Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I bought a reconditioned 6 disc changer for my '01 Pathfinder off Ebay (previous unit had the Err2 problem and I destroyed it while removing the CDs!) The reconditioned unit works fine - except it skips badly when playing CD-Rs. Some CD-Rs seem to be worse than others. On one CD-R, it will play the first 12-13 tracks fine without skipping, then starts skipping out on the last 2-4 tracks. I know the manual says not to play CD-Rs or CD-RWs in this unit because it may malfunction, so I really don't have a complaint. I'm just curious if other folks have experienced the same thing with CD-Rs or if there's certain types of CD-Rs that are problematic with this unit. I don't know if my original unit did the same thing because I never played CD-Rs in it.
  • jdinphxjdinphx Member Posts: 1
    OK guys, I need another opinion. I have an '05 PF that is due for 30,000 mi. service. The list is as long as my arm with things they want to do, but I feel part of it just isn't necessary. I live in Arizona, which is considered a severe service state. I have my oil changed at 3,000 mi. instead of the recommended 3,750 mi. because of that reason. One of the things that the dealer wants to do is completely dismantle my throttle body and clean it. They also want to also remove all my injectors and claim to "clean" them as well. I just don't feel that's necessary and they're just trying to burn me for as much as they can. I understand the additional stuff, antifreeze change, transmission fluid change etc. all again due to the severe service conditions here, high heat etc. Nearly all my driving is freeway, and I use Chevron gas because of the Techron additive for keeping the fuel system clean. I have a Lincoln sitting in my garage with 122,000 mi. on it and the injectors/throttle body have never been touched. My mechanic for that vehicle says everything looks fine and the car runs great. I am a firm believer in preventive maintenance, and drive for a living. Am I just being cheap? The nearly $600.00 they want seems a bit excessive.
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    I agree with you. One question...who told you that AZ is considered to be a severe service state? For example, unless you are doing heavy duty towing or something similar, hot weather would not materially shorten the life of your oil. You engine oil does not run that much hotter when the ambient temp is 120 degress versus 80 degrees assuming you are driving the vehicle in the same manner.
  • poodog13poodog13 Member Posts: 320
    More likely an issue of dirt and dust (desert environment) than heat. If you don't experience those types of conditions in your driving, then you should not consider conditions to be severe. I've never been to a desert climate, but would think that this might be a valid concern in certain areas (particularly those of a less urban nature).
    That does make sense, but many areas of the state are not like that. I'm curious if Nissan really does classify all of AZ as a severe duty state, or if this is merely "dealer bologna" to try to oversell customers on service. That's why I asked where that information came from.
  • xraptor76xraptor76 Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem with my '06 Pathfinder. The cause of the transmission shuttering was due to a crack from a radiator hose. The coolant leaked and mixed with the transmission fluid. Now I have to replace the radiator and might have to replace the transmission too. And not surprisingly, the repair is not covered under the power terrain warranty because the radiator is at fault. Bottom line Nissans are pathetic cars.
    Isn't your radiator still under warranty?
  • sdrennensdrennen Member Posts: 1
    Have '91 Pathfinder that needs a couple interior parts: the center console lid and the driver side door handle/arm rest. Please advise where to go for these items.
    Thanks
    Look in your local yellow pages under "auto parts used". You should be able to find these at a local auto salvage/used parts recycler.
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,280
    Try googling craigslist

A search term like '91 pathfinder craigslist' will search the whole country.

I saved a bundle buying my floor mats from TN this way
  • sp311b0undsp311b0und Member Posts: 4
    i have a 97 nissan pathfinder le... it does the same thing i alway tell my boyfriend it sounds like birds are in my hood... but ya like when i give it gas i hardly hear it and when im at stop lights and whatever its loud and obnoxious quite embarassing... i would like to know the easiest way to fix this problem
  • sp311b0undsp311b0und Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know how to fix the loud chirping noise that is under the hood of my truck... it only chirps when im at stop lights, signs, parked, or how much it would cost because i dont have alot of money :mad:
  • leonardb4leonardb4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 LE Pathfinder with the Auto bush button style heater and AC control cluster. All of the lights appear to be "out" except for the manual and mode buttons on the far right side. Are these easy to get to and replace? Kind of a pain not to be able to see the controls at night!
  • 70ss454_man70ss454_man Member Posts: 107
    Is it common for the man computer in a Nissan Pathfinder to go out?

My '87 suddenly quit running this morning while on the freeway, and at first I thought it was the fuel pump, because there is no smell of fuel and nothing is entering the throttle body.

But then I checked for spark, and there isn't spark either.

It simply keeps turning over, totally dead.

Ideas?
  • 05se05se Member Posts: 4
    During a routine oil change at the dealer, the service manager tells me that the rear brake pads need replacement and rotors "resurfaced". Gives me a price of around $230 with labor. Okay............

Went out and purchased new rear brake pads, around $30.00. The next day I went to the mechanic down the street to have them do the work. Explained my situation and what needed to be done. When I mentioned about resurfacing the rotors, he asked me if the rotors were steel or composite. Not knowing the answer, I called the service department at two Nissan dealers to confirm, and both told me that they were steel. Good, since I never budgeted for new rotors......I can have them resurfaced.

Truck goes on the lift, rear tires and wheels removed. "We have a problem" says the manager. "These are not steel, they're composite. Resurfacing ain't gonna work." He takes the rear left rotor off, shows it to me. Yup, the thing is warped as a you know what........Bit the bullet and had steel rotors installed, about $70 each.

Anyone with an 05 or later had a similar experience like this? I think it's just BS that Nissan uses inferior rotors that warp too easily. I know they (and other manufacturers do this), but why cut corners?

Just had to vent for a bit.
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    The seepage was detected more than a year ago. I thought it steemed from the firewall/windshield area. A "real" honest local mechainic told me that there was probably a clog in the weep hole area in the door jamb. Looking into the door well when U open the door revealed that leaaves and maple tree 'poly noses" have gathered into the door well. Cleaned that out, dried the carpeting and seemed OK. Now it really leaked, cleaned the same area again [my son at college uses the Pathy], but this time, the entire passenger front side carpet and padding is soaked and smells. Is there a service that can clean and deordorize the carpetting or does it require to be replaced which is expensive....

Anyone. Advise is much appreciated.
    So last week, the PF got stuck due to the corroded battery cable. The pos cable splits and goes to a fuse box under the hood and I suppose down to the starter. There is a remote start in there someplace too and it has a factory immobilizer alarm. I don't really know how that works. The guy put a new battery in and replaced the end of the positive cable with a generic one. So the two plugs that went into the old connector were cut and the wires were sandwiched into the generic new one.

So now, the problem persists. my wife went to the mall and had trouble starting it. The car has plenty of juice but the key is unresponsive as is the remote start. There is not a click or anything but it otherwise has plenty of juice for the windows, radio, etc.

It was towed to city tire and it started right up. We took it to Garden City and back with no problems. I then took it to Stop N Shop and it wouldn't start but fired up on the 3rd or 4th try. When I got home, it wouldn't start and I tried it a few times over a few hours without luck but the next morning, it fired right up. So I left it at City Tire and they want to replace the negative cable. What do you think? Does that sound like the right move?

PS - the chirping problem sounds like the serpentine belt
  • rf396rf396 Member Posts: 5
    I have 2004 Pathfinder V6 3500. I hate this POS. Been nothing but trouble. 4 years old and has been running hot till it boiled over today. Doing the ol puke out the radiator bit. Plenty of AF in it so I figured it would be a stat issue. I removed the stat with not too much aggravation. Here is what I found. Stat LOOKS cooked. white hot markings on it. The probe on top looks somewhat done in as well. Problem I had was going to my local Idiot palace, I.E. AutoZoned out and found that they list an upper and and a lower thermostat? I cannot find ANYWHERE on this monstosity where an UPPER would be. The one I removed is routed to the lower radiator hose and the upper hose routes way behind the engine. I figure a trip to Nissan in the morning is mandatory, but could this PIG actually ANOTHER stat? And please dont tell me it's BY THE FIREWALL. I may just burn this thing to the ground. Thanks
  • munnymunny Member Posts: 10
    the upper thermostat is called a water control valve. it is pain to get to and a dealer part (only about $20). I had overheating issues on my 2001. changed out radiator and lower thermostat (don't forget the gasket for the thermostat - it was not included in my NAPA kit.) has been running ok since.

schematic:

http://www.courtesyparts.com/betasite/pathfinder-r50-1996-2004/genuine-nissan-pa- rts/exhaust-cooling/210-water-pump-cooling-fan-thermostat/-c-4700_4701_4724_4727- .html
    Munny thanks for the reply. Was YOUR radiator pretty clogged? or rotted. This one seems ok and the flow looks good. no buildup as far as I can see. Also were you able to get a thermostat from a local source? The morons around here are useless so I'll be forced into going to nissan tomorrow. Also, where is the WCV located and have you ever heard of this being part of the issue as well? When I took this stat out, it LOOKS cooked. lots of white hot discoloration and the probe on top looks bad too. Thanks
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    To All Owners of This model Pathfinder: Found the source of water seepage. There are weep holes in the windshield wiper area. They divert the water from that area down along the inner door hinge area into the door well. There are weep holes in that well area. That allows the water to drain out to the ground. They were Clogged with leaf debris [those freakin polynoses from maple trees mostly] and the water backed up into the door well and into the flooring. My son and I picked up the carpet and the entire floor was soaked, the padding is ruined. The carpet is salvagable. It's been cleaned and dried out (with a shop vac and hair blower). Now the padding will be replaced and the carpets fully shampooed. Hopefully - good as new.
  • agelesswonderagelesswonder Member Posts: 3
    I moved into the North Carolina area last September. Had the timing belt replaced and new tires, plus tune up. Engine light came on a week later. Adjustments were made and the engine light came on and off until recently when it stayed on. Same diagnostic code...throttle position switch was replaced. A week later engine light was back on...now they tell me it is a leak somewhere and needs a smoke test. My concern is that everytime they do work on the car, I leave only to return with the engine light on and another problem. How likely is it that work is performed and a week later another pops up. You hear stories of mechanics doing things to your car so that they can generate more business. Is it possible this was done or perhaps a tool was dropped causing a hole somewhere? It is a 98 Nissan Pathfinder with 117,500 miles - new transmission back in 2002. Help!
    Munny, thanks for answering my overheating question . You mentioned the water control valve and that it was a pain to get to. I cant even see it. Looking at the scematic you gave me the link to, it looks like it's mounted between the firewall and the back of the heads, but I cant see it. Is it possible that the throttle body/intake needs to be removed to get access? Also I did the lower stat. No Go, temp is ok at idle but rises the minute you race the engine. Bad Flow. Im going to repl the radiator AND the water pump. Nissan and another local clown are trying sell me on a head gasket. I twisted wrenches years ago and I've NEVER seen a HG blow and NOT have a crank full of milk, or the white smoke parade. I have neither, so I think they're trying to ace me. anyway, anything you can add about the WCV and it's access would be appreciated. Thanks
    Rick
    When the positive battery cable is unhooked, the light will stay off for a hundred miles or so while the computer resets itself. It sounds like they're throwing parts at it rather than analyzing the problem.

The codes should tell them all they need to know to get to the bottom of it with a little legwork
  • agelesswonderagelesswonder Member Posts: 3
    Thank you...have been researching the code which said it was a small evaporation leak. Information about it led to something called a bypass valve?? located under the right rear tire?? Anyway, checked the coolant level in the car and found it to be at the minimum level. Called the repair shop and asked them if they had noticed this when they were servicing the car. Hello....was told that it should have been checked and topped off. Long story short - found out it would be cheaper for me to keep the coolant at maximum level than having to search for a small leak. It's a great car...transmission 5 years old, new tires, body of the car in great shape...I just want to keep it as long as possible. You don't seem to get the service you used to get - everything boils down to having to check in behind people. Frustrating.
  • msmith_31msmith_31 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Nissan Pathfinder with 55,000 miles. Two weeks ago the check engine light came on so I took it to the local dealership. They told me the computer read an error with a timing cylinoid. Then they asked me if I knew that the engine was blown. I was a total shocked! They told me there was only 1 quart of oil in the engine, and no oil was registering on the dipstick. They then ran a claim through Nissan Corp to cover it under warranty. This was denied because it was 3 months out of warranty, even though it was under the 60,000 mile threshold. My first problem with all this is there was no warning, no low oil or oil pressure light. I then called Nissan Corp myself to file a claim. They asked if I had the service records, and emphatically insisted that they would need them before action could be taken. I was able to come up with adequate service records, but after insisting I provide the service records they came back and said the service records do not matter. The vehicle is 3 months out of warranty and they would do nothing. Has anyone ever been treated like this from Nissan, or do you have any advice on how I can proceed from here? I am irate at their attitude and lack of willingness to help!

Matt
    I have an '01 PF, and when it had 90k miles the Check Engine Light came on inidcating a problem with one of the cataiytic converters. There was a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) published by Nissan describing a software upgrade to the engine computer because the computer would prematurely think the converters were worn out. The dealer upgraded the software at a cost of several hundred dollars, and that solved the problem. I sent Nissan a letter demanding a refund as the software problem clearly existed the day the car left the factory, so the upgrade should have been covered under the warranty irrespective of the age of the car. Nissan didn't even bother to give me the courtesy of a response. Matt, your truck is clearly out of warranty, so Nissan is not obligated to make the repair. All you can do is never buy a Nissan product again, and warn your friends how you were treated. 30 years ago I had a Honda Accord's engine blow within a few thousand miles after the warranty expired, and Honda would do nothing about it despite that I had changed the oil every 3000 miles. I never bought a Honda product again. One other thought. Is it possible that you caused or contributed to the problem by not checking the oil level? You mentioned that you didn't get a warning light. How often were you checking your oil level? You really need to check your oil every time you stop for fuel as the manual says. The reason you didn't get a "low oil level" warning light if because your truck doesn't have one...few vehicles do. There is no subsitute for checking your oil regularly. Your truck takes 5 quarts of oil. For example, if your engine was burning and/or leaking a quart of oil every 1000 miles (not that unusual), and it's been 4000 miles since your last oil change, that would explain why there was only 1 quart of oil left. Driving your truck with only one quart of oil in the engine could certainly be the reason your engine blew. And the oil pressure warning light is merely an indication of a problem with the engine's oil pump. It had nothing to do with the engine oil level. Unless there was a problem with the oil pump (or the light itself), that won't light until your engine is pretty much out of oil, and when that happen's it's too late...the damage has already been done.
  • kvenanzikvenanzi Member Posts: 5
    A friend of mine owns a 2005 PF and started having issues with the transmission not engaging right away from reverse to drive (automatic)...they took it in and dealer said it was fine and told them to change the fluid with some synthetic stuff which was done for maybe $180 (not sure)........problem gradually got worse and 3 months later it is really bad....took it to the dealer and they said it needs a new transmission for (i think they said) $3000. Thing is..it is now 3 months past warranty but it wasnt the first time they took it in....Nissan dealership is doing nothing and now my friend is trying to contact corporate to get some resolve.....does any one have any advise or past experiences with this...the PF was used a most suvs...take the kids to school and run to the mall...
    I can't imagine that they will have any problem at all so long as they have the service order showing why they brought it to the dealer just before the warranty expired, and that they can document that the trans fluid was changed per Nissan's maintenance schedule. If they do have the above documentation and Nissan refuses (and there's no other pertinent facts that perhaps you are not aware of), it's time to sue them. On the other hand, if they did not change the trans fluid as they were suppossed to, the problem will most likely be judged to be the owner's fault.
  • munnymunny Member Posts: 10
    Valve water control - it looked like hell to get to so i did not bother.

as for the radiator - the radiator could have good flow in and out but still be clogged. i used an infrared temp monitor and profiled the radiator. the sides were very hot but the middle was relatively cold - had little to no flow

i would replace the water pump at the same time as the thermostat since already down there.

I sold the pathfinder last week. i was spending a few hundred bucks every other month lately so had enough.
  • meltnarmeltnar Member Posts: 1
    Hi - I have an 05 PF, I'm getting a hissing sound from the passenger side of the engine back by the firewall, I've cut a re-sealed the main hose coming in but I'm still getting this sound and the engine with flutter every few minutes.
    Do I need to remove the intake to find this leak?
    Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks Mel
    Hey munny, thanks for the reply. You're right.It looks like hell so I did not bother either. But I DID flip the radiator as well as The radiator CAP, which believe it or not, can cause the problem on it's own when the rubber gasket swells slightly. So far no problems or overheats, seems to be back to "normal". Or as normal as a Pathfinder will ever be. I still have a years worth of payments on this pig, then it's by by and NEVER ANOTHER NISSAN AGAIN. Man what a dissapointment.
  • alwaysbusyalwaysbusy Member Posts: 11
    My SES light has been on about 2 weeks. All maintenance is performed including recent 60k service. Took to dealer. Told me not to worry. Checked the gas cap, it was on tight. Now that gas has come down I'm filling up with premium (Costco) again. SES light still on. Anyone else with this problem? Also at 60k (almost like clockwork) the center console 'flip top' clip broke off.. as did the double cup holders on the back of the console!
    What about the possibility that the gas cap needs to be replaced... does that happen? :confuse:
  • too4too4 Member Posts: 3
    i would like to know what size the lines are for the e-brake for 96 nissan pathfinder se
  • ctdsixspeedctdsixspeed Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 95 pathy 4x4,when backing up there is a loud squeaking noise in the front end. It seems to come equally from both sides and does it backing up OR rolling backwards when not running. What could this be? thanks in advance.
    i am really not sure but it sounds like a differential problem i would start by looking into the differential
  • tfriedtfried Member Posts: 1
    Hi I have a 2005 pathfinder i just purchased and check engine light is on I scanned it and it came up with p1122 and p1126 which is throttle position motor relay and the throttle position actuator well the relay is ok how do I check the actuator. when I push the gas pedal down when it is idling there is no response, no change in the idle
  • dmurr3dmurr3 Member Posts: 11
    Hi. For my 2001 SE, All at once my front left headlight, front left fog light, and 3 out of the 4 power windows (not including driver side) have lost power. I can't seem to find a blown fuse. Any ideas? I'd appreciate any suggestions as to how to fix this problem. Thanks!
    Please disregard my fuse question. It has been fixed. thanks
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What was the fix?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    The windows were caused by some sort of short with a switch. As for the lights, it was just a freak coincidence that not only did both bulbs blow on the same day (I'm positive about that) but that happened to take place at the same time as the window problem. I've decided that it's best not to think about it.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I've decided that it's best not to think about it.

That's probably wise. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • luckyfinzluckyfinz Member Posts: 1
    So, I was told by a local repair shop that my rear Wheel Cylinders are bad and need to be replaced. I figured I'd save the $150 in labor costs and do it myself.

I got the drum on one side off without much trouble. The problem is, the other side I can't get to budge. In the repair manual, it talks about removing the access plug, inserting a screwdriver to lift the adjuster lever off the adjusting wheel and using another screwdriver to turn the wheel.

For the life of me, I couldn't get the adjuster wheel to turn in the direction that contracts the shoes. Any suggestions? I tried it for about 2 hours today and didn't get anywhere. I just can't seem to get the right leverage to move the adjuster lever.
  • sschucksschuck Member Posts: 7
    Experenced a problem today while driving when I came to a stop or let off the gas the engine would die but would fire right back up. At times it would studder and act like it wasn't getting fuel when pushing the pedal but then take off. It was pretty aggrivating when it did this in an intersection while turning also. This is a 1995 Pathfinder. Thanks for any help.
    i would start with checking the fuel filter or even a vacumn hose
  • nhutchinsonnhutchinson Member Posts: 3
    I have an 05 Pathfinder with 63000 miles that is constantly either stalling outright or sputtering so bad that I have to turn the key off and try to re-start. While it's sputtering it will not respond to stepping on the gas pedal. Sometimes it starts right up, other times it just sputters and I have to try to re-start again. It has always fired up after 2 or 3 tries. This most often happens when I'm stopped at a street light but it has also occured when I'm driving down the road but not at highway speeds. It has occured with a full tank of gas as well as a 1/4 tank of gas. Has done it in cold weather and warm. Has been acting like this for about 3 weeks but seems to be getting worse. Took it into the dealership but no codes were registered and they had no idea what was causing it after having the truck for a day. They could not duplicate the problem. Check engine light will come on while the truck is sputtering but does not remain on once it re-starts. This is causing me some serious grief and the dealership doesn't seem to have a clue where to start.
  • OEP96PathOEP96Path Member Posts: 1
    I had this same issue with my 96 Pathy....it is not the AC drain (usually).

Open passenger side door and check the space below the hinges (behind front mudflaps). There is a drain there that drains water from the windshield (water flows from base of windshield to the space inbetween the door and qtr panel. Mine was clogged with leaves and other junk. Take an air hose or vacuum and get as much of the junk out as possible. Pour some water on windshield to check that you cleared the drain.
  • milaeomilaeo Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 05 Pathfinder LE with 85000kms and exactly the same problem. In fact, it started acting up around the same time you posted this message. The first time it happened (stalled 7 times in 3 days), I brought it in and the dealership found codes that pointed towards the battery (it was no longer holding a charge). They replaced it, gave it back to me, and by the next morning it was stalling on my driveway. I brought back, and the computer no longer registered any codes. They could not get it to fault, but decided to replace the fuel pump anyway. 1-1/2 days went by with the car operating great, and then the car started to stall again (4 times in about 20 minutes). After the last sputter (no stall, just no power for about 10 seconds and a flashing/flickering dashboard and gauges) I drove for 40min with no issues right to the dealership. With the car still running from the last issue, they hooked it up to the computer and no codes were found. The dealership had it for next 5 days, put 250kms on the car, but could not pull codes, or get it to duplicate the problem again. I've just got it back and am pretty choked that the problem is not truely resolved.
    Please let me know if you've found a solution!
  • nhutchinsonnhutchinson Member Posts: 3
    The first dealership I took it to did the same thing. Couldn't find any codes and couldn't duplicate the problem. I took it to another dealership who found codes in the memory and that my truck was in "fail safe mode". According to them, all indications pointed to a faulty IPDM (Intelligent Power Distribution Module). They replaced the part a few days ago and everything seems to be working fine but the issue was so sporadic that I'm not sure if anything is actually fixed. The part is $200.00 US plus another $160.00 for labor so it isn't cheap by any means but hopefully that was the issue. Also, Nissan ended up paying for the part. The dealership had some issues getting one in. They had one in stock but it turned out to be faulty. Apparently there were only 2 others in the entire US (according to the service manager). This all seems a little strange to me. I'm guessing that there's an issue with the IPDM's. It's not like a car company to pay for parts unless there's a pretty good reason. Especially in this economy. Hope this helps, both of us.
  • ctomctom Member Posts: 11
    I have a new '08 Pathfinder S. Almost instantly, the spare tire was stolen along with the hardware to hold it in place. When I went to the dealer to get a new spare and hardware, the dealer said they are not aware of special way of securing the tire so it can't be stolen, which seems nuts to me.

Anyone have any recommendations? Many thanks.