Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    You're not being watched.

Raymond was just sending a wise-acre remark in my direction.

It's okay...you can all come out and post now.

:)

--Dale
  • mkarns1mkarns1 Member Posts: 14
    Hi All:

It's time to have my timing belt replaced and my trusted local mechanics are willing to do this for me, but in their research they are being told that there are two special Mazda tools needed for this procedure.

Are these tools really needed and what are they for?

Also, what all parts do I need to get: so far my list includes: timing belt, valve cover gasket, external belts.....

What am I forgetting? Thanks for your expert help.

M. Karns
    Hi All:

It's time to have my timing belt replaced and my trusted local mechanics are willing to do this for me, but in their research they are being told that there are two special Mazda tools needed for this procedure.

Also, what all parts do I need to get: so far my list includes: timing belt, valve cover gasket, external belts.....

M. Karns
    Hi All:

M. Karns
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    #14202 of 14204 '95 Protege 1.5 L Timing Belt Replacement Help by mkarns1 Jun 21, 2002 (06:50 pm)
    Hi All:

M. Karns
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Raymond was just sending a wise-acre remark in my direction

Wise-acre? Wow...that's a fairly substantial area to be wise...
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    For starters, what Larry (See post "No No No" above!) meant to say was, you should not hit refresh because that just posts another copy of your message!

I own 1 95 DX, and had the timng belt trplacement at 60K done by the local Mazda dealer. I liked the idea that they would do it within a day, offer me rides, and best of all - that they would warranty the job for 12/12000. So if the valves decided to collide (is the engine even an interference type) it would be their problem.

Sorry, can't help you with the parts, question, thought I'd tell you what I did.

I'm sure some of the knowledgeable regulars will respond (to your questions) on Monday.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I signed a lease on a car and after walking out of the dealer's realized that I was better off making it a purchase. In my opinion the finance guy misrepresented the comparison (lease vs purchase) but I'll admit I was dumb. I HAVE NOT TAKEN DELIVERY. I want to revoke the deal and change it to a purchase still buying it from the dealer. Are there any grounds for the dealer to refuse my request to tear up the lease agreement and make it a purchase???
    I think that's a better question for the thread "Any Questions for a Car Dealer?". Try there and have some car dealers answer.

IMO, I don't think they'd have any trouble changing the agreement to a buy instead of a lease. Either way, they're making money. IMO, if they're a GOOD dealership, they shouldn't give you any hassles.

Let us know what happens!
    A reputable auto dealer would prefer you accept the agreed to terms. However, and this is a big HOWEVER; I'm very sure they will unwind the lease deal since you are unhappy and have "NOT TAKEN DELIVERY"! Ask to speak, to the General Sales Manager (call a-head and set up an appointment with him) be polite, but firm. It can't hurt to accept some responsibility, nonetheless make it crystal clear to him that you will not lease this vehicle, PERIOD. They don't want or need a hissed off customer. Calmly, tell the General Sales Manager that you need his help to revoke the lease deal and change it to a purchase. Remind him you still intend to buy this vehicle from his dealership and if treated well, you will score the CSI Evaulation Survey very favorably. Ask him to finish the financing part of the deal, as you no longer wish to work with their finance guy. Remember, stay calm, be firm, and treat them as you would want to be treated and they will unwind the lease agreement for you. BTW, don't tell me your buying another Ford or a VeeDub turbo-diesel? ;-)

Good Luck,
    Larry
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    The most important thing you said is that you did not take delivery of the car. The sale is not technically final until you get in the car and move it 1 inch after signing paperwork if my memory serves me correctly.
    Thanks for the advice. I believe there is a 3 business day waiver rule for just about any sale. I don't think they should give me trouble, but I'll go to the GM of sales as suggested. I am so embarassed that I signed this deal. I realized the minute I walked out of there the stupidity that I committed but it was too late to go back since they had closed. As regards the car it is a Hondan ACCORD-4cyl EX with leather and spoiler for 21,550(total with tax). NOT FOR ME. My daughter's buying it with my cosign. Could not talk her into a Pro which is really what she needs. However I will say she rejected a Camry because it 'didn't handle like your car dad'. What can I say. My PRO ES 2001 is now at 11000 trouble free miles and as solid as the day I bought it. Still drive the diesel (240+K). Thanks for the posts, I'm still reading in here...
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Sheesh, I'm trying.

Just looked out and saw my neighbor washing his pickup and his wife's Jetta. We are under a water restricted use program, NO WASHING cars -- $200 fine. It's near 90 out there and this guy is collecting disability for a bum knee -- can't work, yeah right.

Anybody know how to dryclean a car?

That Focus pic posted way back, what an ugly car and in an ugly color! Those Mazda6 colors don't tell us much and Mazda's color-pickers aren't the sharpest. They have one or two people do that.

What are your color choices? List the seven best colors you have ever seen on cars. Include interior trim colors to go with them.

My selections:
    Cobalt Firemist Blue Metallic w/Medium Blue trim
    Champaign Mist Metallic (lighter than Sand) w/Bergandy trim
    Chestnut Metallic (dark red) w/beige trim
    Silver Metallic w/Light Burgandy trim (on a BMW M3)
    White w/Red trim
    Black Metallic w/Red or Beige trim
    Dark Green Metallic w/beige trim

fowler3
  • austinnerdaustinnerd Member Posts: 4
    And I absolutely love it!

It's a base model with A/C, AM/FM-CD, PS, 5 speed. No power locks or windows.

I thought long and hard about this purchase before finally making it. My experience with new cars has been an '85 VW Jetta, '89 Chevy S10, 2000 Mazda B2500 and now this. All manual tranny. Have owned used BMW, Datsun/Nissan, Toyota, Ford, Chevy, VW Beetles and one Mercedes-Benz diesel. Basically, I purchase for the long haul. In fact, I traded the '89 Chevy S10 in on the Protege'. Had owned the truck for nearly 1/3 of my life.

I love the acceleration and handling. The quality isn't exactly what I was expecting (doors seem a little thin). Was playing a CD today and it skipped on the first song whenever I went over bumps in the road. After the first song, it was fine though.

What motivated my purchase was a number of factors. The auto is made in Japan. The feedback I gleaned from this discussion board helped to more or less solidfy my decision. And the reputation/warranty along with the test drive sealed it. Had strongly considered a new Sentra. However, I'm so pleased with this auto so far.

Questions for the group here:

1.) How has the Protege' performed for you on long trips? For example, fuel economy, handling, comfort. Beginning next year, I'll be making trips from Central Texas to East Tennessee about twice yearly. Typically non-stop going out (about 1200 miles).

2.) Have you had any major problems while under warranty? How about once the warranty expired?
  • geckophgeckoph Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

I have a problem with my left hip that is aggravated by the upward sloping edges of my 2002 ES seats (I have a similar problem with many office chairs) Has any one found a a need, or a way to "flatten" the seat bottom cushion? I am currently using a folded towel, but it does not look or work great. My next thought is a custom made cusion from some dense foam rubber.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Cheers
    Geckoph, I agree a custom made cushion is the way to go. Good luck! Fowler, can you help Geckoph?

-old head
    Paul, welcome to this board! You made a great choice. I'm sure you will enjoy the road trips from Texas to Tennessee. I get about 27 mpg in my 2000 Mazda 1.8liter PRO-ES, that is mostly highway driving. BTW, I own 2 of em and I love my Protege's! Good luck, my friend and please keep on posting on this board!

-larry
    The Honda Accord 4cyl EX with leather and spoiler for $21,550, out the door is a great price on an excellent vehicle. Your daughter's is buying a safe well screwed together sedan. BTW, the Honda Accord does look nicer/sporter than the Camry, IMHO.

-larry
    James, I was always fond of the Eggplant Purple with the Aqua/Teal pinstripe look of the 1995 era Hyundai Accent. If I remember correctly, they came standard with red and blue plaid rubbery leatherette seats. I very sweet ride. I'm sure they commanded top box trade value, when their owners drove them in to the Ford Dealership to trade-in on a new orange 2000 Ford Focus, hehe.

love train
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I'm glad to have a car I don't have to worry about breaking down. It's not as fun to drive as the Pro but my mom insisted that I get something a little bigger and less sporty. I couldn't refuse the deal that I was offered: almost $4k off MSRP. It wasn't without problems, though. When I took it home, I noticed a dark liquid leaking from the left side of the car all over my driveway. I called the dealer and they told me to bring it in early the next day. I did and it turned out to be a damaged power steering hose. Oh well, no car is perfect, not even a Honda. It had 3 miles when I got it and it now has 200.

Paul-No, unfortunately I've never owned a Pro so I traded in my '91 Acura Legend for it. They only gave me $2k for it but that's okay considering how beat-up the car was. Faded paint, cracked windshield, rust, transmission problems, no AC and some minor body damage still got me $2k.
    Sure some Pros have rattles, but I've never heard of ANY pro owner getting their car replaced because of said rattles. Do I think that's because Mazda sucks? NO. I think it's because they can easily remedy the problem in such situations.

Meade fixed a rattle he had with no troubles, IIRC.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Have you tried adjusting the tilt angle of the seat cushion? I think this is standard on LX and ES trim levels (this includes the P5, which is an ES trim level vehicle). Lowering the front or raising the rear of the seat cushion should reduce the pressure behind your knees.

On long trips, I find my 99 LX (with a 1.6L engine) to be quite comfortable. Not as cushy as an Accord, Camry etc., but quiet enough for an "economy" car. Bumps are harsher than in something more softly sprung like a Corolla or Focus, but that's the compromise I made for the better handling (Focus is too tippy in the twisties for my taste). I yield about 34-38mpg on the freeway, depending on speed, continuity (stop-n-go or just plain go) and hilliness (is that a word?).

Typical long trips are "day" trips to Detroit and back, which is about 4.5 hours each way for me. I don't feel tired from sitting and driving. I take breaks about every 2 hours, although I hear that hourly breaks are better for longer, multi-day distances.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    It's actually the same kind of rattle you all talked about. It's not a big deal, because this car is not mine.

Of course, it could be weeks that I am driving it, since I have not heard anything yet regarding my (POS) Jetta yet. I sent a certified letter to HQ about the car, we shall see what happens from there.
    Check your Yahoo mail...I sent you an email on some info I got...I think it's old news to you anyway, but thought you might be interested.
    "but my mom insisted that I get something a little bigger and less sporty."
    by th83

and test drive a Mazda.
    Driving down the highway, zoom zooming, with the CD and the AC going, in my Seabreeze Green 2002 Protege DX....

(It's mine, temporarily anyway).. :)
    Paul don't ya mean to write "Life is good", not "life was good"?
    Oops, you are right. I meant life was good this morning on the way to work, so it's kinda in the past. But I see what you mean. I guess it could be written either way.

The Outback I had before got a chip in the windshield from an SUV on Saturday. My insurance company is paying for the repair though, so that's good. This is my 2nd comp claim in a year though, so I hope they don't drop me for it. :(
    I did think the Accord was a good deal. We came close to making a deal at the first place I went to for 1,000 more. They are apparently making some good deals at this dealer. I was offered the deal in the lot without any bargaining. I have never driven an Accord so I'm looking forward to making the comparison with the PRO. I know it's not as quiet as the Camry and you can feel the bumps on the road. BTW, after first denying he could do anything about changing my lease to a purchase, the finance guy called me back later and said he would stop it. I still think my daughter should have bought a PRO, considering it's a first car
    I am here to verify that some Proteges do come with rattles. This one must have the driver's door panel loose or something (has 2300 miles on it, and it's a 2002). When I press against the door panel, the noise stops. So I guess it's just loose. I will deal with it though, considering all the drama I have been through with cars these past couple weeks. :)
    I think she would have bought a Protege as well, but young people these days want more expensive, safer, and nicer cars. Also, the Accord is very reliable as well. It should carry her well through alot of her life.
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Sounds like you got quite a deal on that Accord. I really like the EX 4cyl 5sp cars. Good thing you bought one now instead of waiting for the 2003. In the words of a VTEC.net member, it looks like a turd that has vomitted on itself. Lol.
    I checked my email like 3 times since you posted that, and I have not gotten anything. You sure you sent it to the right address?
    The 2002 DX loaner I have has automatic and about 2300 miles on it. It feels faster than I remember my 2001 ES being, I guess because of less weight from components. What is the weight difference between a 2002 DX and a 2002 ES? Just wondering.
    I sent it to the email posted on the yahoo website. Is that different that your regular email?
    The one in my profile here is the same thing. Lanhamdata@yahoo.com is the one to send it to.
    That's the one I sent it to. Not sure what happened...I'll try again.
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    Pardon me for barging in, but as a mostly lurker on this board i am familiar with the issues with your Jetta. I fully and deeply sympathize. I had to take VW to lemon law in 2001, and found them to be underhanded, two-faced liars in every facet of the process. Although I won my case, I learned a lot about VW as a corporation, and to this day still receive "time for an oil change" letters from them because the VW rep was too embarrased that he lost to report it to HQ! Don't trust a word you hear from VW, ever. I can't begin to describe the personal attacks I received from them once we got into arbitration..

Anyway, i listened to friends and C&D, went to Mazda, and my P5 has been flawless. Get a stick and you won't miss that turbo. I sure don't. Good luck.
    I don't even wanna think about that right now, but I know it's going to come to that. I had a 2001 perfectly good Protege, and I traded it because I always have wanted a Jetta. And boy, did I get a Jetta! :( I don't know what I want if they take this car back though.

If you could email me (click on my username to see the email) and tell me more about your experience, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks. :)
    Sorry for interrupting the thread with my VW business. I apologize, but I am trying to get some help here. :)

I do like my Protege DX loaner though. Maybe I will tell them I am keeping it.. :)

Just kidding. The only Pro for me would be the ES or P5.
    I just checked my email two minutes before typing this, and nothing from you. I don't know what's going on.
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Paul, perhaps the VW 1.8T is not really as powerful as you think it is (check the acceleration numbers) and so you now feel the 2002 DX (which has the same 2.0 engine as your old 2001 ES) is plenty powerful for your needs!

Although I'm sure the lack of (and consequent weight reduction due to absence of) PD, PL, and some other features may make the DX a bit (100+ lbs?) lighter than the ES. This should, however, be compensated by the lightweight alloys (relative to the steel wheels) contributing to less unsprung weight.

Curiouser and curiouser!
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    Good luck with whatever happens. I'll email you with details in the next few days. Swamped here with work and family right now.
    Thanks alot, I definitely appreciate it. I am planning to call my lawyer tomorrow. They had the car a week today and nothing yet, so they can keep it now.
    The 1.8T has alot more power than the 2.0 does, but one thing I realize I don't like about it is when you are driving in traffic, it's kind of a pain in the butt. The turbo comes in at 1950rpm, which makes for a pretty jerky ride in stop and go traffic that I deal with everyday.

I knew the DX was lighter (and also knew it had the same engine), but I thought it still felt more spry than my ES did.

Also, I like not having to put up the front seats when people ride in the back of the Protege, like I have to in the Jetta.

I did notice, however, that this DX starts to shake on the highway around 85mph or so. My Jetta doesn't so that, and my 01 ES did not either. However, my 1999 DX did. Maybe it has something to do with the wheels or something? I don't know.
  • gladicheckedgladichecked Member Posts: 93
    I made 3 500+ trips in my 2000 Pro ES (auto) in the last month and it has been quite comfy. I have averaged about 32mpg, and that includes going thru the Appalachin and Smokey mountains. That also includes some serious zooming for stretches (80+ mph), which isn't condusive to optimal mileage. I did have a problem arise with my voltage regulator during one of the trips, but I had it fixed under warranty before it caused any major problems.

Larry,

Did I read somewhere you live in TN now? Just wondering, because I just moved to Nashville.
    Naah, I took a job with Cracker Barrel Restaurant and Old Country Store and I trained in Lebanon, TN for 4 weeks last month. I have heard the Nashville area is very nice and the cost of living is very reasonable! I will tell you the Nashville Airport is excellent! BTW, if you meet Martina McBride down in Nashville, tell her Larry from Cracker Barrels has a wicked crush on her.

Bryan, I'm glad your Protege is running right and the repairs were done correctly. Keep posting, my friend! ;-)

-Larry
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Good luck with VW. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a friend of mine who recently got a Jetta TDI. Hope he doesn't experience the issues you and riopelle did. Interior build quality seemed nice, and he's getting decent fuel economy (mid-40mpg).

Of course, we didn't help by piling in 5 guys (it was very crowded, but I managed to get into the front seat on the return leg) who weigh anywhere from 180 to 250 pounds each for a lunch trip. Oops. Should've figured we'd exceed the rated load for the Jetta, especially since we're all engineers. :P

Too overcome by new-car enthusiasm I guess. :)
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Sorry to hear about your Jetta problems. As I mentioned before, I had several severe problems with my 2000 GLX. It prompted us to trade it in on a 2001 Pro ES. The nicest thing I can say about the Jetta is that it held its trade in value well enough that we didn't have to pay sales tax on the new Pro.

Here is a relevant link just for you information:
    http://www.detnews.com/2002/autosinsider/0206/25/c04-522807.htm
  • lindathomp2000lindathomp2000 Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2001 Pro ES, standard transmission and we want to use it to tow a small sailboat (less than 1000 lbs). We had been using my husband's 1996 Altima but we sold that car. DO any of you use your cars for towing? What are your experiences?