Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    Seem to be saddled with cheap interiors lately. I hope they do the 300z right. But things aren't looking good for it.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I saw a Infiniti G35 sedan up close at a local high school. Car looks nice up front, but the back end looks off, especially the C pillar and the trunk lid, the lines don't flow with the rest of the car.

the G35 coupe, on the other hand, from what I saw in the pictures, looks drop dead gorgeous :D
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Fxashun, I totally agree! I sat in the Altima at the Auto show, what a CHEAP looking interior. Nissan needs to go back to the drawing board...their interiors and rear ends:) are butt ugly. Also, I could never buy a Mexican Sentra!

Pjd58
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I sat in the Altima when they first came out in November. My first was a 3.5SE model with leather that stickered for ~$28,000. I got out and looked at the sticker price, then looked at the inteior again in the showroom. The salesman asked me if he could help. I said, "Yeah, I think they got this price tag or else the interior wrong". He didn't think it was as funny as I did though. :) I mean come on, the Protege's interior looks better than the Altima's, and it goes for ~$15K!
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I hate to say it, but Nissan seems to be the GM of Japanese cars now. They have lots of power and super cheesy platic interiors.

It is an absolutely BEAUTIFUL day today in Minneapolis. I'm going to the Twins game tonight---first sold out Twins game since the 91' world series. It's Friday, it's sunny, it's the Twins home opener----Wooo Hooo!
    I was in the front seat knocking on all the surfaces. There are NO soft touch surfaces in the car other than the seats. It's a shame really cause I love the rest of the car. It drives like a car with "substance" in my speak meaning that there is a buttery smooth heft to the controls. Even in the 4 cyl 5 speed we drove. And the looks are dead on. I would have signed on the spot it they had done the interior as well as the exterior. Those dealers are ready to deal on those.

New topic...The Big Game in Atlanta is 220Million. If I win the big one...Turbo Kits for the whole Protege room. And a indiglo kit too. Those were kewl.
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    It's been a while since I have posted--I own a 2000 Protege LX with manual transmission. It has 61,000 miles and I have yet to change the transmission oil. I don't seem to remember any mention of changing the gear oil every 30,000 miles in the owner's manual.

Unlike an engine, there is no combustion in the transmission and, as a result, breakdown of lubrication must be very slow. It seems to me that changing the tranny oil would be a waste of money until the car is several years old with well over 100,000 miles. Even then, the transmission is a sealed unit and should not attract too much moisture. Am I out of my gourd on this subject?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I'm gonna hold you to that ;)
    250 hp Protege's. Is there a 4 wheel drive version anywhere in the world? Let's go all out...I win we convert everyone's cars into 4 wheel drive Audi A4 destroyers. Yeah baby.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I think you've gone mad, but I'll take an A4.

:)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Think about it...The handling of the Protege with the power and 4 wheel drive of the A4. WRX what???? EVO who???? Don't they know this is SUPER PRO... OK maybe I've been indoors too long. I'm leaving.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Tim: I emailed you at work this afternoon. I'll check the package out tomorrow. Thank you so much! Since Mike invited you to AB, would you like to visit North York this summer :)

Everyone else: I apologize for my unannounced leave of absence. I started my teaching block on Wednesday and let me tell you, it might look easy, but the time preparing, getting the lesson in your head, going out there and presenting it and attempting to get something into people's heads while discussing and keeping them quiet while 2 are chocking each other at the back isn't easy. Nevertheless, it's going well. Teaching Shakespeare (Dale I gotta send you that unit - it's a 70 gallons book - you know what this comment is for) and geometry, plus badminton/ping-pong for now and in 2 weeks the REAL sport - football - aka "soccer".

Now if you thought I was preparing my lessons or marking this week, you're wrong. I was looking for a new house. On topic, eh? We currently live in a townhouse-condo in a good part of TO and since it has appreciated for over 55% of its initial value since we bought it in Oct 1998, it's time to cash out before the dealer gets a blackjack when you doubled-down on a 7+4 and got an Ace :)

PRO doing fine. However I am developing a mad case of road rage for Corolla drivers. Tim you should know what I mean since you work in Richmond Hill...

Fxashun: I don't think that type of language is necessary in here. You know what post I am referring to. It's history anyway, so let's just move on.

Dinu
    That would be a sweet ride :)

A PRO in AWD with 200hp, a 6 spd tranny, larger disk brakes and a Dinu-mandatory device: rear spoiler with LED.

ZOOM x (~)= Happy happy happy Dinu
    on the Pro vs Civ vs Sen board. What do you guys think?
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    I book marked an article from another Pro site about painting the calipers. I'd considered this on my previous, beloved,Furd V6 Contour. As an aside if Contour had the build quality, reliability of the Pro I'd absolutely still be driving it. As it is I did well to get rid of it.

Anyway I'd like suggestions of colors that would compliment Light sandalwood. Other than black which will be the fall back color if I don't come up with something else. OK. Let's see the posts start pouring in. :o) According to the article they make caliper paint. Hmmm. Must be some high temp application. As to black which would look better flat or gloss?

Thanks in advance.
    that wouldn't stand out at all, I say a dark shade of RED.
    I'm not much into exterior mods though I think clear corner headlight thingies would look great. I'm considering it.
    BUT seeing your black Pro once again makes me wish I could justify the not inconsiderable expense of losing my spoiler. They just look so much cleaner without. I realize I'm in a distinct minority on this issue.
    uh, I have a BLUE 2000 ES....

this is my car :)

http://myprotegegarage.homestead.com

and I'm not sure if you can 'clear out' a 01+ sedan headlights. You might consider replacing with P5 headlight assembly though...
    How quickly they jump ship....

I like the Pro and Mazdas in general, but I'm no idiot FX.
  • browntroutbrowntrout Member Posts: 24
    My 2000 Protege is Midnight Blue (best color IMO). I painted the front calipers dark blue. It looks great. It's not something that stands out alot as some of the pilaf-variety cars would have. The rear drums I left as is for now. It's surprising how durable the paint on the drums last. 2 winters and not that much rust at all. I've seen other cars that are about 2 years old or less and the drums are totally rusted. I think I'm going to paint them this year, probably a flat black or dark grey. I really don't want them to stick out since brake drums are a little ugly.

As far as painting the calipers...it's pretty simple. I just cleaned them with some brake dust remover, wiped them down pretty good with a rag, covered up the disc, and painted away. I think it was 2 or 3 coats. The paint lasts long if you get the high temp stuff but the dirt is a little more noticable on a painted caliper.
    Hard to tell from the photo
    Hard to tell from the first pic posted. The midnight blue is nice. I'm just too lazy to own a dark color.
    Factory would be the way to go but given the $110 price of one '01 ES foglamp assy I know I couldn't afford to go that route.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    "Teaching Shakespeare (Dale I gotta send you that unit - it's a 70 gallons book - you know what this comment is for)."

Hmmm....70 gallon book...must be about 24.67 kilometers when you do the conversion, right?
  • jpanzojpanzo Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchased a 2002 Protege LX, auto transmission. At speeds between 72-74MPH, and either keeping a constant speed or accelerating, I hear a high pitched whistling noise. It sounds like the noise you hear when the Emergency Broadcast System is testing on your television (only in a faint fashion). If I let off the gas even a little the noise stops. The noise doesn't appear to happen like this at any other speed.

This is in my opinion either a engine or transmission noise. The car has about 1,300 miles. The dealer said this is a "harmonic" noise and there is nothing they can do. I'm very disappointed in that this is the speed that I will do about 90% of my driving, and this noise will drive me totally crazy. Anyone have a similar experience?
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    The noise doesn't appear to happen like this at any other speed.

Try 71mph and 75mph or higher. ;)

Oh Oh, Yooper53 has been reading Compact Sports Car magazine again. Painted discs? With Light Sandlewood I would go with bright red, they would match the brakelights. If you are conservative try silver, doubt there is a gold that would look right.

fowler3
  • zoomzoom79zoomzoom79 Member Posts: 272
    gandalf: I am loving the car. Still in that newlywed stage.

Speaking of A4's at the same time we bought the SI there was a 2000 1.8 Quattro 5-speed with LOW miles for $16,500. If Audi's didn't scare me that would've been a great deal. It would've been more similar to the Protege too. I always said that in the right lighting the rear 3/4 of the Protege were very Audi-esque.

If we won the lottery I would buy all of you SI's so you could be as happy as me :) Hey stop throwing stuff. ouch.

Seriously I would keep the SI as a daily driver and put an M5 in the garage for when I wanted to feel "special". Or maybe I would upgrade the SI to a RSX-S...decisions, decisions.
  • sunrupsunrup Member Posts: 7
    Hi everyone!! Just bought a new ES with sunroof, ABS etc.. last saturday, about 450 miles on it now. Got it for $800 below invoice, as the dealer messed up the quote he emailed (he forgot to add tax, tags and processing fees) and he had to honor the price he quoted. Unbelievable deal!
    The car is pretty good, maybe too early to make a judgement. Like it so far, handles very well, far better than I expected. Only unhappy about the gas mileage, not impressive as of now, I may need to check it after I run it in. Any of you in the Northern Virginia area? Maybe we could meet and exchange notes on the car and the two dealers in this area.
    Welcome to the Protege board. The most exciting board on Edmunds. I still post here and I don't even have a Protege any more :)

If you are interested in meeting the other members there is going to be a MAPPIII (Mid Atlantic Protege Picnic) held in the VA area. mdaffron (you will see him post soon I'm sure) has all the details. But if I'm not mistaken it will be held May 18th.
  • sunrupsunrup Member Posts: 7
    Thanks zoomzoom.
    Will try to get hold of mdaffron.
    Just this week I was bragging to Curt about how friendly and helpful we were, trying to convince him to come back on over to the sedans board.

Does anybody know the answer to his question about transmission oil?

I don't know sugar about transmissions (other than that my car has one), so I can't help you out, Curt.

But if anybody else has a clue, please give post #11580 a try.

:)

--Dale
    Welcome!

--Dale
  • number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    I have a '02 sandalwood LX. Its a tough color to match. If I had to do it though, I would say some sort of yellow orange similar to the turn lights.

I recently zaino'ed my '02, and when the sun comes out, it really looks like liquid gold.
    I noticed that too, but on only one highway in Toronto. Has dissapeared/diminished since then. It sounds like an airplane taking off on the runway to me. I was annoying, but I don;t notice it anymore. Turn that stereo up :)

Dinu
  • silentguiltsilentguilt Member Posts: 35
    Well, I finally pulled my Pioneer Headunit out of my other car. After I clean it, I will be putting it in the Pro. Has anyone removed their headunit yet? ANY tips? What wiring harness did you use and where did you get it? Tips would be appreciated.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    The Owner's Manual for 2002 Pro doesn't even mention replacement of AT fluid (severe service schedule) up to 60,000 miles.

Personally, I have never replaced AT fluid in my last 10 cars and have had no transmission problems (except for GM warranty replacement of AT in my 1977 Chevette with low mileage). But I do replace cars after 75-80,000 miles.

Dealers generally recommend replacement at 30,000 mile intervals, but at their $120 or so price, I wouldn't do it.
    "stupidly tricked-out" or STO!

Remember this!

ZoomZoom79, I just read what people get when they win the lottery. They don't get money! They get annuities, which take a lot of time to convert to cash because of additional taxes: capital gains and federal income tax. As one analist said, "You can't go out and buy 14 Ferraries and a $25 million house." But I bet you could buy all the Protegés and RX-8's you want! LOL!

fowler3
    Sounds good to me.

Brake calipers shouuld be

a) left as they are
    b) painted red

Painting it yellow is too STO-ish since YELLLOW=FAST as we all know :)

Dinu
    I would bet that there are plenty of people that would loan you money with your winnings as collateral. BTW, in California you have the option of taking it in a lump sum(reduced by the time value of money) or a 20 year annuity(for the full amount).
    Painting it yellow is too STO-ish since YELLLOW=FAST as we all know

and red isn't STO-ish?
    So is red, but you gotta admit yellow is the ultimate wannabe colour for boy racers. I wouldn't paint my calipers. If I had a Porsche or ferrari and it was STANDARD equipement, then it would be justified,but painting it to look "cool" doesn't interest me. It's like putting an Acura badge on a Honda Civic to pretend you own a 1.7EL.

Dinu
    Are you saying they never made a Type R Civic? I'm crushed, hurt and dismayed.
    Thanks for the input, alternator...

silentguilt-- Back in November of 2001 I replaced the stock CD player with a Pioneer Head Unit with cassette and disc-changer controls. I mounted the 6-pack disc changer on the back of the rear passengar seat. It is very easy access from either the trunk or while stopped at a red light when in the car.

If you still have the stock CD player in the car you will need the removal tool that, if I am not mistaken, is the same as the Ford tool. This tool actually consists of 2 "U" shaped "keys" that you insert into the stock deck, and, with a little luck, you can pop your old unit out with no problem.

I recommend buying a wiring harness (about $ 15.00) fromm your local stereo shop, or you can go online too www.crutchfield.com. If you have the exisiting metal frame that your Pioneer deck came with, you will not need to buy any installation kit. So you will only be out a few bucks for the harness. While you have the deck out, have you considered buying a CD changer? Anyway, good luck with the installation; it only takes a few minutes since you do not have to remove any of the dash pieces--unlike a Honda Civic which requires a lot more tinkering. By the way, the aftermarket deck (Pioneer) did not interfere with the remote lock system if you have it. Some foreign cars such as the Honda require you to have your factory deck to have your car upgraded (at the Honda dealership) to remote entry.

Feel free to post back if you have any problems with the installation.
    When I was in college (the first time around) I had a 1986 Mazda 626 GT that I bought used in 1990--what a car! I sold it with 160,000 miles a few years back and never once had I changed the transmission fluid. Keep in mind that this car enjoyed being driven hard. I may not have always followed Dad's advice, but he made a lot of sense about mechanical things. A few years before becoming and Army helicopter pilot, he was an Air Force crew chief on F-86 Sabre Jets and F-80 Shooting Stars and had quite a bit of mechanical know-how. Although cars are not jets, he always contended that changing transmission fluid was only needed when changing transmissions. He would go on about how the units are factory sealed and were better left alone. Somehow his voice still haunts me when I get the itch, after reading some of the posts here, to get the fluid changed.

Like a previous poster stated, it is the dealership who wants you to change the fluid at 30,000 miles. These are the same guys who wanted to change my anti-freeze at 30,000 when my Protege was just 1 year old. The manual calls for 45,000 and I trust Mazda's engineers. Although I can't bring myself to wait 7,500 miles for an oil change, I don't think it would really be that bad for a car like mine driven 3,000 miles each month. I really don't think that the writers of the user's manual would tell you to wait 7,500 miles just so that your car would break down more quickly so that you would have to buy another Mazda sooner. Reliability sells cars better than replacibility...in my humble opinion...
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    I have made a decision to purchase a 2002 Protege ES, 5 sp., fully loaded with sunroof, ABS, security system, autodimming mirror with compass and temp, carpets, cargo net, side airbags for $15,286.00 from carsdirect.com. My questions are:
    1. Has anyone here purchased a car from carsdirect, if so how were they to deal with?
    2. What are the major service requirements at 60,000 miles (please look in your manuals)?
    3. Any major problems with this model.

I drive 15,000 miles per year and need a reliable car. My 10 year old nissan sentra SE has 168,000 miles and runs great, does not burn a drop of oil and still smooth at 80-90 mph. Want Protege to be as reliable.

Please respond, thanks for your input

Frank
  • number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    Enough of the STO, I didn't think about that. Personally I would not such such a terrrible thing to a car. I was making a choice, and preface it with 'if i had to do this'. Here's an idea, make it technicolor. As in Technicolor Yawn, the thing i do when i think about the idea.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    It's been a while since I have posted--I own a 2000 Protege LX with manual transmission. It has 61,000 miles and I have yet to change the transmission oil. I don't seem to remember any mention of changing the gear oil every 30,000 miles in the owner's manual. Unlike an engine, there is no combustion in the transmission and, as a result, breakdown of lubrication must be very slow. It seems to me that changing the tranny oil would be a waste of money until the car is several years old with well over 100,000 miles. Even then, the transmission is a sealed unit and should not attract too much moisture. Am I out of my gourd on this subject?

by Curt

Mazda specifies a regular time and or mileage intervals for the changing of manual transmission lubricant in your Protege. You can find this information in the Mazda Protege owner's manual. Manual transmissions are lubricated by a lubricant that is splashed throughout the transmission by the moving gears. Curt, the lubricant should be at the correct level and changed on schedule or the transmission parts could wear out prematurely. The interval for lubrication level check should specified in your Mazda Protege's maintenance schedule in the owner's manual. My brother used Redline MTL (Manual Transmission Lubricant) in his 1998 Saab 9-3 when he had his replacement done. His mechanic raves about Redline products.

-Larry
    frankpcb: Make sure you take a lengthy test drive in the Protege in ALL driving conditions to make sure it's a good fit for your driving style.

fowler: Our lottery is $220,000,000 (that's a big number even to type) so even if it is paid in annuities (which I don't believe it is) it would be almost $10,000,000 per year. GA also has the lump sum option but I'd rather get the money every year. It'll give me something to look forward to. I definitely think fxashun and I could afford to get everyone here a turbo kit that will make the engineers at Mazda cry.
    fowler: Our lottery is $220,000,000 (that's a big number even to type) so even if it is paid in annuities (which I don't believe it is) it would be almost $10,000,000 per year. GA also has the lump sum option but I'd rather get the money every year.

Virginia has the same option, payable over 26 years or lump sum up front. For young people, the first should be considered; for older people lump sum is best. More money in less time is best in most situations other than lotteries. When the 26 year option is chosen all the money bet goes into annuities, the Lottery keeps the principal (at the end), the winner gets the interest in 26 annual payments. Lump sum is what it says, but it takes 60 to 90 days for it to come in.

And the BAD NEWS for people in North Carolina? It's against the law to be in possesion of lottery tickets. Punishable by jail and a fine. Does that stop them from crossing the border -- NOOO!

North Carolina has a lot of STO laws. ;)

fowler3