Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Between the owners manual and the fuel filler door instruction, why were you confused and felt the need to ask the salesman for his advice and opinion about fuel?
  • toohumantoohuman Member Posts: 10
    While it has not happened to me...several other owners have had their warranty voided by NOT using the prescribed gasoline...one of them admitted he hadn't used premium all the time and the dealership said the gumming up of his engine was caused by that (not entirely likely) but he had to pay for the repairs out of pocket because of this admission. I would recommend either 1) only using premium, 2) alternating between the two, 3) using regular but adding a fuel adder/cleaner occassionally, or 4) using regular but NEVER admitting it to the dealer. If you choose #4, be prepared to fight if your car has problems and they try and blame you rather than fix the problem.

Good luck!
  • desertguydesertguy Member Posts: 730
    "...several other owners have had their warranty voided by NOT using the prescribed gasoline.."

Oh come on, get real. Anyone that would let a dealer tell them their warranty was void because of the gas they use is pretty guilible. I have been on Several Jaguar boards for over 4 years and I have NEVER heard that claim on any of them. My Jaguars had premium when I got them from the dealer and that was about the last tank they ever had. We have three grades where I live and I use the middle grade which is 89 octane. Cars have always run perfectly. If you want peak performance, perhaps 91+ octane would be better but I'm no longer a boy racer! It is a waste of money to put in higher octane than a car needs.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    I will respectfully disagree. If the manufacturer recommends premium, it is because the vehicle is tuned to perform best and return greater fuel economy on that grade of gasoline.

Using a lower grade in those cases usually results in a false economy. The vehicle's ECU will adjust the performance of the engine to accomodate the lower octane. But many times, that reduced performance is accompanied by reduced fuel economy. The savings in fuel purchases is offset by the lower economy. To top it off, you also get less performance.

However, the reverse is not the same. Using 91/93 in a vehicle designed to run on 87 usually will not produce increased performance or fuel economy.
  • nilejewelnilejewel Member Posts: 3
    Actually, my questions to the salesman and mechanic regarding the fuel type were during the 'research. stage' of the process. It wasn't until after I filled the car up the first time that I saw the posted sticker and realized I may have gotten some misinformation.
  • nilejewelnilejewel Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to all of you for your input, I have always used premium , also thinking that the difference in fuel price may be offset by reduced mileage - - but just wondered if there was some information out there I was unaware of.
  • oldengineeroldengineer Member Posts: 22
    I'd try calling JAG USA directly and discussing it with them. Hopefully they'll intercede for you, and, get your problem solved. I just went through this with a 05 Chrysler that was making horrible groaning noises. My dealer fooled around with the car for 3 months and couldn't fix it, and, stopped returning my calls. I called the factory, was set to a different dealer, and the car was fixed in 4 hours.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    Here's my experience with the proper gas to use: The day we picked up our 2006 X-Type, I asked the sale person if I must use the premium gas, she said (and she has been selling Jaguar, Mercedes, and Volvos for over 7 years) that all their cars receive the regular unleaded gas when sold. I found that a little hard to believe for the really high dollar rides, but took her word anyway and have just turned 4000 miles without any problems using the cheap stuff (I'm knocking on wood as I type this).
    I asked the sale person if I must use the premium gas, she said (and she has been selling Jaguar, Mercedes, and Volvos for over 7 years) that all their cars receive the regular unleaded gas when sold.

That's because they are paying for that tank of gas.

...and have just turned 4000 miles without any problems using the cheap stuff

Keep track of your gas mileage for a few weeks with regular and then switch to premium for a few weeks. You may be suprised at the results.

Personally I trust the manual more than the salesperson when it comes to fuel requirements.
  • axiomloveraxiomlover Member Posts: 216
    Thanks oldengineer, I will try calling Jag directly.
    I like the way my Toyota Highlander manual phrases it:

"Use a minimum of 87 research octane and for the best performance, use 91 or higher research octane."

That is with the 3.3 liter engine(Same as Lexus 330) and IMO a more advanced engine than in my 3.0 Jaguar. Now I don't need great performance to drive to the store or to work so I don't waste the money. On long trips (1500 miles) I have used premium particularly when traversing the mountains of Colorado and Utah.
    The main reason why we should use premium gas is to prevent "knocking" in the combustion chamber of our engines. The premium gasoline has stronger resistance to this undesirable chemical reaction where the fuel/air mixture burns so hot and breaks down so quickly that it may be damaging to your engine. Namely, it may literally burn a hole in the top of the piston (I have seen such engines) or may cause the valves to warp and seat incorrectly or you may damage the catalytic converter due to the exhaust gases being too hot. Of course, in today's engines, it would take a lot of running under load and on cheap gasoline to cause such serious damage, but it may happen. Most new engines have anti-knocking sensors, which adjust the fuel/air mixture to prevent knocking and that's why you will see worse fuel economy with regular gas in engines, which require premium. Have you ever heard usually older cars move quickly from green light? You will hear the distinctive knocking from the engine, which indicates this phenomena. Each engine has a different compression ratio and optimum running temperature, not to mention ignition timing and valve opening curvature. The cars that do not need premium gas usually run lower compression ratios and may not be very spirited. Bottom line is this: if the manufacturer recommends premium, stick with premium. Think about it, if you put 12K miles per year and average 20mpg, it will cost you only about $120 more for premium vs. lowest grade of gas. Well worth it for the piece of mind, better performance, not to mention better fuel economy.
  • sydney80sydney80 Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am new to the forum and thinking about purchasing a 2004-2005 x-type sport. Does anyone know if you can tell whether the car has the sport package and/or premium package by the vin #? Thanks in advance.
  • oldengineeroldengineer Member Posts: 22
    I suspect your Jag engine is a bit more sophisticated than the Toyota 3.3. First of all, The Jag 3.0 makes 227 HP, compared to the Toyota 3.3 at 215. Secondly, the Jag engine is very high compression. Jag's 3 liter V6 makes more HP than the current BMW 3 liter in the 325i. My X-Type with the 2.5 Liter runs best and delivers its best fuel economy with 93 octane gas. If I use 92 or ethanol blended premium, my gas mileage drops about 4 -5 mpg. My daughter has 2 Toyota SUVs with v8s - both run ok on regular, but, get a little better fuel economy on premium.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
    Oldengineer: I will have to disagree with you and I'm no mechanic but I think the Highlander V6 is the more sophisticated engine. Currently it has 230 HP but more importantly, 242 ft.pds of torque. It is also a VVT-i engine (variable valve timing with intelligence) The compression ratio is 10.7 which is high.

The cars are not comparable of course. I would much rather be driving my Jaguar. My point was the Toyota manual says 87 octane is OK but 91 or higher will get better performance. I suspect Jaguar could say the same if they wanted to.
  • sondovesondove Member Posts: 1
    I must say I am so very thrilled to finally have the opportunity to purchase a Jaguar. It's been a dream of mine since I was 18.

I purchased this car 'Certified' with just over 40,000 miles. I have spent the last two days, driving it in all different environments to become acquainted with it's tendencies. I have a few questions for those of you who are familiar with the '02 X-type. I appreciate all of your information and advice.

1. The steering column seems to make a humming/whining noise when turning hard to the either side. Is this a known issue with this model or something unique?

2. It's an automatic, but there is a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th gear indicator on the left side of the shifting plate. The salesperson wasn't sure if this allowed for speed shifting between these gears while moving or whether they were static gear selection. This may come across as confusing but hopefully some of you understand and can provide insight. I would hate to use these gears as a pseudo manual shifting while moving if it wasn't designed for this purpose and may cause unnecessary transmission wear/tear.

3. The stereo system console supports an embedded cellphone and CD Changer, neither of which were in the car when I purchased it. I have two basic questions. a> If I add the cell phone option can I use any cellphone service (i.e. Cingular, Spring, T-Mobil)? b> Can a 3rd party CD Changer be added in the trunk be supported by the Jaguar stereo system or must I Use Jaguar's CD changer?

I appreciate any help you can provide. I love the car, and I'm simply trying to better understand my alternatives for these issues.

Thank you,

Rich
  • edinburgh1edinburgh1 Member Posts: 2
    Well it is one way. The forward direction button is working, although not one touch functionality. The reverse isn't working at all, therefore to close the roof, I need to keep the forward direction depressed and guess when the sunroof is completely closed. I have a 2002 2.5 X-type.
    It all happened after I accidently turned off the ignition whilst the sunroof was closing. I turned the engine on again when I realised my mistake and I've had my problem since.

Is anyone aware of this problem and how to fix it?

Many thanks
    Try this procedure:

Issue: Sunroof Motor Synchronization - Calibration:
    Please note: The 2002 MY X-Type sunroof motor/module doesn't have timing marks
    or gears to be aligned. In the event that a roof motor is inoperative, or if the
    roof panel is not closing or opening properly, the following Initializations
    procedure must be performed.

Action: Press the switch to operate the roof panel to the fully tilt position.
    Release the switch. Press the switch again in the same direction, fully tilt and
    hold for 30 seconds or until the roof panel moves slightly. Release the switch
    and, within 5 seconds, press in the same direction and hold. The roof panel will
    travel automatically to the fully open position, then back to the fully closed
    position and then stop. Verify the operation of the anti-trap and one-touch
    features.

Worked for me.
    Rich: The shifter is known as a J-gate as you can see it is in the shape of the letter J which has been common to all auto Jags for many years. You can shift the car like a manual if you wish and many people do just for the fun of it.

As for the phone; from what I have read, the Jag phone was a timeport Motorola and was rather dated, expensive, and did not allow for the use of other phones using the car's wiring. As for the CD changer, Jaguar uses a fiber optics system that is practically impossible to use ad-ons with. And to make matters worse, both the factory phone and changer are very expensive. Check around as maybe a third party supplier has come up with something. Or maybe Ebay.
  • larryhart1larryhart1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum. I found a 2005 X with all the options and only a few thousand miles. Had to buy it, I finally own a Jag. I'd like to ask about a few 3rd party upgrades. The grill should look like a jag grill, wire mesh. Has anyone replaced the front grill and can you suggest a 3rd party. Also, I love the exhaust sound, but only above 3,500 RPM.
    Below that it's anemic. Has anyone upgraded to a true bolt on system that adds beautiful sound to a beautiful car?
    Thanks for your input, see you on the road in Seattle. - Go Hawks. PS - The Seattle/Bellevue dealership rocks.
  • edinburgh1edinburgh1 Member Posts: 2
    desertguy,

That worked perfectly.

Very many thanks, Much appreciated.
  • jimmy jjimmy j Member Posts: 3
    Hi axiomlover
    I have the same problem
    I havent done anything since I have always heard there is nothing to do. I heard there is a noise insulator somewhere to minimize the noise. Any advice?
    JJ
  • tinamarietinamarie Member Posts: 9
    Hope all of you are well, watching a Top Gear show on discovery channel the other night and saw a x type sportwagon and my husband and I are head over heels, beautiful, anyway I do not live anywhere near a dealership and was wondering if someone can answer this- Due to a track accident many moons ago, my left knee literally "locks up" when I am driving, I have to be able to extend my leg fully to unlock it. Is there enough room next to the brake pedal on the left side to be able to fully extend your leg? I am hoping this makes sense..... Thank You, Tina
    Discussion on another website turned to this so I thought I would ask it here. There has been some suggestions that Jaguar will unviel and new X-type in 2007. Does anyone have any confirmation on this?
    It has been strongly suggested that Jaguar will abandon the XType completely. How soon? I don't think even Bill Ford knows for sure.
    The X type will probably be discontinued when a new Mondeo is introduced.
  • jagwag1jagwag1 Member Posts: 1
    I find that I have plenty of room to stretch my legs on long trips in the location you mention. The "psuedo" dead pedal helps as well. I have found this to be the most comfortable car I have driven. (Ex Porsche, Caddy and Audi owner)
  • myjagsuksmyjagsuks Member Posts: 1
    Anyone considering buying an x-type...PLEASE READ on!!!!!

I purchased my 2004 x-type brand new from the dealer in March of 2004.....since
    then.....it has been in for service 14 TIMES!!!!!! Not only have I been shuttled
    between rental cars....when I receive my "car" back (I use the word car loosley
    b/c my mountain bike is more reliable) it is infact not fixed, but continues
    with its issues and dies repeatedly or as Jag puts it...goes into safe mode.
    good thing the car is out to stay safe, b/c on several instances, my safety was
    compromised. For any person considering purchasing a $30k near luxury auto,
    there are many other offerings from BMW to Lexus that would provide better
    reliablity and service. I also own a BMW 3-series so I know from experience.
    I hear you, it must be really frustrating. Honestly, my car has been pretty reliable, but I am still fighting for having my whinning drivetrain issue addressed. Many people have had their X-Type's propshaft replaced, but with mine, the dealer only applied some weights to it and called it a fix. I am pushing to have the propshaft replaced and I am meeting with the regional field tech.
  • ljp1ljp1 Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2002 X-Type - big difference from my 86 Volvo with 280,000 miles. I am noticing a whistle noise coming from the climate control fan when the fan is on speed bars 2-5 or auto. While it's not loud, it's enough to be noticeable and annoying. The service technician listened to it and said it is working as designed. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks,
  • likintheleaperlikintheleaper Member Posts: 4
    About a month ago, I purchased a new, 2005 leftover base X-type (MSRP $30,995). So far, I am really impressed with the car. I'm hoping for advice on a couple of issues:

-I paid $23,700 for the car, price included $6000 cash back for dealer marketing support. After doing online research after the fact (not the smartest time to do research, I know), I think I could have done much better on the price. Any thoughts?

-The clutch. Any of you driving the 5-speed know what I'm talking about. It is stiff, vague, a little unpredictable, not too smooth. Even though I am a highly experienced stick-shift driver, I've stalled, grinded, and rev-ved with this clutch. I've read some of you having the dealer adjust the clutch reporting good results. What should I say to the service department to get the maximum benefit from a clutch adjustment on this car?

Thanks. I've enjoyed reading back through the pages of this forum. Learned a lot.
    Welcome to the X-Type family!

- $23,700 is a good price. Could you have done better? Maybe, but there are so many variables that you should just let it be and enjoy the car.
    - The clutch never really gets that much better. As you put some miles on the car, the starts will be smoother as the clutch plates break-in, but it will remain stiff and vague. When I asked the dealer to check it out, they said it was working as designed, but greased the linkage (I think) and it seemed smoother afterwards. Shifts into 2nd are still the most challenging when it comes to smoothness, but you do get better at it. It is best driven hard when the shifts become more predictable and natural. Driving in stop and go traffic - pain in the neck. I compared the clutch stiffness in other cars and X-Type's is similar to that in a Mustang, GTO and Porsche. Then you have a number of cars with really soft and extremely easy to operate clutches such as Acura TL, BMW 3, Honda Accord.

Do you have any whinning from your drivetrain at highway speeds (70mph)? Is there whistling sound at 5th gear at exactly 50mph coming from engine (transmission) area? Those are my major issues for now.
  • likintheleaperlikintheleaper Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your feedback and warm welcome. I appreciate the advice to just enjoy the car at this point, which I am doing. I've read through much of these postings and respect you as a "regular" to this site.

I had a feeling the clutch was "working as designed", but I'll still ask the dealer to check it out. It's not horrible, and yes, much like that of a Mustang. And the majority of my clutch experience is with Japanese and German cars, so I guess that's what I am used to.

I do notice the whistle at EXACTLY 50mph in 5th. I'll mention that to the dealer as well, but it sounds like a common, unresolved issue for some here. AWD issue?

I've only had the car to 60mph so far but when I get it to 70, I will listen for any whining from the drivetrain and let you know.

Something strange happened to me today. I think it may be a general ABS issue and not one specifically related to the car. I had to make a quick stop at a traffic light where the road has several buckles one right after another a few feet apart. My ABS kicked in, the brake pedal got soft and it felt like the car was not going to stop, although it did. My theory is that tires were off the ground ever so slightly going over these bumps while I was braking and the ABS sensed this. It was an uncommon braking situation and attributed it to that. After that I tested the brakes and drove cautiously just in case. I did not experience any further problems.

I am loving the car more every day. I've always liked the design of the car and now that I own one, I realize there is so much more to it than just it's looks.
    You have nothing to worry about the breaking or ABS. I experienced the same situation while breaking on an even/bumpy road. The system gets confused because the wheel disconnects with the road in an unusual way.

The whistle at 50 at 5th gear may be related to the manual transmission because I drove three different rental X-Types (autos) and none of them had the whistling. Besides, the whistle occurs in 5th gear only, which confirms my theory. If you bring it up to the dealer they will either not hear it or tell you that all manual X-Types do that.

I am glad you are liking your new ride!
  • johnhechtjohnhecht Member Posts: 1
    I have an '03 X-Type. I too have had clutch problems. If you plan to do any type of urban driving then you should not get this car. Once it's in 5th gear, no problem. I'm on my 3'rd clutch in 2 years. The dealer covered the first clutch replacement but balked on the second. I've noticed even after the recent clutch replacement there is still a tell tale smell of a slightly burnt clutch. I'm not sure if that is a residue from the prior clutch or not. If anyone has experienced the same thing, please comment.
  • azuberazuber Member Posts: 2
    Greetings - my jag 02 X-type has a clicking sound coming from the j-gate every time I press and release my brake. I'm guessing that its some kind of safety latch that is malfunctioning? Anyone know a fix? Also - do all Jag dealerships stink at customer service?
  • azuberazuber Member Posts: 2
    Sorry for the late reply - have you already recieved a response to your question about the front grill?

If not, I just replaced mine last night. You can find the parts on www.jaguarxp.com You'll need some robust cutters to get through that from grate but it looks really good when finished.
    I had the clicking on my '02 as well. I think they called it the shift interlock solenoid or some such. The technician knew what it was right away so it must be common. It was not that my service was bad but it was 90 miles to the closest dealer so I had to plan my visits. Anyway, they ordered the part but never notified me it was in so I went at least 18 months with the clicking until I traded it in on an '05 XType Sport. Didn't seem to affect anything but a little annoying.
  • tom213tom213 Member Posts: 49
    I have a 2006 X-Type that came with the standard (6 speaker) sound system. Needless to say, it doesn't sound the best. I would like to upgrade to the Alpine system. Anyone know what that would all require? I presume all new speakers (replacing the existing 6) and adding 4 more, where they go is another question, and I presume there is an amplifier involved somewhere. OR, has anyone else done a different type of upgrade to their sound system that might be better??
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • vfr_cruzevfr_cruze Member Posts: 1
    Just want to get some input from owners. This car has 25000 miles on it. What can I expect from this car?
  • jimmy jjimmy j Member Posts: 3
    To everyone!!!
    I put an octane booster and the humming noise at 30 and 60-70 mph was gone. I do not know if it will return but I will put 91 octane gas and see what happens. If there is any other info on cause of noise let me know.
    JJ
  • notaseekernotaseeker Member Posts: 3
    Hey, I just purchased a 2002 X-Type Sport but unfortunately did not get a manual with it and would like to know if anybody knows how to program the garage door opener and also what the second pull out setting on the headlight switch is for, I get an orange fog light display on the dash but have noticed no difference when the switch is out.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated.
  • oldcemoldcem Member Posts: 309
    The second pull on the headlight switch is for the rear fog lights.

Regards:
    Oldengineer
    thanks for the responce, you wouldn't happen to know how to program the garage door opener would you??
    Get an owners manual from the dealer, 1-800-JAGUAR. Also, Ebay has some: http://motors.search.ebay.com/Jaguar-owners-manual_W0QQfromZR40 One is $19.00. The Home Link programing is 2 pages and depends on if your garage door opener is rolling code or not. Way too much to put on here. Wait til you want to set the clock! You need a manual.
    yeah, thanks I just ordered the manual from ebay, I gotta wait till it comes in to understand all the features

Thanks again
    Rather than buying a manual, you can simply go to the Jaguar Owners' site that has the entire manual listing in pdf.

Go here:

http://www.ownerinfo.jaguar.com/extfree2viewjagprod/index.jsp
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    I haven't been keeping track of what are reasonable deals for an x-type and now may have to deal very quickly. Has anyone been keeping tabs on this?
  • postoakpostoak Member Posts: 537
    We test drove an x-type and really liked it. But then I noticed you only get xenon lights (which I always want on any car I will be driving) with the sport package. My wife wouldn't enjoy the sport package so that eliminated the Jaguar. We wound up buying a Hyundai Azera. This doesn't have xenons either, but I won't be tempted to drive it, anyway. ;)