Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV? A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Help Me Select a Wagon

Comments

• jhc003jhc003 Posts: 10
    I don't think the dealer's kids are starving; they just about every dealership in the area. I saw a comment on another forum about the 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. wagon and that it took premium fuel. that was a big concern of mine and when i called the dealer yesterday he said "no, it takes regular unleaded fuel and that's what we've been putting in it." Is this correct? I don't even want a car that requires premium fuel. Is it only the turbos that take premium? What's the story here? I got what I think is a very fair deal on the car even though I feel like I'm giving up my first born and still left w/ a hefty monthly payment. I will pay $365/month for 60 months after trading in a '99 Nissan Altima and putting down $6500k - any interested in running those numbers? thanks
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Don't use refresh - you end up with duplicate posts. Click on "Recent Mesgs" above instead.

Any how, yes, for the turbo especially I would stick with premium fuel.

The Outback 2.5i is the fuel miser, 22/28 on regular fuel, can't complain about that for an AWD wagon with that kind of ground clearance.

-juice
    I don't think the dealer's kids are starving; they just about every dealership in the area. I saw a comment on another forum about the 2005 Subaru Outback 2.5 XT Ltd. wagon and that it took premium fuel. that was a big concern of mine and when i called the dealer yesterday he said "no, it takes regular unleaded fuel and that's what we've been putting in it." Is this correct? I don't even want a car that requires premium fuel. Is it only the turbos that take premium? What's the story here? I got what I think is a very fair deal on the car even though I feel like I'm giving up my first born and still left w/ a hefty monthly payment. I will pay $365/month for 60 months after trading in a '99 Nissan Altima and putting down $6500k - any interested in running those numbers? thanks
    the gas mileage is better on the non-turbo but after driving that 250 hp turbo everything will probably be a let down. i haven't driven the 2.5i so I can't say what it's like. If the dealer said it uses reg unleaded is it going to hurt the car by using that instead of premium?
  • dudleyrdudleyr Posts: 3,469
    23/30 mpg for the Legacy though - that is the real AWD miser. A little less ground clearance, but plenty for any type of roads.
    Yup, I want one!

If you want a turbo and will use 87 octane, at least get the low-boost version in the Forester XT or Baja turbo. The F-XT is actually a bit quicker.

The Legacy has a lot more boost, I'd avoid regular gas entirely.

-juice
  • sdesde Posts: 42
    My wife and I test-drove the Outback 2.5i, and while we liked the car a lot, we particularly liked the relatively high driving position. We were almost ready to just buy the car, when it occurred to us that we might shop around a little first! (This is our first car.)

I know that car-based SUVs offer seat height, but if we want to stay with a wagon, are there are any other options for us besides the Outback? It really does seem to be a unique offering. (We don't want to spend more than $30K, and we'd be very happy to spend less.)

Thanks!
  • This may be way off base depending on your outlook, but you may consider the new-for-'05 Ford FreeStyle. In terms of seat-height, both the new Ford Five Hundred and the FreeStyle offer significantly raised seating platforms and make it a key component of their advertsing.

If you really want to push the envelope, I was really surprised by the Scion xB, which had a really nice seat height, great versatility, fuel economy in the 30s and a price in the mid-teens. Again, possibly way off, but I'm just tryign to consider all the possibilities.

Just to demonstrate that I have no allegiance and that I'm just trying to widen the scope of possibility and consideration, I just purchased a new Chevy Maxx LT and love it.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 11,077
    An Edmunds.com reporter wants your opinion: “What are the coolest cars for soccer moms?” Please email [email protected] with which vehicles you like and why. Please respond by this Monday, 11/8, with “soccer moms” in the subject line.

Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Share your vehicle reviews

• rlgrlg Posts: 12
    The Mazda 6 wagon has a height adjustable drivers seat. There are some nice deals around on 04 leftovers if you're interested in a 2WD car. Subies tend to be expensive compared to most other cars in their class. Thats the premium for AWD I suppose.
    Tall wagons tend to have high-mounted seats. Even the Focus wagon has it. Freestyle, Outback, Five Hundred all have it.

I think even the Avalon sedan has a higher seat point than before.

Then there are car-based SUVs like Forester, Highlander, CR-V, etc.

-juice
  • Well, Ihad to respond though I can't suggest a wagon other than an Outback. I will tell you that I have had my Outback i wagon a little less than two weeks and I love it. I am short and I the drivers seat is just find for me. I also did not want or need the turbo-driven Outback. My Outback i suits me just fine. I like the ground clearance...the updated and very nice interior. I even have heated seats for the first time and have use them on several cold mornings here in the Northeast. My lease just expired on my 2001 Forester, which I loved...however, I am very happy with my purchase of the 2005 Outback. I highly recommend it.
    Try an Audi allroad quattro or a Volvo XC70. Both are also nice.

-juice
  • hilberthilbert Posts: 103
    SDE, what is important to you? I did a lot of research, in fact, too much, and Outback turned out to be the best choice for the price - in terms of reliability, standard options and power. I did care about power and went for 2.5XT. You should get one for upto 27,800 (a $1000 less if you want manual).
    I have had it only for a week so not much experience. But whatever little experience I have, I love the ride, very smooth and refined.
  • sdesde Posts: 42
    Well, my original post was over two weeks ago, and since then, we've pretty much settled on the Honda CR-V (essentially because my wife liked it the best of everything we drove). We also found that the back seat of the Outback was rather cramped when compared to the CR-V.

In the end, she found the compact-SUV class of car to be more to her liking than a wagon (or even the Outback, which purports to be an SUV, but really looks like a wagon, IMHO).

SDE
    Car based SUV's are really just tall wagons. The CRV does have a nice back seat. I wish they just made a Civic wagon though. The CRV uses a lot of fuel (compared to the Civic it is based on) pushing all that air out of the way.
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    The CRV uses a lot of fuel (compared to the Civic it is based on)

The CRV uses the same 2.4L engine found in the Accord, not the the 1.6L engine found in the Civic. That's the main reason fo the poor milage.

Bob
    OK - It gets poor mileage compared to the Accord then, for the same reasons.
    Yeah, Accord gets 26/34 and CR-V is 21/25, both manuals.

But it has more interior space and RT4WD, plus it's geared a lot shorter.

Too bad they don't make an Accord wagon, or bring over a TSX wagon from Europe. Honda has people movers that are very efficient, they just haven't been bringing them here to the US.

-juice
    I would love an Accord wagon or TSX. Especially with that new 2.2 diesel.

Maybe someday they will come here. I won't hold my breath though.

Hopefully gas prices will keep going up, that will help people see the light! : ^ )
  • I just purchased the Lancer Sportback LS(station wagon). I like it. After $2000 rebate the purchase price was 15,200 with the preferred package. Sport model, which includes firmer tuned suspension, sport bucket seats, six speaker stereo and exterior side molding will run you an extra $2000.
    Did you get the 160hp engine?

It was a good idea to add that option, before they had a big gap in power, from the base 120hp Lancer all the way up to the EVO with nothing in between.

-juice
  • I am researching vehicles to replace my 1989 Chevy Caprice (REAL WAGON) with 155,000 original miles on it. If I could buy this car new, I would.

I just test drove an 05 Magnum and posted the results on the Dodge Magnum forum (2005 Magnum Forum, Posts # 870 and 871).

I'm amazed how little is discussed on this site re the Magnum -- anyone considering a wagon, minivan, or small/mid SUV would gain experience and hav fun by including this car in their comparison.

My lady has a '98 Merc Sable wagon with 91,000 miles. I (mostly) like drive that car also (as a distant second choice to my Caprice wagon). We have had wonderful service from this car and posted a report on the Ford Taurus and Mercury Sable (Wagons) forum, post # 303.

Now I'm going to post to the "What Wagon Would You Want Offered" -- well, I can dream, can't I?
    What, unibodies are fake? ;-)

Magnum is a good option, but cargo space is limited and that's why most people look at wagons in the first place.

I bet your Caprice has at least twice the cargo space with the seats in place. Maybe 3-4 times.

Also, I haven't seen a roof rack on them, is there one even optional? People want to carry their bikes and kayaks and stuff.

Sable was replaced by the Ford Freestyle, check that out also. In terms of cargo space it could fit 4 times as much stuff as the Magnum, or a couple of extra kids.

-juice
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,056
    I think any wagon would seem small compared to a Caprice! If you want one that large, probably a Volvo is your best bet. You did mention poor visibility in your post, and for me that would be a big problem in a wagon. One of the big selling points for me with the Mazda6 wagon is its great visibility (a feature I also valued in my previous car, a Subaru Forester). Surely you can find a large wagon that you can also see out of -- VW Passat is the largest that I have driven.

There will be a big difference in preference between folks shopping for the largest wagon they can find, and those who prefer a more compact model. You might cross shop a Volvo or the Ford Freestyle. The Mazda6 would probably seem too small for you.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    V70 is almost full-size, so is the Saab 9-5. Saab has a clever slide-out tray, also.

Compared to those, Magnum seems small in terms of cargo space.

Passat, Legacy, and Mazda6 are good mid-sizers.

-juice
  • rshollandrsholland Posts: 19,788
    CR marked down the Magnum for lack of space and outward visibility. It was not recommended.

Bob
  • suydamsuydam Posts: 4,056
    According to Edmund's categories, the two largest capacity wagons are the Ford Freestyle and the Chrysler Pacifica.
    '14 Buick Encore Convenience
    '17 Chevy Volt Premiere
    Fold the 3rd row seats and they do offer huge cargo holds.

-juice
  • slickdogslickdog Posts: 225
    About 4 years ago my father experienced the same predicament, when the last of 4 GM B-body wagons he owned was starting to put too much money in his mechanic's pocket. I believe it was an '88 Pontiac Safari, with an anemic carbureted V-8, wire-spoke wheel covers that never stayed on properly, shiny aluminum roof rack, and those love-it-or-hate-it wood grain siding decals. It wasn't pretty or fun to drive, but held lots of stuff for a car. I always liked the multi-function tailgate and the pop-up 3rd seat in those cars too.

My father ended up with a Chevy Suburban, because he didn't want to sacrifice any cargo carrying capacity. At that time I think the only wagons available were imports, and he's not an import kind of guy.

As for the Magnum, I like the concept (powerful engine, RWD, good cargo space) but hate the styling. Everyone I know thinks it is either really attractive or really ugly. I've never been in one, but I can also see how that low roofline might hamper visibility.

I just purchased an '04 Mazda6 wagon, but unlike my father, I'm an import kind of guy so I don't really shop domestic models. There were only two vehicles on my list, the Mazda6 and the Legacy/Outback. Most people I know shop for either domestic or imported, not both, so perhaps that is why you aren't seeing many comparisons here between the imported wagons and the Dodge/Chrysler wagons.
This discussion has been closed.