Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• car21gocar21go Member Posts: 1
    New Year's Eve and it looks like my Pathfinder just developed the same problem. Clicking noise and no go. Just click, click, click, and the car is locked up in park. What did you do to get it back in service? I hope it is only a battery. Thanks and Happy New Year
    Pathfinder21
  • codyjamcodyjam Member Posts: 1
    We have the same problem except that we can let off the gas and it it will shift into second. It all works fine after that untill you stop again. Did you get any information on the rotation sensor?

Thanks,
    Codyjam
  • acbriskeracbrisker Member Posts: 4
    Hey All,

I've owned the Pathy since this summer ... other than HIGH gas prices, and a new fuel pump, she's been running well.

However, within the past few weeks, there's been a slight hesitation when going between 40 and 50 mph. The car is already in 4th gear/OD at this point, not sure why it's 'jumping.'

Any suggestions? The Pathy has about 82,000 miles on it right now; not sure when the last tranny flush happened ... not sure if that would help at all or not. Has this ever happened to anyone? I pray there's nothing wrong with the AT transmission.

Thank you in advance,
    Alex

PS: One piece of good news, I did get 18mpg on a recent road trip ... yeah! :P
  • rs4rs4 Member Posts: 25
    For quite some time I have this problem, when the vehicle its a pot hole or if the road is bumpy there is this weird squeaking sound coming from and around the Steering Wheel. Not sure if its coming from the underneath the hood. Driving on plain roads, there is no squeaking at all. Any HELP OR ADVICE will be very much appreciated.
  • smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    If the fuel filter has never been replaced it is past due & could cause symptoms like this. Another possibility is a bad spark plug wire. I'm sure there are a lot of other possibilities though.
  • pathfinder7pathfinder7 Member Posts: 1
    Several weeks ago my Pathfinder stopped going in reverse. There was no noise associated with the problem although the sound of the transmission engaging when I used to put it in reverse is gone. The two mechanics Ive taken it to hust want to pull out the transmission and overhaul it. Could it be a simpler problem like the shift linkage and if so how do I check to see if that is really the problem? Has anyone else had a similar problem?
  • acura_tlacura_tl Member Posts: 38
    My 2005 Pathfinder has the exact same problem - I have also noticed that the squeaking is more when the car is a little warm. When I start from home early morning, the noise is not noticeable.
    I feel the noise maybe be coming from the shockers. I have already taken it to the service center twice and they have not been able to fix it.
    Please share your experience.
  • cowboy88cowboy88 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone had to preplace the any of the fuel lines on thier Pathfinder? I saw fuel leaking from the front passenger side. I took it in to a local repair shop. They did not want to do the repair as they thought only way it could be done properly is at the dealer. There seems be no rust on the lines. However, it is leaking and leaking bad. Has anyone ever had to have this repair and how much did it cost? Thanks for your help. :cry:
  • eclipse2eclipse2 Member Posts: 64
    I have the same Problem with my 2005 Titan! it come's from around the steering area and it is making me crazy.. I only have about 2000 miles on it. I told my wife not to buy the 2005 pathfinder but she got it and now I waiting to see if it has the same problem. :mad:
  • bigd33bigd33 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 01 LE Pathfinder and I'm planning to replace the factory Bose/Clarion stereo as I have lost confidence in the reliabilty of the system.

I plan to replace the factory system with Pioneer FH-P4200MP.(http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4043_15- 2869141,00.html)

Has anyone replaced there Clarion stereo with an after market one?

Were you able retain full use of the buttons on your steering wheel? If so, how was this done?

Was it difficult removing the factory unit?

Thanks,
    bigD33
  • 01pf_se01pf_se Member Posts: 10
    my pathy makes a weird noise when i turn the wheel left and it's in reverse.it only happens in the situation.i dont know what it is or what it could be.anyone?the noise sounds like its coming from near the front passenger side tire area.
  • jeremy_kjeremy_k Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an 02 Pathfinder SE 4X4. The front brakes shudder once in a while (feels and sounds like something rubbing). Is this normal? I checked all the brakes and aside from the front caliper brackets not being lubed everything looks like new. Also, When you put it in reverse the rear end hunches down. My cousin has a 00' Xterra that does the same thing. Is this due to the rear drums and front discs? What's the deal with the sound of an exhaust leak up front? I saw there was a TSB on it. What's the cheapest way to fix?

-Jeremy
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Shuddering brakes are often a sign of warped rotors. It is fairly common to warp the rotors of Pathfinders. They are a heavy vehicle.

When you put it in reverse with the brakes on the rear drops a little. It will rise when you put it in drive. Has to do with suspension geometry and the rear diff.

An exhaust leak either sounds like a hiss or can sometimes just sound like a loud exhaust note. I don't think there is any cheap way to fix. Sometimes the exhaust headers crack and must be replaced. Sometimes it's just a joint that has come loose. Repair requires removal of a lot of stuff (it's tight in there) so it isn't inexpensive.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    When do the brakes shudder? While stopping on slippery surfaces? If so, what you're feeling is the ABS kicking in. Normal behavior.

An exhaust leak sounds like tapping or clicking that varies with engine speed, usually louder when the engine is cold. The cheapest way to fix it is to find the cause of the leak and replace the leaking parts yourself. Otherwise, have a shop look at it.
  • djliquiddjliquid Member Posts: 1
    anyone else have something like this? I have a similar thing and it's been driving me CRAZY. I took my truck to 5 diff shops. I have replaced with drilled/ slotted rotors up front. Replaced transmission. I have a lil chatter in my transfer case which I made an appointment for. My truck is making some crazy noises when I try and put it in 4wd. Anyways, yeah, when I come to a stop my truck clunks. It also feels like it comes from the back. 3 diff shops checked my brakes and they seem to check fine. I put the truck in N when I stop just to see and the prob seemed to go away... of course I can't do that in real life scenario. I replaced my rear bushings which were pretty jacked up but it still happens. Any insight is greatly appreciated.
  • bigd33bigd33 Member Posts: 2
    I have an 01 LE Pathfinder and I'm planning to replace the factory Bose/Clarion stereo as I have lost confidence in the reliabilty of the system.

I plan to replace the factory system with Pioneer FH-P4200MP.(http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pna/product/detail/0,,2076_4043_15- - 2869141,00.html)

Has anyone replaced there Clarion stereo with an after market one?

Were you able to retain full use of the audio buttons located on your steering wheel? If so, how was this done?

Was it difficult removing the factory unit?

Thanks,
    bigD33
  • bojo1000bojo1000 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had to preplace the any of the fuel lines on thier Pathfinder? I saw fuel leaking from the front passenger side. I took it in to a local repair shop. They did not want to do the repair as they thought only way it could be done properly is at the dealer. There seems be no rust on the lines. However, it is leaking and leaking bad. Has anyone ever had to have this repair and how much did it cost? Thanks for your help. :cry:
  • burdabitburdabit Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I have an 02 pathy with the exhaust problem you mention. It was brought to my attention by the dealer who said there is a "kit" that fixes it and is $150 installed. This was confirmed by my local mechanic who used to work at a Nissan dealer. The dealer also told me that "it is what it is" and will not get worse but I think it's starting to get louder so I'll probably have the work done soon. I have 91K miles.
  • tredntredn Member Posts: 2
    Message #7969 Re: 2005 pathfinder rattles and squeaks [05pathfinderse] by tredn Nov 15, 2005 (8:50 pm)
    Replying to: 05pathfinderse (Aug 15, 2005 9:13 am)

Had same annoying squeak. Have had Le model for almost 1 year. In shop 7 times just for this one squeak. I found my issue and let Nissan know.

About two inches in on either side of the top of the Rad is a 2 inch wide bracket holding it in place. These brackets each have 2, 1/4inch high ribs. One from each side is rubbing directly against a plastic rivet that is under the hood holding in place a long strip of rubber in turn holding some sponge material to insulate or protect the front underside of the hood from the body of the engine compartment, or RAD in this instance. I just placed 2 small sponges over the brackets on the Rad and the squeaking went away. 7 trips to Nissan dealer and they could not find it, even when they had for almost 1 week once.

Would only occur after about 20 minutes of driving, or after it warmed up. I assume this then caused the RAD to expand and raised the brackets holding it in place on the top and rubbed the underside of the hood where the plastic rivets were.

Hope this helps
  • fischerjonesfischerjones Member Posts: 3
    I just got my spark plugs and fuel filter changed,(which you're supposed to do at a dealer, but I am 2 hours from a dealer) and my service engine light is on. I called the garage where I got the spark plugs changed and he immediately said it was the oxygen sensor. I think that's something he should've checked after fixing my spark plugs. So will it balance itself out or am I going to have to get it fixed? OR could it be something else?
  • jburnsjburns Member Posts: 2
    I had the exact same thing happen with my 2001 (96,000 miles) when the coils and plugs were replaced about 4 months ago. The ses codes say it's 2 oxygen sensors on the right bank. The vehicle runs great and the gas mileage seems a little better than before the new plugs/coils. I'd think if 2 oxygen sensors were bad it would hurt the gas mileage. Anybody have any insight on this issue?
    The computer is set a little too sensitive. The dealer can install an update in the computer to decrease the sensitivity, but it would probably cost you around $100, as it's no longer on warrenty. I had my ses light come on 5 km after a fillup on the highway. Once I used up that tank of fuel and refilled at another station the light went out. It was on for two weeks or so. I just chalked it up to a bad tank of fuel. Replacing the coils/plugs improves the burning of the fuel and that would affect the O2 readings.
    Would the type of fuel make a difference with my ses light coming on right after my plugs were changed? I am using regular unleaded and sometimes unleaded with 10% ethnol.
    Would the type of fuel make a difference with my ses light coming on right after my plugs were changed? I am using regular unleaded and sometimes unleaded with 10% ethnol.
    It was probably the plug change that did it. It actually may go out after a few weeks. It's possible the new plugs have increased combustion temp. and that has loosened built up "crud" in the engine. If the light is for O2 sensors. You may also want to check the O2 sensor connectors - you may have disturbed them during the plug change. It's not the easiest vehicle to change plugs on. It could also be thread goo applied to the plugs so they don't seize. As I said, the computer is set very sensitive.

The fuel will trigger the light. I use the 10% ethanol fuel all the time (92 octane from Mohawk and Husky in Canada). My light stays off most of the time (except that one fillup in Hinton last fall).
  • elbianelbian Member Posts: 10
    I have a minor fuel leak coming from the vicinity of the fuel tank on my 1991 Pathfinder. I took it to my local Nissan dealer and was told that I have a rust hole in the top of my fuel tank. My question is, I thought all FI vehicles had pressurized fuel systems? When I remove my gas cap, pressure is definitely being released. My question is, if I did have a hole in the top of the tank, wouldn’t there be zero pressure buildup inside the tank? They priced me out at $650.00 for a tank replacement. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.
  • burdabitburdabit Member Posts: 5
    I have an 02 pathy. FWIW, when I bought it, the dealer told me to always turn the ignition off when filling the gas tank. Otherwise, he said, the SES light would come on. Prior to this vehicle, I frequently would pump gas while the engine was running (not smart maybe but it kept the heater going).
  • peabrainpeabrain Member Posts: 2
    thanks...i know it's been awhile but i just now saw your response and wanted to thank you for the help.
  • firehawk63firehawk63 Member Posts: 1
    My 01 Pathfinder gave me an SES code P1110,Intake Valce Timing CKT bank 1. I replaced the sensor and later that day got the code back. thinking that this and the bank 2 sensor may need replacing replacing together I replaced the bank 2 sensor also. things were fne for about 6 hrs, then the SES light came on again giving me the same code, only the code reader sees 2 P1110 faults stored now.
    I'm scratching my head on this one now, any suggestions on where to go from here? :confuse:
  • ancor71ancor71 Member Posts: 4
    I think I have experienced something similar, I was highway driving for about 2 hours when I slowed down at a light my pathfinder sounded like a diesel truck most notably from the passenger side of the engine. I was very loud, next morning on my way to the mechanic it slowly disapated to nothing. The other thing I remember was when I stopped my engine coughed and almost stalled. NO SES light though. Is this similar to your situation, and did you ever find out what the problem was?
    2002 Pathfinder - 117,000KM - Need help, I was highway driving for about two hours and when slowed down to stop at a light I could hear this loud clanging noise coming from the passenger side of the engine. My rpm's dropped and my vehicle almost stalled, when I reved the engine the noise did similaneously. It sounded exactly like I was driving a diesel truck. The next morning when I started my Pathy it was there again loud and clear but as I drove off it slowly diminished to nothing. Never had it looked at however, on a previous extended drive I did notice that the noise was fading in and out and the vehicle performance was sluggish.

I plugged in my OB2 reader and nothing came up except a P1058 which I've had for quite some time. The SES light has never came on which really puzzles me. Any help would be great, I am somewhat mechanically inclined and also hate going to the dealer, local dealer is a rip off.

If anyone has experienced this please advise :confuse:
  • johncase142johncase142 Member Posts: 1
    I have been trying for the past hour or so to change my drive belts. I see the belt tension pulleys, but cannot get them to budge. Can anyone tell me how to loosen the drive belts on a 2001 Pathfinder SE 3.5L?

Thanks in advance!
    What you described sounds very serious to me. Lound clanking noises that vary with engine speed are bad- very bad. You may have a broken connecting rod or other serious problem with the engine. If your engine is sluggish, it's because one of the cylinders may not be working properly.

Have a qualified mechanic provide a professional diagnosis for you, or if you have the tools, perform a compression check on all cylinders. Doesn't have to be the dealer. However, if you still qualify for the powertrain warranty, this may be covered.

Have you kept up with regular oil changes? If not, be prepared for a rather expensive repair bill.
    Hi,

I have a 3.3L, but if the 3.5L is similar to the 3.3L, the process is probably similar:
    1) loosen the nut on the front of the adjuster pulley. (Turn counter-clockwise.)
    2) Find the adjuster bolt for the accessory drive belt you're removing. On the 3.3L, they are pretty easy to find near the top front of the engine in front of the timing chain/belt cover.
    3) To loosen the belt, rotate the bolt in the appropriate direction: clockwise moves the pulley CLOSER to the bolt-head; counter-clockwise moves it FURTHER from the bolt-head.

I hope that helps.
    no warranty, and regular oil changes, would an manifold exhaust leak be possible. remember it only happened after long drives, otherwise it sounds normal except for the slight ticking noise. i've had some feed back saying it could be a leak, if what your saying is the case, would it not sound terrible constantly regardless of driving time.
  • ant210ant210 Member Posts: 2
    :sick: Been a Pathfinder/Nissan fan forever, found a 1995 Nissan Pathfinder sound engine & tranny. Dealer I bought it from said it has a bad caliper. Drove it and it wobbles like a 9 month old taking her first step(seems like left front & rear). Thinking possibly tie rods, or ball joints. I saw earlier postings about bushings wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. Also on left turns sounds like a tire rubbing(front left). Only has 101,000 please help me save her.
  • pathfinder05pathfinder05 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have any paint issues? The front bumper has black plastic that the license plate sits up againts, but the rear plate sits directly on the paint. Everytime I shut my hatch I heard my license plate rattle and I just looked under it I saw my paint bubbling in two spots. The dealer said paint is under warranty but they have to send pictures to Nissan to approve it first. Does anyone else have this problem? Please reply ASAP as my husband is flipping out :mad: Thanks
    Sounds like it needs new rear control-arm bushings, and probably new shocks, too. The centerlink and tie-rod ends may also need replacing.
  • ant210ant210 Member Posts: 2
    Surprisingly the mechanic said that ALL 4 tires were shot, and front hub bearings needed to be done, possibly just repacked.
  • mgotzmgotz Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Nissan Pathfinder SE. When I go over speed bumps, etc., the vehicle makes a squeaking sound, coming from the rear (sounds like from the rear wheel area). I've had new struts, lubricated the springs, even had the glass (upper gate) lubed. There is nothing leaking and nothing seems to be wrong with the suspension. Any help appreciated.
  • efieldsefields Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone experienced rattling in their 2005 Pathfinder. I think I've identified the rear rattles as having to do with the seat belts. And the one in the front is definitely the plastic piece around the driver door opener handle. Any ideas on how to remedy these? I love my Pathfinder but these rattles are driving me nuts! Thanks in advance.
  • willbingawillbinga Member Posts: 3
    If you want to remove the factory 6 disc then you will need a few parts to use both the factory steering wheel controls, and the power from the factory amp.

In addition to the wiring for the head unit you will need one connector for steering ($60 @ crutchfield), and one connector for the factory amp ($40 @ crutchfield) (prices may be off a bit)

As far as ease of replacement I'm sure with a little time, patience and TLC you could pop the plastic off, and find the screws the hold the assembly in the dash.

I checked into this and decided to let my unit go until I have to replace it.
  • willbingawillbinga Member Posts: 3
    I don't know if you figured this out yet...but here it is.

On the 02' models the climate control system is all digital readout. To get AC, just hit the Auto button...the care will automatically try to cool/heat the vehicle to the temp setting.

If you want to overide and just use manual fan settings then after you push auto just hit the fan switch up or down, and this will adjust the fan speed.

The controls take some getting used to due to the fact that sometimes 66 feels just right, other times you'll have meat falling off the bone and have to crank it down.

Also you may notice when accelerating with the heater on, you get blasted with extra hot air.
  • easthameastham Member Posts: 1
    I've just bought a 2006 Pathfinder. Rattles are driving me crazy. They are all comming from the rear. I think some of the rattles come from the fold down seats. I've tried putting the seats both folded up, and down, but doesn't seem to help. Seat belt buckles hang next to the plastic molding so that could also be contributing, but until i can seat back there while someone else drives I'm stumped.
  • robbyradzrobbyradz Member Posts: 4
    I'm so fed up with the mpg's i'm getting with my pathfinder that i might be trading it in for a B9 or Murano in the next few weeks. I never really had an issue with the mileage until recently. When I first bought the car, I was getting about 300miles to a quarter tank(mixed highway and city).. filled up about 16 gallons so thats about 18-19mpg... exactly what it should be. Recently i've been getting 180-200 miles to a quarter tank... 230miles if it's all highway.. never going beyond 70mph. That's anywhere between 12-15mpg. It's been slowly deteriorating. The car only has 30,000 miles on it and i bought it brand new. Regualr oil changes.. never had issues before.
    It may be due for a tune-up. (Replace air filter, spark plugs, etc.) Have you discussed these issues with your dealer?
  • pistol1pistol1 Member Posts: 1
    I love my 2005 Pathfinder but it has had it share of rattles. I think I just solved one "rattle/sqeak" that has been bugging me for about 6 months--service guy tracked it down to "body bushings". If I didn't know my car was new, I would think it was about 10 years old!! Glad to know I am not the only one with this problem.
  • jeremy_kjeremy_k Member Posts: 3
    My 02' Goes about 230-240 miles on a full tank (all city) before the light comes on. The mileage is worse here in the winter months because they put that ethanol crap in the gas. Supposedly it burns cleaner but I think it's a gimmick to jack up the cost of fuel. My supercharged V6 cougar also gets worse mileage through the winter months using this junk. Our owner's manuals say not to use more than a certain percentage of ethanol gas.
  • imacanyoneimacanyone Member Posts: 1
    bought a 2006 pathfinder se two days ago and it is already back at the dealer. the "check engine light" came on(70 miles) and it won't go above 30mph. geez.... what a way to start out as this is my first nissan!!! :( :sick: :cry:
  • acura_tlacura_tl Member Posts: 38
    "body bushings": What are these?
    What was done to fix the sqeaks? I have the same problem with my 2005 Pathfinder.
    Thanks.