Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    "Sorry, but I would think using both would make for an even safer install."

Do I have to inscribe it on your head with a hot soldering iron? YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE BOTH! Doing so, according to the manual, makes the seat less safe! Geesh! Why are you arguing with me about this? The LATCH/Isofix system REPLACES -- NOT COMPLEMENTS -- the seat belt attachment!

Do you wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher too?

Meade
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Been there, done that. I was driving my 1988 Aries and the brakes went out, because I ran the pads down so far that the caliper was sliced. I lost brakes at about 45mph, and about 8 miles from home. I drove the rest of the way home too, and made it fine. The scariest moment was when this car cut me off. I got stopped my locking up my back wheels. Next time, I will park the car and have it towed. :) Also, I won't let the brakes get down that low either. :)
    I understand what you are saying, you doofus. I said that you would THINK that using both would make the seat safer. Not the opposite. Get a grip!
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    >>>Do you wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher too?<<<

I always have a tiff with my wife on this matter... she wants to clean em and put it in the dishwasher...???? why do I need the dishwasher then??
    Keep up! :)
    That's just an all around waste of energy to rinse the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher. What the hell did I buy a dishwasher for if I have to rinse the dishes? My dad does that sometimes, and it just infuriates me. It's unnecessary, and a waste of energy and money too.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Oh if only I were going to MAPP...Splash!!
    but your brakes failed because of U....

mine failed because of the grease monkey who had an idiot for a supervisor...

think I will trust those service chains again?
    "Sorry, but I would think using both would make for an even safer install."

Do I have to inscribe it on your head with a hot soldering iron? YOU ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO USE BOTH! Doing so, according to the manual, makes the seat less safe! Geesh! Why are you arguing with me about this? The LATCH/Isofix system REPLACES -- NOT COMPLEMENTS -- the seat belt attachment!

Do you wash the dishes before putting them in the dishwasher too?

Meade
    Don't mind if I do...

Wake up Meade! :)
    I have purchased THREE child safety seats in a year's time -- one rear-facing one for Sean when he was first born, and more recently two forward-facing convertibles to use until he reaches 80 pounds. I have read the magazines, done the comparos, read ALL the instructions (I always do) -- heck, we even attended a child safety seat CLASS at our hospital (a two-night class) before Sean was born!

Tell me, Mr. Child Safety Seat expert -- how many children do you have? How many child seats have you purchased? How many instruction manuals have you read? How many classes have you taken?

Please temper your expertise with experience.

Meade
    Very interesting. I didn't post it twice! Edmunds has been screwed up all morning -- it appears it's even more screwed up than we thought!

Meade
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Please see post #12312.
    Please see post 2016 in the Yahoo! group.

Meade
    ...anybody driving anywhere interesting in their PROTEGE?

I'll start off:

Driving out to the burbs for the first-ever Chicago-Area Protege Picnic. Even though the weather forecast is WAAAAAAAAAY bad, a few of us are going to stand around in the rain and admire each other's very wet rides. For me, it will be an experience not unlike driving through the car wash :)

Anybody else?

--Dale
    I will be driving to Virginia, Washington DC, and Baltimore, but in my VW. :) Next weekend, it's DC and then New Jersey. No wonder I have so much mileage already. :)
    No joke!
    D.C. and Baltimore are no more than 50 miles from each other, and D.C. and Virginia butt up to each other. That's like you saying you'll be going to Chicago, Indiana and Lake Michigan, Dale. How far into VA are you going, Paul? You know I'll be very upset if you ever pass through Richmond and don't let me know about it ... I wouldn't want to have to push your Jetta into the James River too!!! ;-)

To answer Dale's question: We're packing the P5 full of "junque" and taking it to a ... YARD SALE Saturday morning. It's our homeowner's association's "spring cleaning" community yard sale. I'm not a yard sale person -- but if I can make a few hundred bucks from a bunch of browsing weirdos, I guess it's worth it to stand in a parking lot for four hours.

Meade
    Number one, you used my title. :) Just kidding.

I know, they are not that far apart. I didn't wanna feel left out though. :)

I am going to be passing through Richmond in July. I am driving to NC for my dad to see our relatives (ugh). I will be with him, and we are leaving late at night though (like 10pm or something) and driving all night to go down. On the way back, I might have to give you a call or something to stop and say hello. That's not until July 5th or something when I will be coming back though.

My next big trip after NJ and the MAPP III is going to be driving to Chicago for Memorial Day weekend. I am probably not going to take the Jetta on that one though, because I don't wanna put all those miles on my car. Maybe I will get lucky and have to take my car to the shop or something, and get a loaner for the trip. :) Just kidding.

Oh, and I am going to Florida in October as well. Then New York for Christmas.
    welll u certainly have lotsa time.... if only I could..... wish....wish...

drive carefully in the night.....
    "Nice save" from what?

Meade
    I'm off to zoom over to my dad's house to pick up a folding table for the yard sale. (Yeah, Protege often has to do double-duty as wanna-be pickup truck.) Then I'm gonna zoom home -- at least as zoomy as I can in our rush-hour traffic. And you don't need to say how much worse yours is than mine, Paul ... been there, done that, had the high blood pressure to prove it (not anymore). Hard to believe I'm staying in the same city yet driving 40 miles to get home from work today. Ah well, not too bad a day for it, I guess. Sunny and 64.

I'm really looking forward to MAPP III, y'all ... 20 Proteges and 30+ people ... this oughta be great. Keep talking it up on the other Protege forums you hang out on!

Meade
    I drive 37 miles to and from work everyday, but I don't let traffic get to me. Driving is one of my favorite things to do. No matter what car I am driving, I have fun doing it. :)
    Interesting, Paul! My commute is 38 miles to and from! What a coincidence!

Meade
    I try to make it a point to see at least one new city/place per year. I have too, every since 2000. I went to Wildwood, NJ and San Diego, Ca. that year as well as Lexington, Ky. In 2001, it was Atlantic City, NJ and the Poconos. In 2002 thus far, it's been New York City and will be NJ and Chicago to come.

Some of the places (like Ky.) might not be famous or very interesting to some people, but it's all about seeing different places to me.

I also wanna do 2 things at some point in my life (I have alot of time, because I am only 23). I wanna drive the Autobahn, and I wanna drive across the entire US as well. We shall see. :)
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Going to make a business trip to Clinton Twp next week. I hope they don't take potshots at my Protege when I drive through Detroit. Maybe they'll remember Ford owns a third of Mazda?

Anyhoo, all I remember from my last trip up there are the potholes. I was warned by my hosts to gas-up before going through Detroit. Eek. Wonder what that means?
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I'm skipping CAPP this year. I hope the weather turns out nice to spite the meteorologists. :)
    Detriot is not one of the safest cities on the planet. Maybe that's what they mean.
    It's very likely we'll have another meet later this spring/summer.

I'll keep you posted.
    thanks for sharing your aspirations....I pray that they come true.

Have a great weekend.
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I hope you find the car that you want. Good luck!
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    "Someone like Britney Spears doesn't have any integrity to maintain..."<<P>
    http://www.motortrend.com/news/news_f.html
  • jamhjamh Member Posts: 11
    It's a red Pro ES with sunroof and 6-cd changer. I am going over to the dealer to sign the contract and get car now. The only thing I don't like is that it has over 200 miles on it, kind of making me feel like I am not getting my "first brand new car". But I will get over it once I drive it probably. I don't really understand why they equip it with a $500 6-cd changer but not the $650 ABS/side-airbag package, since the car already has a standard cd player. It just doesn't make sense to me. But, it seems this car is what they want to sell to me at a better price. So, I will try to use the hell out of the 6-cd changer to get my money's worth. Good luck to me!
  • sarahnbuasarahnbua Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I just registered here. My dad (jbollt) recommended these boards to me, since I just bought a new 2002 Protege. I had a '96 before, but it was time for a new car.

Anyway, I'm having a problem . . . I got the car with the factory alarm system, the keyless entry and everything, and the proximity sensor is sooo sensitive! I live in an apartment complex, so there aren't garages or anything, and my alarm goes off two or three times a night just from people driving by, sometimes just from the wind. I talked to the salesperson I bought the car from, at the dealer, and he talked to service, and they talked to Mazda, and he called me back and said as far as any of them know theres no way to change the sensitivity.

Have any of you encountered this problem? Any way to fix it? Maybe there's a way to just turn off that feature of the alarm or something?

I'd appreciate any help anyone here can provide. Thanks a bunch!

Sarah
  • number42number42 Member Posts: 67
    I also have the factory alarm on my '02 LX. I also garage it in an apartment complex. AFAIK, I have not had a problem with it, with cars going by, but in my case only about 2-3 cars go near it, one an old land yacht, the other an old maxima. the garage is indoors so I get no wind. The only thing is, sometimes when I unfold the mirrors, it will trigger the alarm.
  • rbrooks3athomerbrooks3athome Member Posts: 31
    Anyone changed it before? Please don't tell me it's in the back like on the 80s Prelude! I'm going to take off the plastic belly pan and see if it's on the passenger's side by all the accessory and drive pulleys.
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    Rbrooks, take a look in your user's guide. The guide for my 2000 LX (1.6L) gives pretty clear location instructions. I know in my car the filter is located at the "back" of the engine, near the firewall, about halfway between the top of the engine and the ground. I assume that you have the 2.0L instead.
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    is at lower rear of engine, slightly towards the passenger side (unapproachable from above). Not difficult to reach from below, but the OEM filter does not have the same flutes as Purolator, etc., so may require a strap wrench or the like to remove.
  • curt3curt3 Member Posts: 101
    The 2.0L is made by Ford, right? With a little effort, I'm almost 6'5" so I have long arms and I can access the filter on my 1.6L from the top. Does the 2.0L require you to remove any plastic housing if you do access it from the bottom, and if so, what kind of time is involved. I'm in the process of finding an automatic Protege to replace my manual tranny model--I would like to stick to the Japanese-made motor, if possible.
  • jamhjamh Member Posts: 11
    Hi everyone, I just went to get my new red Pro ES. I drove it for half an hour now, and I absolutely love it. I got it from Parks Mazda in Highpoint,NC for a very good price. Ask for the salesperson Aubery. He is very nice and helpful. It didn't take long for him to finish all the paper work and hand me the keys. Just tell them James Huang referred you to them. If you have question about my new car buying experience, I will come back in here later tonight.
    I am a Protege owner now too!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks!!
    Congratulations and welcome to the club. Zoom Zoom Zoom !
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Another one of those: "Welcome to THE club!"

I'm sure you'll take the long way home and just find useless reasons to take it for a spin :)

Dinu
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    http://toprotege.com

Look at the top right for "message boards".

Really cool TO site.

BTW, passed by Rodick Rd. today. Wanted to get an FRS radio from Business Depot across the street and saw the Lucent building.

I know where you work and how to get there! So what now?

Dinu

>>>I'm sure you'll take the long way home and just find useless reasons to take it for a spin :)<<<

I am preparing for my mid-term right now and all i can keep thinking is an " excuse" to go out and take a spin ;)
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    I have 2002 LX 2.0 L engine. I can only barely see the oil filter from above, no way can it be reached from above. However, from below, nothing needs to be removed to access the filter. Did I understand your question? Engine made by Mazda in Japan I'm sure.

I drive up on resin (plastic?) ramps called Rhino Ramps, much better than those metal ramps which require extensions in order for the front skirt to clear.
    Congratulations, James!
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I just hope I'll be getting mine soon:)

Tom
    ...said Dinu.

Tim: be afraid.

Be very, very, afraid.

:)
  • f4jf4j Member Posts: 7
    Bought a new 2001 (last of inventory) ES with moonroof.
    Didn't discover during test drive,but at high wind speeds with cross wind or head wind, there is a loud wind noise like a flute at a high note.
    (Will discuss with dealer next week).
    Has anyone else had this? Can't isolate the area but seems be in the central area of the windshield or secondly, the moonroof.
    Can't see any abnormality, but I can't believe all Mazdas do this.
    Didn't measure the wind blowing today, but it was really a good one at least 20 mph. Going with the wind at 70, no noise. Cross wind or into the wind. High 'coke bottle' or flute noise.
    Any suggestion emailed to f9fmc@yahoo.com would be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Mark
    (New here. Haven't learned about searching past posts or faq's or anything)