Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    is probably caused by one of two things -
    1. Water in fuel tank - remove with alcohol (disolves water and water and alcohol mix burns in engine).
    2. You are triggering the knock sensor, cutting back power to protect the engine. Try higher octane fuel.
  • rabi504rabi504 Member Posts: 15
    Hi every body
    I have been a proud owner of PF se for little bit over a year,never have to take to dealer ;unlike my Honda Civic. Recently I start to noticed rattling sound coming from dashboard,which I have heard with my stethoscope. It only does while driving over little bumpy road either high or low speed. I am not sure what to do?I do not want dealar to take my whole dash board a part,and mass things up,but it is going to be very hard for me to live with the noise. Any word of wisdom would be appreciated
  • finderkeeperfinderkeeper Member Posts: 3
    ...this is encouraging news about the replacement potential. I'm wondering if I have the same problem; my 98 SE's engine light came on and Nissan had to replace the "carbon canister." They said it was a laborious process and set me back $410.00. Not even a year later, it's back on again and Nissan says it's the same problem. I'm pursuing ways around it now and I looked on the site "xplorx4" posted and couldn't find a carbon canister for a Pathfinder?? Can you advise or recommend a solution for this costly labor? If the canister can be replaced by me (handy with tools), how then can I cancel the service engine light in the dash? Hopefully, my hands are not tied at this point.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The part you're looking for is called the EVAP canister or on aaanissanparts.com, the "vapor canister" under the emissions heading. Before ordering, however, contact the dealer from whom you're ordering to confirm the correct part. On your truck the canister is located behind the left rear mudflap and is attached to the body with a few bolts.

The curious part about your issue is that the canister has "gone bad" in such a short period of time. My guess is that it's not actually the canister, but possibly a valve elsewhere the system. The "engine service" code that shows up tends to indicate a general fault with the emissions system, rather than a particular component.

If you had the canister replaced within 12 months/12K miles the dealer should honor its 12-month/12,000 mile parts/labor warranty. Hopefully you still have the receipt.

FYI, the service engine light can be reset by merely turning the ignition key to "ON", then disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery for a couple of seconds. Remove the key from the ignition, then reconnect the battery cable. (This process merely ensures that any residual electrical energy is dissipated.) Be sure to write down your radio presets before doing this! ;)
    Awesome, thanks for the info, xplorx4! I'll do some calling and confirming before ordering the part. Might have to pry to the Nissan guys further about why the canister has failed so quickly. I've got the receipt buried somewhere and will check on the warranty status.

An odd warning came from the Nissan Service Tech. I asked what would happen if I continue to drive the truck w/o fixing the issue and he said, "it'd get so clogged up that after a while you wouldn't be able to put gas in it." I told him I've never heard anything like that, wasn't quite sold on the notion. But honestly, I wouldn't know what the consequences would be. ?

Thanks, also, for the advice on the service engine light (and radio presets!). PS: I checked out your website, good stuff. Love the pic of the torqued, white Pathfinder in the dirt; a true SUV.
  • quahaugquahaug Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem but with just over 50K. It's the oxygen sensors in the exhaust system. I was quoted a price of $500 to replace both sensors.
    ...found my receipt dated 14 months ago actually, just over the 12 months, of course. Here is, verbatum, what the dealership quoted as the problem:

"EVAP purge code - cleaned purge lines as per tech bulletin - RETEST - code returned - test valve -- internal malfunction - repl valve and retest."

The "valve assy - cont" was listed as $209.35 in the parts list. After looking through my receipts, I realized that when I first purchased this 98 SE, the service engine light came on the next day. They honored that and replaced the carbon filter, valve or whatever they called it. Then almost two years later the light came on, which led to the above info. BUT! First they mention it being a simple fix for 180.00 to replace a valve, including the diagnostic. Not bad, so I went for it. They called me at work and said that that didn't end up being the problem so I'll need to pay an additional 200.00 or so. I asked if I could get a break since they mis-diagnosed the problem and got my committment based on previous info. They said no, and added that it would be more expensive if they had to put the vehicle back together and start over another day...sigh. They got me. So, they did the extra work and now here I am, 14 months later with what another Nissan dealership tells me is the same problem.

Other than this issue, the truck is bulletproof!
    Well, if the code is indeed the same as before (i.e. an EVAP purge code), it could be any of a number of issues. If you'd like, shoot me an e-mail at "pathfinder_@_xplorx4.com" (remove the underscores) and I can give you some additional tips. I can check the service manual to see what the recommended fix is.
  • okbowlerokbowler Member Posts: 3
    Purchased new SE 3 weeks ago - last week after driving for the first time while dark, no dash lights or console lights when headlights are turned on. Dealer replaced faulty dimmer switch. Worked fine for 2 days and now the same problem. Any ideas???
  • lbinhlbinh Member Posts: 190
    I have a 01 LE w/48K miles and the Service Engine Soon light came on after lots of driving on I-10 in Texas. I remeber punching the gas to pass a semi truck and few minutes later the light came on.

Took it to Autozone to plug in their OBDII scanner tool for free. It is a free service from them. They gave me two codes. First code is for a Throttle Position Sensor is intermittent signal. Second, the O2 sensor bank 2 sensor 2. That is the driver side O2 sensor closest to the Catalytic Converter is intermittent.

Thinking that is was a one time faulty code. I disconnected the battery and removed the fuses for the ECM and Service Engine Soon light still exists. I read on the web that the engine needs at 2-3 driving cycles to reset any codes and turn the MIL(Malfunction Indicator Light) off. I will give it a week before I start replacing parts. I will test the battery/charging system next to see if that is the root of sensor malfunctions.

Dealer wants $60 to hook up to their scanner to diagnose even though I told them what the codes were. Are the 02 sensors covered under the TSB or other warranties? Anyone replaced their 02 sensors out of warranty??

How hard is it to replace the Throttle Position Sensor/ oxygen sensor and what is a good price for those parts? Where can I buy the least expensive parts?

Thanks!
  • blawsonblawson Member Posts: 19
    I had a similiar problem with my previous Pathfinder. Everthing on a circuit would blow and I would lose power to several things at once. I began turning things on and off to figured out what would cause the circuit to blow. With mine, everything effected was on the same circuit. Check your manual to see if everthing affected goes to the same fuse.

I looked at the fuse box and followed the wires from that fuse. On one of the wiring harnesses there was a cover that had pinched a wire. It didn't take long to find and fix. Hopefully your problem is as simple to find. I can't imaging how long it would have taken a dealer to figure this out.
  • okbowlerokbowler Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info - I was leaning that way (blown fuse) but can't understand why it would work fine for 2 days (with all other power accessories being used) and then nothing. It's as if the dimmer switch is stuck in the "off" position - but I never touched it.
    Ok, finally found a site to interpret the ODBII DTC codes.

http://www.iequus.com/obd_def.asp

I have two DTC codes, P1135 and P0160.

P1135 is the Intake Valve Timing Control circuit on bank 2 (not throttle sensor in my previous post).
    P0160 is O2 circuit No Activity Detected bank 2, sensor 2.

Does anyone know if I can just replace the IVTC sensor myself easily or does the Dealer need to diagnose all IVTC related parts?

dieselone and pathstar1, could you help me with this since you both had previous posts on this issue? How did the dealer fix the IVTC issue? For the O2 sensors, are they covered by the TSB @ 48K miles?

2001 LE w/48K.
    Thanks!!
  • pkurtispkurtis Member Posts: 1
    Swaying 1997 Pathfinder/Replacement of Upper and Lower Rear Trailing Arms

I had the typical "Swaying Pathfinder" problem due to worn bushings on the rear upper and lower rear trailing arms.

My extended warranty (AAA Master Care) only authorized 1.8 labor hours for this repair. Nissan claims that it is a 5.0 hour repair (3.1 hours plus an additional 1.9 because of "rusted bolts"), and of course I had to pay the difference.

Is this reasonable for this repair? Nissan claims that it is impossible to make this repair in 1.8 hours. I don't have access to any of the labor guides. What do they say about this repair?

Any thoughts or suggestions?
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    I too have experienced codes P1135 and P0160 on my 01 LE. With regards P1135 it has not reappeared ( I have an OBD2 scanner) since the engine computer was reprogrammed with a software update. As for the P0160 it has reappeared twice over a thousand miles, once while pulling a light trailer with overdrive off and on reaching a long downhill stretch engaging OD turned the SES light on immediately. The second time the light came on after passing at higher speeds with sudden acceleration. Having checked things out as per manual I suspect the sensors will have to be replaced to solve the problem.
    deebardac,

How did you(?) reprogram your computer to get rid of the P1135 code? Where can you get the software update and how do you install it?

Actually I tested the SES at Autozone again and the P1135 code did not show up(I previously unplugged the battery to reset and retest). I am afraid DTC P1135 will reactivate when I travel highway speeds again.

Now I am still left with DTC P0160 O2 sensor inactivity code. Will borrow a voltimeter to test O2 sensor and wires next week.

How many miles on your 01 LE? Keep us up to date on your issues.

Thanks!
  • deebardacdeebardac Member Posts: 23
    The software was installed at the dealers for about $40 CDN. See posts 304, 306 & 311 under Care & Maintenance. Mileage at the moment is 63,000 with absolutley no problems except that pesky SES light.
  • derekpderekp Member Posts: 3
    Well after a few trips the check engine light dissapear .Also I check the full cap .I think there was nothing really serious .
    If for any reason anybody would like to check car computer readings from sensors , check whats wrong with check engine light , read the codes plus other things like resetting check engine light I recommend
    to go to web side http://www.digimoto.com/ .This diagnostic tool can save a trip to dealer or repair shop and most important money for
    just reading codes or reseting check light .(cost about 40 -80 $ to pay dealer )
  • bobnot1bobnot1 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder SE with a Bose CE108 6-disk/Cassette changer. The CD portion of the stereo has stopped working. When I try to play a CD the unit just keeps switching from CD to CD, but never plays anything. What makes this particularly annoying is that since 2001 I have hardly used the CD player. I listen to the radio most of the time.

I called my dealer and was told that the stereo is not covered under any warranty and that a replacement would be $450 plus labor! Has anyone else had this problem? Can you buy the CD potion of the stereo directly from Bose?
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    That doesn't sound right at all. Ask your dealer what "bumper-to-bumper" warranty means. Nissan replaced my 96 Maxima radio with a new one because the paint on front panel peeled off.

Wonder If it'll do any good if you try cleaning the laser head with a cleaning disc. Or take the fuse out then put back in to "reset" it. Something like these only cost you a few dollars...
    Had my whole Bose stereo replaced under warranty at 30K miles on my 01 LE. I had the ERR2 display on my CD changer. Service told me the whole radio/cd unit needs to be replaced or exchanged. It is covered under the 3yr/36K mile warranty. Actually almost everything is covered. Check your manual or warranty booklet.
  • al_santosal_santos Member Posts: 2
    Hello fellow Pathfinder owners. I'm a newbie poster on this message board. However, I've been reading this board for the last 4 years.

Anyways, I've scanned the board reading up on problems with the SES light. Do you guys bring your PF to a dealership to fix SES light problems when it is past warranty coverage, or to and independent shop? I've had two O2 sensors replaced on my 2001 PF SE. First replacement was under warranty, second was not. The second replacement costed $345 from a dealership.

The SES light came on again. I have about 54K on the the PF. I took the PF to an independent shop, where they charge $65 to perform a diagnostic (dealer charges $87). The code the the scanner returned P1145: intake valve timing control position sensor. The tech who performed the diagnostic said that the sensor is not responding. The shop gave an estimate of $212 to replace the sensor. That's on top of the $65 to diagnosis. The dealership wants $250 for the same repair plus an $87 fee for diagnostic. Should I go with the independent shop?
    $60 difference between shops is not that much. I would go with the dealer on that one. They would be more knowledgeble and accountable for your repair. Consequently, you have sunk the $65 with the indep. shop already.

I heard and read that it is a easy sensor to replace. I have the Hayes repair manual and it tells you how to test and replace the IVTC sensor and solenoid.

I had the p1135 error which is the same IVTC sensor but on the other bank of the engine. I did not notice any degradation in engine performance so I disconnected the battery(reset the computer) and that SES P1135 error code is gone. That is not to say it won't come up again when the conditions are right. Previous post mentioned software upgrade solves IVTC SESs. I will replace it myself when it comes up again.

Scan the codes at Autozone for free after you reset the computer. Copy them down and look them up on the web. Autozones here refuse to clear the DTCs for me, says it is illegal. I still have the dreaded P0160 DTC O2 sensor inactive (post-converter) SES. I will wait couple weeks on this one cause it will not hurt anything if I do.

Didn't believe IVTC and O2 sensors where so problematic until I finally experienced it. Should be a "out of warranty" coverage TSBs on these issues. Unfortunately, I don't see any. But, still love my pathy and it is otherwise bulletproof (knock on wood).
  • al_santosal_santos Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice Ibinh. I will leave the repair work to the experts. I too still love my pathy, eventhough I get these pesky SES lights coming on.
  • jpp75jpp75 Member Posts: 1,535
    I have a 2002 SE 4WD, since I have had it there is a fairly loud rattle coming from the defroster vent. I can put my hand up there, wiggle it around and the rattle will stop temporarily, but a few minutes later it is back. I had the dealership look at it, they "said" they reinstalled the vent, but still rattling. Has anyone else had this annoying problem? My warranty is up in about 2,500 miles so looking to get it fixed before that.

Has anyone else noticed this and if so were you able to get it fixed?
  • land2206land2206 Member Posts: 3
    Regarding Hesitation problem: I have tried a gas dryer to eliminate possible water in the fuel system. I also run 93 octane in the truck already. This hesitation ONLY happens at highway speed 60-80mph, while the vehicle is in overdrive. If the transmission downshifts, the engine revs rise and the hesitation stops. The dealer service manager can duplicate the problem, but they have no idea what the issue could be. (Their first suggestion was to reduce the tire pressure! I laughed for 30 minutes.) He says it needs to get worse before they can diagnose it.
  • pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Only other thing I can think of is one or more coils are going bad. They are known problem areas on Maximas, but I haven't heard too many complain about them on the Pathfinder (same basic engine design).

60-80 MPH in fourth gear gives you high cylinder pressure, which translates to a requirement for a good spark. Lack of a good spark will cause a miss, which would show up as a slight hesitation with an automatic.

I don't recall you posting the mileage on the vehicle, but it wouldn't hurt to pull a sparkplug and have a look at it. It may just be old plugs.
  • bobnot1bobnot1 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the advise. Unfortunately I have 53K on truck so it is out of warranty. I do have an extended warranty, but the stereo is not covered.
    Well, my story has a happy ending. After reading on the web that you should give SES lights some time before you get it fixed. It worked. The codes and light cleared out in about a week.

What led to SES light coming on:
    1) drove on hot Texas I-10 freeway for about 4 hours.
    2) filled up w/quarter of tank of 89 octane from small rural gas station.
    3) hard accelerated passed a semi on freeway
    4) five minutes later the SES light came on.
    5) Autozone pulled DTC P1135 (IVTC circuit) and P0160 (O2 sensor).

What I did:
    1) reset the codes (unplugged neg. battery term.), SES light still present.
    2) retested at Autozone and only DTC P0160 came up. Also got my battery quickly tested using voltimeter(main tester equip. was down) and it was OK(didn't trust them). DTC P1135 no longer present.
    3) continued driving for about a week and close to quarter of gas tank left.
    4) decided to look at my battery closer and opened the maintenace fill holes. noticed 3 out of 5 was low in water. filled them with water.
    5) next day the SES light was off.
    6) SES light no longer active after a week since it came on.

No cost invloved except for time and frustration. Problem could of been with poor fuel quality (used it up) and/or low battery (filled up).

Leads me to believe that it may be a ECM software programming issue in the 01 pathies. Moral of the story: Test, reset, retest, check your battery, fill with quality gas, and then give it some time before needlessly spending on repairs. I will post an update in couple months or if the SES light comes back.

Hope that saves some heartache out there. Here is the OBDII web resource I used:
    http://64.4.22.250/cgi-bin/linkrd?_lang=EN&lah=ba0691d067094c- - - 8607808be27e442f2e&lat=1091462943&hm___action=http%3a%2f%- - - 2fwww%2eautotap%2ecom
  • konekone Member Posts: 19
    i have opportunity to purchase loaded 97 pathfinder SE with 100k miles for $5500 cash. sounds good to me. needs tires and alignment done now but the shocks are weak and the axle seals are weeping - everything else looks ok. Any estimates on how much can i expect to spend for shocks and to fix the seals?

thanks.
  • choganchogan Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 Pathfinder LE. Cigarette Lighter outlet stopped working on dash panel. I'm assuming it's a fuse, but I cannot figure out which one it is. Any help would be appreciated.

cthogan@excite.com
    Thanks
    Try A1 Shocks in Houston, do a Google search. They will ship. Call your local service shop for axle bearing repack and reseal service quote. Take that and deduct it from the sales price. Good luck!
    have you tried the fuse boxes in engine bay. I will check my 01 LE. Might want to carefully take out the lighter socket to check the wiring harness behind it. Also check the other 12V sockets in your pathy if they work. Center console and rear hatch. Power is only on during key in ON ignition position.
  • choganchogan Member Posts: 2
    Thanks lbinh. The other 2 sockets work (center console and rear hatch). Tried a few fuses in the fusebox in the engine bay, but they all looked good. Was hoping the socket on the dash panel was on another fuse.
    There is a fuse for the cigarette lighter on the fuse panel behind the coin tray. Pull out the coin tray and look at the diagram printed on the back of the drawer to see which fuse to check.

Example from a 96 Pathfinder:
    Shocks should run in the neighborhood of $40-$60 each. Struts run about $100 a piece. Installation of shocks isn't too hard, but struts is more difficult, especially for the do-it-yourselfer. My local Pep Boys Auto Parts charges $40 per strut for installation, which is a pretty good deal.

I advise that if youre replacing the struts, also replace the upper mounts (part 13) and the strut bearings (part 11). You can get pretty good prices on OEM parts at aaanissanparts or nissanparts.cc.
    Check out this website for the DIYer on Shock strut replacement and front end leveling adjustment.

http://members.cox.net/mainpages/index.htm

The site is pretty detailed on that topic. All pathies have the front end sag on the drivers side. Should be about 1/4 - 1/2 " sag that Nissan says is w/in factory specs. Probably due to engine and gas tank placement balance or "Off" balance.

Good Luck.
  • millarmillar Member Posts: 17
    I have a 2001 Pathfinder LE with 53k on it. The Bridgestone Dueler HT original tires have an unusual wear pattern. They are wearing on the outer edges much more quickly than on the rest of the tire. In my past experience with other vehicles, such an unusual wear pattern meant some type of problem, for example, that the vehicle was out of alignment. However, our local Nissan dealership tells me that this unusual pattern is "normal" for these particular tires on the Pathfinder (i.e., yes it is an unusual wear pattern, but they see it often and it doesn't mean anything is wrong). The local dealer, imo, is trustworthy, but this sounds strange. Does anyone else have experience with this? I intend to replace the tires with 4 new Michelin LTX M/S before the winter, but don't want to do it if they are going to wear quickly and strangely as did the original tires.
  • 94path94path Member Posts: 1
    Wow, after reading these posts I'm feeling pretty lucky. I have a '94 Pathfinder that has never given me any major problems, unless you count having the stock Nissan battery fail just last year. However, my power windows have all slowly stopped working from the main driver control panel. They all still work from their own switches, but I can't operate them without having to lean over to push the buttons. It seems they're getting slower, too. Any ideas? Also, I have a little lake on the front passenger floor from using my A/C; this just started several months ago. I'd like to fix these things myself if it's possible. Looking for advice...
    I had the same OEM tires on my 01 LE. Comfortable but noisy. They were cracking and had very little wet grip left at 38K miles. Very poor treadwear. I noticed they slightly wore on the outer edges but only on the front tires(maybe due to end of treadlife). If you recently replaced your front struts then you will need an alignment.

Replaced them with Goodyear Fortera HL edition in higher profile P255/70/16. No alignment needed. Raises the pathy 1". Rides just as comfortable. Little to no road noise from tires on concrete and none on asphalt. Great grip in snow, rain, and dry pavement. Not to mention the awesome aggressive sidewall appearence. Cornering, braking, and acceleration performance very slightly degraded due to larger profile tire(moot point in OEM size 255/65/16). Normal tire wear after 10K miles on them.

LTXs are good tires also. Did your dealer put your pathy on alignment machine before he told you it was normal?
    Check the battery if you have the correct amps for the power load of your vehicle. That may effect electrical component operation.

Buy a used master window switch from a junk yard. They are a lot cheaper. Call for new and used prices. Easy to swap out.

A/C. Check the condition of your evaporator core. It is under the glove box dash area if I am correct(black box). It is problably dirty and clogged by debris such as leaves. Do you park under trees alot(you shouldn't, leaves and debris fall on AC intake and clogs the system)? Use compressed air to clean out your evap. core and the drain tube that goes to the bottom of your truck. It maybe the drain tube that is clogged and causing water to leak into the cabin.

Your AC will perform better after this clean out.
    Good luck.
  • bpiazzabpiazza Member Posts: 5
    Try the fuse under the hood marked taillights. I had same problem and that worked. Bob
    Any ideas on how to get the Bose radio light back on. ? All other lights are on except the radio light. Not sure what to do. Thanks Bob
    Does the radio have a separate fuse within itself that would control the light? The radio works but just no light. Thanks
  • newmannewman Member Posts: 11
    I just brought a 1995 pathfinder xe 4x4 it has some buttons on it that i dont know what it goes to. If somebody knows where i can access a book online about the pathfinder it will help
  • jiaminjiamin Member Posts: 556
    http://www.nissan-techinfo.com/nissan/deptog.asp?dept%5Fid=36

It only goes back to 1996. If 1996 is not a major redesign then it could be very similar to 1995.
  • impy102impy102 Member Posts: 2
    First post so bear with me. I just purchased used 97 xe 4wd, 96,0miles. Good shape,good price,$5.500. Want to know of any know problems from you experts. I've read on "shimmy" but bsides that anything to look for, as I'll bring in to have gone over. Thanks!
    Issue: Vehicle may occasionally feel unstable and "wobbly" at highway speeds under certain acceleration/deceleration levels.
    Cause: Worn bushings on the rear suspension links (aka control arms)
    Fix: Replace control arm bushings (or the arms themselves)

Issue: Timing Belt Replacement Interval is 105,000 miles. Only 9,000 miles to go before you're due!

Other than the steering wheel "shimmy" you mentioned (caused by improper tire balacing), I can't think of anything else that's either relatively common or often misdiagnosed.
  • impy102impy102 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks explorx4. I do need the wheel balance as indicated so many times in this newsgroup. That info was quite informative. No wobbles. but yes I'm aware of timing belt. Probably won't wait on miles - How about getting "service engine" light out? Bad censor? Any thoughts? So you think I did ok on purchase. First non-American purchase - not familiar at all with product, but this site as been most helpful!