Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MB M-Class Owners: Care & Maintenance

2»

Comments

• lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Put Toyo Proxes on my wife's 2002 ML320. About 4K miles into them so far and ride, noise and all-weather grip is great. Good performance for the dollar.
  • newc230newc230 Member Posts: 7
    I have ML320 2002. The cd player is not working. How can I find what is wrong with it. I get the message NO Changer.thanks in advance for help.
  • metropicometropico Member Posts: 5
    My 15K mile 2002 ML 500 warranty is about to expire. Have not even had my imitial B Service. As the truck was imported from Canada, no xtend policy is available from Mercedes U.S. or Canada. My local dealer offers a '5 Star Program' from GE Auto Warranty Services, and I see many offers on the web for 'Vehicle Warranty 60% off'. Anyone with experience concerning this dilemma or suggestion please reply.
    many thanks~~~Metro
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    metropico -

One of the best extended warranty companies is warranty direct. Check them out at http://www.warrantydirect.com

They have a decent track record with the BBB as well....Hope this helps!

Also be sure to ask your dealer about the MB Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) program. It covers 12-24months or 100K miles whichever one comes first at no additional cost to you. This EW kicks in after the initial 4yr/50K mile warranty expires. See MB's website for details.
    Thank you. I will check with my dealer this week and post results.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You may want to check out these discussions too:

Extended Warranties

Warranty Claims Administration

Steve, Host
    Decided to buy Service Contract from Warranty Direct. Was endorsed by a neighbor who had excellent results with a 4 year policy on his Mercedes. I also checked with my Service Manager who said he has had no problem with this company. Thank you for your input.
  • sgt_k1sgt_k1 Member Posts: 14
    Hello, can sommeone tell me where is the Drainage tray for the mercedes benz ml500 located at. whenever it rain my suv get wet inside. Some one told me that ML500 2002 has a drainage tray. Can some one please help me on this.
  • lorryfanlorryfan Member Posts: 76
    No problem metropico - your welcome!

Am glad I was able to help.....enjoy the EW peace of mind.
  • whoiamwhoiam Member Posts: 1
    We just changed battery on ML320, I asked Dealer if it could be done by non-dealer and was told it could be done, but the system would have to be re-set (eg radio, windows etc, would not work) they proceeded to tell me that I could do the roadside assistance thing that would be only for the price of the battery. After many additional questions, was told that you could change it but you would need to keep power going, you can get something from auto zone or so to plug into the lighter. Anyway decided to do it ourselves,bought battery from Dealer, for abt $109, with installation abt $200+. Trick is to leave the car running when you take out the battery, so it does not lose power, (Be careful). Don't know if thats the problem you are having or because batt is not from Dealer.
    Hope this helps
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think the gizmos that plug into a power port to save your setting runs off a 9 volt battery and costs around $20. It's been a while since I read about them but they may be worth a look. Changing a battery with the belts and fan running doesn't sound like much fun. :sick:

Do you (or anyone) remember what they call the plug in gizmos?
  • pai7pai7 Member Posts: 35
    I have a 99 ML 430 with 86k miles.Is there a schedule to change the f&r Differential fluid and the transfer case fluid.I hear that the transmission on that vehicle is sealed and lubricated for the life. Will appreciate any input. Thanks
  • mschafermschafer Member Posts: 317
    MB has revised their "sealed for life" philosophy on the tranny. It seemed that "life" was ending just after all warranties expired. I would change the ATF and filter asap!
  • mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    This is crazy. I used own a 99ML and when I had about 45K miles I specifically told the advisor that I want to change the the atf fluid as I didn't want a major problem down the line by trying to save 150 or whatever on a transmission fluid change, but he told me that the transmissions is sealed and he wouldn't recommend me to do it.
  • fletch5fletch5 Member Posts: 1
    Hello -

I am hoping someone can help me. The brake lights have gone out on my 2001 ML430. Checked the fuse and it is OK. What is the next likely cause? Thanks.
  • jkalinowskijkalinowski Member Posts: 1
    hi there, I'm trying to reset the same on my 1998 - did this work for you? I try it and it didn't work. I thought I might be doing it incorrectly. Thanks.
  • nabbottnabbott Member Posts: 1
    2000: brake lights don't work (but emergency blinkers and turn lights do). I am starting with the owners manual:

question: which fuses do I check? the owner's manual does not details which fuses are used for brake lights? Looking for a link or recommended document.

question: any other ideas/suggestions on what to check?

Thanks ahead of time for any advice,

-Nick
  • lovemyclklovemyclk Member Posts: 351
    Has anyone encountered peeling of the film on the exterior of the black D-pillar on the prior-gen ML (2002)? Understand they can be replaced in a similar fashion to a windshield - glued onto the underlying frame. Not willing to pay the cost quoted from the dealer at $250 each!

Would seem there is a simple remedy and repair for this... looks like the clear film protectant layer is peeling like your skin after a sunburn.

Thanks for any guidance on this.
  • cranbrandtcranbrandt Member Posts: 1
    Roberto, That is BS. I found the General Tires on my 2000 ML320 to wear out too quickly. I used Michelin Cross Terrain twice and liked them. Now I have a set of Goodyear Futuras on it. They ride well, but I have not had them long, so don't know about tire life. I got over 50,000 miles out of the Michelin Cross Terrains! I have 175, 000 miles on my ML.
  • padamcikpadamcik Member Posts: 1
    Hi -

After I change the oil, how do i reset the maintenance service indicator. I don't need to take it to a dealer, but the book doesn't give instructions for this.

thanks
  • rnugentrnugent Member Posts: 8
    The right front cupholder in my '98 ML-320 won't stay in the up position. Anyone know how to fix or replace these? Thanks,

Raymond
  • mr__edmr__ed Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 ML 320 CDI and want to do my own oil changes. How do I remove the plastic engine cover to get access to the oil filter? It looks like it just pops off, but I do not want to force any fitting and break it. It just rankles me to pay $125 for a dealer oil and filter change. Thanks.
  • gunpilot91gunpilot91 Member Posts: 3
    Yes, the plastic engine cover just lifts straight up. There are about 6 contact points where a metal post plugs into the cover. Tug up from a corner and the cover comes right up. Consider investing in an oil extraction device. I have that blue hand-pump one and it works great. Pulls the oil right out of the dipstick with little hassel.
    Thanks. Popped and reinstalled it - no problem. Got the Topsider vacuum (blue hand)
    pump and used it to suck out the transmission fluid from my son's 99 Volvo;
    will use it on my ML 320 CDI for oil changes. Found a place on line for OEM
    oil and fuel filters for this car at WAY less than dealer prices -- www.germanfilters.com --
    Will recover Topsider cost and then some on first oil change! After that, it is
    all savings. Thanks again.
  • satya789satya789 Member Posts: 3
    I saw your message in the thread. how did you solve this? did you do any thing on this.
    I appreciate your reply/post
    satya789@hotmail.com
    Not sure what you are referring to; quoted below is my response to the reply I got to my original question as to how to remove the engine cover from a 2008 MB ML 320 CDI:

"Thanks. Popped and reinstalled it - no problem. Got the Topsider vacuum (blue hand) pump and used it to suck out the transmission fluid from my son's 99 Volvo;
    will use it on my ML 320 CDI for oil changes. Found a place on line for OEM
    oil and fuel filters for this car at WAY less than dealer prices -- www.germanfilters.com --
    Will recover Topsider cost and then some on first oil change! After that, it is
    all savings. Thanks again"

If you mean the Mercedes engine cover, I simply popped it - yanked it up off its pins, as it was designed to do, and reinstalled it by pressing the cover down on the pins. No problem. If you mean the Topsider vacuum pump, I bought it on line; it is used by inserting a long, thin, stiff plastic tube down the dipstick hole and pumping the hand vacuum pump, attached to the Topsider, and then unclamping the tube clamp to allow the oil to be sucked out. I did this 3 times for the Volvo (1999 XC 70) transmission fluid because it will only access 4 quarts at a time out of the 8 quarts of Dexron that are in the Volvo. I figured 3 times will be enough to provide much cleaner transmission fluid than the black stuff that came out. While not as comprehensive (maybe) as a dealer transmission flush ((~$200), it is almost as good, and certainly good enough and MUCH cheaper.

I have yet to use it on the Mercedes, but anticipate no problem there.

Hope this answered your question.
  • satya789satya789 Member Posts: 3
    I was refering to D-pillar peeling. did you find any solution how to stop or repair the peeling of D-pillars in the back.
    Satya
  • charmatcharmat Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2010
    Hi,
    I would like to remove my battery to charge it. Can anyone please give me step by step instructions on the correct way to do this?
    Thanks,
This discussion has been closed.