Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1st Generation Toyota 4Runners (84-89)

toy444antoy444an Member Posts: 2
edited July 2014 in Toyota
I created this topic because I read in the other toyota forum that someone was looking for it. I think that it is a good idea to have a separate topic for the first generation toyotas because the scope of these problems is different from the newer 4-Runners.

I made a post in the other Toyota forum #56 and I have since found the problem to be a faulty wire in the fuel pump wire harness under the passenger seat.

The truck I have is a SR5 1987 4x4 2.4L 8 valve 5 speed. It has a new problem now, the truck runs ok and then it shuts off as the engine light comes on. I am in the process of changing the air flow sensor and hope that this is the problem. The truck has 205,000 km.

Are there any of you who have had to change air flow sensors?

What kind of mileage are you getting with these old trucks. I am getting only about 13 mpg highway, I am not sure if this is normal or low because of the problem described above.

toy444an

Comments

• biglatkabiglatka Member Posts: 78
    There must be something wrong with your truck. I have about 150,000 miles on my 1988 SR5 4x4 3.0L V6 5 speed, and I can get about 20mpg highway if I I drive around 65mph. Around town it is 16/17, again driving conservatively. I keep the tires at 35psi and use regular gas.
    Has anyone ever taken off the fiberglass cap on this 4Runner (84-89)? If so, did it leak at all after you put it back on? How easy was the removal and reinstall?
    Thanks
  • spradlikespradlike Member Posts: 1
    HEy there,

I recently purchased a 1987 4runner and the first I did was remove the top. In the manual, it will tell you step-by-step...I believe on or about page 70? Anyways, the top itself weighs no more than a hundred pounds and is pretty light considering the size. It does take two people because of it's size and delicacy. There are seals around the front and side where it connects to the body and should be treated delicately as to not damage the seals. There are 16 bolts and a wire harness and tube for the rear wiper, (if installed). Other than that it is a breeze! Just read the manual for the location of such bolts that need be loosened first. This is (I assume) because of pressure and stress on the top.
    When I put the top back on it rained for a good while and no leaks. So to answer your question, no it does not leak. Unless maybe the seals are wore or torn.
    Good luck and have fun!
    I may try it but the "16 bolts and a wire harness and tube for the rear wiper," are probably going to deter me from doing it. :)

It looks like a good idea if you live in an area where it doesn't rain too much. I know they did sell a convertible soft top for it at one time.

Thanks for the response.
  • bigbrunnerbigbrunner Member Posts: 1
    i have an 85 and i just installed a soft top kit from downeyoffroad.com and it is awesome and before that i removed the hard top dozens of times for off road trips and it never leaked
    Thanks for the info.
  • mugwumpmugwump Member Posts: 1
    After 20 years the glass in my driver's side mirror fell out and broke. I purchased a new one from a local dealer but it is the whole auto adjustable unit. What is the procedure for removing the old assembly and installing the new one? It appears that the unit snaps in over two ball joints but I'm not sure about how I get the pivot lever loose. Does anyone have any experience with this procedure?
  • ta1463ta1463 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,
    I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a 1989 4runner that has a new 3.0 v6 long block (automatic). The only problem I am having is when the engine is cold it has a hesitation when accelerating from the stopped position, sometimes it stalls. Once the engine is warmed up it goes from the stopped postion like it should, no hesitation. Any ideas where to start?
  • dannelsv8dannelsv8 Member Posts: 2
    hey does anyone have any idea about a 3l turbo diesel engine out of a late hilux would fit in my 85 4runner ??? as my 2.4 is dead
  • ed1miked1mik Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 1989 4RUNNER V6 4X4 AND AFTER 7 YRS OF OWNERSHIP, I AM REPLACING THE TOP DUE TO CRACKS. I WENT TO THE DEALERSHIP FOR THE TOP SEALS BUT FOUND OUT THEY ARE DISCONTINUED. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE TO PURCHASE THESE SEALS? I HAVENT TAKEN THE TOP OFF CAUSE I DONT KNOW IF THEY WILL GET DAMAGED IN THE PROCESS.
  • yoda4funyoda4fun Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, I have an 88 v6 with automatic tranny. I want to tow this behind my older Winnebago. The Rv is not my question. the question is can I simply install a tow bar on the 4Runner, or do I need a dolly, or do I need ? ?

thanks in advance to all for your anticipated good thoughts.
    Your owners manual should be able to give you the answer to that. I would think that you shouldn't tow your automatic 4Runner with the rear wheels on the ground. I guess you could disconnect the drive shaft and then be able to tow it 4 wheels down in 2wheel drive.
  • jcbrianjcbrian Member Posts: 1
    I know this is a really old post but I'm having the same problems you mentioned you had before and I was wondering what the solution was.

My car is running lean but getting really bad gas mileage. I too have been averaging about 13 mpg when I hear that 17-18 is typical and up to 24 mpg is possible on the highway in the V6.

By bro seems to think it could be the fuel pump or something related but the thing was still working well when we change the fuel fileter. It may be weak, however/

Any advice woyuld be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jason

"I made a post in the other Toyota forum #56 and I have since found the problem to be a faulty wire in the fuel pump wire harness under the passenger seat.

The truck I have is a SR5 1987 4x4 2.4L 8 valve 5 speed. It has a new problem now, the truck runs ok and then it shuts off as the engine light comes on. I am in the process of changing the air flow sensor and hope that this is the problem. The truck has 205,000 km.

Are there any of you who have had to change air flow sensors?

What kind of mileage are you getting with these old trucks. I am getting only about 13 mpg highway, I am not sure if this is normal or low because of the problem described above"
  • 4runner19864runner1986 Member Posts: 4
    JUst wanted to see if anyone was still monitoring this catagory. I love my 86 and at 290K am thinking about rebuilding with genuine Toyota parts verses a rebuild with who knows what junk inside. Pay more but retain the reliable Toyota quality. Anyone else ready to rebuild?
  • willfullyarmedwillfullyarmed Member Posts: 2
    My truck has 221,000 on it. I get 19-20 in town and on the higway if I keep it 65mph and below. If I go above 65, I usually get 17 mpg.

Heres the kicker. I run 16" OEM wheels from a 2004, and 265/7516 Big O Bigfoot MT's. Super aggressive tread.

I imagine if I went back to the 235/75/15 I would get that 20-24 mpg.

I have disabled all of the tailgate lockouts. All you have to do is remove the frame mounted grounds(white wires). I think its extremely hilarious all the people that have bought new window motors, and this tailgate interface computer thing. I also think its hilarious that people are paying 50-75 bucks for a tailgate window motor, when all the window motors are the same part.
This discussion has been closed.