Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Jeep Owners Meet the Members

13»

Comments

• gilbusgilbus Member Posts: 13
    Hello. My name is Gil. I live in Rockville, Maryland. Being an urban/suburban area, there aren't a lot of trails to go off-road. I was hoping that someone reading this posting would know of a friendly club...or even a small group of Jeep owners that do some casual off-roading (no major rock climbing or mud bathing since my Jeep isn't appropriately equipped). I went to Assateague Beach on the eastern shore and took my Jeep off road for the first time onto the beach. It was great driving in the sand and at the water line.

Anyone know of decent trails in the Rockville, MD area?
  • hansm14hansm14 Member Posts: 16
    My name is Hans and I own a Grand Cherokee Laredo.I'm happy with the Jeep except I did not expect the transmission to go out withh only 62000 miles.I hope someday to attend camp Jeep.I live in Colorado.I like to travel the backcountry in the fall when it is nice and cool and the colors are beautiful.I sometimes go bow hunting.I like the secure feeling of a four wheel drive in the winter.I'd like to find a couple who we can go fourwheelin with.My wife and I love the mountains.
  • santy99santy99 Member Posts: 5
    I'm about to by this car. It's red w/black molding, just like the one in the movie w/Kirt Russell. It's loaded w/leather and power everything including a Premium Sound stereo system w/CD. The owner was very honest and showed me all the maintenance/service records including the recalls for the 97 models, it was all taken care of. However, it looks like this high-maintenance car needs to be on a tight service schedule to keep it reliable. Is this normal for Jeeps? The car looks very clean and the report from Carfax.com came out clean. I've always been a Jeep fun although I've never owned one before. I love this particular model and I actually already put down an offer and we'll be closing the deal soon. However, after all the problems I'm reading about, especially on the 99s and 01s models I'm getting scared. Can anyone with experience with the 97 models give me some advice before making a $10K mistake... Thank you!
  • donb07donb07 Member Posts: 1
    We're Don and Jo An from the San Diego area and we're a three Jeep family. Hers is a 99 Grand Limited (red), mine is a 97 Grand Limited(white) and for off-roading, we have a 90 Cherokee Limited(blue and highly modified). We've had a lot of experiences with our Jeeps over the years (fun and not-so-fun) and have seen most of the problems that can occur with our particular models. The 90 Cherokee is so heavily modified for off-road use, I shouldn't list the mods here in order to save space. We can be contacted at:

donb@nctimes.net
  • kewlrobdkewlrobd Member Posts: 6
    Hi all, I just purchased my 2003 Jeep Wrangler X. Its my first Wrangler and I am so exited. I don't pick it up until Tuesday. I can hardly wait.

My name is Rob and I live about 5 minutes outside New York City. I make often trips to upstate New York where I go hunting and camping in the catskill mountains. My last car was a chevy blazer which was fun on some of the trails but was limited as to which trails I could take. So I decided a Wrangler was for me.

Let me tell you about my Wrangler. Its a 2003 Inca Gold Wrangler X. Equipped with 5 speed Manual transmission, Steering group, convenience group, smokers group, wheel plus group, Full doors, air conditioning, Fog lights, Side Steps, and tow hooks.

I plan on putting up some pictures on my website once I pick her up. In the mean time if there are any motorcycle riders out there I have pictures of my Yamaha V-star on my website. The address is http://www.kewlrobd.com

Right now the entire site is dedicated to my bike but I plan on building a personal site that will eventually link to a site about my Wrangler and one about my V-star.

• 98jettavr698jettavr6 Member Posts: 47
    Proud owner of a '99 Grand Cherokee Limited - my first truck! Wonderful vehicle, no complaints or worries in the first 1,500 miles of ownership, only wish I had bought one sooner.

Over the holidays, my family & I (3 adults, 1 child, 1 teenager) drove from our home in Maryland to upstate NY (Poughkeepsie area) - marvelous ride, everyone was comfortable.

Look forward to being in this forum.
  • imaww2buff2imaww2buff2 Member Posts: 2
    My name is Dan and I live in Peoria Illinois. I am 36. I have a '97 Wrangler, soft top, with a custom made rear bumper, soft top, automatic, 30 inch tires and custom wheels.

It is an auto, inline 6, olive green and has 36K miles on it. I want to post a picture of it on the photo gallery but don't know how. If anyone can tell me how to post an image I will.

Planning on a 2 inch suspension lift soon. :)
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    I replied to your question in the photo gallery. Check out my reply over there.

Also, please come to the Wrangler Message Board here in the Jeep Owners Club and take part in the discussions.

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • andysgirlandysgirl Member Posts: 2
    I'm back! I wrote a year ago in December asking about Wranglers, but have ended up with a 2002 Grand Cherokee, Limited. It is a beautiful vehicle and it feels really good to be driving a Jeep again. I have a slight problem, so I logged onto Edmunds to see if anyone else has the same problem. I found someone in the category of Jeep Grand Cherokee Problems. Hopefully there will be some answers. It is the cold air that blows on the passenger side when the defrost is on. Not a tiny bit--a blast of it. Last ski trip we took, the outside temp was 18*F, making for a less than Comfort Climate! Other than that little problem, I love my Jeep!
  • jeepiejeepie Member Posts: 1
    I own a '90 Jeep Cherokee Limited in original condition. I bought her from a school teacher on Vancouver Island, BC and I call her "Jeepie". She's in mint condition (the Jeep) and I love everything about her but I wish she was a standard.
    I'm experiencing a strange random starting phenomenon which I've described in a note posted in the repair section. If anyone has experienced the same symptoms, I'd like to hear from you.
  • 4or2wheels4or2wheels Member Posts: 1
    I have owned my 94'Jeep Grand Cherokee since I bought it new. This truck has been good to me over the years and although it has relitively low miles(61K) she's starting to show her age. Im looking forward to taking to other jeep owners and swapping info in the future.

See ya

Mitch
  • greenjeepgreenjeep Member Posts: 15
    Hello everyone. I notice there's been no postings since Dec. 03 but I thought I'd introduce myself anyway.

Lisa - Madison, WI
    2004 Electric Lime Green Rubicon 5 speed manual(loaded with all options possible) 31" tires with Rubi-wheels
    nickname: The Frog
    Took possession Easter weekend 2004 (a present from the Easter Bunny).
  • kfleckkfleck Member Posts: 1
    Hello:

ANY HELP WITH THE FOLLOWING WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

I just puchased a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee TSI with 70832 miles on it. It is black with black or VERY dark gray leathers seats. The front drivers side seat cushion is showing wear and I would like to replace just that bottom seat cushion. Does anyone know how to find this item? Where? Does any one know how difficult it is to physically replace it. How do I do it? I'm not very mechanical. Also the right front Infinity Gold speaker makes a vibration when the bass is turned up. Can I purchase a replacement for this? Where? Is it difficult to physically replace? How do I do it?
    ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thank you in advance for your kind consideration.

kfleck
  • jeepfan1jeepfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have recently subscribed to this list. It is nice to know that there are many Jeep fans. I live in Mozambique-- Africa. I own a 98 Jeep Cherokee Country. I rolled over with the car recently and the sides and front end are badly damaged. I am looking for a website that could help me on parts and stuff. I also tried to remove the radiator, got the water pipes loose, but could remove the oil pipes that lead to the gearbox. Does any one have any ideas? I really miss this baby and would like to have it run.

All the best.
  • lynseylynsey Member Posts: 3
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is Lynsey. I am a first time Jeep owner and loving it. A month ago today I bought my 00 Jeep. I live in the state of Maine and we get our fair share of snow, the Jeep has been great! :)
  • carlescarles Member Posts: 1
    Hey there Iam an avid jeep lover and have had a few in the past but i recently upgraded to a 98 jgc ltd. The problem I have is the stock transmission is on its last legs and with the engine mods I know that a new one won't hold up so my question is dose anyone know of any aftermarket tranys for the 318 or any other solutions for my problem. Thanks
  • nmertznmertz Member Posts: 27
    Not currently a Jeep owner (pre-Chrysler years). Used to drive a J-10 truck, Comanche truck, a Grand Wagoneer, and a small (XJ?) Wagoneer. Haven't owned a Jeep since (1) they quit making pickups, and (2) Chrysler took over and started building "yuppie" toys. If and when they start production of the Gladiator concept truck I will be back in a Jeep as soon as I can order one.
  • joejeep1joejeep1 Member Posts: 1
    hi i have an 1987 jeep wrangler with a 6cyl. 4.2 wanted to know if any one could tell me how hard it would to put in an v8.
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Peeps, this discussion is seldom used, as you can tell. If you have questions related to Jeep Wranglers, come to the discussion "Jeep Wrangler." There's lots of activity in there, and there are some pretty knowledgeable people there.

Will see ya there.

Tom
  • rivermo22rivermo22 Member Posts: 8
    I have recently had problems with my 2004 TJ, after driving at higher speeds (45 +) if a bump was hit my steering wheel and front wheels would shake uncontrolably. After many trips to having the tires and wheels rotated and balanced I finally went to my Jeep dealership. The dealership replaced the steering damper and the problem still occured. The dealership stated my custom wheels were to aggressive, I deceided to remove the aftermarket wheels and replace with the factory wheels. The problem still occured, after another trip to the dealership and 3 days later they finally have come to the conclusion that I have a bad gearbox.

What is a gear box and does this sound like something that could happen?

Thanks
  • aris03aris03 Member Posts: 1
    Hey Everyone,
    I was looking for some advice on what car I should purchase. The two options are 1. a '97 White Grand Cherokee Limited with 103k miles and all options link title or 2. a Black '00 Cherokee Limited with 103k miles seen here link title which i actually talked the guy down to $6,000 for. I am a college student living in Pittsburgh and drive home on the turnpike about 240 miles back home every 3 weeks or so. I was just wondering what in your opinion the better car for me would be in terms of ride quality and mechanical reliability, etc. Does anyone have experience driving with these cars on a long term level?
    If so, I would really appreciate your advice.
    Thanks in advance,
    -Aris
  • jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I would go with the 2000 Cherokee. Both are great vehicles your looking at and I own a 98 GC 4x4 I-6 with 98K miles and luv it. I also owned a 96 cherokee and drove it until it had 250K which had the I-6 engine and was a terrific vehicle no problems. My wife purchased a 2003 GC v-8 and that engine gave us more trouble it was always in the shop for some sort of engine problem and she sold it. IMO and from experience the I-6 is the more reliable engine and has a little better fuel economy compared to the v-8. Also, the 2000 is a newer vehicle so even though it has 103K its still a 3 year newer car with more recent safety features. Its also a limited and has a towing package, upgraded stereo with cassett and 6 disc changer, 4x4 etc. Either vehicle should serve you well its just the I-6 will most likely be more problem free than the V-8 imo of course and again the age factor plus the price $6K is great for a limited 4x4 cherokee in my area. Get your front windows tinted and a 2" BB lift and that cherokee will be lookin tuff. Good luck on your choice.........
  • markl37markl37 Member Posts: 1
    hi guys , we have recently moved to America from England and we bought a 98 grand cherokee laredo and i am trying to locate a 10 disc cd changer , i was a little alarmed when i checked out the price at the local chrysler dealer some $475 does anyone know where else i might puchase one, all input would be useful.

thanks all Mark

p.s the jeep is an awesome all round vehicle i think we chose well
  • myboybluemyboyblue Member Posts: 56
    Try Ebay, they have everythin.
  • nevrbinofrowdnevrbinofrowd Member Posts: 1
    hello, i thought that i might join a forum here that has info on the jeep liberty that i just bought today,my name is steve and i haven't even taken possesion of my new truck yet but my wife and i love it! we got a 2004 liberty with all the bells and whistles, exept for the tow package (which i still want) and no sunroof (which i don't want) it has 37,000 kms on it (i am from canada) i love the stance of the truck and the interior is real nice too. what i wanted to know from all you liberty owners is, what if anything, have you had to deal with as far as "big" problems. i did a search on the web of recalls that jeep had and found only a few that would have had to be done at some point on the older models but maybe corrected on the newer ones during production . if you own a 2004 i'd appreciate knowing what warrenty issues to look out for and recalls to deal with. :D
  • sharbroilsharbroil Member Posts: 2
    Hi I just joined the club and want to say that I recently bought a 2003 Limited and am loving it. Before buying the liberty I owned a 92 Jeep Cherokee and enjoyed it as well. But it was starting to nickel. and dime me, so it was time to move on.
    I hope all jeep liberty owners love thiers as much as I do.
  • dub3dub3 Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem - traveling at 60+ mph, the shaking would tend to start going around gradual curves, and only subside when I dropped below 40 or so. The de4alership replaced what I believe they called stabilizer bars which were kind of s-shaped pieces of metal attached to the suspension somewhere. It was a cheap fix.
  • willybumpwillybump Member Posts: 2
    Hi All,
    I just came across your web site, looks interesting.Thought I would join in.
    Name: Banko, 63 yrs. matured, (not old), married, 2 sons, 3 grankids, live in Newport, Pa.
    I have a '98 Sahara, 6 cyl. Auto, 4 X 4, green, full metal doors,spice soft top, black hard top, KC lites ( 2 ) mounted on side of windshield, 30 in. Coopers, American Racing wheels, Gibson ehaust, tube bumpers and side step, stock cd player/radio.
    Also have bikini top, trail cover, tonneau cover and 2 piece doors. Enjoy driving with the doors off.
    Project Willys is 48 CJ3A, Chevy 327 cu.in. eng., rock crusher tranny, 31x10.5x15" tires on white spoke wheels, I am in process of dis-assembly for cleaning, blasting and reworking of all, frame, body, engine rebuild, etc, I just might have some questions for anyone who might be able to answer. Thanks much. Banko.
  • jeepthingjeepthing Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with the Wangler (I'm 6' 3"), I have a '78 Ren that has plenty of room, I also fit in the Liberty and the '05 CL I own. The Renegade has a very similar body style as the Wrangler but this one only has the front row of seats - jamin the second seat in the Wrangler makes them mount the seat too far farward (my option). Jeep does have the longer version of the Wrangler that may have more leg room.
  • lunghdlunghd Member Posts: 61
    Hello to all! Another Cherokee owner here!

To address a specific question asked above by rivermo22: You have what is commonly called 'death-wobble' and is usually brought on when a lifted XJ's bushings & suspension driveline angles have enough slop in them that they can't keep things properly aligned once the wobble starts. As you've found out - you basically have to screech to a near halt to regain control of the Cherokee when this happens. This can also happen to stock / un-lifted XJ's!

While your wheels may have contributed to the problem showing up they were very likely not the cause! (They're not selling aftermarket items, they're in the business of selling you OEM replacement parts.)

Since some countries refer to different parts with different terms we need to clarify something:
    If they're trying to sell you a transmission (gear-box) then tell them to stick it in their ear.
    If they're trying to sell you a steering box then that COULD be a PART of the problem... but not likely the root cause.

To all here: I've been an XJ owner for several years now & I have learned a great deal about these great vehicles at JeepsUnlimited & the NAXJA Jeep XJ forums (just google for those). You can search the topic threads there for more details on most any problem and there are plenty of people there who are willing to help.

If I can help any of you I'll gladly do so - you can post back here or to my email form on my website dedicated to the Jeep Cherokee XJ's Another Freakin' Jeep Cherokee Website
    I deal primarily with the RENIX motored XJ's but will gladly point you in the right direction if I cannot answer your question.
  • jonnyvjonnyv Member Posts: 4
    I'm curious what everyone is thinking or what personal feelings they have toward their vehicles. I simply enjoy the freedom to just get up and go anywhere. I love the outdoors and having a Jeep reminds me the first time I rode my mountain bike in the early nineties. Getting out and connecting with nature in this way is a whole new ball game. I am seeing nature from another perspective.
  • pahefner01pahefner01 Member Posts: 202
    There are several reasons I like my 99 Cherokee. The short turning radius is fantastic and makes the vehicle very easy to park. I also like the 4.0 inline six when I see people have put over 200,000 miles on it. I like the view from sitting higher up. Obviously you know that even Jeeps can't go everywhere and it is always wise to check ahead on foot before trying high mountain passes. We went to do Schofield Pass in a rental XJ and after walking down the pass and back up we determined that the stock CJ just wouldn't do it. We would have needed lockers, a lift kit and some more agressive tires to even attempt it.
    I love my Jeep like you but to all Jeep owners there are many Jeeps that when pushed beyond their limits suffered rollovers or worse. Someone in a new Rubicon went over the edge of Black Bear Pass and killed the owners.
    The bottom line is, Love your Jeep but be careful.
  • 05jeepman05jeepman Member Posts: 12
    My name is William. We have an 05 JGC Laredo, 4.7, 5 speed with 2wd. I like the Jeep very much, and so far have had no problems with it. Just wanted to say hi, and also say this site is very informative, I've been lurking and figured out I like it very much here. Hopefully, most of my post will be to help, instead of asking. Thanks for having me, and I'll see ya all on the boards. :)
This discussion has been closed.