Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• zillzzillz Member Posts: 21
    First of all, I'm still about 3 years out from buying my next car, unless my novels really take off.....Anyway, I do research way ahead of time. I have always loved the styling of Jaguar cars. In 2008 or 2009 I may consider a used X or S. However, I keep hearing the following: The X-type is scheduled to be discontinued around that time. I've heard that the 2.5 is on borrowed time. Is this true? I have read horror stories of drivetrain and transmission problems. I live in Eau Claire, WI so I'm 100 miles from a dealer...but there is a private guy here who can work on any import you put in front of him. A used X-type for less than $20K is the only Jag (or maybe a very used S-type under $20K) that I could ever afford. Do the S-types have any problems like I've heard about the X-Types? Is the 3.0 in the X the same one as in the lower-end S-Type? I'm a Volkswagen guy, really, but love the looks of Jags. For 17-19K there are many VW's I could get, but I was just wondering if that price range would only get you "junk" in the Jaguar realm....................
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    Honestly, you could probably get the price lowered some more, but even at $20K, that's not a bad deal. I have an '04 2.5 Manual and I only have 11K miles. That's because I purchased the car in late December 2004, so I essentially have been driving it for 11months, so I average 1K miles per month. If I had bought the car in September of 2003 when the '04s became available, I would have about 27K miles on the odometer. Check the sticker on the pilar of the car, which is placed towards the bottom and can be viewed when you open the driver's door. The sticker shows the date of manufacturing, which will give you a general idea when the car was placed in service. The clutch is not too big of a problem, it is just stiffer than any other car with manual transmission that I tried. If it takes 2 lbs of pressure to depress the clutch in an Acura or BMW, it would take 10lbs to depress the clutch in the X-Type (just an example). I actually complained about it to the dealer and they "adjusted" the clutch, which believe it or not, is now easier to depress. Also, many have complained that smooth shifts are difficult to accomplish. Do yourself a favor and test drive the car on a highway and listen for whining or droning noises from drivetrain at 50 - 70mph. If you can live with those or don't hear them, you are good to go! Good luck.
  • libraryguylibraryguy Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for all the information. I test drove it last week and took it out on the highway. I didn't find the clutch too difficult to press, but it did take me a few minutes to get used to it. In general, are you happy with the car? Right now, I'm driving a 1995 Infiniti G20 with 150K miles on it so I'm planning on keeping the jag for a long time.
  • janetlacrossejanetlacrosse Member Posts: 20
    Axiom: I bought a VW Passat. Right car showed up in town. 2004 Black, roof, leather, heated seats,etc. local lease return, talked with the previous owners, everything just fell into place. The VW handles great, I love it! :shades:

Wish I had the jag, but no dealer around!

To the Eau Claire guy, I live in Lacrosse, and there is also a 2004 typeX at a dealership here, with low miles prices around 22,000. 20,000 sounds like a deal.
    One thing to think about,,,you mentioned there is a guy that works on Jags in your area. I have that here in Lacrosse too,,,,however if you want the Jag warranty to cover anything,it MUST be done at a Jag Dealership. YOur local guy could do small stuff for you, buy anything really 'under warranty', he wouldn't be able to. I checked with the Minn. dealer and the Milwaukee dealer, and they both gave me that information. That's why I decided against the Jag,,,no dealer in Lacrosse either. Closest is Madison, or the cities. :sick:
  • zillzzillz Member Posts: 21
    To Janet Lax: Well, I was only considering an X-type 3 years from now, and I would have to go back about 3 or 4 model years to get one below 20K Dollars. In 2009, I figure an '05 will be priced at approximately what an '02 is now. It would be out of factory warranty by then, anyway. Most cars I buy are....But, I see a pattern of drivetrain problems on many Jag boards, and I see what you're talking about. Being 1.5 to 2 hours away from a dealer could pose a potential nightmare. Eau Claire has an excellent VW/Audi dealership and I'll probably stick with VW (or Audi, if all the Doomsday prophets who claim VW will cease to exist within 10 years because of declining sales since 2001 turn out to be right. I think they are dead wrong myself, and that 2006 will see a major turnaround for VW. I know this is a Jag forum, but enjoy your Passat.
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Especially if one has their first luxury car, you ought to be more circumspect about service/warranty. Repair costs will be higher on any luxury car, american, european, or japanese. It would truly suck to get a car you love that is a huge pain and expense to keep running. Part of the joy of a car like this is the lack of worry and nice dealer treatment & convienence.

So for _first_ luxury car, i'd almost suggest you jump of the first el cheapo lease special available to get your feet wet. You've got a warranty the whole time, etc.

Just some thoughts.
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    Spoken by a BMW owner? That is one of the main reasons I have never had a BMW: the cost of even routine service is outrageous. I have had many tales from friends with this marquee. At least my Jag has all service covered for the first 40K miles and then I will be out of it. Jaguar service is ridiculous as well for brake jobs etc.
    I don't think BMW is more expensive than most other luxury car to maintain, probably less so than some. And, all service is covered for the first 4 years 50K miles. Up until a few months ago, i'd spent $1800 total maintaining the car up to 100K miles. But ball joints, control arms, shocks, and a few other 100K mile health work was $1800 itself. But, perhaps i've been lucky, and i have made an effort to save money on maintainence. I had a saab before which was used and liked to have a few hundred tossed at it every few months. Shoulda leased there.

Heck, a chevy can make you write big checks now and again. All cars are getting more complex and expensive to maintian.

Just opining as i did before because i know peoiple who have bought "dream" used luxury cars, then been socked with a $5000 bill a few months later. Best to let your dream remain a good one. ;)

dave
    Yes, I am generally very happy with the Jaguar. I like the way it is put together and the combination of performance (2.5 with stick is a blast to drive, you can take it to 120 mph in no time and I have smoked the tires on a couple of occassions, you just need to keep the rpm high) and fuel economy is quite acceptable at 19-20mpg in mixed, mostly heavy traffic with frequent stops, including my performance runs to the red line. Not to mention the status of being a Jaguar owner. However, with that said, I still have a horsepower itch that only a Pontiac GTO could scratch (400 horses and 400 lb/ft of torque). I will certainly drive the Jag through Chicago winter as AWD really makes a difference, then I will reconsider in March.
    As much as i like RWD, you might want to keep the jag to drive in the slippery stuff if the alternative is the GTO in the winter. An s4 or s60R might be other anti-itch ointments. ;)

dave
    I now have over 11K miles on my 2.5 X-Type and I noticed considerable improvement in acceleration, especially in the mid-range. Have any of you noticed the same? Perhaps the car is finally broken-in.
  • chrisclaudechrisclaude Member Posts: 1
    I misplaced the manual and need to change my FM station presets. This is the only pet peeve I have with our 03 X-Type is that the radio is not very intuitive like Japanese cars.
  • ckell626ckell626 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 X type with 22,000 miles and the starter has already gone...is that odd? Thanks
    Just press the appropriate number on the radio pad and hold it for a few seconds. The station will be saved on that number.
  • oldengineeroldengineer Member Posts: 22
    My 03 2.5 did the same thing at about 20K, just after one of my service visits to the dealer. It was so noticeable that I called them and asked them if they had re-programmed the car's computer or something to cause it. They indicated that all they did was an oil change. I don't know what caused it - but -I sure enjoy the extra power.

Regards:
    Oldengineer :)
  • felipe1felipe1 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for any and all owners whom have had clutch failure problems in 2004 X-Type Jags.
    What do you mean by clutch failure? Mine gets stiff at times and especially when it is cold out, but it works fine otherwise. Give us more background to your problem.
    The winter has finally arrived in Chicago. It was 7 F this morning (-5 F wind chill). I had to park my car outside last night and it started fine this morning, but my clutch was so stiff that it would get stuck to the bottom the first few times I depressed it. There was also a whine noise coming from the engine compartment, which would go away when the clutch was depressed. The car would also make squealing noises moving forward for the first 0.5 mile. The gear stick was very difficult to move. Anybody else having similar cold-weather issues?
  • felipe1felipe1 Member Posts: 2
    Inside of 20 months from delivery of a new 2004 X-Type, the clucth has failed/burned out/worn out, etc. twice. After stopping it has not let me engage 1st gear and has to be towed back to dealer.
    Did the dealer cover the cost of a new clutch under warranty? Did you try to burn the tires, but instead burned the clutch? I know I burned by clutch slightly on a couple of occassions - I could smell the characteristic "burned clutch smell" , but it continues to engage properly, although I still don't like the way it operates.
  • libraryguylibraryguy Member Posts: 3
    I would recommend sticking with a Volkswagen. I recently bought an X-Type and it's awful. I'm thinking of selling it and taking the loss. One thing that nobody mentions is that the X-Type (and I can't speak for any other jag) has an additional blind spot. The seats are situated very high and the rear-view mirro is very low so I find that I'm constantly bobbing my head around to see around the mirror. It's dangerous and I almost hit somebody the other day because he was walking in my new blind spot. What a treat.
    I know what you are saying about the big rear view mirror. This really bothers me, too, but the X is not the only car with this issue.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    You should be able to adjust the mirror up higher - most mirrors have two adjustable joints.
  • toohumantoohuman Member Posts: 10
    I have been beating my head against a wall for a few weeks trying to decided between a BMW 325i with Sport, Premium and Nav or X-Type with VDP, Nav and Bluetooth. I have a dealer locked in to order the X-Type with all my options for $36,300...but the BMW is an awesome car too, but about 2K more expensive. What do you all think?
    I faced this exact situation in 2003. My thoughts:
    1. The Jag has AWD standard, the BMW doesn't.
    2. The Jag is a bit larger inside, a bit classier, and has a much larger trunk.
    3. The Jag has the BMW outgunned on HP, but, is heavier. The Jag felt more athletic to me.
    4. The Jags of late have been doing better than BMW in consumer reliability ratings.
    5. Handling wise, I couldn't really tell any difference between the 2 cars.
    6. The Jag depreciates worse than the BMW will. When I got down to brass tacks in negotiating with the two dealers, the Jag ended up $6K cheaper than a comparably equipped 325i w/o AWD. This negated the depreciation factor for me. I would try negotiating for a bigger discount on the Jag - perhaps by contacting one of the larger dealers. I went to Jaguar - Lexington,Ky to get the deal I wanted.

Just my 2cents worth:
    Oldengineer
    Well, you could do a whole comparison topic on this:

Quick answer is the BMW's a performance car, and the jag's more of a lux car, particularly as you have them configured, the bmw's way ahead with perf and handling. Have you driven them both back to back?
    I did drive both of them back to back. I have decided that I want/need a client/traveling car more than a performance car. I have a very nice Bullitt for performance, so I decided to go with the Jag. I feel the BMW, while probably a better car, is simply too ordinary. It seems like every attorney I know has one and I like a bit of variety in my life. The wife however, really likes the BMW so I will likely get her one next year and keep the Jag for myself.

I do really appreciate your comments.
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    I have never heard anyone else say an X-Type had more interior room than a 325i, nor perform better.
    I've heard the rear seat of an X-Type is more comparable to a Lexus IS and the perfomance and handling more like a Lexus ES.
    What you have "heard" is wrong. Rather than passing on rumors and anecdotes why don't you compare the cars by looking at and driving them?
    That's funny. My wife had her heart set on a BMW too. Right up until I had her drive the Jag half way through our test drive. I even took her back to BMW for another drive of the BMW, but, we both decided the Jag was the way to go. The car will fool you until you get used to it. You don't really get much "seat of the pants' feel when the car's accelerating with the AWD. However, you look down the speedo and suddenly discover you're doing 100 mph down the interstate. Of course, mine's got the 2.5 liter engine, and, your's has the 3 liter 227 hp. Enjoy.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
    Thanks for your help/suggestions on this matter. Do you know of any good forums or sites (other than this one) where Jag owners converse and discuss issues/problems?

Cheers,

Stephen D.
    I know a great Jaguar forum; however Edmunds does not allow postings about other forums here and I'm afraid it would be removed before you could read it. :(
    It is an easy comparison based on Edmund's specs:

2005 Jaguar X-Type vs. 2005 BMW 3-series
    Front head room: 37.2 vs. 37.0 in.
    Front shoulder: 54.5 vs. 54.4 in.
    Rear head room: 37.5 vs. 37.4 in.
    Rear shoulder: 53.7 vs. 54.2 in.
    Front Leg Room: 42.4 vs. 41.4 in.
    Rear Leg Room: 34.4 vs. 34.6 in
    Luggage Capacity: 16 vs. 10.7 cu. ft.

Generally, both cars are rather small, especially in the back seat, but Jaguar comes in a bit larger than BMW, especially in the luggage and front leg room category. I drove my friend's 3-series and it drove fine, accelerated smoothly and shifted well, but it didn't particularly stand out or differ from the Jag. Objectively speaking, the Jaguar is a bit more pleasant to drive and the driver's seating position is better at least for me. The biggest difference was in turns! Since the bimmer is a RWD, I had to be really careful with throttle on turns or I would have the rear end come around, whereas in the Jag I can floor it without worrying about doing a 360 in the middle of a busy intersection. At the end it comes down to personal preference because they are both nice cars. As for me, as soon as I can find a brand new Bimmer with AWD and a trunk big enough to fit a 32-inch flat screen TV (it fit in my X-Type's trunk), which would cost me no more than mid $20s, I will be sold.
    Was your friend's 3-series a modified one with a superchgarged v8?

I can floor mine in first gear during tight turns and "the end doesn't come around".

Also, characterizations such as "pleasant" are subjective, not objective.

dave
  • kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    My 02 3.0 sport manual had many growing pains but the clutch was not one of them. After almost 60k miles no problems. As far as cold weather, I live in cleveland and if the car has been outside all da y the shifter is a little stiff but usually loosens up after a few throws, less than a minute.
    No, it wasn't a V8, it was actually a V10, straight from a Viper (ha, ha). In all seriousness, if I faced a possibility of getting a new 3-series for the same or at least close price as I got my Jaguar, I would be strongly biased towards the bimmer for its sportiness, but until then, I will fully enjoy my Jaguar. I agree with you that "pleasant" is very subjective. It was just my own observation.
  • dogboy1dogboy1 Member Posts: 1
    Hey guys,new to group.just picked up a beautiful 03'3.0 in pristine condition.LOVE IT...wondering if anyone has used lowering springs? how did it effect ride? I like that squaty stance,but don't want to sacrafice ride quality.any and all help greatly appreciated.Thanks Mike
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome! You should also have a look at our Speed Shop: Tuning & Modification board. Have fun!
  • nkhan1nkhan1 Member Posts: 8
    After reading edmunds forums, it seems Jaguar X-type 2002 till 2004 are worthless cars. Everyone who has bought the cars except only a few rare cases ,seem to have problem with this car. Yet Jag owners still love their cars. No doubt the beauty of the car is un matchable.
    Soemtime the way soem have written down clearly shows they had no idea about the car but just wrote down or maybe they are sales people themselves.

I am intrested in buying a Jaguar X-type of 2002 (used) with around 48k miles on it. Please recommend if i should or not. Seeing so many problems wther genuine or not i am a little reluctant to buy this car. WIll appreciate you views. Thanks
    If you have really been reading this forum, you would know that you should avoid a 2002 as it was the first year and had many problems, most of them minor. I would definitely try for a 2003 or later when most all the problems were addressed. That said, I bought an early 2002 and had almost no problems at all. But I am in the minority. If I were you, I would not buy the '02.
    There are lots of cars (if not most) that do have issues, some minor and others major in nature. We would all like a perfect car, but they do not exist. Even the very expensive BMWs encounter major electrical issues and Lexus owners complain about anything from their cars pulling to one side to their engines suffering from sludge. Overall, X-Type is a great car and you can't beat the appeal or the prices for which you can buy them. I would recommend 2003 or newer, especially that the price difference does not seem to be significant. Good luck!
    I have just come back from a 1,000-mile long weekend in my X-Type. Overall, I was happy with the way my X performed, especially with four adults on board and the trunk packed to the rim, including two pairs of skis and poles. How did I fit them? Although the car does not have a "pass-through" (mine doesn't even fold 60/40), it has an arm rest for rear passengers. Once the arm rest is down, there is only thin fabric separating the passenger compartment from the trunk, once you remove the felt cover inside the trunk. Simple "operation" with scissors and I had a ski pass-through. The rear of the vehicle was sitting pretty low, which caused the headlights shine pretty high, so much so that some drivers used their high beams to let me know I was blinding them. I wish the car was equipped with headlight adjustment dial like most cars in Europe. With the car loaded up and going 75-80 mph, I averaged 25 mpg (2.5L 5 speed). Not great, but acceptable given the speed and load. I sure could have used a sixth gear as the engine definitely had the torque to handle it. Although it was only 35 F outside, I still had to run A/C to keep the windows from fogging. I was also happy that the engine did not burn any oil, which appears clean and clear after 3,000 miles since last change. I also had an opportunity to drive my X on a closed track. It easily and fairly quickly got to 125 mph (with four people on board), but wouldn't go any further. It must be limited because it still had the room in rpm to go faster. I was amazed at how smooth the car got at 125! It got quieter than at 70mph and very controllable.

So, overall good experience, but we could have used more interior space, especially rear legroom, the car still whines and howls at 55-75mph and now I am hearing this high-pitched noise described by others as similar to "finger on glass" for the first 300 yards of driving in cold weather.
  • bcamkbcamk Member Posts: 1
    Has anybody checked the fluid level in their transmission, or had it changed? What is the proceedure for checking it, there is no dipstick, should it be warm, cold, etc.?
  • scott53scott53 Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2002 with 31,000 miles on and drove to 36,900 miles (5,900 miles) before having a gearbox fault followed by complete auto transmission failure. (this problem described in 2003 forums). The dealership was willing to replace the transmission but the delay was going to be on the order of 4-6 weeks. I traded to a 2003 with manual and the dealer was pretty fair with me on the trade. Clearly I like the x type.. but will be watching the forums for similar tales of woe.
  • sbb1sbb1 Member Posts: 1
    Last August, I purchased an '02 X-type 3.0 with 47k miles. The more I drive it, the more I love it! The only problem I have had is condensation on inside windows now that it has gotten colder (Massachusetts). Taking to dealer next week to fix.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    The only problem I have had is condensation on inside windows now that it has gotten colder (Massachusetts). Taking to dealer next week to fix.

Have you tried running the A/C with the temp setting on warm? That'll dehumidify the air inside the vehicle and stop the condensation.
    I have just gotten off the phone with the service advisor at the dealership. I brought my X-Type in for a few smaller issues, but the most important one (again) was to try and fix the whining and groaning differential noise (fourth time). I rode in my car with the technician driving on the highway to let him hear the noise and make sure he knows what I am complaining about. Apparently, he was familiar with the issue and said that I was not the only owner complaining about the whine. However, supposedly Jaguar USA no longer authorizes dealers to replace differentials because in most cases the new differential makes even louder noise. Jaguar views it only as nuisance, so I have to pretty much live with it and accept it. If your Jag does not make the whining noise, you are lucky and should enjoy your quiet, luxurious machine, while I will be doomed to listen to the howls of my unfortunate X-Type. Seems to me that the days of a Jaguar taking space in my garage are counted. Too bad, because it is a nice looking car, but there is only so much whining one can bear. Besides, it is a 2004 Jaguar and not a 1984 Ford pickup. Whining drivetrain and the name of a luxury automobile should never be used in one sentence. Well, except Jaguar.
    Really sorry to hear of your whining differential problems axiomlover. I guess I have been very fortunate. My '02 had none of the problems most had and my '05 Sport has none either. (I'm looking for some wood to knock on) If you have the upgraded stereo you can always turn it up. Or better yet get XM or Sirius radio. I have Sirius now and just love it. Had a bracket installed in both cars so I can move it between cars. There are so many neat things on there that I probably wouldn't hear the diff. noise if it was there.

I know what you are thinking; but it is a Jaguar and I shouldn't have to put up with this crap and of course you are right!
  • nilejewelnilejewel Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone - I have a 2002 x-type and just had the transmission replaced (free of course) after a gear box fault message came up. Am wondering if many others have had this same problem - I guess I'm wondering if I made a mistake with this purchase. I love the car - would appreciate feedback. Also am wondering which type of gas to use. Both the salesman and the mechanic at the dealership said premium was unnecessary, but 'premium only' is posted right inside the gas door. What do you all use? Thanks so much.
    Welcome. I have always used Premium, but you will not damage the car by using regular gas. The engine has been tuned for premium gasoline, so it should run at its optimum temperature and performance on premium. As far as wondering whether you made a mistake? I am wondering myself.