Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• skinnytonyskinnytony Member Posts: 121
    The climate control on my 2002 recently developed the problem where the fan blows on high constantly and will not turn off. Took it to the dealer today and was told I need a new "blower motor kit" which will cost $415. Ouch. Anyone else had this problem or heard of this? Any advice or suggestions?
  • kzriderkzrider Member Posts: 2
    My well maintained 02 pathfinder with 77,000 recently started consuming oil, about a quart every 1000 miles. I discovered that the right valve cover plugs up and the pcv valve starts sucking oil into the intake. The apparent fix is replacing the right valve cover with a newly desinged one. I assume it is newly designed because the part number has changed from the original.
    Has anyone else experienced this?

KZrider
  • greenleaf1greenleaf1 Member Posts: 1
    Suddenly both my ABS and Brake warning lights came on at the same time. Im trying to figure out why this is and repair it. The Brake fluid is level but not sure when it has been changed. The brake pads are pretty low front and back. Im not hearing the scratching sound of a low brake pad but they are low. I figured if I replaced the pads....rear first to see if it gets the warning lights off I might solve the problem. I was going to replace the rear pads only to discover some additional bolt with a rubber housing keeping the caliper on. Should I continue with this barke pad solution or is this something else? THANKS
  • almattialmatti Member Posts: 164
    One of the belts (I beleive there are 2 of them) makes that slipping noise, but only occassionally. Aside from replacing it, is there other measure I can follow?
  • shark715shark715 Member Posts: 382
    The tension can be adjusted, but assuming it's the original belt from 8 years ago you should just replace it as it doesn't cost that much. Belts deteriorate from heat and the passage of time, and slipping doesn't help either. When you consider the results of the belt breaking while you are on the road, replacing the belt would be smart preventative maintenance.
  • EichBahrEichBahr Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I just received a 93 Pathy XE with 75,000 miles on it.
    How much should i pay (in US) for timing belt replacement and do I need to do this right away or do I have a little leeway on this ?

Also, is this a DIY job ?

Thanks,
    Bahr
  • tedchristensentedchristensen Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Pathfinder LE that I bought used. About 18 months after I bought it, I began to hear a clunking/clicking sound that seems to be coming from under the front of the car. It usually only happpens after I have driven it for a few minutes and only when I tap lightly on the brakes. I can even feel it a little in the brake pedal. I took it to my mechanic to check the brakes, but he said they're all good, and even even he is stumped. Otherwise, the perfomance and braking power is fine.
  • pathfiderowenrpathfiderowenr Member Posts: 10
    is have a 95 pathfinder with a head light prob both fues are good it is the driver side light that dont work olny when you turne it on for night driving
    Shark: i did replace all belts (not the Timing Chain) and filters, and some hoses at 75k. Now have 113k on the clock. I think you're right though, should replace the belt and other hoses, flush and replace antifreeze, 4WD complete servie too. I also have some of the power window motors "slowing down considerably. I will need a tune-up as well. here's the question : Do I start poring $$$ into a 8 year old Pathy - no loan[free & clear] or opt for a new or lo-mileaage Certified PO replacement. I am really considering a Hyundai Santa Fe. I don't go Off-Road.
  • TtscrewTtscrew Member Posts: 3
    Just a timing belt replacement no more than $300.00 parts & labor. You have no leeway because it should have been replaced 2x by now. On your particluar year it is recommended to be replaced every 5 years or 60,000 miles whichever comes first. Keep in mind the belt material degrades. Also, once the timing belts cover is taken off the waterpump and cam seals need to be inspected so be prepared to have them possibly be replaced too. This not a DIY job get a certified tech. to do the replacement. If you pay someone to do the timing belt, timing tensioner, waterpump, drive belts and cam seals don't pay more than $1000.00 parts and labor.
    So long as your truck is reasonably trouble free (and '01 Pathfinders generally are if properly maintained) it will be FAR less expensive to spend the money to maintain your truck versus buying something new. Just calculate the numbers. With your current truck most months you will have no expenses other than fuel, and if you buy a new truck, soon you will be spending $ to maintain that too. Your analysis should also include the difference in fuel expense, but if your PF is not habitually troublesome you will still find it's cheaper to keep the PF.
  • iluvnissaniluvnissan Member Posts: 3
    My 95 Pathfinder is also doing this....right headlamp stays on. I pulled the fuses and it didn't correct the problem...fuse in, light goes back on. Is there an answer anyone?
  • CamelfilterCamelfilter Member Posts: 1
    Howdy! I'm new to this site, but have lurked for a bit and gotten some great help/tips/advice. Thanks!

Here is my experience getting some helper springs for my 2000 SE:

I asked at my local tune up place if they could help stabalize the rear end with airshocks or something. They told me airshocks are not available, but I could go with air bags, I remembered reading about them on here a while ago, so did some more searching, and found good reviews about the Airlift1000 setup.

I bought a kit online for 79$, as I was having difficulty getting them localy (even through my shop). I scheduled an apointment at my shop for some maintenence (belt change etc & install the helper springs). My shop unfortunately couldn't give me a definite install price for the airbags. They were really concerned that once they started they might get tied up replacing worn out bushings stuck parts etc etc. Perfectly understandable since my Pathy is an east coast truck, and likely has all kinds of salt seized bits underneath.

I asked around at work, and folks recomended Les Schwab (a pretty decent North West tire store company). I went to Schwabs, but they will not install carry in parts. They quoted a price around 500$ to order and install. They also were nice enough to recomend a few local shops which would install carry in parts, and even called over to them while I was on my way. Schwabs is a pretty good chain to deal with.

The shop I went to said that they couldn't do it for less than Schwab's quote, again more concerned about getting tied up with the "unknown" once they started the job. They were going to charge minimum 4hrs labor. They also recomended another local chain "All American Truck & SUV". All american quoted a flat install rate of 175$, and offered to install same day.

The install took them an hour, and they did the install the recomended way (drop the rear end, remove the springs, drill etc etc). Pretty nice job! Actual charge was 146$.

All American Truck & SUV has a few shops in Oregon, so if your out this way and thinking of an upgrade definitely give them a call. They also could have ordered in the part pretty easily. They've also got all kinds of accessories (would be kinda scary to go in there with a fat wallet).

Anyways, sorry for the long post, but I figured I'd chime in with my thanks again to you all for the great advice-and hopefully help someone else in the future.
  • jon73jon73 Member Posts: 1
    I have the SAME exact problem. My Pathy stalls while driving down the road, and sometimes when I try to start it - it cranks but won't turn over. In fact- I took it in today to the dealership, and they dianosed it as a bad IPDM. Same thing - it's going to take a couple of days to fix because they need to order the part. My question is this - how did you get Nissan to pay for the part? Is your Pathfinder still under warranty? Does anyone know how I could avoid paying for the part if Nissan has had issues with the IPDM?
  • nhutchinsonnhutchinson Member Posts: 3
    My Pathfinder was not under warranty. The dealership "insisted" that Nissan pay for the part. Their logic was that this part never fails and therefore Nissan should pay for it. That's what I was told. I tend to believe that they were more concerned with the fact that this was the third time they said the part would be there. The two previous times it had not arrived as promised and no one had bothered to tell me until I called to ask if my truck was ready. In the end they saved me 300 bucks so I have no reason to complain at all.

Good luck.
    What should I expect to pay for servcie on the 01 Pathy in the very near future (113k miles): 4WD service [change ALL of the oils and fluids]; 2 window motors are really slow - breaking down; not sure if I have been able to correct the water seepage I've reported on this site (Pass side at the floor); New Tires are needed [Looking at General Grabbers HTS - had Michelins, too much $$$$]; complete tune up; worn leather seat Driver side front. If you add it up, being in the NY area [EVERYTHING costs more $$$$ here], Do I spend upwards of $2,500 to $3,000 into a 7n year old vehicle without a warranty or take the plunge, say, for a new Hyundai SF AWD Limited with a 10 year warranty ??? with this Pathy as a Trade-in. If I keep it for 3 years or so, with the investment for the repairs and maintenance - what will it be worth in 2012???
  • dmurr3dmurr3 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 SE with similar problems regarding window slowness. However, I don't believe it's a motor problem. It's been happening ever since I bought the car when it had 8,000 miles on it, and the problem tends to be worse in extremely cold weather. I believe (as does the dealership I took it to while under warranty) the problem has to do with the window gaskets and how they expand and contract in response to temperature changes. My suggestion is to not worry about it if you can, and in very cold weather, try to avoid rolling the window(s) down completely. That's worked for me for about 7 years. Replacing the gaskets did not fix the problem, so I'm not sure there's even a solution.

Normally, General makes low quality tires. But the Grabber HTS are a Best Buy according to Consumer Reports. That's good enough for me. You could probably get a set, assuming they make the tire in the right size for the 2001 Pathfinder, for about $550 - $600, is my guess, which should include alignment.

I'll leave it to the experts in this forum to take guesses regarding the cost of all the repairs you mentioned (I am not a mechanic, just an owner), but (not including the water leak problem) I'd be pretty shocked if it cost between $2,500 - $3,000 to do all that work. But I live in RI, so what do I know about NY prices.

It's almost always cheaper to keep your old car on the road rather than buy a new one that would include monthly payments and interest. I've actually done the math and figured out that over the life of my Pathfinder, I've paid $48 per month in maintenance costs. That includes everything from tires, to bulbs, oil changes, belts...you name it. There's no clear answer to your question because there are so many variables (how long you would keep the Pathfinder, how well the engine has been treated so far, cost of current repairs vs. value of truck, maybe you have kids and are concerned about crash safety, etc.), but generally speaking it's best to keep your old car on the road.

I hope this helps. Dave
    First of all, read the fine print on the Hyundai warranty. Lots of things are not covered. And where are you getting $2500-$3000 from? The tires will be your largest expense, about $500. Changing all the fluids, perhaps $300. The water seepage is likely just a matter of unclogging the roof drain (BTW, I doubt that Hyundai would cover this type of repair under warranty). What do you mean by a complete tune up? All you need to do is change the spark plugs and air filter (should be $150 or so with labor). Does the seat really need to be repaired? Get a price from an auto upholstory shop? Perhaps $100 for that? Your analysis should not be concerned with what the Pathy will be worth in 3 years...your focus should be on how much it will depreciate over that period...perhaps $2500?...your new Hyundai will have appreciated by that much before you even get home from the dealer, even much more so the next 3 years! Don't forget to figure in the financing cost on the new vehicle and the increased insurance cost. Sounds like you really want a new vehicle and are trying to justify it to yourself :)
    Also I agree with demurr on the windows. Mine have also been slow for years, but they have never failed to close.
  • budmantombudmantom Member Posts: 33
    I assume that your Pathfinder is paid off, pretend it's not.... spend $400 per month on it and in 3 months you will have the new tires, clean fluids & a tune-up.
  • waynewestwaynewest Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 Pathfinder, and the little light bulb in my ashtray has stopped working. Does anyone know how to fix it or replace it??

I opened up the center console, and got to the bulb. But it's not exactly just a bulb ... it's some kind of small gizmo with the bulb (permanently?) attached. Can this gizmo be replaced? What do I even ask for at the auto parts store?

Any advice would be much appreciated!
  • waynewestwaynewest Member Posts: 3
    Hi all -- I have a couple of lighted switches on the dash, and the lights have stopped working. These are the lighted switches that control the AC.

Are these easy to replace or fix?...

1. The light bulb that sits behind the Air Conditioning on/off button on the dash. This one lights the AC button BLUE when it is pressed on.
    2. The light bulb that sits behind the 'recirculate inside air' button on the dash. This button sits right next to the AC button, and lights up GREEN when pressed on

How hard is it to replace these bulbs? I took apart the dash and pulled out the climate control unit a little, but then it started to look a little more complicated than I originally thought.

Any advice would be appreciated!
  • iluvnissaniluvnissan Member Posts: 3
    I replaced my headlights switch on the stearing column and that fixed this problem, as someone suggested on another part of this website...thanks.
    First Thanks to Shark, Bud, and Dmurr. I've decided to keep the Pathy. The engine and ride is very good. Getting the General Grabberw HTS (a new 2008 tire, highly rated as the "best" by Consumer reports), a tune up [change the plugs & filters] and chnage the 4WD fluids - (that I'm still debating only b/c "if it ain't broke don't fix it" ideaology). Taking into account the loan payments vs. No loan Payments (on the Pathy), in this Economy, has corrected my thinking. The only thing that worries me is that I've done this New $$$$ into an older 1994 Jeep Cherokee B 4, and it "backfired". The money pit spicket opened - the repair bills kept coming, & then I traded the vehicle for this 2001 Pathy [bought it used] and I would've received the same $$$$ if I didn't spend the extra bucks...
    Once again, my comments assume your PF has been properly maintained. If not, you could be headed toward major engine, transmission, cooling system, etc. bills. And of course there are no guarantees. Keep in mind that there's a huge difference between your Cherokee and the PF...just look a the frequency of repair records published by Consumer Reports. One other thing...if you plan to keep the PF long term it could be a worthwile investment to have the A/C refrigerant fully evacuated and refilled. Over time the refrigerant absorbs moisture which causes the parts in the system to rust and then leak. should cost under $100 to have done.
    Yes, the PF has been maintained : Oil & Filter changes every 3-4k miles, coolant flushes, Tranny fluid changes, belts, hoses, battery and brakes - brake fluid flush & refill. Now I'm pricing a Tune up. Contacted my local Nissan Dealer, in Port Chester, NY. I ask for a price on a "tune up" : plugs & filters - the basic, classic tune up. No....... They don't just do that, he says. I need to go for the 105k service, which includes, spark plugs, filters, oil chnage, tranny fluid change, and some other small Check ups"....for $650. Oh the best is yet to come: "Oh Yeah.....the PF has platinum spark plus, that's an extra charge". I told him that was outlandish.
    I'll be sure to look into the A/C purge and refill. I'll have it checked, but again: If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It. That's like the old carpenter's rule: Measure Twice, cut Once....
  • Handyworx64Handyworx64 Member Posts: 2
    The drivers side high beam will not work? I have replaced both right and left bulbs and checked the wiring harness the best I could for damaged wires. I have also checked the fuses with no issues there. I was wondering if anyone else has had this similar problem and what it could be? Both low beam lights work fine but when you turn on the high beams, the right one works and the left does not? Any Ideas?
  • dodgemn07dodgemn07 Member Posts: 2
    hi there mine is in the shop for the same reason the torsion bar in the back the bushing wore out when shifting thru gears or letting off the gas it swerved in the back like a rear end dance check out the torsion bar in the back it runs front and back one on each side the one that is bad on mine is the drivers rear side one the bushings are out making the bolt swerve front and back hope this helps
  • dodgemn07dodgemn07 Member Posts: 2
    i am in need of help i have a 95 nissan pathfinder and i bought it knowing that the spedometer and odemeter didn't work but the other gauges does like tach gas etc, does the 95 have a cable or sensor or does it have both
  • mpuzio34mpuzio34 Member Posts: 2
    I brought my car in for a tune up 60,000 miles. The car has had no problems at all so far. The day I picked up my car after the tune up my Check engine light came on. I brought it back to the mechanic and he said it was an o2 sensor issue and that it had nothing to do with the tune up!!! I really don't believe him and think he should fix the problem that he created. Can basic tune up with spark plug and fuel filter replacement, if replaced incorrectly, cause the check engine light to come on?
  • sschucksschuck Member Posts: 7
    Go back to the place you had the tune up and talk to the Service Manager and explain to him or her the repairs you had done and what has happened. Ask them if they would see if anything was pulled loose while working on the vehicle as this can give a false code. It is worth a try because it can happen and as you said nothing was wrong when you took it in.
  • alwaysbusyalwaysbusy Member Posts: 11
    My 06 Pathfinder is at 66k. My check engine light was on a few months back , for 30 days. It went off ON MY WAY to the appt! so didn't think more about it. Came on again on Dec 25 so after 6 weeks I decided to go back to Nissan. Good thing I did! They ended up replacing the CATALYTIC CONVERTER... under warranty.
    On virtually all modern cars there is no longer a service procedure called a "tune up". You just replace the spark plugs at the mileage intervals specified in the owners manual (typically far less often than the air filter) and there's nothing else to do...all other ignition functions are computer controlled and don't need to be checked unless a problem is indicated. You might want to go to a local Autozone where they will "read" the check engine light for you for free, so you can verify that the check engine light is in fact turned due to an O2 sensor issue, and that it's not something else. The reason I suggest that is because a faulty spark plug or loose spark plug wire could also be turning on the light, and those are two examples of a problem that could have been created by the work they did (although one would think they would have just fixed it...spark plugs are cheap, and verifying that the spark plug wires are on tight would take just a few minutes.) It's also possible that they accidentally loosened or damaged the wire going to one of the O2 sensors. But it's also possible it's just pure coincidence and that one of the O2 sensors is shot. It's not unusual at all for them to last only 50 to 100k miles. But there's good news...I'm fairly certain that the O2 sensors are covered under warranty on your truck for 8 years or 80k miles. Check your warranty booklet. I'm fairly certain that the warranty is a EPA requirement.
  • mike334mike334 Member Posts: 9
    Strange question wondering if anyone has come across this.

I have a 2006 Pathfinder. My check engine and gas gauge have been intermittently working. Problem occurs when i fill up. For the first couple of miles, my gas gauge does not work (registers empty) and the check engine light lights up. After a couple of miles the gas gauge begins to work but the ck engine light remains on until the tank gets below a ~1/2.

Can anyone explain? Have you seen heard this before.
    yes! the non=working gas gauge was the first thing I posted about. got my 06 brand new in March 06. it was in the shop 3 times from then til July for this problem (related problem). It would, as I recall, stay on 1/8 tank (I was on my way to get gas both times, honest!) then RUN OUT. Engine stop. -0- gas. they tried to tell me it was my fault for letting it get too low and the sensor dried out, or something. Anyway it got fixed under warranty.
    Also have had CHECK ENGINE light problems more recently. I am at 68k now. DON'T WAIT, have them check it. Don't let them tell you that you don't screw the gas tank stopper thing on tightly enough. Mine was the catalytic converter... $1000 bill... but covered! under warranty til 80k.
    sometimes I think -if only I'd bought the Honda. but I do love the features on this car.
  • mike334mike334 Member Posts: 9
    appreciate the advice.. i'm going to take in tomorrow.. I did, however go to local autozone. the gal there did a diagnostic test for me and gave me the error code causing the problem.. it was "fuel gauge sensor" or loose wires to the sensor.. curiously i ck'd the fuses in my fuse box and wires to the fuel pump.. i did find a loose fuse for electronic controls.. once i replaced, the ck engine light went off and all gauges are working... We'll see if the dealership comes up with the same thing or if they dream up something thats not covered under warranty to bang me for a couple C notes...
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,277
    All, I read up on the death sway issue discussed way back on here and want to replace the bushings for the rear links on my 97 Pathfinder. Can anyone recommend a good 4WD supply house? Per my mechanic, the dealer only sells the complete links, not just a bushing kit.

Can anyone tell me where to get the bushings and hardware?
  • ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    I have been reading about people having problems with the gas gauge as soon as they hit the 40,000 miles. It starts working on and off. The indicator of the DTE sometimes give you a reading and sometimes shows "__ __ __ __". Today I called Nissan USA to complain because the warranty is over at 36,000 miles and this problems starts at 40,000. They say that the fuel gauge is not covered under the 60,000 powertrain warranty.
    If enough people contact Nissan USA directly by phone and then again in writing we might create enough of a force to make them recall the feul gauge. It will not happen by us complaining to ourselves, we need to get proactive and start calling Nissan USA and sending them certified letter. It might not be a bad idea to also send a copy certified to the CEO of Nissan USA together with a small mention of the Lemon Law.
    On my 2006 -- I did look into the Lemon law a bit. It only appllied up to XX months you owned the car, and/or up to XX miles. I think I was over it. I also wrote about my problems to Nissan North America; also gave the local dealership manager a chance (first) to respond. he did not. Nissan NA didn't care either. I actually opened a 'case' with them, and it was fruitless. They did nothing.
    My problem with that ended up being fixed but not without alot of stress and headaches. (at the time, my problem involved the gas gauge indicator getting stuck at 1/8 tank when in fact it was empty, and I got the ol' - - - - reading while ON THE FREEWAY, on my way to Costco to get gas. Twice. )
    Mine happened at prob. 6k miles or so.
    But - notice to all whose Check Engine ('service engine soon') lights are coming on. Mine was on for 2 months (the 2nd time around), and I just got a new catylitic converter. I'm at 68k. (under warranty - whoo hoo). If your light is on, don't let it go too long.
    I have 113k miles on the clock. Just started - a vibration in the gas pedal at 45 MPH, worsening as the speed increases! Anybody have a clue? Had the spark plugs replaced about a month ago. Wait, my son just emailed me: says the RPMs seem out of wack.... Uh Oh: Could this be Tranny issues. My PF is an LE with 4WD.
    Hi. Has anyone else had problems with receiving service engine codes 420 and 430 in their 2001 SE? About 2 yrs ago my truck popped a code 420. I simply reset it and it didn't happen again until last week. This time it was a 420 and 430. I reset the codes on Tuesday and they haven't returned (yet). Anyone had a similar experience? Those codes indicate 1 of about 10 possible problems, and I'm not going to dig the engine around until it because a consistent problem. Thanks.
    To this Forum memebers: The vibration mentioned in this thread is clarified as follows: It is felt in the pedal and in the seat. It starts at 45mph, continues when accelerating up to about 60 mph, then is smoother at 65-70 mph. When decelerating, it starts to increase at 60 - 45 mph, then smooths out. It's NOT the tranny, it shifts fine, no clunking shifting into various gears. Could it be the wheel balancing, CV joints, wheel bearings?? New tires 6 weeks ago, fully balanced wheels that were smooth. I inspected the tires for bulges, inflation, flats - all OK. Any Ideas??
    The 2001 Pathfinder's tires are a pain to balance and require the proper tools. Some places that do tire changes don't have the tools for it or have the tools but don't know to use them. Sears, for example, botched my balance 3 times in a row before they figured out they weren't using the correct tools for balancing the kind of rim the Pathfinder uses. And my regular mechanic can't even do a balance on my Pathfinder. That would be the first thing I'd check.

If that isn't the problem and the tires themselves are good, then it sounds like a CV joint to me. When the CV joint wears down you often get that vibration at certain speeds.

Just in case, you may want to put the car in park, rev the engine, and see if you get any vibration while sitting in park. This might tell you if it's an engine problem instead of a wheel/joint problem (although I'd be pretty surprised if you had an engine issue given your description of the problem).
    Dmurr, P0420 indicates a problem with the left catalytic converter, and P0430 indicates a problem with the right one. You mentioned that the codes indicate 1 of about 10 problems, but that's not correct. The codes are very specific. Nissan issued a service bulletin related to these codes many years ago. The bulletin number is NTB02-087a. The computer software originally installed in your truck was faulty in that it thinks your converters are worn out before they really are, and causes your "check engine light" to be turned on. Nissan has a software upgrade that fixes this, and your dealer will "re-flash" the computer so that the software is upgraded. Irrespective of the mileage on your vehicle this should be done for free, as the defective software was in your vehicle the date it rolled out of the factory. I hope you will take the time to let us know if this resolves the problem.
    shark715, this is great information. Thanks for letting me know. As soon as I have a chance I will contact a Nissan dealership to have this addressed and will add a post letting you know what the result is. Thanks again!
    dmurr3: Had tires rotated today. That's NOT the problem. mechanic looked at the entire drive train. On another forum, a member indicated that the driveshaft "U" joint was probably the issue. The mechanic today told me he detect a slight wiggle in that unit and showed me. That shaft is supposed to be absolutely solid. And he was not able to inspect the transfer case oil b/c he couldn't get the plug out ....Uh OH !! He recommended to take it to the Nissan Dealer. Sounds like big $$$. I knew I should've traded this PF in a few months ago without buying new tires, & replacing the spark plugs in past 2 months. Japanese car or Not, they all have some planned Obsolescence. With 8 years and 113k under the belt [although, everyone you speak to says that's is only 1/2 of this vehicle's useful life], it may be at the end of it's economic life. I don't think I'll be getting any more Trucks...
  • gsemikegsemike Member Posts: 2,277
    My 97 PF has an intermittent starting problem. It only happens now and then. When it happens, the car is completely unresponsive when I turn the key. It has plenty of juice but the starter just does nothing, not even a click. If I give it a while, it will always start. Something it takes a few more tries, sometimes it's a few hours.
  • adolfolamelaadolfolamela Member Posts: 5
    hi,

my '02 se pathfinder recently turned the service engine soon light on. The manual says that it has something to do with an emission problem and I want to now if this is a serious problem, can I keep using it like this or shoul I run to the mechanic?

In order to fix it is it an expensive repair?
    It's impossible to answer your question without more information as the light could be turned on by several dozen different issues, but if you light is on (or has been on) a fault code should be stored in your engine's computer. If you happen to have an Autozone nearby, they will tell you the code(s) for free (or perhaps you have a friend with an OBDII scan tool that can read out the code(s) for you). Once you have the code(s), if you repost here one of us will likely be able to give you a good idea what the issue is with your truck. It could very well be a serious problem that could cause other issues long term, plus your truck will not pass state inspection unless it's repaired.
    I posted a few times about this recently. I have an 06. Light came on, stayed on couple months, turned off. Nissan said 'nothing to worry about unless it starts flashing'. I did not leave it there for a diagnostic. Couple months later, came on again and stayed on.
    TURNS OUT - they needed to replace the CATALYTIC CONVERTER! $1000 + work. BUT it was covered under warranty - he said up to 80 K.
    so get in there and see if that is it!!
    (the first time I brought it in, they were instructing me in tightening the gas cap... and said it sometimes needs several cycles to 'right itself' if you haven't tightened it). good luck