Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I just read the C&D article. Apparently the torque steer only raises its head when you stomp on the gas, not for "daily" driving. Of course, this is still not acceptable, and they recommend against doing that in congested traffic (like you could anyway).

Still, it'd be fun to try one out to gauge myself. Any volunteers? I'm sure the dealers will be very choosy about whom they let test-drive one of these. :)
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "The V8 muscle cars have lots of torque steer too."

Do you mean oversteer? It's not possible for a RWD car to have torque steer unless the rear wheels also did the steering.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    they recommend against doing that in congested traffic

While I understand what they(C&D) are saying, I thought this comment was really stupid. I think they must have pissed some other automakers off and taken heat with the original MP3 evaluation.
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    conducted tests on the BEST tuned Vipers, MB, Vettes in the same month.
    How do u expect them to like a lowly MS3 compared to 600hp supertuned viper?
    the top 1/4 portion of the gas tank actually has more fuel in it than 1/4 of a tank(thanks to mr.non linear gauge).

So filling up only 3/4 tankfull costs me around $9 or $10 as compared to $17 bucks for a full tank.

This makes my pro drive lighter especially with the AC on.

And how much time does it take to fill up? 3 minutes max with those automated credit card stations.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    But then you have to go and fill up sooner, right? I guess you don't drive long distances to work. I drive ~70 miles daily for work and pleasure, and have filled every car I have owned every 3.5-4 days or so (except weekends). If I did the 3/4 thing, it would be every 2 days. That would be annoying to me. :)
  • ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    If you think you have a non-linear gauge, come check out mine sometime!

As for quick fillups, use the Exxon/Mobil Speedpass . Shell is going to come out with something similar soon, but going by their past record of not admitting to contaminants in their fuel, I couldn't care less! Basically, this thing fits on your keychain, and has a credit card associated with it (you pick, any type) - you touch it to the SpeedPass sensor for like half a second, and fill up after choosing octane (wish it could remember that!)

Saves at least a few seconds over having to dig out your wallet, and a credit card from it, and swiping it - which again is a 50-50 thing, what with the always confusing orientation variations!

I always top up, and refill at around 200 miles (usually under 8 gallons for my car, unless I've Zoom Zoom-ed too much!)
  • notminehersnotminehers Member Posts: 42
    Have not posted in ages......work 4 blocks from the Port - see all the new Mazdas on the docks - what is supposedly sitting there?? Do I need to take my hidden camera??
    That's an awsome color that was available on the MP3 but isn't on the MS3. I'd actually consider switching from bright red or yellow to that.
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    At least where I live (Durham, NC), you can never tell who really refined the petroleum going into your vehicle, at least not by the name on the gas station.
    most gas stations are right off the road. unless u drive specially to a backroad "special" gas station, i think it makes sense, even every 2 days
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    OK, I just made the reservation for the DC Protege Meet. NOTE THE DATE CHANGE

Date: SEPTEMBER 28TH, 2002

oh yeah, this time, PROTEGES ONLY!!!!! >:o
    you can show up if you own ANY MAZDA :)
  • riopelleriopelle Member Posts: 132
    at least for the most part. Although even they were suprised by the extremity of it. It definitely outperforms the SE-R V and Jetta 1.8T. I would really enjoy a shoot out between a sprighty MS3 and evil Darth Jetta GLI.

I don't even dare floor my P5 in traffic, geez.

Anyone know if that $20,500 MSRP is real?
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I hereby officially release my copyright to the title, MAPP IV ... if you so desire.

Meade
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Return of the Dorks?
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    If I remember correctly, you took you wife's PRO for the 40.000kms svc? What does it include? Where did you take it? And finally, how much? Ok so this sounds like a bad clip from some cop-drama "made for TV"-type of show, but Baby's about to hit 41.000kms and I NEED to take care of it. That and I will have some $ in a week's time.

Thanx,
    Dinu
    Return of the Dorks > HE HE
    I don't think there is a 40 000 km service...it should be 12 month/24000 km or 24 months/48000 km, etc.

I think the only major things there, besides oil change, was air filter and spark plugs, but check the manual to verify.
    We had almost 20 Proteges of all trim levels and all generations at our last meet, and close to 30 folks. So nice to meet people face-to-face when you usually only know them by what they post.

Actually, if you're going to parody Star Wars titles concerning our meet, then get accurate:

MAPP I: The Edmunds Menaces

(We'll retroactively call MAPPs I, II, and III MAPPS IV, V, and VI.)

Meade

P.S. to Hank -- I'll be attending!!!
    glad you can join us meade!
    Meade, you're right. Since you named it MAPP IV, I should have come up with something like:

MAPP IV: A New Low
    or
    MAPP IV: No Hope
    "MAPP IV: RETURN OF THE JETTA"

;-)
    He missed MAPP III just because he "had a new job" and had to fly to Kentucky for "training." What a wimpy excuse!

C'mon Larry, here's your chance to entertain us all again and meet some new faces from MAPP III! And you already know a NICE hotel in the area ...

Meade

Now, about Dale coming ... ?
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    be consistent. That's MAPP VI
    Malt, you're so mean.

Meade
    You beat me to it. Nice catch!
    Upset because you're losing the debate with me on the Photo Gallery discussion?

Sore loser!

Meade
    How can you call it "Return of the Jetta" when the Jetta never came yet? :)
    Ha Ha! Sounds like you're sore, not me!
    Would it REALLY sound like a Star Wars-based title if I called it:

"MAPP IV: The Jetta's First Appearance?"

Oh, wait a minute, that's right. You're too young to remember Return of the Jedi. It came out when you were in diapers and eating strained peaches, right?

I'll just pray you'll be able to make it this time and you won't be driving another loaner New Beetle, Passat, Golf, Protege, etc. while your Jetta's broken ... again.

Do me a favor and stop those 100-mph drag races on the Beltway like the one you had yesterday. Keep that thing out of the shop and bring it to MAPP!

Actually I'm wondering if I'll ever get a chance to see your car. I read your post yesterday about being at the magical 19,000 miles after 8 months again ...

;-)

Meade
    The Jetta's all fixed up, it's been running fine since I picked it up at the end of July, when I had the drama at the dealer. I don't plan to ever go back to the dealer with it anyway, unless something breaks that's covered and it's affecting the performance of the car.

Funny face. :) No, I am not getting rid of the car anytime soon. And I don't even wanna hear the comments, save them. :)

I am not bringing the VW. The posts said if you don't have a Mazda, you are not invited. I only have a Mercury or a VW, no Mazda here. :(
    You KNOW I was only joking about a new car. C'mon, this is our home discussion ... don't get all upset. It was a joke and I'm not going to continue, and you know it.

Second ...

DON'T call me "funny face."

Third ...

The only reason I brought up MAPP and your car is because Hank already defaulted on his rule and invited one of his friends in Pennsylvania who will be driving an Altima ... so I figure it's wide open now.

There, that proves our friendship. You wouldn't have found out he dropped the vehicle requirement if I hadn't told you.

The rest of you can kill me later.

Meade
    Wil did!!!!!! and it's Wil's buddy!!!!! >:O

but I will take the requirement change into consideration... >:D
    I know you were kidding. I was pretty much calling you "smart a**", but typed "funny face" instead. That's what I meant. :)

Secondly, after the way you all worked me about what happend at the dealer a couple weeks ago, I am surprised you would turn around and invite me to the MAPP.

And third, I might not be able to attend. I am considering taking on a different PT job that might require some weekend work. I will know more later though.
    Good to see that M and P!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    It sure would be nice to be able to attend, but I won't be able to make it this time...the school year has begun, and I need to actually go to work or something.

Try to have fun without me!

--Dale
    follow this link:

http://www.protegenetwork.org/chapters/DC/mapp4.htm

If you know you are attending PLEASE fill the form out as complete as possible.

Pretty much anything you'd want to know is on that page. It lists the location, how to get there, how much it will cost, and a list of who is going with their contact information.

enjoy! :D

I was just looking thru a Road & Track mag that I had at my desk and they gave a BRIEF explanation of their tests. Here's what they had to say in regards to G's and slalom:

"Handling:
    Handling tests evaluate a test car's abilities in other than a straight line. Lateral Acceleration around a skidpad measures the steady-state-lateral grip a car can generate. The result is reported in g's calculated using the average of the best timed laps, clockwise and counterclockwise, around a 200-ft.-diameter circle.
    Balance is subjectively evaluated by the test driver. Speed through a 700-ft. slalom is a test to analyze a car's lateral grip capabilities in transient state where it needs to weave through a series of eight cones spaced 100 ft. apart. The car is timed as it threads through the course and an average speed in mpg is calculated. The car's Balance in this exercise is also rated by the test driver. "

Hope that helps!
    but i still am not clear regarding g's.
    why don't they indicate the speed attained while achieving thoe g's?

surely speed and g's have to have a connection. No?
    That's probably why they don't bother publishing the speed. For the same diameter circle, the same lateral acceleration is reached at pretty much the same speed. Of course, there will be some variation depending on where the accelerometer is placed inside the test vehicle and how well they account for body roll (don't want gravity inflating those lateral-g figures, now do we?).
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Wow! Long time no post!

Jim, It's good to hear that you, Tippy, and your Protege are doing well! :-)
    -Larry

Thanks Larry, I'll try to stop in more often, slowly catching up on my work schedule, now work til 2:00AM instead of 4:00AM. (Not bragging, complaining.) LOL!

I was trying to remember what I was doing before all the crap hit my desk. Oh, yeah, I was on Edmunds and that other place. Seems like years ago.

I was looking at 2002 Proteges at my dealer's yesterday, just to get out for while. Mazda really needs a new Protege! They are swapping parts between the LX and the ES to make the current models, such as the black grill bar and black headlight trim from the ES on all 5-speed LX models. Pathetic facelift! One new color looks good, it's between the Sand Mica and Silver Metalic, forget the name. I would like the Sage Green Metallic used on the MPV.

Saw a Mazda MX3-v6 today, the little hatchback from years past, it had a Virginia plate -- XUM XUM. Still looked sharp.

big_H, thanks for the road kill's view of Falls Church. jk

fowler3
    I still think the '99-'00 ES was the nicest looking Protege, and that's after owning two '92s, my current '00 and my wife's '02 Protege5. In my opinion, the '01s and '02s don't look as classic in the front end -- dare I say "plain" -- I think because they got rid of the little chrome piece at the front of the hood and the amber signal light lenses. Whatever the case, I still think my '00 ES looks better. (And I feel Larry will support me on this.) And while I know they did it to stiffen things a little, I abhor that crease running down the middle of the hood in the '01s and '02s.

Don't clobber me -- just my opinion guys.

Looking forward to MAPP IV! I've already signed up as an "official" attendee.

BTW Larry, you comin'?

Meade
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    I actually prefer the "creased" hood on the 01-02 Proteges. I think it makes the Pro look more aggressive. The older hood looked like is was left over from the aeropod styling of the 2nd gen. Pro. The thing I wish I had from the 99-00 models is the headlights. The wrap around assembly on the 01-02 models breaks up the lines coming down the hood in an unnatural way to my eye. Maybe with the creased hood lines, they thought the older headlights made the front end look too busy. As we have seen with the Aztek, too many accent lines can get you into trouble.
    I had a 1999 and then a 2001, and I never really could tell the difference with the creased hood, unless I saw the cars side by side. I like the 2001 front end better, with the integrated turn signal lights as well as the fog lights in the bumper. One good thing is that the 2001 doesn't leave big gaping openings in the front fascia if you didn't pay for the fog light option like the 1999-00 Proteges did.
    1. Both generations had optional driving (not fog) lights in the bumper.

2. The '99s and '00s did NOT leave "big gaping openings in the front fascia" if you didn't pay for the option. My 2000 ES, which does not have fog lights, has covers over those openings that match the grille cover.

I personally think the optional driving lights on either car are WAY too close to the ground, and are just asking for a wayward pebble to smash them to pieces.

Meade
    Clear ones made from acrylic (easily smashed itself) or polycarbonate (much more impact-resistant), those open-grille mesh types (not as good IMO) or the clear flexible urethane 3M film (pre-cut or cut-it-yourself from a stock rectangular piece) would protect these $250 investments.
    Why don't these wayyyyy-overpriced options (what, four to five times the cost of aftermarket ones that DO come with covers?) come with factory covers? Hmmmmmmm?

BTW, I'm very familiar with the need for covers. I installed a very nice set of Sylvanias (built for light, not for looks) on my old Protege. I was on the Blue Ridge Parkway in 1993, at night, behind an RV. He went through some gravel and here came a bunch of gravel bouncing down the road toward me, and the delightful sound of breaking glass from my front end. Hey -- they came with covers, but I was USING them at the time!

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    are not optional on the 2001 and up ES models, they come standard.
    Meade