Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    WOW!....that is a crunch....

anyway, welcome to the gang!! (of busted PRO ES's)

mine was busted in the back right in the second month after I got it in 1999. Ouch!!

took $3000 to fix lights,trunk and rear bumper...but it was no fault of mine.

Wish you a speedy recovery speedypete!!
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    You should see if you can get the sport 20 front end. If it isn't that much more money than the original front end, I'd go for it.
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    see if you can get the full sport 20 conversion (w/ side skirts and all), visit corksport.com and see what you can come up :)

Trigger's gonna reborn as the 'Sport 20 Trigger'!
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    My deepest condolences Pete. :(
    Glad to hear that nobody was injured though. I think Todd's idea of getting the sport 20 front end is a great idea!
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Anybody know if there is a catalog of 02 pro accessories to be found on the mazdausa site? TIA
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    There is a Mazda dealer site out there, but I cannot remember what it is. It's posted in this forum a couple times though.
    Perfect. I wanted that Mazda performance accessories catalog to get the part number of the strut tower brace. My local Mazda parts department had no idea what I was talking about with respect to a performance parts catalog and further insisted that Mazda doesn't make a strut tower brace for the 02 Pro. Why am I not surprised?
    I'm not saying the pro is a power house, but its power is adequate for its weight, IMO. I went for a drive up into the mountains this weekend, up to about 10,000 feet above sea level. I was pleased with the fact that I could cruise along in 5th, even with the air on going up hill. There wasn't a ton of extra power, but I was happy that it had enough to pull its own weight.

Of course, I wouldn't have been so leisurely strolling along in 5th if I hadn't been stuck behind an SUV most of the way. Stupid SUVs. Push them past .1g and the driver starts to get scared it might tip over. ;-)

I still wish fuel economy was better, though. Oh well. The pro isn't really about the engine anyway. If you could have it all for $14,200, that would be a miracle. Besides, it gives me something about which to complain. :-)
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    But very interesting nonetheless:

http://www.auto.com/industry/vintag4_20020404.htm

Meade

• speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    ...From the dealer yet on the cost of the repairs. I just spoke to my ins agent, no problems so I'll be getting it fixed right away.

As for the Sport 20 front end...we'll see.

Pete
    In your State, are you responible for the other person's vehicle as well in this case?
    Yes. I was at fault and his car will be paid for by my insurance. He files the claim through his company, and then mine reimburses his company for it.

As for the Sport 20 front end, I would have to buy the Sport 20 foglights to go with it and that would push up the cost by about $500 ($435 for the fog light kit from Corksport, front bumper is about $70 more than stock)

Doubt I'll be getting that....

Regards,

Pete
    Do you need the fog light kit?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    To see your Pro looking like that.

I agree with Mike. Maybe you don't need the fog lights, just yet. That or you may find a nice set of Cibe lights that do the trick. For only $70 more, since they have to to the paint, now is the time.

Hopes for a quick recovery,
    malt
    doesn't the insurance company pick up the tab after you pay the deductible?

on the other hand, I guess if it costs more to put on the Sport 20 kit, it'll come back to you through the hike on your premium :(
    Won't the hike in the premium happen anyway? I was under the impression that's what happens if you make a claim.
    but it'll get even HIGHER if the parts he uses are more expensive :(

but I'm just making an educated guess :o
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Most companies are keenly aware of what parts cost. They will look at the estimates provided and may even require their insured to use an "approved" body shop. They are not into paying for mods, but if you get them to cut a check and then pick up the difference, everyone is happy.
    That's what I was thinking, get the insurance co. to cut you a check and pay the difference. That way, they don't know/care what you are doing with the money.

Also, Pete, sorry to say but your premium probably is going to go up. You had a pretty significant amount of damage to your car, and it was your fault.

Insurance companies cannot raise your premium for comprehensive claims, however. It's against the law to do so.
    What's a comprehensive claim? How does it differ from other claims?
    is coverage for damage to your car NOT caused by collision(s) with another motor vehicle(s). E.G. hitting a tree, tree falling on your car, car break-ins, natural disasters (flood, tornado, hail), hitting a deer >:(
    State Farm (my company) also does not count against you for hit-and-runs either. I made a claim because my Protege was hit 3 weeks after I bought it. :( They didn't raise my insurance though. I was surprised.
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    ...sorry to hear about your car. Hopefully it will be in good shape after it's fixed!
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    Klasse application Questions:

1. What cloth to use to apply the stuff?
    2. Any problems with mulitple coatings?
    3. How deep is the shine compared to any other wax/polish u have used so far?

btw, how's ur x2 es's doing?
  • draymond2draymond2 Member Posts: 134
    I picked up my car yesterday, tech stated shift solenoid malfunction, had to replace transmission. He said 1st one they have had to replace on that new of a protege. Also replaced brake pads, questioned why brakes would have to be replaced at 14k miles, tech stated not uncommon, due to weight of car, etc,etc.. I thought that was odd, due to the fact I don't drive the car hard or put any unneccesory wear on the brakes.

Transmission started to act up on the way home, drove car on the interstate totday, having same problems before new transmission. erratic shifting, overdrive light flashing, check engine light on. Taking back tommorrow.

Does anyone out there have any ideas on the problem? I really like this car, but I'm starting to have 2nd thoughts about keeping it.

I purchased the car 8-01. Do I have any legal rights re: lemon laws if I have to pursue that avenue?
    It has to happen 3 times within the first year of ownership, then they will take the car back. Also, it has to be out of service for 30 days total. This is MD law, but they do differ from state to state. Check into that in your state.

And the brakes, under any cause, should NOT wear out in 14K miles. My 1999 DX's brakes wore out ini 26K miles, and I was very hard on them. That mechanic is full of crap.

With this tranny thing, did you notice any kind of squeaking from the tranny when shifting between gears? I was just wondering. My 2001 did that, but I traded it before anything else happend with it.
    In Virginia you have to have documented evidence that the car was repaired to fix the EXACT same problem three times in 18 months. (Unless it's a problem that affects the safety of the vehicle -- then you can actually call the car a lemon in Virginia if it's been in the shop ONCE for that problem in 18 months and the problem persists.) So in your case, if it was a solenoid the first time and the shifting mechanism the second, too bad. Different problem. (That's what your warranty's for -- sorry, I didn't make the rules.) And they won't just happily take it back -- usually you'll have to hire an attorney and take the case to court. But as long as you've got the documentation, you'll win.

Here's a great site that will help you find out about your state:

http://www.lemonlawamerica.com/

Concerning insurance -- comprehensive claims may not RAISE your rates, but they sure as hell can get you DROPPED. Again, as I've stated before, we're talking Frequency of Risk. Even if the deer/lightning strike/tree falling wasn't YOUR fault, you represent a higher-than-average risk to the company if these things keep happening to you -- and just as happened with me last month, that letter you THINK is your renewal notice is really your "Bye-Bye" letter.

Meade
    There is no squeaking when the gears shift, The problems start occuring when I am in the higher gears. Also when the car downshifts there is a noticeble noise from higher to lower gears.
    What is the noise? Is it the engine revving higher or something else?
    ... and it's 15 months or 15,000 miles, whichever comes first. You can read Maryland's lemon law here:

http://www.oag.state.md.us/consumer/lemon.htm

Meade

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Sorry Pete. Hope Trigger is back on its feet soon.

Ouch.
    You might be able to find some glazing product to fill in minor scratches. I'll look around. I know they have them for plastics (Novus is one brand name), might have some for glass.
    (I'm posting this on the Yahoo! group too, but who knows when THAT will show up?!)

My wife had a great idea. Seeing that so many people are coming from so many different states, she said, why doesn't everyone bring a bunch of postcards from where they live and we'll trade them at MAPP III?

So here's your homework assignment for May 18: Go to your local drugstore/visitor center/whatever and pick up a couple dozen postcards of stuff you think is cool about where you live. Write your name and Edmunds username on them and whatever else you care to include, and we'll swap 'em around at the picnic!

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Meade, that sounds like a good idea. I wish I could make it.

Transmissions---I sure am glad that I could never buy a car with an automatic. No matter what brand, it seems that automatics have many more problems than manuals.
    www.janvil.com

I haven't tried any of their products, so I can't vouch personally for it. At least they have a few levels of product for differing levels of damage. One sign it may be serious stuff.
    The engine is revving higher than normal.

The lemon law for KY is 12k miles or 12months whichever comes first. It looks like I'm out of luck there.
    My 1999 DX used to rev like that before it would shift. It didn't start doing that until like 35K though, and I traded the car in on the 2001 ES at 37,364 miles. I never had problems with it, the OD off light never flashed, and they also never found any problems with the car when I took it in (like 3 times).

Note: When the OD off light does flash, that means there's a computer problem. I didn't know if you all knew that or not. The dealer also told me the computer will "hold" that code that set off the light, just like it does for the "check engine" light.
  • fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    Who's the dealer you had doing this work. I think I would like to stay away from these dingalings if you feel comfortable identifying them. I also live in Ky., Jefferson county. Are they in this area?
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Welcome back, Fritz!

--Dale
    It's Craig and Landreth. I had previously heard positive experiences with them from other people. They have been easy to deal with in the buying process vs some of the other local dealers that I was dealing with.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Petey: Sooo sorry to hear that and see the front end of your PRO. My deepest sympathies man. Good to hear everyone's fine though.

Dinu
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Thanx for the Ontario Solo link! How about a trip to the London area? Whaddaya say Dale?

Dude: Keep me posted on how it goes. We shoud definitely hook up sometime this summer for an auto-x. Always good to have more than 1 PRO at an event so you have something to discuss with a fellow PRO-freak.

Dinu
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Thanks for the invite...never been in your part of the continent before. Definitely something to keep in mind when I start boiling down here in Chicago round July or August.

--Dale
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    On page 5-32 of owner's manual ('01 Pro) it states, "If the over-drive off light flashes, the transaxle has an electrical problem. Continuing to drive...could cause damage to your transaxle."

On my previous Furd Contour I had this happen twice. It'd continue until shutdown. I was baffled but never thought much about it. A couple days ago I read a post in the Contour site about some poor bugger who had the flashing O/D light. His trans puked a couple days later. At 106K on my Furd it looks like my trans might have been living on borrowed time. This is just another of a long list of reasons I'd like to see Furd keep their hands off Mazdas!
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Their web site rather put me off by seeming to claim that their product does not use "abrasives" (patently false). However, if you click on "Place Order" and then on "Plastic and Glass Restore Samples" you find that they offer a "Glass Restore Sample Pack" which includes 1oz. bottles each of "Glass Renew", "Glass Scratch Remover" and "Glass Glow" and shipping for $11.50 total! I hope someone herein pursues this and shares their results with us.
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    I have been trying for the last two days to find a protege es, sunlight silver metallic, 5 speed, moonroof, abs, side airbags, cargo net, security system, autodiming mirror, carpets. I have had carsdirect.com searching and autobytel, all ove the state of Florida and georgia, all the ones that they found were automatics, I refuse to have an auto in a sports sedan, besides my friend who is the service manager for mazda, said that you have to change the auto transmission fluid and filter at 30,000 miles or you will have serious problem with transmission later. Guys can u help me find my protege?

Frank
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I was just looking at the Mazda performance accessories on their website and saw that they have a performance exhaust available. Does anyone here know if it offers any real power gain and how much it costs? Thanks!

Frank-I can't believe how scarce 5-speed Pros are. I went to the dealer to look last week and I only saw two 5-speeds on the lot out of 20 cars. I'm looking at the Pro in the same color with the same options as you but I still can't decide if I want a 5-speed or an automatic. I live in Charlotte so the traffic can be pretty bad but the 5-speed is FUN. Good luck finding your car!
    Found out today that it's approximately $5000.00 worth of damage due to the front crossmember, hood, radiator, a/c condenser, tranny lines, etc... that were damaged. Sucks, huh? I am concerned however that the airbags didn't go off. I thought they were supposed to deploy in a moderate to severe frontal impact such as this one. On the other hand, I am glad they didn't...the cost of replacing them could have put my car dangerously close to "totalled" as I may have exceeded 80% of the value of the car...State Farm's rule for totalling out the vehicle. (Approximately 10k value for my car at this time)

One of the worst parts is that I don't get to show it off at the meet. Instead I will probably be driving some POS Saturn that I have for a rental. Oh well.....

Protege_fan....do you have the Sport 20 front end? I know someone did the conversion for MAPP II but I need to talk to that person ASAP!!! I may still get the Sport20 Front end, but I thought there were fitment mods needed, and I'm a bit nervous about having to modify the car. Shop says it's all the same to them if the cost isn't much more, painting is all the same. Who got the conversion?????????????

Vocus...I didn't check the center turn lane carefully enough...and there was a Jeep there. I spoke to my insurance agent today and the only change to my rate will be the loss of the "accident free" discount, or $60 a year difference. That's not too bad considering the repair bill (that's still climbing).

I'm off to bed.

Regards,

Pete
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    knowing that your insurance is only going to increase $5/month. Good luck and hopefully you'll have your car repaired soon.