Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Paul, you drive automatics! No wonder you can't spin that rubber! (The Golf must've had bald tires ... or Potenzas.)

BTW, what's all this talk about "burning rubber?" How does that show off a car's abilities? Seems to me the more power you actually transfer to the pavement, the better ... I suppose if your tailpipe puts out a cloud of black smoke, that's a performance feature too?

(On a serious note (who, me?), I must admit I do perform the occasional "chirp" in my '00 ES 5-speed just for grins & giggles ... but it is harder to do with the Dunlop SP Sport A2s.)

Meade
    I just devoted some more time to the Yahoo! group homepage pic. Go check it out now. Much better in my opinion.

Meade
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Speaking of that, I've been thinking of adding a flame thrower to the the pros tail pipe. That should add at least 10 hp, I should think.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Re: longest distance traveled to MAPP...since I'm being a wuss and flying, I don't think that really counts. Next time, plan it during my spring break, and I'll consider making the road trip.

Re: 'burn-outs'...um, I'm familiar with this expression as a way to refer to people who over-indulge in certain substances. Please provide an explanation for the dumb girl.

Re: Paul and Paul's car in the river...jeez, what the heck is this, 'Lord of the Flies'?
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    I'd watch it...you may be next!!

PS. Not a threat...just an observation :D
    Basically making the tires squeal and smoke.
    Thanks for the explanation, and the heads up :)
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Wasting tires by spinning them. Makes alot of smoke and noise. Really cool for we testosterone over-burdened types. It shows you have plenty of power, and money, to "burn", so to speak. Argh! Hey. you're getting into the middle of our, um, urination confrontation. ;-)
    Yes, you're right...don't want to be in the middle of that. And me with my umbrella out in the PROTEGE.
    How the heck am I going to get through the day without a few glasses of your Sangria of the Gods and a good cigar with my good friend?

You mean I gotta bring a bottle of Thunderbird and find a new smokin' buddy?

AARRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!

Meade
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    The Golf was brand new, a 2000 model back then. It had like 20 miles on it or something, and they let me test drive it alone. I floored the pedal from a stop just to see what it had. At that time, I had the DX Protege. I was thrilled that there was enough power to chirp the wheels with an automatic. :)

On the 1.8T I have now, I can burn the hell out of the wheels from a stop (with automatic) if I turn off the ASR. I don't though, because like I said before, the tires are like $180 each and I ain't trying to replace them up sooner than they will have to be.

As far as that pic, it's a little too dumb now. My opinion only.
    ... as the target victim of my joke. I, the creator and High Lord of the Yahoo! group, am still LMFAO about it.

A vote, y'all ... should the Paul pic stay on the Yahoo! group, or should I remove it and put a Protege pic back up?

Meade
    I like the pic, but I like the look of the Pro much better than that white log (the car people...the car) in the river....MHO only :D
  • meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    and make if funnier by having a big shark swim by to bite off his head!
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Please keep it. I won't be able to look at it until tonight because of my companies funny little firewall.
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    I've been swamped with work and just haven't had any time to post. On a conference call now and thought i would drop in quick and say hello. Hope everyone is doing well.

At some point I have about 600 posts or so to catch up on....yikes...

As a side note, I decided to purchase a K&N air filter for my wife's Protege. On a 200km round trip last weekend i drove the first half with a brand new Mazda paper filter. On the way back, i dropped in the new K&N and wanted to see if I actually noticed a difference.

My thoughts....
    - The throttle response is a little improved down low, and is fairly significant beyond 5,000rpm.
    - Don't notice any significant difference in engine sound up to about 4,000rpm. After that rpm point, the engine seems to be a little less laboured and has a deeper bass growl during acceleration.
    -I wouldn't say the car is any faster, or if it is, it is extremely minimal at best. However, the car is more responsive to throttle when the K&N is installed.
    Good to hear from you! Thanks for the info on the K&N filter...I've been looking at getting one, and I probably will after your's, Ashu's and H's favourable responses on the filters.
    Yeah, I had noticed that we hadn't heard from you in a while...welcome back.

'Swamped with work'?

Please provide an explanation for the dumb girl.
    Keep....never mind....that's getting old.
    Go check out the Yahoo group photo now. I barely got finished I was laughing so hard.

Pat ... I know maltb's posting of my photo "technically" violates the MA ... however, since that's MY page, I hereby give him permission to copy it here.

Meade
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    :)
    But why are you dissing me for that? I just got you out of sure receipt of a Pat-O-Gram.

You thilly thavage.

Meade
    Jettas CAN float.

BTW, is that a Euro Jetta? It has a black grill.
  • orcinmanorcinman Member Posts: 24
    Just wanted to see what all the commotion in this thread was about.

All this for a compact car, albeit a good one? Good lord.
    Meade

Lord of the Yahoo! mazdaprotege group
    It was the Jetta I had to "build" on the Volkswagen USA site this morning. I initially went around the Net trying to find pics of a white Jetta, but I couldn't find any. Must not be a very photogenic color. All I could find were blacks, reds, blues and silvers. I had to go and build this one to get a pic of a white one.

Meade
    I didn't think Jetta's had black grills unless the actual car was black?
    Seriously, we're kind of like a family here with a common interest. In fact, we always seem to be getting into trouble because, like any family, we tend to squabble once in a while over completely trivial stuff. But we all love our Proteges -- we even have some members who have bought other cars but still hang out and talk about Proteges here. If I may speak for the group, let me welcome you. Any questions or comments (well, *almost* any) are welcome!

Meade
    Scroll up a few posts to see a great pic...then you'll see what goes on here in this forum :D
    It might just be the angle at which the pic was taken. It's almost edge-on -- a little from below -- maybe the white slats just aren't showing up too well from that angle.

Meade
    Go ahead and post my updated pic if you'd like. I give you permission.

Savage.

Meade
    Newcar: My Jetta has a body-color grille. All them here in the US do, from what I thought.

Meade: You could have at least installed the nicer wheels instead of those cheap looking plastic wheel covers when building the car. And you also did not ask permission to use my photo (of my face, no less) in the pic.
    If I may speak for the group,...

No, not for me at least. :)

Orcin, welcome dude.
    I actually think the black grill looks nice. It makes it look like an older Passat. I like it.
    For truly capturing the spirit of our family atmosphere for our visitor.

PFFFFFHHHHTTTTT.

Meade

(P.S. Thanks for posting the pic. Pat may decide to delete it, but I betcha she'll be laughing her butt off as she does so. BTW, the pic of Paul is from MAPP II last October.)
    They actually sell chrome strips for the grille in the Jettas. I think they look dumb though. And the black grille makes the car look like just another cheap imported car. Those mesh ones look especially cheap looking.
    That photo is hilarious!! :)

Mike,

I'm fairly impressed with the K&N air filter. I went into it with a completely open mind and have noticed some favorable results. In a normally aspirated engine like the Protege, that is without a specialized cat-back freeflow exhaust or cold intake, I didn't really expect to notice any difference. The Pro is just a little more responsive now.

Dale,

Swamped with work....hmmmm, could be defind as executive excrement that flows downhill and drowns the recipient.... I think that should help define it. :)

Thanks for the welcome back. :)
    That's MY photo, bud.

Meade
    i love it. absolutely hilarious!
  • nfprofannfprofan Member Posts: 2
    Hi all. I just bought a new Protege (LX 2.0) and I've heard a lot of hype over the K&N Filters. Just wondering if anybody has actually seen any positive results in power or fuel economy with a K&N filter.
    scroll up a few posts...Gandalf17 just posted his thoughts on his K&N filter.
    BTW, congrats on the new purchase
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    BPI quoted me here:

Only three days ago you said, "This aside, the Protege is THE perfect car."
    But then you also said, "May I suggest that you buy a two-year-old Protege--they are out there for less than you think and it may actually cost less than a fully-loaded Rio."
    Someone telling someone else to buy a 2-year-old Pro while dumping his own. Sounds like a Merrill Lynch stock analyst.

My Response:

I still contend that a used Protege is the PERFECT car and it is a better choice than a new Kia Rio. Many cars that I have traded or sold have been very good cars and I sold them with some regret. Being that they depreciate quickly, the Protege is also an inexpensive used car, too. So, none of what I have said is dishonest as you implied with your stock broker comment. I am not "dumping" my Protege as you put it. If you saw my previous posts you will see that I have discussed trade-in values with other people in this forum. I am selling my manual Protege (which I prefer to the automatic) out of necessity. I plan on taking the money and buying, you guessed it, a two-year-old Mazda Protege with automatic which my wife will use to get to work. I will then drive our four-year-old Nissan (that has half the miles of my current Mazda)--it has a manual transmission, too. I do not like automatics nor have I ever but I must put this aside to accommodate my wife who, due to nerve damage caused by steroids (she had a pancreas/kidney transplant)she can no longer feel the clutch pedal.

BPI, when I asked for comments and suggestions, I meant I wanted some input about the listing. Instead, you chose to attack me.

It is the likes of you, BPI, who have made the Mazda forum the nasty place that it can be.
    don't know about the little exchange that took place there, but I, for one, am truly sorry to hear about that Curt. It's pretty obvious that you made the right decision and I wish you and your wife the best.

Just like some others that do not own a Protege, I have never felt unwelcome here. However, watch out for that Meade fellow. :)
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    Maltb... you have been helpful as have a few others in this forum. I do not want to make a blanket judgement about anyone posting here. However, it seems like the place gets a little mean spirited; it seems like the moderator has to jump in more often than in other forums. I should not be so thin skinned...

I am on my way to the Mazda lot right this minute--they have a handful of 1999-2001 Proteges sitting on the lot--one ES model with auto that has really caught my eye.
    H, you should see if you can buy Curt's car...then you could still drive a Pro at the autoX. Then again, the 240 SX would be fun.

Dale...from group hugs to busting knee caps? Yikes!
    Busting kneecaps??? Me? Why, wherever would you get an idea like that???
    Yeah....you're not as quick on the delete button as you think... :P
    Nice job playing matchmaker!

Hank, meet Curt. Curt, this is Hank.
    Well, it seemed like the issue was over, so didn't want to beat a de....well, you know what I mean.