Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jaguar X-Type

Comments

• im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    A-Plan on a Jaguar is Invoice, less Holdback, less any applicable incentives (Dealer or customer) that are in effect at the time.

X-Plan is 104% of A-Plan.

Pricing is a touch different on Jags, Range/Land-Rovers, Volvos..than Ford/Lincoln/Mercury products. Any FoMoCo product, except an Aston-Martin, is purchaseable under the A-Plan. However it is up to the dealer's discretion to do the deal or not.

Some cars, such as T-Birds, Jaguar XKRs, etc.. generally cant be bought under the A-Plan as it makes zero business sense to do so.

Holdback.. When I was with Jaguar it was 2%. There's also lots of other programs on them, but I'm not sure what it is now. I know the margins on them are a bit lower now, but I think they have more bonuses based on CSI and AOR (Area Of Responsibility.. Selling in your territory and not giving cars away to people outside your territory, Jaguar frowns upon that in a big way) Sort of a moot point though.. I spent 4 years selling Jaguars and only saw one EVER sell into Holdback. So, the chances of buying on into it I'd say are probably quite slim.

And that was a Demo 1997 XJ6 without traction (This was in NJ) in like mid-January 1998.
    The $2,100 is a dealer incentive, NOT a rebate on X1 Equipped 3.0 X-Types.
    Bill
  • jflickjflick Member Posts: 5
    I am of the mind that of course a dealer must make a profit, (and the better dealers don't provide great service for free - they must be paid), I just like to know all details going into a deal so I do not have to ever wonder afterwards!
    <;
    Glad to help! But.. it all depends where you are and what you want.

Right now, a good deal on a base 2.5 is pretty close to MSRP.

An X1 3.0 can be had for about invoice (A la the 2100 trunk money).

Bill
  • carjimcarjim Member Posts: 155
    Someone told me that Ford has a Plan B and that he is eligible. It also includes the Premier group, he said. Would a reader be so kind as to spell out what you get on the B plan? Thanks.
    Maybe you mean the Ford X-Plan?

That's 104% of A-Plan price. Technically it's for Ford Suppliers..etc..

But members of the Experimental Aircraft Association (www.eaa.org) are also eligible to a degree.

I know that eaa members (Last time I checked) are only eligible for Volvos and Jaguar S-Types. I'd imagine that you can become eligible for X-Types as well, but I dont think XK or XJs are available under eaa's program.

Bill
  • denkdenk Member Posts: 75
    Would you please clarify "a la the 2100 trunk money". Thanks.
  • kssodkssod Member Posts: 37
    A plan price is for ford salaried employees or their blood relatives. The A plan price is invoice price. Go to edmunds new car and you can calculate the A plan price, simply by adding up the invoice prices. My x type(3.0 x1,x2,x3,alpine,xenons) stickered for 44120.00, and purchase price under A plan was 39321.00 then an additional 2100 was taken off for the 3.0 with x1 discount. Overall a very sweet deal.
  • orkinporkinp Member Posts: 15
    Hi: My Jag X-type 3.0 has about 500 miles on it. It suddenly stalled out in the middle of traffic. On restart, the computer indicated most systems (gearbox etc.) have failed,and engine barely idled...very high at abt. 1200 rpm. On another restart, everything went back to normal, the engine light eventually went out. Anyone else have a situation like this? Thanks, Peter
  • facultyfaculty Member Posts: 8
    At about 200 kms, the "check transmission" light came on but did not affect performance. This happened on two separate occasions. The first time I "solved" the problem by immediately re-starting the engine. The second time, a quick re-start did not do the trick, but a short drive/re-start did. This was reported to the dealer, who inspected the vehicle but found no obvious problem. After 2,800 kilometers, this issue has not resurfaced.
    Trunk $$=Dealer incentive. The $2,100 is not a rebate guys.. dealer cash..

Bill
  • autolover2autolover2 Member Posts: 4
    I heard there will be a super charged model coming out that will run with the m3. What has anyone heard about this?
  • kdsxkr100kdsxkr100 Member Posts: 1
    Autolover2, the vehicle you probably heard about is Jaguars 2003 S-type R/Sport which is aimed at the BMW M5. The current 2002 sport has the interior/exterior/suspension upgrades, but the R/Sport will carry the new Jaguar 425hp 4.2L V8 and will best the XJR for 0-60 bragging rights.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I don't think anything has been announced yet but it's a safe bet that the X-type will eventually get a SC model (or R model in Jag jargon), probably 3 years down the road. The SC S-type is due out next year but unless they change the suspension it won't be hunting down any M5s, and the price won't be any cheaper either. Now if they put the SC on the Lincoln LS with 18" wheels with a few other tweaks it might have a shot - for $10K less than the BMW.
  • pellegjopellegjo Member Posts: 18
    KKSOD,

your dealer let you get the 2100 off in a x2 (sport package)
    my dealer said its only for x1 prem pack with the 3.0 only, no sports allowed.

i wonder if he is lieing?
    do you know when the 2100 dealer cash expires?
  • icdchessicdchess Member Posts: 83
    My wife had a GS 300 that did that, and they replaced the computer chip. My S-Type has never done that, and on the Jagtalk.com board ( http://www.Jagtalk.com ) there has never been any mention of that problem and there are several dozen X-Type owners there.

Steve
  • kiiwiikiiwii Member Posts: 318
    Got a chance to testdrive a 3.0 two wks ago. I shiftted to "4" while the car was going aroung 20-30 mhp... then the orange light came on and said "Gearbox Fault." I pulled over and restarted the car. The same message was still there. Do you guys think that it was a computer problem... or I broke the transmission? =P
  • dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    That's not your fault. It's a problem with the car.

dave
  • rayh3rayh3 Member Posts: 38
    The incentive if for ANY 3.0 X-Type with the X1 premium package, irregardless of other options. It is important to remember that the 2100 is Dealer Cash not a consumer rebate, on a limited production sport package car the dealer may not be willing to give up any of it and since it is his money he is not required to. What part of the country do you live in? email me if you have any questions.
    thanks for the information
    i live on the east coast.
    i think its more the dealer doesent want to sell under A-plan a car thats in short supply
    do you know when the incentive expires? is it 1/2/02 like the special lease?

thanks
  • jonty12jonty12 Member Posts: 101
    Ford has changed the x-plan for jaguar this year. there is no longer an "x-plan" there is now a "jaguar preferred" program offering cash back. the following is directly from the fordpartner.com site that was recently updated to give details:

"
    Jaguar does not have an X-Plan pricing program. Jaguar customers negotiate their
    purchase price with the dealer and are eligible for a customer cash allowance
    that varies by model. This customer cash allowance can be used to reduce the
    purchase price of the vehicle or the customer can elect to receive this
    allowance in the form of a check. All 2002 model year Jaguars are eligible for
    the Jaguar Preferred Program.

The following cash allowance will be applied to your agreed upon vehicle price:

Eligible Vehicles 2002 MY Customer Cash Allowance
    X-TYPE $500
    S-TYPE $500
    XJ8 / XJ Sport $1,000
    Vanden Plas $1,500
    Super V8 $1,500
    XJR $1,500
    XK8 / XKR $1,500
    "
  • rayh3rayh3 Member Posts: 38
    Looks like it expires at the end of the month, but don't be surprised if it gets extended. I'll let you all know as soon as I hear. Too bad you don't live here in sunny Southern California. I have tons of cars going out under A/X/Z plans since we are so close to corporate.
  • mvargo1mvargo1 Member Posts: 298
    The 3.0L incentive will probably be gone by next year as Jaguar shifts production from 50/50 2.5/3.0 to 70/30 2.5/3.0
    Please read #659. My car went back to the dealer, who could not find anything wrong. The computer keeps a log, but the ID's pointed to no particular area, I was told. On my way home from work, in the middle of an intersection with cars coming at me at high speed, the computer lights went on again, and the car slowed to 5 mph-gas or no gas pedal! I was nearly killed! Can you people really discuss "discounts" to purchase this car? I am very frustrated, and scared to drive this car again. This is my first, and my last Jaguar. Yes, the engine is great, handling etc., but not if you die in it.
    Thanks,
    Peter
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ...after over two months of ownership has been nothing but pleasure. There have been no malfunctions and the car is as tight as I got it with no squeaks or rattles. Moreover, it remains fun to drive.

Carnaught

(2002 Adriatic blue 3.0)
  • nycanyca Member Posts: 232
    Call NHTSA. The dealer and Jag/Ford will get very nervous if you bring them in. Push them for a new car, just let then take this one off your hands.
  • facultyfaculty Member Posts: 8
    I don't blame you for being nervous about that particular car, that sort of failure could have catastrophic consequences, but on the sites I've been visiting, the articles I've read and my own personal experiences, there has been no indication of power loss by other Jag owners.
    NYCA offered some very good advice, push Jag for a replacement car, or ask for a refund. Whether those opportunities are available to you in the States and whether you dealer will cooperate may be a different matter. Good Luck!
  • skibum4nowskibum4now Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an X-type 2.5 with automatic, and the car makes a high pitched noise like a tuning fork at certain speeds. It seems to happen at about 35 and 70 mph. Other than that, I really like the car.
    Has anyone else encountered this type of problem???
  • hikerstevehikersteve Member Posts: 7
    I'm getting an X-Type 3.0 Sport (17 inch wheels) and am curious as to what owners of that model have found to be the optimum front and rear tire pressures.
    where is it coming from? driver's side? front? Is it loud or subtle?
    your right i wish i was closer to you

im only 20 miles from the NJ jaguar headquarters here in north jersey. the EX president used to live about 5 miles from me.

i hope they extend the 2100 deal, and the local dealers start giving it to A-plan customers.
    i really want the 3.0 but i have a problem paying an extra 4 grand,. the 2100 would cut that in 1/2.
    i plan to order a car in the next couple of weeks, since i want specific color, and options.
    Try talking to Paul DeBlois at Montclair Jaguar. Nice guy.

Bill
    thanks for the information

is paul a salesman???
    Yeah.

But very nontypical. Nice guy, knows his stuff, straight shooter. Guy retired from being an executive for years.. Not the typical salesman.

Bill
    Shoot me a call..

Eyeballed something at Central FL AA today that's in the cyberlot. 3,911 miles, Platinum/Ivory.. 3.0.. Loaded..etc.. MSO car so available to you franchise boys.

Worth a look!

Bill
  • hikerstevehikersteve Member Posts: 7
    Does the 3.0 X-Type Sport run OK on regular gas or is a higher octane needed?
    well i finally found my X-type sport, i called every dealer within 200 miles and found one in CT. Adrdaic blue, 3.0 sport, x1,x2,x3,Prem sound. when they gave me the A-plan price, they included 300.00 Advertising charge for the region. is this soposed to be passed along to A-plan customers? also does anyone know about any special leasing plan for A-plan? Im picking up the car next week.
    when you got your aplan price did the dealer show you that nunber somwhere, or did he just quote it to you? factoring out that i didnt get the Xeons, my price is 300.00 higher than yours.
    Good deal sounds like!

A-Plan pricing is fixed. If there's a regional advertising charge, its reflected in the A=Plan price.

Bill
    i havent seen the invoice yet, since the dealer is up in CT. everything has been over the phone. is the Aplan price on the invoice do you know. on the Aplan rules website it says that its not showen for jaguar.
  • alok2alok2 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a X type 2.5 sport with auto. On the way home from the dealership on the first day, it stalled on the highway at 60mph. I barely got out alive after changing 5 lanes. Called the dealer form my cell, was told, 'these cars have computer problems all the time, re start the car and go home'. The car stalled 4 more times that day even at speeds of 10mph. The accelerator pedal would go dead and all the lights would come on. Next morning after many frantic calls to the dealership, it was finally towed and after spending 4 hours on the car they 'accidentally' discovered a loose wire causing the problems. Now it has been 2 days and running fine as yet. God knows what will happen next. Should I bring the NHTSA in?
    ...is both shocking and unacceptable. Yes, you ought to report the casual and arrogant attitude you got from the dealer.
    to pellegio,
    it sounds like a copy of mine. the sticker on mine was 44120.00 I had to pay an additional 633.00 shipping from maryland to cleveland. My A plan price 37854.00 including the 633.00 shipping and 2100 dealer incentive. So the straight up A-plan price would have been 39321.00. The dealer showed me a price list of invoice and MSRP for the options, I think these numbers are available at kelly blue book.
    The car is very sweet, with a great engine sound and a great stereo. The clutch is stiff, not like my old GSR, more like my brother's C5, but even that is a little easier. I've got 900+ miles and no glitches at all. There is a little buz from around the homelink plastic. The sport interior would look sharper if the speakers had the chrome bezel and there were wood inserts in the door like the standard, but overall a pretty impressive ride
    did the dealer actually show you the A-plan price somewhere, such as on the invoice?
    i have the A-plan price from the APLAN web site, but over the phone the dealer gave me a number 300.00 higher. when i run your options against the web site, i can tie into the price you paid. my MSRP was 43,445 my car is the same as yours except i didn't get the xeons and automatic. so my price was 38,775 but the dealer gave me 39,175 then less the 2100 for a price of 36954.
    i haven't seen the car yet, im going Monday to see it. its about 90 mins away, so im just going to purchase it at the out of state dealer. i am going to challenge the dealer about the 300.00 he says its a advertising charge, but thats soposed to be in the price already.

you talked about wood on the doors, you know you can get wood more wood that matches the original color?
    www.woodash.com
    www.woodtrim.com
    there under 300.00

what kind of gas mileage have you been getting so far?
    I was ginen an option list that showed invoice and MSRP, but I never saw an actual dealer invoice sheet. I don't know about your extra 300, but I do know that the dealers do not mess with A-planners, since it is Ford perk and they don't want to mess with losing there profit paid directly by Ford. The $2100 dealer incentive is mandatory for A planners
    I'm getting around 20-22 mpg mostly highway with lots of 75-85 driving, I've also got the manual not auto
    thanks for the info!!

i will find out tommrow for sure when i see the dealer face to face.
    im not sure they do alot of a-plan
    there trying to charge me DOC fees, whis is a NO NO in A-Plan

i have donet a few A_plans with a ford, But never a Jag, with a ford the A-Plan price is right on the invoice for the car...... in a special box
    #690- Please read my experiences: very similar to yours: #658!!!! My car is presently back at the dealer, this is the 2nd time. I have 800 mi on the car, 300 of it has been from the dealer. It seems we now have 2 cars that repeat the same problem. Please keep in touch!!! Anyone else had any "near death" experiences in their wonderful Jag X?????
    have either of you called the 18004jaguar number to make a case file, and discuss your situation directly with jaguar? You also may try to find out if there is a regional jaguar representive to talk to about a replacement. Thirdly, check out your state lemon laws, I know for example in VA. when my brother had a problem on his 98 C5 the state lemon law states that if a dealer cannot fix the same problem after two attempts than the lemon law can be invoked.
    well i worked out everything, the 300.00 was on the invoice cause CT dealers are in a Advertising pool, they removed the doc. charges.
    im picking it up friday

adradic blue 3.0 sport, auto, x1,x2,x3, prem sound! sticker was 43,445
    i got 6500 off list with a-plan and 2100 dealer cash.

car was just built, and arrived at dealer 3 weeks ago...
    Not a bad deal at all!

The $300 is legit in CT (Besides, messing with A-Plan #s is a HUGE HUGE HUGE no-no!)

Enjoy it!

Bill
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    There was an article last week in a London paper about the X-Type titled "Jaguar's New Baby Makes a Tough Debut in the U.S." I can't get the link to work, so I'll list some notes from the article.

"Sales of Jaguar's X-Type, dubbed the most important model in the luxury carmaker's history, are progressing more slowly than expected in its key American market. Industry figures reveal that sales in the region, which was expected to be responsible for a third of world demand, are behind target at the Ford-owned manufacturer. Sales in the US for the three months since launch until November stand at under 4,000 units, far below company projections."

Later the article says part of the problem is that too many of the cars built for the US have the 3.0 engine, which consumers are finding to be too expensive. More US customers want the cheaper models, with the 2.5 engine.

The managing director who oversaw the launch of the X-Type left the company suddenly, and Ford insiders suggest it was due to lackluster sales of the X-Type.

Ford is apparently considering "drastic measures" and cost-cutting (including new products) to ensure Jaguar remains profitable.

It is too early to dub the X-Type a flop. The car could ultimately succeed if new derivatives are offered (the article said this, not me).