Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Pathfinder Owners: Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    I just did a quick measurement of the tip and, sure enough, the OD of the original tip is around 70mm and the OD of the chrome tip is around 88mm. If you're seeing only 60mm, there could be a problem. I didn't take the tip off to measure (didn't have a hex wrench handy), so it was a rough measurement. Can you confirm the OD on your stock tip is only 60mm??
  • mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Thanks - glad I waited, and appreciate you checking yours! Just measured mine again: 60 mm exactly on my metric ruler, from outside of pipe wall on left, through centerpoint, to outside of pipe wall on right. Must be a difference between Canadian vs. US or your '01 vs. my '03. Too bad . . . now I will have to sort through the myriad of aftermarket finishers . . . aargh!
  • world_travelerworld_traveler Member Posts: 153
    60 mm here too !!!

I think it is a 01 vs 03 issue. Now we would have to see if Nissan has a chrome tip for 2003 that fits 60 mm pipe.
    Wanted to report in that the WeatherTech product (called "Weatherflectors") is truly awesome. The quality of the plastics in the Nissan 3M exterior stick ons was terrible, so I returned after two different sets. Found out that all that plastic comes from the same main company. The exterior 3M stick ons from the other after-market companies (e.g., Auto Ventshade, etc.) appears to be no different and the same product. The plastics were so poorly cut and not finished well - plus I knew being a perfectionist would drive me crazy trying to line them up and stick on evenly over the side windows.

Thanks to this board, ordered the WeatherTech product on a gambit. Can I say: "oh my god." What a difference, the plastic fit and finish was beautiful. No wonder - made in Germany. They are a light smoked high-end plastic that slide into the window tracks - no 3M tape and perfectly lined. I slid the first one in on driver side and was done in 2 minutes flat. Pinch control no problem; auto windows went right up, no interference. Looks beautiful and integrated into the window versus stuck-on the exterior types.

Now, I must admit, passenger side was more difficult. In in 2 minutes, but then pinch control would kick-in every time it tried to go up. Fooled around more about an hour taking in and out, pressing it into track, etc. . . . then I read the directions again: "once window is up, let it sit for 24 hours." Ahhh!! So, I let it go overnight and presto: this AM, no pinch control problem. Played with auto window up and works like a charm every time (20-40 tries on way to work!) - no interference. Plastic apparently bends into place and sets; plus brand new '03 vehicle with window seals just breaking in.

So, I highly recommend this product. Ordered straight from manufacturer at www.weathertech.com for $54. [Only wanted for front windows where I will use them; didn't like looks of doing rear as well; overkill IMHO.]
    Wanted to pass along a couple other pieces on info on floor mats and hitches:

On the mats, per my previous posts, the Husky Floor Liners are the best bet on the market and the part numbers I gave (i.e., #3611x front, #6611x second seat) will work in an '03 LE per Husky. Almost all the auto sites sell the front and rear liners for $70 each. Some less, but then they add on more in shipping. Some for $70 but with free shipping. All end up about the same. However, www.accessconnect.com sells them for $52 each with free shipping on orders over $100. I placed my order today as I came up with no better price. Search engines would not find this link - it was a post on the main board from someone who buys all their Nissan accessories from these guys. THX!

On the tow hitch: narrowed it down to Draw-Tite and Hidden Hitch Class III round tube hitches. Very similar: former no step, latter has step. I liked the look of the "in-between" Putnam brand hitch product (round tube with mini-step), but no one on any of the SUV boards had even posted on it. I ruled out the Nissan $300 product (that's the cost without wiring and without ball mount!) after looking at it yesterday in the Nissan Parts dept: the quality of the hard plastic on the Nissan-logo "rubber" (not really rubber, more like hard plastic) mat looked inferior and appeared it would eventually crack from UVs and a lot of use . . . definitely not worth $161 just to get the Nissan logo on a plastic cover for the step. Rumors were anyway that it is made by Hidden Hitch which sells at www.accessconnect.com for $139. The Hidden Hitch product may in fact be the same as the Nissan, as the metal step has two holes where the plastic "stubs" of the Nissan-logo mat insert would appear to go. In any event, I ordered the $139 Hidden Hitch and will install myself. I will get some Craftsman "real rubber" diamond mat, surfboard rubber/foam "trac top," or equivalent and mount to surface of Hidden Hitch metal step (better than grip tape in the snow, etc.). I think I liked the reputation and name of Draw-Tite better, but because it was so similar to Hidden Hitch, and because the damn' spare is so close to the bumper and this thing was going to stick out so far, I figured I might as well make it useful and get one with a step so that I can use it while loading Thule racks, etc. Also, according to the boards, both have had feedback that in some cases they rattle into the muffler, and in other cases they do not. So, no difference there. The part # on the Hidden Hitch is 70609 - that is the # for an '02, but Hidden Hitch says it should work on '03. I'm not doing the wiring until they have had time to identify Part # - some issues there regarding plug-in-play style versus converter, etc. [Even Hoppy Trailer Wiring has not done it yet for the '03.] I'll let you know how install goes - supposed to be less than an hour. And I hope the damn' thing does not bang into the muffler after all this!!!! ;>

P.S. Simple round chrome finisher search is a nightmare. Nothing easy on the Net at all. Guess I need to just call Pilot Exhaust Tips and ask for a round and rolled chrome finisher for 60 mm pipe. Phil 47, can you tell me the length of your finisher so that I can give them the exact dimensions? THX!
  • onboost91onboost91 Member Posts: 86
    Mjohnr99 - Thanks for all the information on the aftermarket parts you have been providing. I for one appreciate it. I'm probably going to pickup the front and rear liners due to your recommendations (I own an 02 LE).

I need a cargo liner that is more of the, stop dog hair from wrecking the carpet variety rather than one that is fully spill proof and prevents use of the tie downs. In your research have you run across any of this type?
    Since exhaust tip issue appears to be an '01 vs. '03 issue (i.e., your Canadian '03 Pathfinder has a 60 mm tip like mine), any interest in checking it out with this Canadian dealer to see what the "deal" is on getting a rolled tip that will fit our '03s? I gave him the Part # that Phil47 used (which I'm guessing is the '01 Part # for a 70 mm Canadian exhaust pipe finisher) and this is what he sent me:

99998-259909 Extension tip
    Rolled edge 88 mm
    Canadian part only for Pathfinder
    $75.51 Canadian
    Can ship - We require a Credit Card along with how you would like it
    shipped.
    Also the shipping address.
    If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to call.
    Clarence Airy
    Parts Manager
    (403) 284-4611
    parts@stadiumnissan.com

Let me know.

P.S. Can't wait for my Newsweek International "Interview with a Disappointed Gen-X" to come out . . . looks like that 4th Gen Runner cladding is killing everyone! [And by the way, those new commercials are WEAK compared to the ones that came out for the H2 debut.]
    - got you completely covered (do you think I would leave anything out! ;>>): see posts 283, 288, 290 etc. sent to my 4Runner defecting pal world_traveler . . . it has my assessment. I think the Black Armor product I describe is the best for non-spill dog hair type mud stuff. Full coverage and was able to easily slide all sorts of hardware and wood in there the other day. The only issue I wondered about was would the pooch be sliding all around in there - so far, our 88 lb. English black lab hasn't had any complaints! :> As far as tie downs, there are flaps for the cargo net which I broke on one side and secured with electrical tape on the other: easy flip up/down now. As for cargo hooks, previous posters have cut flaps when/where needed. [I have not done so yet though.]

P.S. For any dog owners, I came up with a plastic coated steel wire, spring lock and seat anchor/tether deal, completely secure, that I put together from Home Depot and that is working like a charm. When Diego is in back, I can cruise around with the window popped and no worry about him jumping out when I stop and especially when I open the hatch at the dog runs/hiking grounds we go to and he is rearing to go. Easy to make, the problem was the trial and error of coming up with exactly the right length such that he had window access without getting his paws up on the sill or over the edge of the bumper when hatch is up. [There's a "funny" story about how I got my first scratch on my new '03: his first time in back with the new liner and my temporary leather leash idea resulted in him (after arriving home and being thirsty and familiar with whereabouts) jumping through the popped open hatch window, breaking the leash mid-air with all his weight, hitting his front paws above the license plate garnish as he sprang off . . . there he was, broken leash from collar, tail wagging, nice toenail scratch on paint . . . was at Home Depot the next day!]
    JcWhitney lists that Black Armor cargo liner for Pathfinders that are 1996-2000 models. Does it still fit the 2001-2003? (I have an 02)

thanks!
    Yes, that is the one I ordered and it works fine on my '03 LE. Nothing has changed inside and I think the website has just not been updated. I only shopped a few minutes on price for that one as I needed the liner same day as I picked up the new ride. I think JC price is reasonable, but I just don't want to vouch for it as the lowest like I found on the Husky liners. FYI.

P.S. They shipped it quick, just 2-3 days I think.
    Thanks again for all your help, my husky liners f & r are on the way, as is my black armor cargo liner.

Looks like I wont have to worry about all the rock salt, slush and dirt wrecking the interior of my new LE! For under $200 total I think its more than worth it!
  • jcla7jcla7 Member Posts: 18
    to world_traveler and mjohnr99, many thanks for the recent post on the "other side." All of the folks on this thread should know that you (both) have been a continuing source of great info and insight. Well done.
    mjohnr99: I just measured the length of the tip and it is 7". I noticed what the difference is between the 01's and the 03's. There is a stainless steel tip welded onto the 60mm pipe which exits the resonator. It increases the diameter from 60mm to 70mm. I suspect it was done for asthetics and has apparently been discontinued.

You can actually see the welded transition quite clearly on the photo called "tiplow" here:

http://photos.yahoo.com/phil99_5

Keep clicking on the photo until you get the largest zoom.
  • scantyscanty Member Posts: 164
    Is there a consensus on whether or not the wind deflector helps in keeping the rear window clear? Anybody that has added one notice a major difference?
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    makes a huge amount of difference, mostly for driving through dust, rain, and snow.

I don't have one installed, but I once went driving on some very dusty roads with a buddy who has one on his SE. My truck's rear was coated, while his was reasonably clean.
    Thanks for the dimensions Phil47. Looks like the exhuast pipe on '03s is in fact now 10 mm smaller. Maybe to address some of the posts about the Draw-Tite/Hidden Hitch bumping against the exhaust?? We will see once I receive hitch.

FYI, on that Canadian chrome exhaust part - from your Canadian dealer, they say it fit on the 60mm pipe on the '03 they tried. [see email below] However, I'm still looking aftermarket as I'm not sure about simply tightening the screws to compensate for the 25 mm difference between the 85mm tip and the 60 mm pipe. In Phil47's case with his '01, it was only 15 mm difference - which seems reasonable.

E-mail:

Michael
    Ext tip will work. It is held onto the tailpipe by three large set screws.
    The diameter of the pipe is 60mm. Inside diameter of extention is 85mm/
    We have fitted to new Pathfinder.
    Clarence
    You could certainly do it, and I've seen it on the new tips. As a matter of fact, the set screws I received with the kit were too long so I replaced them with some shorter ones I bought from a local hardware store. Those original set screws would have been perfect to compensate for the smaller diameter tip.

HOWEVER, in my case the rolled chrome edge was flush to the OD of the stock tip (looked very OE). In the case of the 60 mm tip, you would have a 5mm gap between the chrome tip and the stock tip. It wouldn't look ugly, just not quite as OE. In fact, You could probably extend the chrome tip slightly (an inch?) which would hide the end of the stock tip pretty well. Just a thought.
  • woodyr1woodyr1 Member Posts: 142
    Mjohnr99

I have both the chrome exhaust finisher as well as a Hidden Hitch on my 2001 Canadian Pathfinder. I installed both myself and have had no problems with exhaust system rubbing the hitch. I ordered mine from a dealer here in British Columbia, and got the link from Phil47.

Thanks again Phil!
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    Just drove 300km on wet roads in my new wind deflector equipped PF.The rear window was much cleaner then it would have been in my old Grand Cherokee without a deflector. It's well worth the money in my opinion.
    Has anyone installed the plastic hood deflector on a 02-03 Pathfinder ???

I got my first scratch this weekend just where the deflector would protect.

But I'm wondering if the plastic deflector produces any side effects like wind noise, weird wind flow patterns, etc. On my 4Runner it would make the hood vibrate near the wippers, it was annoying.

I'm hesitating between the plastic deflector and the nose mask. (Note: I do not like the 3M clear plastic you can also install on the hood and do not consider it).

Thanks
    Although it's not an 02-03, I had the 2nd generation Nissan deflector on my 01 LE for a year. It caused my side mirrors (particularly the driver's mirror) to vibrate at highway speeds...very irritating. The service dept. acknowledged that this was a negative side effect of wind deflectors on this body design (unchanged since the 99.5 model year)...so I removed it.

Hopefully the nose mask for the PF is an easy one to put on and remove, as I owned one once and it was always a pain to remove when washing the car. Do you have any info on it??
    I don't have info yet on the Pathfinder hood mask. I don't know if I would be able to get over the vibrating mirror. On my 4Runner it took me a good month before forgetting about the shaking hood and I never took the deflector off.

I had a nose mask on my Mazda 626. Usually I would only install the hood section and not the whole thing. It looked nice on my white car. It was not a pain to remove as far as I remember.

Back to the Pathfinder, the mask is much more expensive that the deflector and I think that the deflector looks nicer. (Masks have an late 80's -early 90's look I think.

I'll go an have a look at the dealer pretty soon to compare them in person.
    Here's a post that should help, WT.

First things first: my new Husky Liners are terrific. Fit like a glove; have had no problem feeling heat in rear area when I warm up engine/heaters; and drink tray in rear does not interfere (lucky I guess - I don't think I will have to cut out the middle at all). These were the best investment ever - it was wonderful this 3-day weekend to haul in and out of a brand new vehicle in my boots in the mud and not even think twice about the consequences. Hosed everything off tonight. Please see earlier posts regarding this product. My only slight issue was that they were a little slick at first (but I guess I was just used to carpet) - something that there is no way to design around if you want a waterproof mat. The best money ever spent.

Bra vs. Bug Deflector: Had a bra for a CRX - pain in the rear; have to to take it off to wash and dry; expensive; very 80's look agreed.

On the deflectors, as I said a while back, I am not into the look of too much of this bug/wind stuff unless truly functional and the appearance is subtle. As posted earlier, got the Weathertech insert side window deflectors for the front side windows only - looks inconspicuous and useful there. But the bug thing is not really a problem where I live. Nevertheless, knowing that SUVs often get the chips on the front hood that WT just received, I had investigated and researched the options, with the vibration concerns noted. Found something that I thought was worth a shot and just installed: the Lund Avenger, Part # 72049, fits on the 2003. This is not a bug deflector; rather, it is a "hood/fender shield" - as such, there is no upward flare or roll to it - thus, it is very low profile. From what I was told, one of the lowest on the market. (i.e., there is no lip or wing that curves back up like most bug deflectors). The other true bug deflectors are a little too big for me, and I was only concerned about protecting the hood and not worried about any need to send bugs over the windshield. Not sure how different this is than the Nissan product; as from Internet photos the Nissan deflector does not seem to roll upward either.

Amyway, check out: lundindustries.com. Originally I was worried that these guys were the big parent company that made all that bad aftermarket plastic out there that I noted in earlier posts . . . but this Avenger is actually quite good. I gave the Weatherflectors an A+ and in comparison, I give this an A- . . . to fully compare, I give the quality of the plastic fit and finish in the Nissan side window deflectors a D!

I'll let you know if I hear any vibration tomorrow when I accelerate up to 70+ MPH tomorrow to check it out for you all. Appearance is great, especially since my LE is black. After I ordered it, I found out that the same www.accessconnect.com had them for a lower price than I had paid :< (they aren't listed on their web site; call the 1-800 # and give the part # and they can get.)

If anyone interested, I will tell you about install. Not as easy as insert side deflectors of course; but about what I imagined . . . trying to line everything up. You can do it entirely with the 3M tape, but I opted for the 3M tape plus four small 1/8" drill holes and screws (on the underside of hood) for ease of installation (long story). I imagine I would have had to go through the same process with any other shield, but I just wish I could say it was simple to install. Took a little patience if you are the type of person who wants it 100% aligned, etc. More later if interested.
  • normp1normp1 Member Posts: 25
    I am looking for some aftermarket fender flares for my 02 chilkoot. I've just installed new snow tires and rims and am afraid that without some type of fender flare that I'm likely to get paint damage from rocks this winter. ( the tires seem to stick further out than with my stock rims)
    I realize that Nissan parts would have these but I was quoted something like 1600 dollars for four. Anybody have any ideas ?
    Hi:

I live in a hilly part of British Columbia where snow and ice are prevalent for part of the year. I tried to find rims to fit dedicated snow tires, but the listed ones from tire shops were off a Toyota Tundra, which had about an extra inch of offset. The XE and Chilkoot models do not have fender flares, and fitting OEM one's is expensive, and requires body work, according to the dealer. I was successful in finding 4 identical rims from a tire shop, but took about 6 months to locate.

I installed the Nissan hood bra and front end mask, due to sand and gravel on the highways from the above noted winter conditions. It is very simple to remove the hood part, but a more difficult job to remove the lower portion. My vehicle is about 18 months old and have not noticed any marks on the bumper area, but have an abrasion of the clear coat from the hood bra. I think I would have had a lot more damage without it
  • sailor16sailor16 Member Posts: 34
    Interesting,I couldn't find aftermarket steel rims for my '03 Chilkoot and the ones from Nissan were $120 each.I bought 16" rims for my wife's '02 Maxima last year @$37 so this seemed pretty high.Anyway,I 've got the snows mounted on the alloys for this year and I'll look again next fall
    Reporting back in: to date, have not had any discernible vibration at all to hood or mirrors (including driver's mirror) from the Lund Avenger. This is with windows up and down, at highway speeds, in rain and shine. So, so far I think it was a good compromise to protect the front of the hood from all the chips that are inevitable without the vibration issue of a true bug shield. [Personally, IMHO, I also prefer less pronounced accessories when it comes to all the plastic protective add-ons.] Now that I have it, been noticing a lot of bug shields on other SUVS and almost all are 2 to three times wider/higher (but also notice they have no windshield bug splats either!!). Avenger is very low profile. As such, I may not stick-on the four rubber posts that apply between the hood and the deflector (to presumably prevent wind from flexing the deflector back into the hood . . . something that seems impossible in this low profile design.) That way, I think I will still be able to access the area under the deflector when waxing.
    Hi Sailor16:

If you can get steel rims for your 03 Chilkoot from Nissan, I would get them. Nissan told me that the steel rim, like used on the spare was over $250 each. Tire shops, including Canadian Tire would sell me a steel rim for about $80 each (take off rims), but they were off a Toyota Tundra - same bolt pattern, but additional offset, which resulted in gravel, mud, etc coating my outside mirrors, the windows and the side of the vehicle. I would have had to install fender flares which are not standard equipment on my XE model, nor the Chilkoot, to my knowledge.
    I just received my 3 piece cargo liner from JC Whitney. It comes with 2 sections that attach to the rear seatbacks so that when the seats are down the bed is fully protected. They are attached with velcro that the instructions say to attach with screws to the seatbacks.
    Has anyone installed the rear seatback liners without drilling? I _really_ dont want to take a drill to my new Pathfinder.
    I considered the same question but determined there was no other way to do it. The advantages of having the seat backs lined outweighed (for me) 6 unnoticeable holes in the carpeting on back. I did a test hole first and saw no visible problem. A subsequent owner could never tell if you intend to remove the liners prior to resale. In fact, if you didn't mark where the holes were with, e.g., masking tape, you will never find them in the carpet after drilling (I lost holes twice that resulted in 10 minute searches for them!). Be careful with drill bits. Use one size larger than recomended or you will surely break a bit. I broke two bits before I finished. . . and these were Craftsman Cobalt bits designed for metal! It's kind of random what you end up drilling into - sometimes a metal frame support; other times backing only. In either event, the screws went in securely, fastened well, and the velco has held well. Liners stay put and have not sagged at all (just makes sure perfectly flat before you attach - follow directions about removing "curl" from shipping). I don't think I will ever take the seat back ones in and out (just the floor one to hose periodically) as I don't want that velco to wear and end up with the seat back liners not holding as well as they do now. Still very satisfied. Good Luck.
    You did keep the carpet liner on the back of the seat right? Doesn't that cause the cargo liner to sag at the bottom where the carpet folds?
    Yes. No. There are folds where the seat back liner slides under the cargo liner piece. It is a very nice system. You'll see when you install.

P.S. Before I sell all my old CRX with its aftermarket speakers, amps, etc. left over from my old 20-something days when I had time to fool with such things, I thought I might want to keep one of my more expensive amplifiers in case I ever wanted to add a subwoofer to the Pathfinder. The stock Bose is nice all around, but could use more balance in the bass department. Does anyone know if the stock head unit has "pre-amps" (e.g., RCA like jacks) built in for the addition of an amplifier? If not, I'll sell the expensive amp as well, as I do not want to replace or fool around with the head unit / inline CD changer. I notice that there is one external amplifier in the driver's side rear cargo area wall - anyone check that out to see how wired and/or whether a second amplifier can be added using the "leads" to the factory amplifier? Just a long shot here. THX
  • w62w62 Member Posts: 27
    Hi all,
    Has anyone installed Decor Package for 02PF(Decoration Package?)? Any pros and cons. i'd appreciate any info.
    Thanks in advance
  • mediaguymediaguy Member Posts: 11
    I'm about to purchase an LE and want to now if it's worth getting the Dynamic Control Package? Also from what I've been reading, I should not purchase the tow hitch from the dealer? Is that correct? And if I do purchase it somewhere else, who installs something like that? I'm an auto idiot! Thanx in advance for any info!
  • pattonaspattonas Member Posts: 5
    Anyone got any good sources for a class III Hitch package that is easy to self install and looks good like it belongs on the car.

Thanks...Scott
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    Anyone know of any websites I could view pictures of newer model Paths with exterior accessories added? Considering getting some "surprises" for my husbands '02 LE Bronzed Gray.
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    I purchased a tube hitch made by Hidden Hitch thru JC Whitney. I got a class III cause it just cost a few $ more than a Cl II. Order wiring, ball mount, ball at same time. My son put on with a little help from a neighbor. Had some trouble getting tie down hooks loose (hitch fits in revealed holes). This hitch curves under body and is mostly concealed. Also be sure to get the plastic cover that goes over the hitch for a smooth look. Run a couple of screws and nuts through it to keep it from being stolen so easily. JCW also has mats, etc, etc, so you might want to order a catalog before placing an order. They often have "deals" for larger orders, i.e. now it's free shipping on orders over $200 thru end of year. Hope this helps.
    Been out of pocket for a while, so have not responded to some of these posts nor updated on results of recent purchases/installs. Here's some feedback:

On X-mas surprises, the Husky Floorliners I reviewed in previous posts (with part #s, etc. for '03 LE) are a great bet. They are still incredible as proved by the past week's experience with snow, sand and salt. The mats are a mess of crud, but not one speck on the interior carpeting, etc.! Again, the best price I saw was $52 a set at www.accessconnect.com. BTW, this site seems to have good prices on just about everything.

On Dynamic Control Package, this is a benefit unique to the '03s; and since they are selling at or below invoice, your cost is only $650, not that much at all. World_traveler gave a review of it recently on one of the other boards. My experience was similar in the middle of this past snowstorm in DC when I had to drive myself to the emergency room after slicing a finger. [ouch!] The residential winding streets where I live were dead and I decided to try pushin' it a little around a wide open turn just to see how far I could max this new vehicle on a turn in the snow when it started to slip and the dynamic control kicked in: SLIP light lit, buzzer sound activated, and all was well. Didn't seem obtrusive. I really need to get out to an open area where I can really get some sliding in and give it a test, with the VDC switch both on and off. But, I think it is a plus so far given the cost.

On Grill-Tech grill insert that I discussed several posts before, I think it will definitely do the job of protecting the lower radiator down there but agree with Phil47 that it seems pretty expensive. It was definitely easy to install (5 minutes) with no drilling of course. I like the fact that it's black, muted, and no-frills, as I didn't want something like the fancy chrome grill inserts that would seem like I was making the truck into a street-rod. I ordered it from www.grille-tech.com. Cost $81 delivered; took several weeks to arrive though. Just checked their web site and it's been updated: looks like they have two styles now from when I ordered. The one I got would be the "black" color with "race" style holes, sku# 10194, and now only costs $68, a fairer price. It definitely fits on an '03, no problem.
    Finally, I have good new to report on the hitch front: Hidden Hitch was a success! Seems that a couple of you are interested, so here's the scoop. Read back to my earlier posts and how I eliminated the Nissan product from contention (mostly on price) and narrowed down to Hidden Hitch and Draw-Tite. From those posts, you'll know I went with Hidden Hitch because it seemed as good as Draw-Tite with the advantage of having a metal step (like Nissan's product) that I thought I would then add grip-tape to or something. Again, I ordered it at www.accessconnect.com. Part # is 70609 and it does fit an '03 with no problem.

Here are some great tips with install: make sure you have a set of metric sockets/wrenches and A RUBBER MALLET, you will definitely need that! Also, this project gave me a good excuse to buy that Craftsman torque wrench I always wanted. First thing to do is remove the "black box" on the driver's side near the tie-down. You WON'T miss it as you can't install the hitch with a torque wrench with the box in place. This is not in the instructions though, but all you have to do is remove the three 12 mm bolts that hold the bracket for the box in place; you will also need to slide one rubber hose off a plastic nipple attached to the frame. [It's easy, you'll know which one!] Don't worry about all the other hoses, etc.; just remove the 3 bolts and 1 hose and let the box "hang." Now, it's easy to remove the 3 bolts on each tie down on both sides [there is one wiring harness on the driver's side tie down that pops off.] Ready to install hitch now! Since I was alone, I found that one of those blue plastic recycling newspaper/bottle bins plus a 2x4 made the perfect height to rest the hitch on for the install. Drape a towel over the rear bumper cover in case hitch swivels as you're moving into place. This is where you'll need that rubber mallet! From this resting position, push the hitch so that both the left and right sides are even against the frame and then use the rubber mallet to tap on each side, alternating, and you will see the hitch slowly slide up into place. Takes a while, VERY tight fit, but you will get it there. Once lined up over the 4 holes, it will almost hang there on its own even without the support. Install the 2 top bolts loosely on each side. Remove your support. Now, rubber mallet time again: the only way to get the spacers in (for the lower 2 holes) is to hold the spacer in place, and carefully tap the spacer with a screwdriver and mallet; don't tap too far or you'll pass up the hole and make more work for yourself. Once spacers are aligned, install bottom two bolts on each side. Use torque wrench in star pattern to bring torque up to 64 ft lbs on each bolt per instructions. Tie driver's side wire harness to hitch frame special hole. Reinstall black box. And you're done!

Very pleased with how this all turned out. Looks great; step is nicely aligned with rear bumper. Now, to the good stuff: there is absolutely NO problem with the hitch bumping into the muffler (as some really early posts indicated could happen with Draw-Tite and maybe with the Hiden Hitch as well) - there is about 1.5" clearance between the hitch and the muffler. Whew! No problem there. Also, want to put to rest any notion that it doesn't use ALL the holes when mounting. This hitch uses ALL 4 existing holes in the vehicle's frame. Very solid. On install time, I am your average Craftsman tool-type homeowner and was able to install by myself from start to finish in 3 hours. If I did it again, I know I could do it in half that time. I hope this helps. From the post of BaddestBob1, it appears I have my solution to making a rubber pad for the metal step (like the Nissan product has): per BaddestBob, JCWhitney describes a product which I think is the same as the "round tube hitch cover," part # 7800, that I saw on the hiddenhitch.com website. It looks like it acts as a cover, a hitch plug, and a step pad all in one. I will call and see if I can order for less at www.accessconnect.com. Will let you all know. Also, have not done wiring yet; still waiting for Hoppy to come out with trailer wiring specs for an '03 (but probably the same as '02s anyway).
    My 2002 LE came with the factory hitch. I just want to verify the towing capacity (ive never towed anything with any vehicle). While I was leaving the salesrep told me that while the Pathfinder can tow up to 5000lbs he told me the hitch ball that came with it could only handle like 2500lbs. Is this true? Can I just order a stronger ball if I need to tow more?
  • nissangirlnissangirl Member Posts: 186
    I would love to see some pictures of some of your Pathfinders....especially '01, '02 or '03's.
  • xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The Pathfinder (automatic tranny) can tow 5000 lbs, but you need a class III hitch. (The factory hitch is a class III.) The tow ball will be stamped with a weight rating on it as well, as is the drop (the thing that slides into the receiver, to which the ball is attached). The ball is easily replaceable with a stronger one, and can be found at any retailer that sells towing items. (ex: Wal-Mart, Autozone, Pep Boys, Kragen, U-Haul)
    Great thanks for the info!
  • pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    Cursing yourself for not coughing up the extra $$$ for the nav. system when you bought your Pathfinder? Not to worry. The Garmin Streetpilot III is a much better buy. Just got mine at $1200 Can. complete with all unlock codes (all city nav. data for Canada and the US). The Nissan Nav. system is $4000. The Streetpilot will voice guide you to your destination in many cities, find restaurants, gas stations, and even tourist attractions. Best part of this unit is you can move it from vehicle to vehicle. You just plug it into the acc. power or cig. lighter and place the unit on the dash (there is a "docking puck" that you can tape to the dash, or, do as I do and use stick on velcro.

As for the new models coming with tire monitors, you can purchase these from tire companies. A module is strapped onto the rim under the tire, and a display is placed in the cab. They are quite affordable. I'm seriously considering getting them installed when my original tires finally wear out.
    Yes, those tire monitors new on the '03s seem to be good ideas . . . and I hope it doesn't end up making it more expensive when tires are swapped in the future. :> Apparently, they are FCC Part 15 wireless devices that operate in the RF between the tires and the dash - cool.

Promised feedback on the receiver cover baddestbob and I mentioned above. It's sold at JCWhitney for around $13 I think and it is in fact the Hidden Hitch Part # 7800 ROUND TUBE HITCH COVER (Hidden Hitch web site has a photo). I ordered it from the guys again at www.accessconnect.com in the $8 range [Jeez . . . from now on, every time I want to order something I find on the Net I will call this guy Dave at accessconnect and see if they can get it as well at a lower price . . . good referral]. Very different from the Nissan factory rubber step style. It does fit the Hidden Hitch perfectly I will say, but honestly, I am not too thrilled with the appearance. I don't mind the full wrap around clam shell style of top to bottom coverage of the receiver, but I wish it were a little smaller scale and didn't flare out so much on the sides where there actually isn't any portion of the metal step. Because it's so inexpensive, I am not worried about theft, but the screws idea may be good to help hold it in place better (Baddest: did you do this from the top down into the 2 large holes of the step?). I think I kind of like the appearance of the "raw" metal hitch better than the plastic, so I have to give the product IMHO a 7 out of 10. . . . But, that is still a high score, as it is perfectly matched and fitted, very integrated, and certainly will be functional both as a plastic surface on the step and a protector against the salt, water, etc. - (previous hitches have always began to rust first on the surface where the bar inserts). Also, certainly will be good to have as shin/clothing protection once this vehicle becomes my wife's main car in a few years and she has to sometimes use for more mundane things then towing a ski boat, e.g., loading groceries . . . :(

So, will leave it in place and let it grow on me, but in the end I think once I come across some good anti-slip "trak top" or "stomp pad" material (that they use on top of snowboards for back foot when riding off chairlift), I will just stick that on to the metal step and go with the bare look.

Hope this helps - I know a lot of folks have the Hidden Hitch tow hitch.
  • jimdboatjimdboat Member Posts: 5
    I have an 02 PF with nav Unit and just purchased new discs. They are $100 ea. if you purchase 3 areas. I think there are about 8 in all. They are updated yearly at the end of October. The web site is zenrin.com. It took a few phone calls and searching to find them as the dealer wasn't too helpful. Hope this helps. I only wish there was only one disc to purchase. The 3 D view probably uses too much disc space but I never use it.
  • jimdboatjimdboat Member Posts: 5
    With the price so high from the dealer for a hitch, I got one (Class III, tube/hidden hitch) on e-bay for about $135 delivered and $40 to install. Not as easy to install as you might think. Tight but do-able. Looks great. Love the step. The Thule 3-bike rack I bought for $100 is excellent. It tilts down for access to back door. Highly recommended.
  • baddestbob1baddestbob1 Member Posts: 96
    Sorry to take so long to respond, (I've been out hearding cows). I attahed cover from bottom up, used washers on head for exact fit, Found some black coated nuts on top, a little easier to remove that way,
  • hokiejeffhokiejeff Member Posts: 1
    MJOHNR99, Thanks for your detailed installation instructions (post #348 - 12/9/2002) concerning the hidden hitch installation. I will probably need that in the very near future.
    I have a 2003 SE and I'm debating which hitch to install. Why did you choose the hidden hitch versus the draw tite?
    Do some advanced searches from September of last year forward and you will mind more than you probably want to read about my narrowing down process and the reasons why. [For new PF owners, there are only 350 posts on this board and I found it worthwhile to read them all after I bought my '03 LE.] Basically, on the hitch, Hidden and DrawTite were the final two on my list, similar in price and load ratings - went with Hidden to get the metal step (which I definitely do like now) and also seemed that many had successfully installed it on this board. Hard to interpret all the back posts, but based on my reading, it also seemed that the Hidden may have had less potential to have issues vis-a-vis the muffler, etc. . . . as you can see from my install post, it was not an issue AT ALL! :) Still have not wired it - will do so in Spring with a kit from Hoppy probably. I imagine wiring could be harder than the hitch install itself! ;> We shall see . . . and I shall post.

P.S. Hidden Hitch receiver cover has grown on me and I like the looks enough and am keeping it on. Couple friends even noted it and thought, "hey, that's great feature covering it up like that." So, it stays. I have not attempted to modify it by screwing it on though -- it stays in place fine so far and I will take my chances with the thieves (it's cheap anyway). [But, if you are concerned, Baddest apparently had some good ideas.]
This discussion has been closed.