Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• houstonhyundaihoustonhyundai Member Posts: 11
    I did it, bought the 08 Limited Santa Fe and LOVE it so far. Cant wait to figure out the mpg' s as soon as I need the first tank of gas. But who wouldn't love a brand spanking new car?! My only minor problem is my tire pressure light is on and when I was thru with signing paperwork, all tech's at dealership had already gone home so I'll have to return car to have them remove/fix warning light. Dealer is even throwing in pin-stripping and free window tint. all for $23,500. I hope mpg is decent, will have to wait and see.
    Well I did it I bought the 08 Santa Fe Limited. Their's just NO comparison when you drive it and compare to Rav 4. Much smoother, quieter and just plain out more more more for your money. I like the 18 inch tires, sits up high, the600+ watts stereo with 6 disks, xm, stereo. rear air, standard sunroof,homelink, leather etc.... I just hope mpgs will be decent. Now if I can just figure out how to program the homelink to my garage door, I will be quite HAPPY! Haven't even tried yet, maybe this weekend. Sante Fe just has the look and I love it!
  • pamcaulfiepamcaulfie Member Posts: 10
    I love my Santa Fe but am really disappointed with the gas mileage. I've had it for 6 months and 5000 miles but so far the best gas mileage I get is 16.9 mpg (even on highway). I left it at the hyundai service dept for 3 days when I got the first oil change and they thoroughly checked it out and said it met factory specs & they couldn't explain why it wasn't getting the 17 to 24 mpg that it was supposed to.
    I'm curious as to how other new Santa Fe's are doing on gas mileage.
    God that's awful! I hope mine does better, I've been reading the blogs posted here and seems like the peple are getting anywhere from 14 to 25. My sales rep at dealership says alot of it depends on how you drive. So I'm babying mine and driving real easy and slow. i will not keep it if I do not get at least the 17 mpg. I put 10k down so I will have no trouble unloading it if I need to. But I LOVE the vehicle so I'll keep my fingers crossed on the mpg.
  • mtjc521mtjc521 Member Posts: 26
    For your $23,500 Limited SF, was that FWD? ?Any optional packages on it? Navigation? etc. Sounds like a good price for a FWD. thanks for any info for my price hunting.
  • hondamom6hondamom6 Member Posts: 19
    I've had my 08 Limited FWD for a little over 1 week and have been getting 14 mpg city driving only. One thing I would like to point out that most people don't know is that if you are buying gasoline that is an ethanol blend, you will get 3 mpg less than regularly blended gasoline. The gas pump you use should have a sticker on it declaring it an ethanol blend but they are not required by law to have the sticker so it could still be ethanol blended and you wouldn't know.

I just filled my tank last night with regularly blended gas and will be watching this next week to see the gas mileage. In the city where I live, the only regularly blended gas stations are Chevron.
    I've heard that you don't get a true idea of gas mileage until the car is "broken in" at about 2000 miles. At 5000, mine is well beyond the break in period with no improvement. Most of my driving is in the suburbs and I take it easy and stay within the speed limits. The mileage improves slightly when I drive on the highway.
    Otherwise I love the car and spent many months shopping around and checking out the competition (RAV4, CRV, Outlander, etc.). Since I only put $2000 down and have a 4 year loan, I'm stuck with it since all cars depreciate in value the second you drive them off the lot... so I'll just keep driving my little Silver Blue Santa Fe and hope gas prices go down.
    Keep me posted how yours is doing on mileage... good luck!
    wow, I thought all regular unleaded gas was the same... Is the decision to sell an ethanol blend vs. a regular blend determined by the oil company, the gas station owner or the state or city? I would like to find out more about this.
    I live in Maryland near Wash. DC and usually buy my gas at Shell or Citgo.
    The price is just the base limited SF, I believe the only other options extra I got were tinted windows, floor mats and cargo net. No nav,. I didn't want that, I just wanted the best price on a limited no extra's to keep it cheaper. Also so far my avg. mpg according to the car's trip computer is 20.8 mpg. I'll know more after a little more driving considering the car is not even broken in yet.
  • hondamom6hondamom6 Member Posts: 19
    The refineries that make the gas are the ones to decide if they want to make ethanol blended but the government gives them incentives to make it. I believe that the govt. is going to start requiring it soon. I'm sure there are many web sites regarding this issue if you want to google it.

All the gas stations in our area use the ethanol blended except for Chevron. The local refinery makes their gas to their specs without ethanol. I know this because my husband works there. The only way you will find out if your gas station has ethanol is to just look at the pumps to see if they've posted a sticker stating it.

I drove my car today with the Chevron regular gas in it and the gas mileage reading showed I was getting 17+ mpg. With the ethanol blend it never got above 14. And the Chevron gas was only 0.03 more than the ethanol at the Super Walmart but that station is also in a ritzier part of town so that may be why they were charging more.
  • petrelpetrel Member Posts: 4
    My local dealer gave me a quote (in-person) of $26.1K for a Limited AWD with no additional options, except mats. This price included the $3.5K incentive Hyundai is using right now, and was before any taxes, fees, etc. Looking at other prices on this board, that does not even seem close to being in the ballpark. He claims the invoice was $29675, which does not match up with Edmunds or KBB, which I was seeing closer to $28.8K.

Just want to get everybody's opinion on what price should be reasonable given the market right now and what they're seeing from dealers. This dealership had around 50 Santa Fe's on the lot, so there definitely should be some incentive to get rid of them.
  • justthinkingjustthinking Member Posts: 23
    for the exact same vehicle in Dec. 07. That's when the rebate was either $1000 or $1500. If the rebate is $3500 now, you should do better.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    It would help to know where you are. We purchased an 08 SF AWD Limited with floor mats, cargo tray, mud guards, and Bluetooth in late July from Fairfax Hyundai in FairFax, Va. After discounts and rebates, we paid $23189 + $389 processing fee (another name for profit) + TTL. That was a far better price than we could get from any dealers here in south-central PA. And it helps that we have some family down there, so we made it a day trip. ;)
    You can do better, keep shopping, go to other dealerships and one of the easiest ways to get a quote is via email. Email several dealerships you can do business with and tell them what you want and let them email you a quote. I did this and had lots of good responses. Good luck! I'm in the Houston Texas area and limited can be had here in the upper 22k range (like $22,900). Probably a little more for awd but I wouldn't pay too much more.
  • mtjc521mtjc521 Member Posts: 26
    Keeping shopping --- $26.1 for Limited AWD is too high. >>>According to newspater ads in Oregon, $8000 off MSRP on ANY 08 Limited is a given and the start point --- maybe the ending point for those dealers but I am still trying by email and their websites. ?????? You said, "dealer had around 50 SF's on lot" ---- What city & state has these the overloaded SF dealers??? Thanks.
  • denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Either you need to find a new dealer, or buy yourself some hip boots - because it's gettin' a little deep where you are. All those figures are waaaaay off. A Limited AWD with no other options should be buyable for UNDER $23K after rebate.
    This was in Des Moines. I went back today (closed on Sunday's) and counted 48 on the lot, so my guestimate was pretty close. I did see one reason the invoice price quoted by the dealer may be off from Edmunds, due to the fact that they added a paint protection and mud guards for $385 & $85 - neither of which I would find worth paying for. Nevertheless, they appear to be way too high, and I will look at the Kansas City region if they are unwilling to come down significantly. Looks like there are about 5 Hyundai dealerships down there.

Thanks for all the input on the pricing!
  • 04sunfire04sunfire Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a silver blue '07 Santa Fe SE AWD with 9k for $18,000.00 before my trade in. I traded in my '04 Pontiac Sunfire with 75k. The dealer gave me over KBB for my trade in...I was shocked! The grand total came out to be $14,700.00 after taxes and motor vehicle fees. No car payments for me! I have been averaging 16 mpg combined city and highway (I was hoping to get a little better fuel economy).
    I purchase the car through Lester Glenn Hyundai the number three Hyundai dealership in the country and the number one Hyundai dealership in NJ. Lester Glenn does not play games like other dealerships and always give their best deal. My family has purchased three cars from Lester Glenn in the past five years and I recommend them to anyone.
  • antonio27antonio27 Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a 2008 Santa Fe Limited FWD no addtional options.

Steel Gray Black Leather

$20,999 + $99.00 Dealer Processing Charge =$21,098

Of course tack on tax and tags.

I live in South Florida and purchased the vehicle from Fitzmall in Maryland. The price was so good I'm paying a freight fee of $550.00 to get the SUV to my home. Fitzmall does not offer all 2008 Limited's at this price. the Sales Guy (Cool Guy not pushy at all) stated that the only reason they were able to offer this vehicle at this cost was because it was on there lot for a longer period than the other limited's. They do have one left at this cost, it is a Platnum Sage with Beige leather. here is the link.

http://www.fitzmall.com/fitzway/carfind/RESULTSB.ASP?V_XREFID=LFOH148375:2008-07- - -20T01:05:40.447

Good Luck!
  • landrewlandrew Member Posts: 5
    How did you reconcile the catch-22 with the lemon law?

Florida:Vehicle must be purchased in FL.
    Maryland: Vehicle must be registered in MD.

I am also thinking of purchasing from Fitamall in MD as they have AWD models in stock. I do not want to loose the protection of the lemon law. It looks like a vehicle purchased in MD and registered in FL will not be protected by either state.
  • antonio27antonio27 Member Posts: 13
    I never factured in the lemon law. Something I need to research.
  • bamadriverbamadriver Member Posts: 1
    We're considering buying a 2008 Santa Fe Limited FWD service loaner with just under 8K miles - khaki exterior, black leather interior, no navigation, no touring package, from a dealer in Tuscaloosa, AL.

Price from dealer is $23,312, OTD ($22K car + TTL), with full new-car factory warranty; the loaner has not been titled before. Checked Carfax for lemon law/manufacturer recall report - both clean.

I haven't mentioned our trade-in yet; wanted to see what dealer's lowest price was first.

We will be trading in a 2006 silver Camry LE, cloth seats, no sunroof, with 13,500 miles that we own outright; will not be financing the difference between the trade-in and the Santa Fe.

Edmunds/KBB lists Camry trade in at about $14K ...

Santa Fe OTD price: $23,312
    Camry trade in: $14,000
    Current difference: $ 9,312

Anyone have thoughts on the lowest difference we might could get the dealer down to? My husband wants to offer "around $8K" and see how low the dealer will go.

Much appreciated!
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    A service loaner is another name dealers give for a used car, but try to sell for a new car price. For gosh sakes it has 8,000 miles on it. Your Camry has only 13,500 miles. It's puzzling why you even want to do this.

My thoughts are insist on a brand new Santa Fe with less than 100 miles and yes, you can do better on price. Go to another dealer if you have to. Do more research and read previous posts here.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    You should be able to do WAYYYY better than that offer. At the end of July, we bought a new 08 Santa Fe Ltd AWD with mats, mudguards, cargo mat and Bluetooth for $23321 + TTL and $389 processing fee (dealers profit basically). I don't have the exact details here, but the MSRP was somewhere around $31K. You shouldn't be paying that amount for a "new" SF. Work that dealer hard. He can do much better if he really wants to get your business.

FYI, I just checked the website for the dealer I bought from (www.fairfaxhyundai.com) and they have 08 SF Ltd FWD around $21900 or so. Like I said before, you should do better than the deal on the table. ;)
  • jasonchiefsfanjasonchiefsfan Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 2008 Santa Fe GLS - Auto trans. with no other options. I have read that this model could be purchased around 18k, Sticker is 23k, should I start at 17k or lower. Does it matter if I want to use the 0% financing instead of the rebate? Thanks in advance for responses.
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Bankrate dot com offers a nice calculator for this purpose. Check it out.
  • wtnlvrwtnlvr Member Posts: 10
    Wow, you are all getting some real killer deals. I thought I got a great deal but not like those mentioned here. I can see why though, fairfax lists over 100 Santa Fe's in stock. My area dealer (in Mass) only has 13 and I only had 4 limiteds to choose from. Not many of them left on dealer lots around here, but they are still dropping prices in anticipation of the 2009's.
  • bobmc3bobmc3 Member Posts: 8
    We have a 2003 Santa Fe with about 45000 miles and a brand new transmission. We are thinking of selling this car and possibly leasing the newer 2008 model which has been substantially changed for the better! We travel about 10 miles both ways to work, and travel little except to Chicago once in awhile (300 miles round trip). What are the pros and cons about leasing?
    Finally pulled the trigger on a new Limited AWD Santa Fe (No DVD or Nav) today. Got a decent deal at $24.2K, but know that others have gotten better. The biggest impedient was the fact that we were looking for an exact color specification (exterior & interior) and thus, only could find one dealer in a 300 mile radius that had one that we were looking for. So, most dealers that said they would locate one would not go below $24 since they were factoring in the extra costs of getting it and trading for it. The dealer I bought it from was very nice, and overall I am content with the price I paid. So far, after one day, can say that I am very happy with the Santa Fe and am looking forward to driving it more. In total, I contacted about 15 dealers, 4 or 5 which responded with true interest. Of those, 2 came down to $24K for their price of locating the vehicle from another dealer. But, ended up going with the dealer that actually had it on the lot and I left happy.
  • roughyearroughyear Member Posts: 52
    glad you found the color combo you desired... but that price should have INCLUDED the Navigation. you should have qualified for at least $9k off the sticker or $6k off PLUS 0% interest program.
  • justthinkingjustthinking Member Posts: 23
    Maybe you could have done better, but I think you did pretty well. I paid 26k last December for the same vehicle, except an 07, and I took a color they had on the lot.

Enjoy the vehicle. We're in our 9th month of ownership with no issues to date!
    Well do I feel dumb! My son informed me that as of August, becasue of all the financial problems with banks and the loans, etc. "leasing" is a thing of the past! Seems too many banks lost their shirts on the deals as car owners traded in their leased cars for newer cars to lease instead of buying them! So good bye to leasing...at least for now. Is that what your hearing on leasing out there?
    bob
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,777
    Hyundai quit leasing back in the spring.... or, maybe even earlier..

I assume they were taking a bath on the residuals...

There are plenty of makes that are still leasing, just not Hyundai...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ask8ask8 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a SF GLS AWD, without options, no trade in, is 21K a good price? I am in Dallas-Ford Worth TX. :confuse:
    Thank you for that info; I guess I'll go and see what kind of a deal they can swing on their loaner car I drove while my 2003 was getting a new transmission! May be I can swing a deal if they haven't already unloaded it!
    Bob
  • srz948srz948 Member Posts: 75
    What's the story with Edmunds TMV pricing. The TMV price of my Santa Fe Ltd AWD Navigation is $31,432. I paid $25,300 and nobody in these forums paid anywhere near that. I understand that their price doesn't include the rebate of $3500 but still isn't close. I noticed this discrepency on most cars I priced.
  • r8edr8ed Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking to buy a 08 Santa Fe Ltd AWD with no upgrades except bluetooth. I live in New Jersey. What should I be looking around for price? $23,500? Should I go now before end of month or wait until October and see if the rebates get better? I saw somebody posted I could get 9k or 6k (but 0% apr) off sticker. 6k w/ 0 apr is actually a better deal. Probably around $9 less a month. Thanks.
  • art___vandelayart___vandelay Member Posts: 2
    To better help my fellow mates:

2008 Santa Fe Limited FWD
    Options:
    Group 15 (Touring & Navigation)
    C7 (carpet for 7 seats)

$25,000 (plus title, license & doc fee)

Purchased 09/30/08
  • islander55islander55 Member Posts: 4
    I live in New Jersey and looking at the same vehicle, have you shopped around ?
    What dealers have you look at ? I stopped by Global but was not happy and walked
    Contact the internet department at global. For a Limited AWD, they are giving:
    2250 off INVOICE
    3500 dealer incentive
    1000 rebate
    -------------------------------
    6750 Total off INVOICE

Or you can skip the $3500 off and take 0% financing. You still get the other $3250 off.

This was on Monday. I was going to pull the trigger, but I can wait another month. I want to make them sweat it and hope for even more discount.

If you get different number from them, please let me know.
  • iamscharlesiamscharles Member Posts: 1
    Here is what the VIN etching car scam is and how to avoid it.
    Every 23 seconds a vehicle is stolen in the United States!

Statistics as shown by numerous police departments and insurance companies reveal that this can be the most effective anti-theft device for your car.

Many car insurance companies offer vin window etching to customers at cost because it has proven to be an effective auto theft deterrent.

Read on to find out how this extremely effective method of auto theft protection can be a scam.

To way to avoid the VIN etching car scam is easy and it involves having all the glass in your car etched with your cars Vehicle Identification Number (also known as your VIN).

Thieves will pass up a car with VIN etched glass. Why? Because it seriously diminishes the value of your vehicle because it can cost your sleezy thief boy as much as $2000 or more to replace your cars glass.

So even your most idiotic car thief will just move on to the next car to steal instead of yours.

So at what point does vin window etching become the vin etching car scam? Well, that happens at your car dealer because...

Car dealers will charge you from $150 to $500 to VIN etch your car's glass!

They love to add this to your car as an "option" figuring that you won't know any better and you will just bend over and pay for it. Most do, but now YOU know better!

If its already on your cars glass, then just refuse to pay their exorbitant charge for it.

By the way, you may be able to reduce your car insurance bill from 3% to as much as 15% when you avoid the VIN etching car scam.

So to avoid this vin etching car scam just do it yourself! Its easy!

Thats right, because with the right VIN etching kit, it will only cost you about $20 and a few minutes of your time.
  • shmshenshmshen Member Posts: 20
    Beware of the transmission problem on Santa Fe. My brand new 2008 Santa Fe transmission broken and got replacement. See here: http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/WebX/.f0fbfec/744
  • floweelfloweel Member Posts: 1
    I just bought my 08 GLS last month for $19k out the door (taxes, tags, fes, etc. included) in Charlotte, NC. I didnt use 0% financing, at the time they didnt have that option on the santa fes. I got aroud 5% APR. I had to call around and go back and forth with dealers to get to my price but I'm sure this month would be even easier to get what you want. :) Good luck!

BTW I absolutely love it! Even with gas being crazy I dont regret buying it at all. With every tank of gas my mpg is improving.
  • haebbyhaebby Member Posts: 5
    Just purchased a new 2008 Santa Fe. Purchase was end of September. Noticed that the manufacturing date was beginning of January 2008 - almost nine months ago. The Vehicle was just delivered to the dealership on a truck, i.e. it was not standing on their lot. How is this possible? Does Hyundai keep cars on their lot? Was it brought in from another dealer? Thanks!
  • danprtrdanprtr Member Posts: 25
    Your experience is the same as mine. Purchased new '08 early Sept. and it was made Dec. '07. Just before closing the deal on this car I asked the salesman when it was made and he said he only knew that the car's invoice on his desk showed the dealership took delivery 2 weeks ago. The salesman didn't point to the sticker on the door frame that said when it was made and I didn't know to look there at the time.

Dealer trades mostly, plus Hyundai warehouse lots, are probably what causes some cars to age in inventory more than others.
  • haebbyhaebby Member Posts: 5
    Is it common that Hyundai itself is keeping cars in their warehouse/lot for so many months? Thanks!
  • papayamoopapayamoo Member Posts: 12
    Just bought a '08 Santa Fe Limited AWD with Navi and 3rd row seats in NJ for $31,500 OTD in NJ. No bluetooth or any other accessories. Did I over pay? I never discovered this site until last night and I was horrified reading the prices posted here by other folks! Just some additional info, I bought it with the 0% financing option and got the $1000 factory rebate in the price too. Any feed back is greatly appreciated.

:confuse:
  • danprtrdanprtr Member Posts: 25
    Be careful what you believe from the responses you get. Some people here like to brag about their deals and throw low numbers around. Rarely is detail and careful attention given to accuracy. Items like Destination and Sales Taxes are seldom broken out to allow for variance by state or location (8% vs. 5% state sales tax makes a big difference).

If you like how you were treated by the dealer and got the color and options you wanted, enjoy your new car (we love ours)! Ignore anyone who tells you they bought the same car for $8,000 less (I've seen similar exaggerations). Dan
  • papayamoopapayamoo Member Posts: 12
    Hi Dan,

Thanks for taking the time to reply my post. I can understand that some people do come here to brag and the actual amount of discount will vary. The car has been great so far, only 3 days and 260 miles so I guess the jury is still out on how it will hold up in the long run.

This is a total impulse buy. We were lured in by the 0% financing and I had to replace my rapidly deteriorating '98 Honda CR-V with another AWD vehicle. The test drive went great. The ride was nice, acceleration decent and fit and finish wasn't bad either. Not top tier Japanese car great but very impressive nonetheless. Because we were at the dealership late, the salesman really came after us and wanted to make a deal. So base on the sticker and what I remember of the invoice prices (which check out with what the dealer showed me), I thought I was getting a pretty decent price since it was about $500 less then invoice including 7% tax and all the other fees OTD.

However, the doubt and the panic about our decision started to creep in as soon as we drove the car off the lot. The turn signal did not work the whole way home! And this was right off the lot. The turn signal would not return to the off position even if I turn the wheel 1 to 1-1/2 revolution. Bought the car back to the dealership next day and the problem seems to go away when the service person drove it. But since then the problem comes and goes like a ghost. Very frustrating.

Then I found this site last night. Saw the thread on pricing and transmission issues posted here and just about had a panic attack! Also, when we brought the car back to the dealer to look at the turn signal issue we had experienced the same unfriendly service described by some other posters. Which seems to suggest Hyundai has a culture of stonewalling the customers and that's not good to hear.

I just hope that my first Hyundai experience won't also be my last either. Thanks all for listing to my ranting.
    I am buying a Limited AWD w/o Nav in NJ by the end of this month, so I will post exactly what I paid and I will break it down. I got the discounts I posted earlier in an email from the internet department and that was for September. I think I can shave another $500 off this month. Your deal is done, so enjoy your vehicle. At least you aren't paying interest on it.

Which dealer did you use?