Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• ragpaoaragpaoa Member Posts: 8
    I have the 05 Pathfinder LE 4WD. I plan do some offroading since we are big outdoor hiking and mtn bike fanatics.
    I'm the type who always look underneath my vehicles to inspect the to see what's vulnerable.
    According to the specs on all the brochures and internet, the LE 4WD has skid plates for the lower radiator AND oil pan. Only the SE Off-Road has additional skid plates for the transfer case and gas tank.
    However, my oil pan is bare with no skid plate prtecting it. Only the lower radiator has a plate. Everything else is bare.
    Did the factory forget to put the oil pan skid plate on my vehicle? Anyone with a 4WD LE please check?
    Thank You.
  • goldwing1001goldwing1001 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '98 PF with the 3.3 Engine (R50). I have a Problem that when it seems to get warm, and I shut the truck off, It wont start. And when it starts, it idles like on 3 Cylinders at 200 RPM and when I try to give it gas, it Dies. If I let it cool for 20 Minutes, Then it starts like nothing ever Happened. I went to the Dealer and he hooked it on to the Computer. The Computer said the Distributor had been reporting problems...Could make sense that the Coil is getting hot and breaking connection...Only thing is, when the car is running, It runs great !! Only when I shut it off and try to start it again. The Dealer told me 800 Dollars for a New Distributor assembly !! I almost Fainted and then he told me the internal parts were not replaceable...Can anyone give me a hand on this one ??? It could be as simple as the Condenser thats mounted Outside the Distributor...But Nissan dosen't sell the Condensor either...Only a Distributor assembly ....

Thank You !!
  • cdgvw1cdgvw1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am new too... I am working on my grandmothers 95 SE... Are your lights and dash gauges flickering and spiking too?? I have put 2 alternators on this thing... How about engine dying and not wanting ti restart for about 30 mins??? but will turn over..

Any help you can send my way will be appreciated.

Thanks, Chris
  • rs4rs4 Member Posts: 25
    I have the same model, let me know where I'm suppose to look exactly, and I will verify for you
    Ohh Boy what a relief, for the past 2 months this noise had driven me crazy. Finally the part arrived and the noise is gone. I got my first service done too at around 3250 miles a little early. Now I find the vehicle to run smoother too. I was averaging around 16.5 in the city will see if that goes up. Thanks to everyone for posting information regarding the fix. Hope this gets resolved for all the other 2005 owners
    Well, I verified that the LE 4WD does NOT come with oil pan skid plates as mentioned in the brochures, dealers and the internet. I went to my local dealer and looked unerneath 3 LE 4WD models and sure enough, no skid plates. Nissan should have at least protected the oil pan on the 4WD models.
    So, I inquired about skid plates at Parts and it would cost $252 for oil pan, transfer case, and gas tank skid plates including all bolts. I may order them soon since I do off-road on my Pathfinder and I would feel safer with them.

Has anyone checked on the A/C cycling on and off even after you turn off the A/C?
    Thanks.
  • aspenrainaspenrain Member Posts: 4
    There seems to be a problem with the RDS radio feature in my pathfinder. It skips every other word or call signal configuration sent out by the radio station. Sometimes it will get "stuck" on a particular word and when it catches back up it reads way out of sequence again skipping around the signal essentially reading like gibberish. Is this a known prob with the 2004 PF LE? Any help would greatly be appreciated.
    aspenrain,

I have the same problem. It happens when your signal begins to weaken. When the signal regains its strength, the RDS will re-establish the information. If it happens all the time, there is a TSB for this problem here:
    http://www.nissanhelp.com/Bulletins/Pathfinder/2005/1.htm

When I bring in my Pathfinder in next week for my 3500 mile oil change, I plan to have mine checked, along with the rattling roof problem also listed as a TSB.

Is your 2005 LE the 4WD model?
    ragpaoa,

Thanks for your reply. I have a 2004 PF LE 4WD. I have had problems with the RDS from the beginning. I've been everywhere from Portland to Boise, and Salt Lake City and it's never worked properly. It's a getting a little annoying. Will check the link you've provided. Thanks again, if you can think of anything else please let me know....
  • cml17cml17 Member Posts: 4
    HELP!!!! Bought a '01 Pathy 1 1/2 yrs ago. About 1 yr ago, the service engine soon light starting coming on intermittently. I'd start the car, it would be idling like crazy and the service engine soon light would come on (blinking). Then the idling would stop after about 5 minutes and sometimes the light would go off, usually it stayed on until I got it reset at the repair shop. Service guy says it gives the code o2 sensor, but doesn't see anything wrong. Last month it was running terribly, smoke coming out of exhaust pipe and smelled burning. Took it in, only running on 5 cylinders, so they fixed that and said the light shouldn't come on anymore. One week later, car starts idling like crazy when it is started and I'm back to where I started. Is this a common problem with "01 Pathys? Should I ignore it? Anyone else having this problem? Seems to start roughly and have the problem when my husband starts the car really 'quickly' instead of keeping the key turned for a second longer in the beginning.
  • theburdstheburds Member Posts: 5
    All, I have an 05 Pathfinder, LE, 4WD.

1) Every time I start the engine and take off, I hear a metallic twang/click immediately prior to the shift from 1st to 2nd. The noise appears to be coming from the left rear of the vehicle. It only happens on the first shift from 1st to 2nd each and every time I start the engine. It does not happen on subsequent shifts on the same trip. Insights?

2) I had the intake manifold repair done (part 14010-EA200). Though the rattling noise has gone, the engine still seems to splutter/chug a bit between 2k-3k RPM. It goes away after a few minutes of driving. It's always as smooth as silk between 1k-2k RPM. Is this normal?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    It's possible that the sound you hear is the ABS system performing a self-diagnostic.
  • maiermaier Member Posts: 1
    Well, we know that two of the oxygen sensors on our '01 Pathfinder are bad, but we don't know which ones. I would love to avoid the cost of taking it in somewhere. If I could determine which is bad, I could replace it myself and save some money. Any thoughts?
  • shek3shek3 Member Posts: 72
    i just replaced the cam sensor and the REAR two oxygen sensors.....they cost be about $100 each for the part only! But you still need to re-set the engine light and flash the computer....Nissan has made some changes(so I am told) to help prolong the life of the sensors....Flashing the computer changes some settings
  • frieberg44frieberg44 Member Posts: 33
    I hate wading through all the "old" PF posts.
  • lonestarlonestar Member Posts: 15
    Whenever I hit a hard bump/curb or deep dip in the road, I hear a "snap-like" sound that seems to emanate from the windshield on the passenger side...possibly near the dashboard. Local service dept hears the noise but is trying to pass it off as being within the realm of normalcy. Sorry, but I expect a newer SUV, especially a Nissan PF, to be tougher than that. Anyone ever heard of this? The service advisor thinks it may be coming from the plastic piece at the foot of the windshield (cover the air intake, etc.).

This is very frustrating since the vehicle is otherwise rock-solid...
  • esharpesharp Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2005 PathFinder. Is it just me, or does that thing just suck up the gas? I don't know guys, please tell me I'm not the only one!
  • scpettitscpettit Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2001 Pathfinder and I am having my first problem...granted a very small one. How do I replace the turn signal bulb?! I realize this is a lame question but for all my other cars it was a no brainer.

I tried removing the light casing but I could only get the top loose so I still couldn't get at the bulb.

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    If you have your owners manual, it should give instructions on replacing bulbs. Havn't had to replace any bulbs on my 2001 PF LE...due for new tires though!
  • keeferbkeeferb Member Posts: 81
    I can't complain yet. With only 500 miles I'm averaging 18.5 mpg according to the trip computer. This is about 80% hwy miles using 87 octane. I'm assuming that will only get better after a few thousand miles. I drive it pretty conservatively so I'm sure that helps quite a bit. I have yet to stomp on the pedal(as tempting as it is).
    lonestar,

I have had that same noise come from the windshield/dashboard area on my 2004 PF LE. It seems to occur when it's colder outside and I hit a bump and doesn't occur so much in warmer weather. Don't know exactly where it comes from but I agree, it's frustrating.
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Why is the horn on the 05 PF so wimpy? Anything you can do to change it out? Trucks are supposed to have strong sounding horns. This one sounds like a motorcycle horn.
    I'm averaging around 16.5 in the city and 19.5 on the freeway. Try to keep the RPM down when not needed. The gas pedal is extra sensitive. If you are driving on the local roads around 40 miles/hr, you just have to keep your foot on it. If pressed harder the RPM remains high resulting in lower mileage
  • zzr12zzr12 Member Posts: 18
    I also own a 04 LE with the same sound when it's colder out. However the sound has almost disappeared in the last 2-3 months. Maybe your will work it's way out as well.
  • xe964wdxe964wd Member Posts: 1
    I have read a few of the torque converter related replies to this problem and how it is normal undert certain conditions for this to happen under load but....I have this problem with my 96xe and it is getting progressively worse. Dealer hooked it up and drive tested and did experience the problem but saw no code. It happens now without Overdrive engaged. This vehicle rarely sees any inclines (florida)and never tows anything.I have seen a few other owners with this problem in forums but never a solution or a successful cure....Help Please before I seek help form a money sucking tranny shop
  • clm8clm8 Member Posts: 56
    I had the same sticky gas pedal problem with my '00 Path LE. I did the same things you did. Its been over a week and no more sticking! Thanks for the tip, it was a very effective and simple fix.
  • opiedogopiedog Member Posts: 9
    I've got approximately the same number of miles on my 05 PF. Have you seen an improvement in gas mileage since you had the service at 3250 miles? I gotta be honest. I was expecting gas mileage similar to my old Jeep Grand Cherokee and I have been very disappointed to date. I consider myself a conservative driver and would love to average 16.5 at this point.
  • bamafamilybamafamily Member Posts: 12
    Hey All,
    I have a Carchip and about 3 weeks ago my SES light came on. The SES then went out a few days later...Yesterday it came on again, so I yanked the Carchip and took a look inside. It looks like I had a P0138 code (O2 sensor High Voltage B1S2) that lasted for about 5 days. Then yesterday (6 days later) I show a P0140 code (O2 Sensor Circuit - No Activity Detected B1S2)My questions are this:
    1)I know about NTB2006 for the ECM reprogram Should I have that done first with a P0140 code?
    2)Is it difficult to replace this B1S2 sensor?? Where might I find some instructions for doing it??
    3)I have seen where people just replace all the sensors at 1 time..Comments??

thx
    bama
    zzr12,

The snapping sound is improving, perhaps because the weather is warming. Let me ask you another question since you also have an '04 PF LE...Is your RDS function on you radio working properly? Mine does not and the prob has been labeled as "a normal characteristic of the vehicle" by the dealer. I think this reply is a poor one however they insist that it's normal for the RDS not to work properly on the '04. Any feedback would be most helpful....
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    Check this site out.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2002/NTB02-006.htm

I had the same codes twice last year. They went away after few weeks. I did not do anything and the SES light has yet to return. I blame it on bad gasoline from rural stations.

If you still want to replace then you can rent out an O2 sensor socket. Or, if you are brave just use a wrench. They are easily accesible from the bottom. Remove, install, and then route wires to front of engine and plug in the wire into harness. They are color coded either red or blue.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    I'm going through the same problem. That TSB says to replace the O2 sensor first, then reprogram the ECM. I tried to get the service place to just reprogram the ECM & they wouldn't. They said to let them replace the O2 sensor or do it myself & bring in proof that it had been replaced & then they would reprogram it. I've heard rumors but nothing definitive as to what the reprogram does. Anyone know for sure? Also, I would only replace the sensor that's showing bad, but I'm not a mechanic. They are very expensive from Nissan & even worse when I got a price from Autozone. I have found them cheaper at various places online but not yet ordered them. Also, LBINH what does an O2 sensor socket do for you? It looks like mine could be replaced easily with a wrench but I haven't tried yet.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I have a 2001 PF LE orginal owner. Since day of purchase I've always have used the recommended fuel, premium. I know it's only a recommendation and not required. For those of you having the 02 sensor problems, are you using regular fuel primarily? I have not experienced any 02 sensor problems. Could using the recommended fuel be a good thing? Just curious.
  • zzr12zzr12 Member Posts: 18
    I've NEVER had a problem with the radio. My truck is 13 months old now and I have traveled through numerous cities in Canada without a problem, YET!
  • blawsonblawson Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2002 SE and have used nothing but premium name brand fuel since day one. I change the between 3000 and 3500 miles. My SES light is getting a little more frequent. I used to think it was fuel, but not anymore. The light is now coming on every 3000 miles or so. At some point it will probably stay on and I will have to go to the dealer.
    It is specially designed to stabalize and protect the delicate O2 sensor during install and removal. Check with Autozone. I replaced O2s before with little problems (hard to get to in Ford Taurus SHO) but not on the my pathy though. I just used a wrench.

Like I stated before. Last year, I had the SES light O2 DTC codes but I left them alone and used good gas and they turned and remained off ever since. Are there poor milage and performance problems with your rig with the SES light?
    I'm still averaging between 16.2 and 16.0. Some times the computer system reads 17.4, this was very recent, I have to wait and see. No significant improvement after first service
    It is funny that people mention gas concerning this problem...My last 2 tanks have been Medium grade gas from a Generic gas station due to the gas hike...Tomorrow, I will be filling up with Premium from my Sams Club station and then I will use the Carchip to reset the light...Then I will see if it comes back on....

thx for the comments
    Mark
    Mine is a 2001 Nissan PF that has never had anything but premium & I'm very anal retentive as far as the maintenance too. Still have a bad O2 sensor with a little over 60,000 miles. The fact that the TSB calls for a ECM reprogram makes me wonder if they are changing something in the programming that will prolong the life of the O2 sensors. I don't know what exactly the ECM reprogram does though.
  • johnny_ringojohnny_ringo Member Posts: 30
    I've started to hear the same noise on my truck as you describe. Slight twang like a spring on initial shift from 1st to 2nd. The sound does not repeat until the engine is shutoff and started again. I'm going to have the dealer take a look when they fix the intake manifold issue.
    If I reset the SES light, and the O2 sensor is really bad, I am assuming the light will come back on?? or will it stay off even if the sensor is bad since I told it to go off?? How long would it take to come back on??

thx
    Mark
    I think it takes about three condition triggers for the light to come on or off. I am not quite sure but a "condition" for a O2 cycle is driving 50 MPH and then back down and then back up to 50 MPH. It is probably more complicated than that. You will have to do a search for condition cycles cause i am not sure. Check with www.nissanhelp.com. Takes me about 1 tank and/or three weeks after good gas for the SES light to turn off.

If you are not experiencing performance problems then I suggest hanging in there.
  • dannykadannyka Member Posts: 115
    Hi all,

I'm having a problem with my '99 PF wiper control. Sometimes when I turn it on, it won't turn off. I'd have to switch it on and off (and between intermittent, on, and fast) a few times before it would respond. I had taken it in before and the service place (not dealer) replaced the switch control and it worked for awhile. Now it's back. I can't believe it's a bad switch AGAIN! To me it sounds more like a loose wire or a short. What do you think? Would a wire work its way loose again after a couple of months, or could the switch start going bad again so soon?

Thanks,
    --Dan
    I read somewhere that the ECM reprogram expands the O2 Sensor test parameters so it is less sensitive. i don't think it has anything to do with prolonging the life of the O2 sensor.

How long have you had your O2 codes? Notice milage decreases? Try switching to another gas brand?

I have the '01 LE with 58k also.
  • gotgas1gotgas1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi. I have a 97 Pathfinder that I keep in great shape. It gets terrible fuel consumption. 16.2 Litres per 100 km or 14.5 Miles per gallon. The vehicle is in excellent mechanical shape, recently tuned up, and had a fuel system flush done by Snap On tools demo machine. Has anyone else ran into this problem? Any remedies?
    I reset my SES light & stored codes & mine came back after something like 1 tank of gas/3 weeks... like what LBINH said. I can't remember exactly. I'm assuming I truly do have a bad sensor though since it tripped again. There are some tests that can be performed on the sensor to see if it is bad so I may try that once I pull it. Also, I had heard the same thing about the test parameters being widened with the ECM reprogram. But, I don't know if that's true or just something somebody on here rationalized. Anybody have a good contact at Nissan they can ask? I haven't noticed any difference in mileage or performance with the codes, which is consistent with what the service manual says. Interestingly, the service manual says "Under normal conditions the heated oxygen sensor 2 (rear) is not used for engine control operation." It sounds like the 2 forward sensors are used & the 2 rear sensors are only a backup if one of the front sensors fail.
  • rusted1rusted1 Member Posts: 1
    2005 pathfinder 10,000 miles 4mos old and RUST is running out of rear tailgate and also both rear inner fenders where doors meet. also transfer case bolt came loose . this is a lady driven highway vehicle not used off road. :sick:
    I have not reset the light yet..but I did switch to Premium gas and the light has been on for about 1 week....

Not sure if I should wait it out to see if it goes out, or reset it and see if it comes back on....
    (glass half full or half empty)..LOL

bama
    Well..looks like a mute point on my choice for resetting the SES light myself via my Carchip.......I got into my PF this morning and the SES light was out...I will be calling Nissan this morning to schedule the reprogram of the ECM so the O2 tolerance is a little widened....

Mark
    Congrats! Let us know how that works out and what exactly the ECM reprogram does.

:shades:
  • cselborcselbor Member Posts: 2
    the SES light came on earlier this year on my 2001 PF SE. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the O2 sensor. A couple of weeks later SES is back on again. A couple of weeks after that, back off again. Stumps me.
    I also use Premium fuel. I used the midgrade for awhile (maybe cause of O2?) and felt the engine dragging. I've since switched to a synthetic blend motor oil and back to premium fuel and noticed a nice change in my gas mileage.