Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and Earlier - Hyundai Santa Fe Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• jliedekajliedeka Member Posts: 5
    I just got the pewter 2003 LX AWD 3.5L with moonroof, tow package, rails, cargo tray and 6CD changer for 25,058 in south central Wisconsin. They told me it was $100 under invoice which doesn't exactly jibe with Edmunds' numbers but was a bit lower than TMV.

My local Hyundai dealership is really laid back. No pressure of any kind. I had to tell them I wanted to make a purchase. Everyone there is really nice. They didn't twist my arm over extras.
  • gypsydoggypsydog Member Posts: 4
    I'm quite proud of myself - tell me what you think.

My 2003 Santa Fe is a LX, 3.5 liter engine with leather, sunroof, NO running boards (yeah!!) and a 6-cd changer and it's Artic Blue (which I love, but it IS an unusual color, does anyone else like it but me?)

The sticker price was $24,684 - after some talk, a deal was on the table for $22,400 - when we got up & walked out.... as the door was closing behind me the sales manager said 'Wait, come back, we're not done, how about 20?' when I turned my head & said '20?' and he said yeah... come back.

Long story short, we bought the car for $20,200 plus TT&L!

Now, what about that Artic Blue???
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    Are you sure the dealer didn't mean $100 under MSRP (sticker)?
  • jaybabjaybab Member Posts: 5
    Quick question for all of you. Does the amount of cash you put down influence the selling price? For example: If I decide to put up $5000+ can I try to negotiate a better deal vs. only putting up $1500??? I would think that the dealers would prefer getting as much cash as possible rather than having their finances locked up in banks, but someone out there may know better than I.

Past experiences???

JayBab
  • jliedekajliedeka Member Posts: 5
    Sticker was $26,874. Edmunds shows invoice at $24,918. Dealer's invoice was $240 higher. Final price was $155 less than TMV. Plus $1000 off that. After taxes and registration etc. I'm out the door for $25-something.
  • brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    the amount of money you put down on any vehicle never effects the selling price.. the dealer gets the whole amount whether its all cash from you or a check from a bank.. the dealership stands to make more money off you if you finance the car thru his dealership.. remember when your buying a car always work the numbers from the dealers invoice price, not down off the m.s.r.p. good luck..

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

noddy, looking to help my friend buy a santa fe in the new york, new jersey area. can you tell me how much over the dealers invoice maxon sold you the santa fe for .. exclude all options/rebates? what was maxon's paperwork fee's and any other out the door charges.. i would assume that for $400 over invoice this suv can be had??? thanks for your input...brian

has anyone in the forum bought or called DIFEO hyundai in jersey city n.j. FOR PRICING on the santa fe..has any one in this forum bought a santa fe for $500 or less ABOVE invoice.. excluding the cash back....

• meeeepstermeeeepster Member Posts: 10
    Check out the pricing on www.carsdirect.com In NJ they use Defeo as their dealer and you may get a better price if you go through them. There is no cost involved to get a quote.
    thanks meeepster. i usually get a listing of 20 dealers and email all of them when im ready to by that day.i like to start my email bombarment 3 days before the end of the month...

• 007up007up Member Posts: 5
    Hello & Congrats Gypsydog, on your ‘03 Artic Blue (nice new color )SF 3.5l LX w/roof and you should be very proud for a top shelf SUV for an excellent price of $20.2k My 3 questions is your SF AWD? Was the optional sunroof a Freebe? And where is the dealership regional area (no salesperson name pls. just town, state area) I would like to get a ’03 Hyundai Santa Fe 3.5l LX AWD before the cold /snow season of 2003 ending year. I’ll be surfing through auto-fleets /dealerships websites sometime in Sept ’03 that can offer me an excellent below invoice $price.
    Drive Happy :) & Wise (0v0).
    Thx.
    007up
  • noddynoddy Member Posts: 5
    Brian125,
    I have just seen your post, I paid $23,000 before rebate for my 03 LX 3.5 AWD with no extras. I'm not home at the moment, tonight I will dig out the exact charges (paperwork, L & T , ect)
    i was just reading tru the prevous posts and seen you bought your new ride at maxon in union n.j. boy i had to laugh. in 1984 i went there to buy a grand prix what a bunch of crap they tried to pull back then.. i might of sat in the managers office for a hot 10 minutes before i got up and walked out. did you go tru the internet manger there? i will send him a email to see if he can EARN my buiness..lol anyway thanks and post up on the forum board how much over invoice maxon hyundai sold you a santa fe.. good luck with your new ride...

Brian125,
    I did go through the "Internet Dept" and to be honest it was very easy, it took about 10 emails back and forth and one phone call. Looking at the Edmunds Invoice price I paid $300 under invoice before rebate, they charged me $98 Reg / Title, $18 credit and $190 documentation fee. I hope this helps
  • lexconnerlexconner Member Posts: 25
    Any one had any luck on pricing the 2004s yet. btw they came out with a real nice dark blue..
    noddy, if my numbers are correct your model santa fe's invoice is about $23,330.. how in the world did you get maxon to sell you that vehicle for 300 dollars less than what they pay the manufactor ?..

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The invoice isn't necessarily the ultimate price that the dealer paid for the car. There's holdback for starters, in addition to various incentive payments like dealer cash plus spiffs that consumers never learn of.

Rest assured that the dealer is still making money when a car sells for below invoice.

Steve, Host
    Brian,
    I’m not going to pretend I know how it all works all I can tell you is that I paid $23,000 ($22,000 after rebate) plus they charged me $98.50 Reg / Title, $18 credit , $190 documentation fee, and sales tax on top. I happy I got a good deal and I have no need / gain to lie to you , I figured it had something to do with the new models coming out
    Hi All,
    I've been negotiating with a Dealer on a 03 LX 2WD, Sandstone with dealer installed sunroof for 21,700. I have just learned that the owner of the dealership's wife, drives it as a demo...and it has 6,000 miles on it. The saleman said that they calculate $0.18 per mile, which doesn't sound right....

Can I negotiate a longer warranty? More money off? Any recommendations????

Jay Bab
    The factory warranty should start the day you drive the demo off the lot; that's the way it works with most cars.

Demo price formulas are all over the map. Dealers always seem too proud of their demo vehicles and don't seem to consider them used cars since they've never been titled.

No telling who else drove it (and how) besides the owner's spouse either.

Try searching for "demo" in Any Questions for a Car Dealer? or Real-World Trade-In Values.

Somebody is going to buy it - may as well be you :-)

Steve, Host
  • klh13klh13 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to buy a 2003 SantaFe in the south Florida area, anywhere from Delray to Miami. Anyone know of a dealer from experience?
  • shivelytshivelyt Member Posts: 46
    when I read about all these great deals on cars, I am reminded of the story about the car dealer who advertised he sells all his cars at cost. How, you ask him, can you make any money selling cars at cost? That's easy, he replies, I buy them below cost. Things are seldom what they seem.
  • greg03greg03 Member Posts: 2
    Regarding your deal...any chance that you can scan you receipt to show us? It seems like you go the impossible deal.
  • greg03greg03 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in the NYC area and will buy within a month.
    I'm looking for a '04 2WD GLS, silver, with package 6. I'd ocnsider an 03 if the incentive was right. Anyone else in the area find a good deal? stap123@aol.com
  • jason86jason86 Member Posts: 14
    I'm just outside of Tampa, FL and went to drive a SF this past weekend. Loved the car, and the wife and I plan on purchasing the 2.7L 6-cyl with the only option being the sunroof ($562). The msrp was around $21,80, and within 5 minutes they had it down to 18,900. Then the wife took over (I was ready to leave, but she loves to 'bicker' the price) and she had them down to $17,500, which they said was what they paid for it. They agreed to take off the dealer/paper work fees ($399) and another $559 delivery/prep fee. She told them she wanted it for $16,500, they said no, so we said we were going to another dealership to get some prices (knowing that in reality, $17,500 wasn't bad, but she really wanted it for $17 flat). After reading all of your posts (love the site, wish I had found it sooner) it looks like even $17,500 is a good deal.
    Well, after tons of time spent doing research online and talking to numerous dealers...I signed the papers last night for MY SANTA FE!
    After reading a number of the posts, I have come to the conclusion that the participants here are probably better at negotiating and getting the best deal!
    I ended up getting a Sandstone LX 2WD 3.5L with 3,000 miles on it (demo) in perfect condition and they are also putting in a Sunroof. Final price before T&L was $22,301. Which was about $700 under invoice.

Playing the game just took too long and was kinda annoying, but I think I got a pretty good deal! Still would like feedback for next time down that road. What do you guys think?

Can't wait to pick it up, post a picture on the Owners Board and be able to share Santa Fe stories!

Jay
  • ldpenroseldpenrose Member Posts: 2
    I do not think anyone made a 'bad' deal...a bad deal is one where you did not buy a Santa Fe :)

mine was about the same as most of yours...got the best price off the net (CarsDirect and Edmunds) then went to a dealer made an offer lower than anything I saw on the net and now drive a 2003, 3.5l AWD and it is AWESOME!!! not a word I use lot to describe any car I have had in the last 20 years.

I have only 430 mi on her now but I know this is a relationship which will just get stronger - until my wife takes her anway and keeps her for herself :)
  • doug03doug03 Member Posts: 2
    Can you post the dealers name and phone number you mentioned in your recent discussion. Also, the salesman's name if possible. Sounds like they want to sell Santa Fe(s) at very reasonable prices.
    "You may include the dealership name and city/state where you purchased, but NO direct links to the dealership site. Also, please do not post salespeople names, phone numbers or email contact information."

Otherwise we have problems with shills. Thanks!

Steve, Host
  • jason86jason86 Member Posts: 14
    it's about 45 minutes NW of tampa, Hyundia of New Port Richey on the corner of 19 and 54
  • doug03doug03 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for dealership information. Sorry about the breach of protocol. Error by a novice.
    No biggie - again, it's fine to name the dealer.

Steve, Host
  • aasooneraasooner Member Posts: 1
    I have a dealer in the southwest trying to sell me a 2003 GLS 3.5L 2WD for $19,900. Right on Edmunds TMV - HERE'S THE CATCH: the vehicle is what some dealers are referring to as a Class 2 Hyundai - meaning according to them it got hail damage waiting at port for shipment was 'fixed' by Hyundai and was then resold at auction. Assuming the hail damage is fixed is this a good deal? Only 50 miles on the car but it makes me nervous. What kind of mileage do the 3.5's get we really only thought we wanted a 2.7?? Thanks
  • smoky316smoky316 Member Posts: 1
    I have negotiated online with a dealer for a new 2002 GLS AWD santa fe with some accessories for about 19,000. I am worried though, that this may still be too high considering the model year of the car. Does anybody have any ideas about this. I have not signed the paperwork yet.
    $19,000 for a 2002 model is ridiculous, even if it is new. You can get a 2003 model for the same price as it is the end of the model year and most dealers have a lot of aging inventory to move.

I personally wouldn't pay more than $16,500 for a brand new 2002 model, and that is assuming it is in mint condition and not a dealer program car.

Check out eBay motors and see what new/used Santa Fe vehicles are going for.
  • cadillacjoecadillacjoe Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a new 2003 Hyundai Sante Fe 3.5 LX 2wd with optional sun/moon roof and running boards. Total cost out the door of $22,911.00. I think being the end of the month helped bring the price down $800 below invoice. Called 1st dealership in area for price match and was told they would take a loss to match that price and that when I got their they were going to pad the price. No games played. Showed up today and picked up at exact price quoted over the phone down to the penny. Keffer Hyundai in Charlotte, NC on Independence Blvd.
    Sounds like you got a great deal! Congratulations. I wish I could have waited until the end of the model year to get a great deal, but I didn't want to take the chance that "my" Santa Fe would still be there. It was pretty much a one-of-a-kind on the lot with gold plated trim.
  • pinkyzeppinkyzep Member Posts: 4
    I'm strongly(I don't use that word loosely) considering purchasing a Sante Fe in 2 months. I have a few questions first. I'm not too picky on options in the car. Although I wouldn't mind a leather interior. My first question is that I've decided not to go with a 2004 Sante Fe buy with a 2003. Is the beginning of December or late December a good time to purchase a car at the dealership? The second question is what is woodgrain trim? Third question what's the difference between the LX AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A) and the GLS AWD 4dr SUV (3.5L 6cyl 5A)?
  • cadillacjoecadillacjoe Member Posts: 2
    The last weekend of any month is best. Your best bet is a high volume dealership in your area, as the more cars they sell in a month the larger kickback they receive from Hyundai, which should result in a lower price for you, if your purchase helps put them over the hump for that particular month. Maybe the end of Oct., or Nov. would also be good. You can buy the woodgrain trim as a dealer option like mud guards, bug shield,etc.etc. The LX is the most expensive and comes standard with leather, the GLS comes with cloth and less options. Good Luck!!
    The only problem with waiting until December is there may be less to choose from. The deals get great when the model years changes (end of October) and though they do get better the older the inventory gets, they don't get THAT much better. They won't sell the car at a loss just because it is last year's model.

The Lx trim package keeps you from having to put your vehicle together piecemeal. I think you could save a couple hundred dollars if you got the GLS and just had them add everything on to it, but when it comes time to resell the vehicle you can't call it an 'Lx', but just a GLS with options added on. Personally, I think if you want the goodies, get them up front with the Lx package.

The wood trim is, of course, plastic. The factory 'wood' trim looks sharp though and adds distinction. I put aftermarket trim on mine, and though it is real wood, the way it is put in (adhesive vs. built in OEM) gives it a cheesy look if you put it under the microscope. Fortunately, most anybody that rides in my car doesn't look at the trim very carefully and they are impressed by the look.

Hope this helps your decision!
  • tiaraladytiaralady Member Posts: 5
    I live in Palm Beach county Fl. area, can anyone suggest a good dealer. I am willing to drive to get a great deal. I would like to purchase the GLS 2wd 2.7L in merlot or dark blue.
    Thanks for the help
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    I bought my SF at King Hyundai in Deerfield Beach (Broward Cty). While it was 20 months ago, at the time they gave me the best deal.

Haven't been back as I live ~300 miles north. I wasn't willing to drive that far. Did the deal over the internet and telephone (had the car delivered on a flatbed).
  • tiaraladytiaralady Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the info, I will give them a try. I will be buying in a couple of months and Deerfield is about an hour from me. I would like to try the internet of fax method. Not to sure want to deal w/ salespeople in person.
    Thanks again.
    Sounds like a stupid question, but since this is my first car, I feel I can ask it. Is it important in the lowering of the APR on how much money you put down as well as the finance terms. I'm about a month and half away from getting a Sante Fe. My credit should be pretty solid as well.
  • harry31harry31 Member Posts: 128
    pinkyzep:
            All credit being equal, the APR factor is most influenced by term length. That is, the shorter the loan period, the lower the loan rate.

For instance, PeopleFirst.com is offering the following rates, with no down payment - and a lotta small print.

36-month loan:3.49%
    60-month loan:3.99%
    72-month loan:4.99%
    (on new car/dealer purchase)
    I would like a leather interior, which would categorize the car as an LX. Is it possible to have the leather and sunfoof without all the extra's, like mudguards..etc.
  • mm531mm531 Member Posts: 3
    My wife and I just bought a 2002 SF 2WD GLS model with 8300 miles on it for $15,995. We couldn't get them to dicker much on the SF's price since they had lowered it from their original outrageous price of $18,995. However we did get them to raise the allowance on our trade-in at least a $1000 above what it was really worth. I was worried about the low mileage on the SF, but it is a local trade-in and my wife quizzed the previous owner who said she just didn't "bond" with the Santa Fe and wanted something lower and smaller. She bought a Camry from the Toyota dealership where we bought the SF.
  • skinnyalskinnyal Member Posts: 1
    I reciently purchased a 2003 LX 2wd from a dealer in Durham, NC. Millennium Hyundai, if I can say the name of the dealership. I live in Raleigh, and I started my shopping at a dealership there. It took 3 1/2 hours to get a price, I still wasn't happy with the price so I went to Durham, and they had a price posted on the windshield that was LOWER than the price that took me 3 1/2 hours to get. They call their place an outlet store. Selection was great and the atmosphere was like a small-town coffee shop: Everyone stopped by our table and said hello!

I love my car ( I got blue) The only thing I wish I would have got was a factory installed trailer hitch, which I'll probabally get installed later in the spring.

Happy Motoring fellow Hyundai people!
    I was looking on the Hyundai Website (http://www.hyundaiusa.com/. They showed pitures of cars all souped up. I drove by a Hyundai dealership last night and noticed some cars designed differently than the ones I've seen online. Can you order a car designed in that color from Hyundai or do you have to go somewhere else for it.
    skinnyal,

You don't know it yet, but you saved yourself about $200 by not getting a dealer installed hitch. The dealer charges about $350 for said hitch and install, but you can buy the hardware yourself for about $80 - $100. It bolts right in... no cutting/welding required. The wiring harness is not all that difficult either.

Even if you elect to have someone install the hitch for you, you'll still save over a hundred dollars.