Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    We have have had our 2006 X-Type for 2 weeks now and I have read the Owners Handbook cover to cover and I couldn't find any mention of tire rotation! Also checked the required service items in the Maintenance Schedule and no mention of tire rotation there either!

Every car I've ever owned addressed some sort of a tire rotation schedule; is this something unique to Jaguar? Comments??

Tom
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Tom: Jaguar does not recommend tire rotation on the XType. I did the same as you and finally called the 800# and that is what they told me. Probably something to do with the AWD. Some dealers try to get you to do it anyway to make an extra buck so I hear.
  • baldiebaldie Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased my 2002 jag xtype yesterday with 38K miles, paid a little under 17k. I absolutely love how it drives and handles. I just have a few questions about it, and if anyone can help that would be great. I put in 89 octane gas....is that okay or should I go the highest octaine? Also in the specifcations descriptions that I've read online, it says it comes with rear foglights standard.....what basically are rear foglights? Also I use synthtic oil for all my cars and was wondering if I should be doing the same with the xtype?
    I just purchased my 2002 xtype yesterday but it only has the projection headlights I believe. I was interested in gettting some HID lights for my x-type and was wondering if someone could point me in teh right direction.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Rear Fog Light - Most European brands offer them. It is typically a single bulb that burns brighter than the tail lights in order to alert vehicles behind you of your presence. Turn on your fogs at night and then check out your rear lights - you should see it.
    I have used 89 octane in both of my XTypes since new and cannot tell any difference in performance and there is no knocking. When I take a trip and across the Rocky Mountains, I switch to 91 or higher due to the change in altitude but otherwise I think using the higher octane is a waste of money. Many owners will not agree with me.
    Well I've gone through 1 tank of 89 octane so far and no problems. The engine runs smooth and shifts smooth so I think I'll stay with 89. Also how do you get to the bulbs of the fog lights? I couldnt find how to do that in the manual.

So is it unique to have a jaguar made in Europe verses here in the states?
    My left side marker light cracked (the orange part). Anyone know where I can get a new one online?
    "So is it unique to have a jaguar made in Europe verses here in the states? "

Uh, all Jaguars are manufactured in England.
  • emstillersemstillers Member Posts: 3
    Hi. Just bought a 2002 X-type. It has the tape player in the dash, and the prior owner installed a Sony 10 disc changer in the trunk. I think it is the base audio system. It has a small, handheld controller for the changer that is on a cord coming out of the kickpanel.

It works fine, but I am already tired of fumbling with this little controller doohicky. I would like to either get the factory changer or cd player. Does anyone know of an aftermarket supplier for these items? Are all X-types pre-wired for the changer? Would I need any other connectors?

Thanks in advance.
    Chris
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    My dealer also told me that tire rotation is not recommended or required on the X-Type, which definitely has to do with the AWD system. Less to worry about, but we may need to replace the tires sooner due to uneven wear.
    Jaguar uses fiber optics in their ICE systems and as far as I know, nobody makes units that will hook up to the factory units. Not enough demand probably. Getting a new unit from Jaguar would be ridiculously expensive. Perhaps a unit from a wrecked car would be the most feasible.
    Yep. If you have the automatic climate control, the outside temp is displayed on the temp display.

I just bought a 2002 X-type and am loving it. Good luck!

Chris M
    Thanks. I did use a part locator service, they have the factory 6 disc changer for $375.00. Still mulling over if it's worth the $ or not, or just get used to the 10 disc changer I have.

FWIW...the audio options on this car are kind of stupid. Who wants a tape player and no cd these days?

Chris M
    I just purchased a 2002 jaguar x-type a few days ago and since then I've been reading alot about the problems that the 2002 has had. I was sort of concerned however only 1 issue has occured since buying the car. The windshield washers seem to leak when the car runs for awhile. I usually notice it when I'm driving and I see fluid dripping onto the hood of the car. I know this was one of the problems that I read about, does anyone know how to fix this???
  • frisbyfrisby Member Posts: 1
    I have just come across your entry dated Mar. 18th (I'm a little late), and just wanted to let you know that mine does the same thing at 90mph. The whining noise sounds like I left a window open. I've had nothing but problems from day 1. I can't go into the dealership and tell them to "drive the car at 90 so you can hear the same noise," as that's not something they would do. I give up. The car just has so many problems that we're trading it. "Good riddance"
    I just purchased a 2002 Jaguar xtype and was wondering if I should purchase an extended warrenty. I've looked online and was quoted coverages ranging from $2,000-$3,500. Most of them need 30% down with 10 monthly payments thereafter, so thats roughly $500-$1000 down. Are these warranties a must to have especially if you own a jag??
    Thanks for your comments. Sorry you are giving up. Overall, I think this is a nice car, especially for the money. I "invited" a mechanic from the dealership to ride with me and I pointed out all the noises to him going as fast as 80 mph. He heard them as well as I did. A week later they said that all was fixed, the drivetrain noise needed an adjustment to the propshaft (Bull S!). As expected, the noise was still there, just as loud as before. While my car was in the shop, I was driving a rental 2005 X-Type, which was very quiet, no noises at any speed. It was much more comfortable to ride in such a quiet car. I am going to give the dealer one more chance as they were really trying to help. I will suggest replacing the rear differential. Too bad they don't know what they are doing. If they don't fix the noises, I will drive the car through winter for the AWD and will get rid of it in the spring. What will your next car be, Frisby?
  • jonesjjonesj Member Posts: 1
    I am a new owner of a 1999 Jaguar XJ8L and I am curious as to the brand oil and filter to use when I change it myself.
    Also, could anyone tell me if the need for an oil change could be the reason the Amber Check Engine light is lit?
    Well you've posted your question in the XType forum. You might have better luck posting it in the XJ Series forum. I don't know the answer for your car.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Here's a link to the right place: Jaguar XJ-Series.

Congrats on your new ride! ;)
  • nor_calnor_cal Member Posts: 1
    Im pretty happy deciding to pick up our Jaguar X-Type vs.an Audi, BMW, MBZ, or a VW. Our family needed an intermediate car (Sporty Saedan) between our Suburban and VW, so the Jaguar X-Type was a bang for the buck winner. I got such a great deal for it, I was able to aggressively give this cat a facelift and make it even more unique.
    Here's a link to what I did and what it looks like:
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2135533

I make BMW and MBZ owner's heads turn :-) :shades: ">
    nor_cal: Your car looks sharp. I have much of what you have on my '05 Sport. It comes with the sport suspension and the body kit all around. Also comes with the large exhaust tips and upper & lower black mesh grills. The standard 18" Aruba wheels and Pirelli PNero Zero tires. Be VERY careful of the low front valance. I have already ripped mine on one of those cement parking blocks!
  • tagmantagman Member Posts: 8,441
    The '02 mechanicals are always a little scary, but WOW what a GREAT job on the body! Thanks for the pics. Car looks FANTASTIC!
  • janetlacrossejanetlacrosse Member Posts: 20
    HI everyone. I need your opinion. I have always loved the look of the Jag. I am a fun 41 year old woman, who has always thought of the Jag as a 'guys' car. What does everyone think> Would a 40ish lady look silly driving a Jag? I would go with the blue or carnival red. The price is at 20,000 for a 2002 with almost everything (moonroof,etc) no heated seats. But what a price. My other choice is the VW Passat, they drive extremely smooth, and much more fun than the camry.
    Thanks, I'd appreciate hearing from women and men!
    Actually, I have seen many younger women (in their 40s) driving a Jaguar, especially X-Type. You definitely would not look silly! I would prefer to use words such as elegant, stylish and sophisticated. If you were to drive an XJ8, that could be an overkill, but X-Type is perfect for a younger person IMHO (I am 32). Jaguar may not be the most mechanically refined, quiet and trouble free machine, but it has a certain, undisputable originality and style, which most other cars on the market will never have, including Passat, Camry or Accord (although they are great means of transportation). The X-Type is definitely more of a sporty and agile vehicle than its bigger brothers S-Type and XJ8, so naturally it fits more in the younger crowd, again IMHO. I have enjoyed my stick-shift Salsa Red X-Type for 10 months now and I still feel like a millionaire every time I drive it. I didn't realize it, but people do give you that jealous look when you get out of your vehicle or when they cross the street while you are stopped at a red light. They look at the leaper on the hood and then right into your eyes. It's funny because little do they know that their streamline Camrys, Accords or Passats may have cost more than my Jag. You also notice the difference in the way the valet porters treat you and your car. The magic of Jaguar does shine through! I myself used to think that only the few wealthy ones do get the privilege of driving a Jaguar, but thanks to the X-Type, you essentially "buy" a membership to an exclusive club at a discount price. Sure that X-Type may be based on Ford platform and have some Ford parts in it, but it still looks like the baby brother of the large and expensive XJ8 and its interior finish with cherry wood and leather upholstery make you feel pampered while the leaper ornament on the hood shows you the way.

Make sure to shop around before you buy and try to get at least 2003 model as 2002 had a number of mechanicals issues, allegedly fixed in the later models. Good luck!
    Q. Do you know what Jaguar engineers used to design the X-Type's trunk space?

A. A 32-inch flat screen TV in a box.

I bought the TV yesterday and it fit in the trunk perfectly, down to an 8th of an inch! Try that in a 3-series BMW. Thank you Jag engineers!
    Thanks for the reply to the email regarding women and Jags. I did find a couple that I LOVED online, a carnival red, and a pearl blue. I agree with you, they turn heads, and I have definitely given any Jag driver a second look. I had no idea they are priced in my range - like you said in the boring Camry/Accord range. (I do like the Passat, both the style and it drives like a dream) However, after emailing for more info regarding the Jag certified plans,etc. I discovered I probably live too far away from a Jag dealership for it to make sense logically to buy a Jag. In my heart, I really, really want one!! I am about 90 minutes from Minneapolis, and about the same from Madison,Wi,,,,,they won't let anyone in town work on the car. I actually saw a Jag on my way to work yesterday,,,gorgeous!
    I might now consider Lexus. They allow Toyota to work on cars, case by case basis. I thought possibly, since Ford owns Jag, it would be the same, and they would allow Ford to service the car. Both Milwaukee and Minneapolis told me NO!
    The Minn. guy did say they would flat bed it up,etc.but that would still leave me without a car, and from reading these forums, they are not without problems. If I lived 30 minutes from a dealership I would just buy one anyway.
    Maybe someday,,,,,,
    Your car sounds very nice. I'm happy for you,,,and if I see you at that stop light, I'll look you in the eye and wink! ;)
    That is just amazing. I bought a 32 inch screen TV in a box, this summer, it just barely made it into my Grand Cherokee!!
    That's another reason I wanted the Jag, I'm downsizing from a SUV, and the AWD sounds perfect for the snow here. Maybe I'll just buy one, and hope it never needs work!
    That's what I did - I moved from an SUV to the Jag and while I missed my truck on a couple of trips to Home Depot, otherwise my Jag does it all.

I will be looking out for you at the stop lights :blush: !
    Unbelievably, while researching online last night for cars,,,a 2004 Jag, Black Raspberry, 16,514 miles showed up on my screen at a local dealership 1 mile away! Priced at $24,000. I did the Edmunds TMV and I believe it came back closer to $30,000. I'm afraid to even drive by,,,I might write a check the second I return from a test drive,,, still not sure that is the best decision for me right now, based on the "no dealership in town" issue. :cry:
    Do it, do it, do it! It basically has your name on it!
    Axiom, you're a bad influence! I bought a car last night -- it's not the Jag. I will have a Jag SOME day. I'm glad I discovered the X-type in my search for a new vehicle. I love the style and the price. The dealer in town (or lack of) was the dealer breaker, since this forum was an eye opener to some issues with the car. My plan will be to buy in 2009,which might be the last year they make this model.
    Enjoy the ride,,,,,,and the envious looks! ;);)
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Is that LaCrosse wisconsin?

There are good cheap jags in lax sometimes, but the lack of a dealer would scare me.

dave
    Yes, LaCrosse Wisconsin. Do you know the city? The AWD sounded like a great fit for this area, however, like you said, no dealer in town makes it a hard car to buy.
    I will have one someday now that I know what the price is on the X-type. Do you have one?
    My family lives there. I'm in chicago, but i visit all the time. Nice place.

I don't have a x-type, i have a 3-series. Looked at the x-type, waiting for a type R ;)
    But i did make it for irishfest. Yes, the smaller BMW. The X-type R would be one with a supercharged engine and stiffer suspension, things like that. Is that cherry red one a stick? ;)
    It's an automatic, is that a bad thing? Probably for a guy it is. With a cell phone ringing in your pocket, do you really want to bother shifting too? Maybe it has a tiptronic, like most new automatic cars have, you can still shift, but without the clutch. Not sure the Jag has it. I get the supercharged, but what is the scoop about a stiffer suspension?
    How was Irishfest? Good crowd?
    Tiptronic's not it, i like a clutch. I'd like stiffer suspension to i can toss it into corners harder.

Cell phone: Leave it alone. Drive. :) ( pet peeve ).

Irishfest was ok. Small. Milwaukee one is loads better.
    I agree about the cell phone. It's annoying to see every car making a left turn have a phone to their ear.
    Sounds like the red Jag is not for you. It is a good deal for someone out there. :shades:

I think Irishfest was the first attempt - perhaps next year will be better.

Are you looking to replace your BMW (which, I must add the owners of these using a cell phone are in the high percentage, you must be a rare BMW driver :D ) Or, is the Jag in addition? The Jag sounds like it would be WONDERFUL in Chicago snow, how is the BMW?
    You should probably e-mail be before we get chided for off-topic. E-mail's in the profile.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You can talk here if you want, just keep the conversation car-related and come back to the topic on a regular basis. ;)
    Thanks Pat! I haven't been chided in years! :)
    Dave, your email is marked private. Mine is janetlacrosse@yahoo.com
    Well, chicago isn't so bad, the streets are plowed pretty often. I put snows on my car because i do drive to wisconsin so often. I do ok in the ice & snow with the snows, as long as i don't floor the car during turns or anything silly like that. ;)

My personal opinion is that if you want to be safe in snow, you need snow tires no matter if you have FWD, AWD, or RWD. Drivetrain won't help you stop faster or turn more safely.

There _is_ an audi dealer in LAX. There's a 2001 certified(warrantied) A4 1.8T quattro, light silver, heated seats for $17,900. There's also a lease special on an a4Q 3.2L for $0 dn and 399/mo. If i lived in LAX, i'd probably have an audi, even though it's not my first choice here in chicago.

Also, ya know, if you had a jag under warranty, if something did go seriously wrong, i think they are under some obligation to fix it. However, driving to madison frequently might be a PITB.

I'm looking forward to making both oktoberfest and irishfest next year.

dave
    Yes, Jag warranty would cover it. Minneapolis dealer offered to even flat bed it up there if it was undrivable. However, it would still leave me without a vehicle,etc. Are there any other Jag owners out there that DO NOT live near a dealership,,,how is it working for you? :shades:
    I live about 20 miles from a Jag dealership and whenever I leave my car for service I get a free loaner. You could find out if your closest dealership offers free loaners.
    Driving an AWD in Chicago in winter is awesome. Even with the original all-season tires on, I can plough through snowy side-streets (which sometimes don't get ploughed for days) with authority. My wife's FWD is not doing so well in similar conditions. Sure it makes no difference in stopping, but slowing down using your engine is more effective in AWD, as in FWD or RWD you run a greater risk of sliding if you apply too low of a gear for engine braking to one axle. Turns are easier in AWD, too, because you have all 4 wheels pulling through the turn instead of just two (or one if you don't have traction control or limited slip differential). A friend of mine who drives a BMW 545 said that the car was doing poorly in winter time on the original tires, but it made a world of difference when he put winter tires on. Another advantage of the AWD is when I pull the car out of a garage after it snowed all night. Sometimes I don't have the time to move the snow from my driveway in the morning, but the X-Type just goes through it with ease. The X-Type AWD is great not only in winter, but also in rain, when FWDs spin wheels on start at the green light and RWDs fishtail, while I get propelled forward as if driving on dry pavement. Now, if only Jaguar could pefect this AWD system to make it run quiet, that would be awesome!
    Thanks for your thorough reply. I thought you had disappeared.
    My glitch is the dealer is more than 90 miles away. :(
    Sorry, I was out ridin' my X-Type on slippery roads (just kidding). You are right, 90 miles is a bit too far to have a car serviced. What did you end up buying?
  • lostfemalelostfemale Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 X sport and have had it at the dealers three times - transmission replaced and the drive shaft twice. It now has 53,000 mi and continues to have a 'thump' under the floor on the drivers side! Thank goodness for 100,000 mile warranties. The dealer is now saying they dont know why - any suggestions?
  • libraryguylibraryguy Member Posts: 3
    There's a 2004 Manual X-Type 2.5 I can buy from dealership with full warranty for 20K. It only has 10,000 miles on it. I've driven it and it's great and it's black inside and out -- just beautiful. Do you think there's something wrong with it? Why would they have a car that's almost 2 years old with only 10K miles on it? I've read the boards and it seems like a few people have had clutch problems, but not many. Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks!