Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    crystaltodcrystaltod Member Posts: 16
    Some say OTD +ttl and then some just say OTD.

What is the correct usage of OTD?

Thanks
    Crystal
  • Options
    mich_chowmich_chow Member Posts: 58
    Did you just delete them or moved them to another thread? I would leave the posts (that are off-topic) here for (say) a couple of days and would ask the owner to remove or post it in the appropriate place. You can either delete or move them after 'so' many days if the owner does not take action. So that we can read the posts and then they can be moved to more appropriate place (if any). I would not 'delete' the posts without giving the owner a chance to move or readers a chance to read. I understand that this is just for pricing and buying experience, but I would not delete someone thoughts and (hard) work without giving them a chance. Thank you.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    Out the door means price, taxes, fees...everything paid to dealer is totalled into one price. Many use this OTD method of pricing in presenting a offer to a dealer.
    i.e "Mr. Dealer...I will give you an OTD price of $28,000 for that yeller Ody EX sitting over yonder"
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    needaminivan2needaminivan2 Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me which dealer you got this deal from? I'm down in Vancouver, WA and have quotes from Portland to Seattle and nothing less than $600 below MSRP for an EXL RES NAV. The Best quotes I have are:

EXL - $29950 + ttl
    EXL RES - $31599 +ttl
    EXL RES NAV -$33663 +ttl

No one is budging in the area so any help would be great!
  • Options
    hraohrao Member Posts: 78
    Resale values for Honda projected by ALG and Edmunds are somewhat overrated.
    even with ALG projections, monthly ownership costs are still high for honda.
    Monthly ownership costs
  • Options
    zebra5zebra5 Member Posts: 47
    Wow, reading your post just elevated my blood pressure. Sccrzeus, I commend you on not "going postal" during your experience, and having the discipline to factually present your experience for us DFW readers in this forum. Your post should be required reading for auto sales managers everywhere. Unfortunately, I don't think for a minute this approach is unique to Vandergriff. I've personally had a similar bad experience at a John Eagle dealership (which you apparently liked) two years ago: I wasted three painful hours of my life there that I'll never get back, and I haven't set foot in any dealership since.

I have several genuinely serious questions, for any "insider" on this forum with the courage to tell the truth:
    1) Is it clear to the auto sales management that follow these forums why the majority of people find shopping for new cars unenjoyable?
    2) Is the sales approach of Vandergriff which sccrzeus described in effect a "profit-maximizing approach" employed on popular car models in high demand?
    3) Do some dealerships intentionally orchestrate the sales approach like that, or did sccrzeus just simply stumble across gross ineptitude and a display of bad faith?

Seriously, I want an '05 Ody, but I think I'll just hold onto my nine year old car till it drops dead. Who needs this aggravation anyway?

- zebra5
  • Options
    looking4hondalooking4honda Member Posts: 1
    I heard you. TWICE, i had the odyssey(s) confirmed with price, vin#, and other details but both dealers sold both minivans when i arrived at the dealership. This is in Southern California in the South Bay area. I'll post the dealer names after I file a complaint with the BBB and a letter to the attorney general because i am totally upset with their actions. :mad:
  • Options
    jackybanjackyban Member Posts: 7
    Folks,

Thank you all for your posts as you have guided me to a great deal and now I am sharing my experience.

I helped my sister acquired her Slate Green EXL with RES at Spirit Honda in southern california for the following price:

$30,200: This price includes CrossBar, 3rd row sunshade, mudguard, wheel lock, and your standard floor mats. Do what you will with this information to get what YOU want because it basically boils down to getting the color you want and how soon you want the vehicle. I basically time this just right as they are leaving with the van on a trip this fine Saturday morning.

My advice is you still need to get a list of the dealers you need to call to negotiate for the vehicle that you are looking for. I found that when you do mass emails from site like Edmunds, most dealers would just tell you to call them back anyways. I just went down the list and call their 800 numbers, ask if they have the color i want, and then I get down to the deal.

thank you all again....Good luck in your hunt and I am sure most will land even better deals than this.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    That's because nobody has any Odysseys to sell you! Inventory is down to nothing.
  • Options
    roastboarroastboar Member Posts: 10
    Try Discovery Honda at Moses Lake, Internet Department. I bought the car a week ago and at that time, he said that he'd be willing to give the same deal to anyone else, subject to availability. You can mention that I had bought a car from him last weekend for 750 over invoice and that I referred you.
  • Options
    tommyt1tommyt1 Member Posts: 1
    You should pay $20000. out the door.
  • Options
    "Subject to availability"

That's the problem. Inventories are down to almost nothing. The small dealers must REALLY be out.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    I've been on two lots here in Columbus this week and there are plenty of Odysseys available.

Maybe that's why prices in Ohio have been about the best in the country.
  • Options
    kondalakondala Member Posts: 5
    On Sat, dealer offered EXL + dealer installed RES (with mudguard,wheel-lock, spoiler) for $30,750...the dealer did not budge even one-dollar.. ended up filling in the forms for credit-check..but have NOT yet signed any agreement papers...will do that on Monday after the dealer will have installed the RES in the dealership..

At that time, I thought it was a great deal, but reading the rates that everyone has been getting at this time of the year..I now strongly feel it was not a great deal at all..

Do you think I should call the dealer, the first thing in the morning before he embarks on the RES addition, to re-negotiate by threatening to backout.

(pitfall is that this golden color EXL (which my wife loves) is not there with any other dealer in-stock )

Pls advise so that I can get some sleep.
  • Options
    jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    If you think you can get this same van elsewhere, and save $400 or more, then do so.

If $30,000 + is the going rate in your area, make wifey pooh happy and go ahead and buy it. Though with wifey pooh so happy with that new golden van...you still may not get much sleep. ;):blush:
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    By all means, call the dealer BEFORE they start the RES installation. However, bear in mind that price is mostly dependent on local market conditions and prices quoted here (unless directly applicable to your situation) will have little or no influence on the dealer.
  • Options
    laurelklaurelk Member Posts: 2
    FYI, my sister purchased an EX-L with RES & Nav at Robertson Honda in North Hollywood last month for $33,200. I just yesterday purchased a Touring at Stevens Creek Honda in San Jose for $36,000.

Deal went surprisingly smoothly, we saw the car on Friday night, I gave them my price over the phone on Saturday and held totally firm, no negotiating. They eventually took it. I then took my trade in, we were off by $2k but they ended up splitting it with me, so I felt pretty good. I had only budgeted an additional $500 from the trade, and it saves us a lot of hassle trying to sell the car.

Thanks to all who post on this site, it's helpful info! Also, we found a dealer in FL that is selling the extended warranty at a heavy discount. My dealer's cost ($1400) was still $100 over their discounted price to me ($1305) so I'm giving them a shot.

About six weeks ago I had a local dealer quote me $500 over MSRP as the Costco price. HA! A couple weeks later another dealer was down to MSRP. So, my sense is that perhaps deals are starting to go on the 2005 models, if you can find what you want. Tourings are getting hard to find. I was going to buy from Robertson, but they said they only had one and other dealers wouldn't trade them. Good luck!
  • Options
    mikeriiamikeriia Member Posts: 1
    I bought an Odyssey touring, without DVD or GPS, two weeks ago for $31,450, destination included in that price. Western suburbs of Chicago.

But I went back to get my "wheel locks" to protect my very expensive tires, and the salesperson I bought the car from told me that the touring editions with GPS and DVD are selling at 1000 under MSRP--- and there is very little 05 inventory left

By the way, the wheel locks are nothing more than special lug nuts--- I have a feeling you could buy them for $50 and install yourself in 10 minutes
  • Options
    laurelklaurelk Member Posts: 2
    I should add, my Touring has the Nav and RES systems. I forget that you can get them without that! So, my price was about $870 over invoice (including $515 destination charge) or $3K under MSRP.
  • Options
    buy4less1buy4less1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy Odyssey EX-L in Washington DC area. So far I have had horrible expreience. Most dealers are out of EX-L and are not even honoring their internet quotes. I got a quote of 28434 + F + TTL from Brown's honda, but when I went to the dealership they said they are no longer honoring that price. Can someone recommend a good dealership around DC area?
  • Options
    rktechrktech Member Posts: 25
    Great price laurel !! The Touring model is getting very hard to find here in central IL...dealers are saying no one will dealer trade...yadda yadda yadda...anyway, congrats !
  • Options
    starbux4mestarbux4me Member Posts: 25
    Pohanka in Salisbury MD is where I got mine. Just know how to work the deal and stick to your guns. If you want to drive that far, try going thru their internet dept first. We did get a response from them when we were looking, but we were already headed that way before we were able to read it and dealt with them in person, but the emails and all from them looked like it would have been a good way to deal with them. link titlepohanka
  • Options
    gretchencgretchenc Member Posts: 1
    I've been watching pricing at AutoFair in NH and noticed that the Touring with NAV RES suddenly dropped about $1000, putting it $400 under invoice. Someone else here recently mentioned "under invoice" Tourings. What's up with that? '06s arriving soon? The recall?

I'm still trying to figure out '05 vs '06 and found this a curious development.

Thanks!
  • Options
    sorexcusesorexcuse Member Posts: 7
    I've been looking for an EX-L with RES for over a month (wife will only accept Tafetta White) and was wondering the same thing myself. No one in the upstate NY area has the exact one we are looking for so asked the dealer about 2006 models. One dealer actually told me the '05s were so hot, they upped the price from $1k to $2k over invoice!

Have been told by a couple of dealers that the '06s will arrive in mid-September and one place is offering me $1k over invoice on the '06 model (the same mark-up quoted on an '05). After I check one more place, I'll probably be signing the papers in the very near future.
  • Options
    hondasuckerhondasucker Member Posts: 1
    Close to buying one at $31,300. Wondering if the gurus of the message board consider it a ok deal?
  • Options
    gagirl1gagirl1 Member Posts: 17
    My husband and I just bought an EXL-RES saturday. We paid 30,500 OTD in Martinsville,VA.
  • Options
    pmjpmj Member Posts: 2
    This discussion forum helped me so much when I was shopping for the best deal, so I thought I should help anyone out with my experience regarding the Odyssey I bought:

I live in NY (LI) and when I checked with 3-4 local Honda dealerships, i was getting quotes for Touring with R and N from $37,600 to $38K. Then I started looking in Penn based on a friend's advice. Eventually, I think I found a good deal and here is what I paid:

Color: Slate Green Metallic (wanted a black on black but settled for this after got a further price break of $500)

Price: $35,758
    Tag & Title 180
    Extended Service contract $$1,100 (7 years $75K)
    Total before tax = $37,038

The dealership I went was the best in terms of price in Penn. Sussmanauto is the place.

I would be interested in people's comment regarding the pricing I got.

Thanks
  • Options
    hsonghsong Member Posts: 11
    I did a similar deal with John Eagle. The good thing about them is
    the director of internet sales are willing to talk via emails with
    serious offers.

I went to David McDavid to get the similar deal initially(not via email),
    however they did not have the color I want, and insisted extra $300 for
    searching/waiting for a vehicle (not deposit).

I believe the problem of people buying car is always there are idiots
    who want the car so bad and willing to trade $$ for sales person's word.
    Some dealership put outrageous pricing due to the had a luck of fooling
    one or two. The worst dealership is those who want to fool ALL of its
    customer. (I belive McNatt is one, whoever get ody from them, probabily
    have a big hole in his wallet.)

So far, I believe informed people (done their research) are getting deals
    at 0-$300 above invoice at DFW. John Eagle, Rute Riley, McDavid
  • Options
    kingoffighterskingoffighters Member Posts: 10
    I can't comment on the price of your vehicle, but the Extended Service Contract is about $300 over 'MSRP'. You can buy the extended service contract from ANY dealer in the USA, so find one that only charges what Honda charges the dealer (i.e. no markup).
  • Options
    whileimawaywhileimaway Member Posts: 1
    PMJ that is a good priceI think. Can you telll me who you dealt with ? You can send me a private email.
  • Options
    packgompackgom Member Posts: 2
    On Monday, I got a internet quote of Odyssey touring, without NAV and RES, for $32,385 destination included in that price. Western New York Region.

the process is still going on, and i am waiting for their Credit approval. i dont know what the APR going to be, but his approximation was 7%. he also added $699 for Auto Armor package, which has paint and rust warranty on the vehicle. there was also an extended warranty for $1495 (7yrs,75k). so total came out to be $37589 ($32,385 + $699 + $1459 +tax $2852). $1000 refundable deposit was required and no accessories were added.

i thought it was a good deal when i first had a quote by email. but then the OTD price now is over 37k. i just dont know if this is a right deal for me. it seems like extended warranty is also available at lower cost on other dealers.

thank you and i will appreciate your responses.
  • Options
    pmjpmj Member Posts: 2
    packgom,

You want to bargain on the extended contract because $1495 looks high for a model that doesn't have DVD and Nav. I just got my Touring with DVD and Nav and got the guy to lower the extended contract from $1300 to $1100. Tell him you can't afford $1495 and might go with it if it is $1100 or so.

PJ
  • Options
    batballbatball Member Posts: 7
    Am thinking of making a decision between 2005 Honda odyssey EXL with Navi + RES and 2006 Toyota Sienna LE with navigation package.

Many people have given a excellent review about 2006 Sienna...there are 2 very big plus points which favor 2006 Sienna. Firstly, the cost of 2006 Sienna LE with navigation package will save me lots of green compared to Honda EXL Navi/RES. Though I loose out on leather, but I make up in advanced navigation + bluetooth and other features........ and the unwanted RES which comes with Odyssey as a package.

The second major factor which favors 2006 Sienna is the " jacked up cost" of Honda EXL with Navi + RES which acts is a major detterent. The crook Honda dealers are fleecing customers to pay maximum even during year end clearance. I had a chance to speak to one of the Honda customer service representatives and he assured me that there was no " shortage" of these vehicles. All the dealer has to do is place orders for these vehicles based on their requirement. But Some of major honda dealers in tri-state area are still indulging in blackmarketing methods and quoting exhorbitant prices close to MSRP..............Though at this point the price should be close to Invoice. Hence my leaning is towards 2006 Sienna, though love Honda.

I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with their Honda EXL with Navi + RES pricing experience ( Dealer name + price paid + Salesman name ) in NY, NJ, PA, DE area
  • Options
    edmunduseredmunduser Member Posts: 1
    Recently bought a Silver Pearl Honda Odyssey (end of July)
    Sport Honda quoted about $1000 over invoice if I put down a $500 deposit and waited for delivery. Ended up buying from Pohanka Honda of Salisbury for about $600 over invoice. Had a pleasant experience. Avoid College Park Honda. They start their quotes above MSRP by adding on thousands of dollars of dealer installed options at inflated prices.
  • Options
    starbux4mestarbux4me Member Posts: 25
    how long do you plan to keep the van? Paying for extras when you will only keep it 3-4 years... you could save that money. Keep it washed and waxed and the oil changed will be a big protection in itself.
  • Options
    ancole042277ancole042277 Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a 05 LX OTD for 24700 here in Indianapolis. They are really trying to clear inventory before the 06's get here. If you are going to buy, do it soon because I heard 06 model year prices are going up 3-4%!! The bigger dealerships are offering much better deals than the smaller ones in my opinion.
  • Options
    packgompackgom Member Posts: 2
    thanx for reply PMJ .^^.
  • Options
    1stlexus1stlexus Member Posts: 12
    I haven't seen much information on the midwest, so maybe this will help. We shopped every dealer in the Des Moines area and found the best we could do was $2k off an 2005 (not our first color choice), and $1500 off an 2006. We found a dealer in Southern MN who will order an 2006 for us and give us $2k off MSRP (whatever that might end up being). Other dealers in the area refuse to part with their inventory for less than that and will not dealer trade the Touring's to others. Honda has a great product (we drove the Toyota, Mazda, and Dodge and thought the Honda was by far the best choice), and their doesn't seem to be much urgency for dealers to negotiate at this point (even on the 2005s) in this region. Anyway, we ordered and look forward to driving a 2006 Touring with Nav and RES. The dealer tells me we should have it by October.
  • Options
    rrbhokiesrrbhokies Member Posts: 108
    I was quoted the following prices by my dealership for an '05 Odyssey EX when I bought mine this past weekend. I have until the end of the month to decide. These prices seem very reasonable give what others are quoting. Do these seem good to you:

5/50 - $523
    7/80 - $756
    6/100 - $860

We previously had a '99 Accord for 7 years, and I don't think we ever spent more than $500 in what would have been covered repairs. It was only in the shop twice for service outside of maintenance items. I'm reluctant to get an extended warranty because of how much luck we had with our Accord. Foolish thinking? The 7/80 would probably be the one we would go with since we'll only put about $12K per year on the van.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    42004200 Member Posts: 1
    I have never purchased "Extended Warranty." Simply because Geico Insurance offer extended warranties for new vehicles. For example, when I purchased a new 2003 LS430 Lexus in the year 2003, I contacted my Geico rep and for a few dollars more a month, Geico provided me extended warranty for up to 100k miles. The basic warranty from Lexus was 5 yr 50k.
  • Options
    indymike1indymike1 Member Posts: 1
    Who did you end up buying from? I am in the market for an Odyssey EX-L in Indianapolis and have been requesting quotes from area dealers. Were you satisfied with experience at your dealership?
  • Options
    Well...

The prevailing market determines pricing just like any other commodity item.

There IS a shortage, at least in my area. I think we have two unsold units on the lot right now and half of the incoming ones are presold.

We can't simply pick up the phone and order as many as we like. They are ALLOCATED by Honda based on a dealer's volume.

And...the model you are looking for is probably the hardest to find.

Products sell for what the value is and that applies to everything!
  • Options
    cyninhicyninhi Member Posts: 18
    Finally bought one today. I really wanted white, but only Ocean Mist was available. It has been shipped on 8/2 and should arrive here around 8/23. I purchased from Honda Windward and the experience was great. No heavy selling. He took a long time explaining all the details, showing me everything, and he was very knowledgeable.

I know that I probably paid a lot more than other people, but living in Hawaii we don't have too many options. Anyways, I paid $1300 under MSRP and OTD price is $33,600. They did have included some protection stuff (five things) like door protectors, rubber cargo mat, wheel locks, plus two others for $295 and I checked online and the price was okay, so I decided to keep it.

I think I did okay in regards to living in Hawaii. I contacted all three Honda dealers and I had the best feeling and best price from these guys.

Thanks for the forum. I learned a lot.
    Cyn in HI
  • Options
    cashoppercashopper Member Posts: 10
    hi laurelk, could you please share the name/location of your dealer, and also your total price, both quoted (usually car plus destination) and also "out the door" price (usually with tax and fees, eg. how much you had to make the check out for...) many thanks!
  • Options
    steve43steve43 Member Posts: 3
    I am in West Virginia and last week purchased an '05 Silver Odyssey EX-L for $27,898 which I understand is about $50 under invoice. Paid a document fee of $50.00, and taxes (5%) + tags. Dealer had to trade for this vehicle as he did not have one in stock. We looked at a Chrysler Town & County Touring Model as well--price about $24,000. We chose the Honda primarily based on what I hope is a lower overall ownership cost---with depreciation being less than the Chrysler.
  • Options
    nnurbannnurban Member Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a slate green (first color choice) Odyssey EX-L from Washington Honda in Washington PA for $400 over invoice (=$28,350, plus tax 7% and title fee ~$75). We had been quoted a lower price relative to invoice around Memorial day, but we were unable to get anyone within an hour of Pittsburgh to go that low at this point. Overall the sale went smoothly with no major problems with the dealer or with the car. One small problem is tha the handle at the "shoulder" of one of the second row seats came off already. The plastic seems to have a crack in it and so I will need to complain and get a new one.
  • Options
    batballbatball Member Posts: 7
    I agree with you in part that its the market situation which determines the price.....demand / supply forces. But here lies the catch, Many big fish (dealers) in my area are holding on to these vehicles in stock and flogging the customers with ridiculous prices (close to MSRP). I am aware of the fact that "ALLOCATION" is based on dealers volume sales........Given this fact, that these vehicles are hard to find and there is " Huge Demand " for this vehicle, The sale volume turnover for this vehicle should be high and Honda company should supply these vehicles based on turnover. But sadly, thats not the case. Part of the responsibility falls on Honda company, that they are not able to match up their supply to demand forces and Part responsibility lies with Honda Dealers, who inspite of knowing the fact that supply is less are not raising this issue with Honda company.

It seems that there is unholy nexus between Honda company and Dealers on this particular model. Nonetheless, it will be sad situation for Honda company and Honda dealers both, coz they will loose their clients to toyota Sienna or some other brand...... Is Honda company listening :confuse: to this coz 2006 Sienna has definitely gone one up on Honda Odyssey
  • Options
    1stlexus1stlexus Member Posts: 12
    Looks like price of Touring+nav went up about $350
  • Options
    muddyriverduckmuddyriverduck Member Posts: 18
    LX = $25,345.00

EX = $28,395.00

EX-L = $30,795.00

EX-L and DVD RES = $32,395.00

EX-L and DVD RES and Navigation = $34,595.00

Touring with DVD RES = $36,595.00

Touring with DVD RES and Navigation = $38,795.00

Prices do not include D & H, which is going up to $550. Powertrain warranty is also going to a 5-year, 60,000 mile program. I don't think great deals will be had on an '06 model, so make that offer on an '05 now!!
  • Options
    ebykebyk Member Posts: 7
    I went to few dealers in NY and NJ for an Odyssey van. The model I liked was the EX-L R&N. The color that I liked was Slate Green with Olive leather interior. No dealer had this in stock and they said I have to wait for 2 - 3 weeks. The only guy who gave me the lowest price inclusive of all taxes and options was Mahwah Honda in NJ. I went forward and put a $500 deposit. After reading this forum I am wondering if I would ever see the car.

Have two questions for everyone. Would appreciate if i get an answer.

a) Am I fool hardy about my choice of Slate Green and Olive interior? Is it really attractive color choice. Suggest one if this is bad.

b) Should I seek refund of my deposit?