Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• denvertrakkerdenvertrakker Member Posts: 132
    Have you tried Arapahoe Hyundai in Centennial? That's where I got my '08, and they had way more vehicles to choose from than anyone else. By comparison, Longs Peak had exactly one car that met my requirements, and they were waaaay higher. There's also a new place in Boulder that might be worth checking out.
  • mtber2010mtber2010 Member Posts: 1
    needacar123, I'm also interested in purchasing a base model Santa Fe, also from the Sacramento area. Did you get a manual or automatic transmission? Sounds like you got a great deal!
  • needacar123needacar123 Member Posts: 11
    Mine is automatic base GLS. I tried Roseville and Sacramento Hyundai but I had a really bad experience with rude salemen there. I collected quotes from Bay area.

The only comeptitive quote I got was from fairfield hyundai. You can also try Stockton folks. But when I told them I am gettign base model for 22k OTD they said they can't do it so I bought from Fairfiled.

Now Stockton folks keep leaving message on phone saying they can do 22k. Well they lost my business.

Please share your experinece when you buy yours. I will be interested in knowing how was it?
  • dvancleavedvancleave Member Posts: 12
    I would advise patience, for a couple more weeks anyway. I caught wind from a Hyundai rep that the 2011 Santa Fe will have some new lines. It will still be based on the same platform. But they are stamping out some new sheetmetal for it to bring the appearance more in line with the Tucson. The interior is supposed to be about the same as the 2010 as are the trim levels and powertrain options. And it will offer some new colors too. It is not a complete redesign. Instead they are calling it a "refresh". And they say the prices will stay about the same too. The official date for announcement is set for October 15. Think about it...if it were identical to the 2010, why don't you see anything official on it yet? They are really keeping this hush-hush. I guess we shall see here soon.
  • karhanterkarhanter Member Posts: 5
    i bought 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS Automatic FWD for $23k drive-out. you think is it a good deal?
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    Depends on which state you live in. Here in high-tax California, it'll be 8.75% Tax plus Registration. Currently, getting $1000 Rebate on the GLS 4-cyl Auto, so total cost of $22,790. They are basically eating your tax bill, which here would be $1,994.12. Pretty good deal, I'd say.
  • jw08jw08 Member Posts: 4
    Looking for a base model GLS 2011 Automatic In Oklahoma.

Have managed to beat one dealership down to a price of $21,500 + $149 doc fee .. total out the door $21,649 ...

Anyone think there might be a little more blood to squeeze out of the stone ... or should I grab it and run.
    No Sales Tax, eh? That's way better than I can get out here !
  • jw08jw08 Member Posts: 4
    Nope - no sales tax .. but we gotta pay 3.25% of purchase price in Excise tax + $91 registration fee within 30 days of purchase at local DMV. So it will in fact work out @ around $800 more when all is paid and registered.

Got to within $349 of my target price with one dealer last night (just a quibble about my trade-in .. but I know i'll get this price If I speak to the other dealers on Monday) .. looks like there are cars out there - just wait and see who wants to make the deal now I guess .. I'm hoping to have in in my driveway by Tuesday :)
  • rppautorppauto Member Posts: 28
    edited November 2010
    i just bought my first new vehicle.

painful humiliating process. won't ever buy again from any dealer.

hyundai santa Fe AWD SE v6 (no package. just iPod accessories and floor mats)
    $23,600 + 200 (window etching) + TTL + Hyundai financing (3.99 or 4.99% )

I think there was room for more negotiation.

note: you need to pay $2k more for 10yrs warranty, else Hyundai only gives 5/6yrs warranty + 10yrs for powertrain

You can PM me for more info
  • anonymouse2anonymouse2 Member Posts: 17
    "note: you need to pay $2k more for 10yrs warranty, else Hyundai only gives 5/6yrs warranty + 10yrs for powertrain"

If you got had for a 2K warranty beyond Hyundai's excellent 5 year comprehensive, 10 year powertrain, you must have really been pressured at the dealership. See if there is anything in the fine print to get out of that. It is a really bum deal.

The Hyundai warranty is EXCELLENT and best in class. That extra 2K is pure profit for your dealer - you will be lucky if you get a dime out of it.

Paying for window etching was also a bad idea. Sorry man - it looks like they really worked you over.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2010
    You DON'T need to pay anything more for extended warranty, that's almost like a scam. Read the fine print, you have at least 30 days to ask for a FULL refund for those $2k. Just make a letter and bring it to the dealer, they cannot refuse.

We went through the same process, the dealer said that the only way to receive the 5% rate, back on Sep/2007, because our poor credit score, was to sign the extended warranty... yes, the whole process was humiliating. We accepted the deal then, but 4 days later the dealer took our letter with no problem. We got FULL refund.

You can do research just to learn that the dealer get 50% commission, the other 50% goes to the company that gives the warranty, so do the math.

DON'T BUY EXTENDED WARRANTY. Our Santa Fe has now 52.000 miles, no major issues. Last week we brought it to the dealer because it had a problem with a low voltage sensor, that was replaced with no cost. Other than that, our vehicle has had no problem at all. We bought it in Houston, TX
    yes, paying for window etching was not right.
    but, i made few mistakes. one was my diabetic father was with me and it was late in the evening and i had to move this along.

The GAP insurance and extended service warranty do say that you can get full refund if i terminate this within 30days and it would be pro-rated after that.

****I was also told earlier while buying the car that i had to buy warranty for hyundai financing which i later learnt was a plan lie (is it even legal for them to say this?)

so, i went to the dealer and terminated both (ofcourse after more of "you are making a big mistake".
    man, i hate dealers.

***dealer said that my 2k + $600 (GAP) would only be refunded AFTER i pay all my installments i.e. after i repay the entire loan. i.e. i am paying interest on the this $2600 even though i am not even "using" this money.

my friends say that this is not right. Hyundai financing should deduct this rightaway from the principal amount,

Guys, is this right? I am yet to call Hyundai financing.
  • That's NOT right, the dealer is making a big mistake saying so, they are abusive. Call Hyundai, they are very strict with customer satisfaction and they should know about that unpleasant experience.

In our case (Sep/2007) the company gave us FULL refund that was deducted from the principal amount in 10 days or so.

IMPORTANT!

1. The dealer should fill a form canceling the extended warranty because they prorate mileage, and everything should be written.

2. You should see the check with the FULL amount, they don't give it to you, they send it directly to the beneficiary, which should be Hyundai financing.
    yes. they asked me to sign a blank cancellation form and only after repeated prompts the "finance manager" signed himself and filled in the VIN # etc.

thanks. i will call hyundai finance.

btw, the dealer has been following up a lot with me to fill in Hyundai survey. he has told me that lot of his $$ in commission are dependent on it.

I am impressed by Hyundai's effort in customer satisfaction by i doubt if dealers would ever improve.

I was at Giuffre's Hyundai Brooklyn few weeks ago and this is what they did when i drove 45 miles to get there
    They lied. They did not even have a single santa fe in stock
    They did not honor the price they promised over the phone
    And as if this was not enough, the dealer sitting in the box made fun of my voice

Every one wants to make a profit but i have seen no sanity with these dealers.
  • terrymsuterrymsu Member Posts: 9
    I am currently considering two possible Santa Fe's.

Car 1 is a 2002 AWD with 140K miles, 2.7L, towing package. New tranny at 100K, Timing belt OK. Dealer is putting a new catalytic converter in one of the headers. (when I first test drove it, the Cat plugged up as I was driving it. Otherwise, we would likely have bought it then.) They want $5900. Vehicle is very clean with one minor issue. This dealer is actually a detailer who carries a few cars on the side.

Car 2 is a 2003 AWD with 83K miles, 3.5L, no towing pkg. Timing belt replaced at 75K. Vehicle is very clean with a couple of minor issues. This is a consignment vehicle thru a small dealer. Asking $8800, but I will not go that high. Location is west Michigan. Any thoughts? I will be using it for around town and for pulling a small boat trailer (about 1200-1300 pounds).

TerryMSU
    I'd stay away from that 2002. There is no reason the tranny and cat should be shot at only 140K miles. My 2001 Santy AWD is at 100K miles and absolutely trouble free. No tranny issues, no engine issues. Its clean. I'd be worried that unit has been abused. Besides, once the tranny has been changed out, theres no telling what else they messed up.

That 2003 seems way overpriced as well. I'd stick with the low end of blue book in this market. They have to be willing to deal. If not, respond to my message and buy mine so I can get a 2010. :)
    i called Hyundai Consumer Affairs.
    They told me that the extended 10year service warranty that i bought is NOT from Hyundai but from the dealer or some 3rd party.
    So, there is nothing that they can do about it if the dealer does not cancel on time OR gives me a hard time on this matter.

Overall, it seems that Hyundai won't do anything to the dealer as after all they depend on the dealers to sell their vehicles.

In the end, Hyundai and the customer lose in all this hassle.
    Well I ended up getting the 2002 with 140K miles. The trany was a replacement, not a repair. The catalytic converter ended up being two plugged injectors, not the cat. The triler they pulled was a small 4x6 that they used once a year for camping. I got the price down by another $500. I will be putting two new tires on it, as there are two bad ones and the two better ones will be a mis-match issue for new ones. Any recomendations for tires. This is west Michigan with some snow, but also some expected highway miles. I am currently looking at BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A touring. Any experience with these? Any other recomendations?

Thanks,
    TerryMSU
    The BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A were the original OEM's on my 2001 Santa Fe LX. They lasted through 85K miles and still had tread on them. I replaced them with the same. Been very happy.
  • caydencayden Member Posts: 3
    I am looking to lease the 2010 or 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe and wanted to know the types of deals folks have been able to negotiate. I look forward to your feed back!

Cayden
  • mikea11414mikea11414 Member Posts: 33
    About ready to buy a 2011 limited 6 cyl AWD, with every option available for $30, 700 at 0% for 4 years with 10 grand down. Trading in a leased 2009 murano SL with nav/leather 31,000 miles in very good condition. ...buying in NJ, also saving the difference on taxes for new car.Is this a good deal?
    Mine came with Port-installed Mudguards, carpeted Floor Mats, Cargo Tray, Cargo Net, Wheel Locks, and First Aid kit. $20,800 + TTL. Oh, and 3.9% financing with $0 down, for 60 months. I understood that this was due to $1000 Rebate plus additional $500 Rebate for financing with Hyundai. And yes, you can pay off the loan on 4th payment without penalty.

I now have 630 miles on it, and am glad I bought it. The mileage readout has shown as high as 30 mpg on level road at 75 mph.
  • caddywonkuscaddywonkus Member Posts: 1
    I have a few basic questions for anyone owing a Santa Fe for at least a few months. I'm almost certain I'll be buying a 2011 limited, AWD, V6, loaded including navigation. But there are a few things I can't really try out enough to be sure about.

First, cruise control. I had a fully loaded Maxima once. Loved it - except for the cruise control, which would drop the tranny at least 2 gears and nearly redline just going up an overpass or bridge (this was 10+ years ago but it was the one thing I hated in that car, other than it locking me INSIDE once). How smooth is CC on the Santa Fe, on a moderately hilly expressway? I can't tell this from a test drive in South Florida; biggest hill down here is affectionally known as "Mt. Trashmore." (I do intend to take it to territory where AWD makes sense, by the way... unfortunately that's at least 1000+ miles from here).

Second, how good is the voice command on the navigation system? For that matter, does anyone who has it have any complaints about it? I don't mind the extra $ to add it, unless there's a reason I'll find myself punching it.

How is the leaning on tight curves? I'm coming from a small sports car that handles curves so well I can make hard-right turns at almost full speed, with no drift. I know, if I try that with an SUV I'll be doing barrel rolls, but how far have some of you pushed it without paying the price? I expect to be a lot more careful on turns, I just don't want to be paranoid of them.

Long trips... I don't know of any dealer that will let me test drive a car for a 1000-mile weekend road trip. :) How is it on such trips? Do you need a nap and massage, or are you ready to play football?

Finally, how well does everything hold up? I don't just mean mechanically, I've seen plenty of posts saying it's great (and a few saying otherwise, but I'm chalking most of those up to "it happens"). But things like durability of the interior (especially the leather and trim surfaces), do power seats work as well after 3 years with 200+ lbs of meat in them, do the premium Infinity speakers hold up or do they blow out too easy, does the tailgate still hold itself up or do I need to prop it open with my head (like I'm doing now with my current car), does the sunroof still open and close smoothly after doing it 3000 times, etc...? Any "watch out for ____"'s... I would appreciate.

Ah ... and final final. :) Price: I'm looking at ballpark $30 to $32k out the door. Does that seem about right (again, Limited AWD V6 with premium package and a few accessories e.g. remote start)?

Thanks!
  • jayessjayess Member Posts: 59
    I'm considering this vehicle, via email contact with a dealer in the region I am offered one that is "Moonstone Silver with a gray interior. It has floor mats, cargo tray, cargo net , i-pod cable and first aid kit" allegedly the only one in their inventory - 2 locations - though the website shows 6 total. Offer is $22,900 which includes the $500 HMFC which I probably would not use, plus $238.50 docs plus tax. So it would be $23638.50 + plus tax using his numbers. The internet guy says that the MSRP is $27,140.
    With Edmunds and KBB that puts me at $2122 under invoice. Does this sound like a reasonable number ? From what I've seen in these forums it doesn't look like there's much more wiggle room though that could change as the end of the month approaches. Additionally I have an '08 Sonata GLS w/42.5K miles in excellent shape - done all scheduled maintanence - to tradfe though that hasn't entered the discussion yet. What do you experts think?
    There is room to get for less.
    I got "AWD" SE for 23.5k + ttl. with 4% hyundai financing.
    I am 100% sure, i could have got it for at least 23k.

This is in central NJ.
  • eb14eb14 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    2011 AWD limited - $27500 after 1k dealer incentive and $500 financing incentice
    If you see past forums you would see that LTD comes to around 24-25k + ttl.

This is in line with SE's prices.

I have learnt that one MUST shoot for prices less than Honda/Toyota else no point in buying a Hyundai.

Hyundai is good but they (and dealers) know they don't carry same reputation as Honda/Toyota and so are ready to sell for less and they do.
  • 2007ltdpwp2007ltdpwp Member Posts: 11
    are you still looking or did you pull the trigger???
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter would like to talk with someone who recently traded in a Honda or Toyota for a Hyundai, Kia, Ford or Chevy. Please email pr@edmunds.com by Friday, June 3, 2011 with your daytime contact information, the car models involved and a few words about your decision.
    Thanks,
    Jeannine

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    Does anyone have any info on when the 2012 model will be coming out? I thought about buying a 2011, but the design is getting a little shopworn after 5 years. Also, hopefully, the new Santy will have improved mileage. That seems to be a major criticism of the present product. Any info would be apperciated
  • amp2008amp2008 Member Posts: 2
    Caution. 2011 2K miles multiple transmission problems, dealer had trouble fixing, have to wait days for parts. Overall 3+ weeks of transmission problems and lots of parts
  • psgame2kpsgame2k Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

You said you have been experiencing problems with the 2011 Santa Fe. Can you tell us more about it?

When did you purchase the SUV? Was it brand new or used? Which trim is it, 4-cylinder or V6? Was it in an accident?

Thank you for sharing.
  • amp2008amp2008 Member Posts: 2
    Purchased in Feb v4 no accident
  • cashvsleasecashvslease Member Posts: 4
    Hi1 I am kinda new to this. Could someone share there buying experience and the prices they paid for a 2011 Santa fe GLS AWD. ie out the door price.

Thanks
  • rmitcheltreermitcheltree Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2011 hyundai santa fe limited. Was going to wait for the 2012 model to come out but found out the new redesigned body style got pushed back to 2014. So I went ahead and got the 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited, 4cyl, FWD, floor mats, cargo tray, cargo net, ipod cable, MSRP $28,190.00....Paid $23,650.00...$25,000.00 out the door....Traded in 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE and had 1,500 equity. so all in all $23,432.25....3.9% for 60..not bad I don't think.
    I am not sure if anyone in San Francisco Bay Area is interested in buying Santa Fe. Anyway, I want to share my recent experience in a Hyundai dealer with everyone.

Last month, I went to Cammisa Hyundai in Burlingame. I was interested in the 2011 Santa Fe SE, FWD; I also brought in my 2009 car for trade-in.

An Asian saleman at the door greeted me and did a quick test drive on the Santa Fe SE. Overall, he was nice and friendly. After filling out the loan application, we got down to business and talked real numbers.

He gave me a typical car salesman trick -- a number after Hyundai manufacture rebate, but before tax and other fees. When I asked what the selling price was, he went inside an office for few minutes; then he came out with a paper with details of the selling price: MSRP of 2011 Santa Fe SE is $27,300, Cammisa Hyundai selling price is $27,000. WOW! These people must be thinking they are selling Audi, NOT Hyundai.

In the essence of saving time, I wrote down “$26,500 OTD” on the same paper and offered it to him.

Cammisa sales/finance manager (white Italian man) saw my offer and immediately started shouting. Well, before I sat down and talked numbers, this jerk was already shouting at other sales people, like he owns the place. Only this time he shouted at me.

He yelled “are you doing this for fun? you came in here to waste my time. you are in fantasy land I’d sell to you at that price. I want you to take your car and leave, don’t EVER come back again.” These were his exact words. At the time, there were at least half dozen people in the dealership, including the asian salesman.

I had been to many local auto dealerships. Certainly, there have been instances that the salesperson and I could not reach common ground on sell price. Nevertheless, I was never treated this way at a car dealership, except at Cammisa Hyundai in Burlingame.

For sure, I will never go back to Cammisa Hyundai. It is now my lifetime quest to share my experience at Cammisa Hyundai to everyone. If anyone wants to pay MSRP for a Hyundai from Cammisa, I’m sure these people would welcome you with open arms; might even kiss some [non-permissible content removed] if people pay MSRP + $2000 markup for the 2011 Elantra.

Only fools pay MSRP when unemployment rate is 9.1% in America, 12+% in CA.
    :mad:
    Do you mind telling where you bought the Santa Fe?

Sales tax varies in different states. I want to compare dealer price. What was the selling price before any factory rebates, trade-in and tax?

What was wrong with your 2011 Hyundai Sonata SE? It is new design in 2011. Local hyundai dealers charge $1500 markup for Sonata.
    I'm interested in the santa fe SE with FWD. So I never ask about the GLS.

here is some quotes I got from a hyundai dealer (about 45min drive from where I live)

2011 Santa Fe SE All Wheel Drive
    carpeted floor mats, cargo tray, first aid kit, ipod cable, mud guards and remote start system
    Color: Phantom Black Exterior with Cocoa Black Interior
    MSRP is $29,590.00
    Invoice is $28,556.00
    Your price $24,692.00 plus tax and license

2011 Hyundai Santa Fe SE FWD
    Color: Phantom Black Exterior with Cocoa Black Interior
    Options: SE Premium Package, carpeted floor mats, cargo net, composite cargo tray, first aid kit and wheel locks
    MSRP is $30,505.00
    Invoice is $29,386.00
    Your price is $25,965.00 plus tax and license
    I got 1,000 cash back from hyundai, and 1,000 cash back for financing through hyundai.. go to zag.com use that as your guide. pick atleast three dealers in your area and when discussing a price always talk out the door price. never talk the car price because they will make up for it in fees. when you find three dealers in your area go to one of them and make sure you like the vehicle. tell them you want to take the car overnight. if they won't allow it tell them you are walking and I gauranteee they will let you. use email only and let the dealers out bid eachother. when I bought my 2011 sonata se i paid 20,800.00...after 14 months I got 19,700 for my trade. not bad. the reason I traded in my sonata is I wanted an suv. nothing was wrong with the car. had a couple of issues recently with the push button start would not work. while it was getting fixed thanks to the great warranty you get with these cars I was looking at the santa fe's and ended up getting a great deal. I was paying 6.5% interest and by buying a new car could get 3.9...no brainer...get more car for the money since my credit score has gone up. Buying a car for some people is a rough experience. I you want let me know and I will tell you how did get the best deal. good luck to everyone.
    where do you live.. you should be able to get a 2011 santa fe limited fwd with leather and sunroof for minimum 25k out the door.
    oh yeah sorry. i live in virginia..sales tax is low. 3%
    I am in San Francisco, CA. Sale tax is almost 10%. One really wonders why CA still has $10 billion deficit when taxes are so high. I figure tax + all other fees will add about 10% to the selling price of the santa fe. It will be great if I can get 25k OTD on a SE with FWD.

Japanese auto makers have supply shortage. Dealers are selling toyota and hondas close to MSRP.
  • vfrpilotvfrpilot Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2011
    2011 Santa Fe GLS V6
    MSRP 26,425
    Includes Remote Start, Carpet Floor Mats, First Aid Kit, Ipod cable, Cargo Net
    Invoice 25,536
    TMV 25,324

Sales guy was the best guy I've worked with. I needed the car fast and got exactly what we needed. I will be going back to this dealer to purchase another Hyundai in the next couple of weeks unless it turns out I got screwed on an unpublished rebate!

Sales Agreement
    MSRP 26,425
    - 2,500 dealer discount
    = 23,925
    OC CA Tax 1,858.45
    Total Cash Price 25,838.45
    License Fees 275
    Registration/Title 89.00
    CA Tire Fee 8.75
    Subtotal 26,211.20
    - 2,000 rebates (Hyundai Motor Finance and Customer Cash)
    OTD 24,211.20
    Thanks for the info. What are the name and location of your Hyundai dealer?
  • eloyrodeloyrod Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new SE. Had a great buying experience at Allen Hyundai in Laguna Niguel, Ca.

MSRP of vehichle $27,775
    Discount of $2,275.00
    Doc prep $55.00
    Sales tax $1,980.52
    dmv, license, ca tire, etc $304.75
    Rebates of $2,000.00
    Net Price before financing $25,840.27

The overall "discount" on the vehicle was $4,275.00 (2,275 plus 2,000 in rebates) with the only stipulation being that I must finance at least $7,500 with Hyundai Finance. Finance rate is 2.9%. I was told I could pay off my loan balance after I make at least 6 payments without a prepayment penalty.
  • pilot25pilot25 Member Posts: 24
    Does anyone have a dealer recommendation for the NY/NJ Area? Looking for a Santa Fe SE AWD. Thanks~
  • mikea11414mikea11414 Member Posts: 33
    pilot 25...Lester Glenn in Toms River NJ is a great...great dealership...great prices, service and support...well worth the trip...I live in NJ and traveled an hour for their deal.
    avoid brad Benson dealership.

Google for the reviews. I could not believe that i could relate every comment online to my experience.

Avoid NY city dealerships. They have low inventory and lie to an unbelievable level.

I bought awd SE v6 for 23.5k + tax.