be driving him right now and he needs to chill out, remain rational, and let the legal process do what needs to be done. His serious need to get revenge is going to spoil his case, unfortunately, and the courts will not be pleased to see the details of his angry revenge towards the dealership and Jaguar. My advice to him: be patient, be persistent, be diligent, be sure to take the high road throughout this process, don't compromise integrity, do not act or appear irrational, and be out for justice, not spiteful revenge. Good Luck.
  • gshocksvgshocksv Member Posts: 77
    Wow, very well said!
  • oldengineeroldengineer Member Posts: 22
    If you've verified that the engine is indeed full of sludge, then I would suggest that you go after the oil change place. This sounds more like an oil related problem. I suspect that they've been doing the service with cheap oil and oil filters. The low quality oil and filters these places use causes problems. I bought a used GM truck that had been serviced religiously every 3K miles by one of the national chains. I just had to replace the engine which failed because there was over a pound of sludge in the engine. Every bearing and the oil pump was worn out in an engine that typically lasts for twice the miles I got out of it. My son, formerly a big proponent of using "whatever's on sale" oil and filters, blew the engine's valve train in his hyundai at 16K . If I have an oil change place service my car, I hand them a big jug of Castrol GTX and a premium oil filter. The internets full of stories about Chrysler V-6's being sludgers. Yet I've run 6 of them to high miles with no sludge at all using premium oil and decent filters. My advice - find out who's oil was used for the changes and file a claim with the manufacturer. In all probability, these are the guys who caused your engine failure and voided your warranty.

Regards:
    Oldengineer