Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Pathfinder Owners: Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    pathstarpathstar Member Posts: 201
    I had the class III installed by the dealer when I bought my 2001 LE (and got ripped off - oh well). The step on the Hidden is probably a good idea. I was tempted to stand on my hitch at first when washing the rear of the roof - until I almost killed myself slipping off it. Now I stand on the rear bumper - even if it means possible scratches and getting it dirty.
  • Options
    mediaguymediaguy Member Posts: 11
    I recently have been thinking I don't like the running board on the 2003 LE. I think I like the tubular ones better. Has anyone changed this? If so where can I get one? And are they difficult to change? I'm thinking it's just a couple of bolts
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    Do you want to change out your running boards primarily due to looks, or are you looking for a more functional equivalent?

I've swapped out my factory side steps for some really heavy-duty bars, referred to as "rock sliders" because they can fully support the weight of the truck as it slides over tall off-road obstacles.

Not only are the bars a little cheaper than OEM parts, they are many times stronger. Quality of appearance, however, is in the eye of the beholder.

See pics here

Oh yeah, there are 6 bolts per side. Simple to remove and replace.
  • Options
    Well I don't do much off-roading. They don't stick out far enough to actually step on and ilike the tubular ones better. Just couldn't understand why the SE comes with the tubular and the LE comes with the flat. Why not have an option?
  • Options
    I chose the LE because of the flat running boards (and I wanted leather - In Canada only the LE has both). The tubular ones have only two small places that you can stand on when washing. The flat ones seem to protect the sides better as well from small rocks etc. thrown by the tires. I also noticed the tubular ones were easier to jam your leg against when standing very close to the vehicle.

To each his own.
  • Options
    mjohnr99mjohnr99 Member Posts: 193
    Good news, Nissan finally has the new, improved sunroof deflectors in stock from a different manufacturer. I do not have my invoice with me, so I don't recall the new part # or exact price, but think it was in the $60 range. I am not sure what the issue was with the delay, but was told they had a lot of plastic problems with their previous manufacturer/supplier. Although I can not compare because I have not seen the previous style, I can say that the quality of this piece is exceptional, on par with the quality of the side wind deflectors from WeatherTech I previously posted on, and far superior to the quality of the two sets of rough-cut Nissan side wind deflectors I ruled out.

Install was far easier than even your basic hood/fender or bug deflector. The only part where you should deviate from the instructions is in locating where to apply the plastic protective strips on the sunroof opening. Do NOT apply them per instructions; they will be in the wrong spot. I avoided this by loosely assembling the brackets and deflector and then marking with masking tape where I would then apply the plastic protective strips under the brackets. The rest was simple: just tighten down the two screws and your done in 10 minutes. No drilling; it's removable.

The reward: I was very skeptical on how much it would lessen the wind noise coming off my Thule racks, but, willing to try anything: can we say, about a 75% improvement!! Unbelievable, I can actually open the sunroof for the first time and hear the radio. Even at 70 MPH freeway speeds, I had no problem carrying on a normal tone conversation. Before this, the blockish Thule's made it impossible to hear anything at those speeds. I am not exaggerating folks. It didn't completely eliminate the noise, but it reduced it so much that I now can drive for the first time with it open - can't wait for Spring! This may not be an issue for those who kept the factory racks, but if you are super sensitive to such noise, it probably would improve what wind noise you may have as well.
  • Options
    New Part #: 999D4-XP000 (UNITED STATES Part #).

Nissan Price: $61.00.
  • Options
    Anyone install one of these on the 2003 LE? If so how much? My dealer says they'll do it for $450 because they have to get me a new key without the chip. Sounds like a lot.
  • Options
    They have to get you a new key -with- the chip, programmed for your vehicle, and hide it in the steering column. The vehicle will not start without the chip within about 6" of the ignition lock.

If you feel this is very important to you to have this feature, go ahead, however, you are defeating the best vehicle security system I've seen. Once installed, a thief just has to get a key to turn the lock (or even hot-wire it), as the chip will be there all the time.
  • Options
    turkdreturkdre Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Pathy with a Navigation system. In my area (East Coast-South Florida) the CD's are not updated. If a unsuppecting user followed the system, they better know how to swim. It takes them across a bridge over the Indian River Lagoon to the Barrier Island that has not existed for 5 years and this on a highway that is a major link between the east and west coast of Florida. Enough of my complaints. I use Microsoft Map Point with a gps capability at work. I wonder if this might in anyway work in my PF LE system? I doubt it but does anyone know?
  • Options
    joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    I'm thinking about installing airlift bags in the rear coil springs due to rear sag while towing my boat last season. A couple of questions:

1.About how much does it cost to install w/on board compressor?

2.Any brand to avoid?

3.Should I get the TSB for "bottoming-out" done first, or is it not needed if using the airbags?

4.I read a post about airlift bags throwing off the load sensor for rear breaking-is that anything I need to worry about when towing?
  • Options
    lofquistlofquist Member Posts: 281
    Instead of getting a new key from the dealer with the chip in it, just sign up for Mobil Speedpass. It's free, and they will send you two two 1" long lightweight keychain pieces. It uses the same TIRIS coding as from the factory. Realize though that putting one in the steering column defeats the factory immobilizer.
    Jon
  • Options
    phil47phil47 Member Posts: 394
    Has anybody found a good aftermarket performance rotor for the Pathfinder (>MY2001)?
  • Options
    smokey75smokey75 Member Posts: 434
    Hey LOFQUIST, just to make sure I understand, the speedpass key fob will work the same as the chip in the key? Isn't the key chip specific to your vehicle?
  • Options
    sergnysergny Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone figured out how to bypass the chip in the key in order to install a remote starter without a second $200 key? Or is there a way to get the key cheaper. I think the chip idea is great, but car manufactures are really taking advantage of people with a $200 key. I'm not too concerned with security in the area where I live. And if it does get stollen, that's what insurance is for.
  • Options
    hutch85hutch85 Member Posts: 8
    Late reply to the running board comments...

When we bought our '02 LE we asked to trade the running boards for the tubular style from the SE. Thought we were nuts, but we preferred the tubular style - looked a little tougher :) Simple swap, same bolt pattern - maybe you could trade for someone's SE boards.
  • Options
    sergnysergny Member Posts: 2
    LOFQUIST, sorry I didn't see the one about the Speedpass key fob. I had the same understanding as Smokey75. The dealer told me the key is $75 and it costs $125 to program it to the car.(What a rip off) Also, only 3 keys can be programmed to the car. How can the Speedpass key fob work. Have you actually done this.
  • Options
    808surf808surf Member Posts: 5
    Where can I get good price for Hood bug deflectors? The dealer quoted me Approx:$73.
  • Options
    mattman055mattman055 Member Posts: 57
    What's the best way to carry bikes on a Pathfinder? I can fit my bike in the back cargo area, but its a pain in the butt to fit more than one bike in there, plus I can't have more than one person with me when I do that.

I've seen those hitch carriers for bikes, but I don't have a hitch. I suppose I could add a hidden hitch and use that with a bike carrier, but that might be expensive, and add unnecessary weight (how much does a hitch weigh.

The other option would be the roof rack, but I suppose that is a big pain. Anyone have experience with either one?
  • Options
    For accessories like bug deflectors, etc., I have found that accessconnect.com has by far the best price and terms on everything. If you read through my earlier posts here, I describe the many purchases there with cost and part #. I think I ordered the Lund Avenger hood and fender protector . . . read back about install and such.

Same goes for hitches. I have an earlier post here on the Hidden Hitch and its install; I think it weighs maybe 45 pounds? I have Thule racks on top, but my Mongoose mountain bikes are really way too heavy and too much of a pain to put up there. I just ordered a Thule hitch carrier for 2 bikes. Although I have ordered Thule from REI in the past, I recently found that www.orsracksdirect.com was a lot cheaper: total price with shipping was $140 (versus $170 with REI) for a basic Thule 2-bike hitching post carrier. We save the inside area of the PF for our cargo and our lab.
  • Options
    pham7pham7 Member Posts: 13
    Is any one know the spec. for the Bose system on 01 Pathfinder? I like to know how many ohms for it so I can replace the speakers. I already email Bose but the did not reply to me yet.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    I have a complete set of these liners in Tan. They are marvelous and saved my butt a number of times on messy cleanups.
  • Options
    georgialina1georgialina1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I am trying to decide between the Nissan oem cargo area liner, which covers the top of the wheel wells (?) and the sides of the cargo area in addition to the back of the rear seats. My 2nd choice is the Black Armor cargo liner @ jc whitney which covers the bed and back of the seats. Which has the better quality materials?

I have 2 dogs that love to ride, in addition to carrying household garbage to the recycle center. I don't want the interior to get trashed like my last vehicle. So I want the best coverage without losing an arm and leg. Any input is appreciated.
  • Options
    nova87nova87 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a '03 SE with a vcr - the price was great. However, I am re-thinking the VCR purchase and probably should have gone with a DVD as most of my son's movies are in the DVD format. How easy is it to swap out the VCR? Also when they installed the VCR they made it impossible to fully lift the rear carpet without having to cut it out around the player. Is this always a problem?

Thanks,
  • Options
    Georgialina1,

Sorry for any delay, but been "preoccupied" with other matters (see Problems & Solutions!). :< No doubt you have read earlier posts on the Black Armor product, but I have not had a chance to update the board on this (and some other) accessories that I have purchased.

On the cargo liners, my Black Armor has done well with THE EXCEPTION of the main cargo mat piece staying in place when my dog rides AND it also being a bit slippery for him (yes, he really gets it on turns!). Basically, my 85 lb lab causes it to slide out of position every time and it gets caught up in the hatch closure latch. It works well for everything else and has full protection, but this turned out to not be 100% perfect as I hoped. I tried velcro, duct tape, and even bungee cords to keep in place, but it would always get out of place and I couldn't close the hatch until he jumped out and I could rearrange.

My solution: the Husky cargo liner! As you know from other posts, I love the Husky floor liners for the seat wells - turns out the cargo liner fits perfectly on top of the Black Armor that I already have in place! It's a win-win for me now. The Husky cargo liner stays in place because it has lips all the way around; plus it's treaded surface is not slippery for the dog - a plus! The disadvantage is that it doesn't cover the seat backs, and when the seats are folded down, that rear lip sticks up. But for me, it's not a problem: I use the Black Armor when I am hauling furniture or something with the seats down - offers full protection, no lip when seats are down, and furniture slides easily. Then, when seats are up and/or dog is going to ride in back, I just throw in Husky liner on top of the Black armor and I'm all set.

I'm not saying buy both, but you can see they each kind of serve different purposes. If it were me and I had to buy just one, I'd go with the Husky. Again, I don't work for these guys, but accessconnect.com has the lowest prices I have found on most everything, especially Husky liners. I didn't like the appearance of the Nissan product, so no info for you there.
  • Options
    danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I just received my twistep from Canine Auto Restraint Equipment. It is a multi-use step that mounts to your receiver hitch. When in use, it retates out from under the hitch. It can be used to stand on to wash your truck or to help load you favoriet pet dog. When not in use just push down on the dial and twist, the step rotates under the hitch out of the way. The twistep will support 500LB's. It's also convenient for loading and unloading cargo from the roof rack. I got it for my 01 Pathfinder, it took about 15 minuts to assemble and mount to the receiver hitch. I also purchased the twestep locking bolt for a 2 inch receiver, to help keep honest people honest. It's really great if you have an older pet that has a hard time entering the back of your SUV. If you would like to take a look, go to www.twistep.com. Total cost for both items plus shipping was $193.00.
  • Options
    jszeijszei Member Posts: 6
    The 2003 Pathfinder SE has 2 roof racks. The first are the rails as found on the LE. The second are the larger rails that run over the first. Then there are the crossbars, easy enough to remove. There is also the fairing or wind deflector. Can anyone tell me how to remove the second rack? I would like to leave the rails that are also found on the LE. The reason is that I have a Yakima bike rack with locking "rail riders" that will fit into the first set of rails. I do not want to have to buy the "mighty mounts" for the SE's tube rack, only to then have 3 sets of racks installed. Any input is appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    I found out how. You pop off the top of the rack's ends (up). Inside there are screws (torx) to remove the wind fairing & the rack itself. You will need the 4 caps that are found on the LE to cover the gaps.
  • Options
    brisoupbrisoup Member Posts: 56
    I am considering installing a K&N airfilter on my 2002 Pathfinder. Has anyone else out there try to put one on thier truck? Did you notice any improvement in acceleration or fuel milage? I normally put 93 octane fuel in my truck and gas prices have been killing me lately!! Any imput would be appreciated!! THANX!
  • Options
    I'm looking to remove the roof rack on my '03 Pathfinder SE (if anyone wants it). Before I do that I need to obtain the end caps that come standard on the LE to cover the spaces under the risers. It doesn't have to be an '03, any of the recent years will do. Does anyone know where to get these parts, have them, or want an SE style rack if they have an LE?

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    mikeeeemikeeee Member Posts: 7
    jszei,

I have a 2001 LE and would be interested in swapping racks with you. Where are you located? Mike
  • Options
    happyghappyg Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I just bought a 2003 pathfinder LE and wanted to protect the front of the hood from rocks and such. From reading this forum, I tool mjohnr99's advice on getting the Lund Avenger. Looking at the install instructions though, it says that you have to remove the weather stripping under the hood and discard it.

I really don't want to do that because that would leave the front of the hood vulnerable to salt and dust. I was wondering if there is a way to install the Avenger without taking the weather stripping off either with screws or without. If not, is there another product that anyone has used that will do so.

Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    kraygkrayg Member Posts: 5
    I have a vehicle-to-trailer wiring kit and it states I have to take off the two taillight lenses. I've removed the two screws on each but there seems to be a white "thing" holding the lens in place. Can I simply pull until it pops off or will that break it?
    thanks, craig
  • Options
    xplorx4xplorx4 Member Posts: 621
    The answer to your question is "Yes, you can pull it off; no, it won't break." Each taillamp is secured by two plastic bullet-shaped "tabs" and two screws. When you pull, be sure to pull straight back. Don't pull it off as though you were opening a door, or you will break the tabs.

For a much cleaner installation, I don't recommend tapping into the wiring in the taillamp though. Depending on your truck's model year, there may already be a trailer wiring harness receptacle/plug under the vehicle, near the spare tire or rear bumper.

If your truck lacks this plug, consider tapping into the wiring harness behind the plastic panels in the cargo area instead. It's then just a matter of determining the function of each wire (but it isn't as obvious as finding the wire attached to the light bulb). You'll want to remove the taillamps, including the wiring harness that feeds through the body. The harness unplugs from a socket behind there, and you can then access that socket after removing the plastic panels in the cargo area.
  • Options
    jayzmahaljayzmahal Member Posts: 4
    i just recently bought an '03 pathfinder se and im just wondering what the bolt pattern are for the wheels if i wanted to get aftermarket wheels. also, is there any place i could go to get grill guards?? even used ones are fine if you guys know of any website that has them....thanks!
  • Options
    greasergrrlgreasergrrl Member Posts: 7
    from message 340 - i didn't see an answer and i have the same exact question (getting a new pathfinder but have a subwoofer and 2 amps and want to know whether i can add them easily to the pathfinder's stock stereo):

P.S. Before I sell all my old CRX with its aftermarket speakers, amps, etc. left over from my old 20-something days when I had time to fool with such things, I thought I might want to keep one of my more expensive amplifiers in case I ever wanted to add a subwoofer to the Pathfinder. The stock Bose is nice all around, but could use more balance in the bass department. Does anyone know if the stock head unit has "pre-amps" (e.g., RCA like jacks) built in for the addition of an amplifier? If not, I'll sell the expensive amp as well, as I do not want to replace or fool around with the head unit / inline CD changer. I notice that there is one external amplifier in the driver's side rear cargo area wall - anyone check that out to see how wired and/or whether a second amplifier can be added using the "leads" to the factory amplifier? Just a long shot here. THX
  • Options
    mahipalcmahipalc Member Posts: 20
    Can someone please suggest a place for a good aftermarket grille guard for my 03 PF LE. From some of the posts here, I get a feeling that most people dont like the Nissan grille gaurd very much. Any specific reasons for this? Are there better grille guards and if yes where can I find them.

Any inputs highly appreciated!
  • Options
    scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    I got to installing my bug shield this weekend. kind of a pain, but I got it on. had a hard time getting the hood closed until I got the weather stripping tucked in. However, the hood does not close flush like it did w/o the deflector on. there is a small gap at the top of the headlight to where the hood meets the grill. I know the bug shield adds a little bit of thickness, but I just want to make sure this is normal before I let Nissan re-install it.
  • Options
    jmstratm2jmstratm2 Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to intall Yakima bike racks cross bars to the 2003 SE Pathfinder and I need to find end caps for the rails now that I have removed the factory racks. Once you remove the factory racks there is a 1-2 inch gap. I also wanted to know if anyone has had trouble with noise from the sunroof after taking off the factory fairing.
  • Options
    greasergrrlgreasergrrl Member Posts: 7
    i saw a bunch of messages scattered all over about getting chrome exhaust tips - what's the latest/what do i need to do to get one for my 01 LE? not canadian. can i just go to the local muffler shop or are they going to try to bolt on one that doesn't quite fit? do i need to order one from my dealer or is there someplace online that sells them? thx
  • Options
    pathstar1pathstar1 Member Posts: 1,015
    Borla makes some fancy stainless ones.
  • Options
    bigjohnbigjohn Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys

I'm an avid surf fisherman and want to install a front 2" receiver hitch to my Pathfinder. This way, I can use the aluminum rod racks that many surf fishermen use.

Has anyone ever done this? I have no idea where to start.... I don't know what type of hitch, if I'll have to drill holes or is there one available that just bolts on (I know the rear ones just bolt on nowadays).

Thanks for the help...
  • Options
    nicklesnickles Member Posts: 41
    Question.

does anyone know if a interior Sunroof Shade for a 2001 Xterra, would fit a 1995 Pathfinder?

were there any differences in the 1995-2001 designs of these sunroofs ?

thank you!
  • Options
    robbmedrobbmed Member Posts: 2
    Have you checked out www.waag.com? They're pretty well-known.
  • Options
    joe233joe233 Member Posts: 43
    Has anyone seen a replacement analog clock for the Pathfinder similar to the QX4?
  • Options
    cm3246cm3246 Member Posts: 8
    Can anyone help with directions on how to install the sunroof deflector? We thought we had it right but then the sunroof wouldn't close correctly. Thanks to anyone who can help.
  • Options
    lovejettalovejetta Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 SE and would like to have a tow hitch installed so i can haul my bicycles easily.

The dealer wants $500 to install the Nissan class III hitch. Gosh...that's seems high...my bicycle is only a few hundred more!

I know you can buy these hitches from aftermarket dealers....which is the best one? And more importantly...where can you get one installed? (I'm not mechanically inclined)

I live in Texas just North of Houston.

Thanks in advance...

ps. I have been noticing that my brakes are squeaky...should I be concerned? I only have about 6,000 miles on my Pathfinder.
  • Options
    danpf1danpf1 Member Posts: 89
    I have a K@N Air filter on my 2001 LE, I installed it a few months after I bought my Pathfinder. The main reason for installing it was to save on labor and cost to replace airfilters but the added benefit is a very responsive engine when I hit the gas pedal. I also use full synthetics, the two combined probably results in some horse power increase and improved gas mileage. The best improvement is a cleaner running engine that takes in more air when needed. I have been using K@N air filters now for about eight years with no problems.
  • Options
    pathy04pathy04 Member Posts: 27
    I recently installed tow-hitch(Draw-tite)and added a bicycle carrier(Thule, model # 944).
    The distance between the tailgate and bike-carrier looks too-long. is this normal?
    Also the distance between bumper and two-hitch seems not right. see link below

http://photos.yahoo.com/sumasrees

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks
  • Options
    land2206land2206 Member Posts: 3
    I have an 02 Pathfinder with the BOSE in-dash CD chgr. I was hoping to find a way to switch the entire unit out for a later model unit that had XM Radio capability (03-04). I am also assuming I would have to add the satellite antenna and make some other minor modifications. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I might find a source (other than the dealer) of Nissan stereos for this type of switch?
This discussion has been closed.