Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    I'll get you back one of these days.

:)

--Dale
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    are about a year away, but things are very hush hush about what it will look like. The talk says that it will be better in every way...no first hand knowledge though.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    The Protege name will be dropped for the next generation and the car will instead be called the Mazda3. I believe the car will be debuting(sp?) at the Tokyo Motor show in about a month. Reports say the car looks a lot like the RX-8 and I have seen a few pretty convincing pictures and they look amazing. Keep an eye out everyone.
  • glideslopesglideslopes Member Posts: 431
    Man, I just posted a little note in the Civic forum where they were bashing the C&D review of the Protege' LX, calling C&D a trash publication?

They attacked me like I was stealing their first born child for god sake!

I'd say folks are fairly nervous these day as their Honda's design into snooze mode.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • rsparrowrsparrow Member Posts: 60
    I thought it was great that the Protege was once again Car & Driver's #1 pick in the subcompact car category...Here it is in its 5th and final year of the current generation and it still beat the all-new Corolla, Civic etc...The only big criticism, if I recall correctly, was that they rated fuel economy in the same league as 10th place Kia--I guess that's bad!

As for the 2004 Mazda 3, I haven't seen any pictures yet, but I'm sure lots of us have seen pictures of the Mazda 2 (Europe)...It's got a Mazda 6-like interior. I'm betting the 3 will be much the same...
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    those crushed milkshake cups do look bad on your sunscreen, get'um out? Very messy! LOL!

meinrad, no buzzards yet, I keep looking.

The only car I ever had to replace a clutch in was the 1986 Accord at 38,000 miles. Must have been due to holding it in at traffic lights. I remember the Audi dealer telling me to shift to nutral at all traffic lights to prevent early clutch replacement in the Fox. They make them better now.

The Accord clutch went out as I was on a bypass around Lynchburg, Va. (Meadball's old hometown). Fortunately, I was able to make it into town to the
    dealer I bought it from. It was 4:30PM and they closed at 5:00PM. Great dealer! They kept two service techs overtime, had a replacement clutch in stock, and had me back on the road by 7:00PM - $300.

fowler3
    Go Angels!
  • chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    what ru doing up so late?
  • dermendermen Member Posts: 31
    I took your advice and played 9 holes today. I did pretty bad(61) but it was 40 degrees outside and I've only been playing for a month. My personal best is 111 for 18 holes.

What do you guys think of the auto dimming mirror with compass and temp. display? I am thinking about getting one because I have a 10% off parts coupon. When I flip the thing on my mirror I see the reflection of the roof of my car better than I can see anything behind me.
    I'll wager they go all the way.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    10th
    Kia Spectra
    Verdict: Why buy used when you can get brand new 80's sophistication?

9th
    Suzuki Aero
    Verdict: Part-time charmer, full-time nonconformist.

8th
    Nissan Sentra
    Verdict: Just the right couch for potatoes needing transist.

7th
    Dodge Neon
    Verdict: No longer cute, no longer crude, Neon settles for the committee approach.

6th (tie)
    Mitsubishi Lancer
    Verdict: Woderfully flingable machinery packed in an oddly shaped box.

6th (tie)
    Honda Civic
    Verdict: Something new from Honda...a loser.

4th
    Ford Focus
    Verdict: Lose the front seats, and we'd smile on this car.

3rd
    Toyota Corolla
    Verdict: Short-legged drivers will love this car, others will respect it.

2nd
    Hyundai Elantra
    Verdict: If you can find a better portfolio of feels and features at this price, buy it.

1st
    Mazda Protegé
    Verdict: A four-door Miata
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    now where's that ragtop version of our beloved Pro??? :-D
  • alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    1986 -- $300, I wonder what a clutch replacement on an Accord would cost today?
    Here is a link to some images of our new 02 MPV along with our beloved 00 Protege' ES 5-Speed.

Look at that 00 ES shine!

Mark. : )

http://www.mpvclub.com/forum/index.php?board=26;action=display;threadid=1546

• dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    what a wonderful pic Mark :)

Dinu
    I know the feeling. You have no idea how many times I buffed each vehicle prior to the shots. I must have moved them a dozen times in the driveway before getting my shots.

I still enjoy driving and buffing my Pro ES as much as the day I drove it off the lot. We purchased our MPV from the same rep as our Protege'. She had been expecting us!

Mark.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    It's rare to be able to buy a car 2 years later from the same person who sold you one 2 years ago. Turnover in the automotive field is outrageous and I rarely get to use the same salesman twice.
    I was walking toward my car from my apt today, and what do you know, there it was, one of the residents' Protege parked right behind mine. It's an ES too!

So, to remember this wonderful occassion, I took a couple pics with my trusty digicam :)

(and no, that's not Meade :-D )

• newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Thanks for posting that. I think Car and Driver likes the Protege. Hmmm..."A 4 door Miata...with BMW verve" Could anything better have been said about my $15K car? I like it.
    Go Angels!

What a game huh? Whoda thunk they'd ever best the Yanks? I came through for you Todd, but it looks like your boys aren't going to get a chance at the angels.
    I don't know why you care about the Angels ... they are going to lose to the Braves anyways :)
    I don't know how anyone can like baseball. It's definitely an acquired taste (like NASCAR), although I will admit last year's World Series was AMAZING! And I'm not a fan by any means.

Now hockey is starting. That's a sport. And soccer too. And WRC rallying! And CART! And F1!

Ok I'll stop before Todd starts with college football.

Dinu
    The Toronto Star had 3 pages/articles dedicated to Mazda today.

1/2 page on the 6 > They tested it in Quebec and LOVED IT!

1/2 page on the RX-7 as a used car: loved it b/c it's a sports car, but people had a long list of complaints.

1 page on the MazdaSpeed3: $27.000CDN. A GTI is $26.000CDN. But they liked the MS3 anyway (except that annoying MP3 player with mini-butons).

Dinu
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ha! okay, Cindy, pigs are flying somewhere, because I agree with you, the Braves will win the series (finally!) --- let's say in 6!!
    What are you gonna say next Pat?

That the Braves will win it all? Ok you actually said that. But did you all know my beloved Montreal Canadiens beat Ottawa 9-4 tonite?

It's gonna be a fun season in hockey land!

Dinu
    The Braves will choke of course ... they always do. But they better hurry up and win before all their pitchers get old.

But for now, I do not even want to think about sports .. I just watched the Tennessee vs. Arkansas game ... SIX OVERTIMES ... but Tenn. won... YAY! .. but they barely beat Arkansas .. a non top 25 team ... but on the positive side Florida got beat too in conference play so Tennessee still has a shot at the SEC champ .. am I rambling? I thought so.....
    I don't know why you care about the Angels ...

I care because they have never been all-stars. The Angels are a minor league team in a major league stadium. to see them crush the Yanks is pure joy.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Look up what the Yankees did in the following two seasons the last time they went out in the first round of the playoffs?

Mark. ; )

p.s. The Angels will go all the way.
    "but it looks like your boys aren't going to get a chance at the angels."

We'll see today. You never know with the Twins. There is some serious deja-vu going on. St. Louis and Atlanta are in from the NL? We beat those two teams in two different World Series. After we beat the A's (hopefully), bring on the Angels. We'll have home field advantage and we have the BIGGEST home field advantage in the majors.

BTW, we're basically a minor league team too.
    Comiskey Park and Wrigley Field in my

PROTEGE.
    I often listen to WCCO for Twins games in my PROTEGE.
    Much better, Todd.

;)

--Dale
    some anonymous person
    Tuesday.
    should be one hell of a series!
    I took the Pro to the autocross again today. This is the 2nd event that I ran with the MP3 rear sway bar installed. Now that I've got the sway bar properly installed, the car does turn around much faster around the corners, though with a constant throttle at the turn it still understeers a bit.

This time I actually tried to do well, but alas, in my last run my lapse of concentration had me ran off-course, not a good way to end my season :-(

did smoke up the tires real good while on the course though ;-)

I will regroup and see if I still want to run the Pro in autox, or get a 2nd beater car to offset the beating the tires get (mines are almost bald on the edges!)...
  • theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Why not get a second set of tires for AutoXing and another for day to day driving? Some Miata alloy wheels are very light.
  • fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    Glidesopes, your link crashed my Mac! That web site must have been designed by a Packard-Bell. Sheesh!

A "four door Miatta"? Could be, but more like Mazda's best shot at making a small Millennia with BMW handling.

I saw a Subaru Baja up close this evening. What a nightmare! Looks like it was designed for people who can't decide what they want to do:they have half a mind to hawl something so Subaru put a half of a truck bed on it. They have half a mind to take friends along so it has an extended cab, and they might go surfing or skateboarding so there's a half-roof-length rack which will carry the skateboard nicely. Bajahumbug!

fowler3
    Best case scenario for either of our teams.

Should be one heck of a match-up.

Content: Too bad the Protege never faces such tough competition.
    that might be something I could consider. But I am trying to save up some money for grad school next fall....

In a way I am glad I am done with autox for the season, my inner competitiveness was getting to me and I was losing concentration at the races, resulting in off-course runs and overly aggressive driving that slowed the car down even more than I already am (and killing the tires at the same time too! :-( )

but, since it was such a beautiful day at the autocross, While I was waiting for the previous run group to complete their runs, I snapped a nice pic of my Pro parked on the side of the road.

• meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    LoL, Hank, you need to quit running off course, people are going to think the Pro can't handle it!
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Malt,

Does the 2001 2.0L Protege engine take the same spark plugs as the 2000 2.0L 626? More to the point, if I purchased the NGK Platinum plugs for the 2.0L 626, should they fit in my 2.0L Protege?

Thanks,
    Ted
    The reason I asked about the plugs is that NGK doesn't seem to sell any plug specifically for the 2.0L Protege.
    They both use a BKR5E-11 or BKR5EVX-11.
  • dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    Buy the tires instead. :-)
    What is the real difference between the NGK G-Power Platinum and the NGK VX Platinum plugs (besides the price)?
    I hit a couple Rally Monkeys on the way to work today and now my Protege pulls to the left. A Rally Monkey shouldn't damage my car, so would this be covered by warranty? I know there are going to be even more Rally Monkeys on Tuesday and I'm affraid I won't be able to avoid them.
    What's a rally monkey?

Dinu
    Ask Malt, he knows. They're kinda annoying, and they make a nice "thud" sound, followed by monkey screams after you run over them.