Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Accessories

Comments

• fpdafishfpdafish Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the link. I checked out the trim kit for the Tribute and emailed the company to see which type of adhesive their product uses. One big difference I noticed was the price. You said the dash kit for the Escape is $142.50 for a 16 piece kit, while the only kit available for the Tribute is $309.60 for a 9 or 12 piece kit. They're practically the same vehicle. I wonder what gives?
  • fpdafishfpdafish Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the link. You're right about the huge selection. The general installation instructions posted on the site mention the use of the adhesive promoter, which I am trying to avoid. They have about 3 different companies that supply the dash kit for the Tribute, so I am going to email the company to find out if any of the products don't require the use of the adhesive promoter. Thanks again.
  • chimpsnestchimpsnest Member Posts: 27
    Want rubber mats for my 03 trib and I'm wondering if I should go w/the acutal OEM Tribute mats from a dealership or should I look into the Weathertech mats or the Huskys or something besides the Trib ones?

Input appreciated.
    Chimpy
  • phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    I actually just received the OEM mates a few days ago in the mail (ordered them online from Mazda South). They are great! Much better than the aftermarket ones they were replacing. They are perfectly form fitting, and look great in the truck.
  • odie6lodie6l Member Posts: 1,173
    the OEM mats are better because of the fit.

Odie
  • happymisterhappymister Member Posts: 16
    hi,
    i just bought a 03 tribute ES model without the audio package and it has only the CD player.

Is there an aftermarket mp3 player that
    is available for this ?

can the ford escape's mach audio system or some
    such thing be added ?

- Sridhar.
  • chimpsnestchimpsnest Member Posts: 27
    How do the black OEM mats look in a vehicle w/a primarily tan interior?

Right now I have tan rug-mats, but really really want the rubber ones. Thinking of OEM due to fit, but thought they made tan ones, but I guess not.

Just want to know if anybody else out there has the black and how they look.
    Thanks
    Chimpy
  • happymisterhappymister Member Posts: 16
    My 2003 ES awd came with black mats for the cargo area.
    I didn't like the look of the black rubber Mats.

so i ended up buying a set of tan Mats from BJs
    for $20 .. and they are not an exact fit.. but
    not bad in the front driver/passenger seats.
    The rear mats are not good fit at all... but for $20 it is good enough for me... since i only have
    my kid in the car seat behind.. and so no one is going to step on the rear mats much.
  • phaedrysphaedrys Member Posts: 37
    I have the black OEM mats in my Tribute (tan leather interior). It is definitely a different look than the standard brown mats, but I think it looks more rugged. It also gives more definition to the interior by breaking up all of the tan. I had originally purchased tan aftermarket mats for the front and they looked awful. The OEM were definitely the way to go for me.
  • atrickatrick Member Posts: 3
    We got the all-weather mats (as well as the carpet ones) with our '04 Tribute, and I'm just wondering if you're supposed to put the rubber ones on TOP of the carpet ones? Or do you put the rubber ones straight on the floor? Seems like when it gets wet and snowy, the water from the rubber ones will leak down and get the carpet ones wet, so I suppose they shouldn't BOTH be in the car at the same time.
  • monicahuckmonicahuck Member Posts: 2
    I just purchased the base model 2004 Mazda Tribute for our family. We were replacing a 1995 Ford Ranger truck and needed more room, but a vehicle that was economical. My husband loves the SUV, it still had power windows, door locks, mirrors, etc (which was a step up from his old truck). However, he HATES that it doesn't have a center console tall enough for him to put his arm on. When we purchased the SUV the dealership said we could purchase the center console that is similiar to the one in the LX and have it installed for around $150.00. We put this in the contract, etc. and I was supposed to take it to have it put in the following week. The day after we purchased the vehicle they said they no longer make them. Can anyone help me out or tell me where we might get a center console that is tall enough to use as an armrest, has more storage, etc? I've looked all over hte internet. The DX model is a 5 speed, so I don't have lots of room down there. Thanks a lot!
    Ok,
      I need opinions here... My wife wants me to get the Altezza (or "the clear thingy's" - as she calls them) lights for the Escape. I've tried looking all over the web, but can't seem to find any to get prices. I'm not sure how the Escape would look with the Altezza Lights, but any input would be helpful.

Odie
    My Homepage
  • zaimonzaimon Member Posts: 124
    Do they sell Altezza lights for the Tribute?

The update for the 2005 Tribute may come with Altezza lights (going by the 2004 MPV updates). You may want to look that way. When I replaced a smashed broken light on my Tribute it cost about $90, so may be the same for altezza lights?
  • jveneziajvenezia Member Posts: 85
    Try www.crutchfield.com for a replacement. Great company with very knowledgeable staff and wonderful selection. I just checked and they have 110 receivers that fit the vehicle. They also have all the other parts...speakers, wires, amps, the whole works.
  • piper97piper97 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed the Mazda compass/temperature mirror on an '04 Tribute? If so, are the wires pre-installed in the head liner or do you have to run the power and temperature probe wires?
  • orlieorlie Member Posts: 12
    I have an '01 Tribute and purchased the autodimming mirror for an '03 model from www.mazdastuff.com -- I was told that it will fit without a problem, even on a 2001 model. 'Brought it in to a dealer (in NY) and had it installed for $83... 1 hour of their time versus a few hours of mine, well worth the installation fee. Sorry, don't know where all the wiring comes from...
  • sheitsheit Member Posts: 1
    How easy are the mud guards and side step tubes (running boards) to install on my own? I assume someone out there has experience with this. From what my dealer quoted, I'd be saving about $200 if I do it myself. I've heard the side step tubes are easy, but are the mud guards just as easy? Any drilling, or does everything just screw/bolt into preexisting holes?

Thanks in advance...
    I didn't even purchase the nurf bars when I bought mine because of all the dirt / mud / snow / salt they collect. Every time anyone wouyld get in or out you ruin the back of your pant legs.

Odie
  • piper97piper97 Member Posts: 2
    I just installed both the Mazda front and rear mud flaps and a Westin step bar. The front mud flaps require the drilling of two holes(one on each side) Make sure you have the proper size drill bit (its a metric size). You "dry fit" the flaps locating a drill point under the vehicle to retain the rear of the flaps. You then remove the flaps, drill a hole to accept the supplied rubber/plastic nut. Reinstall the flaps, removing the paper strip on the double sided tape and install the screws. The rear flaps use exiting mounting points. The directions are so-so in describing the install.
  • mpv39mpv39 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2004 Tribute and I am looking for a Cargo Security Cover. Cant find one anywhere. Secondly, can you put a tag on the front? dealership said they couldnt do it. thought they were full of crap. but they didnt do it. Any help would be nice.

Every vehicle has to have the available front plate because of State's that require a front license plate (New Jersey to name one) Go to the dealer and tell them you will be moving to a state that requires it, they will have to put one one for you. As for the Rear cargo cover, try either eBay or goto Parts Cheap and just click on the Ford Accessories (I'm assuming the Escape's cover would Fit the Tribute)

Odie
    Found a great Bike carrier if anyone is interested. Kmart has a 4 (FOUR) Bike hitch mount carrier (that leans away to get into hatch) for $90.00. Works great too.

Odie
  • bcas400ebcas400e Member Posts: 1
    hi,

does anyone know where to get a rear bumper step guard for an 04 tribute? Other than the OEM item?

Thanks!

BCA
    did you try
    Http://www.escapestore.com

even though it might be for the escape it should work on the trib.

Odie
    Here's an add-on for those who want to go way Off-Road...lol

http://www.khristopher.com/Canadian-International-Autoshow-2004/F- ord_Escape_with_Snorkel

Odie
  • tdevanetdevane Member Posts: 35
    So I go in for an oil change at a little over 50k miles and of course every time I do this there is some new part I need. This time I'm told that my steering rack needs to be replaced due to a leak. Anyone ever of this needing to be replaced at only 50k miles?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It sounds like you need to quit going to the dealer for your oil changes!

I noticed no one has seen your post over in the problems board yet - you may want to try a discussion search there to see if any other owners have had this issue.

Steve, Host
  • damandaman Member Posts: 1
    I would like my Tribute to have a duel exhaust system or at least LOOK like it has one. Any ideas/experience with this project would be appreciated.
  • dodgedudedodgedude Member Posts: 17
    I have a base '05 Trib and I love it. However, I'm now thinking I should have tried harder to locate one that had cruise control. I've seen the parts on J C Whitney, but how hard is it to install it yourself, or are there many auto shops that will install it for you?
  • mphxazmphxaz Member Posts: 27
    Thought this article would be interesting for those folks that are looking for unique bike racks for their Escape/Tribute .....

http://www.detnews.com/2005/autosconsumer/0501/05/G03-50200.htm
  • mphxazmphxaz Member Posts: 27
    Hi folks! I'm trying to find anyone with a 2005 Tribute with the Auto Dimming Mirror with HomeLink. I need to know if the light on the mirror changes color when you press one of the HomeLink buttons or at least blinks when you press the buttons for use or programming. I just got my Trib in December and ordered the Auto Dimming Mirror with Homelink as part of the purchase agreement. I'm now on the second mirror from the dealer and can't even get past the main programming step of holding the two outside buttons for 20 seconds. Nothing happens. Homelink support says that the green light on the mirror should blink red when it's ready to program. Dealer said today after getting the second mirror that the light got "Brighter" when they held to two outside buttons. Got home and can't get either response. If anyone has this option and can tell me what happens when they program the HomeLink buttons it would be sincerely appreciated. At least then I can tell the dealer what it's supposed to do. I think that they have messed up the wiring somehow. Compass and temp display works fine, just no response from the HomeLink side of things. Thanks!
  • nanas2nanas2 Member Posts: 4
    Good day, does anyone have a half mask on their Tribute? I am curious if it will mess with the finish on the hood? Also does the bug deflector really do anything or is it just cool looking? Thanks, I have never had either of these parts on any car or truck.
  • socomfiresocomfire Member Posts: 5
    Picking up my new Tribute tomorrow, Blue 2WD 6 cyl, moon roof, premium sound. Can't wait to take some long drives in the Country. I have about 80 gigs of MP3s and it's too bad the in-dash CD player doesn't play mp3s and wmas. Now I was looking for solutions, to hook up a my laptop or a ipod or something to the stock stereo and I found this:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piemazpcalp.html

It looks to me that $120 plus shipping, you can then hook up anything, laptop, mp3 player and portable Sat receiver, a playstation portable, what ever.

Has anyone installed this combo, how do you tell if you have 16 or 20 pin CD changer connectors. Has anyone seen any cheaper way of doing this?

If you have done something like this, please share it.

Thanks
    Fire
  • frankh9201frankh9201 Member Posts: 1
    Want to tow a small pop up camper with 3.0 liter engine on 2002 Ford Escape. Ford has a towing package as add on for new car. Has oil cooler and hitch. Want can be done to modifiy an older car to aid in tow a light trailer.
    Thanks,
    Frank H.
  • mikezakmikezak Member Posts: 95
    I have just purchased my first Tribute. I am spoiled by having a Radio with a 'weatherband' that existed in my Subaru Outback. I've looked all over the Internet with searches -- to no avail looking for a car radio that includes a weatherband. Any suggestions???

Thanks.
  • lmnlmn Member Posts: 1
    Odie,

Could you tell me the brand name of the bike carrier?
  • ganryu34ganryu34 Member Posts: 17
    I just bought my 2005 Tribute with the 4 speaker system and wanted to know if anyone has replaced the factory speakers themselves and if so was it difficult? While these are better than average factory sound, there is absolutely no highs, just mids. :confuse:
    I too have a Tribute 'i' with just the 4 speakers....I would like to add some 'tweeters' in the window 'A' post area like the 7 speaker stereo option, and other vehicles that I had.

Does anyone know if the wiring is already done in that 'A' post area (now just covered by a black triangle of plastic)? If so, could I just buy some small tweeter speakers and then hook them up to the wiring that is there -- or would I have to wire 'all the way back' the the stereo, and take out the dash -- which I would not want to do,...I'd would live with what I have now.

Thanks.
  • frustrated7frustrated7 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry I don't have any advice for you, Im running into the same problem. I was hoping you might be willing to forward any suggestions that you might come across......
    Well, I just bought the Polk components (dB's) for the front and back. Nevertheless, there is no pre-existing wiring which caused me to go the route I did (after asking a ton of questions at the local car install shops). Anyway, I ended up going online to Crutchfield and got these for my Tribute (5"1/4"). All of the "how TOs" are included when you make your purchase. And if you go with these or any other component set you will just hookup to the factory wiring harness in the door(s). However, my friend, you will have to carefully choose the position and DRILL a hole for the tweeters. Please measure twice and drill once.

:shades: ">
    Actually, you could checkout http://www.autoanything.com This is were I have found a bunch of stuff (aftermarket) for my Tribute (I bought step tubes). Thus, an Escape should also be listed. As for performance parts...well, I don't think there's a whole lot out there other than the exhaust or maybe some gimick type stuff out there. Good luck. :)
  • herdfanherdfan Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the factory speakers om my '03 Tribute and it was a piece of cake. I got 6"x8" Kenwoods for the front and 6"x8" Infinity Reference for the rear from Crutchfield. I also installed a new Panasonic head unit. The difference is unbelievable. The only problem is you have to remove the door panels which isn't hard, it's just a hassle. Crutchfield supplies adapters that plug into the existing speaker wiring and then to the speakers. It couldn't be easier. Good luck.
  • daniel16daniel16 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 2001 tribute and I just purchased the same mirror you did from mazdastuff.com...and I got a reply from them saying it won't fit. I called the dealer here locally and they said it was no problem as well. I am wondering though if you had pre-existing wires located just above your mirror in your tribute. I was told that to install that auto-dimming mirror they would have to run wires for it. Please help.....thanks alot.
  • buddhabingbuddhabing Member Posts: 1
    I missed the power point on my 01 escape. Bought a new 05 found the place for it on the right side above the subwoofer. Deilled the hole but can't find the wiring harness. Anyone else try this
    FYI -- I had the dealer install a Compass & Ext Temp on my new 2005 Tribute i. However the outside temp consistently reads 7-8 degrees warmer than outside displays I drive by, as well as a digital thermometer I have at home.

I took the car back to the dealer and they said it was between 1-2 degrees and that was normal. Frankly I don't think they spent a lot of time troubleshooting.

Not all the other temperature gauges can be wrong, and the car right!

My questions to the group is:

1) Has anyone else experienced this problem?

2) Can the unit be calebrated, or should I ask for another?

3) Where is the external sensor located for the Compass/Ext Temp /Mirror?

Thanks.
  • j30j30 Member Posts: 30
    I have an 05 Trib with the same mirror and mine is always within a degree or two of all of the road side temps I see. I would want a new one, that thing wasn't cheap!
  • ramzey28ramzey28 Member Posts: 130
    Can I ask how much they charged you to install it?
    Sure,...actually they wanted to charge me $70 to install -- but I told them to "look at the big picture",...I mean, I financed through Mazda Credit, and if I wanted I could pay the amount off in 1 month,...meaning they would be chargedbacked $1000.

I bluntly asked the salesperson,..."Do you want to be charged $1000 or $70?",...when I explained my logic, they said they would install for nothing",...I then applied the same logic with the front bug shield....I know I was not popular, but what could they say????....can't argue with logic. :)
    I did a Troubleshooting 101 course,...

Last night after I returned from the dealer, I got from my house a digital thermometer with external reading capability with a 3 foot wire with a sensor attached. I ran it along side my driver side door and put the readout on my dash.

It showed a 7 degree difference!

I then put the car into the garage for the night.

When I got into the car in the morning and started the car, the temperature readings WERE THE SAME! However within 5 mins. the reading from the compass / ext temp mirror was 6 degrees higher.

I think my analysis shows that the sensor is currently located in a position near some engine heat.

When I told the Service Manager this today, he said "well they always put them in the same spot", but they will look at it again....and they have always solved a problem like this by replacing the sensor unit. I said "ok,...but then explain to me why the reading was the same when the engine was cool?",...He was dumb founded.

What does the sensor look like???? Could I spot it by looking under the hood???

Thanks.