Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    yeah, my bruddah in law has a black one and he still hasn't offered me a test drive. Seems to think it's old news and has his sights on the SL600.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I got my riot helmet and shield left by a cop from College Park Monday night, and a nice pepper spray pellet shooter, so bring it on you flamers!!!
    gonna go out on the town in your new garb?
    I'll just wear it to MAPP III... LOL
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Can you use the riot helmet for autocross? :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Where have you been all day?? It's been a little too quiet... :)
    good question! let me ask them!
    All thanks to Pat scaring everyone away!!! >:(
    Okay, make sure the nearby floors are well-padded, because I don't want you to hurt yourselves. You're about to fall off your chairs.

Hank...I was just checking out the Midwest Something Something Club of Sports Cars Something website...they offer autocross lessons, as well as wheel-to-wheel. But it says that your car has to have a competition seat belt, and all other kinds of accessories. You don't have that stuff, right?

I know it seems odd that the girl who can barely drive through the car wash without creating a disaster would even consider this, but ever since you mentioned the whole autocross thing, I've been a little interested.

Okay, wiseguys, you can pick yourselves up now. :)

--Dale
    You should do it Dale. Anyone can benefit from driving lessons and learning how to CONTROL your car. Go For It!
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    what site was that? I'm not in the same area as you so I may not have the lesson. Every since my wife told me she won't let me get a motorcycle I'm leaning towards autocrossing.
    I edited that last one and it still doesn't make sense...time to go home.
    Malt: Thanks for the vote of confidence, and for not laughing...that's actually kind of why I was thinking about it. As you probably already know, I've only been driving a year...think I still have a lot to learn.

Shrique: Here's the site (Midwestern Council of Sports Car Clubs): http://www.execpc.com/~mcscc/

I just entered 'autocross' into yahoo's search engine and picked the first one that looked like it might be in my area. Haven't done an extensive search yet.

Why would I laugh? Seriously, I think it's super cool that you're interested! I think you should go for it! Competition seat belt? What the crap is that? Prolly just have to get a "Type-R" seat belt cover and throw that over an existing one...LOL
    my car doesn't have racing seatbelt(those 4-point racing harness I assume), I'm running in stock class, meaning I can't have any of that kind of stuff installed on my car.

Sounds like that club is a bit more advanced than you should be right now.

Look around/search around more and see if you can find some good driving lessons, not just in autocrossing, but on a track(gasp!)

You should ask that question in Protegeclub forum, there's TONS of autocrossers in that forum :)
    Seriously, thanks for the info...I'll keep researching it...this sounds more like a summer project for me.
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    the c***c was barely mentioned. What kind of fun is that :)

Black is my favorite color, followed by silver, red or white depending on the car, then misc colors. Black can make any car look good. It's hard to keep clean but it's sooo worth it when it is clean.
    We just wanted to set it up so you could be post 11100. If you can type C***C, can I type R**E?
    hmmmm....I'm honestly sorry you feel that you aren't getting any useful information about your car here. True, we do get off-topic. But as I (and others here) have said before, we always steer back to the topic of Proteges. I think events of this very week have proven that we are more than willing to help out newcomers who have questions.

And we've had other lurkers in the not-so-distant past chime in with their appreciation of our posts, both on-topic and off. So now I'm wondering, Fritz, and I'm not saying this to be snotty...who's in the majority? The disgruntled folks, or the satisfied folks?

I asked this question a week ago: any other lurkers care to comment on the usefulness of this board with respect to their past, present, or future Proteges?
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Firts let me congratulate myself on running the tally to 11.000.

Dude, what do you mean no useful info? Ask ANYTHING PRO-related: we'll have the answer in a few hours.

Dinu
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    Did anyone in here purchase gap insurance with their Proteges?
    No gap insurance for me.
    Can't have them all, but you can have an SI, so it's not that bad.

Dinu
    Chrysler Sebring this evening and guess what? The PRO won. 2.0 auto and all.

The Sebring had 3 peoople in (aka: 3 bozos with hats on backwards shaking their heads to the beats of their fav tunes). Came to a light next to them and they started looking while shaking their heads. We mutually agreed in a matter of seconds to Go! Go! Go!, by pointing to the road ahead. Well, it was on and until 100 the PRO stood in front with about 1-2 car lenghts ahead. We were coming up to an intersection, so I braked, slowed down to 80 and proceeded through the intersection at 70. They just kept going. I think I won since I stopped racing as it became unsafe to continue. The road was empty with no traffic (yet) < that's my #1 reason for actually agreeing to it in the first place.

Moral of the story? That spoiler significantly improved my downforce and helped the PRO defeat good old Detroit once again. (I guess that's one way to justify an extra $500 pymt)

Commentary of the story: racing is dumb and dangerous. I do not encourage it or participate in it, except when pushed by stupid people and when the roads are clear.

Dinu
    I also took off the dribble an Astro van, but I don't think that counts :)

Interesting part of the story: I'm talking kms/h, not mph!
    Probably an 01. Couldn't tell if it was 4 or 6 since I was ahead of them, remember? And I didn't even bother looking when they passed me (had to watch for traffic).

Those 3 black cars were amazing. Clean, but they could pull. I was just kidding about the spoiler. It is after all an extra payment on the PRO.
    Get a spoiler. It helps you park backwards. Oterwise I find it difficult to see where the car really ends.

Dinu
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    ...the talk is (usually) friendly.

But we have been on a few tangent (and plain old hyperbolic) paths of late. :)

Actually, I'm with Dale. Any recommendations on good driving schools around the midwest? The kind that teaches threshold braking, emergency maneuvers on wet, loose surfaces etc. Track racing might be interesting, but I'm more interested in defensive/handling at the limit type driving...y'know where you learn with an instructor at first in a training car, but you get to hone the skills in your own car so you become intimate with its abilities (not that I doubt them, I've just never taken it there).

Edmunds does have a few articles on some training schools. Most seem to be the track-racing type.
    ...I wouldn't mind learning track racing either. Hmm, can a spin-out 180-degree turn be accomplished with a FWD vehicle? On purpose, that is. :)
    I was challenged to my first race last night. Some guy in an angry bumblebee sounding CRX pulled up next to me at a light and proceeded to rev his engine. Boy i showed him in my new MP5. In other words I let him take off like a dork. (chuckle) That road has WAY too many copys hiding on it.
    oh yeah. usually it's either in reverse or with a liberal use of the e-brake. Personally I only attempt it in the snow. (GRIN) Although gravel can be good too.

Personally I yearn for the days of RWD cars that didn't cost $50k. I just love fish-tailing down a snowy road or in a parking lot. It's so much more fun than spinning the front wheels.

Hey checkout that post number! I like that one better than 10000!
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I do the same thing when people want to race. I'll even give them a little look, like I'm all ready to floor it, then bam, nothing. I just let them take off.....the looks I get at the next light are priceless.....
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    didn't get. Had enough to put down in order to avoid getting upside down.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Didn't get it on the Protege. Did on the VW though.
    I have an '01 LX 2.0, 5 speed manual. I also live in Canada and we had temps down around -30 C (-22 F) this winter. I have never had the rattling sound that the others were having. If I'm not mistaken, somebody recorded an MP3 file of the rattling sound didn't they. It sounded brutal.

So really, I can't answer any of your other questions. Is there a TSB out for this yet?
    I have this "problem". I, too, got the impression that it is common, but that doesn't mean it ins't a problem. However, I also got the impression that it isn't damaging to the car. Last I heard, a fix is on the way. Don't have any of the technical details, sorry.

My car shifts slowly on cold mornings too, but that's just 'cause I'm tired, cold, and grumpy. ;-)
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Off topic banter/discussion is permissible in Protege Owners: Meet the Members and Protege Owners: Protege Posse. However, the same Member Agreement applies there as it does through out the Town Hall.

Mazda Protege Owners Club

KarenS

Senior Host

Owners Clubs
    Methinks this lively group needs an outlet for this type of activity. :)
    Actually, when it's really cold, my shifter is physically hard to move. I've heard that swithcing the tranny fluid can help lots...but that has nothing to do with the engine rattle...just thought I'd mention b/c we were talking about "cold."
    My shifter is harder to move when cold. This is typical for your average manual. I wouldn't say that mine is hard to move, though, just harder than when warm.
    Yep same here. Engine revs higher and then loosens up within 2-3 minutes. During that time the auto shifts harsher and takes longer than usual.

Didn't bring it to the dealer since it warms up very fast and it all dissapears, plus I'm not free when the dealers are open. I basically live after 10pm, when most stores are closed (except the great 24/7 one).

Dinu
    Yeah, it still moves...just harder...almost sluggish. Also, getting into some gears (ie. into second or first) is a lot harder when cold.
    If you took it to the dealer, I'd bet they'd just tell you its normal behavior. From what I can tell as you describe it, they'd be right. Well, except apparently for this rattling business some of us have experienced.

Of course I've been told several times by several service managers that various strange behaviors from my cars were "normal", when in fact they werent at all. Makes me wonder if they were lazy, incompetent, or a mix of both. That's a different story, though. One that has driven me away from my trend of buying domestics.
    I don't get an actuall rattling sound but I do notice a hesitation and lack of power when I start cold. When the engine warms up or get's past a certain RPM it's almost like the power "pops" free and then it acts just like normal. It's odd. Someone menioned that a TSB is on the way and I was waiting for that ti appear before I take it in.
    That would be helpful. Of course we'd have to wait until next winter to "duplicate" the problem for them.

I have noticed a small rattle where the metalic-looking trim meets the black trim at the bottom of the dash, near the "Fresk Air/Recirculate" button. It goes away as it warms up, but it wasn't there 2 weeks ago. Maybe the potholes have something to do with that too and my excessive mileage.

Dinu
    "hesitation and lack of power when I start cold"

That's it! First to second gear changes take longe and it revs to almost 3.000, whereas I usually let it change at 2.500-2.700RMs. Auto tranny: can't do much.

Dinu
  • dkladkla Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the initial feedback. I'm just very curious about this, mostly because I (and most of you) treated this as just standard operating procedure for the car. I mean, *most* cars I know behave a little wacky until they warm up, some more than others. I was comfortable just writing it off as something common to small engine econoboxes (even one as great as my Pro).

However, the fact that others on the web were able to go into great detail about problems with the ECU on this issue (including reported discussions with dealers who knew about this) surprised me. Again, perhaps they're all talking out their bumper but it does explain quite a bit.

Break-break, separate issue, my shifter does act funny before it's warmed up as well, and I can't figure out why. I mean, sure, the engine revs a little hard, and thus the actual changing gears might be a little rough (and possibly related to the above problem). But in this case, the actual hand-on-shifter-moving-through-gates gets a bit hard. It's almost like there's no lubrication in the gates. I don't know if there actually is any lube there, but after the car warms up, the shifter feels a lot more buttery instead of when cold, when I have to concentrate on making the gate or else it feels like it scrapes against the gates a bit. Again, it's not a problem once it warms up, so I write it off as common behavior, although I profess to being totally ignorant whether it's normal for a car to behave that way.

Cheers,
    DK
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    When you start your engine on a cold morning, it's got a belly full of thick, cold oil...in the engine and in the tranny. It's not suprising to me then that it's "reflexes" are a bit slow until it warms things up a bit.

I don't have the rattle btw, even up here in chilly Vermont.
    Like I said, I've heard that changing to a better tranny fluid is supposed to help immensely.

Dinu: Not sure of your rattle...sounds kinda strange. Are you sure it's coming from that particular location? Reason I ask is that I have (had??) a rattle that came and went. I haven't heard it in quite some time now, but it sounded like it was coming from somewhere on the passenger side.

Also, in regards to this engine rattle, at what temperature (outside the car) does this happen? Is it only in winter? Or both summer and winter?
    I should mention that I use a block heater up here in the winter. That keeps the block and the oil pan warm...I've noticed that when I don't plug it in, the car has a harder time starting up when it's really cold out.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I too have noticed this. It happens in the summer and winter when the engine is not warmed up. I notice a slight hesitation and a little bit of an engine "rattle". Like others here, I wrote it off as normal because it always goes away after the car is warmed up.