Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder Owners: Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Use a mag. mount with the antenna I suggested, then. Get the JBC mag. mount (it's magnet is lower/thinner, and therefore it works better - try to keep the base of the antenna as close to the vehicle body as possible). That's a JBC model CMAG/SAP with UHF adaptor and NMO CB antenna with spring. These mounts will not blow off (in my experience).

Drawbacks to mag. mount antennas -
    1. Cable may move in the wind and scuff the paint.
    2. Antenna is not as efficient as a proper through body type (poorer ground at antenna base).
    3. Cable is suceptible to damage where it passes through the door.

Advantages -
    1. Not a permanent install so you can use on several vehicles.
    2. No "damage" (hole in body), so some may consider resale higher. I dispute this, as the antenna mount (NMO type) can be used for any antenna, such as buisness, cellular, ham, CB, etc. and therefore represents about a $100 asset to the vehicle. Without the antenna screwed on, the mount is almost invisible on the roof (sticks up 3/8") and is weather proof.

After scuffing the paint on my previous vehicle (4Runner), I now always install a proper NMO antenna mount.

Just my opinions.
  • Options
    longdaylongday Member Posts: 8
    As part of the purchase of my new 2001 Pathfinder LE, I had the dealer add in 4 window rainguard visors. When I went to pick up my new car two weeks ago, I was told the ones they had would have to be cut in front to fit around the mirrors, so they did not put them on. Instead they said they would order genuine Nissan ones and do it in a week. I had them put on yesterday and when they were done, although the Nissan name was stamped on them, they were all chopped up around the front mirrors and I pointed out that if I drive on the highway, these would cut into the soft window rubber seal as well as my paint. Incredibly they told me, "Nissan does not make them, they are aftermarket and with the Nissan name stamped only." I told them that somewhere in America, some 2001 (or same size) pathfinder owner has rainguard visors that fit.
    If you are out there, please let me know anything you can about where you got them and what brand they are. All I want are ones that fit!
    Thanks,
    -Steve
  • Options
    longdaylongday Member Posts: 8
    Problem solved. The General Manager acutally put them on himself after pointing out to his mechanics that the front of the guards slip under the side mirror so they should not be chopped off. You would think a Nissan dealer mechanic would have a clue!
  • Options
    omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    After "wetting" my seat a few times with ocean water, i've decided that purchasing water resistant seat covers would be a good investment.

Can anyone tell me if there are neoprene seat covers available for the PF? do the ones from the Xterra fit the 2001 pf seats?

Thanks!
  • Options
    pfwunpfwun Member Posts: 9
    Hi,
    I'm not a hard core audio enthusiast so I think the stock system is good enough for me. I have kept the trebble and bass settings at mid-level for fear of blowing out the speakers if I set them too high. My cousin just handed me two 8-inch subs (MTX brand)from his accord. I rather get one big box but these are free and I get the chance to improve upon what I already have. My question is....what type of amp should I get to hook up with these subs. I don't need top of the line but something to get the job done as far as getting the bass to the subs. Can I attempt the "amps/subs for dummies" installation or should I leave it up to ppl at best buy or circuit city??? I appreciate any advice you can offer. Thanks.
    pfwun
  • Options
    path_ohonepath_ohone Member Posts: 9
    I have a 01 LE and find this board to be extremely useful. Love the truck.

I was wondering if i could replace the stock rigid antenna and replace it with a QX4 retractable one? Anyone done that? Should be an easy and cheap mod...your insights please.

Unrelated - anyone else feel that the legroom for the right leg is sort of "pinched" because of the large transmission tunnel? Can get pretty uncomfortable after long drives, imho.
  • Options
    jecklesjeckles Member Posts: 87
    Anybody have any experience with grill or brush guards yet? I go offroad about one weekend a month and those blasted painted bumpers are very delicate!

I am preparing to purchase some type of guard for my '01 LE in a few weeks. The goal is protect the front end as much as possible without compromising payload & performance too much.

The Nissan one looks pretty good (I like the color), but it doesn't appear very robust. This one is aluminum (vs. steel). Pro: color, weight, stock option. Con: strength & durability are unknown.

The WAAG one looks like better design that protects front end better. Color is black powder coat finish. Pro: design, strength, durable. Cons: weight, maybe color (can't decide).

The weight is only an issue if the delta is significant. Nissan claims 50%, but is that 20 pounds or 75 lbs? I figure anything less than 25 pounds is insig. Fuel economy, suspension, & payload should not be affected.
  • Options
    joef4570joef4570 Member Posts: 29
    I recently added a Blaupunkt DVD-ME1 DVD/CD/MP3 Player to my 01 LE. It's connected to the audio/video inputs on the VCR and for power I ran a cord to the rear power outlet. The wire for the infrared remote was run under the rear seat, mat and then tucked-up under the left side the center console where the self-stick sensor is attached. The unit comes with a bezel for dashboard mounting so I used it to build a box out of 1/4 inch plywood to which a piece of dark gray rug was contact cemented around. It lays neatly next to the left rear wheel well and you can't see any wires. The piece of ribbed runner material from Home Depot I used to cover it seems to keep it in place quite well. There is a seller on eBay listing them every day for $240. Brand new.

I really bought it to add MP3 capability to my Pathy and I am very pleased with the performance and sound quality through the Bose system. I can now carry 10 CDs and have 75 hours + of music choices. It's really great on camping trips and for Tail Gating.

However, there is a problem with the DVD. The audio works fine but the picture fades in and out consistently every 20 seconds or so (causes the LCD screen to go blue). The unit comes with both 12 volt and 120 volt adapters. The DVD plays fine on my home TV so there must be some compatibility problem with the Pathfinder system. I occasionally connect a Playstation through the system and it works fine so I'm really puzzled. I sent 2 emails over the last month to Blaupunkt USA Tech Support but they haven't responded. Any of you audio/videophiles out there have any ideas?

Here a link if anyone is interested.

http://www.blaupunktusa.com/video/video_01_dvdme1.html

7000 miles and loving my LE, Joe

• Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The problem you're seeing is a result of passing the DVD signal through to your VCR. It's not a Pathfinder problem.

Basically, it's the copy protection that's built into every VCR. The idea is to keep you from illegally copying DVDs.

(You'll note that nearly all home DVD players must be connected directly to the TV, not to the VCR, then to the TV, for the same reason.)
  • Options
    brian60brian60 Member Posts: 76
    Now that I have to park my PF under trees that like to drop little pieces of nature all over my wax job, I figure it's time to get a car cover. I think the factory one is about $130 and I've found more expensive ones online, but I only really need something to keep the dirt off the paint and the UV/heat off the leather. Anyone found one that'll do the job cheaper? My local auto parts store normally has them for ~$70, but the entire chain in out of stock right now. So, anyone got leads on a cover for me?

Thanks.
  • Options
    mbuntingmbunting Member Posts: 158
    Recall Alert: NISSAN PATHFINDER
    Owner Notification Date: 9/11/2001
    Number of Units Potentially Affected: 31,000
    Component Description: STRUCTURE:HATCHBACK HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    NHTSA Campaign Number: 01V282000
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Description of Recall Campaign:
    Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. 2001 model year Nissan Pathfinder
    vehicles manufactured from December 20, 2000, through June 8, 2001, and 2001
    model year Infiniti QX4 vehicles manufacturer from January 8 to June 8, 2001.
    Some of the brackets used to attach the two gas struts to the rear door (hatch)
    may not have been made to specification. At high ambient temperature, the
    increase in gas pressure in the strut(s) may cause one or both brackets to bend,
    resulting in the struts detaching from the bracket(s) when opening or closing
    the rear door.

If both struts detach from the brackets, the door will rapidly fall down and
    possibly strike someone, possibly causing serious injury.

Dealers will replace the brackets for the struts free of charge.
    Owner notification is expected to begin during September 2001. Owners who
    take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and
    do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at
    1-800-647-7261. Hawaiian residents should call 1-808-836-0888. Also contact
    the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at
    1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
  • Options
    omega11omega11 Member Posts: 36
    Hello,
    I just bought a set of "nissan" rainguards.from the local nissan dealership, but am not really sure that they fit. Do the rainguards for the 99.5 PF fit the 01 PF. The part number i have is "nissanVV3 092199". Also, did you need to remove any of the molding from the mirrors to make the front flange fit under the mirror cap?

Thanks!
  • Options
    tbobbytbobby Member Posts: 9
    I opted for the weathertech weatherflectors (aka climair and macneil) because they don't require sticking tape to the vehicle. They have a tapered flange that fits perfectly into the window slot and are extremely easy to install. The only problem I have had with them is they bind too much against the window as it's raised and activate a safety response of automatically lowering the window upon binding. This only happens occasionally and, I feel, will remedy itself as the seals break in. They only have a mild degree of tinting to them and cost about $80 for 4 and $45 for 2. In my opinion, this is a must-have accessory as manufacturers cut cost by eliminating the rain gutters traditionally put on all cars. They just don't make 'em like they used to.
  • Options
    genghis_kahngenghis_kahn Member Posts: 3
    Jeckles -

For your purposes, forget any of those wimpy "brush" guards made in the US (unless it's a custom job). Not only will they seriously mess up your approach angle and impair your off-raod capabilities, but they will actually weaken your truck. If you ever hit anything, they will bend back and cause more damage to your front end than if you had never put one on to begin with. Plus, you should never trust any kind of protection device that you have to bolt together. Most (if not all) people who mount these do it pretty much for looks. Which is a legitimate reason, but not the reason you stated. You want protection, and these bars will NOT give you that.

The only people making true front end protection devices are in Australia. The market there is for bars that can take animal impacts at high speed and not leave the vehicle (and passengers) stranded out in the middle of the Australian desert. These are actually complete replacement bumpers, so your plastic stuff goes bye-bye and is replaced by a solid steel front end, strong enough to mount a winch and take an impact from a 400 pound kangaroo at 50 mph! ARB makes their Sahara bar for the R50 Pathfinders. Costly (at around $1K plus mounting and painting if you desire), but well worth it. TJM is another good company, but they don't make a bar for the latest PFs. East Coast Bullbars also make an R50 bar, but they have very little sales presence in the US, so you may have to deal with them directly. Here are some links:

http://www.arb.com.au

http://www.tjmproducts.com.au

http://www.ecb.com.au

HTH,

Derek
  • Options
    sabre66sabre66 Member Posts: 45
    Has anybody purchased one of those hitch mounted shelves/baskets that you can haul extra luggage on? I've seen some which will carry 500 lb and others that are rated at 300 lb. I was thinking about getting one, but not sure where to get the best model/deal. I'd also like one that folds up out of the way when there's no load. Anyone have any info on these?

S-66
  • Options
    baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Sabre 66, check JC Whitney for Hitch Haul carriers (or Hitch Haul web site). They offer a variety of carriers plus a number of accessories. I bought similar from local retail offered by Steel Horse. The item works great, holds up to 500 pounds and no lifting to top of vehicle (and scratching paint). You can open rear door and even stand betwen cargo carrier and vehicle to load/unload rear compartment. Great for hauling dirty loads you don't want inside. One of the accessories is a fold up receiver bar (2" receiver only) that lets you fold up behind when not in use, I just take mine off, weighs about 40 pounds. Bob
  • Options
    The hitch baskets have different rating because they are designed to work with either Class II (300 lb tongue weight) or Class III (500 lb tongue weight) hitches. Check the hitch on your truck to determine its weight rating. It's probably a Class III with a 2" receiver so you can get the 500 lb hitch basket.
  • Options
    I'm sure many of you are frustrated by the fact that the 12v sockets in the Pathfinder go dead when you remove the key. I mean, how does Nissan expect you to recharge that dead cell phone battery? Wait in the car?!
    Well, here's a tip on how to get at least ONE of outlets (the one on the back of the center console) to be always hot:
    Under the hood, find the relay box (probably over the driver's side wheel well) that contains the relay marked "Power Socket 1". If you remove the cover to the box, the corresponding relay should be colored BLUE.
    Carefully remove this relay by pulling up on it while depressing its locking clip (on side facing the engine) with a screwdriver.
    Gently use flathead screwdrivers around the relay cover perimeter to pry off the cover.
    Inside the relay, find some non-conductive material to wedge inside to force the relay to be closed at all times. (I used a folded sliver of paper cut off a business card.)
    Reinstall the relay, and a 12v socket is always hot!
  • Options
    sivi1sivi1 Member Posts: 82
    on 01 or 02 pathfinders do they still use the flat 4 prong elect for trailers or did they go with the new 5 prong round connecters on many new suv's?
  • Options
    nismofreaknismofreak Member Posts: 120
    The trucks only come with the 4 wire connectors. You will have to by a 7 prong connector if you are gonna use electric brakes. If you are only going to use surge brakes, then the 4 prong is fine.

-nismo
  • Options
    bobinsoflabobinsofla Member Posts: 16
    I want to replace the wimpy stock horn on my 01Pathfinder. Has anyone done this and if so what did you get, and where did you get it.

Thanks,
    Bob
  • Options
    paco99paco99 Member Posts: 25
    I added a secondary horn, which works off the factory one, to my PF '01 SE, which makes it slightly louder and basically causes both horns to work at the same time. I got it thru my mechanic, who I think got it from a local NAPA dealer, who said it was the loudest avialable decibel without going to "air horns" which would require surface mount and remember you need room for the air horn compressor and to be able to get to it with your hands to change the air filter. Mechanic didn't think there would be enough room in front of the PF to properly mount it. Don't have the package available at this moment to tell you the brand name; maybe you could go to a NAPA store ?

As an aside, one problem I thought of is local ordinances on noise limits; since I didn't have the time to check into it on a local or state level (NJ), I had my mechanic install a dashboard toggle switch so that I can have the choice of using "both" or just the original factory installed horn; this way, when I go for state inspection, I make sure to remember to set the horn to only use the factory installed one !

As to an air horn, I'm sure many places around the net sell them; one place, www. autoaccessory.com has a Hella, dual tone air horn, their model# HEL85105.
  • Options
    gottriagottria Member Posts: 13
    Does anyone know if the 2001 LE comes prewired for the entertainment system? I just bought a DVD player with a 6.4 in display designed for overhead mounting. I'm hoping that the wires are already there. Thanks.
  • Options
    lssomlailssomlai Member Posts: 3
    2 questions on the Nav CD's:

1. Is it possible to use a PC and make a backup of my nav CD, protecting my original?

2. Are any owners interested in trading nav disks or backups, to get complete USA map coverage? It bothers me that I will have to pay to get additional map coverage.

Thanks.
  • Options
    pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    "2. Are any owners interested in trading nav disks or backups, to get complete USA map coverage? It bothers me that I will have to pay to get additional map coverage."

Uh, that would be software piracy. I'm no lawyer ;-), but I'm pretty sure that's illegal. With your great new software laws in the US (DCMA or whatever it's called) it would not be very smart, especially after publishing your intensions on a public list.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Yeah I think it would be illegal. But if your willing to take the risks try using morpheus, you can get just about anything.
  • Options
    atutt2atutt2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone on this board opted to buy themselves an entertainment system. I've done some shopping around and can find DVD's for about $300 and TV LCD Monitors for $500. Still a little steep, looks like about $1000 for an entire system. Any advice or comments?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    Why not buy a notebook with a dvd-rom and a good monitor?
    You can find them for as little as $1100 and it will serve more than one use. Not to mention the screen size will be several inches larger than any flip out.

Dano
  • Options
    rthayerrthayer Member Posts: 10
    Curb accident bent the front rim of my
    1999.5 Pathfinder and I am having some
    trouble finding a replacement 16" alloy
    wheel (not the kind the spare comes on)
    Nissan quotes: $445 ! Way over my budget.
    Local junkyards have turned up nothing.
    Anyone have a net source for this item?
  • Options
    duperduper Member Posts: 127
    Try contact http://www.autogator.com or http://www.coparts.com . Autogator specializes in Nissan used parts and coparts.com is a junkyard in general.

Good luck

• Options
    jtanner69jtanner69 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the SE roofrack, so I have no need for LE rack and wind deflector. They were on the pathy for less than a week. Make me an offer.

Thanks
  • Options
    kkfitzkkfitz Member Posts: 4
    I have an '02 LE I purchased in Canada last month (thanks Jon Lofquist), and need to add a hitch for pulling a motorcycle trailer. I like the idea of the Nissan hitch with the little step pad but I'd like some user input from the trenches.

I'm not very tall (5 foot 4), and thought that the step pad might be helpful in reaching the roof rack area, but sometimes great theories don't quite work as well in practice. Do those of you with the Nissan hitch ever utilize the step area? Is it actually useful, or is it more of an annoyance than its worth?

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I have learned so much from this arena!
  • Options
    You'll find that nearly every hitch available for the Pathfinder has some kind of 'step'.

The step is very useful for climbing up and accessing the roof. It's sturdier than the bumper, for sure.

The only thing you have to watch out for is that it sticks out pretty far from the bumper, so you'll have to watch your knees/shins when you're loading stuff in the rear.
  • Options
    kkfitzkkfitz Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the feedback, xplorx4. Looks like I'll be saving money and making the smarter purchase at the same time by avoiding the Nissan hitch. Another win-win situation!
  • Options
    joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    Nissan's custom pet barrier is $140, universal pet barriers range from $40-70. Is the Nissan part worth the extra $$?
  • Options
    cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    I just bought a New '02 Path LE with the factory installed roofrack but I really like the roofrack on the SE truck better. I was wondering if you could tell me a few things about your roofrack swap out.
    -- How much did the SE version cost? -- Did you install it yourself? -- Is it the same as the one on the SE's from the factory or is it a little different? -- Do you notice any more/less wind noise?

I would really like to do the same as you and install the SE version on my new LE. I also like the titanium tinted step rails of the SE, did you do those also?

thanks.
  • Options
    pitrottpitrott Member Posts: 37
    P-Finder Owners,
    I could use some help with the Nav Sys on my 2001 Le 4x4. I have read the book on the nav sys over and over but.... what are the Black dot's in the road mean? or symbols that look like this mean _._ ? also what are the differant colors on roads and land mean? Any help would be a bonus!
    Tks
    Pit
  • Options
    petefinderpetefinder Member Posts: 2
    Path owners...

I've read some have keyless entry that allow you to open your windows and etc. Where can I find this? Nissan headquarters know nothing about it. Also, the SE roof racks... which one are you all talking about?

Does anybody know how much or if it's even possible to have the 2002 version DVD installed into the 2001???

Thanks a bunch
  • Options
    Petefinder,
    Ihave the DVD sys in my 2001 is there a differance for the DVD player for 2002? As far as the Remote open of windows i know that is avail in the Altima.
    R
    PIT
  • Options
    cretecrete Member Posts: 105
    I'm here in the bay area and I have a keyless remote for my '02 LE pathfinder which will open (roll down) the driver and passenger side windows using the keyless remote button. I forget which button it is, I haven't used it that often, but I know it states this in the manual. I think you hold down the unlock button for a few seconds longer after the doors unlock. I don't know if this is also on the '01 models.

On the new SE's for '02 thay have a new style roofrack- Titanium-Tinted tubular desgin. They really look sharp. I was hoping something swaped out the roofrack on the LE's for the SE's so I could see the cost for replacing mine.
  • Options
    petefinderpetefinder Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the follow-up. As far as the roofracks, I'm not sure what year they're for but the parts associate quoted me at 225.48 for the SE roofrack and 183.73 for the skit plate x2. This is not including labor.

So which is the one that goes parallel w/ the side moulding that reads "pathfinder" ? That one looks very impressive. Also, does anybody know of good wheel companies that provide good pricing for custom rims?

Oh, I almost forgot... anybody else have this problem with their TV? The first tv console I had would sometimes have the blue screen and wouldn't show a picture unless you gripped the actual screen a certain way. That problem was off/on. They replaced it, now I can't watch DVD's. I hook up my PS2 and it won't come out consistent, it will "skip" with the movie picture and the blue screen again.

Nissan says they need to see it and will probably replace it but I think AudioVox is garbage. Anybody else have this similar problem? You think Nissan would comp some cost so that I can purchase my own TV Console from a local retailer?

Thanks for the help guys/gals
  • Options
    dts15dts15 Member Posts: 3
    Seeking people’s opinions on the DVD and Navigation System upgrades. Are they really worth getting for the money?

I am a computer Geek and the Geek part of me likes having the toys but the money side of me wonders if they are really worth having? Does the Nav unit really work all that well?

Is it really only good if your travel alot to places you have not been before? What else can it do other then give directions?

For the DVD unit, does it have an external audio/video jacks to allow for a PS2 to be connected?

Thanks,
    DTS
  • Options
    Dude,
    AS for you ?'s on the nav and the DVD well i can tell you the nav and dvd are worth the money... Rre-sale first
    now the nav help out when it is foggy you can just look at the nav sys for the next road. and for places not marked it will leave bread crums to find your way back....(ghost towns in AZ)
    DVD well if you have kids PRICELESS and it will host a game sys.....
    SO SPEN THE EXTRA CASH.....
    R
    pit
  • Options
    ballfire8888ballfire8888 Member Posts: 131
    Hi Gang:

Haven't posted in a while and may have missed comments on these 2 topics so apologies for that.

Has anyone installed wood trim kits and/or body side mouldings to their Pathy? I drive a 2001 SE AWD and am contemplating. If so, how difficult was the job(s)?

TIA!
  • Options
    Tia,
    My o1 LE came with the BSM's
    But.. I did have after market BSM's installed on my Z-28 and they looked perfect and the installer did it in 30 mins and they had a lifetime warenty. But they do not stop dings to good other doors and shopping carts have a mind of there own!
    Pit
  • Options
    dragonryderdragonryder Member Posts: 1
    Is it possible to get the nav system as an aftermarket install?
  • Options
    Yes
    check on line at any elecrtronics web site i know kenwood make one...
    worth the money!
    r/
    Pit
  • Options
    yordanyordan Member Posts: 4
    Do someone knows if its possible to addapt an AUTO DIMMING REAR VIEW MIRROR. I found severals websites that sells the item. But im not sure, maybe someone like me wonder why Nissan Corp. never thought of this. ANY SUGGESTIONS..
    THANKS
  • Options
    93dude93dude Member Posts: 1
    Yes....I have a 2002 SE..and just finished installing the temp/autodimming mirror. You have to remove the overhead mirror and install the new mirror on the windshield with a wedge mount and windshield glue. Power harness is run under the headliner and attached via a fuse adapter (included with the mirror, wedge mount is not). Takes a little time but not that bad, just got to get over the mental block of tearing apart your brand new Pathy!

Good luck
  • Options
    lrichardslrichards Member Posts: 18
    Has anyone tried an interior bike rack in their Pathy. I have a 2001 SE and was wondering what my options are and what advice owners have in this area. Thanks for any thoughts...
This discussion has been closed.