Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    You might have to take a test drive with the tech so they can't deny the flare.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Excess fuel is preventing the engine from starting. It's flooded. This is due to bad sensor input to the ECU or by poor ignition. The simplest thing to do is to check your spark plugs, distributor cap and rotor, and maybe replace the plug wires.

The ignition coil may be failing/weak as well, but that' harder to diagnose.

If the ECU is getting incorrect readings from one of the sensors (such as MAF, crank angle, O2, etc.) then you'd probably get a check-engine light.
  • jbm160jbm160 Member Posts: 19
    My wife somehow broke both her upper and lower control arms on the right rear suspension of her 99.5 Pathfinder (2WD). She had it towed to the local dealer, and they want about $210 for the parts which sounds appropriate given normal dealer markup. They are also saying though that the ABS sensor was damaged and needs to be replaced for an additional $270 in parts. The kicker, though, is that they are quoting 8 hours of labor at $90/hr. I've checked with some independent repair shops and they are saying this should only take 2-3 hrs of labor. Is the dealer trying to rip us off, or is there possibly something else about the situation that would make our car take more than twice as long to repair? I don't think there's any rust or corrosion.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town and can't even look at the car. But from what my wife saw, the control arms are completely fractured. She first noticed her car "swerving" and then a few miles later she heard a huge crash and a grinding noise (I'm guessing the control arm hitting the ground?). She doesn't remember hitting anything, although the dealer states that there are impact marks on the control arms. Any ideas?
  • jfbclujfbclu Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder with 96K miles that started leaking power steering fluid a couple of months ago. I did add some commercial stop leak a couple of times and it slows the leak for a few days and then starts leaking a little more. Any ideas on how to get this problem fixed? If I need to take it to a mechanic (not dealership) for repairs, do you have an estimate as to what it might entail/cost?
  • zluverzluver Member Posts: 4
    I have a rattling noise coming from the rear undercarriage of my 2004 Pathfinder SE. Service manager has confirmed the "noise" exists but hasn't been able to isolate it. The noise almost disappears when there's weight in the back end (or when the gas tank is full) but reappears once the weight is taken away. Noise is most pronounced when driving on rough road conditions. There's no TSB on this--I've checked. Thoughts anyone?
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    On my 2001 the exhaust used to hit the trailer hitch and that caused a rattling noise. If you have a trailer hitch check out whether you can hit it by just grabbing the exhaust pipe and moving it around from the tailpipe. I solved it by adding a much stiffer support rubber.
  • tsouwhattsouwhat Member Posts: 1
    I have a '99 PF SE 4X4 with 150K mi. I just had a major tuneup and everything seemed fine. However when I turned on the AC the other day, it didn't seem to get cold. It blows air but it seems like it is just blowing the air from outside. I have never had my AC serviced. Has anyone had this problem before, do I need to have a lot of work done, do I just need a recharge, do I just need a service, and will it cost me a lot?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    not answerable. Could be minor, could cost a bundle. First thing is to see if the refrigerant is depleted, then do a leak test, then recharge, then see if the AC compressor is functioning (it won't work if there is no refrigerant in the system). If it's charged up and compressor is working and you still don't get cold air, then you have evaporator or expansion valve issues and this gets expensive labor-wise becuase you practically have to excavate to get these things out for replacement.
  • finn07finn07 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 98 Pathy and the check engine light came on. After about a week or so I noticed that the car felt like it was misfiring on one of the cylinders. I brought the car to a friend who is a mechanic and he ran a comp test on it and said that cylinder 5 was misfiring. Then he said my coolant was extremely low and smelled antifreeze under the hood. He then put a funnel in where the anti freeze goes and it started to bubble out of the funnel, and then he told me he thinks my head gasket is bad. Then on the ride home it started to get real hot, but the drive was only a 5 minute ride so i took my chance. I have a powertrain warranty on it as well. I brought it to Nissan and theyve had it since Friday and still havent told me what is wrong with it. I want to get educated on what you guys think it could be so this guy doesnt screw me, cause it sounds like he is going to. What do u think?
  • anthonypganthonypg Member Posts: 1
    1998 Nissan Pathfinder. Drives like charm, no problems until now.

Basically, drove in morning, stopped in afternoon, 2 hours later, started car, put in reverse, drove 3 feet, engine sputtered as I pressed gas pedal, engined died. Went to restart, unable to do. Full tank of gas, one hundred tries 3 hours later, finally starts and let it run for a good long while (to recharge battery from all those start tries). As soon as I press gas, engine dies. Dead again, won't start.

My neighbor (the mechanic took a look) said that when it was reruning, all sounded very good (i.e. timing belt, etc.),he tested fuses, all good, spark plugs, all good, fuel pump seems to be working (can hear it as I turn key). However, as soon as I press gas, throttle cable moves, engine dies.

Also, checked air filter, clean, new and dry.

Is it a sensor, fuel filter or fuel line problem?

Please advise?

Aloha, AnthonyPG
  • flmidwife2bflmidwife2b Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like same problem I have now finding this fuel temperture sensor seems to be no info on it. I have done some research could be linked to ecu also the fuel pressure regulator or fuel pressure gauge. There is no fixing the fuel pump only replacing it which I think is aboit $110 I have been trying to price & figure out this sensor thing I have read it act as an input to the ECU to correct fuel delivery. Let me know how it works will keep posting. It's bad enough one of the spark plugs was behind the cam shaft oh what fun that was changing. Good luck
  • ridesnowridesnow Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder with 94K miles on it and it has started leaking powersteering fluid about a month ago too. Have you had any ignition coil problems?
    I have a 2001 pathfinder with 94K miles on it...and for months now i have been having "misfiring" problems. Took it to the dealer and they said my ignition coils had to be replaced and wasnt covered under any warrantee. Ive heard other people with the same ignition coil problem and really think Nissan is trying to ignor this problem which should probably be a recall!
    Definately sounds like your control arm bushings are gone and need to be replaced - that was happening to an older pathfinder i owned.
  • xeonashxeonash Member Posts: 1
    I recently had to replace my water pump, (it cracked in half), regardless of this, it still ran fine. I replaced the water pump. Afterwards, I tried to start it and it wouldn't turn over. I have no idea why it won't start, I have tried everything I can think of, e.g. Made sure I have a spark, gas, etc. I checked my fuses, and I left off my negative battery cable overnight to reset the computer. I have tried to jump it, and still nothing. I also checked all the electrical connection in the area where I was working and everything looks fine. In changing the waterpump, all I needed to do was remove the belts, pulleys, and covers for the DOHC. I didn't mess with anything electrical, the distributer, or anything like that, so I am at a loss. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I hate not having trasportation, makes me feel like a bum.

• manachomanacho Member Posts: 2
    Does Anyone know the configuration? Which sensor is bank 2, sensor 2?
    There are a total of 4 sensors. Two in the front upstream of the cat & two in the rear downstream of the cat. Bank 2 means it is on the left side of the vehicle (driver's side). Sensor 2 means it is the rear. So, this one is on the left side after the cat. I had this one go out about a year ago & it is easy to get to. Now the right side rear sensor is throwing a trouble code. Interestingly, the rear sensors aren't even used. They are merely a backup in case one of the front sensors goes bad. On vehicles that only have the front sensors if one goes bad the ECM goes to a full rich mix burning a ton of fuel & you'll see your MPG go down the tubes. So having a bad rear sensor on your PF doesn't make a difference until the front sensor on that side goes bad.
  • mark888mark888 Member Posts: 1
    Meca2, Pls provide detail of your brake bleeding procedure.
    and your rear brake (handbrake) adjustment ? :)
    My 01 pf le has the same problem. the brake does not have enough bite. I thought its normal for an SUV. until I read your and others forums.! thank you . mark
    I believe the rear sensors are used to prolong the life of the cat. converters (2). They are "three stage" cats. which means it takes care of CO, hydrocarbons, and NOx, and these types of cat. require monitoring to ensure they are not overheated. The ECM uses the readings to control the air/fuel so the cats. work best in "three stage" mode.

I -think- they are being taken out by too much sulphur in the fuel. I switched to premium fuel with up to 10% ethenol in it - it burns much cleaner. So far (4 years) I haven't lost another O2 sensor (two went early in the life of the vehicle).
    On an 01 Pathfinder, you first bleed the proportioning valve (close to the rear diff.). Then you bleed starting with the furthest wheel from the master cylinder (right rear), left rear next, then right front, then left front. You want to ensure you end up changing out all the old fluid (every two years). This can be easier if you change the brake fluid colour each time. Check out a car parts store - at least one manufacturer makes their fluid in two colours - same fluid just a different dye.
    I don't have the service manual with me right now but it said something like "Under normal operation the rear O2 sensors are not used." I've always used premium fuel (and usually quality fuel from Chevron) on my 2001 and I'm about to replace my second sensor. I have heard that too much sulphur damages them though.
  • GHUTCHINGHUTCHIN Member Posts: 4
    I am having the same problems and I have replaced some, but not all ignition coils. The engine light keeps coming on but it doesn't seem to missing anymore. I have to take it back it, I guess. On top of that, I am experiencing automatic transmission 'flaring' and some sort of problem with a mass airflow (not sure what it is, too many problems at this point).
    description of flaring problem.
    http://auto.consumerguide.com/Auto/Used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2506/act/usedc- arreviewshowall/
  • jfkjimjfkjim Member Posts: 2
    My Pathfinders warning that goes off when you leave your lights on and try leaving the vehicle before turning them off , is not working, I cant find any info in the owners manual. I have talked to a guy who says it is a square small box in with the fuses, and he may be right, but there are threee square boxes , different colors, and no labels on them. Anyone have tha answer to this ?? I really miss that warning ! Thanks
  • mwalburgmwalburg Member Posts: 1
    This dome light issue is the cause of a rusted pin switch that is in the rear hatch. Remove the rear plastice panel and it is easy to spot in the center of the hatch
  • gallengallen Member Posts: 4
    ok i've had my 87 PF for about a month now and i love it just that when im driving it doesnt have enough power to get going but fine after 55 mph and i need to know some ways to boost horsepower but i do some trailing so i dont want to hurt the wat i trail. ok also on my PF on the left of the steering wheel on the dash there is a switch that when i switch it i hear a click in the front of the car could that be the locks for the wheel or wat? i know there are locks on the hubs of the rims so i dont know :confuse:
  • raddyraddy Member Posts: 2
    An update and solution to the problem! Only after 3-4 years of having this problem slowly get worse and after Transmission people say that I need a complete transmission rebuild! Took the car to a NISSAN dealer who took it for a spin and identified a faulty heat sensor in the transmission which was causing the overdrive to disengage. Only cost $150 AUD for the part and labour!

Cheers
  • irideaboardirideaboard Member Posts: 1
    I had a problem very similar to this. The mechanic I take the car to said it was a problem with one of the front hubs. Apparently one is starting to engage at low speed causing a thump, thump, thump, and occasionally a buzzing sound like a piece of cardboard in a bicycle wheel.
  • beatle1beatle1 Member Posts: 2
    Dear Jc,
    The right hand side head lamp on my pathfinder does not work, I have checked the bulb and the fuse, both of them are OK; so I suspect that some relay can be faulty, but I have no idea where they are located, I'm sure your instructions about the fog lamps will be useful to clear my problem, can you please send me that by e-mail (ivanz_bo@yahoo.com). Any other info about the wiring on pathfinder head lamps will be welcome as well.
    Thank you in advance
  • beatle1beatle1 Member Posts: 2
    Tgee,
    Ihave the same problem on my pf now, can you let me know how did you solve it?
    Thanks in advance
    beatle
  • trusty625trusty625 Member Posts: 1
    A well known documented problem that a good amount of pathfinder drivers will experience around the 100k mileage mark caused by the rear control arm. From some research I’ve been doing I realized that although this problem is well documented there are still a lot of you that do not understand or of heard about this problem. Do you get a severe swaying starting from the rear end of your vehicle when you hit around 70 mph? Usually drivers experience this when they let of the gas pedal around that speed. Only way to fight this swaying is to let of on the gas and hope the sway goes away. There are lots of independent auto mechanics that have a hard time pin pointing the exact cause of this particular swaying problem the pathfinder has. Therefore many people end up taking advises of these mechanics that do not fully understand the problem. So you owners of this vehicle end up replacing struts, shocks, and even getting new set of tires. After all these fixes you still realize your main problem the swaying has not been fixed. Almost everyone that had this problem wasted their money on fixes that had nothing to do with this problem. I have come up with the exact solution on how to fix this problem and hopefully save you some money.

Nissan Pathfinders 1991-2002 swaying is caused by the bushings in the rear control arm. There are two arms in the rear of your car the upper and the lower arm. Typically what causes this problem is the lower trailing arm. What I recommend is that you replace the Lower arm first to see if that fixes the problem. If swaying continues replace the upper part of the arm. That should fix the swaying. Another option you have is to replace just the bushings that are located on each tip of the lower arms. Each arm has 2 bushings on each end so you will have to purchase 2 sets to replace just the 2 lower arms. I would recommend you purchase Polyurethane bushings. Those are stiffer then the original Nissan bushings and will last longer then rubber. You may buy them >>HEREhttp://trusty625.blogspot.com/2006/04/nissan-pathfinders-swaying-problem.html
  • jman73jman73 Member Posts: 1
    My '95 PF just started blowing a 10A fuse (marked "meter" in the fusebox) that shuts down the tach, speedo, OD, and shifting. I can't drive more than about 10-12 miles at highway speed before it blows. If I replace the fuse right away I can drive a few less miles before it blows again. I can keep doing this until eventually the fuse will blow as soon as I shift into drive. The PF is drivable when the fuse is blown, but it doesn't shift automatically. Any ideas on what could be causing this?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    LOL! Wow, those are photos of my truck! Wow, I'm flattered that my truck is now used as a reference on a blog!! ;)

Do note, however, that the lower link shown on the link has been modified. A piece of angle-iron has been welded to the link for off-road durability. OEM links are just round tubes. The bushings, though are the stock ones, which were later replaced with polyurethane bushings.

After replacing only the lower links, I have not had the swaying problem return. (One of these days I'll get around to replacing the upper links as well.)
  • aholmesaholmes Member Posts: 1
    My rear brakes squeal, right rear wheel. I pulled the drum. It looks fine. The shoes are'nt worn. I'm considering replacing the drums,and the shoes. I cleaned the drum and shoe pads, there's less squealing, but still consistant.I have all of the replacement part's. Will the squealing stop if I put on new shoes, springs, and drums?
  • 56roses56roses Member Posts: 4
    I purchased a new 2004 Nissan Pathfinder in March 2004.
    At 5600 miles (February 2005) I noticed the front tires were wearing unevenly. Took to my deal and was told everything was OK and the tires showed no uneven wear. At 7900 (May 2005) miles the both front tires were quite worn on the inside edge. My dealer now tells me I need an alignment that is why the tires are worn. After much discussion as to why they did not notice this just 2300 miles before they performed an alignment for free. I still had the problem with the worn tires to deal with but the service manager would do nothing saying it was due to the alignment (hard to believe the tires were so badly worn after only 2300 miles since the last inspection when they were said to be Ok by the dealer. I spoke with the owner of the dealership and he said Nissan USA would do nothing but he would split the difference with me as follows:
    Take my full size (new) spare and use that for one front tire, he would take a tire off a new vehicle in his lot as the other front tire and the less worn of the original front tires would become my spare...I agreed to the "compromise". (The dealer did not do the alignment again when he switched the tires saying it was fine).
    Now at 12500 (march 2006) miles my front tires are once again quite worn it the same way (that is only 5,000 miles since they were replaced). I took it to the dealer and they say they see nothing wrong but I should get an alignment. After much discussion again they agreed to perform the alignment for free. This time, though they would do nothing about the tires.
    I spoke with Nissan USA who reviewed the dealers records and they say there is nothing I can do unless I take the car to another dealer and that dealer finds something wrong. Since the car was just aligned, again, I highly doubt there is anything to find.
    I need your opinions on how to proceed. Is this not unusual? How can the a vehicle the manufacturer advertises as an "Off-road vehicle have its alignment go out so easily? This car has only been driven on smooth pavement.
    My biggest problem may be I can not use the lemon law here in NY State since the car is older than 2 years (although as you can see we do not use the car much since it only has 12,500 mile on it).
    Your opinions and help are much appreciated.
    Barry
  • zzr12zzr12 Member Posts: 18
    I had approx 2500 miles on my 04 LE when I noticed that the outsides of the front tires were wearing unevenly. I took it back to the dealer who performed a wheel alignment for free. I now have 25,000 miles with no abnormal wear. I would try another alignment. Hope you get it sorted.
  • schlickschlick Member Posts: 2
    My sway bar link has a crack in the rubber boot. Do I need to do an alignment after replacing them?
    nope.
  • caharrisoncaharrison Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Pathfinder, and the Check Engine light just came on this past weekend. The shop told me the #1 O2 Sensor is bad and it'll cost $258 to replace it. This seems expensive to me, since the cost of part appears to be around $70-80. How difficult is the #1 sensor to replace? I've heard it takes a special wrench that's about $20, so am thinking about doing it myself.
    automatic transmission "flaring" problem....my auto. trans feels like is slipping...but this only happens when its cold or not warmed up. Might be the same "flaring" problem ur talking about
    my suggestion...if u have an '87 PF and its giving problems...get a new one...or atleast a newER one =) ur PF is almost 20 years old
    i have an 01 Pathfinder and also have a transmission slip or "flare" when its cold or not warmed up. I really think nissan knows about this problem and many other problems such as ignition coil failior/mis-fire and they are not addressing the problems or admitting these problems are NOT part of regular maintanence. I also have a powersteering leak.
    Nissan does know about it. Read the TSB for it at www.nissanhelp.com. Your dealer will be happy to fix it... if you're still under the powertrain warranty.
  • mick9mick9 Member Posts: 2
    2006 pathfinder diesel auto 18000 miles dealer says needs all 4 discs and pads has anybody come across this amount of wear in such a short time
    Seem odd to wipe out all the rotors. Wasn't your brake pad wear sensor working?
  • wwkwwk Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    Where did you get the polyurethane bushings? I really need to order all 8 because I'm begining to get sea sick driving to work.
    Thanks
  • mick9mick9 Member Posts: 2
    pads had not worn down to sensors (nearly) but the wear on the discs was unbelievable
    Sounds like low grade OEM rotors to me in that case...if they weren't warped or burned but only ground up, one would have to presume the metallurgy or the pads were not the best. I can see a race car doing this but not a Pathfinder.

You might consider shopping around, asking around and seeing if some aftermarket products might be better for your truck.
  • helifan1957helifan1957 Member Posts: 1
    Is there an issue with this model year moving with the brake depressed or moving quickly after the brake is released, but before gas pedal is depressed?
  • jomarchjomarch Member Posts: 6
    MY FUSE KEEPS BLOWING THAT CONTROLS MY INSIDE OVERHEAD LIGHTING,CLOCK,ALARM SYSTEM AND DOOR LOCKS. I HAVE TO LOCK THE DOORS MANUALLY BECAUSE EVERY TIME WE REPLACE THE FUSE...IT SEEMS TO BLOW IT SHORTLY AFTERWARDS. CAN ANYONE HELP ME BECAUSE THE MECHANICS CAN'T SEEM TOO AND I CAN NOT AFFORD TO PAY THEM BECAUSE I AM DISABLED.

SINCERELY IN NEED OF HELP AND SUGGESTIONS
  • rickdb1rickdb1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Pathfinder and was wondering if it is normal for the security system to automatically lock the doors after a preset time after parking the vehicle? Seems to only do this when the keys are removed from the ignition. Is there a setting that can be changed to stop this? Afraid I'll lock the keys in the car if I forget them when parked in the garage, Etc. Thanks for any help,

Rick