Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Accessories

Comments

• socomfiresocomfire Member Posts: 5
    Speaking of Mazda Credit, got my Tribute a month ago, got the 1000 off for financing through Mazda Credit. What happens if I refinance after 1 month of payments? From this message, I am guessing the dealer gets a raw deal for 1000?

Thanks Jim
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Yes you are correct on the refi in a month. I just did it after 45 days, rates are rising so why should you pay even more (on an interest rate = $) for their sake. Plus Mazda gives you a higher rate so each day you pay more. If mazda was competitive on the rate then they would not put people in this situation or have the higher rate of people paying off their loans quickly. With Chysler I got the financing rebate which was about the same ( in 2004) and they gave me a great rate so I didnt have this issue. I would not worry about if they are going to be "mad" and it effecting service issue--- I highly doubt that will happen.
  • cklckl Member Posts: 3
    We just bought a 2005 Tribute i and went to the dealer to buy a rear cargo cover and they wanted $212.50 for what is a glorified window shade. I couldn't believe it. Does anyone know if the 2005 Ford Escape cargo covers will fit the Tribute? For some reason, the Ford cargo covers are cheaper.
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    I got a quote from mazdastuff.com for $120 shipped !

I ended in our dealer though since I had a $50 gift certificate and a 15% discount, so for me it was cheaper that way.

For the dark flint, the part is:

EF91-68-34XA-66 TONNEAU COVER, DARK FLINT
  • su_a_vesu_a_ve Member Posts: 82
    I'm trying to find info on what the perimeter alarm really is. Is it just a module that plugs in ?

I know the 05's Fords are using PowerCode, but not sure what's being used on the Tributes.

TIA...
  • nicktributenicktribute Member Posts: 5
    Is there a way to add DRL on the Mazda? I just picked up a Tribute-s and was shocked that DRL was not a feature....

Thanks
  • rhouser2rhouser2 Member Posts: 114
    i have the same question. a kit is available from Ford for the escapes----can it be installed on a tribute? anyone know? how about the tribute cabin pollen filter installed on an escape? there is a kit available from ford for automatic headlights for the escapes, can it be installed on a tribute? just how similar,,,or identical are the wiring and other systems of the tribute/escape/mariner?
    Do you know what the kit part number is? I'll stop at the ford dealer tomorrow...
  • ganryu34ganryu34 Member Posts: 17
    Actully, there isn't a need to add it to your car. This is due to the fact that if you leave your lights on and shut the car off after 5 minutes they cut off automatically....the same for leaving a door a jar the interior lights shut off in the same manner. Just leave the lights on and you'd effectively have the same result as DRL. :D
    no i don't. at one time the ford web site had a page for vehicle accessories. i had surfed through that page and found all the items i had mentioned, but i think ford moved those items somewhere else. they weren't real expensive either.
    go to fordgenuineaccessories.com
    DRL part # F6RZ13B218AA $66.95 for 2001 - 2005 model escapes

auto headlamp system
    part # F8AZ13B218AA $79.95 for 2001 - 2003 model escapes.

Would both of these kits fit a 2005 or 2006 tribute?
    Are both parts required?

My tribute does automatically shut off the lights in about 30seconds so I might just stick with that. The car will beep when the key is removed from the ignition and the lights are on but that's ok...
    What does everyone recommend for side step bars? The OEM ones or aftermarket?
    Go with the aftermarket ones. In most cases they are cheaper, depending on the one you choose, and they are relatively easy to install. Thus, it saves you the time and money of the dealer sticking it to you on the labor. Most of the Nerf/Step bars are ordered from the same place you could order yourself. I put mine on myself (05 i model) with no problems and they look very nice. They came with easy to follow instructions and only needed a crosspoint (phillips) screwdriver and a basic socket set. Checkout http://www.autoanything.com/department.aspx?c_id=50172

:)
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,253
    at the very least, that link has a nice opening page. ;)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • 1orcaman1orcaman Member Posts: 1
    The OEM side steps are very easy. Simply remove the rubber plugs from the pre-engineered mounting holes, align the steps, add screws and, tighten.

The splash guards are a little more time consuming since you'll have to jack up and remove the wheel for each one. Remove two existing screws and use them to mount the guards. You will have to drill one additional hole; it's easy and through plastic. On a difficult scale of 1-10, this project is a 2.

Good luck!
    will the OEM 2004 tribute step bars fit the 05? I see the brackets are slightly different...
    Does anyone know of an aftermarket locking gas cap for a 2005 Tribute? I bought one at autozone, but had to take it back because it didn't fit.
    No. 2005 & 2004 have a different design. I have the 05 and looked into that and found that a new set/2005 design would be necessary because of the lower body molding. ;)
  • jason330ijason330i Member Posts: 35
    you can buy an OEM gas cap at:

www.autowebaccessories.com
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    Has anyone seen an aftermarket step ledge (looks more like those on an Explorer) for an '05 or newer Escape? Saw one the other day and it looked great! Much cleaner looking than the standard step bars from Ford ... :)
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Has anyone tried to change out the cargo floor bin from the escape to fit into the Tribute. The escape has the extra cargo space under the floor in the rear. Wonder if it would fit into the tribute exactly as it fits in the escape? Thoughts?
  • geraldogeraldo Member Posts: 1
    I want to add a burl style wood-grain interior to my 2003 Limited. I have found several kits ranging in price from around $160 to $300+ for 35-piece kits. Does anyone have advice on best-buys and types (some are flate, some are molded)? The pictures look great but being a stick-on type kit, do they really look OK? Are they relatively easy to apply correctly or can they be messed up if one is not careful? Do they start to peel off later? I noticed an earlier discussion about adhesives that could damage existing units. I'd appreciate any guidelines/advice from someone who's had experience.

Thanks
  • pawelpawel Member Posts: 4
    Hi
    Does anybody know where to buy a navigation system for Ford Escape, which will replace the factory CD player?

I am still hesitating between the build-in GPS and some standard external GPS.

There is a lot of advantages with build-in GPS. It looks much nicer than the hand held, it is more convenient to use. The draw back is that I can see onlt Hybrid having one, and I am not sure if it is possible to have it on my standard XLT 2006.

If somebody has a Escape with GPS build in, please share the dealer.
    Thank
    Pawel
  • joehyundai1joehyundai1 Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know where i can get, front grille guards and rear bumper guards?
  • stldriverstldriver Member Posts: 3
    I have the Ford NAV with GPS and it is not worth it! Data is often not accurate, the screen is very small, you have to change cd's (they can't just go into the 6 cd changer) and it is missing features that are found on most of the competitors. There has got to be a better aftermarket solution. :(
  • rcinmdrcinmd Member Posts: 139
    I finally found the Fram CA4303 filter at the local WalMart here in Florida. I had not been able to find any at home. I can see why....rough-around-the-edge boxes, and for a Nissan Pulsar and an older Subaru model.
    The installation went easily. As stated on one web blog, there will be some cosmetic 'damage' when popping the four plugs which cover the screws. I was able to minimize that. The filter fit perfectly, albeit upside down in order to secure it, though I doubt that will matter. What surprised me upon removing the box cover was the presence of those winged maple tree seed pods. Amazing how they could get past two barriers. So the filter will keep those out. As suggested, i did spray some disinfectant into the box before putting in the filter.
    Today's task - wash off all the salt and chemicals.
    I actually have used the kits on several of my cars. My wife has a 2005 tribute. My recommendation is stay away from the Sherwood molded brand as they are not quality checked for fit. Nevertheless, flat vs. molder is a person preference that you have to decide. I have had both with good sucess installing them with little effort...it's really very easy, i.e., idiot proof. If you do go and install one in yours, here's where I buy my kits http://www.exoticwooddash.com/MyVehicle.aspx ;)
  • joemazdajoemazda Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2006 Mazda Tribute. I am looking to installa Pioneer system. I am told that i need a installation kit, to properly install the new system. I can't seem to locate this kit.
  • mbd57mbd57 Member Posts: 7
    would it be possible to get the install instructions that you got from crutchfield?

It would be greatly appreciated
  • alewandowskialewandowski Member Posts: 1
    I have just bought a 06'Escape Limited and was surprised there was not light in the Glove Box nor one when you open the engine hood. Does The Mazda Tribute or the new Mercury Mariner have these as options that could be re- fitted to my 06'. :confuse:
  • rpickettrpickett Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if I can disable DRL on a 2002 Escape?
  • alex_o3tributealex_o3tribute Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03-V6 tribute & I was wondering if anyone has done any mods, or if anyone has advise on some performace parts for my tribute? Anyone with cold air intake? or a prformance exhaust? :)
    bought a rear view mirror with autodim/compass/temp to replace our autodim only(i thought) on our '04 escape.
    lost the autolamp feature built into the factory autodim mirror. never knew it was there, since it worked from when we got the vehicle. 2 steps forward, 1 step back. :confuse:
  • dw438dw438 Member Posts: 41
    A good source for filters is oehq.com
    The St. Louis-based company stocks all Motorcraft and
    AC Delco parts. Fast UPS delivery.
    Including those hard-to-find filters for the Escape Hybrid, ESPECIALLY the small, Canadian cigarette pack-sized filter for the rear battery air intake. ;)
  • freddyaudiofreddyaudio Member Posts: 6
    Hi all:

Just wondering if anybody out there has tried to modify the standard single-DIN CD player in their Tributes? I have a 2001 DX with the standard-issue CD player. This past weekend, the CD player quit working completely -- it won't accept new CDs nor will it eject the one that is inside it now. The radio still works...

Since I have a few portable MP3 players (including an iPod Nano), I was wondering if anybody knew of a line-in port on the back of the unit where I could wire up a feed from my MP3 player? Or, are there some wires inside the unit that I could splice into to get a line-in feed? A friend of mine did this with his Toyota CD player and was able to find some leads inside the unit and spliced into those to get a line-in feed. He just ran the cable down underneath the dash to his iPod. I've tried most of the FM transmitters (even some from Monster) but nothing is as good as a line-in feed.

freddy
  • hamstermanhamsterman Member Posts: 6
    I feel it is important to carry an extinguisher in your vehicle, not just for your sake, but for others. In the last 15 years I have had to use it twice. HOWEVER, an UNSECURED fire extinguisher is a GREATER hazard than not carrying one at all!

If you don't have the Cargo Convenience Group, there is an empty panel on your right when you open the rear hatch. A Kidd Auto extinguisher (only 5BC rated) fits in there with plenty of room to spare. There are two quarter-inch holes already drilled in the body (the ones on the vehicle's side, next to the cut-out, near the tail lamp) that can hold the bracket that comes with the extinguisher, as long as you don't mind drilling the plastic bracket to fit the bottom (non-load-bearing) hole. I decided against foam tape there since it would be a shear load during braking.

You'll need two 1/4" x 3/4" pan-head bolts, 2 self-locking nuts, and a washer for the lower bolt. Don't get hex-heads, as a socket won't reach into the bracket. Also, if you back out/take off the self-locking nuts, you'll need new ones.

Before strapping in the extinguisher, test fit it and see if it comes close to rubbing against the side. If so, put a piece of foam (I used one side of double-sticky tape) at that point, THEN strap it in. You don't want to have to take off that strap once it is installed.

The hardest part was getting the bracket's straps around the extinguisher while it was in place. They were a little too short, so I had to nibble the hole in the strap a little bigger, then use pliers to pull on the tab.

For those of you who carry bigger extinguishers (like the 5-40-40 ABC), I suppose you can tie it down to a cargo hook in the cargo area, but you'll need to protect the handle with a box or something. I didn't, and that's how I broke mine in my last car.

Now, finish it off with jumper cables, and a first aid kit in the pocket next to the panel...
  • tommyballytommybally Member Posts: 1
    I'm adding 5% tint to my wife's escape but would still like her to see at night when backing. I would like to install or add some backup lights under the rear bumper. Anyone with any knowlage of how this is done help. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • kg18074kg18074 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to upgrade my '05 Escape stereo to either the Audiouphile 320 watt sytem if it compatable or after market that looks close to OEM. Something maybe double DIN if this fits. I'm looking for AM/FM/CD?MP3/SAT Radio. any suggestions? :confuse:
  • 3screwsloose3screwsloose Member Posts: 116
    Does anyone out there know how to ENable DRLs? Our '06 Mariner Hybrid doesn't have them. We also do not have the headlight auto-on feature. Also, a visual indicator for the back-up sensor system would be helpful - no need to turn down the volume of the sound system. Anybody have experience adding the exterior rear-view mirror glasses with the built-in chevron LEDs? Has anyone tried adding an IPOD to their in-car sound system with the adapter that plugs in? Does it displace the CD changer? We have the system with the NAVI/Hybrid display. I believe it is MP3 compatible. Two last items, door sill protectors and cargo area mats with the lip around the perimeter. Any thoughts there? Thnx from SUNNY Texas - allready been up to 102!
  • disneyfan3disneyfan3 Member Posts: 4
    Just bought a 2006 FEH. It is awesome and i couldn't be happier.

There is however one small concern. i have a small ski boat that i take to a lake 10 miles from my house. The Bayliner website states the boat and trailer weigh 2,500 lbs.

The FEH is rated at 1,000 lbs of towing. So what happens if i try to tow the boat??

Thanks, paul
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    That doesn't sound very promising. You may want to try Ford Escape Hybrid Owners: Problems & Solutions or Ford Escape Hybrid.

tidester, host
  • rknopp1rknopp1 Member Posts: 6
    What was your experience with installing a class II or class III style hitch and wiring harness on a 2005 Escape ?
    Ford quotes me $450 for a class II hitch including installation and an additional $105 for the wiring harness.
    Is this a fair price ?
  • newbridnewbrid Member Posts: 4
    Steps don't seem to be an option on the 06 hybrid. are there any available aftermarket that will bolt on? Is there something unique about the hybrid undercarriage that makes these unavailable?
    I did find rubber plugs (oriented vertically) on the frame, is this where boards bolt on?

Any assistance appreciated, my short wife and shorter child thank you too!

T
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    you can check any local savage (junk) yard and see about getting a set of OEM step bars (black or chome) for about $75 - $150 with all mounting eqiupment. Since the standard escape and the hybrid are the same vehicle I assume you can put the OEM bars on. Hope this helps.

Odie
    Odie's Garage
  • rayoliterayolite Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2006 Escape limited... added the chrome step bars (factory) and would like to add a grill guard that is chrome (or stainless) and tail lamp surrounds that are chrome (or stainless) and can't seem to find any anywhere... I've looked at several places and can find them in black or in chrome/stainless for earlier models.

Any ideas are appreciated!!
    M.
    i bought and intalled a 2 inch under bumper receiver hitch for about $150. took me a while to get good at fishing the bolts through the frame. it is for a bike rack, so i didn't do the wiring.
  • genraleegenralee Member Posts: 1
    A much easier solution is to lower the windows at night when backing up. I found this solution to be good practice for safty when backing up. It provides an added benefit of allowing the driver to hear outside noise as well.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    I got alot of my add-ons from www.waag.com and then installed most myself. I'm partially fond of the rear bumper guard, it matches the front grille guard and taillight guards nicely. If not through them, check either www.jcwhitney.com or www.autoanything.com

Odie
    Odie's Garage