Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Iluvmy01, I also have an '01 PF, and it's well known that the intake timing sensors are problematic on this engine. I'm not 100% certain, but I believe they are a "hall effect" type sensor that detects the position of the camshaft, and helps the engine computer decide when to open and close the intake valves. The engine has 2 intake timing sensors, one for the left bank of cylinders and one for the right bank. Code P1145 refers to the right bank. Just had mine replaced for the second time @ 95K miles several weeks ago. Dealer charged $75 for the part, and $153 for labor. The first time it happened (@ 59K miles), the dealer (a different one) charged $112 for the part and $145 labor. I also had to have the sensor for the left bank changed at 87K miles. The left bank sensor costs roughly double, not sure why. There have been so many reported problems with these sensors in the 50-60K mile range that one would think Nissan would extend the warranty on them. There is obviously some kind of design or production flaw with the sensors. A number of people have reported wide variations in pricing for these repairs form different dealers, you might want to shop around. One other thing, when I had the most recent replacement done, the dealer told me the likely cause was engine sludge, and tried to sell me an engine flush for $130. I think they were merely trying to pad their profits...I've changed my oil religiously every 3K miles and do mostly highway driving. The same dealer told me I needed new front brake pads, but a few days later I checked them myself...there is plenty of thickness left on the pads! Despite the repeated intake valve sensor replacements, I'm still very pleased with my truck. In 95K miles I've had virtually no other problems, except for the well documented wheel balancing problem which the Hunter 9700 balancing machine does solve.
  • mtrombl6mtrombl6 Member Posts: 2
    The problem seems to last only a short time, 1-2 days. Then it runs fine. I just spent $92 on the o2 sensor and three days fixing the snapped studs on the exaust manifolds ( replaced the cast iron manifolds with pacesetter headers ) so i'm not prepaired to pay another $90 for a guess. I will more than likely change it the next time it happens. I did try removing the vacuum hoses on the egr and it is the same sputtering.
  • bimmer4mebimmer4me Member Posts: 266
    I've had the same problems with sensors (ses light) appearing it's ugly face. Here's a interesting article from Car and Driver in regards to types of fuel we may use may be the problem.

http://www.caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=27&article_id=9752&page_number=1
  • jackejacke Member Posts: 1
    my service engine light went on a few days ago and I got it checked at Jiffy Lube....they dont know what the code means though. Thought that maybe you might be able to help. The code is P0021 camshaft position Actor A-bank 2 timing over advan.... i have no idea what that means. any help would be appreciated. thanks
  • 01path301path3 Member Posts: 2
    My '01 Pathfinder with 58,000 miles has the following issues:

Auto (4WD): When turning to Auto, the dash shows 4H and it feels as though 4WD engages on hot sunny summer days. Dealer claims it's suppose to.

Hissing noise: When I turn off the engine, a hissing noise emits from vehicle for several minutes.

Cruise control: Accelerates and decelerates within seconds of each other on level surface.

Sometimes smokes on startup.
  • 01path301path3 Member Posts: 2
    Forgot to ask - has anybody had issues with 4WD in auto, or a hissing noise, or cruise control or smoking on startup on occasion?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Auto mode should light four wheel lights on the dash. It will engage when you slip the rear tires, for example, starting out on wet pavement with a heavy foot. It should not affect steering (heavy steering, common with locked 4WD). You'll notice when you switch it to "4 High", the transfer case light will light, indicating it is locked. You can use "4 High" to compare handling if you suspect it's locked in 4WD in the "Auto" mode. You will also notice when you have the vehicle in "Auto" mode and stop (put vehicle in "Park"), the vehicle will "lurch" slightly after a few seconds, and sometimes it will do this when you shut the vehicle engine off. This is the clutch disengaging, and is also normal. "Auto" mode shouldn't be used unless you suspect slippery conditions. You will get better mileage in 2WD.

When you shut off the engine the fuel tank is often pressurized. It releases pressure through the carbon canister, drivers side by the rear tire. This can take up to a minute on my vehicle. Some vehicles whistle, some moan, some hiss. It depends on the valve in the pressure release system.

"Smokes on startup"? Are we talking of condensation here (no smell)? Does it smell like oil smoke (valve guide seals worn)? Does it smell like coolant burning (head gasket leak)?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Smoke on startup: How much smoke, what color is it (black, white, or bluish-white), and how long does it last? If the smoke is white, it's normal. It's just steam created during the combustion process. If it's black, that means too much fuel is being injected while the engine is cold. If it's bluish-white, that means you're burning oil, or that oil has seeped into the combustion chamber (possibly through the valve guides) while the engine has been sitting. It would be very uncommon for this to occur on an engine with such low mileage, though.

Hissing noise: What has the ambient temperature been when you hear this noise, and where does it sound like the noise is coming from? It could be the AC system depressurizing (normal).
  • tapndarockstapndarocks Member Posts: 1
    i have a 02 pathfinder and my friend was helping me with my wires for my tv ...so some reason...when we had put the dash back the. speedometer stoped working all the rest of the dash works fine i was wondering what pplug out of the 3 in the back is the speedometer...and what wire is the speedometer....on the plugg...i need to replace or maybe move around for it to work again?...please contacnt me with info on the wires maybe a diagram of the wires and what is what? im going crazy not knwoing how fast im going. thanksssssss
  • kenkroskenkros Member Posts: 1
    I have a 93 XE with the same thing. I recently replaced the battery and the alternator. After replacing the alternator, it seemed to get better but is back again; battery is dead after sitting for a week. I traced the battery current with an ammeter and found a 100ma drain coming thru the alternator. Not sure if this means that the alternator is bad, or if it is typical. Any confirmation from others would be appreciated before I replace the alternator (again).
  • iluvmy01iluvmy01 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info. my dealer is trying to charge me 261.45 for these repairs, I will check with another dealer in the area before having them done. Also thanks for the explanation.
  • cindym3cindym3 Member Posts: 2
    I'm having to fork out $500+ to replace my 2 intake sensors at a Houston Nissan dealership!! I can't get my '02 Pathfinder inspected until the SES light stays off. I think Nissan has the sensors set so sensitive that the slightest build up causes them to default - what a money maker for Nissan !!!
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    I will have to agree with that. I too have SES lights come on occasionally and then go off by themselves.
  • sheena4uksheena4uk Member Posts: 2
    I have 53,000K on my '01 Pathfinder. I live in Virginia Beach VA - made an appt. at the dealer (Hall Nissan) for this past Friday - ended up getting a suggestion from yahoo groups site to take it into Advanced Auto for a FREE diagnostic test. This is where I found out the Code. It states P1145, Fuel Metering. The Advanced Auto tech reset the SES light and I went on my way. Cancelled the appt for the SES light at the dealer but still had to get the state inspection - they call it a "free" state inspection, but since the Pathy has been out of warranty - they ALWAYS seem to find "something" to make the "free" state in inspection not so free. Last time it was the tires - THIS TIME - belts. Said my belts were cracked. I find that hard to believe and should have ask them if I could see them, shame on me. Anyway, $170 later I obtained my "free" state inspection, with replacement belts.
    The SES light has not came back on and unless it does, I'm not too worried about it. Refuse to take it back to the Nissan Dealer - feel that the minute I walk in there they're out to get me.
  • sheena4uksheena4uk Member Posts: 2
    I had the ERR2 code about 1 month ago. Found a place on the internet
    http://www.johnson-electronic.com/pages/1/index.htm Excellent customer service, had my CD player back in my Pathy within 2 weeks. $225. The dealer couldn't even give me an estimate! Did you fix your's yourself? If so, how did you fix it?
  • 89pathfinder89pathfinder Member Posts: 1
    truck runs great for the most part but started havin intermitent problem after installing new Air Iduction Valve (filter) was puffin moisture out the tail, now puffin black...could it be just the o2 sensor or AIV.Help. when the truck is running good it is running good...when its bad, stalls out and cant afford to just dump the gas through...( oh ya not oil problem, can smell the richness of unburnt fuel.) Need some insight on Air Induction Valve...
    thx, need the help
  • smithmiscsmithmisc Member Posts: 2
    I have an '02 Pathfinder with 20,000 miles. Sometimes when I put the key in, it won't turn at all, it's like the car isn't recognizing the key or something. If I keep putting the key in and out for a few minutes, eventually the car recognizes the key and it starts without any problems. This happens maybe 1 in every 20 times I start the car and happens when the car is parked on flat terrain as well as steep terrain. I think there is something wrong with the connection between the programmed key and the starting mechanism. Thanks for the help.
    I just checked the "ESM" (Electronic Service Manual). As I suspected, even without key recognition, the engine should crank. The computer just will not fire the fuel injectors (Vehicle Immobilizer).

If your Path. is a manual, check the clutch switch. The clutch pedal must be all the way down and activate the switch to supply ground to the ignition switch before the starter will engage.

If your Path. is an automatic, check the "Neutral/Park" switch. It must supply ground to the ignition switch for the starter to engage.
    With the key removed, the steering column will lock, but only at certain locations. The ignition cylinder will physically not rotate if there's too much tension preventing it from moving. Wiggling the steering wheel back and forth while turning the key usually gets it done.

Try it yourself. Turn off the truck and remove the key. Now, turn the steering wheel by hand (it will be really hard) until it locks. It could take up to 1/2-turn of the wheel. Feel how much tension there is against the locking mechanism?

Now insert the key and try to start the truck. It won't budge, right? Turn the steering wheel to release the tension on the igniton lockout and the key turns easily!
  • atuttleatuttle Member Posts: 1
    I found this old complaint (#367) about the powerdown windows. Mine does the same thing. Driver's side rolls up then comes back down about 1/4 of the way. Nissan has fixed it twice only to have it return again. Any others with this problem or a solution? Thanks.
  • pathfindermikepathfindermike Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone send part of their service manual that tells how to change the coolant in a 2001 Pathfinder. I am having problems finding the two engine drain plugs and I am about to go on a trip. Thanks much for any help.
  • smithmiscsmithmisc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to pathstar1 and xplorx4 for the helpful tips!
  • caleb2caleb2 Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 94 PATHFINDER AND IT RUNS BEAUTIFULLY IF YOU CAN GET IT TO START! SOMETIMES IT STARTS UP NO PROBLEM, BUT OTHER TIMES I HAVE TO PUMP THE GAS WHILE CRANKING AND EVENTUALLY IT STARTS. BEFORE IT WOULD START IF I WOULD TURN THE KEY BACK OFF AND RETRY SOMETIMES TAKING MULTIPLE TRYS BUT IT IS VERY UNPREDICTABLE. IVE PUT MANY PARTS ON TO CURE PROBLEM BUT NO LUCK! ANY THEORY OUT THERE WOULD BE GREATLY HELPFUL!
  • roadrunner70roadrunner70 Member Posts: 241
    see a recent issue of popular mechanics magazine. they did a story on frozen spark plugs.
  • 96trk96trk Member Posts: 2
    PROBLEM SOLVED! I removed the heat shield on the exhaust, and the manifold was cracked. The O2 sensor was trying to over compensate for the air being drawn into the crack, so once it was hot, it ran lousy and blew blake smoke like crazy.
    Hope this helps someone else too.
  • dakota11dakota11 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone had this problem with the Bose 6 disc changer?
    When I turn my Pathfinder off while playing a CD, the CD will continue to play. No sound comes out because the stereo/tuner is off, but it will continue to run (and change to the next CD when in "all" mode). Noticed this the other day when I got in my car and the CD I was just listening to had advanced to a later song. When I turn the car back on, I have to turn the stereo off and then back on to get the sound back. Obviously the CD player is getting power when it shouldn't be. When I turn the stereo off before shutting down the car or turn the car off in AM/FM mode, the disc number lights will stay on, but the CD won't continue to play.
    Any help/guidance would be appreciated. I just had this refurbished/rebuilt a few months back, and it is covered under warranty, but I wanted to see if there was something obvious I am missing before I have to pull it out and be without if for a few weeks...
    Thanks.
  • dmonizdmoniz Member Posts: 15
    Hi John,

I just bought this same vehicle for my son and had the same problem. Even though it drove fine from the dealership I bought it from in RI, I took it to my own mechanic in Mass. He found the timing was off by 10 degrees. No idea how that happened since it was fine all the time I test drove it and for a week or two after we took delivery. My mechanic also found the tranny was overfilled and drained it down to a normal level. Once again, there were no shifting problems or stalling for the first few weeks. With the timing accurate and the tranny fluid corrected, the truck runs great. Hope this helps.

Dave
  • burdabitburdabit Member Posts: 5
    Hi

I have an 02 Pathy SE with 82K miles that recently began consuming 1-2 qts of oil every 3000 miles. This seems like a lot. Dealer shrugs it off to high mileage. Are other people adding oil between changes and if so, how much?

Thanks
  • sandra3sandra3 Member Posts: 2
    95 Path...88K miles...overheated...mechanic replaced water pump and timing belt for $600...when he put coolant back in, he said head gaskets are blown...need new motor and suggested getting one from junk yard...repairs start at $1500...I have 2 small kids on 1 income, and don't have money to spend, so I need to know if I should sell it AS IS, or let it sit in my driveway for 3 months until I can save up enough money. HELP
  • dmonizdmoniz Member Posts: 15
    Hello,

My opinion is to sell it as is. If you get a junkyard motor, there's no guarantee that one will be okay and troublefree. If you try to sell it on ebaymotors or through your local paper, I'm sure you'll get offers. Letting it sit for any extended period is not good for it either. That can cause problems.

Good luck.
  • sandra3sandra3 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you, dmoniz...i appreciate your advice...I'll check out ebaymotors.
  • 65gto65gto Member Posts: 1
    Just got a close out on an 04 Pathy, and really love everything about it except the wind noise around the front pillar at speeds above 45. Anyone else have this problem, or is it because I immediately installed window shades (the ones that install over the top of the exterior of the windows) so I could leave the windows cracked open when the car is parked. Never had them cause wind noise on my other rides. Thanks for any feedback.
  • ocbrad1ocbrad1 Member Posts: 2
    Goat, I've got an '01 SE, and I've got a ton of wind noise around the A pillars. My cruising at 85-90 doesn't help, but I don't have the shades. I would think it is just a design issue. For some reason I remember reading tests from the car mags from back in 01 when the 3.5 was introduced, where the writers noted wind noise. I know yours is fairly new, but be sure to check the window seals for wear and tear.
  • ocbrad1ocbrad1 Member Posts: 2
    My second post here. I've got a 2001 SE 3.5 2wd with the 5mt. I love the vehicle, it hauls :) , handles very well for an SUV :D , and has an outstanding interior :shades: . My problem is clutch life. I just rolled past 130,000 miles, and I'm looking at having to put a new clutch in AGAIN! I did the clutch at 75k, and it's starting to slip again. I've been driving sticks since I was 16 (I'm 34 now), and I've never had a problem like this. My other clutches (Mazda 626 Turbo, Honda Civic, Acura Integra) have all gone past 100k. My Pathie's life (unfortunately) has been mostly freeway, and early I had to deal with LA/OC stop and go. Shortly after replacing the clutch the first time, though, I moved from OC to San Diego and my commute is much smoother. Still a load of freeway, but very little stop and go. Has anybody else out there noticed extreme clutch wear? Next vehicle will be automatic (drove an '05 LE...sweeeeet), but I'm too upside down due to mileage to swap out at this time. The clutch has to happen...I'm just wondering if 65k-75k is an appropriate clutch life on a Pathie. Thanks.

2nd question, I'm thinking about adding Sirius (gotta get Howard Stern for the GF), but I've heard rumors that Sirius' west coast coverage is kind of spotty. Anybody from metro So Cal that can confirm or deny? Thanks again.
  • autumnbautumnb Member Posts: 3
    Oh my gosh! We have just been through a nightmare with our '01 LE Pathfinder. The speedometer began working sporadically so my husband took in to the dealer we purchased from. They said it would cost $900 to replace the whole gauge unit. He then took it to an experienced Nissan mechanic who ran diagnostics and said the same thing so we let him do it. No sooner did we drive off the lot when it stopped working again. The mechanic contacted his old buddies at Nissan and they decided it was a sensor problem. Then they said the car had no sensor. Then they said there was a short in the wiring harness. Then the mechanic decided it was bigger than him so he just took the car to his former Nissan dealership and left it there. They decided that the car DID have a bad sensor and ordered a new one but received the wrong part and had to reorder. Another $1200 and 23 days later I have my car back. I am beside myself. We cannot get the money back for the original part because we didn't go through an authorized Nissan dealer. Now that I look around, I'm wondering if this shouldn't be a recall item. Please, anyone else that has had this problem, speak up!!
    See my message #1613. Good luck.
    See my message #1613. Good luck.
  • ftdftd Member Posts: 2
    What is considered the right and left sides when replacing O2 sensors? I have Googled and searched and read through tons of forums, yet I can not find this explained. Either I just missed the explaination somewhere, or I am not searching well enough.

Having read through this forum, I figure I probably have a bad sensor. MIL light was on, I had it cleared, I refuled, put some Techron concentrate in, but the light came back on in about 7 startups. Autozone read the codes stored in my ECM to be P0158 and P0159, both for rear O2 sensor (Sensor 2 Bank 2). But is that right or left when it comes to ordering a replacement? I would definitely like to replace the sensor my self to reduce the cost, and then see if I can have the dealer reprogram the ECM under the 80,000 Mi warranty.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • toad517toad517 Member Posts: 2
    I'm towing a 3200lb boat and have severe sag at the back of the vehicle (to the point of being very dangerous). The tongue weight is fine and the 3200lbs is the total weight of the boat and trailer. I was told that a product called Timbren will solve this problem and was wondering if anyone out there has experience with this product or if they have any other suggestions.
  • tsheptshep Member Posts: 2
    I too have been adding oil and am not happy about that. I have a 02 with 63 K on it, I started adding oil between charges around 35K. I called two dealers, one said that because the VQ engine is an overhead cam, the oil stays on top of the engine. The other dealer had no clue, and wanted to do a leak down test. I use Mobil 1 5w-30 and I add about a quart every four to five weeks.
    Would be interesting to see if other Nissan cars/trucks using this same engine are having the same issues.
  • pathmompathmom Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 93 XE V6 and took it to the CAA. for a check. Was told the clutch is slipping. I can't tell anything. It seems normal to me. No problem going up hill, accelerating, shifting etc. I don't want to change it until I HAVE to. Obviously not to the point where it can't be driven. But it is really expensive job and I just paid for the truck. Oh, it has almost 200,000 Kilometers. Wondering if anyone can shed some light on once the clutch begins to slip, how fast does it deteriorate? Any insight would be appreciated.
    The "handedness" is as the driver experiences it. In other words, in North America, the left side is the drivers side.
  • timing2timing2 Member Posts: 5
    I just purchased a 2002, and plan on pulling a 4000 boat
    a couple of miles twice a year.

How do you find the PF handles the 3200 load?

Do you use 4wd low at the ramp?

In you case, have you measured tongue weight?
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Bank 2 means it is one of the 2 rear O2 sensors. Interestingly, the rear sensors are not used at all to control fuel input unless one of the front bank 1 sensors fail. If a bank 1 & bank 2 sensor failed you would go to a full rich mixture & your mileage would suck. But as long as this is the only one out you won't see any effect. Sensor 2 is the one on the left or driver's side. I just replaced this sensor without too much trouble. Don't buy from dealer or Autozone for $100s, I bought from www.bosch4less.com for much less and this is the same OEM part. Unplug the harness connector under the hood & pull the clips loose that hold the cable in place. Unthread the sensor using a wrench. You won't need an O2 sensor socket for this one because there is room to access it with a wrench. Once removed apply anti-seizing compound by brushing it onto a thread chaser & threading it into the socket. I priced several chasers, including the one from Nissan's tool supplier & they were really expensive. I bought one at Autozone that's labeled a spark plug thread chaser & is two sided for like $5. I can't remember the pitch & size you need & I'm not at home to check my service manual but I think Autozone only had this one chaser. After that plug the new sensor into the harness & lower it through the opening. There are clips to pop into prelocated holes along the route to keep the cable in place. This was the only hard part because the last couple of clips are a pain to reach. Finally, just thread the new sensor in & tighten it carefully. I had the dealership reprogram my ECM like you said but they wanted to see the receipt showing that I had changed the sensor because the TSB calls for this first. The $40 I spent was much better than the $100s I was quoted. Good luck.
  • aehaeh Member Posts: 1
    My '96 Pathfinder, manual, 4WD with 180K miles has begun to randomly not start. It's happened twice in about the last 6 times I've tried to start. The first time I checked under the hood (looking for what, I'm not sure) and noticed that the one battery terminal had significant corrosion, so in true kick-the-tire fashion, I knocked off the corrosion, got back in the truck and it started up like a champ. Drove directly to the auto parts store, had the battery tested and was told it was no good, so I got a new battery. Ran a couple errands last night, started up with no problem. Started this morning just fine, stopped to get coffee, came out and wouldn't start. Turned the key again, wouldn't start, did this a few times, still wouldn't start. Sat there a few minutes wondering if I'd just replaced a perfectly good battery... then turned the key and started up like a charm. When I turn the key and it doesn't start, there is no clicking and no noise like the engine is trying to turn over. All the dash lights & radio come on. It's the same result as when you turn the key and don't have the clutch in... I owned an '86 nissan pickup that had an Interlock switch that would over ride the fact that the clutch wasn't pushed in and you could still start the truck (enabling you to push start if needed). I don't see this on the '96.... any ideas if there's an equivalent on this year truck so if I get in a bind I can at least drift start? Any ideas on what the true problem may be? Thanks in advance for your help!
  • jst6jst6 Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Pathfinder goes into the Nissan body shop next Wednesday for RUST beneath the chrome strip above the rear license plate. Only have 6000 miles/9 mos. old. Anybody else seeing rust?!?!
  • unclepeteunclepete Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Path 01 and noticed a big vibration on hard take off, has anyone else had this problem and what was the cause?
  • donnymdonnym Member Posts: 2
    Doing some reading on the is board about the problem, but trying to understand what sensor it is (L/R). So it's the cam sensor that needs to be replaced, but some say it's the right side (passenger side), some say it's the left side (driver side), so I don't know which to buy (I'm going to replace it myself).
    P1140? Are you sure that's the code? How did you get the code read? I couldn't find P1140 in the service manual, either. What year is your Pathfinder?

The camshaft sensor code is P0340. See this link for all OBDII trouble codes.
  • donnymdonnym Member Posts: 2
    Yup, P1140 it is not a generic code, Nissan specific. Pulled it from the code reader directly. It's a 2001. Some sites say Bank 1 is LH, some RH that's what confusing me. Reader is from EQUUS.

P1140 Intake Valve Timing Control Position Sensor, Bank 1