Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Accessories

orlieorlie Member Posts: 12
A minor front-end collision for an unprotected Mazda Tribute looks like it'll cost a pretty penny, especially since the front grille appears to be less than rugged. I've been searching for front grille guards for my Tribute and was told, via e-mail, by Autoaccessory.com that they have a black Go Rhino front grille guard for $400 and matching tail light guards for $140, but looking at Go Rhino's site doesn't tell me if these items will fit nicely. Does anyone know of a source that has something designed for the Tribute SUV?

Comments

• rob128rob128 Member Posts: 2
    Where can I find accessories for the new Ford Escape and can accessories for the tribute be used on the Escape?

Hutchins1@aol.com
  • cirimelecirimele Member Posts: 2
    Try this link for great prices on Escape accessories;

http://www.partscheap.com/forda.htm
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Member Posts: 149
    Thanks for the info. I posted same at the Ford Escape Yahoo Club. I knew they had Honda accessories...but the Ford site must be fairly new...Thanks again. partscheap.com NORT
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You may also want to repost your message in the Mazda Tribute discussion topic. Someone may be able to help you there. Keep in mind that the Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape are still very new, so the brushguards may not be available yet. However, you can most certainly count on them being available in the future. Even the Pontiac Aztek has an aftermarket brushguard afterall! A couple of places you may want to check out include http://www.manik.com , http://www.waag.com , and http://www.autotoys.com

Happy hunting!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • orlieorlie Member Posts: 12
    I checked out http://www.manik.com and it looks like they have these grille/brush guards listed on their site. 'Appreciate the input and I'll repost this info in the Mazda Tribute and/or Ford Escape discussion topic(s) for everyone's information.

- Orlie, NY

You're welcome, Orlie. Hope you manage to find what you want!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • jkno351jkno351 Member Posts: 1
    I did some surfing over the weekend and found this:

http://www.performanceproducts.com/Catalog/RequestCategory.asp?model=ESCAPE

I've never ordered from them, but they have some Escape-specific items such as the Gibson exhaust.

Go to ...www.partscheap.com....click onto FORd and all escape accessories will come up. Genuine Ford Escape aceesories.Good prices...I just ordered the all weather floor mats and cargo mat.
    Reply received from WAAG 02/21/01 re: above subject. 'Thought I'd share this w/ those interested:

"We are currently working on the Mazda products. The front and rear guards, as well as, rear bumper guard are different from the Escape. The side tubes are the only cross over part and we carry those currently. I expect us to be close to completion within four weeks on everything but
    the rear light guards."
    Just a heads up for those looking to use headlight and paint protection kits (i.e. x-pel). I received word from x-pel tech support that they are working on the application design for the Tribute and that the kit(s) should be ready within a month from now.
  • jo_kcmojo_kcmo Member Posts: 1
    I just reserved a Ford Escape that the dealer already had on order. I was feeling pretty good about the deal until an after market rep came to try and sell us a warranty package on the paint finish, interior fabrics, rust protection, undercoating... He said that no, none of these things would be covered under the original warranty. If you bought at the time of purchase $850 for 5yrs...otherwise $1300. Is this BS? We've never had anyone try this in the past. Usually get undercoating thrown in (usually buy GM) Thanks...
  • k9cop1k9cop1 Member Posts: 78
    jo kcmo

All those after market items are a rip off! You have a clearcoat finish (paint), manufacturers rust protection & the fabric protection can be accomplished by 2 cans of scotchgard. Oh, the undercoating is nothing but a can of black paint.
    Now an extended warranty on the parts of the car itself are another matter. This is also a negotiated item. Go to "carbuyingtips.com" for the complete low down. I don't have enough time to explain the whole process.
    Good Luck!
    Dave
  • curreycurrey Member Posts: 144
    I once saw a post, not sure where, for a low price Tribute accessory link from an Alabama Mazda dealer. Anyone know the link? They were all factory accessories, however, the prices were the best I've seen. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • participantparticipant Member Posts: 29
    www.mazdastuff.com is a dealer in Texas that people were referred to on one of the topic sites. Maybe that's it?
  • ratchet98ratchet98 Member Posts: 1
    Over the past couple of months, I have been searching for some performance parts for my Escape. About the only thing I've found so far is a "Gibson Aluminized Swept Side Exhaust." I don't know if it's worth it or not.

Any help anyone can give shall be much appreciated.

By the way, try this site out: http://www.escape-parts.com/. They seem to be new, and don't offer all that much. But I suspect that's because the Escape is very new as well.

• kayakrkayakr Member Posts: 24
    I'm looking for a source to buy an after market bug defector & vent visors for my Escape. Can anyone tell me what is a known reliable source & how the parts fit the Escape? Also, recommend a good full set (front/back/cargo) of rubber or all season mats. Thanks, AR
  • jfmf2817jfmf2817 Member Posts: 2
    They can be ordered from WHITNEY CATALOGUE.JFMF1728
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    For Parts at a pretty good price try ;

Http://www.partscheap.com

they have all the parts from the accessories book at lower prices.

Odie

• axel1997axel1997 Member Posts: 6
    There are many Escape/Tribute parts links, photos, Escape Polls, and personal owners opinions over at Escape-Central.com

http://www.escape-central.com

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Great Pix, here's another posted by one of the members over at Escape-Central.com. I found your edmunds board from some comments that one of your members made on the board over there. Anyone interested in more great Escape pictures, I'd recommend that you check it out over at

http://www.escape-central.com

Hope I'm doing the picture thing right? I don't see a place for pic post instructions. Take care.

Great, I guessed right about the picture thingy! If anyone has any info about modifications for Escapes or any other sites that would show modifications like the pictures at Escape-Central.com or have parts etc like escape-parts.co, please post them. Thanks again!

Axel :)
    I purchased the bugflector II @ Autobarn for $49.99. Easy install (4 screws).
    Dave
    Which is better?
    Dave
  • chipperrrrrchipperrrrr Member Posts: 29
    I recently took a test drive in the new escape. I have recently tested the Highlander and the New Trailblazer. I was very impressed by the escape. the acceleration is fantastic and the cornering ability is the best of the three suv*s that I tested. This would probably be attributable to the fact that it is a smaller SUV than the other two, but its ability still stood out over the other two. The only problem lies in the lower body cladding. I can*t make myself purchase the vehicle with the cladding which I know will not weather over time. It may be good in preventing stone chips and the like. However, the vehicle never looks new due to the inability to fully clean the cladding. As I have seen, people inadvertently getting wax on the cladding are having problems already. Also, how do you think that the cladding will look two years from now. Horrible I predict. I can*t believe that Ford would go to the trouble to produce as nice a vehicle as this one and not offer any option but the plastic cladding. What is the problem with the engineering department at Ford. If I could get a fully painted model such as the ones on the Waag website, this vehicle would definitely be my choice. As for the Tribute, Its amazing that a year after marketing, Mazda still can*t get the product into the dealerships.
  • firstnamefirstname Member Posts: 45
    Does the trick of removing excess wax easily and cleanly!
    I have has cladding on several SUV's with no problems. It is easily cleaned with a damp rag of WD40 and then a coating of Armorall, STP Son of a Gun,Mother's Back to Black, or whatever you use for vinyl appearance.
    The Mazda Tribute upper level model{LX} does have painted bottom cladding area. Mazda only can produce X amount of Tributes as to a greater X amount of Ford Escapes. They are both assembled at the same plant on the same assembly line and Ford controls the ratio. As to availability, I would assume that the Ford/Mazda team did not anticipate such a huge buyers response.Plus, ther were assembly line problems and several recalls and TSB's which held up production in the first several months.
    I have had my 2001 Escape since Nov. 30th, 2000 and other than the fuel smell TSB fix, I have had great results. 24.6 highway,...20.4 city mpg., plenty of power, {200hp}and I can say, without hesitation, the best new vehicle I have ever owned for money.
    As to wax on the cladding, if you use painters masking tape {takes at the most, five minutes to apply before waxing} you will not have wax on the cladding...plus if that is your major concern, it is easily removed with a damp rag of peanut oil.
    Go get it NORT
  • murocflyermurocflyer Member Posts: 20
    Sounds like the ugly cladding is a major concern. I also share your thoughts about the lower body color. Its not very maintenance friendly and is hard to keep "new" looking. My advice to you is to get a Tribute if you like the Escape so much. Similar vehicle, a little more classy looking with painted body cladding.
  • mxmislmxmisl Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001 LX tribby and find the cladding no problem to clean and care for (I believe this cladding is painted).
    I wash it w/ the same Zymol auto cleaner I use on the body, and I've waxed it a couple of times using Zymol wax. I have found the cladding to act no different than the body as far as maintenance.
    Is there something I'm missing ?
    thanks
    The Escape has molded in body cladding & bumpers (unpainted), and keeping those clean and wax-free gets a bit harder than taking care of painted bumpers and cladding. As mentioned in a couple of Yahoo! clubs for the Escape/Tribute, "Back to Black" seems to do the trick with keeping the unpainted cladding & bumpers nice and dark(black).
  • pattym1pattym1 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to replace the stock stereo in my 2001 Tribute with a AM/FM radio, CD, and cassette player. Does anyone know what brands will fit?
    Check out Circuit City or someplace similar. You need Double DIN unit to fit properly.
    Pioneer makes a pretty decent setup, also Alpine and Sony have some nice sets. Good luck on you new stereo when you get.

Odie
    Does anyone know of a source for a speed grille insert for the Tribute? Street Scene Equipment has an application for the Escape, but nobody seems to have this for the Tribute. I've been checking for the past several months and contacted a few manufacturers ... still nothing.

Please share any info you may have. I'll post again about this if/when I find out something new.
  • tonyz2tonyz2 Member Posts: 1
    www.zetaproducts.net sells center armrests for the escape and tribute.
  • drone1225drone1225 Member Posts: 2
    Would someone please verify one way or another whether the 2000 Ford escape cargo cover will fit the 2001 Mazda Tribute?

Thanks.
    Yes, the retractable cargo area cover for the Escape will fit the Tribute. (An owner of both the Escape & Tribute tested this for us a while back.) 'Looking to get that part? I'm sure http://www.partscheap.com has it, but I don't know if their price is that good.
  • gibbousgibbous Member Posts: 2
    Ever since I saw the midnight package on the 02's I have been drooling to put it on my Black 01. The day I first saw one up close, I didn't like the claddings. Just from talking to the parts departments, and reading forum posts online I know it can be done, but what else is there to consider beyond sand to smooth, prime, and paint? What's the best tool to use for sanding?, how smooth should it get?, what's the best primer?, and which paint should you use to prevent (or delay as long as possible) peeling? What paint should you use to match the original color?

Alternatively, can this be done professionally?, or are the parts available from aftermarket sources? (parts departments want around 1000 bucks for them).

Thanks! I so love my Escape. :o)
  • bortz62bortz62 Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my 2002 Midnight XLT with the Mach MP3. I'm an older guy and I won't ever use the MP3 functionality, but I do need to have a cassette player for audiobooks. I would like to swap out the MP3 stereo for a dual mode unit. To maintain the look of the dash, I'd like to stick with a Ford OEM unit and as best as I can tell, the MP3 head unit has the exact same dimensions as the dual mode unit that is in the Escape XLS (as well as the units that I've seen in other Ford Trucks, like the Explorer).

My question:
    Does anyone know if there will be a problem taking a dual mode unit from an XLS and swapping it for the MP3 unit? (When I picked up my car I asked the dealer if he though there would be any XLS buyers who might want to take my MP3 in trade, and he said that the two units weren't compatible - but I'm pretty sure he didn't have any idea what he talking about).

How about swapping it for a dual mode from another Ford Truck? They look exactly the same as the unit in the XLS. I see a bunch of Ford dual mode stereos for sale on Ebay and could pick one up pretty easy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • djlarson77djlarson77 Member Posts: 3
    I'm buying a 2003 Tribute in the next couple of weeks. Anyone have any comments on hauling things on the factory roof rack on the Tribute? Or maybe a suitable after market rack system? In particular I want to be able to tie a 16' canoe to the top. I currently have the Yakima track/Locking Railrider Tower system on my 2001 Ford Ranger (with fib topper). Originally, when I was in the market for an Escape, my existing towers would fit perfectly into the Escape factory tracks. With the Tribute, if I want to use the Yakima system, I'll have to buy either LowRider towers, Q-Towers, or a combination of the two. Or possibly install tracks on the roof of the Tribute, if they fit with the existing rack system.

I know some of this Yakima jargon should be reserved for Yakima technical support employees, but I thought maybe someone out there has been down this road.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you get an extra margin of safety with separate towers myself. I tried some railriders briefly but didn't think they were stout enough. I'd go with the Q-Towers or similar. I hauled a 17' canoe 32,000 miles in '99/'00 with that setup on my van.

Here's a Yak enthusiasts site.

Steve, Host

• djlarson77djlarson77 Member Posts: 3
    I talked with a very helpful Yakima Tech again. She said they have not tested the Tribute for Q-Towers, since the Low Riders (clamp onto factory rack) tested to be fine. Also, Q-towers would only mount near the front doors and you would have to use the Lowrider towers in the back. However, this would give you more spread.

I also inquired about mounting tracks inside of the factory racks (after further review there appears to be room to do this on my Tribute) so I could use the locking Railrider towers I already own. The Yakima tech said you can't just drill and screw anywhere. You would need a map of the Triburte roof or pull the inside apart to find the best place to mount the tracks. This sounded like way too much of a risk and/or hassle so I just ordered the Lowrider towers.

After I get them and tie a canoe down for the first time (probably spring 2003), I will post a message on how well this works.
    Goto this site for some neat stuff...

http://www.autoanything.com

I am personally looking at a full front grille guard and rear taillight covers.

Odie

here's some pics of the stuff I want to get (Front, Rear and Taillight guards)

Now granted they part pictures of the tribute but you'll get the idea.

Http://www.autoanything.com/images/waag_pg/enlarged/Mazda_Tribute-Front01_enlarged.jpg

Http://www.autoanything.com/images/waag_pg/enlarged/Mazda_Tribute-Rear01_enlarged.jpg

Odie

• jeffwingojeffwingo Member Posts: 5
    There are more important things in this life to worry about...I know. But....

Good News and Bad News:
    Good News: You may not have discovered this, but in the center console, there is a bracket designed to hold Kleenex Little Traveler boxes.
    Bad News: Kimberly-Clark has discontinued producing them. (I have not checked to see if the "Juniors" fit.)

You can call Kimberly-Clark (1-800-553-3639) and tell them you own a Tribute and that you'd like them to bring back the "Little Traveler". Maybe the guys in Marketing will re-introduce them.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Not much traffic in here lately - did everyone get their suvs all tricked out and stopped modding them?

Steve, Host
    nah, just don't have the extra money to do all that I want to mine since the new child arrived.

Things to do;
    1. upgrade the 6"x9" and 10" speakers to titanium JBL's
    2. add power amp (550w) for stereo system
    3. add turbo (will involve upgrading the axle's)
    4. add rear dvd E.S. (for daughter of coarse)
    5. upgrading front headlamps to xenon
    6. adding full gaurds (grille, rear, lights)
    as seen here - http://waag.com/showcar/post-gallery.php
    and here - http://waag.com/showroom/1.php

Odie
  • fpdafishfpdafish Member Posts: 20
    I just bought an '03 Tribute ES in Merlot Pearl with a beige leather interior. The top half of the dash is black, and the bottom half is beige. My problem lies in the area of the dash surrounding the radio. Mazda makes a big deal out of this "carbon fiber-look trim" (or as I would call it, silver) as if it were attractive. I don't think it is at all. Especially on the window controls on the doors, the silver looks extremely out of place against the beige. Anyone else agree with me, or am I all alone on this?
  • fpdafishfpdafish Member Posts: 20
    Looking into a wood dash trim kit to cover the silver on the dash and doors. From what I have found, some companies offer a kit that uses a 3M Primerless Acrylic Foam Tape that requires no priming or adhesive promoters (which damage the area applied to). You only have to clean the area to be covered with 3M Prep Solvent (supposedly NOT an adhesive promoter). Other companies offer their kit with the type of 3M tape that requires the 3M adhesive promoter, which like I said will most likely damage the dash. Anyone know of a good kit that uses the primerless tape? Also, if anyone knows which tape adheres better (longer)?
    Did you try Http://www.autoanything.com
    I myself am thinking about the Stainless Steel 16pcs kit for the Escape. ($142.50)

Odie
  • ormandormand Member Posts: 11
    Go to www.autodash.com big selection of choices