Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS Recalls & TSB

Comments

• riotexriotex Member Posts: 10
    Thanks,
    I spoke to a mechanic and as I was driving he asked me to put it in neutral and it went away. He told me to add a bottle of friction modifier. Not to sound ignorant but where are the cam chains? Are the rear half shafts the full cv joint assemble? The car has 75k miles.
  • the_necroscopethe_necroscope Member Posts: 65
  • gunnersmategunnersmate Member Posts: 243
    I concur!
  • riotexriotex Member Posts: 10
    What are the rear half shafts? Which updated parts? Everyone says it's the pinion bearing.
  • the_necroscopethe_necroscope Member Posts: 65
    The half-shafts are the short driveshafts that connect the differential to the hubs. Essentially, the LS has three driveshafts: Tranny to Diff, Diff to RH hub, Diff to LH hub.
  • jv8jv8 Member Posts: 6
  • kalmoosekalmoose Member Posts: 1
    The bubble is WAY off on my headlight balance. One light is really high, one is really low. Anyone know what the cause is or how to fix it. There is a little socket screw to turn but it doesn't seem to do anything when I turn it. THanks, Matt
    kalmoose@kalmoose.com
  • lamarlamar Member Posts: 9
    The small hex screw does adjust the aim. You must turn it quite a bit before the bubble moves. There is another one underneath the cover which adjusts the right to left aim.
  • jv8jv8 Member Posts: 6
    wanted to let you know the transmission has been replaced. it is just over 20,000 although the problems started many miles ago. hope this fixes the problem. driving a town car for a week while waiting was its own adventure. thanks for your interest.
  • dclsdcls Member Posts: 32
    Well it happened. A substantial fender bender - nobody hurt. Some left front wheel/fender/lights/bumper/body damage. LS is being repaired by an authorized LM body shop. So the question is what to look for other than the obvious workmanship/warantee & aftermarket parts. Anyone had a similar experience??
  • sdladysdlady Member Posts: 4
    I am having the throttle control replaced on mine tomorrow. I did get a code, but the transmission has been slipping also...check it out.
  • lsaaronlsaaron Member Posts: 1
    i see you have a 2000 ls im looking into buying one im just looking to get some feeback on the 2000 ls.So if you could give me info abou this car.
  • dcls6dcls6 Member Posts: 13
    I bought a 2001 V6 and have no regrets, I love it. Worked out a few bugs and provided a 36 mo free maintenance. Even better - 2003 model had several techanical improvements, per this forum.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    Try Nokian WR's. Best all weather year around tread snow tires I've driven on, and they handle great in water, too, which many snow tires don't. www.nokian.com has info. They have other makes if you want a pure snow tire
  • ploveplove Member Posts: 1
    check engine light came on, took car to dealership and check lead to e-vap leak, and broken roll over valve. No evidence of damage or scuffing on tank. 1,700 miles out of warranty, $2,300 repalcement, Ford won't help!

Have NEVER owned a car that has needed a new gas tank!

What could be the cause, if tank wasn't defective to begin with?

Please HELP!
  • nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    If the servicing dealer is the dealer you bought the car from, you should ask for an After Warranty
    Adjustment - the dealer can do that at his discretion pretty much, and they usually will for a Lincoln customer....if you were one. If this isn't the selling dealer, that's probably why they're not fighting for you.
  • donbarondonbaron Member Posts: 13
    My 2000 LS 6cyl. is idling rough. Sounds like a cylinder is misfiring or perhaps we got a bad tank of gas? Other than ckecking the fuel filter and spark wires has anyone out there have trouble shot this symptom or am I needing to do some dealer diagnostic. Too bad the general public never caught on to this vehicle; it otherwise has been one of the best vehicles. Don
  • gkarggkarg Member Posts: 230
    Don,

This is a "Misfire" from one of the cylinders due to a bad COP (coil-on-plug.) Is your check engine light on? A hook up to a OBDII computer would most likely tell you which cylinder is misfiring and a simple replacement of the COP would solve the problem. The COP's do not like moisture - at all. I've replaced 3 on my V6.

The ones on the drivers side are a breeze to swap out. The ones on the passenger side require a little more work/patients.
  • lamarlamar Member Posts: 9
    Go to Autozone and they will hook up an OBDII to check your trouble codes for free.
  • donaldm1donaldm1 Member Posts: 19
    02 LS V8. On two recent occasions, after driving a short distance, the temp gauge when to hot, the very top and the warning chimed "check temp."

After shutting down and checking for lost fluid (there wasn't any evident) restarted and everything back to normal. Will take it in on Monday, but wonder if anyone else has had this experience.
  • cbaggettcbaggett Member Posts: 1
    This has happened to me 2x in the last week or so. Drove probably 3 miles and check temp warning came on. Turned immediately off and back on and it was fine. Checked "status" and all was fine. Mine will chime with no message as well. She is a 2001 V8. In addition, I'm smelling occasionally a burning rubber or oil only when the heater or a/c is on. Seems more prevalent when I'm backing into my parking space or garage. She will go into the shop this week but curious to know what to expect. :confuse:
  • marcosesmarcoses Member Posts: 1
    This has been hapening to me for the past week or so. I brought it to Autozone when the Check Engine light was on and the code was P1299. I have it at my mechanic now. Some other sites said this problem had to do with the Hydraulic Fan Motor. When I restart the car everything goes back to normal, however, I have no heat. With the temp turned up to 90 degrees, it still blows cold air. It sounds like some sort of temp sensor. I hope it's something simple like a sensor. Some people spoke about changing the Hydraulic fan motor for about $1100. Hope it's nothing like that! I guess I'll find out tomorrow when I speak to my mechanic.
  • shoats24shoats24 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Lincoln LS temperature gauge went to Hot and a symbol lit up on the dash and the air conditioner was blowing out hot air. I was told to turn the heater on full blast anytime your your car runs hot and the temperature will drop down and that was true. The temperature actually dropped. When I stopped the vehicle the solution in the resorvoir was boiling as if someone was boiling crabs and I took it in to Ford and they could not find the problem, so I drove for a few weeks and the same thing happened again and I didn't take it in yet, because it went back to normal again.
  • mrudolphmrudolph Member Posts: 2
    Was curious as to what the remidy was for you problem. My 2000 LS v-8 is doing the very same thing. Also has some sort of problem with the climate control, or lack there of. Don't know if these are related. Thanks for response in advance.
  • ejo1lsejo1ls Member Posts: 2
    i've experienced the same throughout this year with my 2001 LS V8. First time I took it in to the lincoln dealer (thank goodness for extended warranty) the thermostat was replaced. shortly afterwards, the engine idled roughly but intermittendly. I thought it was a tank of bad gas. But no, 2 coils needed to be changed. Now 8 months later, the same issue with the engine temp going hot after driving 5 minutes and water dissapearing out of the radiator resevoir. Took it back to the dealership in Oct and they said it only needed a radiator flush. Well, 4 weeks later same issue and the engine is idling rough again and hesitates before gears shift. Just dropped it off at the dealership tonight. And looking at the messages on this board reminded me of the air conditioning going blazing hot on the passenger side and cool on the drivers side. It did it for two weeks and then stopped.
  • mrudolphmrudolph Member Posts: 2
    I can tell you what my dealership found with post 78. The issue with the temp not regulating was low coolant levels. This makes since I have never checked the radiator, only the resevoir. I would have thought that making sure the resevoir was full(I have)would suffice. But the dealer says no, that's not the case. This also caused the overheat warning to come on. All they did was add coolant. If there is air any where in the system, which is not always detectable even when checking the radiator it will exhibit these symptoms. What they had to do was remove the cap and run the engine up to temp and then at high revs for some time to bleed the air out. Then slowly add coolant. Changing the stat seems like a guess on your dealers part but it's easy so most will do it anyway. As far a flush goes that may fix the problem but only because of the process. The rough idle was addressed in a TSB which is unrelated to the cliamate control issues. I also had that issue repaired. Good luck!
  • ejo1lsejo1ls Member Posts: 2
    The dealership said that the resevoir for the radiator was cracked. I never saw any evidence of leakage, so we'll see. And I was right about the coils. Two more went out. I had the flush done by the dealer in October and still had the problem with the resevoir not holding the fluid. I may get it back tomorrow and will give an update.
  • davis6davis6 Member Posts: 2
    Help. I have a a 2004 Lincoln LS V8. It has been in the shop 3 times for the heated and cooled driver's seat. They have replaced the modules on the seat and it still shuts off after 30 seconds. I have pick it up at the dealership and yesterday we drove 32 miles and it never shut off worked perfect. Turned the car off at mall got back in and started home it rum for 1 minute and then turned off and if you try to turn it back on it will not. You can cut the car off and re start and it will stay on for 30 seconds and do the same again. The cooled part works great but heat want. Any help or suggestions please. This is my 2nd lincoln We had a 2000 V8 and no problems and we have a 2005 V8.
  • brooster54brooster54 Member Posts: 25
    I had the exact same problem with my '04, and my dealer fixed it right the first time. I'll pull the work order tomorrow, and let you know what they did. I've had the car 18 months, and this was a day one problem that's never returned. :)
  • davis6davis6 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, It is back in the shop this week. They are scheduled to pull both front seats out and the console.
  • kat18kat18 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Lincoln LS. We bought it brand new 19 months ago. Since that time we've had it in the shop for numerous complaints about the transmission, which they said is normal. Can feel every shift and at times when first starting out, it feels liks the transmission is going to drop out. Now it is in the garage because of the rear hub has gone bad and needs to be replaced, and the stirring column has a problem. So far the warranty has taken care of everything, but now we have over 25,000 miles on the car and the warranty will soon run out.

I'm frustrated and concerned. Is this normal for the Lincoln LS' or did we get a lemon? What's a person to do?

Kat18
  • mikels8mikels8 Member Posts: 2
    2000 LS8..COOLING FAN PROBLEM. THE FAN IN THE CAR HOWLS WHEN THE CAR IS WARMED UP. SOMETIMES I GET TEMP SPIKES WHEN THIS HAPPENS(I THINK IT IS BECAUSE THE FAN IS SLOWING DOWN) I REPLACED THE FAN BUT STILL HAVE THE PROBLEM. THIS HAPPENED AFTER THE DEALER CHANGED THE VALVE COVER GASKETS. I TOLD THEM ABOUT MY PROBLEM BUT THEY WANT TO GET PAID TO CHECK THIS OUT.. ALMOST SOUNDS LIKE A CLUTCH FAN ON A COLD CHEVY TRUCK WARMING UP. DOES ANY ONE KNOW WHERE I CAN FIND INFO ON THE RELAYS & SENSORS THAT MAKE THIS FAN WORK. THE CAR HAS 60 THOUSAND ON IT SHOULD I CHANGE THE STAT??
  • terry24terry24 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2000 LS certified used in 2003. It has been the worst car I have ever owned. I have had 4-5 misfire problems. The first 3 were under the cert. warranty. the last, this week was not. It cost me $ 800.00. oil leak in the cylinder and all. The first was the second day I owned the car. After one month I begged the dealer to work out a deal with me. I even offered to buy a new 2004 with the refund. He did not want the car back. John Scanlon Dealer, Fort Myers, Fl. never again. I had rear wheel bearing replaces, so much has gone wrong it is hard to list. This car as cost me so much money. Heck the driver door handle broke ($110.00 part and labor). That was hard to swallow. I am not new to Ford. I had owned three going back to my first car ever the Grand Torino (1974). That was a car. in 1984, purchased by first non Ford car. A Camry, again a great car. I usally baby my cars for at least 200,000 miles. this one will not last 100,000 miles. The
  • ebenthamebentham Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 04 yesterday and having them look at the tranny because it was 'jumping' when it would shift through the gears. Also it would hesitate on accelerating when pressing the gas. My question is.., will all this work be covered under my Extra Care ESP? Also, what if the problem is there when I pick it up on Tuesday. DO I have to take it? One of the items I had them write down was checking the transmission. Hope Im posting in the right place.. Thanks ebbentham AT yahoo DOT com
    Eric
  • notnutznotnutz Member Posts: 2
    My right rear tail light went out-I changed the bulbs and there is no power at the socket-the dash light indicates bulb out-anyone with any similar problems
    Notnutz
  • jerseyguy1jerseyguy1 Member Posts: 54
    my wife has the 6 cylinder '04 LS. It too had been suffering from harsh shifting. Dealer "reprogrammed" the tranny and it is much better. Not perfect, but much better.

Her 6cyl LS came with the 16" Continental tires. Extremely noisy. Anyone have the same issue? Drove an '06 V-8 LS and found it to be a much quieter car overall. Service Manager has been more than willing to go for a drive with me and to tell me if the car is exceptionally noisy. Just have not yet had a chance to do so.

Am aware of a TSB on cupping and feathering on the 16" Continental tires.

Thanks for any help
  • akirkmanakirkman Member Posts: 6
    i know this posting is a little old, but i was wondering what you found out about your car. i have a 00 LS v-8 and it does the same thing i have replaced spark plugs and coil packs ( over $900) and it still messes up. My mechanic says it is manufacture fault. please let me know.
  • jkarsh99jkarsh99 Member Posts: 3
    I know this was mentioned early but I have a 2000 LS V8 that I love where the Drivers side rear window stopped operating and the dealer replacer the regulator and the motor. Is there a TSB on this that someone can point me to? I tried to get there from the link mentioned in an earlier posting and that part of the site appears to not be operating.

By the way if anyone has difficulty in the winter in this car throw on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires. Costly but they change the whole way the vehicle drives and handles. I swear by them.
  • ladymacladymac Member Posts: 2
    This is a new car & I'm still within the 30 day return policy. When I accelerate (hard) to merge into traffic, there is a pause/flat spot between gears. This is frightening when staying with traffic. It's at the dealer again. They can't find anything using the computer. I don't want to live with this kind of problem for the next 3 years. Would it be to my advantage to hold them to the return policy and take my old car back? Any help would be appreciated.......Thank you.
    if you can get rid of it now DO!!! mine is a 00 LS V8 and i have the same problem, when it does that it almost feels like the transmission is failing or the engine is misfiring, but i had all spark plugs replaced ($250) the coil packs(they do not have the reg spark plug wires($500) and it still does the same thing I have had it to a transmission shop, to a dealership and no one can fins out what causes it but i hear that all of the LS's do it they are just badly manufactured cars.
    I don't know about the TSB but i have a 00 V8 too and my driver rear has done the same thing 4 times and each time the regulator and motor is replaced you know how expensive that is.
    i have a 00 LS V8 and i am having the same issues and i have taken it to 3 mechanics and all of them say it is manufacture defect. i even had to replace my brake rotors and calibers 8 times since i first got the car and it only has 80000 miles on it so i called ford and they want me to take it to their mechanic who of course says it is not a manufactured defect. those repairs were $1200 P&L a pop! i hate my car and cant get rid of it for anything.
  • ladymacladymac Member Posts: 2
    Eric.....I just bought an 2006 LS. I've had it 2 weeks and it's doing the same thing yours was doing. Mine's under warranty, but Ford, not the dealer, says that's the way they are suppose to drive, so there's nothing to fix. I'm going to have to start writing letters, I guess. How did it turn out for you?
    MaryAnne
  • displacedtexandisplacedtexan Member Posts: 364
    Am aware of a TSB on cupping and feathering on the 16" Continental tires.

I have an '04 V6, too, and the dealer replaced the original Continental tires with a new set of Michelins, citing the TSB, when I took the car in for its 20,000 mile service. I hadn't noticed any problems with the ride or the tires, hadn't said anything to them; they just changed them. I do notice the difference and find the ride much quieter and smoother. If you're within 25,000 miles, take it in, complain, point out the TSB, and request they replace them. Nothing ventured, nothing lost.

As for all of the talk about transmission problems here, I've not had any problems with mine. With 25,200 miles, I have no regrets about this car.
  • jkarsh99jkarsh99 Member Posts: 3
    Four times? Did you have to pay all four times. Parts should have been covered for 12 months from date of repair.
    not for parts, but i had to pay for labor.
  • nsibansiba Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have liked the options/style of the LS for years and was about to buy an '05 or '06 used LS. After reading these postings, I am nervous about the transmission complaints, etc.

Would you recommend this car to a friend or family member after having owned it for a few years?? In the test drive it is hard to notice many of these issues.

Thank you
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    Buy a new one.
    They are giving them away and have a great warranty.
    Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!!!Put it this way, I would not take another one if they gave it to me for free straight off the showroom floor.I just had to have my rotors and calibers replaced again, because of a factory defect that ford lincoln refuses to recognize even though 9 different brake shops have agreed that it is a factory defect.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    "I just had to have my rotors and calibers replaced again, because of a factory defect......."

Again? How many times? How many miles? How was it driven? What is the factory defect you're talking about? How about some specifics?

Me, I specifically have a 2001 LS with 77000 miles and I did the brakes for the first time a couple of months ago. No defects. 77000 miles. I think that's pretty good for a set of factory brakes. And my commute was up and down an 1800 foot mtn pass every day for 5 years. Oh, I do know how to drive so I don't destroy brakes.

As for an LS, I would definitely recommend one. Mine has been as close to trouble-free as any car, except for an HVAC nuisance problem that I can work around. You won't find much in the way of competitors to the LS for ride/handling/road feel/fun-to-drive etc. If it makes you feel better, get an extended warantee.
This discussion has been closed.