Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Hey, I was really nice about your ankle and all, wasn't I? (and you never told us whether your team won)

Actually, I agree with you about the Pro's pedals being small.

And my cousin told me he takes off his shoes when he drives his Protege so that he can find the pedals.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Using the price I paid, I lost 31.5% from my trade in 8 months, but I had higher than usual mileage too. Using MSRP, it would be something like 38%. That's still kinda high.

I could have traded my current car in a couple weeks ago for $21K, I was told. At that price, I would have lost only 12% or so in 5 months. Based on MSRP, it would have been 18% or so.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    323:
    the steering (too light and rubbery)
    not designed with enthusiastic driver in mind.

MP3:
    The suspensions setup is not very stiff, allowing a smooth ride without ruining body control

This makes sense.
    A person who think the MP3 is not STIFF, is certainly going to think the PRO ES has soft suspension...LOL
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    "No I understand.
    I wasn't trying to be a jerk ;-)"
    by seminole_kev

I hear ya, I hope my response to your question didn't come off as flippant. I understand you were just trying to clarify the term for "value". :-)

-Larry
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Yes you were kind about the ankle Dale, thanks again.
    There's a reason why I didn't tell you who won :(
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Dang...that's too bad that you lost...what happened? Couldn't you kee.........

Oh, I kill myself sometimes.....

;)
    "Interesting info on the values..."
    by protege_fan

I hear ya Michael, prolly the most supprising is the Saturn SL2 ranking in the top third.
    -Larry
    No kidding. I don't get it...I was just looking at used cars for my Bro, and there are so many Saturn SL2s around, it's amazing! They're almost as prolific as the Pontiac Sunfire!
    I am surprised they have that high a resale value, but then again I am not. You have to remember, a Saturn is not going to have dents and dings because of the plastic body. It will look newer longer. Maybe that's why.
    Perhaps, the banks are more comfortable setting a higher residual on a vehicle not supported by $2000.00 cash back programs, or that some dealers might be tempted to cheap sell a Saturn for $50.00 over dealer invoice to meet an end of the month quota? Or, maybe because they only sell for MSRP?

-Larry
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    Thanks for responding to the poll that I started. There seems to be quite a contrast in opinions when it comes to manual vs. automatic. In fact, I thought for a minute as I read through the posts that I had started a war, lol! I'm still not sure what I'm going to get but I am leaning towards a manual. Traffic in Charlotte may be pretty bad during rush hour but I really don't get stuck in it very often so a manual might not be so bad. I've got a week to think it over. Thanks again!

Implicit-I think you got a decent price on your car considering the options you chose. How do you like the Sport Automatic?
  • windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    So it's true, then - you are what you drive.

(And I'm on my second 626.)
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    I learned on an auto, but self-taught myself in one week 5spd as my mom's bf at the time and her went away to Mexico on a trip. So I took his Saturn and learned. Next car will be 5spd for sure. I like the power, the engine braking and the opportunity it creates to kick it one gear down and zoom past anyone (well almost).

Dinu

BTW: Happy Tuesday everyone!
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    Hello folks,

I have placed my Protege for sale on EBAY. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions concerning the listing. Thanks!!

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1824066855

• bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    Only three days ago you said, "This aside, the Protege is THE perfect car."
    But then you also said, "May I suggest that you buy a two-year-old Protege--they are out there for less than you think and it may acutally cost less than a fully-loaded Rio."
    Someone telling someone else to buy a 2-year-old Pro while dumping his own. Sounds like a Merrill Lynch stock analyst.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    I test drove five Proteges and decided it was the beat car for the money, by far.

I meant to say, I test drove five Proteges and decided it was the BEST car for the money, by far.

That said, here's my two cents worth:

About Hertz cars: When I was first looking for a used car, I re-read Edmunds' article on that. I thought Edmunds had suggested that buyers try a rental because Hertz keeps their cars up and offers a warrenty or good return policy. On reading it again I was surprised that Edmunds did not say that at all. Quite the contrary.

Some buyers may do very well buying rentals, but generally, many do not. The car may have been a lemon when the rental agency bought it.

On cleaning dash crevaces and ducts: What bugs me are little white things stuck in the spaces between parts, such as the moveable ducts and the dash. I bought a nylon brush at AutoZone that does a great job of getting rid of that. It folds up for storage.

Manual vs AT: I've been driving for 56 years, both manual and in cars with Auto trannies. If you own a small car, and are young enough to enjoy it, by all means buy manual trannies. You get the best use out of the available powerband. It's great fun to shift and be in total control. The best drivers can shift just as smoothly as any auto-transmission and not make the ride uncomfortable for passengers. It takes practice! It takes a certain combination of hand and foot working together -- not popping the clutch.

A good driver can take passengers from point A to point B without them noticing whether the car is manual or AT and without having to brace themselves for curves and stops. Play at being at La Mans when alone in the car.

From 1973 to 1997, I bought small cars with manual trannies. And owned many in prior years in addition to (two cars) AT-equiped American cars. Both have their advantages.

About depreciation: I find it very interesting that the Audi dealer, in Greensboro, places Kelly Blue Book print-outs on the windows of traded-in Audis showing their market value. Yet, if you go in to trade they quote the NADA book for your car. KBB is well-known for overrating car values while the NADA book underrates them.

I have often found that dealers of competitive models will offer the same price for a trade as the dealer you bought the car from -- especially Honda dealers. So, if Hondas hold their value more than other cars why is the Honda dealer's offer the same as the others?

I have bought and traded many cars, one time being only $7.00 apart, and walked out. It's the principal.

For the person buying a Protege, don't buy a manual because most of the others did. Buy what is going to be most serviceable and easy for you to drive, depending on your circumstances getting to work and shopping. If you are going to spend a lot of time in first and second gear everyday, buy an AT. Cars are suppose to be fun, not labor-intensive. You will wear out the clutch very quickly at traffic lights.

fowler3
    If you trade for a manual tranny car and have never driven that way before, I hope you will get somebody to ride along and be your eyes on the road. Also, go out away from the city to practice the first few days. Find a big parking lot on a weekend to practice parking as well as shifting, away from other cars.

Head Southwest away from Northern Va into the countryside. Look for less-traveled roads.

Don't slip the clutch!

fowler3
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    love it too much to let it go so soon :-)

although I am planning to get a 2nd car as my competition car (eg RWD, manual). Nissan 240SX is what I've searching for lately :-)
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    Jack Ingram Mazda in Montgomery, AL. has just ordered protege es's with 5 speeds in all colors, the sales manager told me today. He expects to have them on his lot in 10 days and they will have the premium package. If you are interested in them, ask for Peter, he handles their internet sales and they will honor carsdirect.com price for the protege with options as they did for me.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    MAPP is the "Mid-Atlantic Protege Picnic." Seems like you wanted a LAPP: "Larry And Paul Picnic." If you're going to be that way, telling us it ain't no fun without Larry, then so be it. Just a word of warning: After that insult to the rest of us, I'd REALLY keep an eye on that Jetta of yours while you're in the shelter chowin' down. I'd keep the parking brake on, the windows up and the doors locked. The park's boat ramp to the Shenandoah River is only a few hundred feet away ...

;-)

Meade
    Well, I (as doomsayer) am back again. This morning's Wall Street Journal says car insurance rates have risen 8 percent overall since last year, and State Farm has announced a big rate increase for its customers to bring them back in line with the industry -- they had kept their rates "artificially low" for the past few years to attract new customers.

You'll be finding a surprise in your mailbox when your policy renews!

Meade
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    your right, my insurance went up on my protege from 503 per year to 585 per year for full coverage. whats wierd is that my ford expedition went down and both are 2001's
    Boys and girls, we're really breaking records this time. Here are the latest stats on our May 18 get-together:

28 people
    18 Proteges
    1 whitewater-bound Jetta

Meade
    Go check out the Yahoo! group's homepage pic this morning. I think you'll enjoy it.

(Snicker, snicker.)

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Is it true that the old VW bugs could float? I wonder if VW built that feature into their new cars?
    That was just plain mean. And you could have at least gotten the wheels on the car right. :)

About State Farm, my policy just renewed for May 2002 until November, and my rates did not go up. I have the house insurance with them as well, so maybe that helps some. But thanks for the warning.
  • snagy1snagy1 Member Posts: 55
    can anyone recommend a good set of lights, i live in the country, and need a set of lights that will still look nice on my LX Protege.
    I just added your pic to that pic.

;-)

Meade
    No, I meant to put the :) in the post about you being mean. I know it's all in good fun. And then you threw me in the river with the car? Oh good lord! That is funny though. :)
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    on Consumer Reports' truly weird "Auto Issue" click here:

http://www.forbes.com/home/2002/03/25/0325flint.html

• dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Now that's not right. ;-)

Just for that, I'm coming to MAPP, but not in the Pro - I'm taking the wife's Grand Prix GTP so Paul and I can do smoky burn-outs around your Pros until our "poorly built, unreliable" cars fall apart. With any luck, mine will die right behind Meade's car, trapping it on the lot. ;-)
    Smoky burn-outs? I am not trying to burn up a set of $340 tires to do spin-outs, sorry dude. :) It does sound like alot of fun though... :)
    Well, at least we have that option. Ha! ;-)
    Never thought about it like that. :) I used to be able to burn out a little tiny bit in my Protege ES when I had it (but never the DX). I would have to be turning the wheel though, with the AC off and no one in the car but me. :(
    My insurance went from $642 to $700 in January! And my house insurance went up, too. I started to get AARP car insurance,advertised as LOW for seniors, what a rip-off, it's even higher than State Farm at $900 a year.

fowler3
    smokey burnouts in my Pro. I've never done it, but it can be done. If I still had my stang, I'd do smokey burnouts around your GTP until my wheels fell off....in second gear.
    Yeah, my Protege did that too on those crappy Bridgestone Poortenzas -- until I purchased a set of REAL tires and now my power gets transferred to the pavement instead of into noise and foul-smelling smoke.

Pontiac? Hmmm. We had one. A 1980 Grand Le Mans. The only four-door sedan I've ever encountered whose rear windows were fixed -- i.e. no cranks, didn't roll down. By the time we got rid of that heap at the ripe "old" age of 66,000 miles, it was burning/leaking/eating about three quarts of 20W50 motor oil every 1,000 miles. We used to joke about taking it to the gas station to "fill up the oil, and -- uh -- check the gas while you're at it." In fact, that thing caused my dad to have to resurface our driveway from all the oil/coolant/tranny fluid leaks it had. And to think that was my mom's car and she babied it. Oh well, I will admit that cars weren't built as well in the '80s as they are today.

OK, now I've got to go back into Photoshop and add a Pontiac to the river ... gee you guys keep me busy!!!

Meade
  • jbolltjbollt Member Posts: 736
    Hi all, wife and I just back(to AZ)from an extended weekend in Detroit to help our daughter replace her 96 Pro LX automatic. She bought a Sand Mica(she agreed with me that the Emerald Green was too dark) 2002 LX automatic with alarm, wheel locks, floor mats, alloys/moonroof for $100 over invoice, PLUS got $2000 in rebates...(recent college grad)Price paid=$13778 (MSRP $16855) Trade allowance was $4500. The best news? She qualified for her loan on her own! She just graduated college in Dec. (Mom and Dad would have co-signed,if needed, but we are proud of her for having established and maintained credit on her own while in college.

BTW, her old 96 was bought 1 year old (former Hertz rental!) for $10,800 with 14,000 miles, and other than replacing spark plug wires twice, the car was faultless...well...a little underpowered..heheh
    Yeah, what ever. And if I still had that vette ..., blah blah blah. Point is, if you got it (low end torque) you can use it, or not, as you see fit. If you don't got it, sorry - better luck next time (as those other cars go wizzing by on the freeway on ramp, etc.).

By the way, the GTP was my car, until I passed it off on to the wife so I could have my Pro (with a stop in her chevy in between until the funds were in place). Even with the difference in low end torque, the Pro is still easily a better car, even before the $10,000 difference in cost.
    If you really do come to MAPP III, you WILL, without a doubt, win the door prize (and there will be one) for the farthest traveled.

Now, my only concern is how to award the door prize for real ... do we count AIR MILES, or just those who sweated out the trip in their cars?

(I'm waiting, Dale ....)

;-)

Meade
    That sounds like your daughter got a great deal! Congrats.
    ... won't be able to make it, but I've been thinking about trying to get one together for folks out here - Colorado front range area. Anyone interested?
    Make it close to the Canadian Border and I'd probably show :D
    In Edmunds future cars section, they have the redesigned Pro (the more ford-like pro with the new 2.3 inline 4) down as a possibly a 2003 model. 2003 model year seems quite a bit "optimistic" to me, even as an 03 model in 03.

(optimism in quotes because I'm not sure optimism would be appropriate with respect to a more Ford-like Pro, but we shall see - I'll try to keep an open mind).
    The Pro does have a lot of low end torque compared to others in it's class. Sure it doesn't have as much as an SE-R or a Jetta 1.8T, but I wouldn't say it has no low end torque. It's all relative. Your GTP has an unusual amount of low end torque for it's class. My point is that it is silly to say your going to bring your GTP and show the Pros "how it's done". That's why I brought up my Stang...

FWD burnouts are weak by the way.
    My 1996 Cavalier would spin its wheels easier than my Protege DX would though. And the ES was not much better. I test drove a Golf 2.0 automatic and spun wheels in it before. That's not hard.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Maybe if it were a bit closer to CA, but I can't do CO. Seems like there aren't many west coasters on this topic anymore.
    I'm talking about manual transmission cars. Although I've never done it, and probably never will, I guarantee you I could burn the tires completely off my rims if I wanted to in my Protege. Almost any manual transmission car could.
    Afterall, comparing the two is a daily event for me 'cause I own them both, just as you have owned a Pro and a Stang. Yes, it is all relative, from car to car and person to person. Besides, the real point of bringing it up was to try to even up the sides a bit with all of the ganging up on Paul and his Jetta. :-)