Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    rbadanrbadan Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

We took delivery on a 2001 Odyssey EX dark green pearl with tan (ivory) interior brand new on 1/30/01. We got the HondaCare 6 yr/75k warranty as well. the van now has 748 miles on it, no scratches, dents, stil in perfect condition.

We also have a leased Mercury Sable.

Last week, my employer offered me a car to use free. This was very unexpected but since we don't need 3 cars, we decided to sell the Odyssey and get rid of the monthly car payment that goes with it.

Since the car is essentially brand new, I am looking to sell it without taking too much of a loss. I'm already out the sales tax. I'll sell it with or without the warranty since Honda will gice me a refund if I return the warranty to them within 60 days.

We are in Philadelphia but the car can be easily shipped anywhere in the US, fully insured on a flatbed truck. One company quoted me $895 from Philly to Los Angeles.

If you or anyone you know is interested in buying the car, you can reach me by
    e-mail (madonna826@aol.com)
    or by phone at 215-464-9528 (evenings and weekends).

Dan Madonna
  • Options
    chrystal1chrystal1 Member Posts: 1
    Am interested in the logistics of buying out of state. We are on the verge of ordering an Ody EX for sticker + dest. from a dealer in CO and having it delivered to MN. From previous postings, it sounds like the dealer will expect to have the check in hand before delivery. (I assume the car is detailed in CO before being loaded on the truck.) What happens if it is damaged en route or doesn't match our order? Is that my hassle or the dealer's?
  • Options
    viviennevivienne Member Posts: 3
    Hi everyone.

Me and my husband are seriously interested in purchasing a Granite Green 2001 Odyssey EX. Does anyone know of any reputable dealerships in the Tri-State Area? What is the price being quoted for an EX Odyssey with only the standard features.... not interested in any options/accessories. We received a quote from a dealership in NJ for $28,740. Told the dealer "NO THANKS".

Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    bosox1086bosox1086 Member Posts: 1
    Got a firm quote from West Chester, PA for a 2001 EX for 26,840 which is sticker plus destination. 2 to 3 month wait. Guy I work with got the same quote from a dealership in Maryland. Shocker that a New Jersey dealer would be jacking price. I think you should be able to find for MSRP.
  • Options
    qc04124qc04124 Member Posts: 1
    Have you exhausted your search in MN? Not sure where you live, but we purchased an '01 EX about 4 weeks ago from Burnsville Honda for MSRP without forced add-ons. We waited 3 weeks for it to arrive. A co-worker had the same type experience at Richfield Honda.
  • Options
    xaddictxaddict Member Posts: 1
    Ok.. We got a call today from one of the four dealers that we had asked to keep an eye out for an EX-Navi and promptly went to visit, only to find out that by the time we got there, only one of the original three were still left.. (other dealers snitched the others).. So, we put down our deposit and filled out the plethora of paperwork so that we can take delivery of the van when it arrives within the next week or two.. It's Silver with no other dealer additions. We got a quote for the 6/100 honda care along with a package that will pay the difference between the insurance payout and the purchase price IF the vehicle is snitched and parted out beyond repair within the first 5 years.. Interesting concept.. We've still got a week or two to make up our minds on the extended warranty, etc.. This dealer (Honda World in Downey) didn't really want to sell us a GE Capital extended warranty for the EX-Navi, citing possible lack of coverage for some of the extra "NAVI" electronics should they fail.. Anyway, we are getting $1200 over MSRP which is about average here in So-Cal ($1000 - $1200 over), with many dealers still selling for $2000 over MSRP.. HondaWorld was nice in the fact that we confronted them several weeks ago and asked what the "norm" was for their pricing and they told us the $1000 - $1200 over MSRP for these.. Another dealer (Norm Reeves in Cerritos) wouldn't even tell us anything until they had a van in their hands -- they like to add stuff on it first so they can raise the price a bit..
  • Options
    mickeyd2mickeyd2 Member Posts: 2
    Does Honda really have such bad quality? I have owned two Acura's, one in the past and one currently. I have not found any reliability issues or problems that could have fallen under warranty. Do the Odysseys have a reputation or expectation of poor reliability? Just curious. It seems that many of the posters on this board are hot on spending an extra $800+ on this "benefit".
  • Options
    okey3okey3 Member Posts: 10
    My wife and I live in NJ and bought a SS EX for $26,400 + $15 for a temp. tag fee from Dave Campfield at Burne Honda in Scranton, PA. They threw in the cargo tray and splash guards as well. The number is 1-800-822-2110. We had a great buying experience and didn't have to wait. Good luck
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. But, did you have to wait for your SS EX? Did the dealership have a number of Odyssey's on hand? How long ago did you purchase your minivan from Burne Honda?

We're interested in the Granite Green. Hopefully, they'll have one in stock.
  • Options
    jpdesaijpdesai Member Posts: 1
    Anybody from CT want to buy and can go out of state then check message #625
  • Options
    ocuihsocuihs Member Posts: 138
    FYI....

EX at MSRP $26,400 - destination $440, NY state tax $2214.30, some hefty tags at $266! (EX/NAVI at MSRP $28,400)

why buy parts from dealers?!

fender wheel trim $98.12 + splash guards $57.02 + wheel locks $27.30 + EX Xbars $83.20 + cargo tray $56.78 = $322.42

prices from hondapartsforyou.com (free shipping) within 3-5 business days UPS Ground

other sites: handa-accessories.com; manhonda.com
  • Options
    okey3okey3 Member Posts: 10
    I happened to call around to different dealers in PA as most of the dealers in NJ had a 3-5 month waiting list. I called Dave Campfield at Burne Honda as they had two unspoken for SS EX's coming in within a day or two. They did have a couple different colors in stock at that time but we wanted the SS EX. It will be exactly 1 mos. tomorrow that we bought and we have almost 1,100 miles on it and have had no problems. I directed another reader on this forum who was looking for a SS EX to Dave Campfield at Burne Honda and he purchased as well. It turned out we picked up our EX's the same day and got to meet each other - He was from NJ as well. We both had a great buying experience and have been pleased with the purchase. I wish you well in your search. Let him know Kevin O'Connor refered you. Let me know how you make out. Good Luck
  • Options
    Hi Kevin.

I sent an email message to Burne Honda last night. I'm awaiting a response. We would be more than willing to take the drive to PA if it means a hassle-free experience. It seems that Granite Green is in demand at this time but hopefully they'll one in stock or expecting to receive one in the near future. We're not in a rush to buy. We're willing to wait 3-4 mos if necessary.

Thanks for the info. I'll keep you posted when they respond.
  • Options
    pymmpymm Member Posts: 20
    Sorry, Ahmed, it's taken me so long to get back to you--we've been outta town. You're probably already bought the Oddy by now. Anyway, I DID NOT pay Dealer Prep fees at Honda Cars of Hickory. Paid standard destination charge, taxes, lic charges and drove away. We refused the dealer add-ons with no problem.
  • Options
    peanut1996peanut1996 Member Posts: 1
    WE ARE IN THE MARKET FOR A 2001 ODY. ARE DEALERS CHARGING A PREMIUM IN THE PORTLAND METRO AREA? HAS ANYONE OUT THERE PAID MSRP OR LESS? IS THERE A WAITING LIST?
  • Options
    skyboltskybolt Member Posts: 10
    xaddict, slow down! Remember you were looking for a deal when you found that one. I just picked up my 2001 Ody yesterday from Unicars Honda in Palm Desert for MSRP. They aren't that far from you, I drove 170 miles to pick it up and really enjoyed the 170 miles bringing it home (wife followed in Accord). I contacted them originally by email, Jesse Gamez called me back and I was comparing his offer with one through Auto-by-tel from another dealer who was $500 higher. Jesse was willing to negotiate on the options, so I loaded it up pretty good and got a smoking deal on the Honda Care 7 yr. 100 thousand, 0 deductible too. Anyway, Unicars Honda sells the Odyssey at MSRP plus $440 destination, $50 Doc Fee, tax & license period. No hassle, no pressure to get any options. If you do want options though, Jesse will work with you on the option prices. I worked the whole thing out with Jesse by phone, then went down and put a $500 deposit. It came in Thursday, Jesse called me up and said they'd have all the options installed by noon on Friday when we picked it up. Call up Unicars Honda and ask for Jesse Gamez or drive east on I-10 towards Indio to the I-10 Auto Mall. We were really pleased with his non-presured help & product knowledge, and of course getting MSRP in Southern California was easy to take too!

Happy Honda Hunting!
  • Options
    I just bought my Honda Care 7/100/0 Extended Warranty on Friday. My understanding is that it includes Road Service coverage which the standard warranty doesn't. We use to pay Good Sam Club around $100 a year just for Road Service coverage. For less than $200 more over 7 years or 100,000 miles we are getting bumper to bumper warranty coverage too with the Honda Care Extended Warranty. To me, that's darn cheap for peace of mind over the next 100,000 miles or 7 years! And at car prices today, we plan on keeping our Ody at least that long, and hope to never have to use the Extended Warranty... but so much coverage at such a nominal price, how could I resist? I guess it depends on the angle you are looking from.
  • Options
    davida5davida5 Member Posts: 21
    Try Spreen Honda (909-796-6955) in Loma Linda, about 50 miles west of Palm Springs. They sell EXs at MSRP. I don't know about Nav. We spoke with Fred Martinez.
  • Options
    ahmed5ahmed5 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Pymm.
    We put our name on the waiting list with Honda
    Cars of Hickory. He said that the LX of our choice
    should be in by the end of march.
    I got the same deal as you did. The only thing
    is that I'll have to drive about 150 miles from
    the Raleigh/Durham area to pick up the van.

I told David Russel that he was highly recommended
    by a poster on the Edmunds Message board.
    I'll let you know how it goes.

thanks again!
    Ahmed
  • Options
    gil14gil14 Member Posts: 3
    Ordered a starlight silver Odyssey LX back in October from Friendly Honda, Poughkeepsie, N.Y. and picked it up last week. We could have had one a month earlier if we wanted a different color, so the wait may be getting shorter. Price was MSRP (23,900)plus 440 destination fee plus about $100 DMV fees,etc. plus sales tax. No last minute surprises (i.e. dealer conveyance fees), no bs, no pressure to buy undercoating, warranties, etc. Tom Pratt was the salesman, quite helpful and professional. I'd recommend them. 1-845-454-2400
  • Options
    David,Did you actually make a deal by phone with Spreen? We tried them first because I take my wife to the Heart Institute in Loma Linda once in awhile anyway. I emailed a serious inquiry with exactly what we wanted (options, etc.) to them three different times (once a week). I remember the last email I ended it with, "P.S. You have a nice Web site, is it effective?"...trying to wake them up, LOL.We gave up on them and I then did the "shotgun" approach to about a dozen Southern Calif. dealers via email, and also tried Auto-by-tel. Jesse Gamez at Unicars Honda, http://www.unicarshonda.com , and about two others responded within 24 hours... none of the rest in the "shotgun" approach responded (hmmm, why do they bother with a Web site?). Anyway, Jesse Gamez @ Unicars was the only one that was MSRP right out of the gate. Even the Auto-by-tel dealer was $500 over MSRP, but he offered any & all options at less than MSRP.Jesse said he'd match the less than MSRP option prices of the Auto-by-tel dealer. We came to an agreement by phone, and Jesse wrote it up and got Unicars to sign it approved... then he faxed it to me. We gave him a deposit and there was only one person ahead of us for the model & color we wanted. Definitely the best way to price shop a region. A couple weeks later, the Sales Manager from Spreen finally called me (6 weeks after my first inquiry to them!) and arrogantly told me they didn't dicker on option prices because they are all MSRP. He told me to come down with deposit to get on his "twenty page" waiting list... but they wouldn't do anything other than in person, and wouldn't deal on option prices. So I just thanked him and told him we already had a better deal with Unicars.Spreen matches Unicars' MSRP, but unlike Unicars, they wouldn't deal on the options (and we got ours with tow package, trans oil cooler, fog lights, splash guards, cargo mat, automate, and the Honda Care Ext. War.) ...so we got a lot better deal with Unicars, plus I enjoyed Jesse's willingness to respond quickly and strike a deal via phone & fax, which was really convenient, and what I was lookng for.If someone doesn't want any options, Spreen & Unicars both sell at MSRP, which is a rarity in So. Cal. I just found Unicars was more accomodating to my needs
  • Options
    myfirsthondamyfirsthonda Member Posts: 2
    I am seriously considering buying a new Ody EX from a dealer in my town, mainly for convenience reasons. The best I could do is MSRP plus destination and $100. for dealer prep. with the dealer throwing in the Protection Package (wheel locks, cargo cover, mud flaps) at no charge. I really hate paying the dealer prep since they are making enough on the vehicle already but they won't budge. I was also quoted $1,200 for the Honda Care extended warranty. Do these numbers appear to be in line? Does anyone think I should be able to do better if I shop around more?
  • Options
    ravenxyravenxy Member Posts: 10
    It is very hard to find a dealer willing to go under MSRP for the Ody. Since the wheel locks, cargo cover, and mud flaps cost more than $100, and are worth having, then I'd say you are getting the Ody. for MSRP, even a little under. Just watch out they don't throw in any more extra gotchas when you close the deal.

$1200 is too much for the Honda Care warranty. The top of the line warranty (7 year, 100K miles) can be had for $875 from dealers mentioned previously in this forum. And, if you buy the warranty out of state (over the phone which is prefectly legal in Honda's eyes), you don't have to pay state sales tax on the $875.

John
    Green Granite Ody Ex/Navi owner as of 3/3/01
  • Options
    humphreydoghumphreydog Member Posts: 7
    I have my LX on order and I'm trying to decide which way to finance. I like e-loans rate (7.39%) but I understand some dealers don't accept it. Does anyone know what the Honda Finance interest rate is?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    davida5davida5 Member Posts: 21
    I was driving by Spreen Honda in January on a business trip and stopped in. I put a deposit on an EX with the expectation of a 2 -3 month wait. The person I've dealt with has been very communicative, and I have no qualms about dealing with him. The only issue I have is that they won't nail down options prices in advance.

We've actually arranged a reasonable deal in the Bay Area which will hopefully come to fruition in the next week. I'll write up the story when it's finished.

Cheers
  • Options
    jayhondadjjayhondadj Member Posts: 7
    I'm the Internet Sales Manager for a Honda Dealer in Ohio.
    From what I have heard, Honda Finance is at about 9.25%, that's what I was told by my Finance Manager. I have taken drafts from e-loan about a dozen times and we have never had a problem. I would think if a dealer will not accept them, the only reason is they make no "backend" for the dealerships finance department. That is an individual department in the dealership, and the Finance Manager gets paid seperately for the profit generated.
  • Options
    mickeyd2mickeyd2 Member Posts: 2
    Does anybody know what the money factor is for the Honda Odyssey from AHFC? Any range?

Thanks!
  • Options
    ravenxyravenxy Member Posts: 10
    Just this past saturday Honda Finance matched the 7.09% that I had been approved for through my local AAA. I had recently paid off my Accord through Honda Finance, so the dealer said I was a "Honda Finance preferred customer", which supposedly helped get me approved for the low rate.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I never thought of going through AAA. I called them yesterday and they gave my a rough quote ("in the sevens"). They will give me an exact quote when I apply. Since I have a few weeks, I think I'll get quotes from AAA and e-loan and see if Honda will beat them (or come very close).

Thanks again
  • Options
    tedwilketedwilke Member Posts: 3
    Getting an Odyssey for under MSRP is as simple as living in the right area of the country. Since you don't say where you live, I can't help, but in the Midwest, they sell for approximately $500 off sticker with no required add-ons. As for the mandatory "protection package", I intend to add all of zero of these options to my SS Odyssey EX, which will arrive on March 28th from Performance Honda in Cincinnati. Yes, I had to shop around, but none of the dealers in Indiana/ Ohio charged above MSRP to begin. Good luck!
  • Options
    3senough3senough Member Posts: 17
    I purchased a factory demo 2000 EX Navi from Merced Honda in Merced, CA. I dealt with John Perry who was very easy to work with and a nice person. I spoke to him about buying new and he said that they sell them at MSRP there, where most Bay area dealerships are several thousand over. I thought it was well worth the 2-hour drive to make my deal. They have an 800 number.
    1-800-734-8101. I know that they had a waiting list, but I don't know how long the wait is.
  • Options
    lostinspace2lostinspace2 Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone. I finally purchased a Emerald Green Odessey Ex. I purchased the vehicle from Ellis Brook Motors in Yreka Ca (530) 842-2755 for MSRP. I did not have to wait. The person I spoke to is Randy Weiner. My final price was $29171 plus $250 for delivery fee from Yreka to SF. The deal went smoothly and I highly recommend them. Good Luck Ken
  • Options
    deliaddeliad Member Posts: 4
    I booked my SS EX '01 after getting Jerry Murray's name from this board. Picked up my van on Friday. Excellent experience, no hassles. Great guy!!! Only problem, I had to wait for more than 2 months but I guess that is Honda's problem and not the dealers'.

I'll recommend this dealership to people in DC/ Baltimore metro areas. I am in No. VA and all dealers here are asking for options worth thousands.

You may contact Jerry @ 410-337-9700 or heritagehonda@aol.com.
    I now need to start research for cassette player and the flip top video system.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    Forgot to mention.. bought the SS EX 01 at MSRP from Heritage Honda.
  • Options
    acsmithacsmith Member Posts: 63
    I went with the dealer for $275 installed in my 01 EX, and because the dealer installed it, it's covered by the extended warranty. You can get them from hondapartsforyou.com for about $150, and hassle with installation if you're handy and have the time. To me, it simply was not worth the savings of about $125; but with this info, you now know some choices. Good hunting!
  • Options
    minivanshopnminivanshopn Member Posts: 9
    Looking for Upstate NY Dealer experiences and prices paid please to help us get our van asap. We're going to purchase a SS Odyssey 2001 EX model.We're trying to find information on dealers around the Rochester/Buffalo region. Thanks!
    Hope to be driving a Odyssey soon!
  • Options
    timhondatimhonda Member Posts: 24
    I got a SS Ex '01 at John Holtz of Honda in Rochester at MSRP. The trade was very fair. I tried two other Honda dealerships in Rochester and wasn't happy. John Holtz should have some Odys on the lot now. Their phone number is (716) 424-4740. Good luck.
  • Options
    sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    Does anyone know when the new 2002 Ody will be out? ...or what new features it will have?

Thanks.
  • Options
    3kingdom3kingdom Member Posts: 3
    Read most of Honda Odyssey-Prices Paid VI, feel some what confident enough to tackle with Goudy Honda regarding to price and extended care warrently. End up with GG Odyssey EX for ~31000 out the door with leather (no seat heater), cargo tray, mud guard, full nose mask, and $895 for extended care warrently. Still I don't believe that I got a good deal. What do you think? I haven't take the van from the lot yet, still waiting for leather to be installed. Can I still back out? Your response would be appreciated.
  • Options
    sbelfieldsbelfield Member Posts: 41
    I had the same question about the 4.5% retail sales tax in VA....

What I found out is that in VA you pay 3.0% tax on vehicle purchases plus whatever city tax is out there. For me, in Chesapeake, I believe its an extra 0.2% for a total of 3.2%.
  • Options
    usmarineusmarine Member Posts: 5
    I live in No. VA and am looking to buy a Odyssey LX. My credit union has brochures on United Buying Service (UBS). Has anyone tried to buy a hard-to-find vehicle like the Odyssey through them? What kind of deal did you get?

Also, can anyone from VA who bought an Odyssey out of state tell me how VA charges for title/registration? Do they charge the full 4.5% tax you would pay if you bought in state?

Any news on recent good deals or availability in the region would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    cary28cary28 Member Posts: 53
    I've dealt with Goudy Honda in the past and I did not find their prices particurly competitive when compared with other dealers in the area. This is probably due to the high demand for Honda in the SGV, so they take a pretty snooty attitude when it comes to limited available vehicles.

I had this experience when I was shopping for an Accord EX-V6 in early 98, and the same for the Ody in Jan/01. I ended up buying from Kaiser Bros in downtown as they had below MSRP pricing for the Accord when every other dealer wanted premium over MSRP. Kaiser still wants $500 over MSRP for the Ody when I talked with them in Jan, but there may be some dealers willing to take less due to demand erosion in the last 2 months. Have you tried Nelson Honda, or the guys in Pasedena?

Cary
  • Options
    Hello sbelfield and usmarine:

I am in No. VA also and bought an SS EX last week from Heritage Honda in Towson, MD near Baltimore. Have'nt yet registered in VA. But as per DMV's site (http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/citizen/vehicles/titling.asp) , I would be required to pay 3% sale and use tax + $10 for titling.

I am not sure but if I had bought in VA, I would have paid 4.5%. The dealer in MD did not charge any sales tax since I am not registering in MD. He only charged for a 45 days temp tag.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    mstaebomstaebo Member Posts: 9
    Hi from a first-time poster. Sorry if this is a stupid question, but when people talk about having paid no more than the MSRP price for an Odyssey, does that include the $440 destination charge? Is there such a thing as not paying destination? I live in New Hampshire and talked to a dealer that sells the EX for $26840 (MSRP + destination) + $120 document fee. I'm wondering if that's a good deal. (Our governor is trying to institute a state sales tax, and we'd like to buy before that happens.)

The dealer told me I could get one in my color choice with no added options within 4 to 6 weeks. She also said that she had some banks that could give me 48 or 60 month financing for less than 7%.

Any info about the destination charge would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Typically, MSRP pricing includes the $440 destination charge for a grand total of $26,840. IMHO, paying a doc fee for an MSRP deal is adding insult to injury. Since MSRP and a wait is still the norm here in New England, call around to see who has the lowest doc fee or who would be willing to waive it.

Good Luck
  • Options
    I couldn't find a dealer on Long Island willing to sell for MSRP. Honda City (+1000), Baron (+1500). Going on info I received from messageboard, I contacted Hillside Honda. Left a deposit (March 3rd) for an LX at MSRP and I was told their would be a 3 month wait. Guess what, they called me today with the VIN numbers and said I would have it in 2 weeks.

Sunday I noticed TV commercials for the Odyssey and today I saw ads on Yahoo. Maybe they're overestimating the wait and not selling as many as they lead us to believe?
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    $31K with the options you listed sounds pretty good, assuming that your wait time is less than a month. We got our GG EX from Goudy too, but for 29,980 out the doow with no accessories (but of course we took delivery within 3 weeks of ordering it). If it was possible to wait longer we would have, in order to take advantage of the increased production/availabiity. As for Cary's suggestion about Nelson, let's say that they make you buy all their accessories and still put you on a longer waiting list than Goudy. I also tried Spreen, Metro, and Monrovia dealers, but their wait list was 2-5 months. Anyhow, hope this helps.
  • Options
    sz1sz1 Member Posts: 31
    Humphreydog:

I live close to Hillside Honda. Are you happy with your buying experience there? Who was your sales man? I am looking to buy for MSRP and might go there. Is destination charge included in MSRP or in addition to it?

Thanks,
    Steven
  • Options
    Steven,

Overall, our experience with them has been great. We knew exactly what we wanted when we got there so it was an easy sell for the salesman. Still he took the time to show us the display model in showroom (this was the only dealer we have been to that had a display)and try to "sell" us the car. Keep in mind that we didn't pick up the car yet or get pressured into adding on accessories. We'll see if that comes when we pick it up.

The salesman (John) called me yesterday with the VIN's so it's on the way.

The car was MSRP+destination+registation+prep fees=about 24,500. One prep fee I must question the salesman about is "Fluid Charge". The sticker say the price includes full tank of gas.

Good Luck...JOHN