Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• krcarr30krcarr30 Member Posts: 6
    What kind of upgrade deal/offer where they giving you?
  • 1sg31b1sg31b Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me if you can access the fuel pump on an 06 Pathfinder from the passenger compartment?
  • saknjmomsaknjmom Member Posts: 26
    my 05 did that in reverse if the car was in automatic mode for 4wd or if it was in 4 wd
  • jcottonjcotton Member Posts: 1
    Thought the problem was the fuel pump. replaced the fuel pump and still won't start. We put a different relay switch in the fuel pump relay and still would not start. any suggestions on the issue. May it be the fuel pressure regulator? is so where is that located
  • ckmwbcckmwbc Member Posts: 1
    I first started noticing the whine when it started to get cold. Sometimes I will hear it when I start the car, and it will last from a second to 10 seconds. The only other time I hear it is when I accelerate. It doesn't happen very often, and it isn't very consistent conditions when it does happen. I've been in low and high gears and heard it. But as soon as I lay off the accelerator, the sound goes away till I push on the accelerator again.

Any ideas on what is causing this problem? Or a solution?
  • nissanednissaned Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to post my experience with my 2007 Nissan Pathfinder (Bought new in June 2007) that has the AC drain problem. I took it to a local Nissan dealer who initially told me that the drain problem was only with Titans and he had not heard of a problem with Pathfinders. They kept the car for a day and supposedly repaired the leak. They did not replace the front carpet, however, and after I complained, they offered to replace the carpet, which they did. Note that the pad under the carpet is micro-cellulose composition - there is NO WAY to get the water out of it. In our case the carpet smelled of mold/mildew. If you have this prooblem be sure and have the carper REPLACED.

Anyway, 2 months later and the same problem came back. I am planning on calling the dealer tommorrow to see what their response will be. My last NISSAN was the best car I ever had in 30 years of driving. I bought this one expecting even better quality. But after only 8,000 miles I have this. So far, its disappointing. I can get over it and like this vehicle again if the drain problem can be fixed.
  • budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    My 2001 Pathfinder has been "pinging" on and off and the shifting has been very "sloppy" for over a year but no codes then a month ago the SES light came on and it was a lean condition on the left side, as it turns out it was the mass air flow sensor, I replaced it and it had to be re-programmed ($80) now it runs great.

I bought my mass air flow sensor off of ebay for $160 shipped and that's less than 1/2 of the lowest price I could find online.
    So, we both have the same problem about the same speeds. That 35 to 40 mph is very rough.

I have also noticed that my fuel economy is much worse than my 05. We recently took a 6 hour trip on major highways, no traffic, driving cruise control and the best we could get was 17.1 mpg.

So, the other day, I had a 1 hour highway drive, minimal traffic. Reset my fuel economy log, turned on cruise control, flipped to manual mode. The indicator showed 4th gear at 75mph. I shifted to 5th gear and drove for 45 miles. Fuel economy 21.9.

On the way home, drove same speed in cruise control in automatic mode 17.6 mpg.

There is definitely something up with this transmission.
    That is very interesting.....I am going to try that approach and report back. I am also going to drive in maual mode and see if I get the same thump/shutter at or around 40mph as opposed being in automatic drive mode. I would try this yourself as well and see.

I too get about 17.3 mpg with a combo of city and highway travel. Geez we should have went with the V8 engine....
  • wenbangerwenbanger Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Pathfinder has the 4wd light on dash, wont select 4wd- any ideas why ?
  • caracalcaracal Member Posts: 4
    I need to change the struts on my pathfinder, can anyone lend me some advice as to what tools I will need, what to expect, and anything I need to look for?
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    Just curious, how do you know when you need new struts in this truck? I have an '01 with 120k miles, and the struts have never been replaced.
    I was looking at the front brakes, and noticed that one of the struts was covered in oil. I think it may have a blown seal. That it the reason I am thinking they need to be changed. I know that you cant change just one, and I have a basic knowledge of how the repair is done, I just needed some input specific to the Pathfinder to make certain that I have all the information I need to do this right the first time.
    Anyone have input on replacing front struts on a 2001 pathfinder? I have never done this, and would love to hear from you guys about your experiences doing this.
  • marcogallo1986marcogallo1986 Member Posts: 1,164
    Nissan has a bulitin out on your trans for a softwhair upgrade pritty shore. Like one of the posters on this foram said in a preavious posting. and I looked it up the ful aconomy for a 2008 pathfinder v6 is 16 city 21 Hiway. that is using the epa's new fule aconomy numbers for 2008. anymor questians Pleas ask and I will try to answer them as soon as I can. The pathfinder is a real grate truck all years up till the current one. It is on a truck frame it is a suv dont expect to get grate ful aconomy sorry guys that is the way it is. Thankyou for reading my posting Marco.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    All I can say is "wow"
  • munnymunny Member Posts: 10
    reading your post actually made my hair (hare?) hurt
  • boulder5boulder5 Member Posts: 1
    Any other 08 pathfinders owners having problems with pop,clunk sound coming from the front end,sound may be heard when vehicle begins moving.Taken my vehicle personally to the dealer 4 times and am told is a "normal sound",even had a advocate for nissan tell me this sound is normal.Dealer has said all 08 pathfinders will make this noise because" this is just they way nissan built this vehicle"and i would have to deal with it,both dealer and nissan USA are standing behind this pop,clunk problem and said the will do nothing about it.I personally called 8 dealships from new mexico,arizona,colorado,and no other service managers are reporting this problem.Please 08 pathfinder owners pay close attention to this noise by having your stereo off and soon as you get going listen carefully!!
  • whitepathwhitepath Member Posts: 2
    I lost the front right corner piece to my wife's roof rack at the car wash. Any ideas on where I might find one? For those of you having roof rack wind noise, make sure that the cross bars are installed with the correct edge forward. It makes a huge difference.
    Does anyone else hear high pitched tones in their Pathfinder? Seriously, they are high freq tones that are just audible.

Thanks for the info.

Whitepath.
  • cjones7cjones7 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 pf and the alarm will go off and it wont be cut on or the doors wont be locked or anything!!!!!!! What the heck is wrong with it ? Any ideas how to disconect it! Thanks
    Hey THe Fix for your Problem is real simpal. the drane tube - avaperrater is cloged with junk from the Road. Might have to Put a little screan at the bottam of the bumper that is your problem dirt gets in there Grate Truck. I Hope the dealer cleaned it should be ok for now. any mor questians pleas ask Just trying to help out I no quite a bit. Thankyou Marco.
    Hey Do you still want to keep this Alarm or do you want to get rid of it. If you want to keep it the cause of your problem might be cause the alarm sensor is to sensitive and may nead sum ajusting. if You dont want it anymore you can just cut the wirer and wont work anymore Hope I can help you out it is a grate truck How menny miles do you have on your Truck Marco. thankyou for reading my posting sorry about the spelling Marco
    Hey I hope I can help you Out. Whell that might just be the abs systim testing it selfe. does it do it every time you start off from a stop.. Or just when you Put it in drive. Or it also could be one of your diferanchials for the 4wd system I would not worry about inless it gets alot worse. bring it to a nother dealer if you can to see what they have to say about this sound. I Hope I helped you out The Pathfinder is a grate truck no car is problem free you no. Thankyou for reading My posting have a real grate day Marco sorry about my spelling.
    Oh, now it makes sense! I was missing both of mine on the 05. I thought someone stole them! LOL
    I ordered my new ones from dealer.
  • whitepathwhitepath Member Posts: 2
    Do you recall how much they cost?
    Where can this bulletin be found?
    you should be able to find it on this websight Nissan Help.com I have not bin able to look yet for you I have had not mujtch time to look but I no there is a bulitin out on this problem. Call a few dealers as whell if you would like. Hope I was able to Help you thankyou Marco. SOrry about sum of my spelling.
  • notorious2notorious2 Member Posts: 4
    I just noticed a day or so ago whenever I start my '02 6cyl. 85600 path. there's thick white smoke coming out of the tailpipe. This only happens when I start but never during driving. During short trips you hardly notice anything but after a good run on the highway and the engine cools off once you start up again there's the smoke. Any idea what could be the problem and is there a solution? :confuse:
    Over the past winter my A/C only functions on high. The other levels don't seems to function at all. When I'm driving the vehicle, whatever the setting, is you feel it coming thru the vents even when the A/C is off. Could it be a compressor not working, a failed sensor or something I really don't know about? Any solutions to this problem. "02 6cyl. SE PATH.
    Is there a lot to smoke, or a relatively minor amount? How long does the smoke last after starting a completely cold engine? How many miles does it take your engine to use a quart of oil? Are you the original owner? How odten have you changed the engine oil since you have had the truck?
    It depends, if I'm coming home from work then there's a lot of smoke but if its a short highway trip then the smoke is minimal. The smoke only last but a minute or two but again its heavy. I also smell an odor that's not sweet nor like steam. There's approximately 85700 miles on the engine and I'm the second owner. The maintenace on the vehicle is kept up to par every 3000 miles. But not sure as to how many quarts the engine burns per mile.
    There is a bulletin on the nissanhelp.com site. It says that the ECM needs reprogrammed.
    It's difficult to diagnose without seeing it in person, but it's possible your engine may need a full rebuild at some point. If it's no worse than having to add a quart every couple of hundred miles, you may find that it's much more economical to buy oil by the case than pay for a major engine overhaul. It's hard to say how long it might be before you are using so much oil that it's no longer feasible to go without the engine work...it could be today, or it may get no worse for years. It could be worth paying a shop an hour or two of labor to have a look and see what the problem might be, including compression testing each cylinder. I have an '01 that I have serviced religiously since now, and I now have 122K miles and it burns about a quart every 3000 miles. My sister has an '02 with 70k miles that has only been serviced "by the book". Hers burns a quart every 500-1000 miles, and she sees some smoke, but only when the engine is cold. I advised her about a year ago to carefully monitor the oil level, and the oil burning does not seem to be getting much worse.
    sorry, I don't. I can't see the receipt in my folder either.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    I may need to swap the alternator on my wife's 97 PF with the 3.3 (I think they all have this engine). I've changed a few alternator but never on anything with a serpentine belt. If anyone that's been through it can tell me what I'm getting into, it would be very much appreciated.
  • munnymunny Member Posts: 10
    Steve,

did you ever resolve the heating problem - I have the same issue with intermittent overheating. I can drive all day without any problems but every once in a while ,especially going up hills, it gets really hot.

munnyn1@yahoo.com
  • wli1wli1 Member Posts: 1
    I took my 2001 Pathfinder LE to the dealer and was told that the rear endlinks (also known as sway bars?) need to be replaced. They gave me a quote of $1190. Is this right? (well, let's safely assume that anything from the dealer is inflated to begin with) The parts seem to cost little so I am wondering what a reasonable service charge would be. Thanks in advance for your help.
    I can't imagine that the labor would be more than 2 hours in the flat rate book...
    Have you resolved this yet? I found a service bulletin that seems to address it. Taking in today. We'll see.
    Just curious.
  • mgparks2003mgparks2003 Member Posts: 1
    I was driving down the road in my 97' pathfinder when my radio died... Shortly after that my ABS light came on steady.. Then my ABS light started coming on and off.. Then my TACH started fluctuating I pulled in the driveway and shut the car off.. Now it wont start at all... Any ideas? PLEASE HELP! My only other mode of transportation is my bike and thats busted too!
  • budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    Sounds like an alternator/battery problem.
  • brockhanbrockhan Member Posts: 1
    Clutch won't engage on compressor. Fusses are good..
  • arta2arta2 Member Posts: 1
    Check engine light was on when I took car for inspection. We are an emission control county so the car failed. Computer read that it was the knock sensor and a misfire on cylinder 1 according to the inspection station. I bought a book and it shows the knock sensor under the manifold in the center, my 1996 does not have anything in the middle. Does anyone know if there are knock sensors for each of the cylinders? Anything I have read indicates that there is only one knock sensor but it looks like I have one on each cylinder.
  • sastresastre Member Posts: 3
    My speedo, tach. temp and odometer stop working after driving about an hour with the lights on. I don't believe it happens with the lights off and the fuel gauge keeps working. The light on the gauge assy go out also. If I stop and turn the ignition off for a few minutes they all come back on and work for awhile then go out again. Am I losing a ground? Any ideas. It is hard to trouble shoot as it is only happens for a limited time.
  • pathfinder4pathfinder4 Member Posts: 2
    hi, i just bought a '97 nissan pathfinder. i love it, the only problem is the swing arm with the spare tire will not unlatch. the guy i bought it from said it would cost $200 at dealership to fix, but he had forgotten exactly what they had said was wrong with it. anybody here have any ideas? has anyone dealt with this before and fixed it themselves?
    thanks
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,272
    That swing arm is optional equipment and probably a dealer installed option. There can be a lot of different variations out there.
  • drcrazy911drcrazy911 Member Posts: 1
    I have 2006 PF SE and I'm wondering after how many Km I should change or refill both oils. mine has 75,000 Km and I haven't change anything except air filter (I don't like going to the dealer)
    I have a 02 Nissan Path, the A/C unit only works when the air is on high. The other settings don't work. Now when I'm driving I could feel the cool air ( or heat depending on the season) coming out of the vents when the A/C is off. I'm not sure what it could be but maybe you guys can help me out.

P.S. Thanks on the smokey tailpipe answer. I took it over to a mechanic and he said I would need to have my valves and head gaskets checked for pressure and see where the leak is coming from but it is oil leaking into the chamber.
  • pathfinderbc01pathfinderbc01 Member Posts: 1
    Same exact problem!! I could not have described it more accurately.

I have a 2001 Pathfinder SE Manual with about 120k miles. Were you able to find out any more details on this issue?
  • dcummiskeydcummiskey Member Posts: 1
    I recently ran my 1995 Pathfinder into a pile of dirt while offroading and banged up the front quite a bit. My inspection expires this month and I need the orange cover that goes over the front right light. the light fixture and bulb are intact only the orange cover which is held in by two phillips screws is broken. Does anyone know where I can get one without purchasing an entire front light fixture? Also, the front bumper is banged up a bit and front right headlight. Does anyone have or know of someone who has a 1995 Pathfinder for parts? Thanks -Dave