Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    My 2001 Pro ES is starting to show significant tire wear at 14,000 miles. I expect to have to replace the tires by the end of the year. Has anyone else seen this type of wear on the Dunlop SP Sport 5000m?

Also, in looking at my replacement options, these are the models I am considering in the OEM replacement size:

Dunlop SP Sport 9000
    Dunlop SP Sport FM901
    Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
    Toyo Proxes T1-S

My options in plus zero size are these:

Dunlop SP Sport 9000
    Dunlop SP Sport FM901
    Kumho ECSTA Supra 712
    Pirelli PZero System Asimmetrico
    Sumitomo HTR Z II
    Yokohama Parada Spec-2
    Toyo Proxes T1-S

Any opinions concerning any of these tires and plus sizing would be appreciated.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I had 20K on my 2001 ES when I traded it, and the tires looked like the day I drove the car off the lot. I know I probably don't have to ask, but you have been rotating them and everything, right? I would call the manufacturer just for the heck of it and ask them why your tires are wearing so quickly. That makes no sense.
    I checked my Yahoo e-mail last night, and I just checked it like a minute before posting this note. Nothing from you yet. I usually have alot more email in my Yahoo box in the morning too, so maybe something's gone wrong with their server or something. I don't know.
    I rotate every other oil change. That makes it about 6000 miles between rotations, so twice so far. I get them balanced every second rotation (12,000 miles), so once so far. I check the tire pressure once a week. About the only thing I do that would effect treadwear negatively is take 90 degree turns at 40 mph in second gear, and that is only when there aren't any other people around.
  • mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    All turns scrub off more rubber than going straight. Just the physics of dragging a tires through a path they just don't want to naturally go through.

Of course, the more force (speed), the greater the wear. I notice more scrubbing on my tires after spirited driving than sedate driving. At least you have a differential up front and independent rears that reduce this effect.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    The Protege is not designed to tow anything. As the former owner of a 1,500-pound pop-up camper and a Mazda pickup that weighed significantly more (several hundred pounds more) than the Protege, let me assure you that a light-rear-ended front-wheel-drive economy car is NO tow vehicle. Even if you can get someone to install a hitch, it won't be bolted to anything other than unibody. There is no real "frame" to the car to take such a load. Also, since the rear of the car is so light, any tow problems such as trailer sway or a crosswind could upset the whole setup and cause an accident, which at the very least could damage the trailer and the car and at the most could kill you. The owner's manual says the car is not designed to tow a trailer. In the VERY least you'll void your warranty.

Meade
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Mazda has just announced 0% financing for 60 months on the Protege4 in the northeast!!!....I'm not sure about other regions.
    Whazzat?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    According to someone on the "Compact Car Wars" board on the Comparisons forum, you can get a brand new 2002 ES for $12,800. $12,800!!!! That has got to be wrong. Paul, are you listening?
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Because the Protege sedan and the protege5 (5door) is often confused as one vehicle....us in the mazda world refer to the sedan as the Protege4 (4 door).
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I just bought some Dunlop SP FM901's. They seem like a very good overall tire and I got them for a reasonable price ($69.00).
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    Did you get those on your Sebring Convertible or were you speaking of a Protege?
  • rbrooks3rbrooks3 Member Posts: 174
    My dealer called me on Sturday with the news. He thought it might get me into the auto and out of my 5spd. But, even with the 0% financing, it still doesn't make sense for me to do it. I'd give them my 02 with 6,000 and $1,000 down and my payment on the same car with auto becomes 333 from my current 277. I told him I appreciate the effort, but the problem with the math is I'm still losing 1/3 on trade in on what I paid in January for the car. You can't close the gap enough to make sense when my 16,666 ES is worth less than 11, 500 now. I could sell my 5 spd and break even on the loan, but that means I lose the 3,000 I put down.

But, if you are in the market, you just falt out can't beat 0% for 5 years on a very good car to boot.
    My credit would not qualify for that one anyway, but it would be totally awesome if it did.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Maybe it's grey market. Either that, or maybe it's not really "brand new." ;-)

Interesting grey market article here at Edmunds. It demonstrates yet another reason why it's important to carefully investigate any deal that seems too good to be true.
    Yeah, when I read that, I thought: "This has to be B.S." Too good to be true. If not, it would be worth the plane ticket to Minneapolis for anyone who wants an ES Protege.
    Read post 1083 on the Protege Problems discussion. Here's an excerpt from the post about this guy's '95 DX:

"Finally, the clutch pack in my a/c unit just went out the other day. I'm currently at 146K and plan on running the car up to 300K, so I'm going to bite the bullet and get a new a/c unit(compressor,clutch pack, etc.) for $500. Of course, the wholesale value of my car is only around $2000. But to me it is worth three times that as it's a great car."

21,000 miles a year for seven years and going strong!

Meade
    I can only hope that my A/C will last that long. Geez, 146K on the original A/C unit, that's pretty good. $500 ain't bad for the replacement either.
  • townhall9townhall9 Member Posts: 78
    I got a 0% loan, for 4 yrs, through Mazda Credit five months ago. I did all the negotiating by e-mail & phone. My dealer, "internet mgr" found my car at a dealership in the next state. The dealer paid a part time employee to drive it here. I drove my new ES home two days later. I love it. I moved up from an Accord. The 0% offer pushed me off the fence. I had been reading/studying/deciding for a long time. I made the right decision. Thanks, Edmunds, for the help.
  • jobotjobot Member Posts: 3
    12,800 for a new ES? in Minneapolis no less??? I will assume grey market...

i am strongly considering trading my unreliable and annoying '99 Sephia for a new Protege ES 5-speed. Found out about the refresh through reading this discussion last night. The car I've drive thus far has the golf-ball shifter, so I'm assuming it's "pre-refresh".

I noticed something on Mazda's site about ES models built after 2/28 having a six-speaker stereo. Did this coincide with the refresh?

Basically, any reason I should NOT get this particular car because it was made prior to 3/1? Or should I attempt to use my newfound knowledge to wrangle a few bucks off the sticker price???
    "12,800 for a new ES? in Minneapolis no less???"

I know, it sounds ridiculous. I wish someone could verify this. Is Minneapolis supposed to be a spendy place to buy a car?
    The mid-year refresh ones will say it in the "options" part of the sticker. They will also have the fender marker lights (by the side mirrors), so you know them when you see them. They add the 6-speaker radio, different cup holders, and the Sport automatic transmission (optional, of course). If it's worth it to you to get the refreshed one, then do it. If not, you could get an older one for less.

I drove the Sport automatic in a P5 on Saturday. This car also had the leather, which took forever to cool down (it was 100 here on Sat.). The AC needs to be a little more powerful, I think. But the Sport auto is really novelty, it doesn't help acceleration or anything like that. The only thing different from the regular automatic is a different torque converter.
    I would love to find that one! :) CarsDirect.com has them going for something like $13,500 with stick and no options though, just so you know (in the 21230 zip code, anyway).

And what do you all mean by grey market? I have never heard that expression before.
    Personally, I'd use the fact that I know the one you are looking at is pre-refresh (refresh for a 5-speed includes, IIRC, new side-marker lights, new component tweeters up front = the two more speakers, a leather shift knob, and a new wheel design) to get a better price vs a post-refresh. That's because I don't personally consider any of these items for the 5-speed refresh to be any big deal, so I'd rather save the money. You may disagree.

Correct me if I'm wrong on the refresh upgrades for a 5-speed, folks. Incidentally, the refresh brought a "sport shift" feature to the auto equipped pro's. If I wanted an auto, I'd consider this reason enough to go with post-refresh, I suppose. I'm with you on the 5-speed choice, though.

A pre-refresh car has been on the lot a while and the dealer will probably want to see it go. I should think you'd be able to beat Edmunds TMV by a bit, which is itself substantially more than a few bucks off sticker. I'd be looking right around invoice to start, minus any applicable rebates.

Just my two cents, of course.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I agree with dsm6. There's no real big diff between the "two" cars. If you intend to go with the 5spd, you could probably save some good money on the prefresh model. That's what I have and it's great. Besides, you could upgrade the speakers fron AND rear for the money you'd save with the prefresh car and still ahve some money left over.

If you want an auto, you owe it to yourself to at leats drive the sport auto to see if you'd prefer it over the standard place it in "D" auto of the prefresh.

Personally, I like the look of the prefresh wheels on th ES myself. Not much of a diff, but I like the twist effect on them.
    By am I suffering from typing dyslexia after reading my last post! or pots I should say.
    Really? Just curious - where'd you hear that?
  • jobotjobot Member Posts: 3
    dsm6, that sounds like a great idea. At this point we are still about $800 over TMV, but I know I'm getting more than bluebook on the trade. Then again I am kind of an audiophile.

There are two others on the lot with equivalent equipment. I think I might ask to check out the other two and make my decision then; at this point though I think I would rather drop the cost of the vehicle $800-$1200 than have two tweeters and cow parts on the shift knob.

I'll keep you posted either way...
    That's what the dealer told me. Of course, they don't know their rear ends from a whole in the ground sometimes. But he told me the torque converter is different than the standard automatic.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    paul??
    I'm a bit of an audiophile too. I haven't heard the new set up, but I know the old set up isn't so good. Poor quality speakers for sure. I'm guessing with the new tweeters, imaging is better and hopefully the highs aren't so dang tinny, but it still has that same weak head unit, and I'm guessing the new speakers still can't touch a good set of aftermarkets.

With a trade, I guess it gets more complicated - as I'm certain you know, many dealers will shuffle money between the new car and the trade. It seems like the pre-refresh should still give you some leverage vs. a post-refresh, though.

Good luck. Its a good car - I bought an 02 ES 5 speed in early March (pre-refresh). For reference (though my trade was right at blue book, which in may case meant next to nothing since it was old with high mileage), I got mine for $100 over invoice minus $2000 in rebates ($1500 + $500 grad, are they still offering the $1500 rebate?), and I live in the Front Range area of Colorado.
    I finally got your email. Thanks. I also sent back a response.
    After spending a week with a Matrix, we're convinced that it would be a satisfying choice for many people — it rides comfortably; it handles capably enough; it has plenty of room in the backseat for your friends (or your kids); and it provides a lot of flexibility for those whose interests require a lot of equipment. But the Matrix is not a thrill ride in and of itself, and we would discourage people living in temperate zones from buying an AWD model like our test vehicle.

Meanwhile, in the front-drive hatchback crowd, a vehicle like the Mazda Protege5 would certainly generate more of an endorphin release — unless of course you've decided on the 180-hp Matrix XRS — whereas at the XR level, the Matrix is about getting your friends and cargo to your destination with minimal hassle, discomfort and expense along the way and perhaps enjoying a tailgate party once you get there.
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    I have a "prefresh" P5 and the audio isn't wonderful, but it's pretty easy to upgrade to aftermarket speakers and add an amp, which makes a world of difference. I'd suspect the "refresh" P5 has the same underpowered deck, and still has crappy speakers, even if it now has components up front.
    Whatcha tryin' ta do ... SCARE us???

;-)

Interesting article.

Meade
    Thanks for restoring the links so that the Protege sedan and P5 chat boards are all on the same page again.
    I dispute Edmund's own article that the first thing to upgrade is the addition of an amp. I think upgrading the factory stock speakers is the first thing to do. I haven't (and don't plan to) added an amplifier and I'm very happy with my upgraded speakers. OK, I can't "pump up the volume" like the little boomsters with all the body cladding and whale-tails can, but the sound gets really muddy at that volume.

With separate drivers for separate speakers, sound is much clearer. Also, with larger and stronger permanent magnets, more of the same power coming from the head unit gets converted into noise, I mean sound (depending on your taste), instead of waste heat (just think of DC motors....cheap ones, like those in toy race track cars, consume lots of power with little output...ones with stronger magnets and/or more and finer windings put out more power at the same output speed with the same or even less input).
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Happy Birthday!!!

--Dale
    Happy Birthday to Paul,
    Happy Birthday to Paul,
    Happy Birthday even-though-you-own-a-Jetta,
    Happy Birthday to Paul!

;-)

Meade
    ... the Town Hall is now using Eastern (instead of Pacific) time on our posts? When did that take effect? (I like it, btw!)

Meade
    I put the car with "O/D off" and went on I-95.
    At60mph, it was at a RPM of 3300.
    What a rush of adrenaline with all that power at the wheels.
    Engine was going like "mmmmmmm....." no vibrations, no buzzing. Just pure revving fun with gobs of power...
    the engine felt extremely tight...no looseness which comes with the OD.
    It in fact also exhibited engine braking when I let go of the gas pedal....reminded me of my manual days....next car will be a manaul...no doubt about it.
    That RPM is close to my 5-speed -- but a little faster. I'm turning about 3,500 rpms at 70 mph in fifth gear. At 60 I'm doing more like 3,000 if memory serves me correctly. Yep, Mazda engines (the 1.8 at least) love to rev!

BTW, don't fall for that pseudo-"Tiptronic" transmission -- I hear it's nothing more than an automatic with a complicated electronic shifter. It still pauses before it shifts and gives you no more control than if you manually shift your automatic between gears.

Go simple. Go for performance and response. Go 5-SPEED!!!

Meade
    Thanks. With any luck, I might actually get my own car back to drive for my birthday. :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Happy B-day! :D
    Thanks! :)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
  • sunbyrnesunbyrne Member Posts: 210
    Aftermarket speakers are certainly the first and most important part, but the stock HU is badly underpowered. It doesn't matter how good your speakers are if the signal sent to them is clipping and has high THD, it still won't sound as all that great. Amps are not just for people who run subwoofers for big thumping bass; a modest amp will improve imaging and clarity by reducing harmonic distortion. I upgraded to aftermarket speakers and it certainly made a big difference, but so did adding a small 4-channel amp, which I did a few weeks later. (Note no subwoofer.) Though it certainly isn't everything, wattage does matter, and the stock HU ain't got much in that department.
    Not to mention the fact that you can ruin your fancy new speakers with that clipped, dirty signal from your overworked, underpowered stock head.