Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Chuckling as I look over the current issue of Motor Trend. Big comparison test of "Affordable Luxury Sedans". Their X-type 3.0 automatic ends up with a $43,695 window sticker, though the article and and ad in the issue tout the "under $30,000" base price. The most expensive car in the test. Will be interesting to see if Jag builds even a single X-type 2.5 manual with absolutely no options and with that mythical sub-$30,000 sticker. Only X-type I've seen on an actual dealer's lot also had a $43,500 sticker. November issue of Consumer Reports tests Jag S-type 3.0. Started from a $43,655 base and ended up with a with-options price of $47,450. Interesting how close the X-type price can be to the supposedly much more expensive S-type.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    That was decked out with the performance package and some luxury package. MT totally misrepresented the X-type and that's a shame. It's a superior car to all those mentioned in that article.

And no, I don't own one. Just appreciate it. I'm more of a BMW kinda person. :)
  • djnmandjnman Member Posts: 4
    "Carnaught" in your posting you stated that you had chromes installed. What is that in reference too?? I too purchased a 3.0 in adriatic blue/sand interior. The car is really sharp and is a sweet ride. I love the xenon lights as they are really bright. I do think the stereo is lacking in performance.
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    if you check the new inventories at many dealers listed through the jaguar.com website, you'll see many x-types for $30,595 (base msrp including destination charge). they even have the vin listed so you know it's a real car!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Motor Trend misrepresenting?

Surely you jest! ;)

Bill
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    Dove gray leather with the Adriatic blue. Do you have the premium sound system because I think it sounds quite good? I chose not to get the xenons, as I don't do any country driving, for the most part, and $600 for this was too steep, IMO. I chose to spend extra $ on an appearnce item, chrome wheels ("chromes").
    just found out that you cannot get the in-dash cd with premium sound. it's an either/or situation. they seem to do their best to frustrate customers.
  • fpereirafpereira Member Posts: 42
    The following web site has a complete scanned-in (UK) brochure for the X-type, as well as a magazine (which? not sure) preview and review of the car. Preview gives some good info on the chassis and Traction 4 system. Brochure has nice piccies...

http://www.jag-lovers.com/xtype.html

-Mike

• sargonivsargoniv Member Posts: 23
    Does anyone have a link to an oil filter cross reference list for this engine.
  • rayh3rayh3 Member Posts: 38
    Our Jaguar store opened about 2 weeks ago. The base model X-Types were the 1st to go. We were allocated 1 5-speed and 3 autos initially. None of them lasted a week. The popular car seems to be the 2.5 auto with x1 premium, prem sound, (36k or so). My personal favorite is the British Racing Green with Ivory interior. Unfortunately I'm down to 5 X-types for the weekend....urrrrgghh. It does look like the in dash cd will be here shortly, but not with the premium sound package.
    Sargoniv...your maintenance is included for the 1st 4 years....don't have to worry about the filter for a while.
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    compared to the trunk mounted CD stacker IMO, is NOT as good. I've had cars with both trunk and dash mounted and prefer the trunk as the cd's are not changed while you're driving, and for-that- matter, are not changed in the car, but rather in the house. The trunk cartridge loads just as easily and is quiet. The dash mounted units are usually very noisey when "flipping" through and switching cd's for listening.
  • sargonivsargoniv Member Posts: 23
    Yes, I know about the service, but I want to switch to Synthetic now that I have enough miles on it. Dealer has agreed to use my oil for the scheduled 10,000 mile service points.
    Stopped by local Jag dealer again. Last time he had 1 X-type ($42,500). This time he had 4 X-types. The BRG from the first time plus 3 others. All were loaded 3.0s. Two at $42,500 and the other two at $43,400. Dealer still has no brochures. I wonder if this dealer will ever have an X-type for less than $36,000.

Both wife and I were disappointed in the interior appointments. Already one of the ashtray drawers wasn't functioning. The armrest/console seemed straight out of a Taurus. The sunroof materials seemed flimsy. Way too much cheap plastic. Shifter was wobbly in the slot. We both agreed someone would be foolish to pay nearly $43,000 for a car that seemed like its interior was in the upper $20,000 range. The dealer also had about a dozen S-types. The interiors were much nicer. The prices of the 3.0 S-types were in the $46,000-48,000 range. While the trunk of the X-type is much bigger, the rear is cramped and the S-type just looked and felt more like a Jag. (Was surprised to see in the brochure the S-type 3.0 and 4.0 both ride on H-rated tires and are speed limited to 130 mph.)

We also looked at Lexus IS300 and ES300. The $36,000 ES300's interior puts the X-type to shame. Talk about gorgeous look and feel. Think it is as nice as the Audi A6. IS300 too boy racer with a very utilitarian and rather pedestrian interior.
    The ES3000 can't do something the 2.5 Jag can do: perform. The ES300, while a supple car, is a Camry with nice leather. Push a Jag with a 5 speed and performance package and you're in BMW eating territory. BTW, my test drive Jag was 35k 2.5 with the luxury and performance packages. Nice, nice car. Save for one major problem with its usability, I'd love one.
    Also looked at ES300s over weekend and grabbed a brochure. Thought it interesting that the ES300 comes standard with V-rated tires. The brochure says it has a top speed of 140 mph. Surprised me to see the top speed of S-type at only 130 mph and all use H-rated tires. Jag dealer had no X-type brochures and I forgot to look closely at the tires. Don't know top speeds of X-types, 2.5L & 3.0L and Sport & non-Sport.

If the interior fit, finish, feel, look, etc. of a $43,400 X-type doesn't seem to wife or I to be in same league as "lowly"ES300, don't see how the less expensive 2.5L X-type, esp. a close to $30,000 one, would make a better impression. The interior is just too Ford parts bin/Ford Europe Mondeo! Too bad.
    Then the X-type's true attributes won't appeal to you. It's not some luxo-blvd-cruiser like an ES300. It's a sports-luxury sedan, not a luxury sedan. If you want to meander down a the Blvd, then go for the ES300. If want to a pin you to the seat, grab-on-to-the-handle ride, then go for the sublime handling found in an X-type. Two very differenct approaches to cars.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Interesting that the X-type's interior is being called "Ford parts-bin". That's exactly what they said about the S-type when it first came out. There were even comparisons to a Taurus. But now I hear folks raving about the S-type interior and how great it is. I think the known Mondeo linkage will prejudice folks at first but that tends to go away in time.
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    do you guys know that over 20% of the camrys parts are on a es, ans over 40% are on the RX, also mondeo is a great handling car, and i dont even think the ride on the es is that great, i think a avalon is much btter.....also the top sped on jags or electronically limited, for certain govt reasons that i dont know of..
    Only full comparison test I've seen is in the latest issue of Motor Trend. Against Infiniti I-35, Lexus ES300, MB C320, & Volvo S60 2.4T. They tested a $43,695 MSRP 3.0 automatic. One of their what's NOT hot is downscale interior materials. I concur. Not worthy of a $45,000 Jag. Maybe a $30,000 European Ford Mondeo. The performance figures seem pretty ordinary. Second slowest 0-60 time, at 7.9 seconds, and second slowest 1/4 mile time, at 15.9 seconds (88.8 mph). Worst braking distance (60-0 mph), at 132 ft. Second worst slalom speed, at 61.3 mph. And the engine turned over at 2,500 RPMs at 60 mph, the highest of the group. Not to mention it had the worst EPA rating of 18/25. Not sure it offers either luxury or performance. Will be interesting to see more published test reports and comparisons. Until then, guess I can keep waiting for local Jag dealer to ever get one with a sticker even under $35,000.
  • t0st0s Member Posts: 3
    The MT numbers were a little surprising considering Road&Track's 6.5 sec for the manual (and European car mag's too). Either the car was a dud or the Auto/4WD does not make for a quick launch under brake-torquing. I have driven some of those cars in the test. The Lexus was horrible from a real-world performance standpoint. Can you say "torque steer"? Clearly if one is looking for an appliance it will work very well, but I don't think we can say sport and Lexus in the same sentence ;)
    I'm not trying to defend the "lowly" ES300. But read the MT test report and it came off rather well. MT testers had lots of good things to say about its handling and ride. They like the Adaptive Variable Suspension. Described the Sport setting as taut and controlled handling for "spirited driving". One reviewer wrote "tasty to touch and drive". ES300 does come with V-rated tires and a 140 mph top speed. Not too shabby. Don't forget, these reviewers ended up loving the Volvo S60 2.4T!!! The much more powerful I-35 was criticized for its torque steer. But that is due to "too much" power. Would you rather it have the ES300's 210 HP instead of its 255 HP?
    tires on the sport are 225/45 Z. top speed limited to 130 mph (146 mph in europe)
    Having driven both...

If you like the ES300 better... buy it! I drove an 02 ES and have driven the X type...

There is a tremendous performance difference! The ES, to me, felt like every other dull-as-heck ES.

Bill
  • bmms8bmms8 Member Posts: 86
    what had better wind noise and road noise?????????
  • t0st0s Member Posts: 3
    SO, after much consideration, test drives and enduring naysayers I have a 3.0 that I love. So, now I say to all. YES this sedan is NOISY (like a sports car), has a CHEAP plastic console (now covered by after market wood trim - puts most interiors to shame), EXPENSIVE (a Camry is much cheaper), UNRELIABLE (no probs for 3 mos - feels as solid as a Merc), is a FORD (show me a prettier car in this range)......etc, etc. Don't buy one - I don't want to see any others on the road ;)
    The Camry is quieter.

But so is a Honda Odyssey :)
    Hmmm, I must have driven a lemon 02 Camry SE because it had a tremendous amount of road noise and body flex. Every bump transmitted into the car with a groan from the metal. In the same area I pushed an X-Type far harder and didn't hear a peep. God that suspension is nice!
  • rea98drea98d Member Posts: 982
    maybe because they don't run!

I think there's more to a car than road noise, and Jaguars offer a pretty good package of performance and comfort. Of course no car is perfect, and the X-Type will have its flaws. Still, a Jaguar would be near the top of my list if money were no object. (Now if we could only get an XJR at X-Type prices!)

Personally, I like to hear my engine/transmission/tires make all their noises. More than once I've found a problem on my car because something didn't sound right in the cockpit.

Aside from that, if the car's too quiet it puts me to sleep.
    Looked over two issues of Jaguar Magazine. Picked up issues 02, summer 01, and 03, fall 01, which I got at the local Jag dealer. Nice magazines. About 84 pages, full color, heavy glossy paper. But the articles and pictures are odd. Alternates between Cosmo/Maxim (somewhat scantily clad models and celebs, e.g., Janet Jackson with bare midriff on stage), In Style/Ocean Drive (e.g., fashions & profiles of trendy people) and Road & Track (stories about past and current Jags). Seems like kind of an odd demographic. Not sure who it is targeted to. Having Janet Jackson push Jags surprised me!
    I delivered the X-type to the winners of the Janet Jackson contest........thats another story for later when I have more time.
    So Rhythm Nation meets English foxhunting crowd? Please give us details some day!
    I mean she has a pad in Rancho Santa Fe (San Diego suburb) and I'm right here in SD. Please? :)
    Mrs. contest winner came in to do the paperwork (won a 2 year free lease on an X-Type). She was very excited and happy as you would expect if you won an free car for two years. We schedule a delivery for later that evening when her husband can come in and sign his side of the paperwork. He comes in and is the polar opposite of Mrs. winner. He is grumpy and grumbling throught the whole transaction. One of the problems was that they did have to pay $1400 ( they knew this from the start and were expecting the charge) since the contest like every contest did not cover tax/license/doc/etc. He signs the paperwork with my really cool Jaguar pen. After the paperwork is completed I proceed to deliver and explain the features of the car. Mr. is rushing so I cut it short and prepare to send them on their way. I explain about the survey they will receive and ask if there is anything they feel they could not rate as excellent. Now Mr. winner essentially states I need to give him a Jaguar pen if I want to get a good survey response from them (did I mention this is a contest car.....no commission for me).

I guess some people are just miserable.....I think I will survive one bad survey, I can't bring myself to buy a survey response even if it's only a lousy $25 pen.

Oh, I forgot to mention that the contest was for a base model 2.5 with manual trans. Since there are NO base 5-speed X-Types around. We upgraded them to a car with prem package, premium sound, Xenon headlights, automatic transmission, and weather package for FREE.

Wish me luck folks, last weekend of the month starts tomorrow and I need 3 more to hit the nice bonus!

ps.
    blueguydotcom if Janet Jackson shows, I'll let her know you're expecting her.
  • bwmbwm Member Posts: 11
    Hi Ray;
    How are X-Type sales going at your dealer? Have you sold out all of your stock and are into orders or do you have cars available?
    X-Type sales have been going real strong. Our store just opened this month and we were allocated 12 X-types. We were down to 2 this morning, but a load of 6 more showed up.....most should be gone before the weekend is up, although I do have my eye on one for myself. The Plat 3.0 5-sp with nav that showed up, if I can only convince the wife :)
  • bwmbwm Member Posts: 11
    If it is ok for you to answer this; What part of the country are you located in? It seems like there are such conflicting reports as to how the X-Type is selling when you read these boards. Many messages seem to state that the dealers are stocked and the cars aren't moving that well but then I go into my dealer and he says they are selling great and there is almost no negotiating on price. Maybe it depends on where you are?
    (You don't suppose my dealer is just telling me that as a negotiating ploy do you ? Just kidding)
    From what I know...

3.0s arent all that tough to get.

2.5s are nearly impossible right now.

Bill
    Brentwood hit in right on the head. The hardest car to get is a base model 2.5. Our store is located in San Juan Capistrano, CA and we are doing well with both 3.0 and 2.5. Unfortunately a lot of people saw the initial advertising by Jaguar for the base car so everyone wants the 2.5 with no options. Hope this helps.
    All X-types are 5-speed. I know you meant manual, but with the advent of 5 and even 6 speed automatics you can't use 5 or 6 speed to mean manual anymore.
  • carsk1carsk1 Member Posts: 2
    just leased 6 days ago a 3.0 auto with x1 pkg carnival /ivory in non sport mode .
    the clincher was the lease deal. the dealer took a grand off the msrp and jag credit made the lease the same as a 2.5 with auto and x1 . i have a question for any dealer folks out there or anyone else who can help me . even though i test drove the car for 20 miles i am having avery hard time getting comfortable driving this car . i have tried separate ergonomic pads,every possible adjustment to the seat etc. my right leg gets sore and/or numb .any suggestions? can the dealer make the seat tilt further back then normal specs ?
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Is the 2.5 automatic or stick selling the best? If it is the manual, wouldn't this be a big surprise to the marketing people? Weren't they anticipating about 10% manuals in the USA?

Perhaps some of you have some knowledge on this you can share.
    I doubt if the dealer can make any further adjustments. You may need to wait 2 or 3 weeks for your body to adjust, especially if you went from a different type of vehicle. I went from a Ford Ranger to a Lincoln LS and I could not get comfortable at all for the first two weeks and it really worried me. After a couple of weeks it magically changed and became the most comfortable seats I have ever used. Check another vehicle and make sure that yours isn't defective - maybe the seat is misaligned or not tilting properly.
  • carsk1carsk1 Member Posts: 2
    AKIRBY THANKS FOR THE ADVICE. I WILL TRY TO GET COMFORTABLE. I AM ALSO WAITING FOR SOME FEEDBACK FROM THE SERVICE DEPT OF MY DEALERSHIP . TOO BAD THE THE X TYPE DOESEN'T USE THE SEATS FROM THE S TYPE .THE HORIZONTAL SEAT ARTICULATES INDEPENDENTLY FROM THE BACK. MY PERFECT WORLD MIGHT BE TO HAVE THE FRONT OF THE SEAT GO UP ANOTHER INCH OR SO THAN IT DOES AT PRESENT.AT LEAST THE REST OF THE CAR IS A VERY SWEET RIDE . MY BROTHER LIKES IT AS MUCH AS HIS 328 SEDAN.
    You're right I should say manual, not 5-speed. I guess it's just force of habit. Carjim, the ratio of manual to auto seems right. The only car that should be in greater abundance was the 2.5 auto with no options. It seems everyone wants that car.
  • cayennered1cayennered1 Member Posts: 193
    I agree that the 2.5 Auto. base model should me the most popular particularly among entry level buyers. I'm in the market in November, 2002 and looking to keep within a budget. Am very happy with the 99 Mitsubishi Galant V6 I'm leasing now. Fast and comfortable. If I were to upgrade to the X-Type I'd be looking at 2.5 auto with a CD player installation and metallic paint. That's about it. Going beyond that and these cars start getting too expensive (mid 30's plus).

Other car in this catagory that interests me is the upcoming Infiniti G35. Should come in around the $30000 area. Very stylish, roomy (111.0 inch wheelbase-182.0 inch length), 255hp.

If money's tight next year than I may look at the new Mazda 6 coming out next fall. Looked at the Volvo S60 yesterday and I feel that the car with decent eqipment is totally overpriced at the mid-30's. Quality of the leather interior was poor. A Jag at the same money is twice the car.
  • wtm2wtm2 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know if there are any "R" style wheel packages offered for the X-type? I've seen the S-type w/ the 18" Monaco wheels & they look outstanding! Wondering if these would fit the X type...
    Maybe Jag could have a contest. First real person to actually find a base 2.5 X-type with no options on a real dealer's lot gets it for free? Half price?
  • fpereirafpereira Member Posts: 42
    I second that!

So there's actually real demand for a 2.5 X-type with no sunroof? Brentwood, this can't really be true can it? :-)

Do any of the Jag sales folks care to talk about the AWD system used on the X-type? How does it compare to Audi's quattro system?