Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• lsf9635lsf9635 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have problems with the seat controls.

I purchased an 05 SE Pathfinder and the driver seat does not hold the position setting. I have to adjust the seat every time I get in the car.
  • azpathfinderazpathfinder Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I've got the same problem. At 2200 rpms a rattling noise occurs. It is coming from the engine and Nissan knows about it. There is a problem with a part in the intake manifold that has a design flaw. Supposedly Nissan is redesigning the part now but I've been getting ignored for a month now. Also as someone else mentioned I too am getting a dash rattle in the right side of the dash or A pillar. Other than that it's been great but the engine noise ticks me off. Best of luck. Keep on Nissan's back and make them fix this annoying noise!

Jay
  • blawsonblawson Member Posts: 19
    For those of you who have had problems with your Service Engine Soon (SES) lights you might find this interesting. My light has come on 2 times in the past 4 months on my 2002 Pathfinder SE. Here is what happened both times the light came on:

1. First Time: I was trying synthetic oil for the 1st time. My plan was to go longer between oil changes with synthetic oil. (With regular oil, I usually change the oil at 3000 miles.) At about 5500 miles on the new oil the SES light came on. Tried a variety of things (see my previous post). I also changed back to regular oil and went through two tanks of gas with injector cleaner in. The light went off, during the 2nd tank of gas.

2. Second Time: My SES light came on again last week. (I totally forgot to change the oil at 3000 miles.) The mileage since the last oil change was 4800 miles on regular oil. I changed the oil and went through 2 tanks of gas with injector cleaner in it. The light went out during the 2nd tank of gas. (Also, for some reason, the oil level was low this time. I will keep a close look at the level for the next few thousand miles. It is not leaking oil anywhere.)

Could dirty oil somehow effect the emissions and trigger the SES light because an overly sensitive computer thinks an O2 sensor is bad? (Even though I usually change the oil at 3000 miles, I didn't think going 5000 miles was all that bad.)

I have no clue if there is a connection between dirty oil and the SES light, but I am going to make sure I continue to change the oil every 3000 miles and use injector cleaner every few months. I did this on my last 1987 Pathfinder and it was still going strong at 187,000 miles when I sold it.

Oh, I also only use premium fuel.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    I have a 2001 LE and have always changed mine at 6000 km (about 3700 mi) per the manual, synthetic Mobil 1 10W30. I use premium fuel with up to 10% ethanol in it. No SES lights after two O2 sensors were changed under warranty at about 25,000 km. Now at 53,000 km. Dealer said the O2 sensors went bad due to high sulphur content in the fuel. At the time I was using Esso premium with no ethanol and "normal" Penzoil 10W30 oil. I switched to the ethanol type of premium because it burns cleaner (less carbon buildup in the engine). It's the Huskey/Mohawk premium in Canada. I switched to the Mobil 1 because it more than pays for itself in improved mileage and the engine sounds better with it.
  • rs4rs4 Member Posts: 25
    I have the same problem. I got my car checked and the service department agreed that the noise is coming form the intake manifold. Currently Nissan does not have a counterwise to this. But soon there should have a fix. Other than this issue, I'm pretty satisfied
  • brickyfwbrickyfw Member Posts: 10
    There are two TSB's that deal with the SES light for my 2001 SE. One says the OBDII code is for an 02 sensor. The other for the cataliytic converter. Both TSB's simply recommend having the ECM reprogrammed. My dealer told me the ECM is under warranty up to 80,000 miles. I'm having mine reprogrammed tomorrow morning to fix my SES light.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    are related. These days, the cat. converter is an "active component", that is, the ECU reads the O2 sensor data and controls the operation of the cat. based on those readings (by adjusting mixture as needed). Most modern cars have a sensor before and after the cat. When the ECU thinks it has lost control of the cat. the programmers had to assume it could be because of the O2 sensors and/or the cat., so usually both codes are set. This method of operation was done to meet the tighter pollution controls and cat. converter longevity requirements. It makes the aftermarket "power enhancer" guys' work much more difficult, but I think it makes the vehicle run much better.

I hope the reprogramming fixes your problem. I think I'll leave mine alone until it "breaks".
  • mgerardmgerard Member Posts: 3
    Interested in the name of the shop.

Please share.

Thanks,
    Same year, same problem. Happened right off the lot. The rear door isn't closing tight enough, you have to put some weight into it.

New problem, rear axle seal is leaking. 60k, mostly highway.
    Had the same power problem on an old chevy pickup. I replaced the fuel filter and that fixed it. It typically is on the fuel line along the frame.
  • kgortykgorty Member Posts: 1
    DOES ANYONE KNOW IF I CAN INSTALL A 2003 BOSE HEAD UNIT INTO MY 2001 BOSE HEAD UNIT SLOT. I HAVEN'T HEARD AS MANY PROBLEMS WITH THE 2003 AND MOST SITES LIST THAT 1999-2003 HAVE SIMILAR SET-UPS. THANK YOU
  • rchonrchon Member Posts: 1
    I have the same car with the same problem. I started noticing after I had the timing belt change 2-3 months ago. I have been busy and haven't been able to talk to the dealer about the noise and I'm afraid if I take it back, they might charge me for the repair. I saw some posting that it might be due to the belts slightly mis·aligned. Not sure what long term affect this will cause. Other than this noise, can runs fine.
  • bthom07bthom07 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a used pathy and it has the slow window problem. Can anyone explain what exactly was done to correct the window moving up and down so slowly? I'm a good ole do it yourselfer.
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    I have an '01 PF and have had a slow driver window repaired twice...once at about 30k and just recently at 55k. It is much more noticeable in the winter. When it gets really cold(below zero), the window would only go down about 1/2 way and then stop. I believe all the dealer does is clean the guides. They told me it's fairly common for them to get 'gunked up', especially if you use the window frequently. Since I park in a ramp everyday, that window goes up and down twice daily. That would also explain why that's the only window I have the problem with. Anyway, the cleaning does make a big difference and the dealer doesn't charge me so it must not be a big deal to do.
  • gappagappa Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 pathfinder. The problem is not the oil or your injectors. It is probably the ecm of the car. I am now experiencing the same problem. Take your truck to autozone and get the code for the ses light. if it is p0420 or p0430 then this is the problem. Try to find the tsb on the internet and print it out and then take it to your dealer. I found the tsb on www.infinitihelp.com there is a Service bulletin out for nissan to fix this.
  • paulotterstedtpaulotterstedt Member Posts: 9
    I have a 1997 nissan pathfinder with 4WD and manual transmission; it has almost 120K miles. Recently, while cruising at highway speed, I occasionally get a brief spurt where the vehicle seems to hesitate/buck/lose power - it almost feels like if one were to shift and then let the clutch out without giving a shot of gas (note, the problem occurs when cruising steadily at highway speed in fifth gear, I just used the shifting example to explain what it sort-of feels like). I am thinking a fuel or ignition system problem. The vehicle has near-new ignition wires and I have replaced the fuel filter regularly. The non-platinum plugs were changed at 90K and are due to be changed again shortly. I am guessing fuel pump/pressure regulator or contamination in isopropyl gas line antifreeze that I recently used (seal on bottle was open but it looked clean and smelled like isopropyl alcohol). Any thoughts/advice would be greatly appreciated before I bring the vehicle to the dealer. Thanks!
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Fuel filter replaced recently?

- Mark
  • villalbvillalb Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have a suggestion on who I can contact at Nissan to expedite the availability of a roof rail end cap that fell off of our brand new 2005 pathfinder LE? I have already opened a case with NNA and they too, have no idea when the part will be available.

The story:

About a week after we took delivery, the ~8" passenger side outside end cap for the roof rail flew off in traffic never to be seen again.

We called our dealer immediately who then ordered the part.. This was on or around 1/23/2005.

The situation:

It has been over 3 weeks since this part fell off and we do not have any type of ETA on replacing it.

I'm quite disheartened that we have spent over $30,000 for a truck that Nissan is unable to provide warranty based replacement parts for.

I find it hard to believe with production of this vehicle being in the United States that there is not a SINGLE unit of this part available.

Does anyone know someone @ NNA I can contact to get this resolved?
  • calgaryphilcalgaryphil Member Posts: 17
    Unfortunately this is typical of new vehicles in the early part of their production run. Nissan is so busy trying to keep up with demand that they have little time to build a parts inventory. This happened with a PCM on my Honda Odyssey. There were none available as "spare" yet. This was such an important part for the vehicle however, that they ended up salvaging one from another new, unsold Odyssey on the lot.

Maybe try convincing your dealer to do the same for the endcap?
  • paulotterstedtpaulotterstedt Member Posts: 9
    I replaced it November 29, 2003 with a CarQuest, at 105,527 miles, now have about 119,500.

Thanks.
    Unfortunately, the dealer refers me to NNA who is not returning my phone calls.
  • markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I'd replace it again. I bad batch of gas might have gummed it up.

- Mark
  • azpathfinderazpathfinder Member Posts: 6
    HI,

I just got a call from my service department and the part came in to fix the intake manifold on my 2005 Pathfinder. I'm scheduled for 2/21/05. I'll let you know how it sounds when they put in the new part!
  • scott174scott174 Member Posts: 74
    Go to the Dealer late at night and........

Then THEY can deal with it.
  • gruchgruch Member Posts: 2
    I'm having a similar problem with my 05. At 800 miles the VDC, Slip, and Service Engine Soon lights are on. The manual mentions a reset but I can't find where it says how to do it. The dealer service department said there is no way to reset it. How did you perform the reset? Also, how did the dealer remedy your problem? Thanks.
    Thats great news. So they will be replacing the existing part with a new intake manifold? I will check with my dealer to then. Yah please do let me know how it sounds after the fix. All the Best
  • gjaugiegjaugie Member Posts: 6
    At 2500 miles on my new 05 Pathfinder LE I started getting an annoying low end vibration at around 1500-1800 RPM that seems to be coming from the transmission. Around the same time the shifting began to feel like it was slipping, especially from first to second gear. I suspect a tranny problem, or maybe a computer issue but I haven't had time to get it to the dealer. Based on the other posts about dealerships, I'm sure they will say No Problem Found until it drops parts on the freeway.
  • gjaugiegjaugie Member Posts: 6
    I have both of these problems. I was able to isolate the dash rattle to the A pillar on the right side where the lower screw of the handle attaches. If you push on that area of the A pillar trim near the handle while someone else is driving you can find when it goes away. Trying to stop it is harder. I tried stuffing kleenex and rubber stripping in between the windshield and the trim piece and it stopped it for awhile, but it came back. I also tried taking the handle off and stuffing things in there and it seemed to reduce the frequency og the rattle. It is annoying but I don't have the enthusiasm to hassel it with the other problems I'm experiencing with my tranny. See my post #1252 about that.
    Is the FM Reception on 05 Pathfinders w/ NAV pretty weak? I was told there may be a TSB regarding this issue. Our radio keeps fading in and out on FM and the ST (Stereo) indicator is always coming on and off on stations that are very powerful and local to our area.
  • bksanzbksanz Member Posts: 3
    My 05' Pathfinder SE was making (what I thought to be) "spark knock" noises when I acceleraate (close above 2000RPM). The dealer contacted Nissan's "Techline". They shipped a new intake mainfold, and after installation, there was not much improvement. While it isn't as loud, it still exsists when the engine has run for a long while. In fact, the engine is rather noisy for a new truck, and I still can't get over 14 MPG on the highway. I am (to say the least) very disenchanted with Nissan's 05 Pathfinder.

I just don't know what I should do about this?
  • carlmarkcarlmark Member Posts: 1
    The same happened to me... I went to local body shop for oil change and explained the same sound situation and he tightened the engine belt and now I don't hear that sound again....

Hope this helps...
  • grego1grego1 Member Posts: 1
    can anyone tell me what I might look for on my 97 pathy???? failed the state test with 3 codes, po446, po443 and po450, changed plugs and pcv and the first 2 codes went away, the ses came back on shortly with just the po450, any help is appreciated.
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Refer to post #1217 for info.
  • jburnsjburns Member Posts: 2
    my SES light has been on for about 3 weeks. I pulled the codes and it showed 1135 (intake valve timing control circuit-bank 2) and 1110 (intake valve timing control solenoid). The engine seems to be running fine. Has anyone else had these codes before and is this a "do it yourself" job and where would I find parts? Also, any idea on cost and where these parts are in the engine. Thanks.
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    I have an 05 frontier with the vq40 engine and the rattling noise at 2100 RPM. I took it in today - they had not heard of this problem - but within two hours of leaving the dealership, they said Nissan is aware, and they ordered a new intake manifold, gasket, and some adapter.
    I'll let you know if this resolved the problem - I think it will.
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    I had the 1135 code but it went away by itself after a week or so. Time may depend on things. Wait a few weeks and a couple tanks of gas from different gas stations to see if it will reset. If it is an immediate safety or poor performance need then by all means address the issue but, I would give it some time.

Sensors are relatively easy to replace but not yet though....Haynes repair manual shows you how.

SES light may come up again because it may not be a real code and then you wasted time and money for parts.
  • 96path96path Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 pathfinder and it has the same problem gas mileage sucks and no acceleration on the highway I was told it could be the fuel pump but I checked the pressure and it was 34 psi Some body told me it could be a blocked catalytic converter I don't know can any body help???

Thanks
  • windegowindego Member Posts: 2
    Are you using premium gasoline? If not you are lowering performance and MPG. As for the loud engine, did you not test drive the vehicle?
  • gruchgruch Member Posts: 2
    After 1 day, the SLIP and VDC lights went off. The SES remained on and I had to take it back to the dealer. The mechanic explained he couldn't tell what the malfunction was because several cycles passed before I was able to bring it in. So far all malfunction lights are still off.

Also, in my search to discover a reset procedure I noticed the manuals on line and in print are different. The manual that came with it referenced a reset procedure that was no where to found. I checked the online pdf manual and I found it.
    It would be of great help if you could let me know if the rattling noise was resolved or not. Thanks
  • woodshop28woodshop28 Member Posts: 74
    rs4, I'll be glad to post an update. Hopefully it'll be good news. The new part is scheduled to be installed on the 2nd (Wednesday). I'll probably give it a day or two after that to see if the problem persists, and then I will post an update. I do know of another person who had this done, and it fixed the problem.
  • rufus19rufus19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a simular problem, have you managed to fix it yet, if so how did you manage it.....
    Thanks woodshop28 I will wait for your post. I too hope the problem gets resolved. All the Best. Oh thats good to know, that it did work for some one. Thanks again
  • jmfjrjmfjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE 4x4 also(53K miles). My SES light came on about a month ago. I took it to Autozone to get the error codes. They were P0420 and P1140. I was thinking it may be the O2 sensors. When I checked with PepBoys (they usually have reasonably priced auto parts), 3 of the4 sensors were $350 each, the other was $80. I was wondering where you found all 4 sensors for $300?

Does anyone have any other suggestions for correcting these error codes? The codes were cleared when I checked the codes, but it came back on my 3rd trip and remained on ever since.

Thanks,
    John
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    jmfjr, see post #1240 above, it's likely you can get this repair completed under warranty.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I'm going through the same problem and don't count on getting it repaired under warranty. The TSB regarding this says to replace the oxygen sensors (only covered under the 36,000 mile warranty), then reprogram the ECM (covered under the 70,000 mile federal emissions warranty). The dealer I took it to told me to bring in a receipt showing that I had replaced the oxygen sensors & they would reprogram the ECM for free... or I could let them replace the oxygen sensors for almost $600 parts & labor... no thanks. I too checked autozone & the price was much more than the dealer. I found them cheaper online several places. Just do a google search for "2001 Nissan Pathfinder oxygen sensor."
  • kashkash Member Posts: 2
    Could you let me know who is the dealer that is trying to solve your problem.
  • kashkash Member Posts: 2
    Hi guys, the rattling noise at 2000 to 2100 rpm needs to be resolved. Somebody who had their manifold replaced and did not resolve the problem, should call nissan and open a tech case. After they should post the contact number at nissan so we can all put in a tech issue with the same person. Then nissan will be aware of the problems we are having with 05 pathfinders.
  • jbates99jbates99 Member Posts: 9
    hi Pathfinder owners,

I notice a lot of noise when driving my 99 Pathfinder at highway speeds. Seems to be coming from the roof area. It has a sunroof, but no wind deflector.

If I install a wind deflector, will that likely help ? I've installed them before - very easy, but why spend the money if it won't help prevent noise ?

Sure appreciate a word from someone that has solved this problem.

Thanks, John
  • damjdamj Member Posts: 2
    2005 Pathfinder LE owner here.. I just did a google search on "2005 Pathfinder acceleration rattle" and hit your forum. I guess I'm not the only one with this problem. Here's something I noticed, when alomost out of gas (25 miles to empty) the rattle disappears and the engine seems to run better. Am I on crack... or is there something to this almost out of gas thing? BTW, I took mine to Nissan for the rattle and they claimed they "could not duplicate the noise". Hmmmm let me help you by removing that doughnut from your ear and kicking you in the @3&&!! Any more progress on this issue anyone????