Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Owners: Meet the Members

Comments

• hyundai35hyundai35 Member Posts: 5
    My 2003 Santa Fe has the standard CD/cassette AM/FM radio. My question, if I upgrade to Hyundai best radio/CD/Cassette, are the speakers which came with the Santa Fe the right combination for the better radio?
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    I agree on the toque vs. horsepower statment. The small increase in horsepower is overshadowed by the difference in low end torque on the 3.5.

My salesman told me that the 3.5l engine has a cast iron block, leading me to belive that the 2.7l is an aluminum block with cast iron sleeves. If this is true, the 3.5l is much heavier than the 2.7l. I don't know if this translates into HP loss at the rear wheels, but I'm sure the extra weight would be the equivlant of carrying around an additional passanger all the time. Can anyone confirm this?
    I don't know if the same speakers are used by both systems are not. From an engineering standpoint, it would not be cost effective to carry more speaker types in inventory than necessary, given that they are all the same size. It would make more sense to carry just the one size (wattage) speaker for the front and rear than not. I'd venture to say that the price difference between a 25 watt "normal" speaker and a 60 watt "premium" speaker would be less than five bucks a pair.
  • ldpenroseldpenrose Member Posts: 2
    I am Larry from Atlanta, GA...moving to Columbus, OH soon and just got my 2003 SF 3.5L, 4wd and I am still amazed every time I get behind the wheel or look around at the quality of this vehicle!!!

when I move I will certainly lose this vehicle to my Wife...who will then be smiling and happy she is rid of her Saturn - then I will buy either another SF or the 350

health and happiness to all.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    I just bought my wife a 2003 Sanata Fe LX with the 2.7 V6, leather and no moonroof. After rebate, and some haggling, I got it for $22,119.
    So far, we're very happy with our decision and the vehicle.

This is her second Hyundai, the first being a 2000 Elantra which she was tired of driving. It's a good commuter vehicle, but I hated driving it on long trips. Anyway, this is intended to make her daily drive more enjoyable and long trips more enjoyable when we're packing a lot of stuff.

I bought a 2003 Tiburon GT in Feb. 2002 based on her trouble free experience with the Elantra. Now, after a year and a half, 50,000 miles on her car and 40K on mine and no problems with either car, we decided to test drive all the smaller and mid-size SUVs. I started out not caring for the front fender treatment on the Santa Fe, but the test drive, along with the warranty, high content level and our own satisfaction with Hyundai, convinced us to get this vehicle.

The only concern I have right now, is gas mileage, I'm hoping to see 350-400 miles to a tank (since it's a 19 gal. one). That should be about 20 mpg and since her driving is mostly 50-60 mph on the highway, I think it's reasonable.
    I've seen where some have got this kind of mileage, while others are moaning about poor mileage. I'm crossing my fingers on this one!
  • soranosorano Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2003 LX Santa Fe fully loaded AWD, Moonroof, etc for $25,400 including tax, title and everything. I think it was a fair price, does anyone have any comparisons. I live in New Jersey.
    Thanks
  • soranosorano Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have or know of real off road experiences with the AWD LX Santa FE. It almost seems to nice to take off-road How does it hold up in a real offroad situation?
    Thanks
    Everything I have read about the Santa Fe indicates that it is not built for serious off road use at all. As posted, it is too 'nice' of a vehicle to attempt trips off the beaten path.

Someone on another Santa Fe site posted that they had taken theirs to the beach and not had any problems getting stuck. Another poster stated that this SF got stuck in some shallow mud because only the left front tire would even move, and it was spinning in place. The AWD function didn't seem to be working for him at all.
  • r0uganr0ugan Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 LX fully loaded with moon roof and 3.5 engine. My only complaints so far are the power outlets shutting off when you turn the key off, and the brightness of the light coming from the automatic heating system display. I currently have 400 miles on it and so far I love it. If anyone has any info on how they fixed either of the above problems I would be glad to hear from them.
  • sailon60sailon60 Member Posts: 2
    Question: Are all 2003 Santa Fe AWD LX 3.5 equipted with a 17.2 gallon gas tank?
    Figuring gas milage during break in at 1,100
    miles is 15 miles to a gallon around town. Light foot with conservative driving with occasional hills. Two passengers with large dog for weight.
      Is this in the range that you have also for milage and driving conditions? Anyone know at what odometer reading that gas milage will be consistant or improve a bit?
    You really have to give it a few tank fills to get a good average. Also, the answer depends upon how you are figuring your MPG. If you dividing the miles driven by the size of the tank, this would be a totally inaccurate way of measurement.

Anyone wanting to help themselves should keep a log with their vehicle. Pencil in miles driven, gallons used, MPG, oil changes, problems/fixes, etc. The running MPG figures come in handy when you have one of those elusive problems that the dealer can't repeat in the shop but causes your MPG to dip way down. The log is proof that the vehicle does have a problem, perhaps something that the onboard computer can't see.

FYI, my '03 Lx with 3.5L engine averages about 21 MPG. 17 city with the air on, 23 highway with the air off.
  • caliabbafancaliabbafan Member Posts: 1
    Recently, my old 2002 Huyandai Santa Fe was wrecked by a drunk driver. The insurance company had to total the cost of the vehicle. I had to buy a new 2004 Huyundai Santa Fe for myself. I was pleased with the handling of the road of my old one. I bought a brand new one and its riding ability is incredible. I'm very pleased with my purchase and the dealer made a great offer which was too good to refuse. I'm happy that I did choose the Santa Fe, my brother was right it's a wonderful car to drive.
    CaliABBAfan
  • jpmri5jpmri5 Member Posts: 4
    Purchased a 2004 Santa Fe Lx with 3.5 v6 4wd.
    I really love the car. Fully loaded, had running boards and wood grain installed.
    Price was great (I think), paid 23,900 after $1,000
    rebate. (New york price)
    My only disappointment is the gas mileage.
    I have been getting about 11 mpg in local driving.
    Is this right or is their a problem?
  • triplectriplec Member Posts: 7
    I'm working with a dealer for an '04 3.5L AWD w/moonroof. With rebates, loyalty and him giving me 500 below invoice, I've got him down to just under 18,500. Do you think I should go ahead with it?
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    I think that's a hell of a deal. Does it include destination charge?
    That does include the destination charge. I always get cold feet when buying a new vehicle. Wondering if I'm getting a good enough deal. I just don't want to get ripped off.
    Triplec,

I assume that's a GLS AWD 3.5?

If so, that's almost too good to be true. It's a very, very good price. Is it a demo? Because, according to Edmunds, the invoice price on this configuration is $22,182 after the rebate (which appears to be $1250, not $1000, right now).

I'd be worried, too. I'd be asking if the vehicle was damaged in transit or something.
  • jason86jason86 Member Posts: 14
    triplec, that's a great price for the 3.5. so great that I want to know where you got it!
    I'm trying to get the GLS 3.5 AWD from St. Joseph, MO. The dealer started me at the invoice price, then too 500 off that, then 1250 rebate, 1000 loyalty (2000 Elantra), and 2500 for my trade-in. So we are just under 18500. He's working on the interest rate now. I should hear something today. This vehicle is for the wife. She wants this SUV bad...w/moonroof. They will deliver it to my doorstep and free service (oil, etc.) for first 2 years and give us a car during that time.
    Now I see the whole picture with the trade-in mentioned:)

If you're happy with the trade-in value (are you??)then go for it. That would make your price before the trade-in $21,000.
    I could probably get about 3000 if I sold it myself, but didn't have time to hassle with it. It's a 2000 with 93,000 miles on it. Does it look like I'm making out alright in this deal?
    I think it's a very fair deal for you and the dealer. He makes a little and you save a lot.

The trade in is a little low, but close enough with that mileage. Go for it!
  • vic1vic1 Member Posts: 1
    I would love to buy a 2000 santa fe with 93,000 miles at that price. Let me know if you decide to sell it your self.
    vic1, sorry, that was a 2000 Elantra with 93,000 on it. And I traded it in on my 2004 Santa Fe. It's my wife's vehicle. We have had it for a week now and love it.

Sorry for the confusion.
  • rscottrscott Member Posts: 2
    Hey I just purchased a 2004 santa fe front wheel drive 3.5 l engine and the rear cargo mat and the roof rack $22296.00 how is that price any comments??
    Did you have any downpayment or a trade-in? I got the GLS 3.5 AWD w/moonroof & roof rack for just under $21,500. I had a trade-in of $2500, $1250 rebate and $1000 loyalty.
    It would be a lot easier to determine if you got a good deal if you include:

1. The MSRP (manufacturer's sticker price less any additional dealer markup!). Please do yourself a favor and refuse to consider any ADM!

2. Your model (GL,GLS,LX and FWD or 4WD and 2.7 or 3.5 liter)

3. The options included

Leave the trade-in out of it, as each person's situation is different and whether you got a good trade-in or not isn't relative.

Always negotiate down to a price you're willing to pay BEFORE dealing with the trade-in value.
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    We have had our Santa Fe GLS 2.7 FWD now for nearly 2 months and really like the vehicle.

Only problem we had was with a slight pull which after 2 visits to the dealership (and moving tires around) seems to be gone.

Sales experience was poor and a whole different story from the GREAT service we have received at the dealership.

My recommendation is to check out Carsdirect.com - I wish I would have gone that route.
  • jerkyjerky Member Posts: 2
    I'm close to purchasing (2) Sante Fe(s) and I would like to know if the Monsoon Audio System can play burned MP3 cd's?
  • matthewmatthew Member Posts: 11
    Have my new Santa Fe just 2 days, I noticed that the controls for the side view mirrors and power locks are not lit up when the headlights are on like all the other controls. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • bigkahunaflbigkahunafl Member Posts: 128
    No, it does not play mp3's - wish it did!
  • jerkyjerky Member Posts: 2
    I'm returning from overseas, and I have purchased two 2004 GLS Sante Fe(s). What do I really need to pay attention to when I first see and get into them. Give me some good info. Thanks.
  • bet2bet2 Member Posts: 1
    I'm ready to buy a Sante Fe and would appreciate any advice on buying the 2.7 vs the 3.5. Also am interested in anyones buying experience in the Phoenix area with pricing. I will want the moonroof,ABS, and traction control. Thanks
  • davidkeith37davidkeith37 Member Posts: 30
    Try looking at the Message Board Hyundai Santa Fe: Prices Paid & Buying Experience, Page 9, message #146 for a report that may be of help. Here at Edmunds if you look for Hyundai under new cars the Internet address of Petri comes up and that is how I came to get an offer from that dealership where I did make the purchase.
  • ahutchesonahutcheson Member Posts: 3
    Good Day:
         I am new to this members forum. Have recently purchased a 2005 Santa Fe from Jim Pattison Hyundai in Naniamo on Vancouver Island, Canada. I have nothing but good things to say about the vehicle and the dealership. Would like to chat with other Santa Fe owners concerning their likes and dislikes of the vehicle. Talk to you later, Andy.
  • carnut09carnut09 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Andy, my name is Lou and I also just picked up my 2005 Santa Fe LX AWD on 11/26/04. I have to say that the Santa Fe is much better than my 2002 CRV EX that I had previously. Mine is black with beige interior. The car drives great with good pickup. My only problem which really isn't a problem is that the radio does not hold the levels of bass and treble when I set it. Thats it. Have a great weekend.
  • eddiedaddyeddiedaddy Member Posts: 2
    Reading through the joyful messages, I keep wondering if I am the only one has problems with Santa Fe (2002, 32,000miles).

It's been 10 days since the "speed cable" (per a service person said) had been pulled out, and chocked to 6000-idle rpm, followed by engine check sign lit. A technician told me they could not figure out what's the problem yet, so what they can do would be just replacing each part one by one, until the sign turns off. A guy title as an "advisor" kept talking "you are not eligible for a rent car", whenever I showed.

Actually this is not the first time to visit the service center. About one year ago, the car did not started, without any sign. I had to unload my camping gears.

Do you think I am exceptionally unlucky? Or any member had similar problem?
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sorry you're having troubles with your Santa Fe. You might want to check over in Santa Fe: Problems & Solutions.
  • keetsokeetso Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone.

I'm new to this forum and are from the Kitchener/Waterloo region of Ontario (1 hour west of Toronto).

My wife and I picked up our new 2005 Santa Fe GLS two days ago and couldn't be happier. The dealer bent over backwards to make us happy (even loaning us his wife's Santy for a weekend for an extended "test drive".
    I've bought and sold many cars over my lifetime and have to say that this has been one of the most pleasant buying experiences of all.

I would like comments on purchasing an extended warranty. We were told we could purchase it anytime during our regular warranty period and wondered if it might be worth the extra investment.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

Mark">
  • ggbggb Member Posts: 1
    Hey Mark

We are also from KW and will be getting our new Santa Fe soon. Just wondering if you got any replies or ideas about the extended warranty. We were thinking about the 8 year 160,000 Km. Thanks

GB
  • keetsokeetso Member Posts: 2
    Hi GB.

We didn't purchase the extended warranty when we closed the deal as the Sales Manager said that it could be purchased any time during the regular warranty period so we decided to wait a bit and see how well the car holds up in the next year or two.

Which dealership are you considering (or have purchased from)?

Mark
  • illbrvingillbrving Member Posts: 1
    Purchased Mine from Jim Pattison,North Vancouver,it was hard to make up my
    mind about 2.7 OR 3.5 gls,took them both for a test drive,apart from mabe better
    gas mileage they both drove the same,I've only driven 1700 klm so far and I'm
    Wondering about the changeds they are going to make on to the 2006,My
    thought is should I have bought the 3.5,Like to hear from you 2.7 owners?.
  • kyrhettkyrhett Member Posts: 2
    Hi from Kentucky:
    Have had my 2005 Santa Fe GLS (3.5) for 8 months. Love the peppy engine, comfortable seats and the Shiftronic transmission feature is really functional on slippery roads - especially with the SF's non-linear acceleration problem. Have had no other problems - by the way the acceleration problem was reported to NHSA, but no action has been taken as far as I know - Let me know if you have any questions about your new SUV (Also service has been A+)
  • cheri_67cheri_67 Member Posts: 2
    Hi from Maryland~

I purchased my new 2005 Black Obsidian GLS 3.5 less than a month ago and I still couldn't be happier with it!

I'm new to this forum and wish I'd found it earlier when I owned my 2002 Crystal Blue Santa Fe.

I haven't had any troubles with mine... ... ...knock on wood... ... ...and I'm hoping there's a modicfication forum around here somewhere.

:)
  • marathon1marathon1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Mark,

I work in the KW area and am interested in purchasing a GL V6 FWD Santa Fe. Just wondering which dealer you purchased yours from and would you mind letting me know what you paid "out the door"? It's hard to find Canadian dealer pricing info sometimes....

P.S. I do not plan on purchasing the extended warranty. Based on the reputation of the SF, I feel it is worth the gamble not to extend...

Paul
  • ajgiordaajgiorda Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I bought my 2002 Santa Fe LX on Sept. 29, 2001 and never had a problem with it! It has been the best vehicle I ever owned. I have 45,000 miles on it now :shades: and it still runs very smoothly. Had the front brakes replaced at 35,000 miles. I was wondering about replacing the radio. I have the optional 6-CD changer and wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions on a good replacement that doesn't cost the same as the vehicle! Thanks!
  • sf121kmisf121kmi Member Posts: 14
    I own a 2001 Santa Fe with 120,000 miles on it. Yes I commute. In the last 2 months the engine has "tired out" is what the dealer told me. :confuse: I have since then, had to replace not only the engine but also the starter, the fuel pump, some fancy computer sensor and now the power steering pump has went. I am still paying on the vehicle. I contacted Hyundai Consumer Affairs and was told simply "Sorry it's out of warranty, there's nothing we can do." I have had many HIGH mileage vehicles in my time and have NEVER had these kind of problems. I have maintained this vehicle as suggested by the dealer, who did all of the work, until the "first" warranty of 72kmi is up. I LOVED this vehicle so much and took such good care of it :P and it is completely falling apart right now. :sick: In two months I have put over $4700 into this beast. So to all of you low mileage owners .. enjoy the smooth wonderful ride now and start a "Santa Fe Repair Fund" because you're gonna need it. At least to you other 2001 owners. Hopefully Hyundai has since worked out the bugs.
  • johna3johna3 Member Posts: 1
    Bought new 2003 Smaller V6 AWD SF June 2003. Now has 28,000 miles - including five 2,700 mile round trips to Fl. Only problem to date (knock wood) was clock went on fritz - replaced under warranty. MPG - 25 on road, 18 around town. Next time will try FWD only - should improve mpg. Followed mfg. instructions as to break-in. Roars when accelerating to enter interstate access but gets it done! Great vehicle.
  • ajgiordaajgiorda Member Posts: 2
    I have the FWD in the 2002 SF and my sis-in-law has the AWD. We do not see any difference in mpg, which surprised me (I do all highway driving in my commute). If anybody has any other findings for their FWD, let John know!
  • arb18arb18 Member Posts: 2
    Hi all, just bought my first new car...a 95 Santa Fe. I have been looking at the Santa Fe since last year and finally decided a month ago that this car bypassed the CRV (my other option) by price by a few thousand dollars. I formally owned a 96 Civic and it was a great car, just was getting older...only had 86,000 miles though.

I got the 2.7, fwd version in Moonlit blue, which I love. I am getting the sunroof option installed later. Has anyone else had the sunroof installed after factory? What did you think?