Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

MB 190 E 2.3L - hard to start when engine is warm

artoo1artoo1 Member Posts: 2
edited April 2014 in Mercedes-Benz
My 1987 MB 190E 2.3L is hard to start when the engine is warm. I crank it for 15 to 20 seconds and then slowly, cylinder by cylinder it starts.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what the problem is and how to fix it? Many Thanks!

artoo1

Comments

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    It could be a gazillion things, really. Most obvious would be tune-up, after that see if the enrichment function (for cold starting) is still working on a hot engine...another area if miles are high would be to do a valve adjustment and compression test.
  • artoo1artoo1 Member Posts: 2
    I'll look into the cold start valve. That could be the problem. The car just have a valve job and the compression is good. Thanks for your tip.

artoo1
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    Okay, let us know!I'll keep thinking!
  • mbzvtmbzvt Member Posts: 5
    Hi Artoo,
    I am a Mercedes dealer tech. The most common
    cause of your complaint are injectors that leak
    rest pressure.(the injectors still have fuel under
    pressure in them when the engine is shut off. If the injectors are worn,they will leak this pressure, which is known as rest pressure.The only
    way to know for sure is to remove them and manually test them with a special device that only
    dealers and some independants have.) The other
    possible rest pressure leaks are the fuel pump
    check valve,the fuel pressure accumulator,and
    possibly the cold start valve,though a leaky cold
    start valve is rare. Try these possibilities and
    you'll most likely fix your problem.
This discussion has been closed.